Need testers for some big changes on staging

load previous
Sep 6, 2024 8:30 am
Can't check notifications right now, but here are some games that are favourited but don't show up on the main page for me:
1601, 1950, 4467, 4566.

Also, for some reason staging is working really bad for me right now, times slower than prod. Wonder if it's just me. D:
Sep 6, 2024 2:05 pm
Keleth says:
As for bookmarks, this is an interesting one. Adam's code has the favorites by characterID/gameID.
I was just testing bookmarks on the main site (Prod) and as far as I can tell, characters are ordered purely alphabetically (ignoring whether it is your own character or not), while games are sorted by two categories (top are games you are in, bottom are games you are not in). Within these categories they are ordered alphabetically (ignoring emojis?):
https://i.imgur.com/olrbh0w.png

Top to bottom the gameids are:

Top five are games I'm in, bottom five are games I'm not in.
Last edited September 6, 2024 2:07 pm
Sep 6, 2024 2:22 pm
If I bookmark an 11th game, 8862 (Tutorial Development Game) is kicked off the list which is neither the lowest gameid, nor the highest gameid. It is the bottom of the two category alphabetical list.
Sep 6, 2024 3:09 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
I was just testing bookmarks on the main site (Prod) and as far as I can tell, characters are ordered purely alphabetically (ignoring whether it is your own character or not), while games are sorted by two categories (top are games you are in, bottom are games you are not in). Within these categories they are ordered alphabetically (ignoring emojis?):
Looking at the code, I think you're right about games.

https://i.imgur.com/W6wNGmV.png

Characters should just be label sorted (code).
Sep 6, 2024 5:52 pm
Yah, the grouping is something I'll adjust in v2 as well. Make it all alphabetic, with a marking to note if you're in the game or not.
Sep 6, 2024 7:29 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
Can't check notifications right now, but here are some games that are favourited but don't show up on the main page for me:
1601, 1950, 4467, 4566.
I can confirm that these would display if we didn't limit to 10. So basically it's again about picking how we display favorites (by date, name, etc).

So I think for characters, I'm going to go by ID. That's what it currently is and while I don't love it, its at least something.

For games, my proposal is in the header we show only games you're in, sorted by when they were created, descending (so most recently created first).

Thoughts?
Sep 7, 2024 1:13 pm
Keleth says:
I can confirm that these would display if we didn't limit to 10. So basically it's again about picking how we display favorites (by date, name, etc).
It's not the dropdown menu. I don't see them on the main page. Main page doesn't have the limit, does it? (If it does, then it's prod that's broken since I'm seeing 19 games on it. XD)
Also, I don't see any bookmarked games on the main page, at all. Even if it was about the limit, something should've been visible?

PS: staging still works incredibly badly for me even on my main connection.
Last edited September 7, 2024 1:16 pm
Sep 7, 2024 2:33 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
I don't see them on the main page. Main page doesn't have the limit, does it?
The home page? The "Your Games" section at the bottom?
FlyingSucculent says:
Also, I don't see any bookmarked games on the main page, at all. Even if it was about the limit, something should've been visible?
Bookmarked games show up on the home page? That's weird, but I can fix that.
FlyingSucculent says:
PS: staging still works incredibly badly for me even on my main connection.
I'm not having an issue. Can anyone else weigh in?
Sep 7, 2024 2:42 pm
Keleth says:
FlyingSucculent says:
1601, 1950, 4467, 4566.

So I think for characters, I'm going to go by ID. That's what it currently is and while I don't love it, its at least something.

For games, my proposal is in the header we show only games you're in, sorted by when they were created, descending (so most recently created first).

Thoughts?
Currently (looking at the code):

Games:
If you have no games bookmarked, it's the first six non-retired games (by id) that you're a player in, then alpha ordered (ignoring emoji).
If you have games bookmarked, it's all of those (no limit), ordered by those you play in, then alpha (ignoring emoji).

Characters are similar (limit of 6 until favouriting), but it appears the alpha sorting doesn't strip emoji.

The idea is that once a user starts favouriting things then they control how big the header gets.
Sep 7, 2024 3:30 pm
Adam says:
If you have no games bookmarked, it's the first six non-retired games (by id) that you're a player in, then alpha ordered (ignoring emoji).
If you have games bookmarked, it's all of those (no limit), ordered by those you play in, then alpha (ignoring emoji).

Characters are similar (limit of 6 until favouriting), but it appears the alpha sorting doesn't strip emoji.

The idea is that once a user starts favouriting things then they control how big the header gets.
Yah, but it's rough on design. I have a solution in mind for v2, but I don't love it right now. I guess I could leave it. Problem is with just SQL, I'm not sure I can change the limit based on if there are bookmarks or not.
Sep 7, 2024 3:32 pm
Sure. I'm just saying what it does now, not what it should do.
Sep 7, 2024 3:46 pm
Keleth says:
The home page? The "Your Games" section at the bottom?
Keleth says:
Bookmarked games show up on the home page? That's weird, but I can fix that.
Wait, what? The "Bookmarked Games" section. There is no way it is not an intended feature.
FlyingSucculent sent a note to Keleth
Are you implying that you're deleting it for v2? Why?
Last edited September 7, 2024 3:47 pm
Sep 7, 2024 5:49 pm
Note: If you remove the bookmarked games that people aren't in from the header there is no other way to access them other then digging through the games list, which sort of defeats the purpose of being able to bookmark them.

I think we should keep things the same for now and revisit for V2. Currently, it is mostly alphabetically organized, which seems to be what most people favor.

I guess you could make one adjustment to make it more consistent. You could change the sorting to be alphabetical if no bookmarks are used (instead of sorting by id if no bookmarks are used). That way the header is always sorted alphabetically regardless of whether users have bookmarked or not.
Sep 7, 2024 5:57 pm
@Chalrytharendir
Can you check if staging is working fine for you, please, if you have a second?
Sep 7, 2024 6:02 pm
Seems completely broken to me at the moment. The website hangs indefinitely, only showing the header.
Sep 7, 2024 6:11 pm
Thank you, so it's not just me. I was about to go digging in browser settings. :'D
Sep 7, 2024 6:17 pm
No problem, I'm glad I saved you from the hell scape of messing with your browser settings for no reason XD
Sep 7, 2024 10:08 pm
Ok, then I need to figure out how to do a query that will limit it to 6 if no bookmarks, and as many booksmarks if there are.
Sep 8, 2024 1:03 am
Chalrytharendir says:
Note: If you remove the bookmarked games that people aren't in from the header there is no other way to access them other then digging through the games list, which sort of defeats the purpose of being able to bookmark them.
I think this is where some confusion has been coming in. We have bookmarked games on the home page (I just put in that fix, can you check FlyingSucculent). That's staying, regardless. I was thinking of removing all the dropdowns in the header for v2.
Sep 8, 2024 1:27 am
Ok, here's what I've done with the header:

Characters - If you have no characters favorited, it shows your first 6 characters, alphabetically. If you have characters favorited, it shows all your favorited characters only, alphabetically.

Games - If you have no games favorited, it shows your first 6 games, sorted by if you're the gm or not, then alphabetically in that sub group. If you have games favorited, it shows all your favorited games, sorted by if you're the gm or not, then alphabetically in that sub group.

Thoughts?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.