Character Creation

Jul 14, 2024 3:18 am
Use this character sheet, please:
[ +- ] Sotdl
For quick communication with me and your fellow players, come to this discord. https://discord.com/invite/Zs36YCFW
Jul 14, 2024 11:23 am
Make all character creation posts in this thread, including all rolls and decisions.

Resourced Allowed
All official books allowed. Some 3PP books are allowed; please ask me before using them.

If you don't own any of the books, that's ok. I can help you select your ancestries and paths, or help locate the book for you to purchase.

Selecting An Ancestry
Non-Powerful Ancestries: You may select any you like. If you're brand new, I recommend keeping to the core book. Some ancestries have been published in more than one book; if you select an ancestry that has multiple options, I may limit which book to use (for example, sylph from DLC2 can't be used, but sylph from Heaven's Sent can).

Powerful Ancestry: Centaur, Jotun, and Soulbound Armor are allowed.

Attributes
Select the standard attributes for your ancestry. We will not be rolling for attributes. As always, you can take a +1 to any one attribute for a -1 in a different attribute.

Charts and Tables
⋅ Roll or select from any of the tables.

Starting Equipment
Give yourself some equipment that makes sense for your character to have. Everyone also starts with two enchanted items; if you have an idea for what you'd like, let me know and I can craft something for you.

Please note that some of the character creation tables may grant an enchanted item - if you select this, it still counts at the two that you start with.

Novice Path
If you have a Powerful Ancestry, then you will not have a novice path. Your ancestry will lay out the options for levels 1, 2, and 5.

If you have a normal ancestry, then you can select a novice path. Everyone should already know which path they want. The expanded novice books are allowed, but for new folks, the core book is perfectly good to use.

Expert Path
You will select Paladin. It's on page 68.

Traditions of Magic
Magic works like this:

Your path will tell you if you can get a tradition or a spell. You cannot gain a new spell from a tradition unless you already know the tradition, so you always have to pick a tradition first. When you first pick a tradition, you automatically gain one rank 0 spell from that tradition.

After you know the tradition, if your path tells you that you can learn a spell, then you can learn any spell from that tradition, so long as your power score allows it.

Your power score determines the maximum rank you can learn, so if you have Power 1, you can learn Rank 0 and Rank 1 spells. Your power score also says how many times you can cast each spell. If you have Power 1, then you can cast your Rank 0 spells twice per day and your Rank 1 spells once per day. This limit is per spell, so if you have three rank 0 spells, you can cast each of them twice per day.

Your religion is the Cult of the New God. Your religious traditions are Celestial, Life, and Theurgy. If your path says you have to select from a religious tradition, these are the three you can choose from. However, you're allowed to swap one of them out for a different tradition to help customize which sect you might belong to.

If your path does not say you have to select from a religious tradition, then you're free to select any tradition you want. However, dark magic is forbidden.

Additional Requirements

1) Use the character sheet provided.

2) Make your character sheet public.

3) If you're experienced with this game, help those who aren't with their character building.
Jul 14, 2024 11:26 am
I feel the best way to go about character creation is to go level by level. Start with level 0 and your ancestry. Use the normal rules. If you've never played this game before, I will gladly help you make your character.

Then level up to 1 with your chosen novice path. Repeat until you get to level 6.

A decision on House Rules:
Each time you level up, you can choose to swap out a spell. There's two rule sets for this: Core and Occult Philosophy.

The Core rules states that whenever you learn a new spell, you can also swap out a different spell you have already learned. The swap must be of equal rank or lower.

The Occult Philosophy rules states that when you're eligible to learn a spell, you can swap out one spell you know for a different one. There's no restriction on rank, but you can only do this once per level.

I will leave it up to you guys which rules we should use.

Core or OP rules for swapping spells? Public

Core
Occult Philosophy
Jul 14, 2024 1:25 pm
I'm going to be an elf magician/paladin. I'll update with more info as I decide.

Background: You had a tryst with a human that resulted in the birth of a faun. You abandoned both.
Faerie Mark: Tail of a monkey.
Quirk: The smell of iron sickens you.
Personality: You are curious about the world beyond your home and seek new experiences among the fascinating creatures there.
Professions: Courtier and storyteller.
Interesting Thing: A purple crystal, one inch wide and nine inches long.
Wealth: Getting by
Last edited July 16, 2024 11:24 am

Rolls

Elf background - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Age - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Faerie Mark x3 - (3d6, 3d6, 3d6)

3d6 : (232) = 7

3d6 : (214) = 7

3d6 : (233) = 8

Quirk - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Personality - (3d6)

(254) = 11

Professions - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (10) = 10

1d20 : (11) = 11

Interesting Thing - (1d6, 1d20)

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d20 : (8) = 8

Wealth - (3d6)

(326) = 11

Jul 14, 2024 10:14 pm
[ +- ] LEVEL 0 - Ancestry (Changeling)
[ +- ] LEVEL 1 - Novice Path (Rogue)
[ +- ] LEVEL 2: Novice Path (Rogue)
[ +- ] LEVEL 3: Expert Path (Paladin)
[ +- ] LEVEL 4: Ancestry (Changeling)
[ +- ] LEVEL 5: Novice Path (Rogue)
[ +- ] LEVEL 6: Expert Path (Paladin)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1262019852017602672/1262194719618760774/Shadow.jpg?ex=6697b02f&is=66965eaf&hm=b2a807818c813ddc1df588aa84d09aa58d8766d68faa0e4029b31954ccf9d160&
Last edited July 17, 2024 12:23 pm

Rolls

Background - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Lifestyle - (3d6)

(416) = 11

Interesting Things roll for table - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Interesting Things roll on table - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Level 3 Interesting Things roll for table - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Level 3 Interesting Things - (1d20)

(18) = 18

reroll Level 3 Interesting Things for table - (1d6)

(3) = 3

reroll Level 3 Interesting Things on table - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jul 14, 2024 11:29 pm
Alrighty, well... this is all brand new to me so here goes!

Background: You spent 1 year as a prisoner in a dungeon.

Personality You put your interests and those of your friends above all else.

Religion: You follow the tenets of the Old Faith.

Build: You are average in height and weight.

Appearance: You are perfectly average in appearance. You look like everyone else.

...huh. I'm about as average as they come.

Wealth: Getting By. You earn enough to meet all your expenses.
-- You have a dagger, a staff or club or sling with 20 stones, basic clothing, a backpack, a week of rations, a waterskin, a tinderbox, 1 torch, and a pouch containing 6 cp.

Interesting Things: A box of cigars or a pipe and pouch of tobacco.
[ +- ] Level 1 - Warrior
[ +- ] Level 2 - Warrior
[ +- ] Level 3 - Paladin
[ +- ] Level 4 - Human
[ +- ] Level 5 - Warrior
[ +- ] Level 6 - Paladin
Last edited July 18, 2024 5:25 am

Rolls

Background - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Personality - (3d6)

(433) = 10

Religion - (3d6)

(331) = 7

Build - (3d6)

(561) = 12

Age - (3d6)

(125) = 8

Appearance - (3d6)

(543) = 12

Prisoner - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Wealth - (3d6)

(522) = 9

Interesting Things Roll 1 - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Interesting Things Roll 2 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Torches - (1d3)

(1) = 1

CP - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Trait: Positive - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Trait: Negative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Negative trait reroll - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 15, 2024 1:41 am
Welcome! Please join th Discord if you're able. We can have much quicker back and forth for helping you make a character! :)
Jul 15, 2024 3:43 am
I have never used Discord.
Jul 15, 2024 4:19 am
Well, if you ever do, come on by!

Otherwise, I'll do my best to help you make a character here.

If you submit your character sheet, I can assist with filling it out, as well.
Jul 15, 2024 6:43 am
https://i.imgur.com/rNhbmN4.jpeg

Navigator Caranthir son of Imlerith

Build: Short 8ft 420lbs
Chalky White, Crimson Eyes, Thick, Brutish

Professional Whaler.
A storm destroyed my ship and I was alone in your backwater kingdom.

I am 35yrs old

I am Grimnir's Knight, a paragon of blood and iron. Your bucolic language calls it a paladin.

Level 1 Jotun
Increase 2 Attributes by +1 (Str and Int)
Health +6
Catch Your Breath

Level 2 Jotun
Health +6
Magic: Power +1 Tradition: Runes, Translate Anything
Weapon Training

Level 3 Paladin
Attributes: +1 Str, +1 Int
Health +4 Power +1
Magic: Tradition Water, Produce Water
Divine Smite
Faith Healing

Level 4 Jotun
Health +6
Magic: Spell: Ice Cage

Level 5 Jotun
Health +6
Titan's Strike
Magic: Power +1, Ice Shards

Level 6 Paladin
Health +4
Magic: Spell
Divine Vigor
Sense Enemies

I carry a Mummified human head, named Mimir, I speak to it when I need wisdom.

I wear The Enchanted Suit of Plate, Keening.
The armor radiates menace. Creatures within 5 yards of it make Will challenge rolls with 1 bane to resist being frightened.

I hold the Navigation rod for our ship.

I carry an etched stone bearing Hruntnir's Heart rune

Armed and Armored to the Teeth
https://i.imgur.com/JrOK0xz.jpeg
Last edited July 16, 2024 7:52 pm

Rolls

Jotun Build - (3d6)

(113) = 5

Appearance - (3d6)

(424) = 10

Personality - (3d6)

(345) = 12

Profession - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Background - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Age - (3d6)

(632) = 11

Interesting Thing - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Enchanted Plate Armor Properties - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Table 5 Properties - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Enchanted Maul Properties - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Table 1 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Interesting thing Level 3 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Lifestyle - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jul 15, 2024 7:20 am
I, too, shall make a jotun! Let the ice-capades commence!

Build: You are a typical jotun, 9 feet tall and 700 pounds.
Appearance: You have light blue skin with dark patches under your eyes and in the creases of your skin. Your irises are white with red flecks.
Personality: You do and take what you want because you are strong. You are given to boasts and never back down from a challenge.
Profession: Fisher or whaler
Background: You found a great treasure. Begin the game with one enchanted object created by the GM.
Interesting Thing: A golden torc worth 1d3 gc

https://i.imgur.com/UXmBxD5.jpeg
Last edited July 15, 2024 10:52 am

Rolls

Build - (3d6)

(524) = 11

Appearance - (3d6)

(655) = 16

Personality - (3d6)

(613) = 10

Profession - (d20)

(14) = 14

Background - (d20)

(20) = 20

Age - (3d6)

(125) = 8

Interesting Thing of the Frozen Wastes - (d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 15, 2024 1:27 pm
@Jomsviking Nice! Just a small heads up for lore - Jotun have a blue skinned hue. I might be able to alter that photo of yours, if you like.

I'm not that worried about being strict on lore, so if you want to keep it as is, that's ok too.
Jul 15, 2024 5:47 pm
Bookrat says:
@Jomsviking Nice! Just a small heads up for lore - Jotun have a blue skinned hue. I might be able to alter that photo of yours, if you like.

I'm not that worried about being strict on lore, so if you want to keep it as is, that's ok too.
The roll I got said Chalk White some kinda mutant. Which will explain his immense magical power!
Jul 15, 2024 7:45 pm
Joms: Nice! Want me to make him have more chalk-white skin tone, or are you happy with the image as is?

Everyone: There has been a request for each player to dedicate one of their language spots to a secret hand signal language - this will allow everyone to secretly communicate with each other so long as you have a free hand.
Jul 15, 2024 8:07 pm
He is already a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale. And that pink can be explained by his not being in a subzero environment and quarter elf quarter wraith.
Jul 15, 2024 8:09 pm
@Jomsviking would you like our characters to have known each other before becoming paladins? Since we’re both jotuns and both rolled fisher/whaler for background, perhaps we were on the same ship that sank, or we could even be related.
Jul 15, 2024 8:28 pm
Jomsviking says:
He is already a 1 on the Fitzpatrick scale. And that pink can be explained by his not being in a subzero environment and quarter elf quarter wraith.
Sounds good!

Just a heads up for spell selection - remember that when you learn a new tradition, you ALSO gain one rank 0 spell. So you should have one rank 0 spell for each tradition you know. So your level 2 Jotun, when you learn a tradition, you get that rank 0, and then you learn an additional spell on top of that (either rank 0 or Rank 1) - because your level 2 says you get both a tradition and a spell.

Later levels then say you can learn a new tradition (w/ a rank 0) OR learn a new spell from a tradition you already know (any rank up to your power score at that level).

Additionally, each time you level up, you can swap one previously learned spell for another spell of any tradition you know (up to the highest rank you can learn at that level).
Jul 15, 2024 8:54 pm
Dmbrainiac says:
@Jomsviking would you like our characters to have known each other before becoming paladins? Since we’re both jotuns and both rolled fisher/whaler for background, perhaps we were on the same ship that sank, or we could even be related.
Mulling some ideas over, thinking a dynamic like Tormund Giantsbane and Beautiful Brynn. We could be the power couple? Haven't played one of those ever. So it has an appeal. What do you think?
Jul 15, 2024 9:04 pm
Sure, that would be fun, especially since I’m younger, taller, and heavier than you! :D
Jul 15, 2024 10:12 pm
What is everyone picking for their traditions?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.