Saving Face

load previous
Sep 5, 2024 11:33 pm
Fachtna nods along. "I feel they are unrelated, but we should keep out minds open to the possibility. What exactly is this Golden Tide? Do the water glow gold? How often does a Golden Tide occur? And more importantly, why were some worried at first? Has there been any negative occurrences with a Golden Tide before? It appears to me that this is related to the events at hand."
Sep 6, 2024 11:35 am
"if you go out on a boat, or get to a high spot around the bay, you can see it. There's a golden spot of water out there. It doesn't really move, but we can sometimes see it under the water as it rides the currents. No one knows what it is."
Sep 6, 2024 1:00 pm
"Ah yes, we did see it from atop the hill on the way into town. The waters were chaotic, and we watched the tides drag away an otter on the beach. We witnessed the flowing gold spreading out via the currents ourselves."
Sep 6, 2024 3:12 pm
"M'lady, has this 'Golden Tide' brought unrest in the past?" Hugh couldn't help but wonder just what was different this time...
Last edited September 6, 2024 3:12 pm
Sep 6, 2024 4:03 pm
"This is the first time we've ever seen it," she says."Although the MacPhails seem to believe it's a blessing of the gods, as they've taken on almost a religious fervor over it."
Sep 6, 2024 5:38 pm
"Even historically? Any records or stories of the Golden Tide from a bygone era?" Hugh shifts a bit, rubbing the back of his head for a moment as he thinks.

"If this is a brand new phenomenon, we're in uncharted, er... waters." He grins at his unintentional joke before falling silent again.
Sep 6, 2024 6:21 pm
Sigrid laughs heartily at the bad pun. "Ha! Perhaps we ought to dive down there and take a look for ourselves!"
Sep 6, 2024 6:23 pm
"Yes, I agree completely, Sigrid. I was building up to the same suggestion, so it seems we are on the same thought process."

Lorenzo nods with sincerity, believing that this is the best way to find clues on how to proceed from here.
Sep 6, 2024 9:02 pm
"Yes, like I suggested... an hour ago."

Caranthir was not one to let others take credit for his good ideas. They were too few in number.
Sep 7, 2024 5:49 pm
While everyone takes credit for Caranthir's ideas, pretending they didn't hear him earlier, the crew heads out to find suitable watercraft that can carry two jotuns and three humans, and an elf.
OOC:
With two expert sailors in the group, I'm going to assume you find one without too much difficulty.
The waters are a bit rough headed out, with strange currents that seem to have a mind of their own. The crests of the waves seem stiffer than they should be, sometimes forming up and then switching directions as if the water changed its mind about where it wanted to go. These seas are strange, to say the least. Nothing like what either Sigrid or Caranthir have ever seen before.

It takes some time to row out to the spot of golden water in the middle of the bay, but once there you can easily see that it's exactly what it is purported to be - a spot of golden colored water. It's not light reflecting off the surface or anything like that. It is literally water that is the color of gold. It seems to be coming up from the bottom, somewhere far down below. The water is not clear, so you can't see what's down there. The golden color also seems to be flowing away under the surface, making its way towards the clam beds.

Suddenly, an abnormally sized squid - easily the size of any of the humans on the boat, comes flying out of the water! Its hooked tentacles lash out, slashing at Caranthir as it flies over the boat! The tentacles miss, and the squid continues its flight, landing back into the water on the other side of the boat.

Rolls

Target: SCHLF (1d5) - (1d5)

(2) = 2

Hooked Tentacle Attack - (1d20+5+1d6)

(5) + (1) + 5 = 11

Damage - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 7, 2024 9:14 pm
"Oh look Dinner delivered itself."
Sep 7, 2024 11:31 pm
Fachtna does not like the open water and is hunkered down in the bow of the small watercraft. "If all creatures are that size, we'll need to procure a larger boat. So, who will descend to the depths?" He looks at the others, clearly not intending to get wet himself.
Sep 7, 2024 11:42 pm
Caranthir a practiced diver, in magic armor no less, winks at Sigrid and tumbles backwards into the water.
Sep 8, 2024 12:25 am
Hugh watches Caranthir drop backwards off the boat and looks at the others. "Sorry, I have an air habit I'm not willing to kick."
Sep 9, 2024 3:46 pm
Quickly rushing over to the side that Caranthir dived off of, Lorenzo peers down at the depths.

"I hope he knows what he's doing."

The priest steps back and retrieves some spare parts from his pack, beginning to work on a spell over the course of the next minute.
[ +- ] Dark Helmet | Technomancy | Attack | Rank 3 | Castings: 1 | Target: A point in space within medium range | 4 hours
Sep 9, 2024 3:47 pm
Quickly rushing over to the side that Caranthir dived off of, Lorenzo peers down at the depths.

"I hope he knows what he's doing."

The priest steps back and retrieves some spare parts from his pack, beginning to work on a spell over the course of the next minute.
[ +- ] Dark Helmet | Technomancy | Attack | Rank 3 | Castings: 1 | Target: A point in space within medium range | 4 hours
Sep 10, 2024 2:10 am
Caranthir falls into the water and takes a dive down into the depths.

Bookrat sent a note to Jomsviking
Sep 10, 2024 2:19 am
OOC:
Quick note water tradition rank 3 makes the sorceror grow gills and they gain the ability to breathe underwater
Caranthir swims up to the surface again and started to make for the boat. "Ahoy!" He called out and with his immense strength began to dolphin kick as fast as he could. "Its evil as briny Hel!"
Sep 10, 2024 2:20 am
OOC:
I had forgotten about that! Excellent call! Thank you!
Sep 10, 2024 3:15 pm
"Tell it not to make us come down there, and send it to its room!"

Mostly just the "us not coming down there" part.

Hugh peers over the side of the boat at the golden mass of evil, and wrestles with the idea they may well have to do just that -- go down there.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.