Saving Face

load previous
Sep 10, 2024 4:35 pm
After a minute, Lorenzo's technological marvel of magic is finished. He dons a bronze helm with a faceplate that bore a design resembling that of a spider's eyes. A glow of yellow hue rested in the eye sockets. As soon as it was finished, Lorenzo leaped over to extend a hand to Caranthir, assuming he may be in danger.

"Evil how?!"
Sep 10, 2024 9:28 pm
"The soul crushing, fleshwarping, scares the shit out of me type!" Caranthir replied as he was not ever prone to exaggeration. "We should leave now!" He added swimming as fast as he could back to the boat.
Last edited September 10, 2024 9:28 pm
Sep 10, 2024 11:24 pm
Fachtna pales more at the thought of fighting anything in the water more than whatever evil lurks down there. "If our jotun friend is concerned, I consider that persuasive enough to curtail our expedition for the meantime. Let us regroup and concoct a new plan. On land preferably."
Sep 10, 2024 11:26 pm
Hugh nods in agreement, not taking his eyes off the golden mass.

"I like land."
Sep 11, 2024 11:44 am
"One moment! Let me take a sample if we are to leave!"

After helping Caranthir aboard, Lorenzo would retrieve a flask of oil from his backpack. Without wasting time, he removes the stopper and dumps its contents into the sea. Briefly, he takes note of any interactions between the oil and the golden water, attempting to see if it still behaves as it would if it were normal water. Afterwards, he reaches into depths, filling the flask.
Sep 11, 2024 12:40 pm
The oil floats on the water for just a moment, before getting absorbed into it. The water seems to resist going into the flask, but eventually does so.

Headed back towards the shore....
OOC:
Perception challenge rolls for everyone! Please roll a d20 plus your perception score modifier. Check your character sheet to see if you have any boons or banes associated with perception challenge rolls.
Sep 11, 2024 12:43 pm
The priest keeps a watchful eye out for danger with the enhanced senses provided by his magical equipment.

Rolls

Perception Challenge roll (+Dark Helmet) - (1d20+3+2d6h1)

(3) + (53) + 3 = 11

Sep 11, 2024 12:51 pm
As usual, Sigrid is blissfully unaware of any potential dangers creeping up on the group!
Last edited September 11, 2024 12:52 pm

Rolls

Perception - (d20-3)

(6) - 3 = 3

Sep 11, 2024 1:57 pm
While Fachtna dislikes the water, one of his academic areas of study was Nature, and he has a natural talent for discerning between nature and magic.
Last edited September 11, 2024 1:58 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1d6+2)

(10) + (2) + 2 = 14

Sep 11, 2024 2:06 pm
OOC:
Hope I'm doing this right... Perception is listed as 10, so the modifier on a score of 10 should be +/-0?
Hugh can't take his eyes off the flask Lorenzo collected, thoroughly unhappy it's in the boat with them right now.
Last edited September 11, 2024 2:07 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Sep 11, 2024 8:43 pm
Caranthir is too engrossed appreciating how hot Sigrid is, wanting to distract himself from the stress of encountering capital EVIL.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-2)

(11) - 2 = 9

Sep 12, 2024 3:34 am
Bookrat sent a note to nezzeraj,TheForsakenEvil
Sep 12, 2024 12:49 pm
Lorenzo stops and stares at the shoreline with intention, eyes unblinking beneath his helmet. Suddenly, he starts shouting at the top of his lungs, flailing his arms about.

"RUN! RUN AWAY!"

He already knows they're too far away for the people on the shore to hear, but his heart could not take watching in silence.
Sep 12, 2024 1:56 pm
"What manner of foul creature is that? We should head towards it. We might not be able to save its prey, but maybe we can catch up to it before it can escape." And then away from this foul water, he thinks.
Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm
As Fachtna and Lorenzo react to something strange, everyone else can look up to see what they see. A small group of people are walking along the shore back towards town. Some strange, humanoid creature is tracking them, keeping hidden from them, ducking behind hill tops or trees to keep out of sight any time they merely suggest looking its direction.

Lorenzo's words do not reach the group. Between the distance and the sounds of the ocean and the winds, they cannot hear him.
Sep 12, 2024 4:28 pm
"Well, at least it's not underwater."
Sep 13, 2024 7:28 am
Sigrid does her best to get the boat back to shore as quickly as possible!
Sep 13, 2024 7:50 am
Row damnit row.

Row!
Sep 14, 2024 4:04 pm
The two Jotun, experienced on the water like no others, start rowing. The medium sized craft moves across the surface, cutting through the waves and turbulence of the bay. But despite their immense strength and skill, you can't get to the shore fast enough to stop what would happen.

The group of people continue to move towards the village, but one of them splits off from the rest, waving goodbye as they veer towards their own home. The strange humanoid creature stops and waits, letting the rest move on. The one human remaining seems blissfully unaware of it.

That's when it strikes. Sharp claws dart in with unimaginable speed, cutting into the poor person. It lands on top of them, and quickly silences them. You don't even hear a scream. It then drags its victim behind some trees, keeping them out of view of any who might walk this trail, and out of your own view as well.

It is this moment when you finally make land; the craft scrapping upon the shoreline as it comes to a stop. The spot of the attack was about 25 yards away. The creature and its victim cannot have gone far.
OOC:
I had planned on requiring you to do some tracking and follow the trail, but I think with two Jotun, both with professions related to boats and watercraft, that you'd get here a little early. Their strength and skill with the boat would grant additional speed that may not have been available otherwise. So instead of finding clues and tracking, you can instead have a chance at doing a chase scene! Please let me know what you're doing first as you make land. Remember that you may have professions which could help! See how you can use them to your advantage, and please ask me any questions you may have.

For those new to the system, professions are like skills in other d20 style games, but they're much more open and fluid. They are purposely broad, allowing you to figure out ways to apply them to a variety of situations. As players, its your job to figure out how to use your professions. As GM, its my job to figure out just how much of an advantage they may grant (if any). If I agree that it fits, then your profession could grant a boon, or negate a bane, or allow for automatic success, or allow for a chance at a roll when you might not otherwise even get one. For example, with this scene, Caranthir and Sigrid's professions granted you additional speed and changed the nature of this particular scene.
Sep 15, 2024 1:39 pm
Happy to be off the water, Fachtna jumps out of the boat as soon as they land. He is not quite so eager to go rushing in to danger with some unknown creature. Fachtna walks over to where the creature started stalking its victim and checked for any tracks left behind. If this was a creature of nature or of magic, he would be better armed with knowledge.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.