+ OPEN + Yokai Academy - OVA: The Anime RPG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

OpenCustomPrivate1 / dayMoyreau
Sixteen years ago, a battle between monsters and humans shook the world, tearing a piece of the veil that kept one world hidden from the other. Leaving Yokai Academy as a beacon of hope and peace. Now, a new group of first-year students steps into the academy, ready to embark on a school year filled with friendships, danger, and the everyday chaos of monster life.

But as these young students navigate the ruckus and hazard of their school days, they’ll occasionally stumble upon hints of something more—whispers of old conflicts and secret plots that might just turn their world upside down.

Aug 8, 2024 7:27 pm
Hi, I'm new in here (and to PbP in general), and would like to know if there would be interest in a game using "OVA: The anime RPG" and set in the universe of the Rosario + Vampire Manga, You're not required to have read it, though. As for the system, OVA is a pretty flexible and light game which let's you made pretty much any kind of character, and is focused on emulating a (primarily) shounen manga/anime narrative.

The system is pretty easy to learn, I'll share any info necessary for character creation with the chosen players. As for the setting, if you're not familiar with it, there's still a good amount of info in the wiki.

https://i.imgur.com/9D92pDK.jpeg
(Spoilers from the Manga ahead)
Set some 16 years after the end of the story. The players would roleplay as First Year high school students in Yokai Academy, a special school attended only by monsters. It was founded for the purpose of preparing young monsters for living normal lives in the human world, keeping their nature secret. However, everything changed 16 years ago, where the most powerful monster alive, Alucard, sought to destroy human civilization and return monsters to their place as rulers of the world. His devious plan was foiled by a group of students from Yokai Academy, who managed to defeat him, this conflict revealed the existence of monsters to the human world.

Now, the purpose of the school extended to also ensuring the continuous peaceful coexistence between monsters and humans, as radical factions from both races work to end this peace and plunge the world into chaos once again. This brings us to our new students; will they live up to the heroes they're meant to be?
I'm looking for 4-7 players to start, they would all be first year high school students in the academy, you could chose any monster race, either one shown in the manga or otherwise, and the system (and setting!) allow for great diversity of powers and abilities, even between characters of the same race. The PCs would live their common student life (always with some unusual situation to keep things interesting!), dealing with classes, clubs and blossoming their relationships and eventually take place in overarching plots where the fate of the academy (or even the world) would be at stake.
Past the 5 player mark, should be familiar with the setting, you could play another role, if desired.

I want this campaign to be split in two sections, one with "filler" content, where the characters will partake in comedic situations and develop their relationships, and a more serious tone, where narrative arcs would have their defining moments and climaxes. They would take place concomitantly, the first one taking place in an undefined chronology between the latest adventures. Overall, the campaign would mix adventure, battles, comedy and drama (without falling into cheesy melodrama).

As for tone, themes and content: it would be mostly lighthearted fun, with more serious situations arising at defining moments and climaxes; more mature themes could show in these times, and the PCs would be allowed to dwell in romance, but it all are to be SFW. Overall, following the tone of the series.

Finally, about availability, I'm at UTC -03:00; my availability during the week varies, I would able to write at least a post in the morning and other at night, or more.
I should say this is my fist attempt at PbP (I do have experience with text RPG through MUDs and Discord), so, if you're a seasoned PbP player, and interested in the campaign, some tips would be welcomed.

If you're interested, please let me know! I hope I can find at least 4 players to start this campaign. Feel free to leave a short description of your character concept in here too, if you'd like it. Your characters could even be the children of the original cast, if you so desire.
Last edited August 15, 2024 3:47 am
Aug 8, 2024 10:10 pm
I enjoyed the anime and read parts of the manga. I'm unfamiliar with the system but if we don't mind the learning curve I'd be interested in giving it a shot. I'd have to brush up on the system some to determine a character.
Last edited August 8, 2024 10:11 pm
Aug 11, 2024 4:49 am
Rosario+Vampire was cute.

MiniMoka might be fun, yeah?

I also like dragons and pretty girls, if my profile picture wasn't a dead giveaway for an anime fan. =p
Aug 12, 2024 1:03 am
BlondeDragonGenie says:
Rosario+Vampire was cute.

MiniMoka might be fun, yeah?

I also like dragons and pretty girls, if my profile picture wasn't a dead giveaway for an anime fan. =p
Great taste, by the way.
Aug 13, 2024 2:05 pm
I'm interested, but have only passing familiarity with Rosario+Vampire.

Would that be OK?
Aug 13, 2024 3:44 pm
jollycooperative says:
I'm interested, but have only passing familiarity with Rosario+Vampire.

Would that be OK?
Of course! No prior knowledge of the setting needed.
Aug 13, 2024 6:02 pm
Moyreau says:
Of course! No prior knowledge of the setting needed.
Then I'll confirm my interest!
Aug 13, 2024 6:03 pm
That's three of us. Not bad.
Aug 13, 2024 6:09 pm
Indeed, I'll create the campaign as soon as I can.
Aug 13, 2024 6:18 pm
No rush. It was just cool we got three people. You can never be sure how more niche games will turn out.
Aug 13, 2024 11:30 pm
Well, to be honest, until I figure out how make the character sheets for the game (which may take a while), much won't be done.
Aug 13, 2024 11:58 pm
Gimme some time I might be able to help with that. I've made a few sheets in the past, and while they aren't overly fancy they're serviceable enough.
Aug 14, 2024 2:11 am
I've never done it either, but we can do it together! Probably! Friendship and teamwork and stuff, yeah!
Aug 14, 2024 2:13 am
Really? That would be tremendously appreciated. Besides, no fanciness needed. The sheet is pretty simple overall,
[ +- ] Blank sheet

As you can see, it's just a bunch of blank spaces, these being examples of completed ones (they are from sample characters and thus are a bit different, but it's mostly the same):
[ +- ] Filled sheet

I honestly have no idea on what the difficulty for doing that would be though.
Last edited August 14, 2024 2:18 am
Aug 14, 2024 5:48 am
Pretty low, honestly. My phone has been dead and I just got home at almost 11pm/2300 so I'm calling it a night -- but tomorrow, I should get a sheet done.
Aug 14, 2024 4:57 pm
Just so everyone is up to speed, I have a character sheet started. I should be able to finish it as soon as I'm off work, and we'll be good to go.
Aug 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Alright! I'm fiddling with the forum, hoping something nice comes out of it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.