Scene 3: The Dungeon

Aug 30, 2024 3:07 pm
https://i.imgur.com/MGWIH93.jpeg

A lone torch at the end of its life lights the entrance to this musty dungeon. Leaning against one wall is a skeleton without a skull. Clutched in one of its bony hands is a fine scimitar. Those with darkvision can see further into the darkness and identify other curious items -- a shield, a book, and a frosty staff -- are scattered throughout the gloom. Multiple ladders at the far side ascend to closed cell doors.

Three black globs of ooze creep across the middle of the dungeon floor. Behind them, floating in the air, are several items: a glowing yellow gemstone, a skull, and a silvered frying pan.
Aug 30, 2024 6:54 pm
Crocodile Leana inflates her nostrils. Multiple olfactory receptors help her make sense of the new surroundings.
She finds herself still agitated by the dangers they have just avoided on the other side of the door. As Leana gets a whiff of the oozy puddles her instincts tell her to save her friends from the animated black stuff. Her reptile brain does not seem interested in anything other than eliminating the threat for now.

Leana moves her scaly body forward to the first offending goo and bites into it without reserve.

Rolls

attack - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

dmg - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

dmg crit - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Aug 30, 2024 7:50 pm
Skillfully ignoring Hindle and Merton's whining and urging, Brickowsky decides on the correct key, deliberately inserts it into the lock and opens it without haste. If you're in a hurry, you just can't afford to be hastily- old words. Genuine words. Slow and steady wins the race. Once more.

Entering the room behind the wonderous door, the dwarf sighs in relief. Luck belongs to the brave. The magician smugly scratches his chin and is amazed at what can be found here. So much potentially magical stuff! His hands start to sweat and his eyes take on a strange shine.

He, in addition, gives the torch a extended, suspicious look. Who probably lit this? A torch burns for approx. 1 hour. Could this be the result of the disappearance of this odd Rumwell character? Hardly. They've presumably been on the road too long for that now, right?

When Leana suddenly rushes forward, the dwarf also realizes that these treasures are well guarded, the magician wakes up from his thoughts and spreads his arms with a theatrical gesture to let Magic rain down on the oozes. MAGIC! Worth the capitals!
OOC:
Could it have been Rumwell, considering our short rest etc., or does that seem unlikely to Brickowsky?

How are the Oozes? Can I bring them into the radius of the Shatter Spell? Or a Thunderwave? Needless to say without hurting Leana!

Shatter: erupts from a point of your choice within range. Each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that point

Thunderwave: Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you
Aug 30, 2024 9:24 pm
OOC:
Heh, for surprising the oozes and the GM, everyone may take one attack or move before the battle begins! Please also roll initiative after listing out what you would like to do before the oozes get it together to fight back. I will be putting up a map, the initiative list, and what your moves/attacks did so far.

As for Rumwell lighting the torch, it is a possibility. Just because he spirited away does not mean he could not have also visited this dungeon after your short rest or while you were in the caves.

Rolls

Black Glob of Ooze 1, 2, 3 Initiative - (1d20-3)

(9) - 3 = 6

Aug 31, 2024 7:14 am
OOC:
rolling

Rolls

Initative - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Aug 31, 2024 8:02 am
OOC:
Initiative ... oh well...
Last edited August 31, 2024 8:02 am

Rolls

Ini - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Sep 3, 2024 6:04 pm
Leana surprises and critically bites Ooze 1 (16 piercing damage!) with her powerful crocodile jaws, but finds the ooze is filled with acid! She feels her tongue start to burn and some of her teeth start to ache (4 acid damage).
OOC:
Each of the squares is 5 feet. Please let me know if you have questions what any of the items are on the map. I will have Hindle and Merton concealed around the corner for now until they roll their initiatives.
https://i.imgur.com/8ow52Cc.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Brickowsky
2. Oozes
3. Leana
Sep 3, 2024 6:05 pm
OOC:
Brickowsky, go ahead and say which spell you want to do for your surprise attack and then what move you want to make next as you go first in the battle so far.
Sep 4, 2024 4:47 am
Initially drawn to the variousl items visible from the doorway, Hindles attention is quickly drawn to the source of the faint squelching noises. Dark glistening forms stretch and roll across the floor. The amorphous wet looking things quickly approach and are immediately set up on by the Leanodile! Shocked into action, Hindle take a step forward and strikes out with two corruscating blasts before he even has time to think about it.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast @ Blob1 - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

Damage for Blob1 - (1d10+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Eldritch Blast @ Blob2 - (1d20+7)

(13) + 7 = 20

Damage for Blob2 - (1d10+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Sep 4, 2024 6:17 am
OOC:
@Dhakhan> when you are hidden, you have advantage on your first attack roll. :)
Stretching his fingers, the wizard sends out his magic. Fire would be a good start. Things like these oozes normally don't like fire.

Taking a step back, he sends out a beam of blunt force against one that is already hurt and tries to shove the nearest back a bit.
OOC:
Surprise Round: Cast Shatter - Con Save DC: 16, or half DMG. Awakened Spellbook feature - Brickowsky changes the DMG typ to fire.

1. Round:
- Move behind his two comrades and send forth a
- "Fire Bolt", but changes the DMG typ to bludgeoning. If possible against a foe that has failed his save. If all of them are successfull than against the one that was bitten by Leana.
- Bonus: Number 3: Str Save DC: 16 or be moved 5 squarres back.

Edit: sorry! typo! Just wrong dice on the fire bolt.
Last edited September 4, 2024 6:18 am

Rolls

Shatter (Fire) DC: 16 Con Saves halves - (3d8)

(837) = 18

Bludgeoning Bolt - (1d20+8, 3d8)

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

3d8 : (786) = 21

Fire Bolt - (2d10)

(97) = 16

Sep 4, 2024 6:29 pm
Ooze 1 and 3 try to consolidate themselves to withstand the damage from Brickowsky's Shatter spell.

They cannot withstand Brickowsky's amazing magic and can be seen violently wiggling from the force. An acrid smell fills the air as the oozes are affected by the fire quality of the spell.

Rolls

Black Glob of Ooze 1 Constitution Saving Throw - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Black Glob of Ooze 3 Constitution Saving Throw - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Sep 4, 2024 7:40 pm
Hindle at first steps forward, drawn by treasures, but is stopped as these black amorphous blobs sidle up and Leana attacks them before they can cause any harm to her companions. Hindle steps forward once more to avoid hitting his party members and shoots an eldritch blast from each hand at the two closest blobs. With the violent wiggling of Blob 1 from the Shatter spell, Hindle's blast unfortunately misses and shoots into empty wall. However, Blob 2 gets hit squarely in the middle and a hole can be seen clean through before it is filled in again by the rest of the ooze.
OOC:
@Dhakhan Don't forget your initiative roll!
Sep 4, 2024 7:44 pm
Brickowsky now moves far back away from the blobs and sends a fire bludgeoning bolt at Ooze 1. The bolt violently shoots a piece of ooze off and it shrivels up as the acrid smell worsens around them.

The blobs begin to retreat after the massive damage.

Merton stays hidden in the shadows.

https://i.imgur.com/xjBjmC2.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Leana
2. Brickowsky
3. Oozes
OOC:
@Adrasthea Go ahead and make an opportunity attack on Ooze 1 and it is Leana's turn now! Will work in Hindle when his initiative is rolled.

Rolls

Black Glob of Ooze 1 Strength Saving Throw - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Sep 4, 2024 9:10 pm
Not thinking only reacting to the movement, Leanodile bites down at the retreating ooze, then makes another forward movement and bites down again.

Rolls

aoo - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

dmg - (1d10+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

attack - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

dmg - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Sep 5, 2024 2:44 am
Oops!!

Rolls

Initiative for Hindle - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Sep 5, 2024 4:12 am
OOC:
init?

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Sep 5, 2024 5:08 pm
Leanodile takes a quick nip of Ooze 1 before it retreats (3 piercing damage) and then rushes forward her full movement to take another large bite out of Ooze 1 (7 piercing damage). The ooze is starting to have trouble keeping its shape like its brethren are doing. As Leanodile's power jaws clamp down, she feels another wave of acid wash through her sharp teeth (4 acid damage). Brickowsky readies his next move.

Ooze 1 is unable to get loose from Leanodile's grappling bite and is stuck in place until Leanodile releases it from her jaws. (Attacks Affected. Attack rolls against you have Advantage, and your attack rolls have Disadvantage. Saving Throws Affected. You have Disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.)

https://i.imgur.com/nL7guE6.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Brickowsky
2. Hindle
3. Merton
4. Oozes
5. Leanodile
OOC:
@valdattaMadun Feel free to describe what you would like to do during your surprise turn: attack, move, etc.

Rolls

Ooze 1 Escape Grapple - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Sep 5, 2024 5:20 pm
Merton peers around the corner and throws two psychic blades at Ooze1
OOC:
Action Psychic Blaade
Bonus action Psychic Blade
Movement move back behind the cover

Rolls

Psychic Blades to hit - (1d20+8, 1d6+5)

1d6+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d20+8 : (15) + 8 = 23

1d6+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Sneak attack if hit - (3d6)

(656) = 17

Sep 5, 2024 5:58 pm
As Merton jumps into battle, he surprise attacks Ooze 1 with his psychic blades and it dissolves into a black pool, steam wisps up from its remains.
Sep 6, 2024 6:01 am
Satisfied because of their success, the dwarf shoots a third bolt of force.
OOC:
Bludgeoning bolt on number2

Rolls

Fire Bolt - (1d20+8, 2d10)

1d20+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

2d10 : (106) = 16

Sep 6, 2024 7:42 am
Curiously something tickles between Leanodile's jaws as the Ooze suddenly dissolves. She shakes her huge head with surprising speed left and right to get rid of the remaining black fluid between her teeth.
OOC:
bäh - can't imagine they taste nice...brushing my carnassials and patiently waiting for my turn :)
Sep 6, 2024 8:36 pm
Brickowksy shoots another fire bludgeoning bolt, this time at Ooze 2. So busy retreating and moving back from Ooze 1's remains, it is easily hit and begins to violently wiggle. Hindle ponders his next move.

https://i.imgur.com/dPHisPH.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Hindle
2. Merton
3. Oozes
4. Leanodile
5. Brickowsky
Sep 6, 2024 8:40 pm
The floating glowing yellow gemstone, skull, and silvered frying pan begin to move towards the fight. A low exclamation of surprise can be heard from one of the cells.
OOC:
Floating objects will be added in after this round finishes a.k.a. Leanodile finishing her turn.

Rolls

Floating Objects Initiative - (1d20-4)

(9) - 4 = 5

Sep 8, 2024 4:27 pm
OOC:
I'll bite another ooze when it is my turn :)

Rolls

attack - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

dmg - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

dmg crit - (1d10+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Sep 9, 2024 1:19 am
As the creatures retreat farther into the room, Hindle moves foward to follow behind the Leana. Avoiding stepping in the remains of the first destroyed slime, Hindle aims two more blasts at the blob to her left.
OOC:
Hindle moves to B4 and attempts to destroy Blob 2

Rolls

Eldritch Blast 1 @ Blob2 - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Eldritch Blast 2 @ Blob2 - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Force Damage 1 - (1d10+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Force Damage 2 - (1d10+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Sep 9, 2024 4:48 am
OOC:
@Hindle> you rolled a crit!
Roll one more d10 for extra damage :)
Sep 9, 2024 8:26 pm
OOC:
I'll roll Hindle's critical damage for now. You can always roll it on your next post if you want and I can replace what is in my notes.
Hindle steps forward for a clear shot to Ooze 2 and hits it hard with both eldritch blasts landing. One shot shoots straight through the middle of the ooze. A piece of black gunk shoots off and melts into the ground, but the hole is soon filled in by whatever fills this amorphous blob. Merton melts out of the shadows to administer his action.

https://i.imgur.com/rYNlR2o.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Merton
2. Oozes
3. Leanodile
4. Brickowsky
5. Hindle
OOC:
Looks like majority rules for block initiative for future battles! We'll keep it as is for this one so no confusion, but future battles will be block initiative.

Rolls

Hindle Eldritch Blast 1 Critical Damage - (1d10+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Sep 9, 2024 9:51 pm
Merton moves into the spot behind Hindle, hiding in his shadow. Then throws a psychic blade out toward Ooze2
OOC:
Bonus Action Hide
Action Psychic Blade

fairly certain this Hide roll ultimately doesn't matter here but making it still. I just need to do that before coming unhidden after the strike

Rolls

Psychic Blades to hit - (2d20H1+8, 1d6+5)

2d20H1+8 : (1612) + 8 = 24

1d6+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Sneak Attack - (3d6)

(164) = 11

Stealth (Expertise) - (1d20+11)

(13) + 11 = 24

Sep 10, 2024 4:09 am
Hindle nearly jumps out of his skin when a small figure cloaked in black suddenly pops out from behind him to fling a glowing purple projectile!

"When did you get back there!?"
Sep 10, 2024 3:21 pm
Merton melts into Hindle's shadow and peeks out to throw wicked purple blades at Ooze 2. More pieces of acidic slime blast off and dissolve into the dungeon floor as it starts to lose its shape. Hindle yelps a bit as Merton attacks and hides again behind him.

Ooze 2, barely able to hold its blobby mess together, retreats further back and it is now difficult to see it as its dark mass blends into the shadows. Anyone without darkvision may have disadvantage on their attacks unless a light source is created near it.

Ooze 3 stands a little taller and charges towards Leanodile to finally try and attack!

Rolls

Ooze 3 Attack - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Ooze 3 Damage (Bludgeoning) - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Ooze 3 Acid Damage - (4d8)

(2482) = 16

Sep 10, 2024 3:35 pm
Leanodile smoothly moves out of the way as the ooze tries to engulf her in its acidic grasp. She takes advantage of its unbalance and critically bites it and holds it in place. The ooze is trapped in place until Leanodile releases it from her jaws. (Attacks Affected. Attack rolls against you have Advantage, and your attack rolls have Disadvantage. Saving Throws Affected. You have Disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.). Leanodile takes a third wave of acidic damage from the blob (4 acid damage). Brickowsky prepares his next move.

https://i.imgur.com/sR1zNvh.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Brickowsky
2. Hindle
3. Merton
4. Oozes
5. Floating Objects
6. Leanodile

Rolls

Ooze 3 Escape Grapple - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Sep 10, 2024 6:09 pm
Huffing an puffing to Leanas side, the red faced dwarf points his magic wand at the retreating pudding and tries to pull him back into the light. Then he murmers "Fuzare!"

A streak of energy shines through the darkness to end this foe for good!
OOC:
Move: B6
Bonus: DC 16 Strength Check or moved tp B11
Standard: Fire Bolt with Force DMG

Rolls

Force Bolt with DisAdv - (2d20l1+8, 2d10)

2d20l1+8 : (1610) + 8 = 18

2d10 : (72) = 9

Sep 10, 2024 6:54 pm
Brickowsky huffs and puffs to Leana's side, staying clear of the pudding trapped in Leanodile's jaws. He fires a fiery force bolt at the pudding on its last legs. Even though it is difficult to see, he can tell its darker form is pushed back into the wall between the cells with a satisfying *SPLAT* as it squishes against the dungeon wall. Acrid smoke pours forth from it, wrinkling the party's noses. Hindle covers his nose, but prepares his next move.

https://i.imgur.com/5a9L3ce.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Hindle
2. Merton
3. Oozes
4. Floating Objects
5. Leanodile
6. Brickowsky
Sep 12, 2024 2:18 am
Turning towards the remaining slime, Hindle fires off two more blasts.
OOC:
Oops! I wish it did 1d40+4 damage! :D
Last edited September 12, 2024 2:19 am

Rolls

Eldritch Blast 1 @ Blob3 - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Force Damage to Blob3 - (1d40+4)

(21) + 4 = 25

If Crit - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Eldritch Blast 2 @ blob3 - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Force Damage to Blob3 - (1d10+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

If Crit - (1d10)

(1) = 1

Reroll Damage roll 1 :) - (1d10+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Sep 12, 2024 7:00 pm
Hindle is easily able to blast the last blob as it unsuccessfully tries to stretch out of Leanodile's powerful jaws. Pieces of black ooze are blasted off onto the dungeon ground to sizzle away far from where it can cause harm to anyone, but it still moves ready to cause more damage if allowed. Merton peeks out behind Hindle's back to plan his next move.

Initiative List

1. Merton
2. Oozes
3. Floating Objects
4. Leanodile
5. Brickowsky
6. Hindle
Sep 13, 2024 8:09 pm
Merton smirks and throws out some psychic blades to try and finish off the ooze
OOC:
Sneak attack before someone is within 5ft

Action Attack
Bonus Action Psychic Blade BA

Rolls

1d20+8 : (10) + 8 = 18

1d6+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d20+8 : (13) + 8 = 21

1d6+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Sneak Attack - (3d6)

(524) = 11

Sep 14, 2024 1:25 pm
Merton takes advantage of his hidden position and the last ooze’s inability to really dodge, stuck as it is in Leanodile’s powerful jaws. Sharp purple psychic blades dart out towards the ooze and cuts off almost all the blob’s shape outside of what Leanodile is biting into. However, the ooze still holds on and tries to escape with what little is left of it.

Rolls

Ooze 3 Escape Grapple (Disadvantage from Grapple Fail) - (2d20L1)

(620) = 6

Sep 14, 2024 1:28 pm
Ooze 3 fails to escape and tries to fight back instead, but the grappling and loss of more than half its body makes it difficult.

Rolls

Ooze 3 Attack (Disadvantage) - (2d20L1+5)

(719) + 5 = 12

Ooze 3 Damage (Bludgeoning) - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Ooze 3 Acid Damage - (4d8)

(6681) = 21

Sep 14, 2024 1:34 pm
The floating objects start to move closer, just in front of the dissolved Ooze 2 (B11). Leana reacts to the last ooze’s death throes and prepares her own response.

Initiative List

1. Leana
2. Brickowsky
3. Hindle
4. Merton
5. Oozes
6. Floating Objects
OOC:
Eeps, I think Ooze 3 still successfully hit Leanodile, but please let me know @Adrasthea
Sep 14, 2024 7:33 pm
OOC:
yes. AC is 12. If all that acid damage goes to me, Leanodile is no more. The druid should transform back in which case I'm not sure where the ooze goes 🤔 After she reverts, Leana then should have 17hp left.
Last edited September 14, 2024 7:38 pm
Sep 14, 2024 7:50 pm
Adrasthea says:
OOC:
yes. AC is 12. If all that acid damage goes to me, Leanodile is no more. The druid should transform back in which case I'm not sure where the ooze goes 🤔 After she reverts, Leana then should have 17hp left.
OOC:
In that case, the ooze will still stay in place at C6, since it is only released from the grapple due to Leanodile changing back to Leana. Yes, unfortunately the acid damage also goes to Leanodile since she was the only enemy it could attack during the grapple. Leana's turn then!
Sep 15, 2024 7:30 am
As the acid splashes against the crocodile’s scaly hide, there’s a sizzling sound. The druid, still in her wildshape, feels the heat seeping through, and before she can react, her crocodile form begins to wobble like a soap bubble about to burst.

With a sudden POP, her snout shortens, her tail shrinks, and scales vanish in a comical puff of mist, leaving her standing—fully human again—staring wide-eyed at the source of her undoing: the pathetic remains of the last black ooze.

"Oh well," she sighs and flexes her fingers, preparing for a more traditional—and significantly less reptilian—response. "Of course. I always forget about the acid," she grumbles under her breath. Leana conjures up a vine out of the dark air surrounding them. For a moment it moves serpentlike above her head, growing spikes - then it follows the druid's rapid movement downward and meets the offending black puddle with force.

Rolls

thorn whip attack - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

dmg - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Sep 15, 2024 7:58 am
Perceiving the floating objects, the dwarf calls out towards the cells: "Hey there! Who sits behind bars? Why are these things coming in our direction?"

If the black ooze is still assaulting Leana, the magician will shoot a fourth beam at it, if is already dissolving after his druid friends attack, he would aim the ray at the thingy leading the others towards the group. Maybe it is time to dispel some magic? Waiting for an answer Brickowsky digs in his memory for the appropriate spell.

With a wave of his wand he also tries to shove the monster away that is the nearest to their group.
OOC:
Free Action: calling out
Standard: Fire Bolt, but with force
Bonus: DC 16 strength save, or be shoved 5 foot back, ooze or flying thing.

Rolls

Force Bolt - (1d20+8, 2d10)

2d10 : (78) = 15

Sep 15, 2024 11:24 pm
Leana channels her wrath at the remaining ooze and its remains splash away harmlessly from Leana and the adventurers, acrid smoke filling the dungeon once again.

As Brickowsky sees Leana dispatch the last black pudding, he turns to the floating objects and prepares to push it away.

Rolls

Floating Objects Strength Save - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Sep 15, 2024 11:32 pm
Brickowsky pushes the floating objects back and hears a little yelp in response to his question.

"Oh, you can call me Alax! That jelly cube thing, whatever you call it, is protecting its baby. It was fed my frying pan and that other adventurer's, um, head..."

Hindle looks at Brickowsky with surprise at the answer and decides his next move.

https://i.imgur.com/6stnIBd.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Hindle
2. Merton
3. Floating Objects
4. Leana
5. Brickowsky
Sep 16, 2024 2:58 am
Unsure what is going on, "Those things were amorphos not cubes", Hindle almost begins the incantation to pierce the veil but that voice gives him pause. It did not sound like an adersary's and they would surely be encompassed. ...after a moment, Hindle decides to blast the menacing skull out of existance.
OOC:
Eldritch blasts at the "floating skull"

Rolls

Blast1 @ skull - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Blast1 Damage (force) - (1d10+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Blast2 @ skull - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Blast2 Damage (Force) - (1d10+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Sep 16, 2024 9:05 pm
Hindle refocuses on the floating skull and objects, shooting an eldritch blast out of each hand at it. It looks like his blasts stop and explode in midair, but the objects wobble in the air a bit at the force. Merton peeks around Hindle again and looks curiously at what his friend is blasting at.

Initiative List

1. Merton
2. Floating Objects
3. Leana
4. Brickowsky
5. Hindle
Sep 16, 2024 9:21 pm
Hindle! stand down. Merton says as he steps out from behind his friend.

Alax, where is the rest of you? I wouldn't suppose a floating skull needs a frying pan much? How can we help?
Sep 17, 2024 1:23 am
Tapping his lip with a forefinger, Hindle murmurs, "Something is shielding the skull. ...Something isn't right."
Last edited September 17, 2024 1:23 am
Sep 17, 2024 2:27 am
"Oh, I'm here, in this cell!"

A green claw peeks out of one of the cells and waves before quickly going back inside.

"The best thing would be to get me and the other guy out of here, but you'll have to calm down this jelly cube probably. Oh, if only I had some of my hot sauce..."
Sep 19, 2024 2:54 am
With the second mentioning of cube shaped jellies, Hindle attempt to find what the hell this guy is talking about. "What is all this about cubes?" A moment later, the second odd thing said registers and Hindles eyes sting momentarily at the memory of his dousing at the inn. "Hot sauce? I have some fairly piquant wing sauce. What good is hot sauce to you now?"

Rolls

Perception (disadvantaged dim light?) - (2d20L1+5)

(1015) + 5 = 15

Sep 19, 2024 10:07 pm
As Merton and Hindle talk with Alax about the jelly cube, the jelly cube takes the opportunity to move closer to the adventurers. As it moves closer, it is much easier for Hindle to tell now that the floating skull, yellow gem, and frying pan are floating within a shiny clear cube: a gelatinous cube monster!

Alax replies "I used to feed the little cube hot sauce and it'd leave me alone. If you have any of my hot sauce, it might distract it while we get out of here! Of course, blasting it away will also take care of the issue..."

Leana looks at the others and makes her move.
OOC:
I will have Merton hold his move for now until @valdattaMadun posts what Merton will do.
https://i.imgur.com/xFxRI6U.jpeg

Initiative List

1. Leana
2. Brickowsky
3. Hindle
4. Merton
5. Floating Objects
Sep 20, 2024 4:29 am
"Squid rings!! Those things are't floating! They are inside that thing!" Reaching down to scramble around in his beltpouch, "Watch out! It's heading right for us!"
Sep 20, 2024 3:23 pm
Protecting its young is only natural. "Let's deal with this peacefully", she states and walks over to Hindle. "Locks are your thing, I believe" she whispers and takes the last bit of hot sauce. The young druid opens the flask and says in a deep friendly voice: "Who's a good cube. You are. Are you not? Yes, you are. Come li'l cubey, cubey. Come get the hot sauce..." She takes a few steps back and as she is sure she has got its attention and the cube comes for the bottle, she throws it into the corner farthest away from Ajax' cell.

Leana moves back in the direction of the cell.
OOC:
@Dhakhan: thought I'd save us a round so you can lockpick away. If you rather throw the sauce, I'll rewrite the post :)
Sep 20, 2024 8:56 pm
OOC:
so the skull is within a gelatinous cube...
Merton takes good aim and launches a psychic blade on the cube
OOC:
Steady Aim Bonus Action
Attack action

Rolls

Psychic Blades to hit - (2d20h1+8)

(112) + 8 = 19

Psychic Blades damage - (1d6+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

sneak attack - (3d6)

(513) = 9

Sep 22, 2024 2:11 am
As Hindle warns the party about what they are facing, Merton decides to focus on either ending this cube or at least getting the skull out of the cube. He pops out again from behind Hindle and sends another psychic blade at the cube. The cube, so focused on moving forward, is surprised by the blade.

The psychic blade slices right through the cube and the skull is blasted out and onto the ground, right in front of the cell the green claw poked out of!

Leana watches this unfold and decides to end the conflict. She confidently strides up to Hindle, retrieves one of the hot sauce bottles he stowed, and catches the attention of the gelatinous cube and its baby with the Inn's hot sauce. As the cube and its baby begin to move with the movement of the hot sauce bottle, Leana moves further back and chucks it back towards where they had entered! The cubes dash past everyone without touching any of them and starts slurping up the hot sauce. The clear cube begins to take on a tinge of red from the hot sauce it absorbs. The adventurers can see the gem and frying pan still floating inside of it. The baby cube is now visible. It is barely a foot in height and also slowly turning red as it eats its fill of hot sauce.
OOC:
Yay! We are out of combat and from now on we will do the block initiative fighting.

Rolls

Skull Sniped? - (1d20)

Sep 22, 2024 10:17 am
Looking rather pleased how Leana handled the situation, Brickowsky calls out: "Help is on the way, Ajax.

Merton, please free this strapping greenscaled lad out his predicament."
Locked doors seem to be the halflings speciality.

Close to the gloomy area, the dwarf waddles forward and picks up the curious items. A shield, a book and a frosty staff. If there is more, he would also put it in the bag of holding for the moment. Also the scimitar if possible. If not, because the blade is locked in a cell, the wizard would send Roaring Kitty with the aid of his mage hand to gather the weapon.

Glancing over to the little cube family, Brickowsky tries discerning if their group is save here for the moment, or if they should move along, before talking to the inn owner. And talking a closer look at the loot. Maybe they could use some of it on their quest?
Sep 23, 2024 3:02 am
Alax replies with "Okay, thanks..." and waits to be released.

Brickowsky gathers up the items he initially saw in the dungeon: a shield, a book and a frosty staff. To be safe, he and Roaring Kitty stay a safe distance away as Mage Hand removes the scimitar from the skeleton's bony grasp. The group will need to take time to identify the items and their usefulness. He glances at the cubes, but notices they are now fully red and not moving at all. Just a little wiggle from the baby cube once in a while. From what he remembers about gelatinous cubes, they are probably satiated and will not purposefully move to absorb anything for 12 hours. They do block the way they came in though so no other way but forward now. With the gelatinous cubes no longer hostile and the black puddings dissolved, they should easily be able to rest without issue.

Before discussing rest with the others, he tries to determine if the gem and frying pan that float inside the adult cube would be important. The frying pan, at least, was mentioned by Alax so they may have more of an opinion. And gems are always good to have for dwarves. The most interesting thing about the yellow gem is that it seems to be glowing.
Sep 25, 2024 11:14 am
Adrasthea says:
OOC:
@Dhakhan: thought I'd save us a round so you can lockpick away. If you rather throw the sauce, I'll rewrite the post :)
OOC:
Not a worry, though i think Merton is better than i with the picking of the locks."
Sep 26, 2024 5:49 am
Before Merton can approach Alax's cell, he speaks up again. "Um, also, I think there's someone knocked out in the cell next to me too if we can check on them..."
OOC:
After you guys are done exploring and freeing the prisoners, I think you can do another short rest if you like. During the short rest, everyone can level up! Got to be ready for the second half of this adventure.
Sep 29, 2024 1:50 am
Merton swiftly moves out from behind Hindle's back and unlocks Alax's cell. It is surprisingly a similar lock to the ones he saw at Inn Plain Sight so it is no problem for him to pick it. He would certainly recommend the owner change the locks in this dungeon if they were to continue using them for their intended purpose. He unlocks all the cell doors while he is at it before he melts into the shadows for whatever may come, including rest.
OOC:
valdattaMadun, putting your character into hiding for now.
Sep 29, 2024 1:54 am
The constantly aforementioned Alax Jadescales now exits out of his cell. A surprisingly tall dragonborn steps out, covered in jade green scales. Though looking a little worse for wear, the dragonborn still moves with ease towards the party.

"My thanks mighty adventurers. Unfortunately, I had only been on the other side of these bars before and had no idea on how to escape. Far be it from me to be grateful, but why and how are you here...?"

You do not have permission to post in this thread.