Chapter 1: The Shadow Moot

load previous
Nov 3, 2016 3:44 am
Shark_Bone says:
OOC:
Where are Gord and Zachary this next morning? Meeting up to plan this theft that I agreed to?
OOC:
If there's nothing else you guys wanted to do that night, it's pretty much up to you. There are bunks at the Guild Hall if you wanted to stay the night there, or you could return to your homes/shop/inn room, or anything in between.

If you guys haven't been, might be worth going back through the IC thread and do some mid-"session" reckoning (log your tests and what not via edit to your Character Record Sheet post, or something?). I'd like to have a little bit more opportunity for everyone to work towards something before calling it an "end of session", but maybe after a day or so more in-game we'll do some tallying and Artha rewards?
Nov 3, 2016 5:26 pm
OOC:
Sure we can jump to the next day if you want. Breakfast at somewhere near Zachary?
Nov 3, 2016 8:16 pm
"Greyhawk is my city too. I will not abandon it on account of Nicastro. And I have other reasons, other ties," Nulgha says, trailing off. She stands straighter and brushes a bit of something off of her right sleeve, probably from that ratty old blanket. "But your advice is well taken, Brother. I may take a sojourn, say, to Chondite Keep, for a time. A few weeks. I would return before the end of the month. That at least is not an event I would wish to miss!"
OOC:
Is it a few weeks? "end of the month" could be a day or 4 weeks... gonna assume it's 2-3 weeks given that it must be at least a few days, maybe a week since the Maestro's disappearance and apparently Porton hopes for the Maestro's return before any great conflict arises which makes it unlikely to be a few days 'til the end of the month.
Tomas'll have to understand. Maybe the Maestro will be back and all of this'll wash away. I dunno. I slept under the stars last night... hells to living like that in a city. Gotta lot to do before I set out though. Tomas, Pavel, ole daddy Heimart...

Nulgha stands lost in thought for a few moments, then her distant gaze snaps back into focus. To Capo Porton, she says, "Yes. I will wrap up a few loose ends, then make my way to Chondite Keep. You know I have been asking around... I believe I can guide a small ship safely in and out of the Keep - and out with Nog. I will be hidden for a day or two in the city before leaving. If anyone comes to you with word pertaining to such a job, and you trust them, will you let them know to be at the sweetmeat stall in the market beside the Heimart fountain? At noon, the day after tomorrow."
Nov 3, 2016 9:34 pm
Verrain says:
OOC:
Sure we can jump to the next day if you want. Breakfast at somewhere near Zachary?
OOC:
I'll invite you to my place. It's nice enough and won't be public to attract notice.
Zachary thumps Gord's plate down in front of him on the table and sits down on the other side. "Well, after having a night to sleep on it, I wish to ask you if your little errand can wait until after we've had a chance to look into Chondite Keep and the Maestro's disappearance?" He spears some of the eggs from his plate with a fork and politely begins to eat his breakfast while watching his companion.
Nov 4, 2016 3:35 pm
Gord does not answer the question until a quarter of the food on his plate disappears down his gullet. "That depends on how long you want us to look. Gord replies through a mouthful of toast. He washes that down with a swig of milk and continues. "Let me put you in the picture. Nulgha was planning to break the blockade around Chondite Keep to get at some Dwarven Nog stashed there. Big score if we can get that upmarket to the right buyers. My part was to lay my hands on something Dwarves might want for the Nog. I figured Dwarves love a good smoke so that's what I'm trying to boost out of the Garden Quarter."

Another quarter of the breakfast has deftly disappeared by this point. "Now if I'm Nulgha, I need a big score and I need to get outta town fast. I think she's still gonna pull the job and not wait around before she does it. So we can go nose around the docks this morning but I'm meeting with Furzere's man at noon and I'd like to pull this job tonight. Gord sops up the last bit of egg yolk with his last bit of toast. "That work for you?"
Last edited November 4, 2016 3:36 pm
Nov 4, 2016 9:32 pm
Zachary sets his fork down, slowly taking up his napkin to wipe his mouth. "I suppose," he begins, "it will do." His voice is strained and the smile he gives tight. "I won't lie and say I'm not disappointed, but I understand the pressure you are feeling." He leans back in his seat, pushing the plate away. "I do prefer, however, that if we're to concentrate on your errand first, we do so to the exclusion of all else. Better to finish it as quickly as we can and return or focus to the leader our guild needs."
Nov 5, 2016 1:43 am
"Agreed." Gord nods. "Well the plan I have is simple. The target is the son of Baron Wolsing. He's stays in a Garden Quarter estate and buys high quality smoke by the bale. So you move in those circles. Pay him a social call. Case the joint and find out where the smoke's kept. Then Carlod and I return in the night and lift it."
Nov 5, 2016 4:08 pm
Epigone says:
OOC:
Is it a few weeks? "end of the month" could be a day or 4 weeks... gonna assume it's 2-3 weeks given that it must be at least a few days, maybe a week since the Maestro's disappearance and apparently Porton hopes for the Maestro's return before any great conflict arises which makes it unlikely to be a few days 'til the end of the month.
OOC:
Yea, ~two weeks.
The Capo's brow nits together in concern, "Nulgha. You cannot bring a ship of stolen goods to this city. At least not while Nicastro is acting Maestro. I cannot sneak an entire hold's worth of nog past the Principal's gaze, and you could never move it either. He would have every right to throw the entire Guild at you, and the entire Guild would happily go after you. This is the most fundamental rule of our way, you know that." he sighs, exhaling raggedly, "I will pass along your words, but I will also have to pass along my warning. This is grave foolishness." his eyes flick towards the city gate to the Docks and he shakes his head, "I must go, I am expected at some Guild business... I hope the next time I see you, you're not swinging from a bridge by your neck." he turns to go, pausing only briefly to straighten his jacket and trousers.
Nov 5, 2016 6:07 pm
OOC:
Well, now, looks like it's time to find out some details about the Heimarts. What does Nulgha know about them? Specifically, I have these questions and preferred answers and would like to know the true answers if you have them, either because Nulgha already knows or by rolling something like City of Grayhawk-wise or Lord Heimart-wise or Court Gossip-wise:

How wide is the circle of folks who Nulgha knows or strongly suspects who know about Nulgha's relationship with Tomas Heimart? (hope: very small, and not including the Lord Heimart)

How is the relationship between the Lord and Tomas? (hope: quite good, the Lord would even spend some political capital on his son's earnest desire ;))

What would the Lord's feelings on the Maestro's disappearance probably be? (Hope: fear that the Thieves Guild will come apart as that would be too destabilizing)

How does Lord Heimart feel about Nulgha? (Hope: heard of her, doesn't have strong feelings, at most mild respect for blockade running plus whatever he feels about thieves in general)

How does Tomas feel about Nulgha? (Hope: head over heels!)

What's the Lord's schedule like? (Hope: there's some time today he's not completely mired in meetings when Nulgha could pop up and talk that wouldn't be horrifically out of place)

My intent in wanting to know about these things is to get a quick chat with Lord Heimart where I convince him it's a good idea to let Nicastro and the Capos know that he will be hands-off the Guild at least until their leadership is stabilized. That's a lot, I know, and depending on what the answers to the above questions are, may be either fairly easy or absolutely impossible. But that's the thrust of my questioning. Nulgha's task will depend somewhat on the answers to the questions around Tomas - whether and in what ways she can go through him to the Lord. So I guess her first step is securing a moment to talk with the Lord, getting as much help from Tomas as makes sense. So Say Yes, 1+ -wise tests, Circles, or inappropriate task?

Rolls

Die of Fate: how fast does Nulgha find Tomas? - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Nov 5, 2016 9:09 pm
Verrain says:
"Agreed." Gord nods. "Well the plan I have is simple. The target is the son of Baron Wolsing. He's stays in a Garden Quarter estate and buys high quality smoke by the bale. So you move in those circles. Pay him a social call. Case the joint and find out where the smoke's kept. Then Carlod and I return in the night and lift it."
Zachary smiles at this last bit. "Interesting. How were you planning on completing this errand before my involvement, then?"
Nov 5, 2016 9:42 pm
OOC:
Epigone says:
How wide is the circle of folks who Nulgha knows or strongly suspects who know about Nulgha's relationship with Tomas Heimart? (hope: very small, and not including the Lord Heimart)
Yea, small. Random folks might have recognized the lord's son carousing around the Docks w/ some sketch lookin sailor woman, but it's not like anyone is tracking your relationships, nor really his. So, whomever you've told and whomever might emerge depending on the history between you two that develops in play would be it. Lord Heimart does not know.
Epigone says:
How is the relationship between the Lord and Tomas? (hope: quite good, the Lord would even spend some political capital on his son's earnest desire ;))
See answer to "How does Tomas feel about Nulgha?".
Epigone says:
What would the Lord's feelings on the Maestro's disappearance probably be? (Hope: fear that the Thieves Guild will come apart as that would be too destabilizing)
Would require a check or rp.
Epigone says:
How does Lord Heimart feel about Nulgha? (Hope: heard of her, doesn't have strong feelings, at most mild respect for blockade running plus whatever he feels about thieves in general)
Epigone says:
How does Tomas feel about Nulgha? (Hope: head over heels!)
The way I see it, it's a minor relationship, so if he's head over heels for her, Tomas and his father's relationship is not good (so as to keep the role minor). If you want Tomas and Heimart to have a better relationship, Tomas' feelings for her decrease in a proportionate amount to that increase (again to keep his effect minor).

So my thought would be; Tomas is a bit of a black sheep, he and the Lord's relationship is fine, but Tomas has burned a bridge or two with his father eschewing the life he might have liked for one of his sons. His feelings for you could maybe best be described as "an infatuation with danger" or something. He fancies himself a bit of a badass (and maybe he is in some way), and thinks having a relationship with this witchy woman from the Thieves Guild gives that further cred, and he certainly likes you, but also maybe values it more as a part of this dangerous persona he cultivates? How's that sound (60/40, Father/Nulgha)?
Epigone says:
What's the Lord's schedule like? (Hope: there's some time today he's not completely mired in meetings when Nulgha could pop up and talk that wouldn't be horrifically out of place)
Epigone says:
So I guess her first step is securing a moment to talk with the Lord, getting as much help from Tomas as makes sense. So Say Yes, 1+ -wise tests, Circles, or inappropriate task?
You know Tomas' haunts, you can roll a what I like to call a "Luck Die" (1d6, 6 is good luck/you find him at the first one you check, 1 is bad luck/it takes you the rest of the morning, 2-5 is a range of bad to good luck in that spectrum) to see how long it takes you to find him?
Nov 6, 2016 2:41 am
Shark_Bone says:
Verrain says:
Zachary smiles at this last bit. "Interesting. How were you planning on completing this errand before my involvement, then?"
"Same play, different players." Gord shrugs. "All depends on whose markers I could call in. I had also considered trying to talk some out of the man but could not come up with a lie I'd believe. Have you another plan to offer? You do know the way toffs think after all."
Nov 6, 2016 9:54 am
That went well. Feels good to have an ally in all this. Or close enough.

Nulgha hurries through the city, half a mile, half an hour of not drawing attention. She makes her way first to the Wheel of Gold, a gambling establishment for the well off, and the most likely place to find Tomas Heimart on any day of the week. None of the staff have seen him today, though, so she circles back toward the palace and stops at the city guard barracks. A veteran guard recognizes her.

"Looking for young Heimart? He was just here, had a bit of a spar with some of the lads. Said he was off to the Garden Quarter."

Nulgha gives a shallow curtsy and smiles.

That guard station. Of course.
"Tomas!" Nulgha greets her lover with a quick kiss. She pulls him out the door before he can finish saying "What are you doing here?". The door to the guard station shuts, cutting off a knowing chuckle from within.

"It's good to see you, but..."

"No time. Tomas, I need your help and I need it now."

He looks concerned and somewhat self-conscious.

"I may have acted just the slightest bit rashly last night. I may possibly have pissed off the new acting Guildmaster. He may, just may, have ordered some goons to cut out my tongue."

Tomas tries to interrupt, to ask a question, but Nulgha barrels through. "You've got to get me in to talk with your father. I'm skipping town, don't worry, I'll be back in a month, but there are things he absolutely has to know to keep the City intact. The old Guildmaster's gone, his successor's an ass, the Capos are splitting, and if your old man doesn't let up on the Guild for a bit, the Old Alliance and the Peace that comes with it is sunk."

"Can you do it? I need to see him, today."
OOC:
I want the nobles to be generally scared of the Old Alliance breaking, for fear of riots, gang wars, unrest, etc engulfing even their third of the city. City of Greyhawk-wise? Common knowledge, interesting fact? Not looking to establish that the Lord Mayor himself is scared of it, that sounds like it'd be too hard. :D
Nov 6, 2016 11:59 pm
Verrain says:

"Same play, different players." Gord shrugs. "All depends on whose markers I could call in. I had also considered trying to talk some out of the man but could not come up with a lie I'd believe. Have you another plan to offer? You do know the way toffs think after all."
Zachary gives a small nod, still smirking a little. "That makes sense, and I don't have a better plan. Gathering the necessary information to formulate a better plan would take more time than we have and, as you said, I am familiar with that circle." He sighs. "Will you be accompanying me as a man-servant, then?"
Nov 7, 2016 2:56 am
Tomas Heimart blinks repeatedly, clearly concerned but he also clearly can't help it as a bemused smile slowly creeps onto his lips as he's deluged with the words, "Cut your tongue out? Nulgha, what is this? Leaving Greyhawk? ..." he says incredulously, shaking his head to sort out words and thoughts, a confused smirk curling his lips, "If I could get you in the same room as His Lord Mayor, what would you say? What would I say?! 'Good day, father, meet my possibly-criminal fey-blooded witch lover. She's come to tell you how to run the city. ... How's mum?' Slow down. What is going on? The Thieves Guild is at war with itself?" he's stifled the smile completely by now, "I want to help you, my sweet, I do. But I can't just have you walking up to the People's Commander of the flaming-Guard by my invite and divulge that you have intimate knowledge of the bloody-Thieves Guild of Greyhawk!" his voice is just a whisper by the time he says the last four words, glancing to the door.
OOC:
Its pretty common knowledge that the Landed Nobility of Greyhawk hate the Thieves Guild, and hate that Heimart suffers them as much as he does.

In general the Old Alliance, as such, is a secret of the Thieves Guild, so many Landed wouldn't know the implications of it falling apart. It's probably the least secret amongst the Landed than any other Circles but still, it's spoken of as a myth just as often as a truth there (and the Guild likes it that way). You/all Thieves do know the ruling council of five (the Quintumvirate, or, Quint) know the truth, and Heimart, and likely some other power-players in the City. You can make a CoGH-wise test to "guess" how those-who-know might reasonably feel about this, or a test to gather information to find out for certain. If you discover how they feel and don't like it, you'd have to do something to change the opinion.
Nov 7, 2016 5:12 am
"Let's walk. I'll tell you everything," Nulgha says. "It's not pretty, but you deserve to know."
OOC:
Assuming he comes along...
Up and down the well-kept roads of the upper districts, Nulgha and Tomas walk and talk for the better part of an hour. Heedless of secrets, she reveals the history of the Guild both past and recent, and her fears that Nicastro will tear apart the Guild into rival factions again with his incompetence and quick temper. She tells of the Moot, and of Capo Porton, and of her own outbursts and escape.

There. That's it. Tomas, there's the truth, all of it. Gwunna keel over or step up?

"So you see. Pressure mounts on the Guild from the war, your father, the Maestro's disappearance, and his disastrous successor. Do you understand now the import?"
OOC:
Edit: if you'd like a test to see if he'll help me here, I'm trying to steer toward Ugly Truth, but wouldn't be put out if you called it Persuasion or Seduction.
Last edited November 7, 2016 6:04 am
Nov 7, 2016 2:40 pm
Shark_Bone says:

Zachary gives a small nod, still smirking a little. "That makes sense, and I don't have a better plan. Gathering the necessary information to formulate a better plan would take more time than we have and, as you said, I am familiar with that circle." He sighs. "Will you be accompanying me as a man-servant, then?"
Gord nods. "If you think I look the part. I can hopefully get something out of the servants while you mix with the gentry."
Nov 7, 2016 10:27 pm
With a smile, Zachary claps Gord on the shoulder. "I'm sure we can make you look the part. Why don't we get ready and head out? The sooner the better.
OOC:
I'm ready to get ready and then stop by for an unexpected visit to this young man. Do i know him?
Nov 8, 2016 4:08 am
OOC:
Shark_Bone says:
I'm ready to get ready and then stop by for an unexpected visit to this young man. Do i know him?
You know of the Wolsing family, and as much as Furzere told Gord (earlier in this thread).

What preparations are you both making?
Epigone says:
Nulgha and Tomas walk and talk for the better part of an hour.
Tomas continues to seem a bit overwhelmed, but his brow is furrowed as he takes in the information and tries to do something with it. "I can see, yes... I understand, I believe." he runs his hand through his hair, "But... well, let's start with... what good is going to come from you bringing this before my father? By my invite no less? If he doesn't have you thrown in some dungeon as a member of the city's organized crime structure, I would still likely not be able to see you again for the same reason. Not openly... he would ask after you, and the Guard would be the first place he'd go. And you know I must work with them, from time to time." he pulls a flask from his hip and takes a long pull from it, "And why must you be this messenger? I've heard His Loordship" he mocks the title with his tone, "has official-unofficial envoys for dealings with the Guild. And if there's one thing I know about this situation it's that you are not one of them. Perhaps there is something I can do on the other side of this trouble... something with this Nicastro?"
Nov 8, 2016 3:43 pm
OOC:
Gord just needs to borrow a change of clothes to look a little higher station than he is. His time as an apprentice taught him how to be respectful of betters. He hasn't done that in years of course but I'm sure it will come back to him. :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.