Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Sep 8, 2016 6:33 pm
I dunno how thoroughly you've read the boards so far, but in a nutshell: the party was friends of this guy Edvers Kells, this sort of larger-than-life adventurer/homesteader guy, who got accused of stealing a prized artifact called the Iron Sphere of Sthombo and was executed for it. While they were attending his burial the party got ambushed by this cult called the Six-Pronged Crown and started investigating what happened. They fled Sthombo looking for Edvers' daughter Zora, had some wacky misadventures, and found her in this massive subterranean complex known as the Badgerways which she was trying to use as a way to sneak into the city of Hazard undetected. She informs the party that Edvers really did steal the Sphere, but that the Six-Pronged Crown forced him to somehow, and before he was captured and executed he gave Zora a coded message and told her to take it to her mother in Hazard. Right now the party is in a crypt under the city, trying to find a way up and out.
Sep 8, 2016 6:55 pm
I've read through a bit of the first chapter, so I have a sense of what got the ball rolling. Still mulling over character ideas; it's looking like a pretty diverse skill set in place already which is awesome as it leaves me free to do just about anything. Anybody up for a halfling bard?
Sep 8, 2016 7:40 pm
I was going to suggest something along the magical continuum, and bard sounds about right. Being a non-human is a little tricksy - most people have been fairly suspicious of my tiefling, but I'm sure a halfling could "pass" a bit easier than a red-skinned demon man.

Looking forward to having you join in. There is a pretty good "What We Know So Far" post in the About Bload thread, though it needs updating, and you can also read the puppet show I put on to teach a scared young child that it was OK to go with strangers.
Sep 8, 2016 9:22 pm
rocksteady says:
the puppet show I put on to teach a scared young child that it was OK to go with strangers.
This sounds like my kind of group.

I am going to go with a bard, likely human - I was initially thinking halfling, but I think the character concept as it has evolved might be better as a human. Not sure, I may change that, but that's where I am at. I'll hopefully create him tonight and then pbo can tell me what I've gotten wrong and I'll be ready to go when the group is in the right position.
Sep 8, 2016 11:01 pm
Welcome, fellow Mefite!
Sep 12, 2016 5:19 pm
Fine tuning my character. A couple of questions:

-I'm trying to grasp if a spell that has a range of "touch" excludes the caster? Some spells are "self", which is clear; but if a spell is "touch" does that mean it has to be cast on someone other than the caster or could the caster choose to make it "self"?

-I'm really not sure I grok "ritual" spells...does that mean, if you have the spell written down in a book, you can cast from the book and not use a spell slot? Is that the important thing about a ritual spell?
Sep 12, 2016 5:47 pm
"Touch" spells just mean that you must physically contact the recipient of the spell, and yes it does include yourself.

Rituals do not use up a spell slot, but they do take 10 minutes longer to cast and still require the components. Your character must also have the ability to cast ritual spells, either through a class feature or a feat (as an example, Paladins do not have the ritual caster feature so they cannot cast a spell as a ritual, even if it's marked as one). Depending on what class you are, you may still need to know or prepare the spell before you can cast it as a ritual (wizards are the exception).
Sep 13, 2016 3:23 am
OK, I think I'm ready to go! Looking forward to joining the group.
Sep 14, 2016 3:29 pm
Just a quick test on the avatar front.
Sep 14, 2016 6:13 pm
Belated welcome, nubs!
Sep 14, 2016 7:10 pm
I'm just happy to be here.
Sep 30, 2016 1:55 pm
Welcome to the story, nubs. Very interesting intro. I just wanted to mention that when I click on Domarc's avatar, I get a "No Character Found" page instead of his character sheet, which I get with the others. Maybe that's intentional as you aren't officially in the party yet? Just thought I'd mention in case it was a technical issue.
Sep 30, 2016 2:37 pm
Huh. That's weird; it works for me but that might be because it is mine?
Sep 30, 2016 2:46 pm
That usually happens when the character isn't added to the public library.
Sep 30, 2016 2:51 pm
I've clicked the "add to library" button; I hope that resolves it. This is my first 5e character, so doubtless I've missed something; plus I'm sure you guys are curious.
Sep 30, 2016 2:57 pm
Whoah, check out Mr Skill Proficiencies!
Sep 30, 2016 3:09 pm
Yeah, the Bard looks to be pretty squishy in combat (plus I rolled for shit on HP) but they get a boatload of skill proficiences; in addition to the proficiencies, the Bard also has a class feature known as Jack of All Trades which allows for the addition of half the proficiency bonus to any skill the character isn't already proficient in. So, yeah, Domarc is broad and a little deep in a couple of places.
Sep 30, 2016 9:52 pm
The bard is just a ton of fun. I'm playing one in another campaign and he's a blast; so much versatility.
Oct 6, 2016 10:17 pm
Just to provide a little bigger picture context for the state of the campaign right now: Martjan is, by design, dropping hell of leads you could investigate. Some of them are completely new and some of them may tie back to people and places you've already encountered! She knows a lot about Hazard and I would encourage you all to pick her brain for as long as you like, but eventually the party will have to reach some decision together about what direction they want to proceed in -- you are not on rails at this point. Rest assured that all roads lead to adventure, if not necessarily a speedy resolution of the main plot.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.