Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Jan 2, 2017 11:59 pm
Vhezyen Khagbal is ready for action!
Last edited January 3, 2017 4:35 pm
Jan 3, 2017 10:04 am
Sorry, been busy doing nothing over the holidays! Back at work (and therefore ready to play D&D) again now!
Jan 3, 2017 1:52 pm
OK, sorry everyone! A combo of less time and Internet access than I expected over vacation. Back now!
Jan 3, 2017 8:24 pm
So what's the deal with Vhezyen (VEZ-yen? VAY-zhen?). Interesting jack-of-all-trades situation.
Jan 3, 2017 8:47 pm
Whoa, that's a lot of multi-classing going on there...Cool.
Jan 3, 2017 9:07 pm
Whoah! Check out Mr Swiss-Army-Knife!
Jan 3, 2017 9:19 pm
BTW, Vhezyen has a level up on you guys because he's going to be joining the action in chapter 5, when you'll all have leveled up as well. You might meet him as this chapter is wrapping up, though.
Jan 3, 2017 9:57 pm
Oh, and also I had totally planned/expected Adan to survive that whole fight at the temple plaza...then in comes Leth with his perfectly cinematically timed Precision Strike killshot...
Jan 3, 2017 10:00 pm
Shooting things is literally my only shtick. If I can't be good at that, what's the point? ;)

Edit: Not that it matters now, but I realize I should have added an extra d8 damage for colossus slayer to that shot, too. Ah well.
Last edited January 3, 2017 10:01 pm
Jan 3, 2017 10:23 pm
Great shot kid, that was one in a million!
Jan 3, 2017 10:31 pm
'VEZ-yen' is right. He's not so much a jack-of-all trades as he is someone who changed career paths a few times on the way to age 31.

Born in Hazard, in his late teens he did a stint for awhile as a burglar. Later, after barely escaping a failed midnight job on the temple of Thoth, he pocketed and kept a small pamphlet sized book he grabbed on the way out. Despite his miscreant criminal youth, Vhezyen was always an avid reader, curious and thirsty for knowledge, and the book somehow got his attention in the shadows of temple. He found himself fascinated by the teachings within the small book, and, eager to learn more about Thoth (Lord of Magic, Scribe of the Gods, Knower of All Secrets, Keeper of Knowledge, King of Knowledge), he returned the book to the temple of Thoth within the week. One of their priests, noticing the young man's unquenchable thirst for knowledge and repentant ways, offered him a recently vacated scribe position within the temple. Vhezyen was somehow pulled by the offer, and, despite his natural lust for riches and inclination toward thievery, couldn't say no.

Vhezyen quietly went about his work, diligent and fastidious. Years passed. He discovered faith in an appreciation for Thoth's domain, which led to sincere worship. Through this worship he discovered a power beyond the mundane, his faith fueling works of blessing and healing.In time he rose in rank, eventually performing the duties and rituals of a lowly disciple. From this moment forward he continued his studies, no longer a scribe, but a researcher, consumed by the need to know, always to be found in the libraries, burning the midnight oil. His was a desire to know everything.

As a result of his endless page turning, he discovered and began to study the arcane arts. The first magic he learned allowed him to comprehend any language written or spoken, and became his most powerful tool as he delved deeper and deeper into a world of spellcraft beyond the powers granted by faith alone. It was here, perhaps, that he had finally found himself. Given his penchant and natural aptitude for the arcane arts, the temple ordered him off to Banwod to hone his craft, guided by perhaps the finest arcane teachers of Bload. Years passed, sometimes in Banwod, sometimes in Hazard (or, as Vhezyen had learned, El-Haz-Ardu, which later became known simply as Hazard). During this time and in his travels, he learned of threats and life beyond the walls of civilization as well. No matter where he was, he was always studying, learning. whether by experience or the comfort of turning pages. It was during this time that he truly began to understand his direction in life. A fierce independent streak took hold. There was more to life than being shuttled between temple and academy, and he would have it.

Having recently returned home to Hazard once again, Vhezyen now seeks to strike out on his own. While he still has faith in Thoth, it has become one of a more casual nature. More and more, he appreciates the shackles of religious dogma less and less, as it only interferes with the quest for knowledge. As of late, his dreams place him in ancient sites, burial mounds in the darkest parts of the oldest forests, maze like caverns, ruins of bygone civilizations thought long lost, covered by the passage of time, deep underground, discovering great treasures and priceless artifacts from a time before recorded history. A spark is kindled. His waking moments are now spent dreaming, as a lust for riches, seeded long ago, once dormant and forgotten, wakes from its slumber. And Vhezyen is sure that the long lost artifacts of both gods and men could fetch a fine price somewhere...
Jan 3, 2017 10:32 pm
And that was a helluva shot, especially last chance like it was. The way he fell out of the sky was just frosting.
Jan 3, 2017 10:39 pm
notinventedhere says:
Great shot kid, that was one in a million!
Eh... I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home.
Jan 3, 2017 11:05 pm
The multi-class thing wasn't planned so much as it happened.

Based on your adventures I've read about in SHoB, I wanted to make someone who could benefit the group. However, you guys pretty much had every class covered as far as my favorites go (I like the classics: Cleric, Rogue, Fighter, Ranger, and Wizard). Then, while I was reading, I found inspiration during the part where the group was having its 'Best Private Detective Agency in Bload' episode. So, I decided to make a character that could cover some of the more mindful things in the group. Someone with a lot of knowledge and the eye to put it to use.

Given my natural love for dungeoneering, from there, it kind of evolved into an archaeologist/treasure hunter type of character, and I just had to find a way to put it together. I knew I needed some high skills I could count on, and seeing as I like both clerics, rogues, and wizards, it came down to literally putting them all together (even though I struggled with Warlock/Wizard for awhile, but settled on Wizard for a 'learning the lost arts' feel).

Looking through the cleric domains, Knowledge stuck out immediately as it complimented Rogue expertise and what I wanted to do so well. With Wizard, given the state of Bload regarding its suspicious view of magic, I wanted to keep things subtle so Divination stuck right out, which really paired well with the archaeologist/treasure hunter type, as this guy is all about finding things.
Jan 3, 2017 11:34 pm
Quote:
perfectly cinematically timed Precision Strike killshot...
I always enjoy it - both as player and DM - when the players do something unexpected and make some changes to the timing of the plot.
Jan 3, 2017 11:50 pm
I also loved nubs pretending to be Zora and causing the angry mob to batter that guy to death.
Last edited January 3, 2017 11:52 pm
Jan 3, 2017 11:55 pm
Great backstory, Ezeriah. Welcome to the team.

Adan falling out of the sky was a Ned-Stark-gets-beheaded moment. I literally gasped out loud reading it.
Jan 3, 2017 11:58 pm
That damn fake acolyte downlow healed him THREE TIMES and you people still managed to kill him off at the last possible moment
Jan 4, 2017 12:50 am
I was definitely having a "AIM FOR THE MEDIC! AIM FOR THE MEDIC!" moment there.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.