Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Jan 6, 2017 8:57 pm
Ah, that makes more sense, thanks CancerMan.
Jan 6, 2017 9:03 pm
I will admit that I did not make the connection that Initiative is an ability check. Good find! Zangua will get a similar bonus at 7th level, if he lives that long!
Jan 7, 2017 4:04 am
Gonna roll for HP.

At level 5, I get +1 to my proficiency bonus, Extra Attack (YES), and an extra combat maneuver, with the option to swap out one of my older ones. Also I think my poultices (which I have not used at all :/ ) heal an additional d6 now?

Rolls

healthy points - (1d10+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jan 7, 2017 4:17 am
Also, the more I look at these combat maneuvers, the more I'm seeing how they really weren't meant for ranged characters lol

A few of them only work if you do a melee attack, and Trip Attack - which gives the the chance to knock a target prone - is great for melee fighters who would then get advantage against their opponent for each subsequent attack, but for a ranged fighter, that would actually give me disadvantage. Feinting attack would be great as well, but it also is useless for a ranged character, as my enemy has to be within 5 feet of me.

I do have a question about Riposte:
Quote:
When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction and expend one superiority die to make a melee attack against the creature. If you hit, you add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.
Would this apply even if I'm not currently holding a melee weapon? Would I just drop my bow to draw a sword, and have to pick it back up on the next round?
Jan 7, 2017 4:35 am
In the spirit of combat that makes sense, I'd think you'd have to have a melee weapon at the ready while you're receiving the attack you're gonna riposte.
Jan 7, 2017 4:41 am
Assuming you're looking at the Battle Master maneuvers, also consider how these abilities might apply to the team. Trip Attack for a ranged attacker would give you disadvantage on a prone opponent, but your teammates would be there (or they should, since there needs to be a melee person to shield you). It is true that for Feinting, a ranged fighter would be required to supplement with the Crossbow Master feat to take advantage, but there are a number of other maneuvers like Menacing and Goading that can severely limit the opponent and help control the battlefield.

I'm running a Fighter with a ranged focus and plan to take the Battle Master archetype, so I've put some thought into which maneuvers I think would benefit the party: Menacing, Precision, and Trip first, Distracting and Goading second.
Jan 7, 2017 4:43 am
Menacing is the one I'm looking at the hardest, I think, although Distracting Strike and Command could be a pretty good double-whammy: I use distracting strike, then command Mordred to attack, now with advantage so he could get his sneak attack bonus.
Jan 7, 2017 6:01 am
CancerMan says:
I'm running a Fighter with a ranged focus and plan to take the Battle Master archetype, so I've put some thought into which maneuvers I think would benefit the party: Menacing, Precision, and Trip first, Distracting and Goading second.
I thought Zangua was a Champion archetype? My understanding is that you pick your archetype at level 3.
Jan 7, 2017 6:50 am
Zangua is a Champion. The fighter I referred to is in another game. I apologize for the lack of clarity.
Jan 7, 2017 4:57 pm
Ah okay. That makes sense.
Jan 8, 2017 12:39 am
I think Menacing Attack is the one I'll take next, but I'm considering swapping out Distracting Strike with Trip Attack.

Distracing strike requires no save from the target, it just automatically gives advantage to the next person who attacks them, but it only works for one attack. Trip Attack gives advantage against the target until their turn, potentially letting multiple people utilize it, but it requires a saving throw from the target to work, so there's a chance it might not work at all.

Also haven't ruled out Command. Thoughts, Cancerman? (And Rocksteady, who would probably be on the receiving end of Command the most?)
Last edited January 8, 2017 12:40 am
Jan 8, 2017 1:03 am
Commander's Strike is great in the right situations, and like you've intimated it's awesome when you have a Rogue with Sneak Attack.
Jan 9, 2017 10:51 pm
Level 5!
I can revive from death (actual death not just 0HP) with Revivify.
I can dispell magic with Dispell Magic (probably good against those Hold Persons and Charms).
I can now destroy weaker undead guys with Turn Undead.
I can make a wall of wind with... Wind Wall. Blocks projectiles (arrows etc), damages enemies.
I can improve farmland with Plant Growth. Screw you guys I'm off to start a lucrative agricultural career.
Jan 9, 2017 11:39 pm
notinventedhere says:
Level 5!
I can revive from death (actual death not just 0HP) with Revivify.
I can dispell magic with Dispell Magic (probably good against those Hold Persons and Charms).
I can now destroy weaker undead guys with Turn Undead.
I can make a wall of wind with... Wind Wall. Blocks projectiles (arrows etc), damages enemies.
I can improve farmland with Plant Growth. Screw you guys I'm off to start a lucrative agricultural career.
Nice. I like that Revivify a lot. As far as your agricultural career, Revivify should help insulate you from any of your workers 'accidental death and dismemberment' claims...
Jan 10, 2017 4:27 pm
I should add I have a wealth of AOE spells now from my Nature Domain selection:
Plant Growth (non-agricultural version): 100ft radius; have to spend 4ft of movement to move 1ft. Can leave some areas within the radius clear.
Spike Growth: 20ft radius; moving in the area makes you take 2d4 damage every 5 feet. Is camouflaged.
Wind Wall: 50ft long, 15ft high, 1ft thick wall of wind; is a line rather than a circle but can be shaped to hit multiple enemies (3d8 dam on failed STR save) so could act as AOE.

I don't think I've ever managed to use any of these yet but they're worth keeping in mind if we encounter a group of enemies.
Jan 10, 2017 4:34 pm
On Continual Flame...
notinventedhere says:
I think that will need to wait until I've got more Prepared Spell space though.
Well, if you do find a way to fit it in to your prepared list for a day (it wouldn't need to be a permanent part of your list, as the spell itself is permanent... make a couple magic torches and never cast it again), you could always cast it at the end of the day, before the next long rest, using any leftover slots still available. I can focus on backing up your heals that day to help conserve your second level slots.

Anyway, just an idea, in case we're ever in a situation where we can't make light via magic (e.g., Silence spell), nature (too windy, torches/tinder are soaked), or the worst case scenario, both at the same time (I'm not sure what the challenge level Octo might have planned for us is).

But yeah, if it seems too tight a fit, that's what regular torches and cantrips are for.
Last edited January 10, 2017 4:34 pm
Jan 10, 2017 5:21 pm
Now Domarc has the plot football! I really should have named this chapter "The Thing What Zora Horked Up"
Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm
Of all of the mornings to have a long meeting! I will run with the football!
Jan 10, 2017 6:45 pm
Hey, as I look at levelling up, I see what seems to be some ambiguity in the Tiefling racial abilities. Can I get a ruling for the future?
Quote:
Darkvision: Thanks to your infernal heritage, you have superior vision in dark and dim Conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in Darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in Darkness, only shades of gray.

[...]

Infernal Legacy: [...] When you reach 5th level, you can cast the Darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a Long Rest.[...]
But the description of the Darkness spell says
Quote:
Magical darkness spreads from a point you choose within range to fill a 15-foot radius Sphere for the Duration. The darkness spreads around corners. A creature with Darkvision can't see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can't illuminate it.
So can Mordred's Darkvision see through his own Darkness?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.