Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Jan 10, 2017 6:49 pm
I don't see anything indicating casters can see through their own Darkness, so yeah, you would bedark yourself.
Jan 10, 2017 6:53 pm
CancerMan says:
Nope.
Yeah, magic darkness is it's own special miasma of blindness.
Jan 10, 2017 6:58 pm
That's pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to make sure.
Jan 10, 2017 7:23 pm
Oh, and I dig the Commander's Strike thing if you are still interested in that, thedandyman. Keep in mind, I can only do Sneak Attack damage once per round, but it would free me up to use a spell during my turn.
Jan 10, 2017 7:25 pm
I've read that it's once per turn, which implies that during the Fighter's turn you could apply your Sneak Attack even if you've already performed your Attack actions.
Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm
Also, Mordred now has Uncanny Dodge, which means he can use his reaction to halve any damage he takes from an Attack delivered by an attacker he can see. Would that include a spell attack, like Magic Missile, or just physical damage?

Also also, regarding the rings of Spell Storing, Mordred has already been wearing one. So he can cast a spell into it before a Long Rest and then have an "extra" spell for the next day?

And that brings Mordred's Question Time to a close.
Last edited January 10, 2017 7:32 pm
Jan 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Yeah, I need to sit down and level up tonight. Every time I start in I realize I need to double check something and that I should be trying it in a 15 minute window of downtime,
Quote:
I've read that it's once per turn, which implies that during the Fighter's turn you could apply your Sneak Attack even if you've already performed your Attack actions.
Yeah, that was either in the Sage Advice column or I heard it on Dragon Talk or something; the sneak attack applies once per turn, so it could be used as part of a Commander's Strike provided it hasn't been used that round. It's a really neat synergy, and it has me looking for where there might be others between the classes.
Last edited January 10, 2017 7:33 pm
Jan 10, 2017 7:31 pm
Quote:
Oh, you appear to be right about that. I think I was mixing up the definition of turn v. round, or something. Neat!
Jan 10, 2017 7:36 pm
Quote:
Mordred now has Uncanny Dodge, which means he can use his reaction to halve any damage he takes from an Attack delivered by an attacker he can see. Would that include a spell attack, like Magic Missile, or just physical damage?
OK, I know I heard this in action on one podcast or another. I believe it applies to spells that have a roll to hit, as those are considered to be Attacks.
Jan 10, 2017 7:42 pm
Uncanny Dodge applies to any attack that causes damage to the rogue, which includes spells. However, I am unclear whether or not that applies to Magic Missile, since there's no "attack" roll. I do know that a spell like Fireball, which causes damage to an area, is not affected by Uncanny Dodge (which you would instead use Evasion when you reach that level).
Last edited January 10, 2017 7:42 pm
Jan 10, 2017 8:05 pm
So Fire Bolt, yes. Fireball, no. Magic Missile ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Last edited January 10, 2017 8:05 pm
Jan 10, 2017 8:10 pm
rocksteady says:
Also also, regarding the rings of Spell Storing, Mordred has already been wearing one. So he can cast a spell into it before a Long Rest and then have an "extra" spell for the next day?
That is how the rings are intended to work, yes.
Jan 10, 2017 8:35 pm
That's a carefully worded answer, Octo. ಠ~ಠ
Jan 10, 2017 10:00 pm
CancerMan says:
Uncanny Dodge applies to any attack that causes damage to the rogue, which includes spells. However, I am unclear whether or not that applies to Magic Missile, since there's no "attack" roll. I do know that a spell like Fireball, which causes damage to an area, is not affected by Uncanny Dodge (which you would instead use Evasion when you reach that level).
Cancer Man has the right idea. What I've noticed in the spell descriptions is that some of them say to 'make a ranged spell attack' (e.g., Firebolt, Chilling Touch, Melf's Acid Arrow) whereas others don't (Fireball, Magic Missile, Lightning Bolt). That seems to be the difference.
Jan 10, 2017 10:57 pm
I hope that wasn't too much; I just had a moment of inspiration there when I saw the message and the fact that we're trying to somewhat disguise what we are talking about.
Jan 10, 2017 11:04 pm
I am delighted. Orson Welles slow clap dot gif. But let's just say that you went ahead and mouthed the words "SECOND HOME BY THE SEA" afterwards just so everybody is all crystal clear about what the string said.
Jan 10, 2017 11:10 pm
I can live with that.
Jan 10, 2017 11:36 pm
Chapter four is finally finished! We can pretty much jump right into the next chapter as soon as everybody has leveled up. You all have a few hours to move around Hazard before the party "officially" reconvenes, so feel free to buy equipment for yourselves if you want. This should be a more traditionally dungeons-and-dragonsy chapter with monsters and treasure and whatnot, so prepare accordingly! Any between-chapter business can be posted to this thread.
Jan 10, 2017 11:55 pm
I didn't think I'd put everyone to sleep :(

But we did need to move on.
Jan 11, 2017 1:00 am
By my calculations, we have over 700 gp in Party Lootz, so feel free to splash out a little. Mordred is going to invest in a nice set of black studded leathers for 45gp (can I trade in my slightly very used leathers for a discount?) and a Dungeoneer's Pack for 12.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.