Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Jan 11, 2017 4:15 am
So I'm debating between some different spells for my second 3rd level slot; either Hypnotic Pattern (given this next chapter sounds more dungeon crawly, it might make sense) or Nondetection or Sending. The latter two are more about attempting to advance things around the larger plot/story...

Any input?

Edit - nevermind; I just noticed I only learn one new spell while gaining two new spell slots, which I already blew on Bestow Curse. I also changed one cantrip from Friends to Vicious Mockery.
Last edited January 11, 2017 4:23 am
Jan 11, 2017 4:41 am
I like the Hypnotic Pattern for combat, obviously. It's defense (they're incapacitated= not attacking) and offense (they're incapacitated= not defending) together. Making combat smoother is always good.

Nondetection would be useful to abate concerns of powerful mages listening in from afar. It would also be useful to avoid that rare instance of dealing with something that sees through Divination. Throw it on top of someone already Invisible, and you stop the See Invisibility spell from working, allowing one of the party sneak types (Mordred, Me) to scout ahead with even greater confidence. Lastly, since it counters all Divination magic, it would stop new friends from prying into your mind with a Detect Thoughts spell.

Sending, meh. Pretty one dimensional, something I'll tacking on when I've collected more useful spells. Yeah, you could use it to talk to someone, but that's it. Useful? Sure. But will we need it to advance the plot? Nope (unless Octo is really playing rough). Besides, if the person you want to contact (e.g., Zora) is under magical protection that prevents such communications (e.g., Leomund's Tiny Hut, one of my favorites and a spell that ensures group safety/comfort for the long rest) it will be useless anyway.

In fact, now that I think about it, Leo's Tiny Hut is the place for secret meetings, private, cozy, and warm. It's all sorts of magic proof. It's not one of the 'sexy' spells, but for the deep dungeons, it provides the ultimate in 'home' security.
Last edited January 11, 2017 4:42 am
Jan 11, 2017 4:47 am
Hey Nubs, keep in mind that Bestow Curse allows the target a saving throw. Not trying to be too 'advice-ish', but in my experience, I get a lot more mileage out of spells that don't allow saving throws. They're reliable, and tend to work.

Sometimes, I look at it this way: do we already have more than enough ways to kill/defeat stuff? If so, then I tend to go for versatility. Although, I'll grant that Bestow Curse has some umph. But the way I look at it, anything worth casting it on, probably has more than a 50% chance to pass the saving throw.
Jan 11, 2017 4:52 am
Remember, when you strategize out loud, it just helps me decide what to use against you.

Mordred, you can trade in your shredded, bloodstained armor for 10 CP on the GP.
Jan 11, 2017 5:06 am
BullOctorok says:
Remember, when you strategize out loud, it just helps me decide what to use against you.
Oh, I know. No doubt.

At the same time, I assume you were already on top of it, in regards to creating challenge. However, being a fair DM, I'm sure you won't artificially stack the deck against us. I'm a merciless DM/GM myself, but I simply allow the players to create their own messes, or get themselves killed. In my experience, players tend to have a false sense of security. Of course, that depends on the DM.
Jan 11, 2017 5:15 am
Vhezyen's Chapter 5 Shopping List

And yes, I know I haven't earned it. I can totally appreciate that. However, perhaps Vhezyen makes a good case for some of the below during the group's next meal, before leaving. Some of these items are more mundane, but some of them will have potential uses, to be sure.

Things on Vhezyen's Personal List
I'll pay for these items with personal funds if needed

Bedroll 1 gp 7 lb
Blanket 5 sp 3 lb.
Caltrops (bag of 20) 1 gp 2 lb.
Candle x4 4 cp --
Chalk x4 4 cp —
Mirror, steel 5 gp 1/2 lb.
Sack for loot 1 cp 1/2 lb.
Waterskin 2 sp 5 lb. (full)

Total: 7 gp, 7 sp, 9 cp

Items that may be of interest to the group
Shovel 2 gp 5 lb. Never know when you'll need to dig
Hunting trap 5 gp 25 lb. Traps are great, especially in narrow corridors
Manacles x2 2 gp 6 lb. Got someone you don't want moving around on you? Steel is better than rope.

Also, assuming Vhezyen can go to the temple of Thoth (which should work given Octo's time frame), I'd like to think he could copy some spells from their library, both preparation free rituals for Vhezyen:

Detect Magic (1/2 price for Vhezyen as he is a Divination Wizard, 25 gp in magical ink)--- best part: for 25 gp we free up a 1st level spell for Felor's preparation list.

Tenser's Floating Disk (50 gp in magical ink)-- we can haul more/heavy stuff, wounded PC's, captive NPC's, and I can think of more versatility for it, depending on the situation.

It's all I've got for now. Sooner or later I'd like to tack on Magic Mouth as well (ritual), but that's another 100 gp, which seems hefty for party treasure. However, just like the underestimated, underrated, underappreciated Leo's Hut, it's not one of the sexier spells (e.g., Fireball, Invisibility, Revivify), but it unlocks versatility in choices and creative use.

Any thoughts?
Jan 11, 2017 9:49 am
rocksteady says:
By my calculations, we have over 700 gp in Party Lootz, so feel free to splash out a little. Mordred is going to invest in a nice set of black studded leathers for 45gp (can I trade in my slightly very used leathers for a discount?) and a Dungeoneer's Pack for 12.
Whoah! Cashmoney! And there I was agonising over spending all of my own 5GP.

edit: Felor's going to upgrade from scale mail to chain mail (45GP), gaining 1AC overall.

edit edit: I've swapped out Detect Magic for Shield Of Faith (+2AC). I already have the domain spell Barkskin but that seems to be getting less useful now (gives you a minimum AC of 16 - does anyone still have a lower AC than that?)
Last edited January 11, 2017 10:08 am
Jan 11, 2017 10:13 am
PBO - were there 5 of the copper (spell storage) rings or 6? I thought it was 5 but I'd noted down 6.
Mordred is wearing one, right? Anyone else want to take one or more and try and figure out how they work?
Jan 11, 2017 12:08 pm
There were 6, and Mordred is wearing one, so that leaves 5.

Do we want to spend time/money investigating any of the other weird goblin loot?
Quote:
From the Goblin Trunk:

An ivory pitcher
A small case made of dark, fine-grained wood with a pastoral scene carved into the lid containing
- two pink glass ampoules full of liquid
A foot-tall painted statue of a human figure with a gazelle's head
A silver hand mirror
A scroll case made of pale wood containing
- A papyrus scroll of Unseen Servant
A tin jewelry box engraved with exotic floral patterns containing
- Two small bone bracelets carved with an elaborate, spidery script
- A pair of red silk gloves embroidered with golden thread
- A necklace of multicolored glass beads
- A hematite cylinder seal that depicts a standing male figure, a flying bird, and a gazelle in repose surrounded by intricate lettering
Jan 11, 2017 12:13 pm
I think I did a Detect Magic on the lot, and found the rings, right?

The pink ampules and the copper vial still need investigating.
The Unseen Servant scroll is worth keeping handy.
Jan 11, 2017 12:18 pm
Quote:
Any thoughts?
That all sounds great. I like the Tenser's Floating Disk especially. I'll take the money out of party loot for all of that.
Quote:
I already have the domain spell Barkskin but that seems to be getting less useful now (gives you a minimum AC of 16 - does anyone still have a lower AC than that?)
I have a 15.

After Mordred, Felor and Vezhyen's shopping spree (cue montage) we still have 576 gp as a party.
Last edited January 11, 2017 12:24 pm
Jan 11, 2017 12:47 pm
Is there anywhere in Hazard we can sell off all that loot?
Jan 11, 2017 1:46 pm
I know Mordred is not going to look for the Thieves' Guild again.
Jan 11, 2017 2:49 pm
A lot in this post, but it addresses multiple concepts and ideas...

Octo, is it possible to stay in town an extra day? The proprietor is charging us by the day at the end of our stay, which gave me the impression we could take a little time. Unless there is something pushing the party out the window, what do you guys think about staying an extra day to make some preparations? We could charge the spell storing rings, at least partially, for one. With an extra day, Felor could make a couple magic torches (I know it might seem trivial, but it can only help, and you never know). Not to mention, RP wise, I'm sure the group could use an extra day.

As Octo said, we should prepare for this trip. And, in my experience, 5th level is a jumping off point of sorts, where the monsters and the dungeons get more interesting, more complicated, less mundane. Vhezyen, for one, would do everything within his power to make sure every slightest detail he could imagine was addressed.
rocksteady says:
...Spell storing rings...There were 6, and Mordred is wearing one, so that leaves 5.
So... who is interested in these? I know I am. Storing spells that are used less frequently and harder to put on my prepared list would be extremely useful. Also, I think Zangua and Leth might each find a ring useful, depending on how much their characters are interested in using magic.

My understanding is that any spell cast from the rings is cast at the lowest level for that spell using the ability of the caster who stored it, no matter the spell slot. For example, if Felor put a 3rd level Cure Wounds in one, when used it would come out with 1st level healing power, unless Felor casts it; likewise, an attack spell would have the spell ability attack bonus/save DC of the caster who stored it, but do the lowest possible damage for that spell.

Still, a simple Cure Wounds would allow them to revive down players or self-heal in a pinch, a Shield spell could save them from a nasty hit as a reaction, a Feather Fall would have obvious uses, etc. Speaking of storing spells, who Revives Felor if he dies?

Also, the rings obviously work how Octo wants them to, as the rules are just guidelines anyway. Just went off my interpretation of the DMG there, and what I read here.

We should, at the least, figure this out. Those rings are extremely versatile tools that allows us some flexibility, and, as far as I know, can be used by anyone.
rocksteady says:
Do we want to spend time/money investigating any of the other weird goblin loot?
Given the descriptions of some of the items below, I think spending some time would be prudent. Vhezyen would certainly be happy to identify the entire lot with both mundane (Arcana, History, Religion, Investigation, etc) and magical means (Detect Magic, Identify, Comprehend Languages). For example, I'd definitely Comprehend Languages on the hematite cylinder seal that depicts a standing male figure, a flying bird, and a gazelle in repose surrounded by intricate lettering, not to mention the two small bone bracelets carved with an elaborate, spidery script.

Perhaps Octo would be okay identifying the lot with a hand wave, given the group has time, and Vhezyen is built for this kind of work? I'd hate to let something go that warrants further understanding, or, more importantly, could lead to some great side quests.
Quote:
From the Goblin Trunk:

An ivory pitcher
A small case made of dark, fine-grained wood with a pastoral scene carved into the lid containing
- two pink glass ampoules full of liquid
A foot-tall painted statue of a human figure with a gazelle's head
A silver hand mirror
A scroll case made of pale wood containing
- A papyrus scroll of Unseen Servant
A tin jewelry box engraved with exotic floral patterns containing
- Two small bone bracelets carved with an elaborate, spidery script
- A pair of red silk gloves embroidered with golden thread
- A necklace of multicolored glass beads
- A hematite cylinder seal that depicts a standing male figure, a flying bird, and a gazelle in repose surrounded by intricate lettering
-
-
-
-
notinventedhere says:
Is there anywhere in Hazard we can sell off all that loot?
After we take a look at it (given a day), depending on what we find, we sell anything that is simply basic treasure. We can sell Unseen Servant, as already I've got Unseen Servant. As far as who to sell to, Vhezyen knows collectors as part of his backstory, who would surely pay a good price on some items, depending. Or pawn shops, various stores that sell similar goods, etc. Domarc's social skill set would come in quite handy as far as negotiating prices.
rocksteady says:
Quote:
Any thoughts?
That all sounds great. I like the Tenser's Floating Disk especially. I'll take the money out of party loot for all of that.
If nobody objects and Octo gives the okay, cool. I don't want to make assumptions on the spells, but I think Thoth, a deity of Magic and more, would have some basic spells I could copy. Too bad I already know Unseen Servant. If only I had remembered you guys found that while I was building my character...

Also, the shovel, manacles, and trap were suggestions.

Cancerman, it's heavier gear, and my character isn't ripped. Zangua would likely be good for carrying such, if he wants to, not to mention he has the best skill set to put the manacles to use by taking someone down (Grappling). The trap is just plain heavy, perhaps unnecessarily so (although it could always be left behind, if needed, to free up weight). I do, however, think the shovel and manacles are worth their weight.
Jan 11, 2017 3:18 pm
From an RP perspective, I think Mordred would be on board with staying in town an extra day. His priority is actually making sure Zora is OK and settled.

Given that Octo has not been a stickler for encumbrance and whatnot, I think the shovel and manacles are no-brainers, and the trap is worth lugging around, for now at least.
Jan 11, 2017 4:13 pm
Zangua isn't sure about the Rings, mostly because he is very unfamiliar with magic and sorcery even if a Cure Wounds was put into it.

I forgot that we had party funds. I vaguely recall now that Zangua didn't partake in the other treasure, including coins, since he took the magical armor and polearm.

If there's enough leftover, Zangua would want a glaive, and is willing to carry a set of manacles in his pack.
Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm
Quote:
Hey Nubs, keep in mind that Bestow Curse allows the target a saving throw. Not trying to be too 'advice-ish', but in my experience, I get a lot more mileage out of spells that don't allow saving throws. They're reliable, and tend to work.
I'll have another quick review, but I don't think the Bard spell list gets me anything that provides some offensive oomph without allowing a saving throw. I want a bit of offensive oomph if we're going more dungeon crawly; of them all, I like Bestow Curse the most just for the ongoing chance that the victim is unable to take an action; but Hypnotic Pattern can hit a group...so, yeah, I'll do some thinking and make a call.

Sending is a straight up character RP thing for Domarc; and Leomund's Tiny Hut would be great for creating a private space for us - but it might be worth grabbing next chance I get.

Edit - I'll take a ring of spell storing if available; there was also a ring of protection and a +1 dagger from the fight at the WBTC that I can't recall if we handed out.
Last edited January 11, 2017 4:24 pm
Jan 11, 2017 4:26 pm
CancerMan says:
If there's enough leftover, Zangua would want a glaive, and is willing to carry a set of manacles in his pack.
Anything that helps Zangua kill things is a great idea. With polearm master, that glaive is ideal. And two sets of manacles would be best. Hands and ankles, you know.
Jan 11, 2017 4:45 pm
nubs says:
...Leo's Tiny Hut...
-
I'll take a ring of spell storing if available; there was also a ring of protection and a +1 dagger from the fight at the WBTC that I can't recall if we handed out.
The stranger/more dangerous the locations, the more that Hut will benefit. Not selling it, as I agree it can wait. But one of us should get it, sooner or later (2 levels away for me). Domarc should definitely take a ring of spell storing.

I think the Ring of Protection +1 would go well on Zangua or Felor. Zangua spends a lot of time up front, but I've got to lean toward Felor on this as keeping the healer alive is always a priority, and that will boost his AC and saving throws with a +1. I think Felor should grab 1-2 rings of spell storing as well: some emergency/extra banks of spells would be useful for him, no doubt, and he has a large repertoire of spells he could put in those rings. Personally, I wouldn't mind having 2 for myself, depending on the rest of the group's interests. Not being greedy, but if there isn't a clamor for them, I'll take what I can wear.

And, just as insurance on Felor dying, someone should be packing a ring that he has imbued with Revivify. I'd be happy to put that on one of my rings, for emergency use only. It would take up most of the ring's storage (3 out 5 slots worth), but it would be well worth it.

As far as spell storing, we could take the day to prepare and store spells we wouldn't usually have prepared for the adventure.

If the dagger hasn't been identified, Vhezyen would do so with the extra day we're (hopefully) taking.
Last edited January 11, 2017 4:49 pm
Jan 11, 2017 5:07 pm
Mordred has the dagger, but only so he would have a magical weapon in case we ran into another werebadger. He's willing to give it up if someone has a more pressing need.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.