Character Concepts & Campaign Info

load previous
Jan 11, 2017 5:15 pm
Werebadger, or a metal construct.

I don't think a character can use more than 2 magical rings, and then there's the attunement restriction if any of the rings require it. Whatever is not being used can either be sold or Zangua can try to use them.
Jan 11, 2017 5:20 pm
rocksteady says:
Mordred has the dagger, but only so he would have a magical weapon in case we ran into another werebadger. He's willing to give it up if someone has a more pressing need.
If it's magical, Mordred might be able to position himself for a perfect sneak attack, adding that 3(?)d6. If nobody else wants it, it would be ideal for a thrifty rogue in certain situations. Also, I know it isn't Zangua's cup of tea, based off my reading of Ch 1-4, but I'm guessing he would use the best tool for the job. He seems like that kind of guy. Although it's just a dagger, if the glaive isn't working. Although, still, a dagger with +3d6 sounds better, with whoever is in the front line perhaps distracting the foe (as you guys did expertly, at times, against the Machine Man, in the Badgerways).

I know Leth has a +1 short sword, which I'm sure he'll put to use if needed, as he's done before.

I've built Vhezyen for some front line work as well, to add some durability and take some of the heat off Zangua and Felor as needed, but I don't need the dagger.

Of course, we should identify it first.
Jan 11, 2017 5:24 pm
To be fair, Zangua also has Scale Mail +1 and once wielded the magical catchpole. I'm fine with someone else have a magic weapon, armor, or accessory.
Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm
CancerMan says:
I don't think a character can use more than 2 magical rings, and then there's the attunement restriction if any of the rings require it. Whatever is not being used can either be sold or Zangua can try to use them.
The rings do require attunement, which is basically hanging out with the ring for a short rest.

I'm not sure on the 2 rings thing, which is a classic RPG limitation that I can get behind. I get that limitation, but it always seemed so contrived. Looking under rings in the DMG (again, guidelines) it doesn't mention any limit. There is, however, for magic items in general, a limit of 3 attuned items in use by a person at a time. Perhaps that's the new rule of thumb, covering (attuned) magic items in general?

However, I'm sure Octo will give us a DM's ruling. The only way I'd take 3 of them anyway is if nobody else wants them. I don't think we should sell them.
Last edited January 11, 2017 5:29 pm
Jan 11, 2017 5:31 pm
Quote:
At the same time, I assume you were already on top of it, in regards to creating challenge. However, being a fair DM, I'm sure you won't artificially stack the deck against us.
I like to set players up for interesting failure, not catastrophic failure. But the stakes are getting higher and the challenges are gonna get tougher from here on out! Never hurts to have a backup character sketched out in case you get bad rolls on a death save, just sayin'
Quote:
The pink ampules and the copper vial still need investigating.
I did not expect these to remain mysterious for so long. All three of them are potions of healing.
Quote:
Is there anywhere in Hazard we can sell off all that loot?
You can easily liquidate the nonmagical loot for, let's say 500 GP.
Quote:
Octo, is it possible to stay in town an extra day?
The next chapter is going to start 24 hours after the last one ended, and all the shopping we're covering here will have taken place in that time period. You're pretty much immediately going to head into a Council of Elrond type situation where you decide what direction to go next, and once that decision is made, it'll be up to the party if you want to stay in Hazard a little longer.
Quote:
Perhaps Octo would be okay identifying the lot with a hand wave, given the group has time, and Vhezyen is built for this kind of work?
The most interesting things to Vhezyen are the seal, the statue, and the bracelets. They're a couple hundred years old, at least, and probably came from one of the Haferan kingdoms bordering Mez to the south. The seal reads "Iah-Moh, scribe of Rais, Lord of the Hunt who brings back meat that has been made nourishing and clean by Reshef." The writing on the bone bracelets is similar but different; they probably came from a neighboring land. One reads "taken from the hip of Uguk-Nas, may his spirit be bound to the wearer and protect him from an ignoble death," and the other reads the same but names "Quick-Thinking Chowhat" as the source of the hip it was made from. The rest of it is Mezian finery, all of it made within the last century, except for the glass necklace, which is probably about as old as the Haferan stuff.
Quote:
As far as spell storing, we could take the day to prepare and store spells we wouldn't usually have prepared for the adventure.
Casting spells into the rings needs to be done as an in-game action, but don't, like, read anything into that.
Jan 11, 2017 5:35 pm
I'm not sure what dagger needs identifying?

The DM ruling on ring-stacking is that it depends on the type of enchantment. You can wear as many as you can cram on your fingers, but some rings' magical auras will cancel each other out or misalign your hand chakras or whatever, so just proceed with caution if you find a third ring you really want to wear.
Jan 11, 2017 5:59 pm
So the next chapter literally starts the morning after our post-Gahmez fire breakfast together/Domarc's string reading. That seems like enough time to me.

--I think the potions of healing would go well with people who tend to get up close and can't cast heal spells. Zangua? Leth? Mordred? Maybe one to Domarc, to cover the low AC/HP? Just ideas.

--500 GP sounds good to me.

--As far as the seal, the statue, and the bracelets, no magic comes off of them via Detect Magic (which seems implied, but am clarifying)? Otherwise, they seem more spiritual, with beliefs in power, rather than actual magic.

--Perhaps we wait until we're actually in game to store spells. Identify should have picked up a curse it there was one present, but Octo's cryptic warning is... curious.

And, based on Octo's ring stacking ruling, 2 would be enough. No reason to push the limits as of yet.
Last edited January 11, 2017 6:00 pm
Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm
Yeah, none of that treasure was magical.
Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm
Yeah, I'd love to have a healing potion on hand, and I'm cool with selling off the tchotchkes.
Jan 11, 2017 8:50 pm
Is anyone still in the process of leveling up? I might go ahead and open up chapter 5 later today unless anyone needs more time.
Jan 11, 2017 8:57 pm
I'm done leveling Zangua up. I'll update his inventory once we've decided who gets what.

For the group, please deduct 24 gold for the purchase of a glaive and two sets of manacles. If there are potions of healing left over, Zangua will gladly hold onto at least one.
Jan 11, 2017 9:03 pm
I'm pretty much done; my gut is telling me what to do with spell choice, and maybe I should listen to it. I can't think of any shopping I need to do, but maybe I should take a look at an equipment list...
Jan 11, 2017 9:10 pm
So, with the extra GP Octo sent our way, we can drag it around, or spend some more. Octo might be playing it loose with encumbrance, but when you guys were in the Badgerway, he didn't allow you to drag out everything (e.g., chest, copper), so he's at least thinking about it.

We have approximately 1,000 GP. What if...

--Felor got some Splint armor, instead of the chain he just bought (125 more gp). That would up his AC by 1 more, to 19 (with his shield). Given that, perhaps the ring of protection +1 might go somewhere else? Zangua likes the polearms, and making him tankier can't hurt either. Leth typically uses bows, so isn't quite as up close as Zangua and Felor. Mordred gets in there sometimes, and actually dropped to zero at the shrine.

I can see reasons for anyone to want it, but have to wonder where it might help mitigate the most damage. With the two ring concept mentioned by Octo before, I'd rather have the Spell Storing rings, assuming Octo hasn't given them to us as a cruel, 'fooled you' kind of joke :)

--In fact, I think anyone who can should upgrade their armor. I know Zangua is sitting nice with his +1 Scale, which combines nicely with his Dex, but Domarc and Leth might want to take a look, and I know Mordred already has (even though, I think we could swing a chain shirt for him too). The chain shirts are great for those who want to go light, with good protection.

For myself, the chain shirt I started with is good. I'd like to have a higher AC, but as an ex-burglar, Vhezyen values stealth, so many better armors aren't an option, and I think the breast plate is just too much for now at 400 gp. For now I'll just go: chain shirt + shield + dex = 17

--Given the extra gold, perhaps I could even add Magic Mouth, maybe Knock.

-- I know we don't need to, and shouldn't, spend it all, but we should gear up as well as we can. Just putting ideas out there while we're fairly flush with loot. There aren't likely to be shops in the dungeon Octo has hinted at.
Last edited January 11, 2017 9:14 pm
Jan 11, 2017 9:12 pm
I'm ready to go too, I just think we need should settle on a couple of things. The armor is all around a good idea. The two additional spells I mentioned would be another 200 gp, but would give us more options and versatility in the future.
Jan 11, 2017 9:20 pm
Another note: armor upgrades for all and the spells mentioned would leave us above 500 gp still. Around 600, I think, or more, depending on armor choices.

Since it's PbP and a bit clunkier to communicate, in the interest of brevity, I'm going to tack on the additional spells (Magic Mouth and Knock) and take two of the rings (especially since nobody's really jumping at them yet). Again, I do so for the sake of brevity. If someone is opposed for some reason, or even has better suggestions/ideas regarding anything, I can change things back/adjust.
Jan 11, 2017 9:30 pm
Right, Rocksteady is doing accounting. Unless the group thinks it's overkill on the spells, that's another 200 gp. With Zangua's manacles, we should still be above 800, I think.
Last edited January 11, 2017 9:32 pm
Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm
First post is up, chapter five thread is unlocked.
Jan 11, 2017 11:37 pm
BullOctorok says:
Zangua is dreaming...He circles around the glacier and sees the mouth of the cavern that leads within...
You will attend to me, and you will bring ME FORTH
Sounds like you have some serious business to attend to, CancerMan. A cave, in the middle of nowhere, lost in a glacial mountain range? I hate the cold, but count me in.
Jan 11, 2017 11:45 pm
Just a heads up, I'm gonna be suuuuper busy the next few days. May not get a chance to get back on again until sunday evening or monday.

I don't think I need any equipment, besides maybe one of those potions, but I tend to stay towards the back of the group and attack from a distance, so one of our front-line fighters could probably make better use of them.
I have a couple options in maneuvers, which is the last thing I have to decide before I'm done leveling up.

A) I can't decide whether my new maneuver should be Command or Menacing Attack - command would let us set up some nice sneak attack damage, but Menacing Attack could make an enemy frightened for one round as well as give me a little damage boost. Basically, deal more damage, or nerf a bad guy for a round?

B) I can't decide whether to keep Distracting Strike, or replace it with Trip Attack. Distracting strike requires no save, but only lasts through one attack. Trip Attack requires a DC 14 strength saving throw, which isn't super high, but it lasts as long as the enemy is prone, potentially letting multiple people attack it with advantage. Basically, guaranteed advantage on one attack, or the chance of advantage for the whole party while nerfing the bad guy?
Jan 11, 2017 11:49 pm
Since you're going to be busy, here's a minor spoiler...

BullOctorok sent a note to thedandyman
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.