May 18th 3051: Aboard the Jumpship Columbus

Dec 6, 2016 12:00 pm
The ship's clock had been set to that of New Avalon's capital. It was early morning, barely after 00:00, but the ship's crew had planned it this way. Jumps weren't pleasant even for the most hardy, but those who suffered from TDS, which surely some of the passengers did, always had a rough time of hyperspace jumps. Setting the clock to New Avalon time before the jump had meant that everyone would be asleep when the jump was made, everyone but essential crew of course. All of the passengers and most of the crew would awaken in New Avalon space never even knowing the jump had been made.

Leslie, being a commissioned officer in New Avalon's fleet, would have no such luxury. Until recently she had been stationed aboard a space station orbiting Bristol. It was a dull assignment far from combat and filled with a tedious life on base. She can only imagine this inactive assignment has come from her recently inherited dependent, yet another thing to blame her for. Of course Leslie has responsibility on base, but teaching cadets the ropes wasn't what she had signed on for. Thing only changed about a month and half ago when she received orders to board the jumpship Columbus during its recharge at Bristol's nadir point and come to New Avalon. Leslie had never been to the capital before, though she did train at Armstrong Flight Academy on Galax which was the next best thing. Being called to New Avalon usually meant promotions or important assignments, but they instructed her to take her sister with her and so she could not imagine what kind of assignment she would be getting. She would find out soon enough.

While everyone else was afforded the luxury of sleep Leslie was up and in full dress uniform. Her hair was pinned tightly in a bun, her jacket and skirt perfectly pressed and wrinkle free. She took a lot of pride her appearance and has never failed a uniform inspection. She floated down the hallway of the ship using the handholds as both a guide and method of locomotion. At this time the ship's jumpsail was likely at full deploy and with everyone sleeping all lights and non-essential power consuming objects were dimmed or shutdown. The ship was able to recharge faster when less energy was used by other systems. Leslie was quite comfortable in zero-G, she spent much of her youth aboard her parents' ship and much of her adult life in a cockpit or aboard warships/space stations. She effortlessly guided herself to the ladder that led down to the grav-deck without a strand of hair out of place. It had been a while since she had any scheduled time on the grav-deck during the 5 jump journey from Bristol. It felt good to once again have the weight of gravity on her, even if the centrifugal force of the grav-deck felt somewhat unnatural and took a moment to adjust to.

The grav-deck was largely empty, save a maintenance worker or off duty crew members using the recreation area. It was strange to be walking again and it took Leslie a few clumsy steps to adjust to gravity and the small heels on her dress shoes. The emptiness of the grav-deck stole all sense of stealth from her as her shoes clanged audibly against the metal walkway and echoed about the entire grav-deck. She walked a bit of a way until reaching the cafe, it was a small eatery in the center of the grav-deck with ample seating, good food, and a massive window that looked out toward the planet below. Leslie could see that even at this time other jumpships were recharging near New Avalon and the hustle and bustle of dropships could be seen throughout the area. New Avalon was a beautiful blue world and beholding it from here was an awe inspiring sight. She reached into her skirt pocket and pulled out a small envelop. It was the orders she had receive just yesterday before the jump. "Come to the cafe at 01:00, we willing be transferring by dropship no later than 03:00." The paper had all of the official markings that indicated it was official orders but it was an odd instruction, with limited information, and no indication of whom she would be meeting. She was early as usual, and little did she know four other FedCom soldiers had received the same orders and were likely getting ready to come to this meeting at that very moment.
Dec 6, 2016 2:11 pm
I love my dress uniform. I do. I do wish they'd give us slacks for the zero-g turnovers though. I miss my flight suit. Now then, where in the blazes is the person I'm meant to be meeting here? Person? People? Why can't anyone develop a proper plan. She glanced around, looking for a table that would afford her a view of the entrance to the cafe as well as the planet below.
OOC:
Azzorak: A note on skirts in space. A lot of formal clothing (at least those made for those who travel in space frequently) is made stiffer than 21st century clothing by utilizing a flexible plastic mesh of sorts woven into the material. This is not visible but would prevent a skirt from wildly floating about in space. The skirts for a dress uniform are also knee length or longer and fairly form fitting, so even though slacks would be even better a skirt is viable as formal wear in zero-g. It also probably acceptable to wear a form of leggings underneath when in zero-g
Dec 6, 2016 3:26 pm
"Leftenant Black," a somewhat warm but simultaneously commanding voice called out from the outskirts of the seating area. Leslie was just sitting at the table she had deemed satisfactory when he arrived. In fact she realized shortly after that she heard his footsteps approaching, but had disregarded as being one of the few others on the Grav-deck.

"Early and impeccably dressed, despite the challenges of microgravity. Given your service record I expected no less. I must say its a pleasure to see another Naval officer, I grow weary of the hotshot mechjocks I have been surrounded by recently. I am Captain Kevin Bardon, allow me to welcome you personally to New Avalon, I arrived here by dropship just after the emergence signature was detected, I was aboard the jumpship over yonder," Captain Bardon gestured to the ship charging its K-F Drive nearby.
Dec 6, 2016 3:33 pm
Captain Bardon, it's a pleasure to meet you. I have to agree, the camaraderie of Naval life aboard ship is something I've grown to miss. I fully believe our cadets need the best education. I just wasn't aware that meant I had to leave the line. Leslie said as she rose from her seat to a more formal pose. I appreciate the welcome, my first trip to New Avalon. Your ship is a beauty, that's for sure. Nice lines. Her voice held the joviality due to another Naval officer.
OOC:
Totally understood about the changes to skirt technology in a zero-g world. She'd still chafe at it, given her time in (and preference for) a cockpit and a flight suit. :)
Last edited December 6, 2016 3:35 pm
Dec 6, 2016 4:07 pm
OOC:
Sounds reasonable, just putting it out there
Captain Bardon smiled at the display of protocol, "At ease, leftenant, lets make this a comfortable meeting. Rather unfortunate that your first trip to our beautiful world will be so short, but the First Prince insists this assignment be underway with utmost haste. This assignment was completely his doing and everyone assigned to it was handpicked. That brings me to the ship over there, I realize it a bit distant but it is no warship, nor is it mine. It is a jumpship owned by The Galactic Prospector's Institute, but on our dime." As he spoke he had crossed the room and sat in the chair opposite Leslie. "Hopefully the others will arrive soon, but being mechjocks they lack the discipline of more cultured warriors like ourselves. Would you like a cup of coffee or some breakfast in the meanwhile?"
Dec 6, 2016 4:11 pm
Coffee would be lovely. Black, one sugar? she said with a smile, happy to get the caffeine into her system. So long as the mechjocks are in their rigs when drop time spins up, I try to stay out of their timetables. It just gives me an ulcer otherwise. Plus, typically when they drop, I'm in my Sparrowhawk, trying to keep them alive. Leslie ran though her knuckles, giving them all a small crack, a nervous tick she had since she was a child in the ready room, waiting on her parents to get back from some mission or the other.
Dec 6, 2016 4:29 pm
Captain Bardon excuses himself from the table and walks over to the counter. He exchanges words with the weary looking barista and looks back toward Leslie with a smile. A few moments later he returns with the hot cup of coffee which he sets before her. He also sets a cup of tea in front of himself as he sits back down. "What have you been told of this assignment?" The captain asked before sipping at his tea.
Dec 6, 2016 4:41 pm
Honestly sir, next to nothing. I was told to rotate to New Avalon. Then, just before the jump, I was given orders to report here at 0100 local. I have my sister with me as a charge, and wasn't told to leave her with anyone else, so my assumption would be nothing exceedingly hot, but the mysteries of the grand machines of Admiralty and Command never cease to amaze me. she said as she blew on the steaming cup of coffee. She took a sip, sucking in slightly as the scalding liquid cascaded over her lip. She closed her eyes slightly, letting the smell take her back to her youth.
Dec 6, 2016 7:30 pm
Captain Bardon sipped at his tea and watched the woman over the top of his cup as she spoke. He set his cup down as she finished and smiled a reassuring smile. "Typical lack of information, but its probably for good reason this time. I hear this is somewhat of a covert assignment, not something the Prince would want anyone discussing until you are alone on your ship and away from New Avalon. From what I hear its a bit of a babysitting mission, should be safe enough for the little one, but this is a big opportunity for you none the less. If what I hear is true you are the only commissioned officer assigned to this. We will know a bit more once aboard and I will share more of what I know once everyone else arrives."
Dec 6, 2016 9:37 pm
Isaac looks at the clock from the desk he is sitting at. Almost time. He was lucky enough to be given a room to himself, but couldn't fall asleep. So he started to draw, a hobby his father had instilled into him when he was still his slave. "A man cannot be a killer alone Isaac. You need to create things too. Art is what separates us from the beasts!" he can remember the old man saying. Master Torney was certainly an eccentric man, and that is perhaps what led to Isaac's adoption in the first place. Nontheless Isaac sighs and stands. He has had a hard time falling asleep in a new place for as long as he could remember. It didn't matter if it was a safe, comfortable room or a damp, cold bunker. Years of constant warfare makes a man paranoid.

He packs up his drawing things into a satchel that he carries with him at all times, something he calls his "emergency bag". He learned that if things got bad quickly, you may only be able to escape with what is on you. The things he could not bare with losing, he keeps in it. Then he dons the clothes his father sent him with. They are far from practical, and Isaac did not feel comfortable in the thick jacket with the family crest on the collar. He considered not wearing the scarlet sash, but decided he might as well. He hadn't ever worn such nice clothes, but he was representing his family so he does what he has to.

Once adorned he heads to where he was told to meet: the cafe at 1 am. Embarrassingly, he has a great deal of difficulty managing the low gravity once he actually tries to move about the ship, and he becomes tardy. When he finally does approach, he is met with a woman and a man, both obvious military types. He nods to them both and sits with them.
Last edited December 6, 2016 9:37 pm
Dec 7, 2016 1:32 am
Nate had just finished his latest letter home, signing it and sealing the envelope. The whole presentation was very anachronistic, he knew, but at the same time he felt that it added a personal touch. When he got the chance to drop it off at the next ComStar station it would, as normal, be accompanied by a transfer of a third of his salary. And if this job goes half as well as promised, there’s going to be a lot more.

He glanced at the clock, noting the time. Standing up, Nate quietly left his berth, carrying all the goods he’d bought with him in a small backpack. He was dressed in a simple, functional jumpsuit; not the most flashy thing, but certainly practical for wear on board a dropship. Even then, he was less than fully comfortable as he half swam, half-stumbled through the microgravity environment. Zero-G training had been a luxury that he couldn’t afford.

Nate reached the café on time, noting the others already present. One man, older, greying and with an impeccable military posture. A woman in a trim dress uniform. Another man, dressed with an almost foppish jacket and sash, far from practical. He nodded to them no less, offering his name as he approached.
Last edited December 7, 2016 1:33 am
Dec 7, 2016 2:00 am
Leslie's eyes flicked over the Captain's shoulder as she heard footsteps on the grav deck.

Welcome, good of you to join us. Leftenant Leslie Black. she offered, as she greeted the gentleman with the sash. When the other man, in the simple jumpsuit with a backpack, made his way to them, she repeated her greeting.

I highly recommend some coffee from the cafe. Strong and fragrant.
Dec 7, 2016 4:39 am
Roman was coming from the mechbay. This was no secret due to the dark grease marks on his fingers, the smudge he'd missed on his cheek, and the dark grease stain on his white shirt. It had taken some doing to be allowed in the bay, but Roman was intent on getting to spend as much time on his Riverwolf as possible; he couldn't trust these military zombies and their technical manuals with its sole care. Not that he was competent enough to do any heavy work on it, but Roman was intent on at least making sure that they were doing it right; He knew what looked right and proper on his mech, and he'd raise some hell if something looked otherwise.

Hopefully the young petty officer wouldn't get into any trouble for letting him through. It took all of his charm to convince her to let him in and get access to his mech so close to it being transferred to another vessel. Of course, everything seemed to be in tip-top shape, so his inspection only took a couple hours. He thanked her on his way out, noticing that he was already late for this strange, vague meeting. Moving through zero-g wasn't an entirely new experience for him. He'd traveled from planet-to-planet enough to know how to traverse some corridors without crashing into a wall or looking ridiculous.

Roman arrives at the cafe not-so-fashionably late. He is wearing a jumpsuit that features the Solaris VII games logo, as well as a few of his old sponsors - Steiner-affiliated aerospace and defense industries, mostly - along with a pair of black boots that thud on the ground with every step. His jumpsuit is unzipped down to the waist, leaving his torso covered only by the shirt with the grease smudges, and the top-half of the suit is tied off around his waist. As he approaches, he removes his gloves and folds them into his back pocket. He clicks his tongue as he spots the others he's meeting with, specifically noting their fresh and clean garments. Looking out of place isn't what he had intended, but it also isn't something that bothers him. "Roman Metzger," he says, having arrived in time to hear introductions being made, "I'm not the only civilian on this detail, am I?"
OOC:
Hoping everything I've said fits so far. Also, I know Roman's conscripted, but he'd insist that he's still a civilian who's just 'lending his services voluntarily.'
Last edited December 7, 2016 5:59 pm
Dec 7, 2016 11:08 am
OOC:
Your post looks great MoMo, everything fits fine, Solaris VII is the only correction
Captain Bardon turned a little in his seat to look over his shoulder as the others approached. They all managed to show up about the same time, literally only seconds apart and while they weren't really late they failed to make the impression that Leslie did. Isaac had been the first to arrive and Bardon motioned to rise and introduce himself, but the young man had sat himself down so fast the captain never had the opportunity. As he opened his mouth to say something the others arrived and began making their introductions, he eyed them all in shock as they made their exchanges with Leslie. Finally he rose and shook each of the men's hand as he introduced himself. Despite wanting the meeting to be somewhat informal, as he had expressed to Leslie, he still expected salutes and proper protocol.

With introduction behind them Captain Bardon sat down again as the new comers did. As he adjusted his chair and turned back to his tea he shot Leslie a look that all at once said, "See what I mean about mechjocks," and "better you than me." Following this he turned a rather puzzled look toward Roman and said, "What do you mean civilian? There are many civilians on this assignment, but you are not one of them."
Dec 7, 2016 1:51 pm
Wonderful. Not only do we get mechjocks, we get a sporter. Thinks he's a pure civilian. I don't envy the person tagged to lead this particular gaggle of misfits in a lance. At least by the looks of him, this newest one will stay down in the mech bays.

I am a bit surprised, Mr. Metzger. I must confess. I would have thought that an order missive would have inspired you to at least wear clean clothing. Leslie says, with a hint of a smile over the edge of her coffee cup but a tone as cold as the void outside the windows.
Dec 7, 2016 4:57 pm
Isaac wordlessly gets up and gets himself coffee. He mixes an absurd amount of sugar and creamer in before drinking it. "What is this about?" He asks Bardon, in a cool, quiet tone.
Dec 7, 2016 6:35 pm
"You know what I mean, man. Sir." Roman replies to the Captain, very nearly forgetting to correct himself. "No matter how you try to dress me," he presses some fingers over his heart and grins mischievously, "I'm a civilian at heart, right?" Roman steps up a bit closer and takes a seat with everyone else.

He laughs at Leslie's remark, in a way that suggests he enjoys the friendly bit of pressure, and that he's comfortable with the cold tone. In response he holds up three fingers and one-by-one counts them down, "Well, Miss.. Ma'am.. for one, I've been working, which is more than a lot on this boat could say. Two, if I'm trying to make a good first impression, what's more impressive than this," Roman holds his hands out to the side as though presenting himself and, specifically, the Solaris VII logo. "And three, the orders didn't say to dress nice, so I'm not disobeying them." He waggles his brow. It was all too obvious that he'd thought about this already, even if dressing appropriately for a given task was always implicit. He turns in his seat to be facing the Captain, ready to get this going.
Dec 8, 2016 1:14 am
All things being equal, Nate was beginning to feel a little under-dressed for the occasion. Still, these were, apparently, the people who he'd be working with, and the last thing he needed to do was make things difficult straight off the bat. "Morning all," he offered to the group. "Nate Preston, one of the MechWarriors. I guess we're all here for the same thing, right?"
Dec 8, 2016 11:22 am
Having thoroughly checked to make sure the mech is secure in the bay, Nathaniel "Nathan" Stewart sinks down into the seat in the cockpit of his Centurion, feeling the tension build in his body and his heart rate quicken, his mind involuntarily plays back brief images, flashes of memory. Much of what happened on that day is still a mystery to him, unconscious for long periods and in agony for the rest of the time, he simply can't remember. All he knows is that now, simply climbing into the cockpit of his mech, always one of his favourite places to be, causes a tightness in his chest that makes it hard to breath.

After what seems like hours, but is probably only minutes, he simply can't take it anymore. He reach into his chest pocket and pulls out a single pill, palming it, he throws it into his mouth as he tilts his head back, dry swallowing the small white tablet.

After a while the tension eases from his body, a calmness descend over his mind where previously there had been panic.

As Nathan's mind clears, a thought occurs to him. He looks at his watch, Holy shit! I am late. He squeeze his way out of the cockpit, and rapidly descent the exterior of his mech with practiced ease. He rushes to the meeting his orders hold told him to report to.

Nathan rushes into the Cafe, readjusting his uniform to make sure everything is in place. Noting the fact that there is already 5 people in the cafe he heads over to the group. Scanning the group, he notes that the Captain is the ranking officers, he salutes Sergeant Nathaniel Stewart reporting as ordered sir, apologies for arriving late sir, I was addressing a......problem in the cockpit of my mech
Last edited December 8, 2016 11:48 am
Dec 9, 2016 12:32 am
Interesting. A sergeant that can't be arsed to show up on time. Now I've seen it all. I can appreciate having your gear in good working order as well as the next operator, but good gods. Ah well, I suppose I should be happy this one is at least in proper uniform for the meeting. Lord only knows I'd prefer to be in my flight suit. Now, if the good Captain would only let us know if this is everyone he's expecting for this gathering and give me my orders so I can be about it. I have to still get back to Jules and let her know that we're going somewhere else. Once again. If I didn't have her around, I could pick up any of the action runs. Inwardly, Leslie sighs, her thoughts running rampant, as they often did when she found herself sitting still.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.