Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
May 19, 2015 10:05 pm
"Damn! I've slept better in jails than in this place..."

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 19, 2015 10:13 pm
Leth was thoroughly miserable. Not only had they watched a friend be executed, but they had been rained on all day, attacked twice, learned they would keep being hunted for the foreseeable future, and now he couldn't even get a fire going to warm them up or dry their clothes. He gave up trying to light a fire. He glanced over at the group and if the occasional movement was any indication, it seemed as though no one was getting any rest either.

They might be on a mission to seek justice for their dead friend, but at the moment, all Leth wanted was a warm, dry bed, and a long night's sleep.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

May 20, 2015 7:10 am
The image of his tinder box, left behind in Sthombo, spins in Felor's mind endlessly through the cold, wet night. He shakes his head, irritated he came out into the backcountry unprepared.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

May 20, 2015 3:47 pm
Just as the faint grunts of the freshly, unquietly asleep start coming out of Vad, Leth jerks his head up at the unmistakable sound of something moving through the wet brush to the northeast. He looks over at Felor, whose head is already turned in the direction of the sound: he hears it too.
May 20, 2015 8:03 pm
Oh, come on... what is it this time?
Leth grabbed his bow and moved quietly over to Felor.
"You hear that? It could be nothing.... maybe an animal. Could be someone harmless. Or... it could be our friend who got away earlier, with reinforcements."
He glanced over at Vad, whose soft snores were just beginning.
"Should we wake him up? Or should we investigate first?"
Last edited May 20, 2015 9:41 pm
May 21, 2015 12:11 am
Felor's eyes dart over to Vad and back to Leth. "No time," he hisses back. "You go out that door," he nods to the west end of the building, "I'll go out the other end and draw its attention. Should let you get a clear shot, if the situation warrants."
With that, Felor creeps towards the door at the east end, shield and spear at the ready, and ears pricked for any clues as to what is approaching.

Assuming Leth and Felor were roughly in the middle of the longhouse so will emerge at about the same time.
Nature check, can I tell if what's approaching is a biped or quadruped?
Also, can I take the lack of sleep to mean that we haven't officially rested and regained spell slots?

Rolls

Nature skill check - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

May 21, 2015 3:58 am
"But if he's snoring, they'll hear-" Leth started, but Felor was already moving towards the door. Leth sighed.
"Or not." Maybe they'll hear him snoring and think we're all asleep? That'll give us the element of surprise. He thought as he moved towards the west end. Leth cautiously peered around the outside of the door frame, hoping to maybe catch a glimpse of what was approaching, or maybe hear it better as to figure out what it might be.

No idea what sort of check(s)? you might want me to do.
May 21, 2015 3:56 pm
Looking out, Felor can easily see two figures silhouetted in the glow of the hooded lamp one of them carries, about forty yards from the northeast corner of the longhouse. Heavy raincloaks obscure any hint of their identities. They seem to be walking east, away from you.

No spells/HP regained yet.
May 21, 2015 10:03 pm
Leth couldn't make out anything in the darkness. He pulled his head back into the building and whispered as loudly as he dared across the room to Felor, "I don't see anything... how about you?"
May 22, 2015 7:45 am
Watching from the doorway, Felor sees the figures heading away from the longhouse, seemingly unaware of the party. Perhaps they were just passing by? Hearing Leth's whispered question, he holds up a hand to tell him to wait. At this point it's probably best to let them go on their way, he thinks to himself. No use stirring up trouble in the middle of the night with one of us asleep. Nevertheless, he stays watching from the shadows until the figures vanish into the forest.
May 22, 2015 3:46 pm
Observing for a moment, Felor can see that the one carrying the lantern is considerably shorter than the other, who holds a heavy bundle at the waist. Wherever they're going, they aren't on any path or trail.
May 25, 2015 2:21 am
Is the party in agreement to let them go on their way?
May 25, 2015 3:16 am
I mean, I'd like to see where they're going, but Leth doesn't even know Felor has seen anything at this point.
May 25, 2015 12:01 pm
Sorry, had a weekend away from home. Will post something tonight.
May 27, 2015 8:02 am
Despite Felor's initial instinct to leave the men be, it occurs to him that it can't be coincidence that someone would be passing by, could it? Way out here, off the beaten track... They'd seen no locals at all in the area, they all seem to have fled after Kells' arrest and the justicars ransacked the village. Maybe it was worth investigating who these people were...

Felor had spent many years living in the wilderness and had known a few rangers in his time. He quickly makes the ranger hand-signals to Leth for two, men, headed east, 40 yards, follow?, hoping that the rangers of Bload understand the mainlander's signals.

Sorry again for the delay, had a crazy few days.
Last edited May 27, 2015 8:03 am
May 28, 2015 8:09 pm
Leth got the gist of the message, and nodded his head. He pointed to Vad with a questioning look, as if to ask once again, should we wake him?
May 29, 2015 12:05 pm
Felor looked back and forth between the slumbering Vad, and the men who were about to vanish into the forest.
Go! he signalled, then moved back from the doorway to wake Vad while Leth started tracking the interlopers.
He crouched down and gently shook Vad's shoulder, whispering "Vad! Wake up and keep quiet".
load next

Thread locked