Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Jun 1, 2015 7:14 pm
Persuasion!

Rolls

Persuation skill check - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 1, 2015 7:29 pm
"Even if I was sure you meant us no harm -- and I'm not -- I'm not sure that'd be a good idea. Don't know how she'd take it. She's set in her ways. Still getting her used to Clephus coming along with me." She thumps the taller figure behind her on the chest.

"I don't think she's scared of me no more, grandma," he says.

"Well, now she's not! She was scared of me, when I first started doing the rites!"
Jun 1, 2015 9:55 pm
BullOctorok says:
That's a tall order for Prestidigitation.
OOC: Should have worded more along the lines of - Will create crashing sounds that mimic swearing dear running through the forest.
Jun 2, 2015 12:12 am
"Aye, well, perhaps not then. I wouldn't want to interfere. But before you go, do you know of a place called Ogrespate?"
Jun 2, 2015 5:04 am
Leth, who had cringed when Felor collapsed on the rotten log, was slightly relieved to find that these were innocent people who were not out to kill them. Still, something about this situation seemed odd - it was awfully late for them to be out and about. Unsure of whether the two strangers had noticed him, Leth slowly walked up beside Felor as he asked his questions, all arrows now stowed away and his bow slung safely over his shoulder.

"You'll have to forgive our suspicion - we've been attacked by complete strangers twice today, for reasons we still don't understand. It's very late for anyone to be wandering through the woods at night, and I was afraid we were in for a third attack. I am glad to see otherwise." Here he paused. "Though... surely you know that the wild night of Bload is not a safe place? There's safety in numbers; perhaps we could come along with you to be sure you reach your destination safely. We weren't getting much sleep anyway."

Leth knew this was a bit of a gamble; if these two really had nothing to do with any of the situation revolving around Kells, following them would be a great waste of time... he wasn't particularly concerned with the well-being of two strangers, but he couldn't shake the feeling that there was more going on here than meets the eye, so it might be worth seeing where they were going.

Not trying to interrupt Felor here - Leth would wait for Felor's line of questions to be resolved before injecting his own questions. I just wanted to make sure I got Leth got the chance to say what was on his mind before things moved on.

Rolls

Persuasion, just in case that's still an option - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Jun 2, 2015 4:04 pm
In response to Felor:

"Ogrespate? It's no place around here, I can tell you that for certain. Else I would know it."

"She might know of it," the grandson suggests.

"Nonsense. I wager you've seen more of the world than she did, boy."

"But--"

She cuts him off with a sharp hand gesture.
Jun 2, 2015 4:07 pm
In response to Leth:

"Attacked? By who? Brigands? Out here? What became of them?"
Jun 2, 2015 9:43 pm
Vad wanders up to the group and listens in on the conversation. He'll take the time to give the travelers a thorough looking over.

Rolls

Perception [For the hell of it] - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 2, 2015 10:58 pm
Both individuals are wearing roughspun cloaks with hoods that partly cover their faces, but you can see enough to tell that they appear to be who they present themselves as. The woman with the lantern is about five feet tall and most likely in her fifties; the youth is nearly six feet, with a broad beardless face. He holds a satchel at his waist, and from the way he carries it, it seems to contain something heavy.
Jun 4, 2015 5:22 am
Oh, way to go Leth. 'What happened to the brigands?' 'Ah well no big deal, we just killed them all.' Stupid, stupid, stupid. Leth mentally berated himself as he tried to figure out a way to dodge the question. Knowing how well-loved Kells had been, and assuming these people were from around here, Kell's old town, and probably remembered him fondly, Leth figured it would be worth a shot to associate themselves with their late mayor.

"Not ordinary brigands, I don't think. We were all friends to Kells - may the Gods watch over him - and I think they thought we might have had something to do with the missing Sphere. Where they would get that idea, I don't know. We've managed to avoid being captured thus far, but I'm afraid they will keep coming after us... which is why we need as much help as we can get right now. If you can't help us, that's quite all right... but it sounds like this Oak's Wife might just be able to give us some assistance, if you'd permit us to come along. For Kell's sake, I believe this situation needs to be resolved, and his name cleared. If that would be too uncomfortable for you, we won't push the matter any further, and we'll be on our way."
Jun 4, 2015 8:45 am
Felor listens to Leth, hoping that the strangers are only denying knowing Kells out of fear of the justicars. After Leth finishes, Felor adds: "Is there any way we can pay tribute to the Oak's Wife, perhaps to assuage her fear? An offering or somesuch?"
Jun 4, 2015 4:04 pm
The woman visibly stiffens at the mention of the Sphere.

"I--I don't know if that would be wise," she says. "We have all the offerings she needs right here in this satchel. You're liable to frighten her. And we don't want her frightened. And I and Clephus, we want no part of these goings-on. Better to just let the matter rest. The gods will clear Kells' name--if it needs clearing!"

"Grandma," Clephus says, "I think it'd be okay. she likes to prophesy."

The old woman hisses under her breath to shush him. She looks back at Leth and Felor. "It's not prophesy. She doesn't prophesy. I doubt she could help you, but if you insist on coming along, I'm powerless to stop you, and if I have the hour correct, we'd best hurry."
Jun 4, 2015 4:50 pm
"Thank you. Thank you so much." Leth said to the woman, and then turned to Felor.

"As much as I hate to split us up... this does seem like a delicate situation." He said quietly. "I think it would be best if only one of us went along, while the rest of us went back to camp to watch our things and try to get some rest. Don't want to overwhelm them. And I think if one of us has to go, it should be you... Being a cleric and all. You'd probably have a better idea of how to handle this than we would."
Jun 4, 2015 10:17 pm
Felor replies at a low volume, "Aye, that makes sense. I'm honestly not sure what to expect, but these folk are clearly our best lead. Did you notice how the woman reacted when you mentioned the Sphere? Anyway, I'll see what I can find out either from them, or this 'Oak's Wife'".
Felor turns to the strangers.
"We thank you for this honour. No need for us all to intrude, my friends here will return to our camp and I'll come along with you folk."
Jun 4, 2015 10:48 pm
Not noticing any thing in particular that would cause him to mistrust the strangers Vad leans in towards Felor. "Careful, friend. You know where we should be, but if we have to leave we'll leave you some sort of sign as to which way we went."
Jun 4, 2015 11:30 pm
"Come on, then," the woman says, beckoning Felor to follow. After a few moments making your way through thick, wet brush, the path opens up to a stand of tall slender broadleaves and clear footing. "We will be upon her soon. Stand back and remain behind Clephus. If she is in a foul temper, we will give her her oil and wine and leave. If she is in a talkative mood..." the woman shrugs. "Now, be sure you express no shock or revulsion when you see her. She is still vain, the poor thing, and forgets herself often."
Jun 5, 2015 9:45 am
Felor follows the woman into the clearing, making sure to follow her advice and stay behind Clephus. As she explains about the Oak's Wife, Felor makes a silent prayer to Fjorgyn - Guide me, great one. Lend me your wisdom for the events to come.

"Cast Guidance on myself (assuming I can do that? Still a little rusty on spellcasting).
Jun 5, 2015 5:40 pm
Felor receives Fjorgyn's guidance.

A short walk later, the woman stops about ten yards away from a massive oak, its wide trunk scarred and gnarled and so dark it seems to devour the lantern light. Two thick roots jut out and curve together around a depression in front of it, forming a sort of basin.

Clephus sets his satchel down and removes two clay jugs and a bundle of sticks and dried herbs tied together at both ends, which he hands to his grandmother, exchanging it for the lantern. She lights one end of it in the lantern's flame, then blows it out, sheltering the smoldering tip from stray raindrops with her other hand. Slowly, she approaches the tree, gently waving and blowing on the bundle to waft fragrant smoke ahead of her.

"Little bride! Your friends are here," she says. "We have brought you supper and our company. Come out, come out, please."

Nothing happens. She keeps blowing and waving the smoke toward the tree.
Jun 7, 2015 4:18 pm
Felor watches the ritual with great interest. He is something of a scholar of nature-based deities and religions, but this one was new to him.
Jun 7, 2015 4:37 pm
Leth watched Felor follow the two of them further into the woods before turning back around and heading back to the longhouse.

"Well Vad," Leth said as they walked , "do you want to go back to sleep or do you want to take up the watch?"
load next

Thread locked