Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Jun 7, 2015 5:23 pm
"I'll take up the watch for a while, not much in the mood for sleeping."
Jun 8, 2015 4:33 pm
Suddenly, a faintly luminous amber figure steps out from the bole of the tree.

It's fuzzy and indistinct at first, as it leans what would be its head down toward the smoke. It begins to come into focus, the glowing fuzz coalescing into the clear shape of a human body: a young woman, her long hair in braids, wearing dozens of anklets, bracelets, belts, and necklaces beaded with acorns, leaves, and oak galls.

When the shade straightens herself up you can see the horizontal gash in her neck and the cross-shaped pattern of stab wounds in her abdomen.

"I'm thirsty," she whispers. "Did you bring me wine?"

"Yes, my lady," the old woman says. "Clephus has your wine. Do you remember Clephus, my grandson?"

The shade nods. The old woman beckons Clephus forward, then shoots a quick glance back at Felor and gestures for him to stay put. Clephus approaches slowly with the jugs, removes the stopper from one of them, and pours it out at the shade's feet, into the earthen basin at the roots of the tree.

The shade makes a sour face. "Nettle wine."

"That is all we have, my lady. Are you hungry?"

"I suppose."

Clephus pours out the other jug.

Any thoughts or reactions from Felor at this point?
Jun 10, 2015 8:24 am
Felor watches silently, intrigued by this... spirit? Nymph? He racks his brains for any similar legends or myths that he's heard of previously.

Religion skill check
Edit: may as well add my Guidance roll (*sigh*)
Last edited June 10, 2015 8:25 am

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Guidance (add to previous skill check) - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Jun 10, 2015 4:44 pm
This is all quite new and strange to Felor.

"Thank you," the shade says as the oil seeps into the earth. "You may go now. I'm tired. Beetles assail my husband and it exhausts me to seek out and burn their little souls one by one. I suppose you cannot possibly fathom the immensity of my responsibilities. I must rest."

"Good mistress," Clephus says, as his grandmother shoots him a death glare, "spare us another moment of your time? We have brought someone who wishes to meet you. A traveller in these woods."

The shade immediately looks up at Felor, seeming to notice him for the first time. Her spectral eyes widen. "Who is he? Why have you brought him here?"

"My apologies, my lady," the old woman says. "We will remove him from your--"

"No! I would hear him explain himself. Who are you? What business do you have in my husband's wood!?"
Jun 10, 2015 9:39 pm
~ MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE LONGHOUSE ~

It's wet and cold and a large and surprisingly loud owl seems to have taken offense to Vad and Felor's presence, as he flits from one end of the ruin to the other, hooting indignantly.
Jun 10, 2015 10:30 pm
Vad, having had a rough day as it is, lifts his right arm towards the horrid beast (I mean, owl), and will try and hit it with a ray of frost.

Rolls

Ranged Cantrip Attack - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Jun 11, 2015 8:37 am
Felor freezes for a second, suddenly unsure of what to say.
"My lady, I am Felor, humble cleric of Fjorgyn. I am... on a quest for justice. I wish restore the honour of my deceased friend, a man called Kells. He was wrongly executed for a crime he did not commit. To that end, I seek both his daughter, who has vanished, possibly to a place called Ogrespate, and a mysterious object known as the sphere of Sthombo."
Jun 11, 2015 4:00 pm
The ray of frost misses by a considerable margin, but succeeds in offending the owl enough that it leaves.
Jun 11, 2015 4:24 pm
The shade looks displeased. "I know nothing of this man, or ogre's pates, or the wicked city of Sthombo. Why did you come to me?"

"Good mistress," Clephus says hesitantly, "you -- you have visions. I thought perhaps you might --"

"Why?" she demands. "Why should I? When beetles are eating my husband alive and you bring me only nettle wine and bland oil? Why should I cast out my sight for this stranger you bring into my woods?"

"I'm so sorry, my lady!" the old woman says. "My grandson, he -- he's impulsive and foolish. Forgive us. We have made a foolish mistake and offended you. We go now."

"Is this all I am to you now? A cheap and tawdry oracle?"

"No, please! We will go to town and buy honeyed wine for you. We will never bring another stranger before you again. I promise. Please, forgive us!"

The shade sighs heavily. "What's done is done. I should have known it would come to this, that your generosity was not freely offered out of love. Of course you want something of me! Such is my lot, always to serve, ever put upon." She faces Felor again and narrows her eyes. "Two questions you may ask of me, stranger, and I will answer them as true as I can."

Clephus has taken several steps back in a cringing posture, his head hanging low. The old woman seems genuinely frightened.
Jun 12, 2015 7:34 pm
Leth raised an eyebrow at Vad as he shot at the Owl, but didn't object. He was too tired.

"First thing tomorrow, we are going back to Sthombo for our gear... and a hot meal in a soft bed." Leth grumbled, mostly to himself. Whether or not that would actually happen remained to be seen, but at the moment, that was all he wanted. So saying, he laid down on the dirt floor of the longhouse and tried to get some sleep.
Last edited June 12, 2015 7:34 pm
Jun 16, 2015 12:04 pm
Felor's stomach drops as the spirit berates its worshippers. He would have to make good this situation before he leaves. But the more pressing matter at hand was that the spirit was offering him... visions? The boy implied she could prophesize. But what should he ask? She had already professed no knowledge of Ogrespate, Kells, or the sphere.

"My lady, I thank you for, and am honoured by, your assistance. But please do not be angered by your humble followers, it was not their idea that I accompany them."
Felor removes the scallop shell with Zora's portrait, and the knife taken from the man killed outside the longhouse, from his pack.
"I would ask you these things:
Do you know the meaning of a six-pointed crown symbol?" He shows the spirit the knife's pommel.
"And do you know where we might find Zora Kells? I have an image of her, here," he continues, and shows the spirit the shell.
Jun 16, 2015 5:06 pm
The shade approaches Felor, and seems to examine the knife and shell intently for some moments. Then her eyes grow fiercely bright, and her form becomes fuzzy and indistinct again, flickering and pulsing like a candle flame in a draft.

For several long minutes she remains this way. Clephus and his grandmother exchange nervous side-eyed glances.

Then the shade's eyes dim, and she coalesces back into focus.

"The Six-Pronged Crown is the symbol of the witch-men I have seen roaming these woods. Each prong represents a tenet of the pact they made with their patron. That is the meaning of the symbol. And Zora Kells is camped on the banks of the Ophid River. That is where you might find her. I have seen my sight and spoken true. I will return to attend my husband, now."

The shade steps back into the bole of the oak and turns toward it, sinking and fading into the wood.

"Gods help us if she's in a mood now," the old woman grumbles. "That better have been worth the trouble."
Jun 16, 2015 5:24 pm
Felor almost can't believe how much information he's gleamed from the spirit. To think he almost ignored these strangers.
"Thank you, gentlefolk. It has been of great help. Here, take this and buy the Oak's Wife the best wines and oils you can."

With that, he hurries back to the longhouse.

I give the strangers some money out of what we looted from the dead guy, enough for some good quality wine and oil.
Jun 16, 2015 5:37 pm
Felor returns to the longhouse, where Leth is lying half-asleep and Vad sits watch. A beard of frost hangs incongruously from a branch overhead.
Jun 17, 2015 1:54 pm
Felor nods to Vad as he enters the longhouse, briefly frowns at the unexpected curtain of ice on the overhead branch, and sits down near Leth.
"Well, that was quite a thing. They took me to see some forest spirit, or nymph, or something, which wasn't best pleased that I was there, to say the least. Nonetheless, it was able to... divine some answers to my questions, namely: The six-pronged crown is the symbol of some "witch-men" she has seen hereabouts. The prongs represent parts of a pact with their patron. And Zora Kells is apparently camped on the banks of the Ophid river."

Would I know where the Orphid is? (edit: nevermind, just found it on the Bload map, so presumably I'd know it?)
Not sure how closely we're keeping track of money, but if it's relevant, how much did I give to the people in the forest?
Last edited June 17, 2015 1:56 pm
Jun 17, 2015 4:10 pm
Yes, you would know where the Ophid is. How much money did you want to give them?
Jun 17, 2015 6:23 pm
Enough for 2 bottles each of good quality wine and oil.
Jun 17, 2015 6:27 pm
Leth mumbles something incoherent and rolls over, eyes still shut. If he was awake enough to understand what Felor just said, he clearly wanted to wait and discuss it tomorrow.
Jun 17, 2015 6:33 pm
2 GP would cover a considerable upgrade over the nettle wine and whatever oil they've been bringing.

If all players have finished their business for this night, we can cut to the morning.
load next

Thread locked