Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Jun 26, 2015 10:20 pm
A thick, hairy arm swings up protectively in front of the woman's chest before Vad can even finish speaking. "Look not upon his arcane symbols, lest ye be bewitched!" the man beside her says. He glares at Vad with rather mad-looking ice blue eyes. "Begone with your sordid deviltry." The woman frowns, shrugs, and turns away.

Leth's gaze lands upon two women clad in the distinctive garb of Banwod: long robes under a vest and multiple scarves and belts cluttered with pouches and pockets, leaving only their faces uncovered. He makes eye contact with one of them; she smiles politely at him.
Jun 27, 2015 1:04 pm
Vad quickly turns the other way and heads for the exit. As he passes Leth he mumbles under his breath, "I tried. I'll be waiting outside when we're ready to leave...".
Jun 30, 2015 3:33 am
Leth approaches the two women.

"Hey!" He says with a small wave and a quick smile. "Sorry to interrupt, I won't be long. But my friends and I keep running into this weird symbol, and we're trying to figure out what it means, or where it comes from... It looks like a six pointed crown. Would either of you happen to know anything about it?"

Dunno if you want me to roll anything again
Last edited July 1, 2015 7:54 am
Jul 1, 2015 4:48 pm
The Banwodian woman seems a bit taken aback by the directness of your approach. She exchanges a glance with her companion, who gives her a subtle raised eyebrow and a shrug. "Ah--a six-pointed crown, you say? I can't say that anything comes to mind..."

"Here," her companion says, fishing a slate tablet and a short chalk-tipped wand from one of her pockets. "Sketch it for us."
Jul 2, 2015 3:59 am
Leth picks up the slate hesitantly, trying to remember exactly what the symbol looked like.

"Well, my companion probably has a better memory of it than I do, but I can try to draw it for you." He says, doing his best to recreate the symbol for them.
Jul 2, 2015 6:34 pm
They both stare at Leth's sketch for a long moment. "Well," the first one says, "it looks familiar enough that I might have seen it somewhere before, but coroniform sigils aren't all that uncommon. Theldred, what do you think?"

The other Bandwodian shakes her head. "I had the same thought. I can't place it specifically. Might be in Olfrod's Compendium. Where did you say you came across this symbol?"
Jul 4, 2015 2:35 am
"I think the first time we saw it, it was carved into the wooden beam of a house. The second time, on the pommel of a dagger. So far the only info we've been able to dig up on it so far is that it belongs to some local "witch-men"... I dunno. I'd never seen it before, nor had I heard of the witch-men, so we're hoping to find out a little more about it." Leth paused for a moment.

"That's kinda useful background info to know, isn't it? Sorry, I should have led with that." He said with a chuckle.
Jul 6, 2015 5:13 pm
Anybody in the tavern right now should give me a Perception roll.
Jul 6, 2015 10:24 pm
Perception!
Last edited July 6, 2015 10:25 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Jul 6, 2015 10:36 pm
Vad is outside of the tavern at this time, patiently waiting for the others.
Jul 7, 2015 7:53 am
Felor stands at the bar, sipping some ale, while watching Leth's conversation the other side of the inn.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Jul 8, 2015 7:47 pm
Movement behind the two women catches Felor's eye. A man in nondescript burgher's clothes lifts his head rather suddenly, glancing toward them. As Leth chuckles at himself the man turns and takes a few quick strides towards the tavern door.
Jul 8, 2015 7:59 pm
"We're in Sthombo to attend a symposium at the Temple of Nethuns," the first woman says to Leth. "I will inquire with the learned masters there about this symbol. Find us here again tomorrow morning, and I will let you know what they say of it."
Jul 13, 2015 2:20 am
OoC: Well, I thought it would be better to let Felor post before putting up my own reply, but I guess I'll go ahead haha

Leth's face fell a bit when they asked to meet tomorrow morning.
"Hmm... well, actually I'm not sure how long we'll be in town... I think we were planning on heading out sometime soon. Let me check with my companions." He straightened up. "Thanks for all your help, by the way!" He said as he left the table.

He moved over to Felor. "Well, I got a possible lead on the symbol." He said quietly. "The two ladies I was just speaking to think they might be able to get some info for us, but we won't find out til tomorrow morning. Should we hang around til then, or just go ahead and make for the Ophid River?"
Jul 14, 2015 8:15 am
Sorry! Been away for the weekend.

Still sipping his ale, Felor carefully watches the man across the bar moving towards the exit, as Leth comes over to talk to him. Leth notices Felor muttering something under his breath as he approaches. When Leth's said his piece, Felor replies, "That could be valuable information - we should wait until daybreak to set off again anyhow" and then starts moving towards the door.
In contrast to his previous sober demeanour, Felor suddenly starts to act rather inebriated - stumbling, swaying, leaning on his spear to stay upright, and singing discordantly:
"Ohh, the wizard's staff has a knob on the end.
It does!
Ohhhhh, the wizard's staff has a knob on the end
And the wizard's staff is the wizard's friend."

Felor will cast Guidance, and move towards the same door he saw the man head towards, while pretending to be drunk to confuse any potential enemies. Do I need a skill check for that? Performance maybe?

Rolls

Guidance - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Performance skill check - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jul 14, 2015 4:49 pm
One patron loudly joins his voice to Felor's rendition of "The Wizard's Staff" as he stumbles towards the door. Leaning in the doorway, Felor sees the burgher walking briskly down the north end of the street before turning into an alley.
Jul 17, 2015 2:55 pm
Once he's out of the inn, Felor drops the pretence of being drunk, and attempts to quietly follow the man up the street and peek down the alley.
Jul 17, 2015 2:56 pm
Seeing Felor exit the the inn, Vad, who's been outside for a while now, decides that he'll follow Felor from a bit of a distance in order to provide backup if needed.
Jul 19, 2015 8:20 am
"Okay, sounds good. I'll let go let them know-" but Leth stopped mid-sentence to watch Felor stumble off "drunkenly".

Odd... I wonder if he saw something... Well, at any rate, we can't do any more damage around here. Leth re-approached the two women, saying "We're staying here til tomorrow morning after all, so it looks like we'll be able to meet you here before we head out. I hope you have better luck than we've been having at finding info... and thanks again!" He said, moving to follow Felor out the door.

OoC: Just so you all know, I'm heading out of town tomorrow and will be away from my computer for a week. Might get to post from my phone, might not. Just a heads up!
Last edited July 19, 2015 8:20 am
Jul 20, 2015 4:48 pm
Felor needs to make Investigation and Stealth checks to stay on the trail of the suspicious burgher. Vad can follow Felor without issue.
load next

Thread locked