Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Aug 8, 2015 4:00 pm
While Leth is talking to one of the acolytes, Vad will watch how the others react to his questioning.

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Aug 11, 2015 11:31 am
Felor finds the town's environs are starting to feel claustrophobic. So many people, so little space - even this relatively small settlement feels oppressive to him. He longs to be back out in the wilderness. While Leth questions an acolyte, his mind drifts to images of open country, mountains reaching into the clouds, flowing rivers... but he has a task to do, and day dreaming isn't going to help.

With a sigh he brings his mind back to the present, and the temple they stand in. Casting his gaze across the surroundings, he tries to remember what he knows about Nethuns.

Rolls

Religion skill check - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm
"There's been lectures and symposiums going on all week," the acolyte says. "Do you know which one? Who are you looking for?"

Vad sees nothing out of the ordinary. The other acolytes nearby go about their business, sweeping the temple steps.

Felor is well familiar with Nethuns, if not particularly knowledgable about the intricacies of his cult. Acknowledged by many to be one of the oldest and mightiest gods, Nethuns' domain is the sea. He is said to dwell in an immense subterranean palace beneath the ocean floor, and when he strikes the columns holding up his ceiling in anger, the earth itself shakes violently. In ancient times humans were sacrificed to him, but in these days horses seem to be sufficient for him.
Aug 11, 2015 6:41 pm
Leth's couldn't help but feel defeated as he began to realize how difficult, if not impossible, this was going to be. "Unfortunately, no, I don't know which one they were attending... I'm looking for two women from Banwod, one of them was named.... Thelma? No, Theldred! One was named Theldred, I'm sure of it. I didn't catch the other's name."

Here Leth will attempt to describe them as best as he can.
Aug 11, 2015 7:47 pm
The acolyte squints. "Pater Ligbone might know whom of you speak. He takes his breakfast at the old well behind the temple, I expect he's still there now."
Aug 11, 2015 10:22 pm
Vad rolls his eyes as he suspects Leth is being led on a wild goose chase.
Aug 12, 2015 11:45 am
Nethuns, the sea god. Not unlike Fjorgyn - a god of the wilds, and the power of nature. An angry god, though. A god you worship in the hopes he might spare you his wrath, perhaps, Felor mused. Not like Fjorgyn - she was a god of tranquillity. Not to say that she was without power - just less concerned with human affairs. Not one to demand or care about sacrifices.
Aug 13, 2015 3:49 pm
The rear of the temple isn't far, if Leth or anyone wants to check and see if the Pater is there.
Aug 13, 2015 9:42 pm
Leth will thank the man and go look for Pater.
Aug 14, 2015 8:09 am
Felor will follow also, muttering something barely-audible about a wild goose chase.
Last edited August 14, 2015 10:23 am
Aug 14, 2015 4:32 pm
Behind the temple, beside an old stone well surrounded by tall weeds, Leth and the party find an old man wearing only a loincloth, seated on a bench and eating horse stew out of a wooden bowl. Two tall acolytes with piercing blue eyes attend him. They stare at you warily as you approach. Pater Ligbone does not bother to look up.
Aug 14, 2015 5:31 pm
Leth, suddenly not sure of what he has gotten himself into, bows respectfully once the acolytes see him, and approaches them until he is close enough so they can to hear him speak, but no further. "Do I have the honor of speaking to Pater Ligbone?"
Aug 14, 2015 5:59 pm
"These are my private hours, boy," the Pater says without looking up, "and I prefer to keep them as such."
Aug 14, 2015 7:04 pm
Leth gives a quick glance at his two companions, hoping they might indicate whether he should push the matter or leave the old man alone. The longer this search dragged on, the more futile it felt, and though he did feel a sense of responsibility for the two women for getting them involved, he knew they had other possibly time-sensitive matters that needed their attention too.
Last edited August 14, 2015 7:06 pm
Aug 14, 2015 9:50 pm
"Private hours?!" Vad chuckles as he approaches. "Good thing my friend here only needs a minute or two of your time then, isn't it."

Haven't released any of his arcane energy in quite some time, Vad is itching for an excuse to let some rip.
Aug 14, 2015 10:13 pm
Vad's irreverent tone gets a sharp glance and a raised eyebrow from the old cleric. A bit of stew dribbles through his beard, he wipes at it impatiently. "Speak, then. What is it you want?"
Aug 14, 2015 10:21 pm
Leth's eyes widened as Vad spoke so harshly, and whispered through his teeth, "What are you doing?"

But when Pater gave them the chance to speak, Leth figured it might be their only shot, and he stepped forward.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, sir, and I would not have if this wasn't important." He swallowed, a little nervous, and continued. "We're looking for two Bandwodian women who were attending a symposium here yesterday. They were supposed to meet with us this morning but never showed up. I just want to make sure they're safe. A man out front suggested we speak to you. One of the women was named Theldred; I'm afraid I don't recall the other's name." And Leth again attempted to describe to the old man what the two women looked like.
Last edited August 14, 2015 10:22 pm
Aug 14, 2015 10:27 pm
The Pater's eyes immediately narrow when you mention the women. He abruptly hands the bowl to one of his acolytes. "Yes, yes. Their absence was noted last night. Who are you to them? How is it you know them?"
Aug 14, 2015 10:45 pm
Leth fills with dread. "They weren't there?" He asks, a bit taken aback. That would have only been a few hour after I saw them... Leth, what did you get those women in to...

"Oh boy.... look, I'm terribly sorry about all of this. Let me explain.

My friends and I keep coming across this strange symbol - a six pronged crown. We were asking the other patrons of the inn we were staying at if any of them recognized it or could tell us where it comes from; those women were just two of the people we spoke to. Theldred told me they would inquire about it here and meet us this morning to tell us what they discovered, but they never arrived... and you say they weren't even at the symposium last night?"

OoC: ... I'm doing a terrible job of keeping a consistent tense while writing haha half the time it's present-tense, the other half it's past-tense. Which would be better? Everyone else seems to be doing present-tense. Or does it matter?
load next

Thread locked