Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm
Leth slowly and silently drew an arrow and set it to his bow, stepping back and close to the wall connected to the main entrance. He quietly whispered, "Remember, we need them alive."

Can I ready an action? Leth shoots an arrow at the newcomer if they are attacked or if he/she/it attempts to run away? Or is that too complex to ready?

Also, what's the exact layout of the longhouse? Any windows? Where's the door?
Apr 15, 2015 7:52 pm
The longhouse is about 20' x 60' oriented east-west and at this point in time consists only of the thick stone walls and the canopy of vegetation providing a roof of sorts. There are open doorways at either end and a semi-collapsed opening in the middle of the south wall. No windows.
Apr 15, 2015 8:06 pm
Can I check to see which entrance it sounds like the intruder is closest to? To try and guess which opening they'll come in?
Apr 15, 2015 8:11 pm
They seem likeliest to come to the west entrance first.
Apr 15, 2015 8:15 pm
To clarify, Felor is against the west wall to the side of the doorway.
Apr 15, 2015 10:07 pm
Vad is still standing near Felor and moves into position besides him.

Vad starts fidgeting a bit as he hears the noise approaching. Eager to unleash some of the magical power building within him he forgoes drawing a weapon and instead reaches into his pocket and withdrawals a small stone figurine into his left hand.
Apr 15, 2015 10:19 pm
The movement and bird calls have stopped. You can hear low voices now, but you can't really tell how many or what they're saying over the sound of the rain.

Abruptly, one of them calls out: "Nack?"
Apr 15, 2015 10:56 pm
Tzipporah cocks her head at the name, and attempts to impersonate the voice of the man that they had held captive.
"Inside."

[Will roll performance again but if I can use decpetion add +2 to the results]

Rolls

Performace Check - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Performance Check Advantage - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Apr 15, 2015 11:08 pm
More rustling, more furtive whispering. "Brand? What's going on? Where's Nack?"
Apr 15, 2015 11:53 pm
"Nack is hurt, bad. But I got one of them alive, barely. I can't carry them both."
[Not sure if I should roll for each impersonation or not]

Rolls

Performace Check - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Performance Check Advantage - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Apr 16, 2015 12:12 am
There's a long, silent pause. Then a different voice says: "Come outside. Slowly. Let us see you."
Apr 16, 2015 5:15 am
Leth grimaced and slumped back a bit. There was more than one voice. Whoever it was had brought help - which should have been obvious, really, considering the original plan was to take two of them alive. This was only confirmed by the use of "us."
Us.
Leth clenched his teeth and looked around, quickly trying to come up with a plan. He wasn't very successful. Even if he could come up with something, they wouldn't be able to communicate very well without risking those outside hearing or noticing. He glanced up at the others and moved towards the east doorway. Didn't want someone sneaking around back and catching them by surprise. He backed into the north-east corner and held his bow and arrow at the ready. He drew back the arrow and raised an eyebrow at the others in the longhouse, clearly asking if they should go out and attack.
Apr 16, 2015 11:17 am
Carillion grimly wipes his nose and readies his new crossbow. His fingertips spark with ambient electricity.
Apr 16, 2015 5:35 pm
I have Felor and Vad positioned at the west wall entrance, Leth in the northeast corner. I am going to assume Tzipporah, Carillion, and Frekki are generally near the west wall unless I hear otherwise...
Apr 17, 2015 11:23 am
[Sorry guys got super busy yesterday. BullOctorok, can I ask for a ruling on something? I can speak telepathically to people. Can I imitate other people's voices while speaking telepathicly? I know that sounds weird but my hope is to speak to the questioner in his own voice in his head.]
Tzipporah glanced at her companions, looking for ideas. "These guys are insistent," she whispered more to herself then anyone else. Maybe if she took a more aggressive turn.
Last edited April 17, 2015 11:24 am
Apr 17, 2015 3:56 pm
I think voice mimicry in telepathic communication will be a really hard sell, but you can try it. I'll need Performance and Deception skill checks.
Apr 17, 2015 5:45 pm
[Totally reasonable. Just trying to think of interesting ways to use awakened mind.]
"Look guys stop messing around or Nack is gonna bleed to death here."
Then Tzipporah reached out with her mind and whispered to the first questioner in his own voice, "It's fine. Go."

[Sorry about all the dice rolls, and I feel like I have monopolized this whole interaction. Sorry guys. Not my intention. Also not sure if I get advantage on my deception check. If not disregard second roll]

[EDIT:After rereading Awakened Mind I have to see the person I'm talking to. So disregard all the telepathy stuff in this post. Sorry everyone.]
Last edited April 17, 2015 6:07 pm

Rolls

Performance to impersonate Brand - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Performace to impersonate Brand advantage - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Performace to impersonate first voice - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Performace to impersonate first voice advantage - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Deception - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Deception Advantage - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

Apr 17, 2015 6:30 pm
"Let him bleed," the second voice says. "Step out where I can see you. Now."
Apr 18, 2015 5:43 am
This is getting no where... we need to do something. Leth made up his mind and tip-toed out the eastern door as quietly as he could, bow and arrow held extended in front of him. Maybe he could sneak around and surprise them, or at least get a look at how many they were dealing with. He did his best to stay hidden while moving just close enough to hopefully be able to spot them, within firing range of his bow.

I don't think there's anything in the handbook about sneaking related to this, but Leth does have the natural explorer ability and his favored terrain is the forest. Probably doesn't come in to effect here but I just thought I'd mention it.
Also I know we're not in initiative but if Leth can only move up to his speed, he'd be at about the 1/3 point of the length of the longhouse.
Last edited April 18, 2015 5:47 am

Rolls

Stealth Check? - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Apr 18, 2015 6:18 pm
Felor notices Leth silently sneak out of the other end of the longhouse. Hope he's going around to have a peek at our lads outside and not just buggering off, he thinks to himself. Sensing the men outside are unlikely to just stroll through the door into the waiting point of his spear, he starts to think about how they can best pull this off. Maybe if I can create some sort of distraction outside when Leth attacks, that might tip things in our favour...
load next

Thread locked