Chapter One: The Iron Sphere of Sthombo

load previous
Apr 25, 2015 11:06 pm
Hearing what sounded like the intruders making a break for it, Felor jogs down the side of the longhouse, spear at the ready.

(for clarity, I exited the longhouse on the southern side and will go as far as I can towards the (west?) end where the bad guys are. If I can close the distance and enter melee, I will)
Last edited April 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Rolls

Initiative if relevant - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Apr 26, 2015 3:09 am
"Son of a kobold", Vad mutters as he grabs his cross bow and follows Felor out of the house.

Rolls

Initiative (if needed) - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Apr 27, 2015 4:01 pm
Leth is the first to catch sight of the men: a stocky fellow clad in the same sort of black oilskins as the ambushers, and behind him a taller man in a long gray cloak with a pointed hood. The shorter one throws a quick glance behind him as Vad and Felor round the corner of the longhouse.

Everybody who hasn't already, roll initiative. The men are still running away at this point, through heavy, wet vegetation. They have about a seventy foot lead on Leth; with Vad and Felor a little ways behind.

Rolls

Enemy initiative - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Apr 28, 2015 2:44 am
When Leth saw how far ahead the two men were, he became a little more panicked. As far as he could tell, these two men were their only clues as to what was going on, and they couldn't afford to let them escape. He immediately let an arrow loose at the one in the gray cloak, figuring he might be the ringleader of the group. He aimed at his leg, hoping not to kill him but to keep him from running away. Upon releasing the arrow, he resumed pursuing the two men.

Leth will attack, then use all his speed towards them
Last edited April 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage Roll - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Apr 29, 2015 4:06 pm
The men start to gain ground as they reach clearer footing, but Leth looses an arrow that flies long and true, sinking deep into the tall man's thigh and pinning his cloak to his leg. He lets out a sudden shart grunt of pain and stumbles, falling to his hands and knees. His companion stops, looks at him, looks at his pursuers, then makes the decision to keep running. The wounded man hisses something unintelligible at him and tries to get up, but immediately falls back down to his knees. He turns to face the oncoming party and draws a long straight knife from his belt.
Apr 29, 2015 6:37 pm
How far away is the fleeing man? Can Felor reach the injured man in this round?
Apr 29, 2015 7:11 pm
The fleeing man is about 80' ahead of you. You can reach the injured one this round.
Apr 29, 2015 9:43 pm
Vad drops to one knee and takes aim at the fleeing man with his crossbow.

"Not so fast..."

Rolls

Attack Roll (+4) - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage Roll (+2) - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Apr 29, 2015 9:59 pm
Vad's bolt whizzes past the fleeing man's head as he bounds over a fallen branch.
Apr 30, 2015 3:22 am
OoC: Little bit of confusion here for me; the play-by-post system I've used before didn't really use an initiative system, but rather had everyone post what their character was doing whenever they got the chance, and when the DM replied, he/she would take the first three character actions, then an enemy action, then the next three character actions, and so on and so forth until all the character actions had been addressed in the DM's post. Obviously, we're not doing it that way here since we're using initiative, but how exactly does that work in the play-by-post structure? I know Leth just attacked, but then the enemy took a turn, so can I attack again now or do I need to wait for everyone else to take an action?
Apr 30, 2015 5:36 am
Typically, we're gonna do group initiative: one roll for the enemies vs average of players' rolls. In this case, all the enemy wants to do is flee, so when Vad rolled a hit I called it on the spot. You can take an action.
Apr 30, 2015 7:19 am
Seeing one man on the ground and the other vanishing into the foliage, Felor opts to confront the kneeling man. Catching up with him, Felor brings his spear to bear, and looks the man in the eyes.
"Your friend might be gettin' away, son, but you sure won't with that arrow in your leg. Drop the knife."

Don't have the PHB on hand, but if it's an option, I will use my action to prepare to parry any attacks with a view to disarming the guy without harming him further.
Last edited April 30, 2015 11:55 am
Apr 30, 2015 3:42 pm
Leth, seeing his first arrow had flown true, quickly set another arrow on his string and loosed it at the running man, again hoping to simply keep them from escaping. It would not do for one of them to get away and warn their superiors that Edvers' friends were all still alive and hunting them down.

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Damage Roll - (1d8+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Apr 30, 2015 3:55 pm
Leth's second arrow thunks into one of the trees the running man is now weaving through. Barring a dedicated pursuit, he seems to have successfully made his escape.

The wounded man does not drop his knife at Felor's command, but raises his other hand slightly. Thin, brightly-colored tendrils of purple mist coil up from his fingers. "Step back," he hisses. "All of you. Stand clear of me. Or the next breath you draw will be your last."
Apr 30, 2015 5:38 pm
Realising this is clearly the magic-user who had let off the concussive blast barely a minute ago, Felor tightens his grip on his shield and mutters a small prayer to Fjorgyn under his breath, hoping she will grant him her favour should the man conjure up a second magic strike.

Remain in spear melee range. Cast Resistance (cantrip) on myself.
May 1, 2015 6:01 pm
The wounded man flexes his fingers, sending out swirling puffs of purple mist. "Further back! And lower your bows. Do as I say."
May 1, 2015 6:11 pm
Tzipporah steps from the ruins and takes in how things have unfolded. Seeing the other man disappearing into the forest she burst into a run hoping to get close enough to unleash a blast of Eldritch energy.
[Sorry guys been sick and bogged down with work]
May 1, 2015 6:27 pm
Vad stands up and slowly hooks his crossbow onto his back. "Easy there, we just want to talk, we don't want to see anyone get hurt." He nonchalantly places his left hand into his pocket and palms his small stone cat figurine (arcane focus) while continuing to reassure the wounded man that Vad's friends just want to talk to him.

OOC: If I'm reading the rules correctly Vad is going to take a Ready action and ready his Magic Missile spell. If the wounded man takes any kind of offensive action, Vad will unleash all three darts of the spell into him.
May 1, 2015 6:38 pm
The man closes his fist; the cloud of mist contracts into a thick, dark sphere around his hand. "Cease your spellcasting! If I release this gas your friend here will be first to die," he says, nodding at Felor. "Throw your weapons on the ground and place your hands behind your head. I will be the one to ask the questions."
May 1, 2015 7:09 pm
"Men on their knees surrounded by armed opponents are in no position to be making demands," Felor states, but his nervous glance towards his compatriots betrays his true feelings.
load next

Thread locked