Scene 1- The Mindbender's Hut

May 4, 2015 3:00 pm
It is a warm summer day. The sun shines down from a clear blue sky. A few cotton puff clouds float lazily high above the forest treetops. Below the trees the sunlight dapples the ground. Forest life is present in droves, beetles scurry along the ground, ants busily gather food for their queens and their brood. A fox lopes between the trees searching for a meal, a group of squirrels chatter high above its head in an ancient oak.

Along a well traveled path, we see a young woman. A human woman who has only this season reached the age of majority. Her lush auburn hair is held back by simple twine and a small wild flower garland she has put together as she walked the path. Her dress is homespun. Simple and plain, it is however sturdy and clean, a testament to its craftsmanship and care. The young woman whistles snippets of a half remembered tune as she walks the path. On her arm she carries a basket, covered by linen cloth. Her bundle bulges under her arm and she shifts it occasionally to keep the weight from straining one arm or the other. A bee trundles up to the basket and attempts to investigate, but is thwarted by a gentle showing from the girl and the shifting of the basket.

The woman comes to a stream, a little wiser than a full stride length, and carefully steps on the larger stones placed to ease crossing. She has reached a small cottage, her apparent destination. She knocks but does not wait for, or receive, a response before entering the structure. Inside, the hut is dimly lit and the air is somewhat musty. The curtains are drawn and the hearth is cold. The woman places the basket on the modest table in the center of the hut and takes a look around. The hut is well appointed and divided into three rooms. The main area has a large comfortable chair and several other pieces of furniture. Five could be seated to chat and be warmed by the modest fireplace on a chilly night. The second room serves as the kitchen. A small oven and wash tub take up a good portion of the room. The rest of the space is filled with shelves holding a nearly impossible amount of bottles, jars, vials, and bundles of dried herbs. Tucked away in the corner is a small half-door that leads to a larder and storage for food stuffs that could spoil. The last room is a bedroom. The fireplace passes through into this room as well to provide warmth to the occupants as they slumber. A pile of threadbare quilts and blankets sit atop the thin but soft looking mattress on the small bed under a small open window that is also covered by curtains.

The hut is in minor disarray, looking as though some careless individual had been living here. There are bottles and canisters strewn about, obviously not in their proper place. The remnants of a meal or two remain on plates. One on the floor near a large comfy chair, another on a side table. When the woman opens the curtains to let the sun's light in, notes of dust dance across the beam of light. A slight smile tugs at the corner of her mouth as she gazes out into the forest. She does not see the gray figure that rises from the bed and shambles toward her.

The gray figure extends a thin, gnarled, bony hand toward the woman as it shuffles forward. Slowly and silently the apparition advances on the girl. The skin on the outstretched hand is pale and leathery, cracked and calloused from years of wear and work. It is a stark contrast to the soft pink flesh of the young woman's shoulder and neck it is reaching out for. As the fingers touch the woman she let's out a sharp cry of surprise and turns quickly to face the gray being.

"Oh! Marta, you startled me." The gray figure, named Marta, is a thin worn woman of advanced, but not ancient, age. Her hair, once waves of gold woven with silver, now hangs limp and unkempt. It frames a face that once was lovely, though average beauty, now lined and wrinkled. Her thin lips are colorless and wide on her face. Marta's sunken eyes are rimmed with dark circles. The once bright green is somehow faded. Her gaze is long and unfocused, staring but unseeing. Marta removes her hand from the young woman's shoulder and looks past her into the trees outside.

[b]"How are you today? Have you eaten yet? Can I get you anything?"
the young woman inquires of the older. "Who...? Marta weakly responds.

A look of concern comes over the young woman. "Marta, its me Sarah. Sarah Clairmont. I've come to check on you and help you clean up a little? I've brought your groceries from the market." With this response, Mart gives no indication that she has heard it, she stares out the window vacantly for a moment, then turns and shuffles over to the large comfy chair.

Sarah sighs, then begins working. First she makes Marta a meal of honey cakes and a few sausages. Then she sets to the task of cleaning and setting things right. Several times she has to remind Marta to continue eating when she finds the older woman just sitting with the plate in her lap as she stares out the window.

((Ooc - I would like each of you to describe what your characters are doing now. For those not from Barrelwaight, you can't tell why but you have all been drawn to this place. You see Sarah approaching Marta, the Mindbending Witch's hut and can get close enough to see the whole scene described unfold from hiding if you wish. Just give a bit of detail about what the familiars would do here. Chocokiko I left Coco out of my description to give you as much freedom as possible. Coco can be in the hut, or wherever you want in this scene. Also, if I need to edit any description of the hut or Marta (including need name - I couldn't find one in your posts or description - just let me know.))
May 4, 2015 6:12 pm
Teasel, the Raven
---
Temporary Aspect(s): A Long Journey's Toll
---
Fate Point(s) 5

Driving eastward as if by wicked purpose, unsettling behavior for one commonly mistaken to be death's harbinger, a stocky corvid flies black gold in the early sunlight. She flits among the treetops and summer wind never resting for more than a moment to ruffle her feathers and catch her breath. The hurried blackbird keeps an eye to the west, in a conspiratorial or clever way, as if aware of some danger no longer immediate. She is the cat hissing at ghosts and the dog crying for the storm brewing beyond the mountains. Only there is no storm brewing this day, and the spirits of this forest are rumored to be kind.

Following the winding path of a small river the raven glides low toward a shabby cottage. At last she takes her rest, touching down on a window ledge of the humble cabin. Peering beyond the threshold she witnesses an older woman listless at her morning meal and a younger maiden at work cleaning house. She wonders what compelled her here, but makes certain not to announce herself for fear that the women might read her arrival as portents of ill luck or of death.

Silver moonlight glints from her eyes casting circles around her black pupils. She cocks her head about searching for hidden answers from the home and it's crowded shelves before retreating to a hidden perch among the forest trees.

---
Action:
Sneakily Create an Advantage to Read Psychic Impressions on Places or Objects in visible portions of the hut
---
Aspect Declaration:
Spirits Rumored to be Kind
---
(Can spend a fate point for aspect declaration but not placing it for immediate use, just fleshing things out)
Last edited May 4, 2015 6:15 pm

Rolls

Sneaky +4

0 Positive, 2 Blank, 2 Negative - Total: -2

May 4, 2015 6:57 pm
Upon arrival of the young woman Coco flutters around her on every step sqawking exitedly. While she prepares the meal he strides up and down the kichen counter, head bobbing and watching her every move. He is very happy for the break in the daily boredom. When the girl is finished with the honeycakes and preparing the saucages he swoops down and steals one right off the plate. He flutters on top of the wardrobe with his prey and starts feasting noisily. Every now and then wisteling some happy notes.
When he satisfied his first hunger he flies over and settels on the shoulder of the young woman thankfully rubbing his head against her cheek. He plays with her hair until she brushes him off.

OOC: I might need some tipps on what to roll and when. But for now its mainly fluff. :-)
May 5, 2015 2:41 am
Days ago Torbern left Chalcanth’s inverted tower to go to Barrelwaight. Knowing it was the town his Master learned of his final quest he thought it the best place to start a search for clues about what happened. But something else was telling him he needed to head there. Something he didn’t understand but was akin to the draw he sometimes felt towards Ioun stones or large treasure. As he left he decided to approach Fenwick, a former rival’s familiar, who he knew had been lurking for a couple days to see if he wanted to journey together. Torbern remembered Fenwick had skills that he didn’t and thought it would be useful to have him around, and while he wouldn’t admit it he wanted a traveling companion because he is lonely. He had rarely been away from his Masters side and the time alone was beginning to affect him.

The power of the unknown draw had led to this cottage. Torbern hunches lower in the berry bushes as the young human passes by. He isn’t bothered by the brambles as the thorns are too soft to scratch his gem and stone body. His combat instinct kicks in and he carefully scans the surrounding area to determine who or what else is in the area. As the young human enters the cottage, Torbern nudges Fenwick and looks him in the face. Torbern’s expression is a quizzical one with a hairline fracture in a piece of stone comically mimicking a raised eyebrow above his Ioun stone "eyes". His gems flicker dimly as if to say, *What do you think?* Then he points an arm towards the windows that have been uncovered and his eye gems flash conveying *Take a closer look?*

(OOC: Just like Coco I will need guidance on when I should roll, like do you do perception rolls? Also, Torbern currently doesn’t speak in case you didn’t know, this trait may change if my writing isn’t strong enough to support it.)
Last edited May 5, 2015 2:42 am
May 5, 2015 1:31 pm
Torbern and Fenwick stood outside the cottage. It has been awhile since they had the luxury of a roof over their heads, and while Torbern looked as if he could withstand any weather and Fenwick's natural home was the forest, Fenwick had grown fond of living human fashion. Torbern looked at Fenwick inquisitively, pointing at the cottage.

Fenwick washes his hands together evilly, and snarls, muttering "Fire hot, bones split, little maiden's face did rip" and scampers toward the cottage. He points at the door, and then climbs up the side of a woodpile and leaps to the window, dangling by one hand but easily pulling himself up with one hand. His eyes peering inside over the top of the window, he waits for the maiden and the old woman to look elsewhere, and silently creeps inside. He hides behind the furniture and out of their sight, making his way to the door. From the shadows underneath a cupboard, he can see most of the room.

Waiting for an opportunity while the maiden is cleaning and the old woman is eating, he uses his magic to open the door for Torbern, and then closing it behind him.

Rolls

Sneaky (+4) infiltration of the cottage

1 Positive, 1 Blank, 2 Negative - Total: -1

May 5, 2015 1:49 pm
While Coco is fooling around he nevertheless has an eye on "his" hut and humans. He is very protective.

OOC: So there is a raven on one window and some horned little monstrosity on another. What do I roll to percieve or to oppose the intrusion? I don't see how I could interpret Fenwick's action as friendly...
May 5, 2015 6:29 pm
((For Torbern to sneak into the hut you would simply need to state the action and make a roll+Sneaky. To observe the intruders Coco would roll as well. Careful and Clever jump out at me as the approaches that makes the most sense, however it is the nature of Fate Accelerated to be flexible. I could also accept Sneaky, on the grounds that "It takes one to know one." Meaning a sneaky person naturally uses their knowledge to ferry out other sneaky people (or creatures in this instance. If something else comes to mind however, state your case, if it is logical I will accept it.

As I think about it more, Flashy and Forceful at the only approaches I'm not seeing as useful for observing in this instance. That doesn't mean they can't be used to observe ever, just not now unless you all think of a way to do it that I haven't

Since Coco and Sarah are the potential observers, they will each make their roll and those wishing to remain unobserved will have to roll Sneak to remain hidden.

So far we have Fenwick at +3 to sneak in and Teasel at +2 to sneakily cast a spell. When we get results from Sarah and Coco we will decide the results.))
May 5, 2015 6:34 pm
As Sarah diligently works on bring order back to the hut she can't help but feel like she is being observed. She glances at Marta who is once again staring off into space, then at the bird, Coco, it seems content now that it has eaten and is watching her work, but that isn't the "watcher" she is feeling...

Rolls

Clever(+2) enough to observe the intuders

3 Positive, 0 Blank, 1 Negative - Total: +2

May 6, 2015 12:03 pm
The Captain of the River Swan could not have known it, but the favorable wind that drove his wide, shallow-drafted river vessel faster than she ever had before was wholly unnatural. The River Swan carried fine metalwork of silver and brass. He thanked the gods for the wind for in truth, the captain was eager to reach the capitol. The workmanship of the merchandise was exquisite, and would fetch a tidy sum in Valarin this season. Most vessels with such valuable cargo counted at least one mage in their crew for protection, but the River Swan did not. The captain was a pious man and distrusted the arcane arts. He would have been horrified had he discovered that his thanks to the gods for the rogue wind had been misdirected; he should have been thanking the unnatural stowaway hidden away in his cargo hold. The stowaway, Diginus, a diminutive brass & steel automaton, was a storm mage.

Diginus had been headed for Valarin seeking answers. Months before, his master, the great storm mage Vrexoeis, had been on his way to Valarin when he was killed. By rival mages, it was rumored. Diginus refused to believe it. His master was ancient, wise, and powerful, but kind. True, there were those who would kill for power and riches, but they couldn't have bested Vrexoeis, could they? Diginus sought answers, and he was convinced that Valarin was where the path to answers would begin.

So it made no sense then, that Diginus should quit the River Swan when it stopped at the town of Barrelwaight. No sense at all. But he had felt something...a sliver of something. A trickle of magic, like pollen from a laden bee on its lazy flight home. He followed the trickle inland via a small rivulet that gradually narrowed to a stream and eventually led him here, wherever this was, crouched in the bushes looking at a small hut in the woods. This was no wizard's stronghold, how could magic, no matter how weak, be leaking from here? He gasps inwardly when the trickle of magic becomes the crackle of spells being cast. He sees a door being opened magically, and a strange gem-like thing enter. His curiousity aroused, Diginus edges closer...
May 6, 2015 1:22 pm
Tries to notice the intruders

Rolls

Clever +4 to percieve

1 Positive, 1 Blank, 2 Negative - Total: -1

May 6, 2015 1:35 pm
As Fenwick is pulling himself up the window he finds a cockatoo stalking up and down the windowsill eying him very closely and suspiciously.

Coco reaches out with his mind giving Fenwick a very *bad* feeling about entering without permission.
Then he will try to get a sense of what drives that strange creature to sneak around his home.

He also noticed the raven on the other windowsill but since it only seems to be watching without the intention to enter he deals with the more important issue first. Also the raven didn't make any attempt of hiding so it seems to have more honest intentions.

Rolls

Cleverly (+4) implaning a suggestion

0 Positive, 2 Blank, 2 Negative - Total: -2

Carefully (+1) read the feelings of the faun

2 Positive, 2 Blank, 0 Negative - Total: +2

May 6, 2015 10:18 pm
((Results so far - Teasel, your spell goes off without any problem. The impression you get is this place is safe. There are numerous wards against evil magic and creatures. It would take a very powerful mage , or other entity, to disrupt the protections on the hut. You don't notice any wards that would specifically target you or your kind. However, the place is claimed by another, a common occurrence and practice among magic users. When a person stays in a place for a long time, builds upon it, and generally thinks of the place as theirs while in it, then it becomes true. Like "Nature" or "Reality" agrees that the magic user does belong there. The end result is that the flow of energy sort of "warps" or "bends" to accommodate their will making magic easier to practice. All of you understand this principal as just one of the basic laws of reality, like how gravity works. You could study it your whole life and your understanding would be immense compared to the next mage, but it would still only be a scratch on the surface of the actual truth.

But I digress, Teasel's spell shows this. The raven's initial though is that it is the older gray woman, but she reads as magically inert. The younger woman has power, but it is fledgling and more or less untapped. Then there is the big white bird, it is similar to the raven itself, in that it too was once a familiar. The wards on this place were not cast by this, though it now holds the claim on this place. That is something unheard of in your understanding, but then again, so are you. Your master perished, the pieces you brought back passed on and in bringing them back you managed to keep a small portion of your master with you, but the conduit between you was severed and you should have either died or reverted back to your primitive, animal state.

However, while you magic works, it is noticed. Both the white bird and the girl look directly at you. Without reacting though they both turn away. Something else has caught their attention, you are unsure what it is though.

How does "Hospitable, but weary" sound for the success? If Coco welcomes you it will change.))
May 6, 2015 11:46 pm
((I have results for Fenwick coming but am having issues posting it. Give me a couple hours and then we can continue.))
May 7, 2015 2:24 am
((This is for everybody who is new to Fate or wants to peer behind the screen a little. If you are a Fate Pro you can skip to the end and find the little recap. So Fenwicks action was to sneak inside the hut and remain hidden. Essentially what he did was the Create Advantage action using his Sneaky Approach. His results totaled +3 (in the book they use a word to describe every number from -4 to +8 but I haven't bothered to learn them, I just know how successful a roll is based on the actual number. If you want to learn the list more power to you, but it just gives you an idea of how cool the action should be described, the number is what is important for me ).

So Fenwick has his +3 (Sneaky +4 and the -1 from the dice). I told him he would have to beat the highest roll of Coco or Sarah. Normally there would only be one number to beat but we are in the "forming the party" scene so I wanted to give Coco(Chicokiko) to roleplay a bit (and everyone else I guess) onceyou all are "friends" it should be one-on-one, unless things get crazy. So...had Fenwick only been trying to beat Coco he would have been succesful and Created an Advantage like "Hidden" or something with a free Invoke. This can be seen at Fate-SRD.com under the Outcomes section. On the next turn if Coco had continued looking for Fenwick, Coco would make Overcome action rolls using his desired approach and Fenwick would make Defend action rolls. Fenwick could spend his Fate Points to Invoke the "Hidden" advantage he had created on the first roll (or used his free Invoke) to gain either a +2 bonus or a re-roll. We would continue until Fenwick were found or Coco gave up searching (or something else happened, but this is just an example).

Unfortunately for Fenwick he had a superior observer working against him in the form of Sarah and she is going to act in a manner that will giveaway his hiding spot as you read this. He is free to try pretty much any action he wants, or to just reveal himself and see what happens, but hiding from sight will require something else to happen that will distract Sarah and Coco from the tiny intruder (a spell perhaps?).

So, the RECAP Sarah sees Fenwick when he attempts to cast the spell that will open and close the door for Torbern. Torbern has the option to enter or not, but he will be seen right now if he does.))

"Oh, hello, little fairy-kin, I did not see you come in. Ya needn'a hide beneath the cupboard there. Come out and have some refreshment, unless'n ya mean some mischief. We'll'a have none of that, please." And she goes to the cupboard and finds the cream and pours some into a small cup she retrieves from another shelf. Then sets it down on the floor near Fenwick.
May 7, 2015 6:38 pm
Torbern wonders at why Fenwick would need to rip the humans face, perhaps it’s a ritual for the spell to open the door. It seems like quite a messy method but each mage has their own style. As Fenwick skillfully enters the house through the window Torbern makes his way to the door. The human that entered wasn’t the source of the pull that brought them to this cottage. He began to wonder what was, a powferul mage calling out for a new familiar? A magic item attune with the source of his power? Perhaps a treasure trove of magic items were hidden under this cottage and are calling for a new master to claim them! As his greed causes his mind to wander he goes unaware of the automaton watching him from the bushes.

The door begins to open slowly and Torberns focus returns, as he prepares to sneak inside as best he can he hears a pleasant voice say, "Oh, hello, little fairy-kin…" a brief panic washes over him and causes him causing him to miss what else is said. His ally has been spotted and may be in danger, especially if he had to be aggressive and rip that humans face for his spell. Torbern thinks of what his master would want him to do in a situation like this. Prepare for a fight, "Cast when you can," his master would say, "for when the fray starts you may not get a chance." He decides it best to do just that while causing a distraction, in case Fenwick is surrounded. He charges through the now closing door and focuses his thoughts to gather arcance energy in his fists creating a flash of light and the crackle of power to draw his potential enemies attention.

Rolls

Imbue fists with Arcane energy, done Flashily +2

1 Positive, 2 Blank, 1 Negative - Total: +0

May 7, 2015 7:05 pm
((@THEMeeples - You successfully Create the Advantage and gain the Temp. Aspect "Imbued with Arcane Energy" with your spell. Since it seems like a battle spell the difficulty was a 0.))

"Oh!" Sarah exclaims and backs away from the newly placed cup of cream. She raises her hands defensively, unsure what to make of the pretty little gemstone creature that just burst through the door. "Wo-Would you be a friend of the wee fae then? Stand down and be welcomed. No harm will come to you here, less you bring it upon yourself."
May 7, 2015 7:20 pm
The pleasant voice has spoken yet again, this time Torbern listens to it all and hears the claim of being welcome if he stands down. Keeping his back to a wall to ensure he isn't taken by surprise he lowers his guard a hair and scans the room for Fenwick.
May 7, 2015 9:03 pm
Fenwick, starting to ease out from under the cupboard to the proffered cream, is startled by the sudden mini-storm and defensively hides back under the cupboard. As tensions cease, he suspiciously returns to the cream, dips a finger in and tastes it. "Little maiden has survived for now, fear be to those who sleep with closed eyes." He drinks deeply and shudders with delight, before thinking to offer Torbern some with a baleful glare.

Fenwick then clambers onto the table and stares suspiciously at the Sarah and her white bird, rubbing his hands together nervously.
May 8, 2015 10:47 am
Perched in boughs bent low over the roof of the crowded cottage Teasel hears some commotion from the odd travelers creeping and careening about the, until now, unassuming place. She flutters back to the window sill to look around with some surprise at a faun, crystal golem, and bird--appearing similar to her only in the most basic characteristics of its form. "Why how strange a sight..." she lets slip in the common tongue before realizing her proximity to those who might otherwise assume her an ordinary bird. Like she ought to be, she thinks uneasily reflecting on her twisted master.
May 8, 2015 11:11 am
Coco comes from the other window and lands on the young woman's shoulder again. He cocks his head embarrased that he didn't see any faun slipping in. His feather crest raised to maximum height.
He seems bothered by the fact that he is not the center of attention and starts singing sqawkingly.

"A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
"

OOC: I did mention he is a bit crazy :-)
Last edited May 8, 2015 11:11 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.