A Time for Harvest Gameplay - Chapter Three

load previous
Mar 1, 2018 10:34 am
OOC:
Do I still need to roll for gun jam? Is there anything like Taking 20 in Call of Cthulhu? :)
Mar 1, 2018 4:20 pm
Taking 20? Sam can fix it for you.
Mar 1, 2018 4:45 pm
OOC:
Taking 20 is a d20 term. You can use an extended period of time to guarantee a maximum roll on an attempt not in combat."When you have plenty of time, you are faced with no threats or distractions, and the skill being attempted carries no penalties for failure, you can take 20. In other words, if you a d20 roll enough times, eventually you will get a 20. Instead of rolling 1d20 for the skill check, just calculate your result as if you had rolled a 20.

Taking 20 means you are trying until you get it right, and it assumes that you fail many times before succeeding. Taking 20 takes 20 times as long as making a single check would take (usually 2 minutes for a skill that takes 1 round or less to perform).

Since taking 20 assumes that your character will fail many times before succeeding, your character would automatically incur any penalties for failure before he or she could complete the task (hence why it is generally not allowed with skills that carry such penalties). Common "take 20" skills include Disable Device (when used to open locks), Escape Artist, and Perception (when attempting to find traps)."
Mar 1, 2018 5:21 pm
OOC:
Interesting. Never learned d20 rules. Anyway, yes, outside of combat, some thing like that will fix itself sooner or later or someone more skilled will take the job and do it for you.
Mar 1, 2018 5:29 pm
"Anyone who's isn't armed take a weapon. Let's finish this."

Mathis looks around to see how many combatants he has.
Mar 1, 2018 5:41 pm
OOC:
There's no rule like that which guarantees automatic successes in CoC 7E. In ToC and Delta Green, they've implemented various degrees of automatic successes depending on the context of the skill check, but that conceit hasn't made it over to the official CoC mechanics yet. In 7E, they only offer bonus dice, luck spends, and roll pushes as mechanical means of increasing success. Beyond that, it's encouraged for Keepers to let players automatically succeed at mundane activities, or investigative actions when there's no time pressure and a failure wouldn't add anything interesting to the story.

tl;dr - automatic success is Keeper's Choice in CoC 7E, but there's no "taking 20" or anything that players can do mechanically to guarantee it.
Mar 2, 2018 6:44 pm
Sam - .45
Clive - Rifle
Mathis - Rifle
Doc - Rifle
Eugene - .45
Larry .45

Those barricaded in the office are staying.
Mar 2, 2018 6:45 pm
Mathis and Sam lead the way back to the stairs and head down to the door of the fourth floor. Things seem to have gone quiet.
Mar 2, 2018 6:53 pm
"We stay together and clear this as a group. Keep your eyes open and lets go."

Mathis opens the door and looks in.

Rolls

spot hidden(60) - (1d100)

(52) = 52

Mar 2, 2018 8:05 pm
Bill instinctively starts praying as he sits in the guard room alone. He starts looking at what gear is left in the room while he sits cradling his knees rocking back and forth.
OOC:
What equipment is left here?
Heavenly father, I am your humble servant,
I come before you today in need of hope.
There are times when I fell helpless,
There are times when I feel weak.
I pray for hope.
I need hope for a better future.
I need hope for a better life.
I need hope for love and kindness.
Some say that the sky is at it's
darkest just before the light.
I pray that this is true, for all seems dark.
I need your light, Lord, in every way.
I pray to be filled with your light from
head to toe. To bask in your glory.
To know that all is right in the world,
as you have planned, and as you want
it to be.
Help me to walk in your light, and live
my life in faith and glory.
In your name I pray, Amen.
Mar 3, 2018 1:00 am
OOC:
There's a couple of .45s, some nightsticks and the shotgun Bill carries.
Mar 3, 2018 1:18 am
OOC:
father bill grabs two 45s and goes boondock saints on their ass.
Mar 3, 2018 3:57 pm
Mathis leads the way onto the fourth floor and you are all met with a horrendous sight. The beams of your torches pick up blood spattered and smashed furniture, broken bodies. There is no sign of the cause.
OOC:
Sanity checks all round please
Mar 3, 2018 3:58 pm
"What happened here?!!"
Last edited March 3, 2018 3:59 pm

Rolls

Sanity (61) - (1d100)

(85) = 85

Mar 3, 2018 4:08 pm
Sanity

Rolls

Sanity (67) - (1d100)

(65) = 65

Mar 3, 2018 4:11 pm
Mathis. Auto loss of 1 Sanity

Rolls

Eugene sanity loss - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Mar 3, 2018 4:16 pm
Holy hell...

Rolls

Sanity! (60) - (1d100)

(46) = 46

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.