OOC Megathread

load previous
Jul 18, 2015 2:15 am
Yeah, I usually do just resolve turns in order (and I do encourage posting when you can, so as to maximize speed) but in this case, the poor hell hound was obliterated well and truly before either Xera or Zaris (that's going to trip me up more than once) were even close to acting.
Jul 18, 2015 2:16 am
That said, I realized I can make initiative "bands" even smoother if there are only every 2: PCs and NPCs, so that's what I'll do starting with the next battle and this little hiccup will never be so pronounced again.
Jul 18, 2015 2:03 pm
Candi says:
Try to only post during your initiative bracket (this way, you can be sure you're target is alive when you roll! And also, it may help strategizing. That said, you're free to post ahead of your bracket, in which case I'll resolve your action when your turn actually rolls around) -- of course you're free to post in any order within a bracket. For all future combats I'm going to split initiative into only two brackets (no splitting the PCs up with a single monster group like this combat). But for now, we're committed to this way.
Sorry about that! I've been used to playing games with Good v Bad INIT blocking and just moving attacks over to what baddies are still alive if need be.
Jul 18, 2015 2:09 pm
Yeah I could've just moved the attack over... But, well, I know more than you ;)
Jul 18, 2015 2:10 pm
Also maybe I should've left them. At least yours, Zaris had a really nice shot!

Anyway, no harm done and as I've said, good v bad init blocks is the way this will be done here on out (probably as soon as next round).
Jul 19, 2015 4:11 am
Works for me.

Hopefully my next shot will be as good!
Jul 19, 2015 4:38 am
Gonna jump on the sorry wagon. Must not have seen the other attack posts. I'll try to pay better attention.
Jul 19, 2015 3:05 pm
No apologies needed - the other posts got deleted by me in a hasty decision (and you were posting within turn order).

We're now effectively in Us vs Them Initiative so you can all post at will. I won't delete any posts anymore (sorry!), and if your target is dead by the time yours resolves (they will resolve in *posting* order) I'll just give you a new (and sensibly chosen) target.

Also, for future combats this is how initiative will run in the background (so you can post accordingly -- note I'm going to add this to the house-rules thread for reference):

Enemy Initiative will be the AVERAGE of all monster initiative rolls. Player initiatives will be rolled individually. Those whose result is higher than the Enemy Initiative will act first (no other players can post! This is something like a 'bonus turn' for them). Then, after that initial mini-player turn, combat will proceed in Us vs Them fashion.
Jul 19, 2015 3:14 pm
That seems efficient.
Jul 19, 2015 4:16 pm
And, it makes players who invest in/have high init not feel like they wasted effort having high init (because rolling well on init makes it almost like getting a 'bonus round').
Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm
Channelling my inner Reina with that flurry....
Jul 20, 2015 5:27 pm
Whoo! I was so sure I was going to roll in the single digits for that attack (Thanks Demon master!)
Whoops sorry Candi :/
Last edited July 20, 2015 5:37 pm
Jul 20, 2015 5:37 pm
When making a ranged attack while in melee, you have Disadvantage (roll 2d20, take the worst) -- I have done so in my resolution post (and you still hit)
Jul 21, 2015 3:34 pm
Ouch, Arjen! The die is a cruel mistress!
Jul 21, 2015 4:49 pm
What was Zaris' disadvantage for? Just curious.
Jul 21, 2015 5:42 pm
Shooting through the trees at the cleric on the other side (you guys are at the fork in the road in melee, Zaris is behind you, the cleric is on the path between hte fork and farmhouse -- hence, the intervening space between Zaris and his target is wooded)
Jul 21, 2015 6:07 pm
Grendelthebrave says:
Ouch, Arjen! The die is a cruel mistress!
It happens!
Jul 21, 2015 6:56 pm
Do I have clear enough line of sight to rebuke the cleric in a manner quite Hellish?
Jul 21, 2015 7:25 pm
You can see him, yes. But you don't meet the conditions to cast Hellish Rebuke (you need to be damaged by the creature you plan to target):

"Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take in response to being damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see."
Jul 21, 2015 7:57 pm
Oh rats. On a somewhat related note: is there an app or anything that I can access the PHB from my phone (which is how I post at work)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.