OOC Megathread

load previous
Jul 24, 2015 6:50 pm
I'll suck it up next time, and take the new "hey look at me" action, Xara's probably got some better damage potential with the sneak attack, and the advantage should help.

*Assuming Tymora doesn't give up and let the hail of arrows pincushion me to death.
Jul 24, 2015 11:04 pm
I sure hope so. If Xara fails with an advantage then clearly we are not meant to attack anyone.
Jul 25, 2015 2:53 pm
That was a very exciting round :)
Jul 25, 2015 3:13 pm
Can Kaiakas block an incoming attack to defend Zaris just as I'm coming to? Probably with his shield.
Jul 25, 2015 4:21 pm
Sure (I'll grant Disadvantage on the next attack roll against Zaris if you spend your Action "Defending" him). Or, you could spend your Action attacking and wake-up and kill the hobgoblin (if you roll well).

If, on the other hand, you were just asking permission to include some dramatic fluff in your post and this wasn't a question about game mechanics - yes, of course!
Jul 26, 2015 12:57 am
WTF YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. *cries*

On the plus side, I am glad that I am not playing Dungeon World, where Bad Things Happen on a miss, because Xara would surely be dead by now.
Last edited July 26, 2015 12:58 am
Jul 26, 2015 12:58 am
:o Lol, I was about to post virtually the same thing... Wow! That is the most perfect example of 'sadvantage'
Jul 26, 2015 1:12 am
Yes, Candi. I was thinking of dramatically interrupting the hobgoblin's attack. Wasn't sure what you would require for that.
Jul 26, 2015 3:49 am
What you've done is great. We'll see how the attack goes with the disadvantage.
Jul 27, 2015 2:28 pm
Even the academic is gonna land more blows than us at this point. Hmm, maybe there's something Xara can do that doesn't involve fighting?
Jul 27, 2015 2:55 pm
Really, the big problem Xara and Corban have had is bad dice rolling. You're living in the tail of the bell curve, and that sucks.

(it's why, in general, I dislike the way RPGs tend to use dice -- because it's clear designers didn't spend time actually thinking about the statistically unlikely, but actually possible, incomprehensibly long string of bad luck. If enough copies of the game are sold, *someone* will experience that, and it's worth designing a game, I think, so that worst experience is fun. It's also why, when I build D&D characters, I always optimize "to hit". I'd rather hit and do a little damage, than to miss most of the time and do big damage when I hit... because missing is sucky and not fun, but hitting, even for a little bit, makes progress).

What's kind of funny, is the enemies have been living in the same probability tail and so we've had a wonderful combat experience where almost NOTHING has happened for 3 turns. Them's the breaks of dice-driven combat resolution I'm afraid. You're best bet is to hedge your bets and use and gain Advantage.

Actually, there is something *I* can do and I think it's called for - Corban and Xara gain Inspiration (if they didn't already have it). You can spend that before your roll to gain Advantage (roll 2d20, take the better). You gain Inspiration for RPing well, and the two of you have been RPing DAMNED well, especially given that nothing has happened, you've kept a lot of the life in the particular exchange you're engaged in.
Jul 27, 2015 4:42 pm
Thanks Candi, that should help. I've still been enjoying myself and as you said before I think, Corban has still kept three hobgoblins busy for a time.
Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm
Looks like I'm going to get tuned up shortly
Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Hello everyone!

I'm leaving tonight with my wife and son to vacation in Alaska for a week with her family! As you may expect, my availability to post most likely will be nonexistent. We return late in the evening on 4 August and will be looking forward to update the next day. Please PC my character as needed.

See everyone in a week!
Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm
Have a great trip!
Jul 27, 2015 7:43 pm
Have fun, Arjen!

Woohoo, Xara got one hit in! Now she can die happy.
Jul 27, 2015 8:42 pm
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!
Damn dice.

Rolls

test 1 - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

test 2 - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

test 3 - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Jul 27, 2015 8:49 pm
Sorry, I passed the torch to you. Only one of us is allowed to roll high at a time!
Jul 27, 2015 9:56 pm
Have a fun trip Arjen!
Jul 28, 2015 2:40 pm
When I'm engaged, do I provoke opportunity attacks for firing a ranged spell?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.