OOC Megathread

load previous
Sep 12, 2015 10:28 pm
Started listening to Dungeon Master's Block podcast and there's a paladin episode that's giving me ideas for Kaiakas.
I don't suppose we'll happen to find a temple of Tyr or similar deity when we level again? Thinking about going to a temple to take my oath.
Also, does anyone else listen to gaming podcasts? I listen to Gamers Table, RPG Academy, NPC cast, and Game Master's Journey.
Last edited September 12, 2015 10:42 pm
Sep 12, 2015 10:37 pm
Just a good ol' temple to Tyr?
Sep 12, 2015 11:44 pm
Eh, it's just an initial thought. Could be one for any of the Triad (Torm, Tyr, Ilmater), but perhaps there doesn't need to be a temple, per se. Kaiakas could just take some "alone time" and meditate/commune w/ Tyr and take his oath. Maybe be given some sort of symbol that his church would recognize as Tyr accepting his oath? Oh, I like that. Anyway, just some thoughts. :)
Sep 13, 2015 5:35 pm
Well, I'm always happy to help enrich character development, so we'll see what we can do as we get near level 3 :)
Sep 14, 2015 2:40 am
Looks like level 3 might be a big one for a few of us :) I love your idea for Kaiakas exemplar, I've always loved paladins for some reason and that sounds awesome.
Sep 14, 2015 2:51 am
I love what WoTC has done with the classes in 5e. These options make them not boring (as I kinda thought of paladin before). I noticed how a lot of the classes had them kinda become fully around level 3. I like that. Immediately after reading through the class descriptions when I first got my PHB, I wanted to play either a Tiefling paladin (hello Kaiakas) or a Dragonborn monk.
Sep 14, 2015 3:03 am
Oh wow, a dragonborn monk would be pretty awesome. Breath weapon, followed by angry dragon fists? Yup, might have to try that some day.
Sep 14, 2015 3:16 am
I just have the free .pdf. One of these days I'll go to a store and buy the PHB so I can see what all the options are...
Sep 14, 2015 3:21 am
I highly recommend it. Amazon is my friend since the closest game store is 30 miles away.
Sep 14, 2015 9:07 am
The PHB is definitely a good buy. Especially before you hit level 3. I'm not sure if all of the Rogue paths are in the free document, of course my favourite - the Swashbuckler, isn't in the PHB either. It's in Unearthed Arcana (official supplements released for free). The full list is on this page:

D&D Resource List

The specific document you will be interested in is here:

Waterborn Adventures
Sep 14, 2015 9:12 am
Also, great tactics Corban and Kaiakas! That was a terrible turn for the hobgoblins (they are within an inch of their life, with 1 and 2 hp respectively; AC 18 - so you know if you hit and kill; feel free to take the liberty to describe it if you do).

Haven't heard from Rurik in 4 days (that was his last post in this game), but instead of GMPCing him, I've decided he can take two turns at once (a bit spaced out perhaps, still shaking off that mighty hangover maybe). Gotta keep the game marching on!
Sep 16, 2015 9:55 am
I'm liking this "if only one player is left and 24hours since the last post or so have gone by, monsters act and the 'slow' player gets 2 turns on their next post" approach to combat. Helps keep the pace moving, and gives people the flexibility to live their lives and also play :)
Sep 16, 2015 10:09 am
Would Kaiakas be able to move around the worgs - opposite Corban - so as to flank them? I'm thinking that's moving within threatened areas so it's just like 5 ft steps.
Sep 16, 2015 10:48 am
As long as you stay engaged with everyone, yes you can (so I'll say you can circle around). Flanking, in 5e, doesn't mechanically do anything (as such, the maneuver is welcome descriptive detail and I'm not going to mechanically punish you for it!).
Sep 16, 2015 11:20 am
Huh, I thought flanking gave advantage or something like that. Oh well.I'll be able to hit both enemies from there I think.
Sep 16, 2015 12:01 pm
Nope. That's you're 3.5 intuitions tingling :) Some GMs make houserules for flanking, things like while Flanking you can take the Help Action to give a flanking Character Advantage. I'd be happy with that in fact.
Sep 16, 2015 2:30 pm
Darn that confusing 3.5e intuition! Always making me think of something that doesn't work anymore. I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't... nope, wait. Wrong line. Carry on.
Sep 18, 2015 11:39 pm
We can't hit anything can we right now?!
Sep 18, 2015 11:48 pm
nope. :(
Sep 19, 2015 7:04 am
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you got through that without a single injury.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.