OOC Megathread

load previous
Dec 7, 2015 3:24 pm
....so how does damage work now in 5E, am I dropped to 0 and the extra damage ignored or am I just this side of alive at -9?
Dec 7, 2015 3:27 pm
First, you check to see if you die outright (did you go to - half your maximum? If yes. Dead). If you didn't, then your HP is set to 0 and you are merely Dying. Then, your turn consists of rolling a death save: roll 1d20. On a 20 you wake up with 1 HP. On a 10+ you score a 'success'. On
Dec 7, 2015 3:30 pm
Oops. It's negative max, not half max. Just checked the book, page 197 is the rule:

Instant Death
Massive damage can kill you instantly. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum.
Dec 7, 2015 3:36 pm
Oh whew, if it were negative max I'd be toast, but right now I'm just 4 points from toast
Dec 7, 2015 3:36 pm
So then your HP is set to 0, and you make a death save.
Dec 7, 2015 4:06 pm
Well.....phooey
Dec 7, 2015 4:17 pm
I just realized that when I selected my Favored Enemy of Goblin, I could have selected a second humanoid type. Would it be possible to add Hobgoblin to the list?

It doesn't help in combat, of course, but it seems appropriate.
Dec 7, 2015 4:22 pm
I'd think they are already included the class of humanoid you should have written down is 'Goblinoid' (Goblinoid = Goblins and Hobgoblins, and also Bugbears). Hobgoblins are to Goblinoid as Deep Dwarves are to Dwarf. But you do, indeed, have one more humanoid type to add to your list!
Dec 7, 2015 4:31 pm
Ah, that makes sense. I'll add Kobold, since it would make sense for Paws to defend her community from them.
Dec 9, 2015 12:58 pm
Zaris: Do you mean to target the captain (engaged with Pawetha) or one of the two hobgoblins standing on the bridge ?
Dec 9, 2015 1:48 pm
The dice roller is punishing me for playing at ranger. Time to play my part properly and take some dragon claws to the face.
Dec 9, 2015 9:56 pm
Candi says:
Zaris: Do you mean to target the captain (engaged with Pawetha) or one of the two hobgoblins standing on the bridge ?
The one on the map directly west of me (up on the map)
Last edited December 9, 2015 9:57 pm
Dec 9, 2015 9:57 pm
Ahh yes that one. So none on the ones I thought you were targeted - you're targeted the one that 'dodged' the dragon poison breath. Got it! :) He's dead :P
Dec 9, 2015 9:58 pm
Candi says:
Ahh yes that one. So none on the ones I thought you were targeted - you're targeted the one that 'dodged' the dragon poison breath. Got it! :) He's dead :P
We are talking about the one west on the map (using the maps cardinal directions as written. i.e., up)
Dec 9, 2015 10:01 pm
Yeah. The one right between the towers.
Dec 9, 2015 10:01 pm
Candi says:
Yeah. The one right between the towers.
Okay. Good!
Dec 10, 2015 9:49 am
Edited my last post because rolls.
Sorry I haven't been active much lately. New job is 50 hrs/week and I didn't realize how much of my time that would eat up.
Dec 10, 2015 4:21 pm
Would I be able to swing at the dragon with my short sword for the opportunity attack? Then make another melee attack on the captain? I think I can't switch to a bow for a ranged attack on the dragon without incurring disadvantage due to the captain's proximity.
Dec 10, 2015 4:29 pm
Yup you can do that. The opportunity attack uses your 'reaction' from the previous round, which doesn't stop you from making attacks on your next turn.

You are also correct about the bow. It would be an attack at disadvantage due to being in melee. Probably better to just take out the captain or the hobgoblin beside him.
Dec 10, 2015 9:21 pm
Hey unique_exemplar, high five for team unconscious!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.