OOC Megathread

load previous
Mar 31, 2016 2:39 am
So, now that I'm actually prepping the next chapter, I have some information that might affect you decision to walk vs take boats. Here's a Handy Map of the Elsir Vale (CancerMan might want to add this one to the collection, it's simpler make it easier for figuring out travel and distances, I find anyway).

It's 50 miles up the river to lake Rhest, then another 80 miles across the Blackfens to reach the old city. Taking the boats down the river, you can average about 12 miles per day according to the adventure, but I'll round that down to 4 days to reach lake Rhestin (which puts you in the Blackfens). Crossing the Blackfens on foot is another 80 miles, at 15 miles walking distance per day which is 5 days (rounding down because I'm nice, so very nice... ; ) ).

If you walked through the woods, looking at the PHB, and treating the woods as difficult terrain, you could do 15 miles per day (still 4 days, but you won't have a boat should you decide to cross the lake instead of the Blackfens), and in fact you could go 'direct', which is about 100 miles instead of 130 were you to take the river first then walk... So 6.7 days, which I'll round up to 7 days because if you don't take a boat you have to cross the river somewhere (and I'll assume that takes .3 of a day to manage safely). So walking is in fact the best... cool!

So we all know it's: 7 days journey total, 3.5 days in the Witchwood followed by 3.5 days in the Blackfens.

From your conversation with the Lion of Brindol, you know the blockade is roughly at the part on the Rhest Trail where you see the road fork (just beyond the edge of the Witchwood). If you want to go directly there, it will be 80 miles from Drellen's Ferry, and so only take 5.5 days, all of that is through the Witchwood.
Mar 31, 2016 2:47 am
With Paws, the woods wouldn't count as difficult terrain. Would that help with travel time?
Mar 31, 2016 2:48 am
Does that rate of travel through the woods take into account Pawetha's ability, where difficult terrain does not slow the group's movement?
Mar 31, 2016 2:51 am
CancerMan says:
Does that rate of travel through the woods take into account Pawetha's ability, where difficult terrain does not slow the group's movement?
I did not take that into account. Damn, 5e rangers are badass! That halves the walking times, so 3.5 days direct to the ruined city of Rhest or 2.5 days direct to the roadblock.

Also, Chapter 2 thread second post updated... you're all in a fight now.
Mar 31, 2016 2:57 am
Candi says:
I did not take that into account. Damn, 5e rangers are badass! That halves the walking times, so 3.5 days direct to the ruined city of Rhest or 2.5 days direct to the roadblock.
Just for you, next character I make for one of your games, I'll roll up a desert or sea ranger even if we're set in the arctic.
Mar 31, 2016 3:02 am
CancerMan says:
Candi says:
Just for you, next character I make for one of your games, I'll roll up a desert or sea ranger even if we're set in the arctic.
Lol, don't get me wrong, I love rangers (Variant Ranger, actually, I'm quite fond of -- wish WotC would detail that alternate class all the way to level 20 to be honest). I'm also extra happy that the class ability has made a difference for the group (if you haven't gathered, this is an adventure where time really is of the essence. You've essentially made up for the time 'spent' waiting for the blacksmith to finish the short sword and studded leather by being a Ranger and deciding to walk).

My face to face DnD group just finished Rise of Tiamat, and the ranger's special forest/mountain/hill powers didn't ever really make a difference (in part because, especially when compared to The Red Hand of Doom, Rise of Tiamat is a piece of trash adventure... I am REALLY happy we're done, and we only finished because I like to finish things). It's nice when your special feature is actually useful.
Mar 31, 2016 3:21 am
Rolling for HP and I've increased my Dex.

Rolls

HP - (1d8+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Mar 31, 2016 3:22 am
Ya'll are a lot more dextrous now, I take it. Bring on the tightropes! ;)
Mar 31, 2016 7:43 am
I don't exactly trust these virtual dice. Is it ok if I take the average hp increase of 6 (1d10)? Oh, and I +1 my strength (yay 16!)
Mar 31, 2016 11:16 am
I think a couple of people said they are adding +1 to an attribute, you get two +1 attributes (and you can put them on the same attribute). So if you only took a +1, take +1 more!

And yes, you can either roll for hit points or take the average (don't forget to also add your con modifier).
Mar 31, 2016 2:39 pm
I can't remember, are feats an option on this game?
Mar 31, 2016 2:46 pm
Yup, feats are an option.
Mar 31, 2016 2:48 pm
We get TWO points to increase ability scores?? COOL.
Mar 31, 2016 4:37 pm
Took the average hp, increased int and wis, will update spells when I get to my phb.
Mar 31, 2016 10:39 pm
@Candi, I think that's how that's suppose to work. I took my attack action, then moved up to the owlbear and then used Ki to use flurry of blows. Hopefully I am right there.
Mar 31, 2016 10:42 pm
As it's not a critical moment, but just a random encounter, we'll take it this time - but looking at the wording of flurry of blows I don't think you can attack -> move -> ki, flurry.
Quote:
Flurry of Blows
Immediately after you take the Attack action on your turn, you can spend 1 ki point to make two unarmed strikes as a bonus action.
The crucial qualifier is 'immediately'.
Mar 31, 2016 10:59 pm
OK, sorry for stretching the wording a bit to far. In the future could I attack with my spear then drop it and attack with Flurry of blows?
Mar 31, 2016 11:01 pm
You don't even have to drop it, I'd say. As long as you have hands, or even feet, available, I'm happy to let you keep it in hand. The problem in this case is that you wouldn't have been able to throw the spear while in melee with the other owlbear (well, you could've, but it would have been at disadvantage).
Mar 31, 2016 11:03 pm
Cool Cool. Thanks
Apr 1, 2016 1:57 am
Can I use step of the wind. 1 Ki to dodge one of those attacks or would I have to do that defore their turn? Otherwise I'm at -2 hp.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.