Outside of Boltic: Chapter 1

load previous
Jul 2, 2015 5:37 pm
Galena accepts her drink when the waitress brings it, sits quietly and drinks. Not ignoring the man at her table but not offering to continue the conversation on her own.
Jul 6, 2015 2:32 pm
Having set up camp (no fire - nighttime in these southlands are quite balmy compared to home) Urthask gives Arktos the haunch of the deer they caught the other day. He himself munches on the last of the bison jerky. After their meal the young rider strips off his armor but keeps his weapons at hand. He leans against the bear's warm flank and wonders for the thousandth time about Galazur and the Lost Riders. Where are they now? Have they found what it is that they seek? Urthask longs to hear their voices again. What tales they would tell!
Jul 8, 2015 1:13 pm
With a bit of small talk and a possible job offer in the morrow Graddy was a bit out of options for topics. He could ask a bit about the lady's past but that might be a touché subject. Granted that means he'd have to cough up a bit of his past as well. After a side glance toward his new possible work associate he nodded and drank his mead and people watched. Being able to be quiet was oddly refreshing. Actually it was pretty easy to remain perfectly still when not drinking and look around the tavern.
Jul 11, 2015 12:25 am
As Urthask lets his mind wander he is brought back to earth with a polite cough from across his camp. He is unsure how the heavily cloaked man now sitting across from him arrived unnoticed by himself and Arktos both. A masculine voice speaks from beneath the hood, "Just sitting here won't help you find your lost clansmen, I did hear some tales of them and can help if you're willing to join a few people in completing a task for me."
Jul 11, 2015 7:01 am
OOC: Urthask didn't light a campfire. :-)
Startled & angry, both bear and half-orc scramble to their feet and take defensive stance. "What?! Who goes there? How do you know of Urthask, son of Galazur?!!"
Last edited July 17, 2015 5:06 pm
Jul 12, 2015 5:40 pm
Ooc: whoops, camp implies fire to me, problem edited.

Careful now young warrior, I'd hate for there to be a misunderstanding between us. And I keep track of the people who would search for the ruins of graystone.
Jul 13, 2015 8:06 am
Instead of relaxing, Urthask tenses up. "Your name. Tell me, stranger. You know of Galazur's Riders?"
Jul 13, 2015 9:47 pm
"Call me Bane if you like. I know of a misguided group of half-orks that rode their bears into the plains towards the ruins of Graystone. What fate they met there I have no idea of, but I have knowledge that will help you survive to discover their fates. That is if you're interested." Bane holds up his empty hands as he speaks to the tense Urthask.
Jul 15, 2015 4:09 am
Urthask lowers his weapon but stays wary. "I'm listening."
Last edited July 15, 2015 4:11 am
Jul 16, 2015 12:18 am
"This is an exchange, which means I need something from you as well." As he starts to talk Bane pulls a rolled scroll out from his robe. "What I need from you is for you to agree to search within Graystone for an item of interest to me. You'll be able to search for your clansmen while you're there, because they did at least make it to the entrance before I lost track of them. However you'll also need to work with a small group of people that are going to help you survive while you're within, some of them have signed this contract and the others missed the meeting and will have to do so in the morning when they set out. If you agree to my terms I'll give you information that will help you find Graystone and to survive what is there. Do we have a deal?" By the end of this Bane has also pulled out a quill and ink while passing the scroll to Urthask.
Jul 17, 2015 5:01 pm
Urthask takes the scroll and reads. "My people speak solemn oaths and those oaths we keep. I'll sign your paper, little man, but it means nothing to me. I will return your lost bauble to you." Urthask signs his name, then points up at the stars. "This I swear on the Great Bear and the ashes of my ancestors. Urthask, son of Galazur, swears this." He hands the contract back to Bane. "In addition to the promised reward you will tell me what you know of Graystone and of my lost clansmen."

After a pause he adds, "Also, I am low on supplies."
Last edited July 17, 2015 5:07 pm
Jul 23, 2015 11:36 pm
Bane chuckles, "I will tell you of Graystone in the morning when I tell your companions outside of the wayhouse in Boltic. You can spend the night there or here, whichever you prefer. You will also be resupplied since you need it. Also your down payment." Here he pauses to toss a large gem to Urthask. "As for your lost clansmen, I know that they entered the ruins of Graystone a fortnight ago. Perhaps a week before that the Plainspeople attacked them only one of your clansmen fell and a dozen of their foes were slaughtered before fleeing. This is where I believe that they first heard of the lost city, as the Plainspeople are it's guardian. They were well stocked with supplies and as well prepared as they could have been not knowing what lies within. As to their current condition I do not know, that depends on what they have encountered."
Jul 24, 2015 6:18 am
Urthask examines the gem briefly before pocketing it reverently, hoping his excitement isn't too obvious to the stranger. His people never cared very much for gold or silver. Gems, however...gems represented the celestial bodies. Outsiders often think of his tribe as brutish barbarians, hardly more civilized than animals, but his people are warrior poets, composing epic skalds and songs telling of mighty deeds and the beauty of the land they call home. Furthermore, the frostkin are astronomers. The tundra is littered with stone circles and monoliths, complex monuments built by his ancestors, that study the movements of the heavens, and tracking the journey of the sun across the sky, marking equinox and solstice. This star sapphire that this stranger Bane has just given him is precious. The renewed hope of finding the Lost Riders is even more so.

"You and the others you've contracted will find us here in the morning." Urthask says, his hand on Arktos' great neck.
Last edited July 27, 2015 11:27 am
Aug 3, 2015 10:59 pm
Bane shrugs and walks into the shadows. As Galena and Graddy eye each other over their drinks Bane walks into the Wayhouse and sits at their table. He still wears his hood and his face remains hidden within. "You missed the meeting Graddy, what delayed you?"
Aug 4, 2015 4:17 pm
"Either I showed up late or went to the wrong clearing I’m guessing, can’t say knowing my way around backwoods would be my strong suite." Graddy explained in an even tone, it wasn’t apologetic or accusing really before he paused and finished his mug,

"Lady here stated someone had a bit of work where more boots might be needed, I’m figure if the offer still stands as long as it’s not running around trying to find clearings in the forest I’m up for the job if it pays well. I’ve already meet the short wanker specializing in giving people the stink eye. If I’m hired I figure we’re headed off somewhere in the morning, do a task, get payment on completion. Then we’ll be ‘s right as rain mate." Graddy added eying the possible employer.

People with secrets weren’t really something Graddy got curious about, as long as they paid up and it didn’t lead to a double cross he didn’t really care if it was a group of intelligent forest creatures messing with them, just as long as they paid well in the end.
Aug 8, 2015 7:06 pm
Within his hood Bane grins the grin of a predator, "Why you were late is no longer really of any concern to me, since you were not intercepted as it seems so many others were. The lady is under contract by me as I'd like you to be and also correct in thinking we will be needing more... boots." Here Bane pauses to slide the scroll across the table towards Graddy, "As long as you are willing to agree with the terms within than sign on the line provided and you will start tomorrow morning."
Aug 10, 2015 5:30 pm
Graddy shrugged and took the parchment unfirling in and giving it a once over. "Right well isn’t it grand we could clear all that up…" Graddy stated giving it a once over, "looks propa so ‘ou want it signed ‘n blood o ink mate?" Graddy inquired tapping the scroll and the a aforementioned line, "Seemed to not bring a quill with me." he added.

(OoC: No idea if Graddy can actually read though... XD Ha!)
Aug 10, 2015 9:44 pm
Bane slides ink and a quill across the table to Graddy, "Ink will suffice."
Aug 11, 2015 11:46 am
Graddy nodded and picked up the quill and dabbed into the ink scrawling out his mark. "Well with that done I'm off to bed contract won't complete itself. Boss... Blue.." he stated before standing and nodding back to the two before leaving. Graddy talked to the proprietor for a room for the night. Taking off his armor once in the room he crashed hard falling fast asleep with a knife still in his hand. Visions of riches after the job dancing through his mind.
Aug 11, 2015 11:01 pm
Galena too calls it a night seeing as nothing interesting was likely to happen. In her room she contemplated what the next day will bring. She also hesitates to dismiss her eidolon, but In the end decides to do it and sleep one last night as herself, alone before the long weeks of the adventure that are sure to come.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.