Charater Creation Questions

load previous
Jun 11, 2015 2:46 am
Bek Oldgallow is a Halfing Inquisitor (Witch Hunter, Preacher). He is used to running through the shadows and striking from surprise. Don't have much of a backstory for him yet but he's Neutral Good. Also, the character sheet interface wasn't allowing me to add an eighth skill so I had to put it in the notes.
Jun 12, 2015 1:48 am
Okay, have you posted this in the bug section in the forums?
Jun 12, 2015 3:27 am
I'm new to site and have only been here about a month. Didn't know there was a bug section. You can consider it reported though.
Jun 21, 2015 5:31 pm
Thanks for having me here! Never played Pathfinder but played D&D3.5 for 10 years :-D Downloading the rulebooks now and will roll up a character soon :-)
Jun 22, 2015 3:22 pm
Been reading the Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's guide, Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat, looking mostly at classes and archetypes. It's a lot to take in but some fun ideas that jump out at me are the Roofrunner (might be useless outside of an urban setting), the Beast Rider (T-rex mount, anyone?), and the Bladebound Magus (Elric!)
Jun 22, 2015 8:29 pm
Noticed I got added. Pushed my character out there. If the GM says I'm good I'm ready to start whenever.
Jun 23, 2015 1:03 am
Hey guys, thanks for joining I'm happy to be up to 5 players. Whenever I approve your characters feel free to jump into the thread we started before we had 5 players.

Jabes: This isn't largely a urban setting, though there are cities that you will be in at times. I'm going to say no to dinosaurs on principle... Bladebound Magus I have no problems with.

Remnant: You've been approved
Jun 23, 2015 12:46 pm
Shakka_Kairn says:
Jabes: This isn't largely a urban setting, though there are cities that you will be in at times. I'm going to say no to dinosaurs on principle... Bladebound Magus I have no problems with.
Just playing around here...
*Would you consider a Roofrunner with enough skill to also pull that off in the treetops?
*Ok, dinosaurs are out, that's ok. There are other cool options for mounts :-)
*How do you feel about the Spellslinger?
*Which method are you allowing for generating ability scores?

Thanks!
Last edited June 23, 2015 12:47 pm
Jun 23, 2015 3:57 pm
*Which method are you allowing for generating ability scores?

I think he said 75 points to split up (stats start at 0 each) and it's 1:1 coversion... no?
Jun 23, 2015 4:05 pm
Yeah, thats the way.
Jun 24, 2015 8:32 pm
I have no problems with spellslinger. Roofrunner can do trees, with a slightly higher DC due to the nature of the branches verses that of roofs.
Jun 27, 2015 7:47 am
So sorry, been incredibly busy. Will submit a character and if approved, first post this weekend.

So since this is my first time with PF I wanted to do one of several character concepts I've not played before. But also because I'm new to the system, nothing too fiddly either. Magus attracted me most, but I've played plenty of spellcaster/swordsmen before. Spellslinger looks way fun but a little fiddly and looking at party composition we seem to be lacking a tank so I'm going with the other concept that caught my eye early on: Beast Rider. Don't worry, no dinosaurs! Is there any way the starting mount can NOT be a horse or camel? Doesn't have to be powerful, just NOT BORING! Even just a refluff. I don't know, an elk or a zebra or something? :-)

EDIT: Oh heck, I just discovered the Dragoon and Roughrider fighter archetypes! Are exotic mounts available for these classes as well (without taking the Monstrous Mount feat)? I just wanna ride monsters, man! If either of these options will let me ride warbeasts I might do that instead of the cavalier.
Last edited June 27, 2015 1:41 pm
Jun 27, 2015 2:24 pm
Give me some creatures that aren't to exotic but still not standard and I will let you know which ones are good.
Jun 27, 2015 2:34 pm
Shakka_Kairn says:
Give me some creatures that aren't to exotic but still not standard and I will let you know which ones are good.
I don't know where to look (which book) for unusual mounts. Would tigers and such qualify? Also, everyone on the internet is going with halflings & rogues because large mounts can't fit in dungeons. I say that's totally up to the DM. I'd rather play a human but if he's going to get nerfed most of the time because he had to leave his mount behind well then this concept is no good.

EDIT: Giant lizard maybe? Bear? Dire wolf? Giant beetle?
Last edited June 27, 2015 3:20 pm
Jun 27, 2015 11:25 pm
If you're mount is not taller than you it can fit, but you might not be able to ride it. I do have some underground/dungeon areas but I have a variety of terrain. The beastiary would be a good place to look.
Jun 28, 2015 10:00 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/7a/83/03/7a8303f9948871f2744ba7b2cf9f3322.jpg

Ok, I've submitted Bukol, son of Umbag for approval. He's a half-orc cavalier (Beast Rider archetype). Order of the Beast...not the best order in terms of abilities but I chose this anyway just for flavor. I actually considered creating my own Order and submitting it for approval but that might get too fiddly.

He's (maybe) a bit more intelligent and a bit more cultured than the average half-orc but the orc blood in him is strong and he's constantly fighting the wildness in him. Forewarning: this guy is going to multiclass Barbarian (Mounted Fury archetype).

I haven't bought any equipment as I'm unsure how much money I have to start with. The book says 5d6x10 or average 175gp for cavaliers. Do we roll starting wealth or do we just use the average?

Ok, the mount. I've gone through the bestiaries and decided not to go too fancy. There's a whole bunch of options that I liked but I think a dire boar or a worg would be most appropriate flavor-wise. I'm going to need help with the mount stats.

Thanks!

Sources used:
Core Rulebook
Advanced Player's Guide
Ultimate Combat
Advanced Class Guide
Bestiary 1
Animal Companions
Last edited June 28, 2015 10:18 pm

Rolls

Starting wealth - (5d6)

(65214) = 18

Jun 28, 2015 10:26 pm
Both are good mounts, let me look at my books for the rest.
Jun 28, 2015 11:11 pm
Use max starting gold for first level. The stats should be what they say in the beastiary, and I'm going to retcon the last post, go with the dire bear as the worgs are evil and Pathfinder seems to have downside them a bit unless they are winter wolf worgs. If you can come up with some backstory for the winter wolf worg to be good than I'll allow it.
Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm
I actually said "boar," not "bear," but when you said winter wolf an idea came to me of how he came to have a winter wolf worg mount or a dire bear (perhaps re-skinned as a polar bear?) and that got me all excited!

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0357/82/1414405922086.jpg

I'm still writing it up but the story is basically this:
-Bukol is from a northern tribe of half-orc barbarians & druids.
-Either their tribe's warriors routinely use polar bears as mounts or they use dire wolves but Bukol's mentor raised a winter wolf worg cub and passed it on to him.
-His mentor also established the Order of the Bear (or Wolf, depending on which mount you'll allow). This is just a re-skin of the cavalier Order of the Dragon. The order created a new kind of warrior which caused some division in the tribe. Some regarded these Beast Riders with awe but hardcore protectors of the old ways regarded them with scorn.
-Mentor traveled to the southlands on a mission but didn't return. Bukol followed to learn what became of him.
-I mentioned before that Bukol will eventually multiclass into Mounted Fury. I'm not optimizing here. What I'm seeing is his eventual acceptance of his heritage and embracing some of the old ways. But this will all come much later. For now he's dedicated to his Order and his mentor.
Last edited June 30, 2015 4:31 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.