Charater Creation Questions

Jun 1, 2015 5:51 am
So, I thought I'd go ahead and start the conversation.
Jun 1, 2015 6:23 am
My first questions are the basics of course.

1.) What method should be used to generate ability scores?

2.) What is everyone playing?
I know that I want to play a Changeling. I'm not sure what book the race is originally from, but I have a link HERE. It is an official pathfinder site so I hope it is acceptable.

As far as class, I can't make up my mind. I am torn between Synthesist(Summoner), Gravewalker(Witch), and Oracle.
Jun 2, 2015 12:46 am
Use the point buy method 75 points for abilities.
Jun 2, 2015 12:53 am
I will allow changelings. I'd like to know which archetypes you were leaning towards
Jun 2, 2015 5:48 am
Shakka_Kairn says:
I will allow changelings. I'd like to know which archetypes you were leaning towards
I am leaning heavily toward the Sea Hag racial type, the Sea Lung power sounds pretty nice.
Jun 2, 2015 10:59 pm
Shouldn't be a problem go for it. I can only find the oracle class, do you have books for the others.
Jun 3, 2015 5:11 am
Synthesist is a Summoner Archetype and Gravewalker is a Witch archetype. They can be found in the Ultimate Magic book I think. If not you can follow the same link I provided for the Changeling race above and find them on that site. I use an app on my android phone made by the same site. It has all of it loaded but the annotations for the different books is not always easy to figure out.
Jun 3, 2015 9:18 pm
Got them, I was looking in the wrong books. Those look okay to me.
Jun 4, 2015 1:44 am
Well I built the synthesist and gravewalker. I put them both in the library. The game is set to to 0 characters so I can't submit them to the game. If you are waiting for more players I understand. But I'm ready to go.
Jun 4, 2015 3:12 pm
I will fix that thanks
Jun 10, 2015 4:03 am
I am working on a Halfling Inquisitor presently. Just a forewarning, I haven't played much Pathfinder. I am sifting through my options and I did have a question: unless I am reading this wrong, 75 point buy for stats is pretty much OP. I could have four stats at 18 with that. Is that a typo or and I allowed to go crazy?
Jun 10, 2015 5:23 am
Well...I obviously can't speak for the GM here...but yes the 75 points could be spent that way, but why would you want to? If you are new to Pathfinder (or the D&D 3/3.5 it spawned from) maybe you don't know that if you take Ability Score Damage that reduces an Ability score to 0 you are incapacitated until you have time to heal. Charisma is the only Ability I personally could argue this rule shouldn't apply to, but it is written that way. There are, of course, ways to avoid this issue. Low level creatures rarely do Ability score damage. Reading the Minster Manual and learning what creatures to avoid is an option. But you'd still have to deal with the penalties to two scores that might make your character unplayable. A two in Strength means you can barely walk upright in normal clothes, add armor and you are a lump on the ground. Low dexterity means no Reflex saves, and you probably trip over your own feet. Constitution adds to your HP, and subtracts. A bad roll on the HD and you are dead. And then there is your Fortitude save to consider. Without at least a 3 in Intelligence you are not functionally sentient. Most cows have a 2, dogs are a 4 or 5. Wisdom adds to will saves, and you wouldn't be able to ituit your way out of a paper bag. Charisma makes you charming , sociable and good looking. A 3 in this score would mean children run screaming at the sight of you.

I'm sure you don't plan on min/maxing with four 18s, but there is a very good reason why you shouldn't. Characters quickly become unplayable if your Abilities aren't relatively balanced. Your question isn't stupid. If you've never played a d20 system like this one it does seem odd, but it does balance itself out.
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:24 am
Jun 10, 2015 5:37 am
I may have a different table but my stats are 18, 18, 16, 16, 16, 16. I'm using the table here which may be wrong. I have played DnD since '00 and while I haven't played much pathfinder, I find it hard to believe that a party of 2 such characters couldn't rule the world.
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:47 am
Jun 10, 2015 5:40 am
Also, don't get me wrong, I totally will play a character with those stats . . . it just seems . . . over 9000 level of strong.
Jun 10, 2015 5:44 am
Question for the GM: I am trying to consider a choice between Archetypes. I definitely want to get Preacher but am trying to decide between Vampire Hunter or Witch Hunter. What would be the bigger threat in this world? I'm guessing undead but that's only based on not being able to play them as pcs.
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:46 am
Jun 10, 2015 5:51 am
themightykobold says:
I may have a different table but my stats are 18, 18, 16, 16, 16, 16. I'm using the table here which may be wrong. I have played DnD since '00 and while I haven't played much pathfinder, I find it hard to believe that a party of 2 such characters couldn't rule the world.
Ah...isee the issue now. That chart assumes a starting point of 10 and then you get points based on the smaller chart below. Our 75 points is based on a starting point of 0 for all the scores then add in racial modifiers. Or that was the method I used. "Start at 0. Points are 1:1 then add racial modifies."
Jun 10, 2015 10:15 pm
foolsmask says:
themightykobold says:
Ah...isee the issue now. That chart assumes a starting point of 10 and then you get points based on the smaller chart below. Our 75 points is based on a starting point of 0 for all the scores then add in racial modifiers. Or that was the method I used. "Start at 0. Points are 1:1 then add racial modifies."
Thank you foolsmask, you've actually answered all of these questions as I would have. Yes 75 is above average but a commoner has a 10 in everything and I am assuming that you are all above an average commoner.
Jun 10, 2015 10:22 pm
themightykobold says:
Question for the GM: I am trying to consider a choice between Archetypes. I definitely want to get Preacher but am trying to decide between Vampire Hunter or Witch Hunter. What would be the bigger threat in this world? I'm guessing undead but that's only based on not being able to play them as pcs.
You have never heard of vampires except as perhaps a myth, so no to Vampire Hunter. Witch hunter is Okay.
Jun 10, 2015 11:39 pm
Quote:
You have never heard of vampires except as perhaps a myth
Right, it's more that he hunts undead. I'm sure there are undead in the world that he would have heard of right? Witch hunter is not hunting witches but magic users in general.

I'm cool with Witch Hunter but it seems that the Vampire Hunter could simply be renamed to fit whatever undead exist in this world that I would have had contact with.
Jun 11, 2015 12:12 am
Undead are not largely a well known thing in this world. The have been mostly eradicated due to events in the past and now remain as myths.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.