Adventure Thread - Atarin's Delve

load previous
Jun 17, 2015 6:49 pm
Bart stares out at the loch. The wind is blowing in his face and the seas are choppy, sending waves crashing onto the shore. His eagle eyes spy a gull bobbing on the waves, but little else. The uneasy feeling begins to fade.

Herja's axe glows with magical might as she scans the waters. She sees a fishing boat far in the distance, a bird on the water, but nothing else.
Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm
After a fruitless search, Esteber makes his way back to the shore where he finds Herja and Bart in a state of alert.

Um, you guys are alright? You both look a bit on edge here... Anyways, I haven't found any useful clues rummaging through the camp. It seems that whomever did this ransacked the camp pretty thoroughly, as if looking for something, if only valuables to pillage...
Jun 17, 2015 7:28 pm
"Right. Maybe we go check out that smashed mansion, might be we could get a better look at that flag you saw."
Jun 17, 2015 8:10 pm
Herja tears here gaze away from the loch. She nods wordlessly and follows the others.
Jun 17, 2015 9:25 pm
Hmm, indeed. Perhaps survivors took refuge there, who knows.
Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm
From the beach the group can either walk along the shoreline to the cliff face and climb (the red flag being about half way up the cliff), or backtrack up the hill and follow the road to the mansion.
Jun 17, 2015 9:44 pm
Well, no need to make unnecessary climbing... Let's take the road...
Jun 17, 2015 10:01 pm
"Agreed. That cliff looks treacherous."
Jun 17, 2015 11:27 pm
The group backtracks up the grassy hill and back to the trail. You pass several private roads that clearly lead to nice mansions. Finally you near an old estate entrance. The rusting metalwork above the crumbling columns reads "Apperson". The lawn beyond has almost been reclaimed by the wild. You can see the old manor through the trees and brush. The winds blow steadily from the loch beyond.
Jun 17, 2015 11:31 pm
"Well. Let's check it out, shall we?" Bart advances, sword drawn through the bushes toward the manor house.
Jun 18, 2015 3:07 am
The house is obviously abandoned. There are holes in the roof, shingles missing. Timbers on the porch are rotten and splintered. The garden is overgrown with weeds. Beyond the house you see a small area surrounded by a low metal fence. Among the tall weeds you can make out headstones and a small building.

Beyond is the cliff and the loch. You can see quite far from here.
Jun 18, 2015 3:15 am
Herja goes to inspect the headstones.
Jun 18, 2015 10:36 am
This cemetery consists of over two-dozen headstones choked with weeds. There is a crumbling mausoleum at its center, above its door is written "Lord Crandall Apperson".
Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm
Check for a tomb with "Arch Stanton" on it, there should be treasure buried in the "Unknown" tomb next to it! Or so I've heard...

(OCC: A cookie to anyone who gets that reference! :D )

Hmm, Never been to a mansion before. They usually bury their own dead on their property like that?
Jun 18, 2015 3:20 pm
"Has anybody spotted Atarin's dig site yet? Or is it inside this mausoleum?"
Jun 18, 2015 5:33 pm
Carved into the stone of the mausoleum is "Lord Crandall Apperson"
Jun 18, 2015 11:20 pm
Maybe it is in the mausoleum. Who knows, maybe that flag was meant to identify the area of the dig site... I guess there's no harm in peeking inside at the very least... Ladies first!

With his most charming smile, Esteber opens the door or gate (or whatever the entrance is), holds it, and motions Herja to enter.
Jun 18, 2015 11:28 pm
The interior of the mausoleum is simple cut stone. The setting sun illuminates the room. There is a large sarcophagus in the center of the small chamber. Its stone lid is carved to resemble a man in repose.
Jun 21, 2015 1:14 pm
Alden sees the clueless adventurers rummaging through the camp from a window, then he hides again and starts pondering his options.
"It might be safer if I were to join them rather than keeping on playing hide and seek with all those creeps on the cemetery and whatever the hell those lake freaks were, but can't be sure if those adventurers were not sent after me by Lord Greenhill to give me a lesson."

Then he gets closer and starts watching them from behind some crates near the forest.

"Ok I'll have to take some risks here. They have three warriors and and a robed elf, might be a wizard, so if I had to fight them my best chance would be to take the elf down as he is the only one that can fire from the distance and hide in the forest, there I could hunt the rest one by one. I hope not to have to get to that point. Ok little man time for the show." He thinks for himself and starts talking to the adventurers trying to sound important and in control of the situation.

"Freeze there strangers. You are surrounded by my archers!, state your bussiness! who sends you? what are you looking for around this place?, talk or die in rain of arrows!" He then starts aiming at the elf from hs hiding place hoping his little bluff works.
Jun 21, 2015 2:12 pm
We were sent by the Adventurer's Guild. Atarin had hired help to protect him and his archeological dig from unspecified threats he had received. By the looks of things we arrived too late. I assume you're working for whomever made those threats? Where are Atarin and his men?
load next

Thread locked