Adventure Thread - Atarin's Delve

Jun 9, 2015 11:16 pm
You have always had issue with the prospect of a 'normal' life. Ever since you were a child your curiosity and fearlessness have driven you to seek out a different sort of life. This didn't always sit right with your family and community, so for one reason or another, you've chosen to set out on your own. You've grown in your formative years, learning the ways of the sword, the bow, divine or arcane arts.

The Freelands, a loosely governed nation born from a revolt against a corrupt empire, has seen nearly 60 years of peace. Still, in the dark areas between the tilled fields, small villages and large trading towns, the forces of darkness still threaten those who live or walk too close to the fringes.

You have taken to the road to seek your fortune, along the way you've met up with a small handful of like-minded souls. You've found yourself in the lakeside city of Praern, upon Lough Derg, or the Loch as the locals call it. Known for it's fried fish, Praern is a multicultural city where the tough men of the cold wastes, the fur-clad elves of the Hynrur, dwarves from the Shimmer Mountains and Freelanders from the south merge to trade. Surrounded by many wild and untamed areas where bands of goblin, orc and trolls come down from their mountain caves to raid and dotted with haunted ruins of Gorman design; Praern is a safe place where adventurous young men and women can find work.

It's early morning, the fishermen are returning with their daily catch from the Loch. With your pockets empty and you make your way to the town square where you've heard work can be found. Other than barrels of smoked fish, however, you find nothing. About the time you think you may have to find your next meal from a wastebin, a doughy man rolls a cart out into the square. On the cart are piles and piles of warm pastries, steaming in the cool air. A large pot of steaming tea shines in the growing sunlight.

When a suitable crowd gathers he raises a banner. "Adventurer's Guild - Now accepting new members". He then turns to the crowd.
Jun 10, 2015 12:10 am
Ah, finally, some employment! This dry spell of bad luck has lasted long enough. If this keeps up, I won't make it 'till the end of the week! Hmm, it would do all those fair maidens no good should a man as handsome as myself were to die of hunger in the ditch like a lowly vagrant! Let,s see what sort of job they'll have for a man of panache and wit such as myself...

With this, Esteber makes his way to the square...
Last edited June 10, 2015 2:51 pm
Jun 10, 2015 11:15 am
Slae raises an eyebrow his face dark and brooding, then again when isn't the spikey haired wild elf dark and brooding. He is about to verbally abuse his human compatriot yet again when his stomach grumbles and gurgles. Looking down Slae frowns, sinches his robe together at the neck in a move tinged with annoyance and a bit of desperation and slowly lumbers toward the inviting sweets and tea.
Jun 10, 2015 11:44 am
Herja stands in the crowd and feels an uncharacteristic hesitation. She adventures to prove herself, not to grub for food! And yet she is hungry beyond belief. Neither her warpaint nor her perpetual scowl does anything to hide her beauty, which she has come to regard as a weakness. Many a street tough, mountain bandit lord or so-called adventurer has underestimated her, and paid dearly. Still, it irks her. Like that preening peacock of a man strutting up to the food cart. Herja's stomach grumbles again, and she feels faint. She sighs, and shrugs her shield onto her back. She puts on her haughtiest face and, taking care to keep her eyes on the recruiter and not the food, steps forward.
Jun 10, 2015 11:58 am
When about a dozen people have gathered in front of the cart the clerk begins his speech. "Brave warriors, wise wizards, eagle-eyed scouts ... Why waste your time guarding warehouses of fish?

Join the Adventurer's Guild today. The Guild wants to connect you to those who need your abilities, Allowing you to seek the fame and fortune you deserve! With a nominal percentage paid, you will be able to find adventure across the Freelands! " he exclaims, making gestures wildly. "And today ONLY membership processing fees will be waved!

A 10 crown savings -... your hard earned money STAYS in your pockets. Not only that, those of you who agree to join today will enjoy 10 guilder tokens, which can be spent like gold at the blacksmith, weapon, armor and magic shops around town! All of this for a mere 10% share of your found treasure. Anytime you can't find adventure, let us find it for you!

So, if you're interested, come have a roll, some tea and make your mark upon the roster. I have adventures awaiting you today!
Jun 10, 2015 2:56 pm
This all sounds too good to be true my dear friend. Esteber shouts above the crowd so the man can hear. And when it does sound too good to be true, it usually is. So tell me, what is the catch?
Jun 10, 2015 3:21 pm
"There is no catch, brave warrior. Not only will the Guild lead you to fortune and new opportunities, we will protect you! As a member of the guild you are allowed to travel freely without suffering adventurer's tax when you go through fifedoms or realms that make enterprising peoples such as yourself pay for doing what you do best."

"in return, along with the small tithe of your findings, you only need to uphold the values of the guild. No pillaging or highwayman type behavior. You are not a bandit after all, but an adventurer!" With that he pours a mug of tea and hands you one of the biggest sticky buns you've ever seen, dripping in buttery sweet frosting. "For a warrior's appetite!" he smiles.
Jun 10, 2015 3:32 pm
Well, I guess I can always give it a try. I assume that if I end up not finding the guild to my liking, I can easily quit, or is there some sort of severance fee I'll need to pay? Esteber grabs a bun and takes a bit out of it, smiling at it's sweet buttery taste. My compliments to the chef!
Last edited June 10, 2015 3:32 pm
Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm
You can end our agreement at any time, but you won't want to. Step inside!" he smiles, pointing to the Adventurer's Guild building. "ONE BRAVE WARRIOR OFF ON ADVENTURE! Is there no one else?"
Jun 10, 2015 4:19 pm
Bartholemew rubbed his chin as he wandered down the street. Why did they have to get so upset? All I did was suggest that there was no way they'd best me in a bare-knuckle boxing match. Had there been a few more of them it might have been fair scrap...

Shaking the thought from his head, Bart approached the town square. He stood, appraising the growing crowd. He stood tall, his three day beard marking him as some kind of scruffy low life, though his blackened leather armour and the sword at his hip suggested otherwise.

Free rolls, eh? Money for adventuring? Sounds easy enough, Bart thought to himself.

"Hey crier! Got any ale on that cart? I'll take one of those rolls too." Bart holds up his hand as if expecting the clerk to toss the roll the 20 odd feet away to where Bart is standing.

"I think I can get behind a spot of adventuring! The temporary guild coins sound useful as well"
Jun 10, 2015 4:31 pm
"Another brave warrior joins the guild!" the scribe announces, tossing you a roll. "No ale here, but your guilder tokens work at the bars and inns too, if you wish. Please step inside" he smiles
Jun 10, 2015 4:32 pm
The scribe looks at Herja "Young lady...you look as strong as these men...but I think you are something more... Are you interested in joining?"
Jun 10, 2015 5:07 pm
"'Pay a tithe or else you will be taxed! And no banditry, because we've got that covered too!'" Herja scoffs. "I suppose that if I say now that I am uninterested and walk away, not only will I be taxed, I will also be set upon by highwaymen that have conveniently slipped through your so-called protection. The tribal elders were wrong when they said that city folk are all sheep; I see now that some are wolves!"

"I'll take your bait, wolf. But know that I am no sheep: I bite back." Hand on the axe slung at her side, Herja joins the rest, but is too proud to accept the offered buns nor the tea.
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:10 pm
Jun 10, 2015 5:15 pm
My, what do we have here? Well hello there milady, I am Esteber Palmelia, swashbuckler extraordinaire at your service. Putting on his best smile, he does a large curtsy bow, then grab Herja's hand and kisses it. I am honoured to be in the presence of such breathtaking beauty. May I inquire about your name milady?

(OOC: Yes, I know Esteber will get punched... :P )
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:16 pm
Jun 10, 2015 5:24 pm
"Feisty! Step inside miss. the scribe smiles as he points the way to the guild hall.

Some of you enjoy the sweet rolls and warm drink. "Welcome to the Adventurer's Guild, step inside with me and I'll show you what I have for you" he opens the door and motions you inside. He closes the door behind you and you hear the crowd descend upon the sweets cart and liberate the remaining contents and scatter.

The simple room before you features a large oak table and several simple stools around it. A large desk, like that of a magistrate is against the far wall. The scribe goes behind the desk and retrieves a scroll. He steps over to the table and lays out a map, holding it down with your mugs.

(See map in map case)

"As you know the guild receives requests from merchants and other interested parties who wish to hire capable men and women like yourselves. We have a request just in from an esteemed archaeologist named Jerol Atarin. He is at a dig site by the Loch, the northern shore here between Praern and Baram" he states, pointing at the map.

"Atarin has decided to hire a few adventurers to protect his team after he received some veiled threats from unknown sources. We perceive the threat minimal, as this is a safe area with rustic charm - off the 'beaten track' as they say and nearby the summer mansions of several wealthy merchant families. A perfect first assignment for new members like YOU!" he smiles. Atarin has agreed to pay 10 gold each per week for your services until he deems the protection no longer required.

As you know, the guild helps you and you help the guild, which applies a 10% fee to this pay. Upon your return you should pay the guild a meager gold piece per week worked with a signed letter from Atarin stating the number of weeks you were on the job.

As you are hired for protection, and this is an archaeological dig, you are probably not allowed to claim valuables found at the site. You can work all that out with Mr Atarin upon meeting him."

He smiles, sips his tea and asks "Any questions?"
Jun 10, 2015 5:30 pm
Of what nature were the veiled threats?
Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm
"When do we get our guild coins?! There's a beautiful big sword at the blacksmith's I was eyeing" Bartholemew says with an excited grin.

"Some dried up archeo-whatevers can keep their boring artifacts. Maybe we can milk this trip to several weeks. Everybody wins!"
Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm
Herja jerks back the hand that Esteber kissed, balls it into a fist, and puts it back to Esteber's mouth.

[OOC: Do I roll MAT? Hahah! Whoa, my screen didn't refresh, didn't know there were already new posts up after Esteber.]
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:39 pm
Jun 10, 2015 5:46 pm
If you wish to dice a fistfight, feel free

MAT with a OD of +5 unless you are an unarmed master

Otherwise

The scribe looks at Esteber and says "Atarin didn't provide details in his request...but it was enough of a worry that he wishes to have body guards"

He turns to Bart and smiles..."Very good!" he reaches into a pouch at his side and produces a stack of what appear to be steel coins. "These are Guild Credits, tokens for which you can receive an advance in order to purchase equipment, weapons and armor or provisions for your journey. You can use these at Bergmann's across the street. Your first 10 tokens are on the house. Any others will be deducted from your pay. You will receive your pay for protecting Atarin from the Guild. How many would you like, warrior?"
Jun 10, 2015 6:01 pm
[OOC: As much as I as a player hate to break the flow of the story, Herja just cannot let this go....but she misses :-P]
Last edited June 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Rolls

Punching Estebar immediately after the kiss... [MAT=11, OD=13+5] - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 10, 2015 6:07 pm
Esteber feels the wind from a very strong punch fly past his face.
Jun 10, 2015 6:16 pm
Herja realizes she is more weakened from hunger than she thought. She hits Esteber with her nastiest stare instead. In response to the discussion about the guild tokens she takes 15 of them.
Jun 10, 2015 6:37 pm
"I'll take twenty!" Bartholemew proclaims excitedly! "Now we'll definitely need to make sure our 'client' stays well protected for a few weeks!"

"Will the guild provide any rations for the trip out to meet the client?"

OOC: How long will the trip take us?
Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm
"You can purchase supplies for your trip with your guild tokens." the scribe says as he goes over to his desk. He picks up a bracelet for each of you and puts it on your wrist. "This serves as your proof of Adventurer Guild membership and allows you to utilize guild resources around the Freelands. You should wear it at all times. It has no magical properties."

Looking at the map you think it would be a days journey on foot
Jun 10, 2015 7:05 pm
Well, I certainly hope this is not your name... I have heard of the temper of the northern folk. Since we are going to work together, I sincerely hope we can end up getting along. Tell you what, since it seems I've offended you by complimenting you on your stunning beauty somehow, how about I buy you a drink?

(OOC: Is this 10 tokens each or 10 for the whole group?)
Jun 10, 2015 8:07 pm
Herja regards Esteber icily. "We'll get along just fine as long as you keep your hands to yourself. You may call me Herja. I'll buy my own drinks, thank you. Are we all headed for Bergmann's then?" She looks at Slae, who has not claimed any tokens yet.
Last edited June 10, 2015 8:17 pm
Jun 10, 2015 9:15 pm
Enchanted to make your acquaintance Herja, as I said earlier, I am Esteber Palmelia. Sorry, I was merely being polite, but I guess different cultures, different mores... Well, I guess we are all headed there then. I'll go put those tokens to good use and buy myself some more armor, who knows, I might need it...
Jun 11, 2015 12:18 am
Slae stifles a chuckle seeing Estobar's charms backfire so spectacularly. He then takes a bite of the sweet roll looking over the map and pondering the proposition. With a slight shrug, he lifts his head and accepts the offer. This may be just the thing to bring him closer to his goal and these fools errrr friends will do nicely to get him there. If they don't kill each other first.
Jun 11, 2015 1:02 am
Herja glances down at the guild bracelet she allowed to be placed on her wrist. The clerk said it bore no magical properties, but can he and his guild be trusted? What if these were set to scry on them? Herja concentrates on the bracelet, probing it with her mind.

Rolls

Detect Magic (CTN 11) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jun 11, 2015 10:46 am
Herja doesn't see an aura around the bracelet
Jun 11, 2015 3:48 pm
It is a crisp spring day, late morning, when you head out of Praern along the old road that travels around the northern side of the Lough Derg. The road, little more than a path worn by wagon wheels, is empty. Not many people travel by land on the northern shore of the loch. The occasional traveler that you pass nods or smiles, bidding good day as you walk past.

Decisions, decisions...

This trail moves into a hilly region and moves further from the lake as it heads north by northwest.

You could continue upon the road, or choose to walk the shore of the lake. It's clear that at some points along the shoreline it may become a bit more treacherous as it nears the cliffs however the road will probably require catching a side trail or some overland travel to connect back to the cliffs in order to reach your destination, but it makes for easier travel.

Regardless, the terrain is considered "rough" (either from the hills or the sandy/rocky beach), so you move at 25km per day. You suspect you can make it to the dig site by night fall, it is up to you if you wish to camp along the way to arrive in the morning or reach Atarin's camp in the evening.

Food

If anyone has hunter talent they can produce one meal a day per rank without any effort. Otherwise a MND+AG+Hunter check can be used to obtain some game suitable to feed the entire group. This will take some time, however. You may also simply use one day's worth of rations you have purchased.

Other
You are also welcome to track or search or do anything else that you wish along the way.
Jun 11, 2015 5:22 pm
If we can make it at nightfall, I don't see any reasons to stop along the way, unless you guys insist we do for some reason. Honestly, I'm not much of a hunter, so I'll stick to my trail rations...
Jun 11, 2015 6:03 pm
"The sooner we get there, the sooner we're on Attarin's clock and he'll start owing us coin." Bart chimes in as he grabs a chunk of salted beef from his pack. "I vote we keep moving."
Jun 11, 2015 9:01 pm
Herja only nods in agreement and pushes on.
Jun 11, 2015 9:31 pm
Would you like to take the high road or low road?
Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm
High road seems like a better option. Low road might be more scenic, but there is some climbing involved and I'd like to avoid doing climbing unless we absolutely have to...
Jun 12, 2015 12:03 am
"Aye, I left my climbing boots back in town" Bart says skeptically. "Herja?"
Jun 12, 2015 12:22 am
Herja shrugs. "Climbing doesn't worry me, but neither does some sand in my boot. Whichever path is fine. I just want to reach the dig as soon as possible."
Jun 12, 2015 12:55 am
The quartet keeps a steady pace along the trail soon passing no one for hours. With brief stops to drink from their waterskins or to munch a handful of trail food, the group makes good time, in the afternoon coming to the territory where nobles and merchants keep summer homes on the lake. This early in the spring, the group passes a few oxcarts, heavy laden with fancy foodstuffs and supplies undoubtedly headed for some nobleman's home. On one cart Bart sees several kegs of beer and wine! Oh, to be so wealthy!

The homes give way to the lake again and you find the trail that must lead to the shore and to Atarin's camp. It's past supper time, hopefully there will be some food left for your tired, hungry souls.
Jun 15, 2015 5:49 pm
"Well, down the trail we go... I'm about ready to be finished with this little hike, and as much as I love Gertrude, she's a heavy wench." He says, reaching over his shoulder and caressing the pommel of his new two-handed sword.
Jun 15, 2015 6:00 pm
The group finally sees the shore. The sun is low in the sky as you look upon the campsite nearby. There are two large white canvas tents, a table with some stools around it, a few crates and barrels, and a large firepit.

There are no signs of movement - no one is there, unless they are in the tents. What is more troubling, however, is that there is all sorts of clothing and supplies strewn about the beach, and the firepit is unlit. Normally, one would have a fire roaring by this time in the day for cooking, warmth and security.

Beyond the camp, along the shore to your right hand side, the cliffs rise high into the air. From this distance you think you can see a tiny red flag fluttering in the wind about halfway up the rocky cliffs. Jutting up just in your vision, upon the cliff top, you can see the roof of a mansion. It must be in ruin, as you see holes in the roof and missing shingles.

What do you do?
Jun 15, 2015 10:35 pm
As soon as he spots something's amiss, Esteber motions to the group to stop and move to the edge of the road to take cover behind the vegetation as they examine the scene.

Hmm, looks like whoever made those threats decided to put them to execution. Anyone knows what that red flag means? Anyways, I think we should stealthily circle the camp and try to see if we can spot anyone or anything which might give us a clue as to what awaits us here...

(OOC: Esteber will attempt to identify it as well. I assume a knowledge or simply a MND+IN check?)
Jun 15, 2015 11:27 pm
Go with MND + IN, but it is a knowledge type check not a perception, so no 8+
Jun 16, 2015 12:56 am
(OOC: Yeah, Esteber is definitely not the brains of the team... XD)

Rolls

Attempting to identify the red flag: MND+IN (CTN4) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 16, 2015 1:26 am
It's really windy, that sucker is really fluttering up there!
Jun 16, 2015 6:51 pm
Herja drops into a crouch and moves to circle the camp, hoping to better size up the situation.

Rolls

Stealth mode (MOB+AG=+4; in the underbrush= +8) - (1d20+12)

(13) + 12 = 25

Scoping out the camp (MND+IN=12) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jun 16, 2015 7:00 pm
"Sneak? Me? Well if you think so." Bartholemew draws his large sword and crouches down, following Herja.

Rolls

Stealth (MOB+AG=10) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jun 16, 2015 8:08 pm
Estebers tries his best to sneak around as well.

Rolls

Sneak (MOB+AG, CTN 8) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 16, 2015 9:19 pm
The group moves around the campsite (some more quietly than others). There is no sign of life. The flaps of the tents wave in the breeze, revealing they are unoccupied. Inside them, everything is overturned.

Even from a distance, Herja can see footprints in the wet sand and many disturbances on the beach as if a struggle took place there.
Jun 16, 2015 9:58 pm
Great, the employer's gone, so how are we supposed to be paid? Well, maybe those tracks will lead us to the survivors if there are any left... Maybe we should search the camp and check those tracks. Nobody has managed to identify this flag?

Esteber will poke around the camp looking for clues.

Rolls

Search (CTN 8) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jun 16, 2015 10:36 pm
"Lets check out the tracks to the beach. Climbing that cliff seems like a lot of work for what's probably some rich lady's underpants that got away."
Jun 16, 2015 10:50 pm
Bart looks down at the chaos of footprints and disturbances in the wet sand. Being a warrior, he can tell there was a struggle between a group of booted individuals. Some signs of people falling or wrestling on the ground, perhaps. No blood can be found.

There are also so strange tracks coming from the water's edge, they have been partially washed away by the lapping waves. They come from the water and walk around the camp. Webbed feet, with clawed tips. The size of a man's foot.

Bart make a read tracks roll please

Esteber investigates the abandoned camp. He can see that someone has gone through the crates and trunks, strewing clothes and supplies all around. He finds a waterskin and a barrel of apples.

Anyone else who wishes to search please do so
Jun 16, 2015 11:29 pm
"Hmmmm..." Bart scratches his chin as he looks down at the tracks.

Rolls

Read tracks MND+IN= 5 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jun 16, 2015 11:50 pm
While studying the odd footprints, Bart slips in the surf, totally drenching himself in the cold water of the loch.

Bart, please make a MND+AU check
Jun 17, 2015 2:42 am
"Who put that log there?" Bart says to the empty beach.

OOC: This should be good :)

Rolls

MND+AU=5 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jun 17, 2015 3:20 am
As Bartholemew sits embarrassed in the water, he suddenly feels a very uncomfortable sensation. He feels he is being watched...like when he has sensed an ambush, but he cannot determine from where it originates. It makes him feel exposed. It is a silly notion, but he feels it originates from the Loch itself, but he cannot pinpoint a location.
Jun 17, 2015 2:40 pm
"BAH! Stupid lakes, never did like lakes" Bart stands up, then the hairs on the back of his neck stand up and he grabs hold of his sword. "Something is wrong guys" he grips his weapon firmly while backing away from the water. He keeps his eyes locked on the loch, trying to stay aware of whatever might be tickling his instincts.

Rolls

Perception - Base 8 - maybe? - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jun 17, 2015 2:41 pm
After seeing the coast is clear, Slae steps out of the weeds and looks around the camp with the others. He searches through one of the tents but finds little of value.

Rolls

Search Tent CTN 10 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jun 17, 2015 5:43 pm
Herja turns from the crate she has been inspecting and looks in horror in the direction of the lake. The hairs on her nape bristling and bile rising in her throat she remembers the lake in the Forbidden Valley east of her home. A forbidden place, said to drive men mad. She had spent a night there...an experience she'd much rather forget. Chills running up and down her spine she grits her teeth and steels herself. She grips her weapon and murmurs a prayer to her warrior god, "Mighty Varl, despite my sins, be with me now. Strengthen my arm and may my axe strike true!"

Rolls

Casting Enchant Weapon [SPC=11] - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Staring at the lake [Perception: MND+IN=12] - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jun 17, 2015 6:49 pm
Bart stares out at the loch. The wind is blowing in his face and the seas are choppy, sending waves crashing onto the shore. His eagle eyes spy a gull bobbing on the waves, but little else. The uneasy feeling begins to fade.

Herja's axe glows with magical might as she scans the waters. She sees a fishing boat far in the distance, a bird on the water, but nothing else.
Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm
After a fruitless search, Esteber makes his way back to the shore where he finds Herja and Bart in a state of alert.

Um, you guys are alright? You both look a bit on edge here... Anyways, I haven't found any useful clues rummaging through the camp. It seems that whomever did this ransacked the camp pretty thoroughly, as if looking for something, if only valuables to pillage...
Jun 17, 2015 7:28 pm
"Right. Maybe we go check out that smashed mansion, might be we could get a better look at that flag you saw."
Jun 17, 2015 8:10 pm
Herja tears here gaze away from the loch. She nods wordlessly and follows the others.
Jun 17, 2015 9:25 pm
Hmm, indeed. Perhaps survivors took refuge there, who knows.
Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm
From the beach the group can either walk along the shoreline to the cliff face and climb (the red flag being about half way up the cliff), or backtrack up the hill and follow the road to the mansion.
Jun 17, 2015 9:44 pm
Well, no need to make unnecessary climbing... Let's take the road...
Jun 17, 2015 10:01 pm
"Agreed. That cliff looks treacherous."
Jun 17, 2015 11:27 pm
The group backtracks up the grassy hill and back to the trail. You pass several private roads that clearly lead to nice mansions. Finally you near an old estate entrance. The rusting metalwork above the crumbling columns reads "Apperson". The lawn beyond has almost been reclaimed by the wild. You can see the old manor through the trees and brush. The winds blow steadily from the loch beyond.
Jun 17, 2015 11:31 pm
"Well. Let's check it out, shall we?" Bart advances, sword drawn through the bushes toward the manor house.
Jun 18, 2015 3:07 am
The house is obviously abandoned. There are holes in the roof, shingles missing. Timbers on the porch are rotten and splintered. The garden is overgrown with weeds. Beyond the house you see a small area surrounded by a low metal fence. Among the tall weeds you can make out headstones and a small building.

Beyond is the cliff and the loch. You can see quite far from here.
Jun 18, 2015 3:15 am
Herja goes to inspect the headstones.
Jun 18, 2015 10:36 am
This cemetery consists of over two-dozen headstones choked with weeds. There is a crumbling mausoleum at its center, above its door is written "Lord Crandall Apperson".
Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm
Check for a tomb with "Arch Stanton" on it, there should be treasure buried in the "Unknown" tomb next to it! Or so I've heard...

(OCC: A cookie to anyone who gets that reference! :D )

Hmm, Never been to a mansion before. They usually bury their own dead on their property like that?
Jun 18, 2015 3:20 pm
"Has anybody spotted Atarin's dig site yet? Or is it inside this mausoleum?"
Jun 18, 2015 5:33 pm
Carved into the stone of the mausoleum is "Lord Crandall Apperson"
Jun 18, 2015 11:20 pm
Maybe it is in the mausoleum. Who knows, maybe that flag was meant to identify the area of the dig site... I guess there's no harm in peeking inside at the very least... Ladies first!

With his most charming smile, Esteber opens the door or gate (or whatever the entrance is), holds it, and motions Herja to enter.
Jun 18, 2015 11:28 pm
The interior of the mausoleum is simple cut stone. The setting sun illuminates the room. There is a large sarcophagus in the center of the small chamber. Its stone lid is carved to resemble a man in repose.
Jun 21, 2015 1:14 pm
Alden sees the clueless adventurers rummaging through the camp from a window, then he hides again and starts pondering his options.
"It might be safer if I were to join them rather than keeping on playing hide and seek with all those creeps on the cemetery and whatever the hell those lake freaks were, but can't be sure if those adventurers were not sent after me by Lord Greenhill to give me a lesson."

Then he gets closer and starts watching them from behind some crates near the forest.

"Ok I'll have to take some risks here. They have three warriors and and a robed elf, might be a wizard, so if I had to fight them my best chance would be to take the elf down as he is the only one that can fire from the distance and hide in the forest, there I could hunt the rest one by one. I hope not to have to get to that point. Ok little man time for the show." He thinks for himself and starts talking to the adventurers trying to sound important and in control of the situation.

"Freeze there strangers. You are surrounded by my archers!, state your bussiness! who sends you? what are you looking for around this place?, talk or die in rain of arrows!" He then starts aiming at the elf from hs hiding place hoping his little bluff works.
Jun 21, 2015 2:12 pm
We were sent by the Adventurer's Guild. Atarin had hired help to protect him and his archeological dig from unspecified threats he had received. By the looks of things we arrived too late. I assume you're working for whomever made those threats? Where are Atarin and his men?
Jun 21, 2015 3:16 pm
Herja puts her back against a wall and points her shield at the direction she thinks the voice is coming from, keeps her head low, and grips her axe. She scans her surroundings for places these archers and their leader might be hiding.

Rolls

Perception (MND+IN=12) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jun 21, 2015 11:40 pm
Herja cannot pinpoint the location.
Jun 22, 2015 4:17 am
"Huh? Who's there? Wasn't someone watching the door? Ack, nevermind." Bart steps out of the mausoleum, filling the doorway on his way out with his imposing figure.

"I'm guessing if you wanted us dead we'd all ready be pin cushions. So to what do we owe the pleasure, or is it as my comrade here has said, and you are a group of brigands getting your jollies by frightening arkay-o... arch-e, the client! dammit." He waves his hand dismissively, happy to let Esteber do the talking.
Jun 22, 2015 7:11 am
"We know nothing about that Atarin you speak of, or his companions, but we have seen some strange people around that might be responsible for your employer's disappearance and might be a potential threat to all of us. I think we are no enemies, so I'm going to walk where you can see me as a sign of good will and then we can parley. Don't do anything strange or you'll all be dead before you can reach me. Do you all agree to talk in peace?"

Waits for the adventurers to nod in agreement or say something and then walks out of the woods.
Jun 22, 2015 11:41 am
The group watches as the sun begins to set over the hills on the western side of the Lough Derg
Jun 22, 2015 12:12 pm
In response to the disembodied words, Herja nods grimly but maintains her battle stance. She glances at the setting sun (beautiful!) over the Lough Derg but at the sight of the loch the inexplicable chills run up and down her spine again. Then she remembers she is standing inside a tomb.
Jun 22, 2015 1:56 pm
Slae stares into the trees, looking for the archers...

Rolls

Search CTN 10 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 22, 2015 1:57 pm
"Well, my elven eyes only see one damn fool out there, hiding out by some old crates at the edge of the woods."
Jun 22, 2015 2:09 pm
What? You mean he has no archers? Well my friend, I don,t know whether to call you brave or a fool... or a brave fool... Still, seems we are no enemies. My name is Esteber, this is Bart, Slae, and the lovely Herja. Please, tell us about those "strange people" you mentioned.
Jun 22, 2015 2:12 pm
"Yep, maybe I exaggerated a little bit about that , you got me there elf. But now we know we are not enemies, let's not allow this little white lie to ruin our new found friendship." Says Alden, ready to flee at the slightest sign of aggression.

"Alden is my name, and If you allow me I'll talk to you about the strange things I have seen around this place"
Last edited June 22, 2015 2:13 pm
Jun 22, 2015 2:28 pm
Alden starts telling them his story:

"Well, I was staying in the old manor on the hill for reasons of no concern to our current situation and I could see in the distance a group of blue robed men going inside the graveyard, and as you all know robed men going in a graveyard always mean trouble." Looks to Slae for a moment "No offense intended my elven friend."

"There also were some men camping in the beach, I think they were investigating the caves in the cliff, they looked harmless and I was tempted to go talk to them, but then..."

He waits a second and looks to the water "...about that creepy lake, well... we'll do better not getting close to it. I... just don't know how to describe what emerged from there, they were neither men, nor beasts... they took those men camping in the beach by surprise, I don't know if anyone survived their attack..."
Jun 22, 2015 2:41 pm
Alden recalls seeing some sort of fish men wrestle with the people on the beach and then escort them by spear point to the caves. The fish men wore robes similar to the people up in the cemetery.
Jun 22, 2015 2:44 pm
Caves? Must be where that flag is. Well, we were hired by those men on the beach, so we'll have to get back to the beach eventually to investigate further, maybe find those caves, but not tonight: we had a long journey and need to rest. Alden, do you know of any place which is safe to spend the night?
Jun 22, 2015 2:52 pm
"Wait, blue-robed men in which graveyard?" Herja interrupts, "THIS graveyard?"
Jun 22, 2015 2:54 pm
"I was hiding in the old manor, we can all go there if you like, but let's go as far from the lake as we can."

To Herja: "I'm afraid so, war maiden"

"I fear those monsters already know of our presence and might attack us while we sleep so we better keep our guard up"
Last edited June 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Jun 22, 2015 3:05 pm
Bart grins at Alden's bold bluff. "Har! I think I like you Alden! Fortune favours the bold, and while the fickle bitch might still have me in debt to the guild, I'm willing to bet it'll take you far!"

Bart barely stifles a yawn, then nods to Esteber's suggestion. "Agreed. We should rest in the manor house. At the very least it should be more defensible."
Jun 22, 2015 3:30 pm
Actually, I think I prefer Alden's suggestion of going as far as possible better. If those "sea monsters" are to come after us tonight, I want them to travel as far as possible in order to do so, if only to spite them. Also, I'm not sure I'm comfortable staying next to the cemetery those strange hooded men visit... Let us go while we still have some daylight. Alden, I assume you know the area better than us, so lead the way. We can discuss guard duty while we're on the move.
Jun 22, 2015 4:19 pm
Alden knows that the area is mostly comprised of nobles and wealthy merchant's summer homes. So much of the wilds will be on someone's property. This property - Apperson? - is wild and overgrown, but fairly large.
Jun 22, 2015 5:02 pm
"I suppose it would be best to hole up for the night and investigate in the morning. No use exposing ourselves on two fronts in the night. On the other hand, the longer we wait the less likely we'll find our employer still breathing."
Jun 22, 2015 5:14 pm
Hmm, fine, I guess the best option would be to hole up in the ruined manor in that case. We'll have protection from the elements and the walls will at least help mask any campfire we make, and Bart is right, it might be more defensible. Who knows, we might even find clues inside as we set up camp... Well, let's take advantage of what daylight we have left to gather firewood and figure out guard duty.

Esteber will start looking for firewood

Rolls

Perception to find firewood (CTN8) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 22, 2015 5:35 pm
Esteber finds some dead, dry wood on the property (no need to roll).

Everyone please say what you would like to do during the camping time and lastly indicate watch order.
Jun 22, 2015 5:55 pm
Alden will help barricade some doors to prevent any attacker from surrounding the group and also set some simple traps (mostly alarms) in the house and around it (and of course let the group know where those barricades and traps are).

"I suggest we do the guard duty two men at a time, one watching through the window and the other keeping an eye on the house door. Remember to have an eye in the traps. I'll do the first shift. Sounds good, friends?"

Need a trap roll or something, Dextolen?
Last edited June 22, 2015 5:56 pm
Jun 22, 2015 6:12 pm
Sounds good to me, but we are an odd number, so either someone will have to pull a double shift, or someone will end up doing a guard shift alone... I guess you could start with Herja, then I could take the next one with Slae, which would leave Bart alone for the last one? Well, if I have to, I guess I could pull a double shift... as long as someone buys me a beer later on, Ha, ha!
Jun 22, 2015 6:30 pm
Yes, give me a MND+DX+Thievery roll to set traps
Jun 22, 2015 6:38 pm
"I'll take the last watch. I can watch the main door, unless you think the robed figures were the types to be scaling walls. "
Jun 22, 2015 6:51 pm
I think I'd feel much better if there was two of us making that last guard duty. I'm sure I'll be able to stay up to help you out Bart.
Jun 22, 2015 8:10 pm
There you go MND+DX+Thievery = 17

Rolls

Set traps - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jun 22, 2015 11:31 pm
Alden feels pretty confident in the security of the ruined manse. The group beds down for the evening, taking watches throughout the night.

During Esteber's watch he thinks he hears a man howl far off but it is mostly lost in the sound of the crashing surf on the rocks below the cliff. Helps him keep awake, however.

In the morning, the group arises and preps for the day...
Jun 23, 2015 12:30 am
"So... To the caves then? I'm getting antsy to get paid."
Jun 23, 2015 12:36 am
Rubbing his eyes to stay awake.

Yes... yes, the caves... that sounds like a good... yawns idea... Okay, let's go... Hey, did you hear someone screaming last night?
Last edited June 23, 2015 12:54 am
Jun 23, 2015 3:01 am
The group gathers up their bedrolls and blankets. The weather is overcast, rains look impending. The loch is turbulent and the winds are stronger than ever.

Will you approach the cliff and look for a way down or backtrack down to the shore and look for a way up? Or try somewhere else....?
Jun 23, 2015 6:46 am
"Good morning everyone, please stay where you are while I check the traps I set last night." Do I see some signal of anyone trying to enter the mansion?

10 Perception (12 if I can apply my hunter talent)

"As I remember the people I saw was "climbing up" to the cave so I understand this to be the easiest way. I also expect that route to be guarded"
Last edited June 23, 2015 7:57 am

Rolls

Looking for signs of "visitors" - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jun 23, 2015 10:07 am
Alden finds no evidence of trespassers
Jun 23, 2015 2:09 pm
Would make sense considering their camp is down there. also, a lot less higher to fall from if you lose your grip.

Yawns

Okay, let's make our way down there. Who knows, maybe Alden's keen eye will pick up clues we missed yesterday...
Jun 23, 2015 2:30 pm
Bart falls in with Esteber and Alden, sword resting on his shoulder.
Jun 23, 2015 2:41 pm
The group makes the trek back down the hill, and onto the beach. The camp is on your left, the cliff with flag is on your right. Would you like to go directly to the cliff or inspect the camp again?
Jun 23, 2015 2:51 pm
(OOC: Well, Esteber spend two guard shift awake, so he's not quite thinking straight yet. He won't be searching the camp again today, but he did proposed to Alden if he wanted to check it since he was not with the group yesterday. Anyone else who did not inspect the camp is free to do so today as well but Esteber won't think of proposing that.)

Esteber is basically waiting to see if Alden wants to inspect the camp, if not, then he's ready to head to the cliff right away.
Jun 23, 2015 8:05 pm
Following Esteber's suggestion Alden has a look around the camp "Hey, maybe I can find something valuable" MND+IN=10
Last edited June 23, 2015 8:06 pm

Rolls

MND+IN (Inspecting the camp) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 23, 2015 8:16 pm
Alden has a look around and finds nothing much else. A pipe and tobacco. On the pipe are the initials J.A.
Jun 23, 2015 8:20 pm
Alden hides the tobacco in one of his many pockets and calls the group showing them the pipe. "Friends, look what I found, does the initials J.A. ring any bell?"
Jun 23, 2015 8:23 pm
"hmm. Looks like the Client's initials. What was his first name? Jarry? yeah. Jerome Atarin. That was it. Guess his captors are more cruel than we thought, leaving the man's pipe behind. "

Once the group has finished discussing the pipe, he turns and begins the climb.

Bartholemew turns and looks up the cliff face, bracing himself for the tough climb.
Last edited June 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Rolls

Climb MOB 7+STR 4, CTN 11 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 23, 2015 8:43 pm
Herja shoulders straps her shield and axe to her back and starts climbing.

Rolls

Climb MOB (4) + STR (3) = CTN 7 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jun 23, 2015 8:50 pm
Alden follows the rest of the adventurers.

Rolls

Climbing MOB +ST=8 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jun 23, 2015 9:27 pm
Had I known we'd be doing some climbing, I would've bought some bloody climbing gear... Need some help here Herja?

Smiling, Esteber leans over a bit, putting his hand together to make a step up, to help others climb up.

Here, put your foot in here, and I'll push you up.
Jun 23, 2015 9:52 pm
Bart expertly makes his accent white the others struggle to begin. After a few moments he comes across a line drawn in chalk. It's indicating a very narrow, easier to manage passage up the cliff. Practically a stair

The height of the climb is 10m. You must pass a check for every MOB x 2 meters. So only Herja must pass two checks to climb the height.
You all gain +4 because it's 'rugged rock'. (So Bart has made it)

Those who wish to climb using the pathway get to add +4 (rugged rock) and + 8 (Good grip) but must make an additional check (to compensate for the twisting path).

On a fumble....well....
Jun 23, 2015 9:58 pm
Herja grudgingly accepts Esteber's help.

Rolls

Climb MOB (4) + STR (3) + Rugged (4) = CTN 11 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Climb MOB (4) + STR (3) + rugged (4) = CTN 11 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 23, 2015 10:02 pm
Herja makes it up, passing the narrow stair and going the hard way just as Bart did. She and Bart look down from a ledge at the others below. They are at the entrance of a cavern, all is dark inside.
Jun 23, 2015 10:05 pm
Alden ponders the situation and decides to go the easy way (three checks for me)

Rolls

Climbing 1 MOB +ST +4 +8 = 22 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (7) = 7

1d20 : (5) = 5

Climbing 2 MOB +ST +4 +8 = 22 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (8) = 8

Climbing 3 MOB +ST +4 +8 = 22 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (13) = 13

1d20 : (8) = 8

Jun 23, 2015 10:07 pm
Slow and steady wins the race for Alden. He follows the chalk line stairs to the top, joining the others. He sees the dark cavern entrance behind the warriors. There is a red flag tied to an iron spike here. The flag is really just a piece of cloth. Its purpose is clear now, mark the cavern entrance.
Jun 23, 2015 10:26 pm
Alden takes a couple torches from his bag, lights one and and offers the other to his new friends, please help me light the path while I confirm if there are traps ahead of us.

Rolls

Looking for traps MND + IN + Thievery II = 14 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jun 23, 2015 10:31 pm
Bart holds up the torch toward the opening, staying behind Alden. He keeps his large sword in his other hand, ready to drop the torch if he needs to wield it.
Jun 23, 2015 11:48 pm
The natural cave entrance leads to a small cut stone chamber that features a natural stone stair leading upward, winding to your right. Alden searches the area and stairs carefully finding no dangers.

The air is cold and the chamber is damp, it is dotted with lichen, moss and a bit of mold. Alden can see that the cut stone must have been painted at one time as flakes of blue paint lay on the floor and peel from the walls. A cool breeze blows through, giving the impression that an expanse lies beyond.
Jun 24, 2015 12:03 am
When he sees Herja manages to climb up, Esteber starts climbing as well.

(OOC: I had a weird glitch in which my first 2 rolls did not register, I had to re-make them which is why they are at the bottom.)

Esteber will apply the 17 to his first CTN of 20 and the 7 to his CTN of 3 for a net roll of 17 on the first climb roll, then apply the 16 to his first CTN of 20 and the 13 to his CTN of 3 for a net roll of 16 on his second climb roll, and finally apply his roll of 16 to his first CTN of 16 and the 3 to his CTN of 3 for a net roll of 19 on his 3rd climbing roll.
Last edited June 24, 2015 12:08 am

Rolls

Climb check 2 (BOD+ST+4+8, CTN 23) first die - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Climb check 2 (BOD+ST+4+8, CTN 23) second die - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Climb check 3 (BOD+ST+4+8, CTN 23) first die - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Climb check 3 (BOD+ST+4+8, CTN 23) second die - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Climb check 1 (BOD+ST+4+8, CTN 23) first die - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Climb check 1 (BOD+ST+4+8, CTN 23) second die - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 24, 2015 12:25 am
Esteber makes his way up easily
Jun 24, 2015 12:47 am
I guess we're going up then. Bart, since you already have a torch out, how about you lead the way, Herja can follow, then Slae, then Alden, and I'll close the rank, in case some loch creatures or robed figures ever decide to follow us... Everyone be alert, we don't know what we'll find here...
Jun 24, 2015 1:06 am
The group makes its way up the stair which exits in a small chamber with an arched exit to the south. This room was painted blue at one time but it has molded, chipped and faded. Crumbled piles of moldy, rotten cloth and wood line the far wall...must have been furniture at one point...
Jun 24, 2015 1:08 am
rolling

Rolls

something - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jun 24, 2015 1:09 am
rolling again

Rolls

something - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jun 24, 2015 1:56 pm
I doubt we'll find anything of interest in there, but if anyone wants to search, knock yourselves out. Whenever you guys are ready, let's head through that southern opening...
Jun 24, 2015 2:59 pm
Bart heads south, leading the way into the opening. He keeps the torch held low to limit its reach into the next room.
Jun 24, 2015 3:11 pm
As Bart steps forward, a multi-legged, ropy shape drops on him from the ceiling. A giant centipede!

Bart is bitten for 12 points of damage and must pass a Defy Poison roll (BOD+CO) or be poisoned!

Rolls

Drop Attack (MAT 13+Bod (7) = 20) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Bart's Defense (13-2=11) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 24, 2015 3:16 pm
ROUND 1

12 Giant Centipede (HP:100%) (DEF 11)
11 Alden (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 4)
08 Esteber (HP: 22/22) (DEF: 14)
08 Bart (HP: 12/24) (DEF: 13)
08 Slae (HP: 16/16) (DEF: 6)
04 Herja (HP: 20/20) (DEF: 12)

Conditional Modifiers:
Bart has the torch. He will have to drop it to fight with his two handed sword. The torch will go out on CTN 10, plummeting the group into darkness.
Jun 24, 2015 3:33 pm
Does it mean it's my turn now or does the centipede still have another attack before me?
Jun 24, 2015 3:35 pm
No, he went first you're up!
Jun 24, 2015 3:43 pm
Alden knocks an arrow to his short bow and shoots the beast. Please apply any required modifier to my roll for anyone in the middle.

Sorry for the continuous editings I always forget to post as my char :(
Last edited June 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Rolls

My attack TN 14 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Centy's defense TN 11 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 24, 2015 9:19 pm
Esteber will move to melee the centipede.

We need someone to pick that torch up before it goes out! Slae, I doubt you need both hands to cast those spells, you do it.

Rolls

Esteber's attack (MAT 13) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Giant Centipede's Defense (DEF 11) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jun 24, 2015 9:39 pm
Slae reaches a hand out and is ready to take the torch from Bart

Esteber slashes the centipede, one of his legs goes flying off. +1 SP to Esteber
Jun 25, 2015 2:06 am
Bart blindly hands the torch over, practically dropping it into Slae's waiting hands. His toss urgent as he felt the bite burning.

Torch dropped he reaches up with the hand, gripping Gertrude's hilt to retaliate against the now 99 legged beast.

Rolls

Resist Poison BOD 8, CON 3, CTN 11 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Attack! MAT 15 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Centipede defence 11(-4 2H Sword) CTN 7 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jun 25, 2015 3:23 am
Bart grimaces and takes the pain, feeling his body fight off the toxin. His sword strike hits the centipede soundly, sending 1/4 of its lower segments across the floor, flailing. The rest of it looks angrier than ever!

+1 SP to Bart
Jun 25, 2015 3:26 am
Slae holds the torch aloft and aims his sword at the centipede - a fire beam shoots from the tip.

Rolls

Fire Beam 15-2 (melee fighters in the way) = 13 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Centipede's DEF 11 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jun 25, 2015 3:27 am
Slae fires off a beam that singes the centipede's antennae

+1SP to Slae
Jun 25, 2015 4:05 am
Herja charges forward and sashes the centipede with her axe.

Rolls

Herja's attack (MAT 11) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Giant Centipede's Defense (DEF 11) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 25, 2015 3:02 pm
Herja's blow silences the giant bug. It's nerves cause the legs to continue to twitch.
Jun 25, 2015 3:04 pm
"What in the nine hells was that?" whispers Alden "Is everyone ok?"
Jun 25, 2015 3:07 pm
Victory!
20 xp each for centipede
5 each for exploration to date
25 total experience each

All SP are lost at encounter end
Jun 25, 2015 3:14 pm
Bart falls against a nearby wall, leaning in to it heavily. "slagging beast got me pretty good. Let me catch my breath for a second"
Bart reaches into a pouch on his belt for some healing herbs, grimacing as he chews on the bitter contents.

Rolls

Healing herbs ctn10 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 25, 2015 3:17 pm
Bart. Hold off on that herb...Herja?
Jun 25, 2015 6:24 pm
(OOC: Also, catching your breath will make you heal half the HP you just lost...)

Yeah, we're mostly okay: Bart got bitten bad though. Looks like some sort of giant centipede. Is this really their archeological dig site if there's such dangerous vermin around?
Jun 25, 2015 7:58 pm
As you rest you peer down the hallway leading west. It terminates in a set of verdigris tinted doors but before that there are north and southern facing passages. Again, the place is cold and wet, and moldering piles of what was once furniture litters the sides of the room. The walls feature old, peeling frescoes depicting nude and frolicking men and women, some of whom are in various positions of 'union'.
Jun 25, 2015 8:11 pm
Eh, I think I like the style of the former occupants... He has a smile and tries to not look at Herja while he says that. Let's check what's around to corner of each of those passages, then we can check those doors depending on what we find, or don't... I'll take north and you take south Bart?
Jun 25, 2015 8:16 pm
"Works for me. Slae, would you hold the torch in between here so we can see?"

Bart turns the corner to the south, carefully keeping his eyes open for more falling insects or traps.

OOC: So how much healing could I have received from Herja? I guess repeated heals until I was full again?
Last edited June 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Rolls

Perception - Base 8 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jun 25, 2015 8:28 pm
"Hold your horses for a moment, knowing we are in an humanoid-made place, I think we need to be extra careful with traps. or giant-ninja-centipedes"

Rolls

Looking for traps TN 14 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Looking for giant-ninja-centipedes TN 10 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 25, 2015 8:30 pm
Actually, there are empty sconces on the walls, every 10 feet or so.

I was sort of hoping Jabes would post as I don't know how much healing Herja would give you! :) Normally, yes, you get topped off time permitting.
Jun 25, 2015 8:33 pm
Bart searches the southern annex. It is much like the rest of the main hall, except for a large fresco of a naked, buxom blue woman becoming to the viewer. While rather distracting, Bart thinks he sees a tiny gap, a seam in a door shaped pattern of the wall she's painted on.

Alden carefully looks around but spies nothing out of the ordinary.
Jun 25, 2015 8:36 pm
"Alden, what do you make of this?" Bart points to the door shaped seam in the wall.

Barring any interruptions from Alden, Bart will try to pull on the door seam.
Jun 25, 2015 9:00 pm
"Let me have a look" Alden tries to determine if the door is trapped, if he finds any, disables it and tries to unlock the door

Rolls

Looking for traps 14 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Disable traps (if any) 17 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Unlock the door 17 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jun 25, 2015 9:16 pm
Alden gives the secret door a once over, not finding any traps. The door is not locked.
Jun 25, 2015 9:24 pm
Bart pulls on the door. Should that fail, he pushes.
Jun 25, 2015 9:34 pm
With a push, the door opens.

In addition to rotting furniture, this chamber contains a chest, assorted bones, shards of broken pottery, crude stone weapons, a flute-like instrument and a remarkable three-foot-tall silver statue of a naked woman with the head of a catfish and webbed, claw hands and feet. She is stretching her arms out wide.
Jun 26, 2015 1:16 am
Esteber observes the room, showing a sign of revulsion at the statue. Does that looks like the sea creatures you saw Alden?
Jun 26, 2015 12:04 pm
"They are somewhat similar, but please understand I couldn't get close to them. I might be wrong"

http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/657/?p=12897#p12897

"But for the looks of it, looks like that your employer was digging in those creatures ruins?"

Soon the chest catches his attention and greed takes control over fear. "Well... I could have a look at this chest, maybe there's some gold inside... those fishmen are already angry anyway..."

Rolls

Detect traps on the chest 14 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Disable traps (if any) 17 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Unlock the chest 17 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jun 26, 2015 12:19 pm
The chest is free from traps and also not locked. Inside, Alden finds a thick, leather-bound journal. It is monogrammed with the initials C A in gold lettering. Beneath the journal is a folded blue cloak, quite ruined by time.

A quick thumb through the journal includes:

This is the journal of Lord Crandall Apperson
Sketches of a form like the statue with the words "Makil" beneath it.
On the opposite page the sensuous, human-headed version labeled "The Blue Lady".
Journal entries which details finding of the caves and an unhealthy obsession with the goddess Makil,
Descriptions of a number of bizarre rituals, many of which involve orgies.
Many cult gatherings ended with diving naked off the cliff cave entrance into the waters below
Names of cult members.
Jun 26, 2015 1:18 pm
It would look that way Alden, and my guess is the former occupants of that ruined manor above were probably cultist of this Makil goddess. Well, the estate is places in such a way which would allow for this naked dive ritual, not to mention the hooded figures nosing about the mausoleum...
Jun 26, 2015 6:44 pm
Herja doesn't register Estebar's vaguely ribald remark. Her thoughts are in turmoil after having revealed her healing talent to these people she hardly knows. "Varl help me!" she mutters, and hefts her axe for the hundredth time. The idol of the obscene goddess Makil fills her with disgust and gives her the now-familiar chill that the loch gave her. She picks up the flute and examines it.
Jun 26, 2015 7:14 pm
The flute is made of a woody, hollow reed with tiny holes too small and close together for human fingers. It is decorated in tiny shells.
Jun 26, 2015 7:20 pm
"Most likely this flute summons the blue-robes. If it summons something more terrifying I doubt they would leave it lying around."

Rolls

Detect Magic on the flute (CTN 11) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jun 26, 2015 8:25 pm
no aura detected...
Jun 26, 2015 11:15 pm
"Esteber, did you see anything in the north annex? I think we should move on, if we hurry we might even catch an orgy...", Bart looks at the weird fish statue, reconsidering, "or we could just slay them all"
Jun 27, 2015 2:34 pm
No, I did not noticed anything there, so I guess we can go check those corroded doors. After you guys. Oh, Herja, if you're not taking this flute, I think I'll pocket it...

Esteber motions the rest of the party to proceed, he and Herja will soon follow...
Jun 27, 2015 2:40 pm
Herja treats Esteber to a rare smile before slipping the flute down her décolletage. She moves to follow the others, leaving him gaping.
Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm
To your left are bronze double doors. They feature the buxom woman beckoning you forward. The northern alcove is empty save for some piles of rotten furniture
Jun 28, 2015 12:51 am
While they are still away from the rest of the group, Esteber asks Herja, not too loud so others won't hear and as to not embarrass her.

So, when were you planning to tell us you were a healer?
Jun 28, 2015 8:14 am
"I wasn't." Herja mutters angrily and storms off to join the others.
Jun 28, 2015 4:31 pm
Bart eyes the doors suspiciously, scratching his over sized chin. "Well Alden, I think it's time for you to put your skills to work on this door. I'll go in first once you can tell me there aren't any traps waiting for me."
Jun 28, 2015 11:24 pm
Alden searches the doors and finds nothing suspicious. He reports they are unlocked.
Jun 29, 2015 12:33 am
"Alright then! Let's have at it shall we?" Bart approaches the door and pulls open one side of it, glancing through to see what lies beyond.
Jun 29, 2015 11:47 am
The doors open onto a large natural cavern supported by cut stone columns. The walls are covered with murals portraying beautiful blue men and women with webbed hands and feet, cavorting shamelessly through the water under the lustful gaze of the Blue Lady.
Jun 29, 2015 11:53 am
Rolling

Rolls

something - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jun 29, 2015 2:35 pm
You know, considering the frescoes on the cave's walls, I'm wondering if our employers have been killed, or simply taken to be breeding stock... Still not sure which would be worse...
Jun 29, 2015 5:11 pm
Bart adopts a puzzled expression at the thought of the fish creatures using humans as breeding stock. "hmm..." Then his eyes widen, as if finally finding the thought, and his face pales slightly.

"Let's just find them and get paid." He says shaking off the thought. "Alden, care to check for traps?"

Bart has a glance ahead looking for anything amiss in the chamber.

Rolls

(6) = 6

Jun 30, 2015 1:02 am
Bart smells something rotten ahead to the west. The stink of death...
Jun 30, 2015 3:41 pm
"Something stinks. Slae stay close with that torch." Bart advances toward the western part of the chamber his sword held out before him.
Jun 30, 2015 4:11 pm
Let's not split the party, we'll all follow you.

Esteber signals the rest of the party to follow suit, same marching order as last time.
Jun 30, 2015 4:12 pm
Herja nods grimly and follows.
Jul 1, 2015 12:36 pm
The grisly remains of several horses, a few people in blue robes, and others in climbing gear lie scattered across the floor. Two giant lizards are here feeding on the remains. They turn and look at you in the torchlight, hiss and advance!
Jul 1, 2015 12:47 pm
ROUND 1

09 Arga Lizards (HP:100%) (DEF 16)
08 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13)

Conditional Modifiers:
Slae has the torch.
Arga Lizards are Large (+2 to hit)
The Argas are 8m away
Jul 2, 2015 7:26 am
Alden looks in horror to the gruesome scene while getting his bow ready. Inhales while pulling the string and then exhales when the arrow flies to one of the amphibian beasts.

Alden will try to move away from the lizards to avoid fighting in melee.

Rolls

Alden's attack 13+1+2=16 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Lizard 1 DEF 16 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 2, 2015 11:19 am
The arrow shoots past the lizards and they charge! One attacks Bart, using the force of his body...

(Will take the 13) For 13 pts, Bart defends 3 for "10 HP damage

Rolls

Attack with Charge (add BOD) CTN 13+8= 21 - (2d20)

(133) = 16

Bart Def 13 -2=11 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 2, 2015 11:24 am
The other lizard charges Esteber

I'll take 11 but

Esteber blocks the lizard's bash, sliding backward, avoiding injury

Rolls

CTN 21 - (2d20)

(1711) = 28

Esteber DEF 14-2=12 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jul 2, 2015 11:47 am
From off to the side Herja comes to Alden's aid. With a guttural war-cry she charges the lizard's flank and swings with her hatchet.

Rolls

Charging Attack MAT (12) + BOD (8) + 2 = CTN (22) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Lizard DEF 16 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Another d20 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jul 2, 2015 2:18 pm
(OOC: Aren't you jumping the gun here Jabes? There are still 3 people before you... :P )

Esteber will defend himself by attacking the lizard in front of him. Also, seeing Herja is about to charge in, he will shout. "Herja, I think healing Bart is more urgent than rushing in melee right now!"

Rolls

Esteber's attack on lizard (MAT 13, +2 size, total CTN 15) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Lizard's defense (DEF 16) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jul 3, 2015 3:24 pm
Bart howls in pain as the giant lizard takes a chunk out if him. Though the last laugh was his, the lizard's approach had given him ample time to bring Gertrude to bear, and he swung it down in the beast with as much force as he could muster.

Rolls

Attack MAT 16+2(large)=18 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Defence 16(-4 2H Sword) 12 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jul 3, 2015 3:49 pm
The lizard hisses at the blow!

+1 SP to Bart
Jul 3, 2015 3:52 pm
Slae launches a fire beam, just missing the beast!

Rolls

Firebeam (CTN 15 + 2(Large opponent) -2(friends in melee) = 15) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Def 16 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 3, 2015 4:00 pm
ROUND 2

09 Arga Lizards (1 - HP:80%, 2 -80%) (DEF 16)
08 Esteber (HP: 18/22) (DEF: 14)
08 Bart (HP:11/24) (DEF: 13)
04 Herja (HP: 20/20) (DEF: 12) 1 SP

Conditional Modifiers:
Slae has the torch.
3 combatants are in melee (-2 to hit with ranged attacks, on a fumble, a friend is hit - roll attack again as normal)
Jul 3, 2015 8:19 pm
"Damn, my hands are shaking. I need to calm down if I want to be of any use here." Alden breathes deep to try to control his fear and shoots again.

Rolls

Attack to Liz1 14 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Lizard1 DEF 16 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jul 3, 2015 8:50 pm
An Arga attacks Bart, hungry for his blood

Bart takes 9 hp damage!

Rolls

CTN 13 attack! - (1d20)

(9) = 9

(12) = 12

Jul 3, 2015 8:51 pm
The other Arga snaps at Esteber

He takes 4 pts

Rolls

CTN 13 Attack! - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Esteber's Defense 14-2 = 12 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jul 3, 2015 8:55 pm
Bart spends 1 SP to increase his defense by +3, taking no damage from the attack
Jul 4, 2015 2:17 pm
Ah, pesky vermin!

Esteber tries to get rid of the lizard on him.

Dammit, their skin is very tough for a short sword...
Last edited July 4, 2015 2:18 pm

Rolls

Esteber's attack (MAT 13, +2 larger opponent, total CTN 15) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

(9) = 9

Jul 5, 2015 3:54 pm
Bart swings Gertrude down upon the lizard, looking over his shoulder at Herja all the while.

Rolls

CTN 18 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

DEF 16 -4 = 12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

COUP! CTN 18 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 5, 2015 3:56 pm
The lizard's hiss is cut short as Gertrude slices through its neck, killing it. +1 SP to Bart
Jul 5, 2015 3:57 pm
Slae shoots a firebeam at the remaining lizard

Rolls

Firebeam (CTN 15 + 2 (Large opponent) = 17) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Def 16 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 5, 2015 3:57 pm
The lizard snarls at the pain, +1 SP to Slae
Jul 7, 2015 5:49 am
Herja involuntarily lunges forward and grabs Bart's arm. She feels Varl's power being channeled through her but something is wrong...

OOC: Ok I think that's a failed casting. If so, I'll cash in the single SP niw for DEF+3.
Last edited July 7, 2015 5:58 am

Rolls

Healing Touch TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 = CTN (10) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 7, 2015 2:35 pm
ROUND 3

09 Arga Lizards (1 - DEAD, 2 -60%) (DEF 16)

Conditional Modifiers:
Slae has the torch.
3 combatants are in melee (-2 to hit with ranged attacks, on a fumble, a friend is hit - roll attack again as normal)
Jul 7, 2015 6:54 pm
"Come on Alden, get hold of yourself. Show those freaking beasts their place"

Alden sees with relief how his arrow flies to the lizard piercing his scaly skin.
Last edited July 7, 2015 6:55 pm

Rolls

Attack to the remaining lizard 14 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Defense 16 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jul 7, 2015 9:04 pm
+1 SP to Alden

The remaining lizard snarls and claws at Esteber, missing!

Rolls

CTN 13 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

(14) = 14

Jul 7, 2015 11:47 pm
My turn! Esteber Replies.

Rolls

(17) = 17

(10) = 10

Jul 8, 2015 12:20 am
"Gertrude has a taste for lizard blood now!" Bart moves up and brings Gertrude around for a heavy swing.

Rolls

MAT 16 +2(LARGE)=CTN 18 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lizard defence 16 - 4 2H Sword =12 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jul 9, 2015 7:01 pm
Slae fires, missing

Rolls

(19) = 19

Def 16 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jul 10, 2015 7:43 am
Herja lunges forward and chops at the lizard with her hatchet.

Rolls

Attack MAT (12) + 2 = CTN (14) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lizard DEF 16 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jul 10, 2015 10:42 am
ROUND 4

09 Arga Lizards (1 - DEAD, 2 -20%) (DEF 16)

Conditional Modifiers:
Slae has the torch.
The Arga Lizard is on the ground (-2 to his attacks, -2 to Defense)
Jul 10, 2015 1:11 pm
Alden shoots again feeling little more confident.

OOC. Woohoo, the lizard bothced his defense roll XD
Last edited July 10, 2015 1:12 pm

Rolls

attack 14 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

liz def 16 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jul 10, 2015 2:41 pm
+1 SP to Alden and the lizard flips over (-2 to his attacks, -2 to defense until it stands)

Being somewhat feral, the lizard swipes at Bart from the ground...

Rolls

CTN 13 -2 = 11 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

(1) = 1

Jul 10, 2015 3:35 pm
Perhaps my short sword will be able to pierce the softer skin of its belly...

Esteber stabs at the beast laying on the ground...

Rolls

(10) = 10

Lizard's defense (DEF 16, -4 prone, total CTN 12) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jul 10, 2015 3:54 pm
"Nice stab Esteber! I wonder if I could mount one if these on my wall... I suppose I'd need a house first... "

Bart circles and brings down Gertrude in a heavy chop, trying to decapitate the beast.

Rolls

MAT 16+2 large, +2 prone =20 - (1D20)

(6) = 6

Defence 16(-4 2H Sword) - 2 prone =10 - (1D20)

(1) = 1

Jul 10, 2015 4:06 pm
+1 SP to Esteber

Slae shoots another fire beam at the lizazd

Rolls

(3) = 3

Def 16-2 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jul 12, 2015 1:26 am
The scent of blood urges Herja to go in for the kill but knows that much of that blood is not he lizard's. She reaches out to Bart again.

Rolls

Healing Touch TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 = CTN (10) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jul 12, 2015 2:37 am
FYI in case you don't know that's a coup. 10 hp restored. and +1 SP
Jul 12, 2015 2:38 am
ROUND 5

09 Arga Lizards (1 - DEAD, 2 -20%) (DEF 16)
08 Bart (HP:21/24) (DEF: 13)

Conditional Modifiers:
Slae has the torch.
The Arga Lizard is on the ground (-2 to his attacks, -2 to Defense)
Jul 12, 2015 6:14 am
Dextolen says:
FYI in case you don't know that's a coup. 10 hp restored. and +1 SP
OOC: In that case, I'll cash in the single SP for DEF+3.
Jul 12, 2015 6:37 am
Alden knocks a new arrow to his bow, aims for a split second and looses the arrow.

OOC: spends 2 SP to get a +2 to the attack.

OOC2: Sorry for the edit but the attack roll didn't appear. Adding a new one
Last edited July 12, 2015 6:39 am

Rolls

Defense 16-2 (prone)=14 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Attack 14+2=16 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 12, 2015 11:47 am
+1 SP to Alden as the lizard hisses in pain. It appears to be giving second thoughts to its dietary needs!

But being a dumb animal it continues its attack, this time chomping at Esteber! The beast comes within inches of a nasty bite, as Esteber feels its fetid breath

Rolls

CTN 13-2=11 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

(15) = 15

Jul 12, 2015 2:13 pm
You should have left while you still had the chance you stupid beast!

Esteber attempts a poke of death on the lizard.

Hmm, looks like those belly scales are harder than I thought...
Last edited July 12, 2015 2:13 pm

Rolls

Esteber's attack (MAT 13, +2 larger opponent) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Lizard's defense (DEF 16, -2 prone, total CTN 14) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 13, 2015 12:47 am
"Time to end this. What do you think, Gertrude?" Bart asks his sword before taking another swing at the annoying and prone lizard.

Rolls

Attack MAT 16+2(large) +2 prone =20 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Defence 16(-4 2H Sword) - 2 prone =10 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 13, 2015 1:58 am
Gertrude finds the neck of this lizard as well. Ending its life.

The cavern falls silent, save for the heavy breath of Bart and Esteber.

VICTORY
EXP: 25 each

All SP are lost

Alden approaches the dead lizards, eyeing the curiously. (Alden please make a MOB+DX+Hunter check)
Jul 13, 2015 3:13 am
You know, considering the amount of dangerous predators we've encountered so far in here, I am seriously starting to wonder if this is really their archeological dig site...
Jul 13, 2015 6:36 am
Well let's see if I can get some coin from those dead lizards...
Last edited July 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Rolls

MOB+DX+Hunter=15 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jul 13, 2015 12:45 pm
Alden notices that Bart's blows cut the beasts' heads clean off and there is very little in the way of wounds on the bodies. The skin of these lizards, if properly removed, could fetch....

40 CP and 12 SP

He feels he could skin them while everyone takes a breather, Herja heals, etc.

Rolls

Arga Lizard 1 Trophy (CTN 14) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Arga Lizard 2 Trophy (CTN 14) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Arga Lizard 1 Trophy in CP - (5d20)

(2713108) = 40

Arga Lizard 2 Value in SP - (2d20)

(111) = 12

Jul 13, 2015 12:49 pm
With combat over, Slae looks around at the dank, wet cavern.

"This is NOT the kind of place I want to go walking around in. I don't feel any good magical items or scrolls will be here. I'm out. See you later, boys - and girl!"

With that, he departs.
Jul 13, 2015 1:40 pm
Bart reaches up to object to Slae's leaving, but the mage is gone before he gets a chance. "Bye, I guess... More pay for us I guess!" the tall warrior says grinning to his remaining party members.

"Well, with Slae leaving, Gertrude will have to bite a bit harder."

Bart pulls out a small jar of weapon paste while Alden skins the lizards. Once Alden is finished, Bart will have a look around the carvern.

Rolls

Weapon paste d20 attacks: - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 13, 2015 1:49 pm
Wow Bart, when you mentioned mounting a lizard's head to your wall, I did not though someone would take you literally... Well, I guess Alden knows what he's doing. Farewell Slae. I guess I could strap my shield to my back and hold the torch for a while, you need both hands to wield Gertrude after all Bart.
Jul 13, 2015 1:49 pm
Alden finishes his work and turns around...

"Hey where did the elf go?"
Jul 14, 2015 12:36 am
He went away claiming this adventure would not further his magical knowledge or something like that... Would it be funny if we end up finding a bunch of magic baubles and scrolls?
Jul 14, 2015 12:54 am
"indeed. His loss!" Bart proclaims, satisfied that Gertrude is extra keen with a paying of weapon paste.
Shall we carry on with making ourselves richer?
Jul 14, 2015 1:28 am
Agreed. Same marching order as before, so far it seems to be working, so why fix what is not broken. I'll close the march holding the torch.

Esteber straps his wooden shield to his back and grabs the torch in his off-hand.

Nobody needs some medical attention before we leave. I have but a scratch, but Bart, that thing looked like it took a good chunk out of you, Will you be alright?

(OOC: I assume we caught out breath while Alden was skinning the lizards...)
Last edited July 14, 2015 1:30 am
Jul 14, 2015 2:39 am
Alden skins the lizards while the others catch their breath. The stench of the Arga's former meals is nearly unbearable. Among the dead include two people in blue robes and two in work clothes.
Jul 14, 2015 11:50 am
"What if one of these dead workers is our supposed employer?"
Jul 14, 2015 1:32 pm
Maybe, maybe not. I think for now we need to continue with the assumption our employer is still alive. If he is dead, or we simply cannot find him, we'll report back to the guild. But for now we need to keep searching... speaking of searching, maybe we should look on these corpse for clues... and equipments which might help us which those poor souls obviously won't need anymore...

Esteber gives a cursory look of the bodies.

(OOC: Ah! I actually succeeded that! XD )
Last edited July 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Rolls

Esteber's Search check (CTN 4) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 14, 2015 2:24 pm
The first thing that Esteber notices is that the cultists are wearing fish masks and webbed / clawed gloves. The worker types look young, late teens, early twenties, and they carry a belt with brushes, a hammer, chalk...
Jul 14, 2015 3:49 pm
"Huh, worker bees for making their dirty murals." Bart scowls as he looks over Esteber's shoulder.
Jul 18, 2015 1:37 pm
From here, the group can travel north, where there are two passages, one of cut stone and one natural. To the west is a natural ledge, with a wooden ladder resting against it. There is also a natural stone stair to the south west leading up to perhaps another area. To the south are two passages - one looks natural and one looks hewn.

You can also go back and further explore the eastern cavern.
Jul 18, 2015 2:10 pm
Esteber starts doing teh Freelands version of "eenie, meenie, mo" and it falls on the northern passage which looks cut.

Well, this is as good a choice as any, unless there are objections...

(OOC: I simply rolld 1d5 IRL. XD )
Jul 18, 2015 3:16 pm
No objections, led the way warrior
Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm
You heard the man, lead the way Bart!
Jul 19, 2015 12:03 pm
You move down a short length of cut stone hallway that ends in an old but sturdy looking wood and iron banded door.
Jul 19, 2015 2:01 pm
"Let me check this door fellow adventurers."

Alden will try to listen to see if he can detect anyone on the other side and try to detect traps, but won't try to open it yet (this will depend on the listen roll).

Rolls

Listen 10 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Detect traps 14 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 19, 2015 2:04 pm
Alden puts an ear to the door and hears some muffled sounds, perhaps voices, and some shuffling around. The door does not appear to be trapped but is barred from the inside.
Jul 19, 2015 2:14 pm
Alden let's the others know his findings.

"what do you think friends? maybe we could block this door from this side to avoid whomever is inside to catch us offguard?" whispers to the adventurers.
Jul 19, 2015 3:25 pm
Estebers says this whispering.

Or we might find some answers in there. I say we go in. At worst, we have some blue robed figures to fight, at best, we found some living prisoners...
Jul 19, 2015 4:26 pm
*whispers* "Do you think your employer might be inside? do you want to knock at the door?"
Jul 19, 2015 10:22 pm
Still, whispering.

Nay my friend, if it is hostiles, we'll simply alert them. Lets just open the door and burst inside expecting trouble. If we find terrorized archeologists, we save them, anything else, we kill it...
Jul 19, 2015 10:30 pm
With a grim expression and heft of her shield Herja nods her agreement with Esteber.
Jul 20, 2015 1:54 am
Alright Bart, I'll open the door and you charge in and cut down anything that doesn't look like an archeologist, we'll all be right behind you...

Esteber moves to grab the door's handle, and silently mouths the words "one... two... three..."
Jul 20, 2015 6:57 am
OOC: According to Dex's description the door is barred from the other side, I think it means we can't open it from here. Am I wrong?
Jul 20, 2015 2:22 pm
"Ack! cowards, barring the doors." Gertrude is still hungry. "So, do we go around and try to find a new path? Or just try knocking, maybe they'll welcome us as saviours!"
Jul 20, 2015 2:31 pm
With you hushed discussion, Alden notices that the room behind the door has now fallen silent.

Rolls

CTN 12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 20, 2015 3:16 pm
Herja brings out the strange flute. "I was going to suggest we draw them out with this but it seems we've been noticed already." She puts the flute away and braces for battle.
Jul 20, 2015 3:28 pm
There is no response from behind the door. Alden hears a muffled "Hush...it could be more of those things!"
Jul 20, 2015 6:24 pm
"We are not things but men, fear not"
Jul 20, 2015 6:58 pm
"Indeed, we are human, sent by the Adventurer's Guild at Atarin's demand. Apparently someone, or something, was threatening his archaeological dig..."
Jul 21, 2015 12:22 am
There is a brief pause and then you hear the bar being lifted and the door opens a crack. An older man's eye peers out at your, looking you up and down, and behind you. Then the door opens wide. The old man is wearing a blue robe, it's hood back, exposing his head. Behind him are 3 similarly garbed people. An older woman, a young man and young woman. Everyone looks scared, tired and very dehydrated.

The room beyond looks like a small storeroom. Moldy, rotten boxes, a barrel, some pegs on the wall with more blue robes. Your observation of the room is interrupted by the older man who clears his throat.

"Ahem, dear adventuring guilds men. I am so very glad you are here. I am Lord Delmar Miles. My friends and I wish to leave this place immediately and I will pay you handsomely to return us to my estate not a couple of miles from here. Shall we consider it an agreement?" he says as he holds out his hand.
Jul 21, 2015 12:30 am
"Who all is in there, is Atarin there? Our client is a man named Jerol Atarin, do you know of him?" Bart looks at the group, then to his party, "Though, I do like being paid... what say you group?"
Jul 21, 2015 12:41 am
"Atarin is dead, killed by those monsters" Lord Delmar quickly responds.

Rolls

Esteber MND+AU = 6 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Bart MND+AU = 5 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Alden MND+AU = 8 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Herja MND+AU = 11 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 21, 2015 12:44 am
When the old man responds with the news of Atarin's demise, Bart notices the young woman in the back of the room bite her lip and look a bit flustered.
Jul 21, 2015 1:13 am
Noticing the young woman, Eseteber puts on his most charming demeanor.

Atarin is dead? Really? Well this is inconvenient, he was to be our employer for this particular mission. Lord Miles, you mentioned creatures... what sort of creatures? Are those creatures the ones who were sending threats to Atarin's dig site?

Then turning to the young lady who looks flustered.

M'lady, are you feeling alright?
Jul 21, 2015 1:56 am
"Aye, such a tragedy" Bart puts on a hard face, addressing Lord Miles. "You'll forgive me, my lord, but what exactly happened to Jerol? Without evidence, we might just have to leave you here while we investigate the rest of the complex. I would hate for something bad to happen to your entourage were we to be absent."
Jul 21, 2015 2:27 am
"Those monstrosities set upon him. Now if you don't mind. 100, 100 gold coins to bring us safely out of this place NOW!" the Lord says, looking somewhat impatient.

Delmar turns to Esteber. "The girl has been hiding in here with us for 3 days. She is exhausted and thirsty, we must leave now, it is not safe here"
Jul 21, 2015 1:38 pm
"I'm more inclined to accept the coins and run away from here, but I don't know what is your agreement with the Adventurer's Guild, so it's your choice friends, I'll stay by your side whatever you decide"
Jul 21, 2015 2:00 pm
With all due respect my Lord, I believe the young lady is capable of answering for herself... Now I understand you're all afraid, hungry, and thirsty, but please, do calm down. As Bart mentioned, we are going to have to look into what happened to our employers in order to make as concise and accurate report as possible to the Adventurer's Guild when we'll need to explain them why we failed on our mission... Don,t worry, we will bring you back to your estate, there is no need for anyone else to die in this horrible place today. But before we do that, we will need your cooperation and your testimony, from each of you, as to what really happened here. Perhaps to avoid wasting any more of your precious time, we will take your deposition simultaneously, one of us questioning one you of you in private so we can get this thing done as quickly as possible, and you won't have to spend one more minute in this awful place. Does that sounds reasonable? Bart, how about you take Lord Miles' testimony and I'll take... oh I'm sorry, I have not gotten any of your names... And you other people are?
Jul 21, 2015 2:51 pm
Lord Delmar's face turns red with anger. "200...200 gold to remove us from this place immediately. We can talk within the safety of my property's walls. That old archaeologist was killed by the lakemen, who could be upon us at any minute. We must flee. Lead the way!" he sputters.

The others remain silent, save for the young woman who quietly says "My name is Lena Apperson". When she speaks the older woman looks at her disapprovingly.
Jul 21, 2015 3:04 pm
"If those creatures are coming then it would be stupid to try for your estate where we'd all be exposed on the way. I bet this cave is more defensible than your mansion anyway. Here is some food and water. You're welcome to go out there on your own but if you want our protection you'll answer our questions."
Jul 21, 2015 4:07 pm
When Herja offers her waterskin all four of the blue robed men and women cry out "No! No water!" and step back in fear as if terrified by it.

Herja, having never seen this reaction to water before, looks at her waterskin. It begins to bulge and feel heavy as a stone, it explodes open and 4 bipedal fish-men burst forth from it, water splashing the group!

Small tentacle like tendrils whip angrily on their catfish like faces and they gargle an attack cry, brandishing their clawed, webbed hands.
Jul 21, 2015 4:24 pm
ROUND 1

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: 100%, 100%, 100%, 100%) (DEF 12)

Conditional Modifiers:
Bart has the torch.
Herja, Bart and Esteber are in melee
Jul 21, 2015 4:33 pm
"Oh no... not those things..." exclaims Alden while jumping back reading his bow.

Rolls

Aldens attack 14 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lizard 1 DEF 12 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jul 21, 2015 5:24 pm
The lakemen look you over...you think they are studying your faces...then something disappoints them and they attack.
Three of them attack Bart, Esteber and Herja respectively. The last turns inward toward the four souls behind the melee, trapped in the storeroom. Likewise it studies them, looking the longest at Lord Delmar before attacking him!

Rolls

Lake-man to Bart CTN 12 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Bart's DEF CTN 13 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lake-man to Esteber CTN 12 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Esteber DEF CTN 14 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Lake-man on Herja CTN 12 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Herja DEF CTN 12 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jul 21, 2015 5:26 pm
Herja takes 12 pts of damage and must pass a BOD+CO roll as the catfish headed man's tentacles grasp her face and she feels the sting of poison!
Jul 21, 2015 5:36 pm
Herja gasps as the poison enters her bloodstream.

Rolls

BOD 8 + CON 2 = 10 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jul 21, 2015 5:40 pm
Herja's vision begins to fail and things go near black. -4 to attack/things requiring vision for 4 rounds (1d20/5)

Rolls

Blindness - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 21, 2015 6:34 pm
What the [Freelands expletive deleted]! Those things just magically came out of an [Feelands expletive deleted] wineskin!

Esteber attacks the one which is on him.

Rolls

(3) = 3

Lakeman's Defense (DEF 12) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Lakeman's Defense Coup (DEF 12) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jul 21, 2015 6:40 pm
"Make yourselves useful! Hold this!" Bart tosses the torch to the feet of the terrified civilians. He then hoists Gertrude and swings it at the Lakeman in front of him.

OOC:If I can still attack after tossing the torch, I will. I understand if I have to wait.

Rolls

Attack! MAT: 16 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Defence 12 -4(2H)=8 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jul 21, 2015 6:57 pm
The lake-man gurgles in pain, reddish/purple blood streams from the hacking wound to his side. +1 SP to Bart.
Jul 21, 2015 7:06 pm
"Varl help me!" Herja staggers back from the lake-man.

Rolls

Healing Touch on self TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 = 10 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jul 21, 2015 7:35 pm
"The masks!! I think those monsters can be tricked by them!! I suggest we go fetch them as soon as we take care of this situation" says Alden while shooting to one of the monsters again.

Rolls

attack 14 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

def 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jul 21, 2015 10:31 pm
(OOC: Actually, I'm the one now holding the torch, which means my shield is slung on my back right now and I'm not benefiting from it. I've stated to a few times in previous posts...)
Jul 22, 2015 12:34 am
ROUND 2

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: 80%, 45%, 100%, 100%) (DEF 12)
08 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13) SP:1
04 Herja (HP: 8/20) (DEF: 12)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Herja is practically blind (-4 to sight based actions)
Jul 22, 2015 12:40 am
The lakemen attack, moist claws glinting in the torchlight.

Esteber is struck hard for 12 HP

Rolls

Lake-man on Bart CTN 12 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Lake-man on Esteber CTN 12 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Esteber DEF 13 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

(16) = 16

(10) = 10

Lake-man on Lord Delmar CTN 12 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Lord Delmar DEF CTN 8 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 22, 2015 5:03 pm
Esteber once again attempts to attack the lakeman which is on him. This time he scores a solid hit

Take that fish-face!
Last edited July 22, 2015 5:03 pm

Rolls

(12) = 12

(17) = 17

Jul 22, 2015 7:01 pm
Bart lashes out at the lakeman in front of him, trying to finish the beast in front of him so he can help his party members.

Rolls

(1) = 1

(20) = 20

Coup Roll: CTN 17 (w/ weapon paste) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jul 22, 2015 7:07 pm
Shield protectively in front of her, Herja desperately tries again to heal herself.

Rolls

Healing Touch on self TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 = 10 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jul 22, 2015 7:50 pm
Bart swings hard, severing the lake-man's head clean from his shoulders. The body slumps to the ground (taking 28 pts of damage!)

The other lake-men gurgle a call of alarm and their attentions turn toward Bart.

+1 SP to Bar
+1 SP to Herja
Jul 22, 2015 7:52 pm
ROUND 3

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: DEAD, 45%, 100%, 33%) (DEF 12)
08 Esteber (HP: 12/22) (DEF: 14) SP:1
08 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13+8=21)
04 Herja (HP: 18/20) (DEF: 12) SP:2

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Herja is practically blind (-4 to sight based actions)
Jul 22, 2015 8:05 pm
OOC: With the new attention turned on Bart, I'll pop 2SP for +8 defence.
Jul 23, 2015 7:13 am
Alden shoots again "Have at thee, you monster!"
Last edited July 23, 2015 7:14 am

Rolls

My attack TN 14 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

defense 12 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jul 23, 2015 1:31 pm
The lake-man rears back from the arrow as it slams deep into his shoulder. He gargles a cry of pain.

Two of the lake-men strike at Bart, while the other attacks Esteber. but none of the lake-men manage to connect with their targets.

Rolls

Lake-man on Bart (Lateral bonus) CTN 13 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Bart's Defense (13) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Lake-man on Bart (Lat. Bonus) CTN 13 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Barts Defense (13) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

(15) = 15

Esteber DEF 13 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 23, 2015 2:56 pm
Esteber stabs at his lakeman, attempting to finish it off.

Rolls

Esteber's Attack (MAT 13) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

(3) = 3

Jul 23, 2015 3:45 pm
"you're next water-boy!" Bart swings Gertrude at the new belligerent who'd engaged him.

Rolls

(20) = 20

(3) = 3

Jul 23, 2015 3:49 pm
With a clang, Gertrude falls the floor! He thinks he hears the lake-man gargle laughingly.
Jul 23, 2015 4:32 pm
Using her companions' voices to guide her, Herja gropes forward and finds Esteber. His sleeve is slick with what can only be blood.

Rolls

Healing Touch Esteber TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 = 10 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jul 23, 2015 4:43 pm
ROUND 4

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: DEAD, 1%, DEAD 33%) (DEF 12)
10 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13)SP:1
08 Esteber (HP: 12/22) (DEF: 14) SP:1
04 Herja (HP: 18/20) (DEF: 12+8=20)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Herja is practically blind (-4 to sight based actions) (Round 3 of 4)
Jul 23, 2015 9:15 pm
Alden will shoot at the same Lake-man again

Rolls

Def 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

attack 14 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jul 24, 2015 1:08 am
The arrow grazes the lake-man, not harming him.
Jul 24, 2015 12:44 pm
The lake-men press their assault

One on each of the front line battlers.

Esteber avoids attack but both Bart (1 pt) and Herja (2pt) are scraped.

Bart, please make a BOD+CO check.

Rolls

(19) = 19

Esteber's Defense 13 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lake-man on Bart CTN 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Bart Defense 13 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

(12) = 12

(10) = 10

Jul 24, 2015 2:49 pm
"You'll have to do better than that!"

Bart reaches to his belt, pulling out his short sword to answer the beast's strike.
Last edited July 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Rolls

BOD+CO=11 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

MAT 14 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Defence 12 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Coup Roll: CTN 14 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 24, 2015 2:58 pm
In one motion Bart pulls his short sword from his scabbard and slices the lake-man across the chest, spilling his intestines in a bloody brine across the floor. It slumps to the ground quite dead.

He sees a bit of fear in the eyes of the remaining lake-men...

+1 SP to Bart
Jul 24, 2015 8:09 pm
Esteber also attempts to finish off his lake-man.

Die you foul beast!

Rolls

Esteber's Attack (MAT 13) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

(4) = 4

Jul 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Still unable to see enough to attack, Herja heals Esteber again.
OOC: Trading in 2 SP for DEF +8
Last edited July 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Rolls

Healing Touch Esteber TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 = 10 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jul 24, 2015 11:42 pm
Esteber's blade sticks into the thigh of the lakeman before him, it makes a slobbery squonk but stands.
+1 SP to Esteber
Jul 24, 2015 11:48 pm
ROUND 5

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: DEAD, 1%, DEAD,33%) (DEF 12)
10 Bart (HP:23/24) (DEF: 13)SP:1
08 Esteber (HP: 15/22) (DEF: 14) SP:1
04 Herja (HP: 16/20) (DEF: 12+8=20) SP:1

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Herja is practically blind (-4 to sight based actions) (Round 4 of 4)
Jul 25, 2015 12:48 pm
Alden shoots the same monster agian (the one with the 1% life is the same one that was attacking the lord, right?)

Rolls

Attack 14 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Defense 12 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jul 25, 2015 2:42 pm
Alden puts an arrow in the head of the lakeman to the rear. Killing it. +1 SP to Alden.

With the death of his last comrade, the final lake-man pauses in fear. He looks down to the ground, where the water from Herja's burst waterskin lay in puddles on the floor. The fish man steps into a puddle and falls into it, as if it were a deep pool. In an instant, he is gone...

VICTORY
76 xp each (4 enemies defeated, area explored)
All SP lost
No Breather (just yet)

Your victory is short lived as Lord Delmar steps forward. "Now, can we please leave this place? That one that escaped will alert others. They can appear in any amount of water in an instant. Your charge is dead. I saw him die at those creatures hands"

Lena, the young woman interrupts "No you didn't"

At that moment the older woman slaps her "Silence child, Lord Miles is right. He's dead"
Jul 25, 2015 3:57 pm
As the Lake man disappears, Bart stows his short sword and drops to his knees, where he picks up Gertrude amd holds the great sword close to his chest."I'm sorry precious... You did good back there, he mutters to the blade. "

After Lord Delmar speaks,

"What did you see Lena? And please, my lord, if you're in such a hot hurry the entrance is that way" Bart says gesturing with his thumb over his shoulder.
Last edited July 25, 2015 4:00 pm
Jul 25, 2015 4:39 pm
The girl looks like she wants to speak but holds her tongue as the older women eyes her narrowly.

"300 gold to leave now!" Lord Delmar sputters. "When you've seen us safely to my estate you can return here if you wish"
Jul 25, 2015 6:46 pm
Actually, I will have to agree with Lord Miles on this one; we should leave before more of them arrive, but we will definitely talk about the events that transpired here on the way. Also, I highly suggest that until we leave this place, or are far out of sight from the lake, none of use take our waterskins out of our backpacks. Now let's go... Herja, are you alright?
Last edited July 25, 2015 6:47 pm
Jul 26, 2015 1:49 am
(Herja's vision has returned to her)
Jul 26, 2015 4:18 pm
"Very well... You're lucky that I like gold and that my companion here has a soft spot for your - - entourage - -. Anyway, let's go"
With that Bart turns and starts toward the entrance.
Jul 26, 2015 8:07 pm
Alden, you might have a point with the masks, but the problem is that the only ones we founds are on dead bodies, and obviously, we cannot use water to clean them... at least not while we're still in here. So feel free to grab the masks on our way out if you want too, but personally, I'd rather not play with dead bodies, especially if we have no way of cleaning ourselves afterward...
Jul 26, 2015 8:16 pm
"I won't be the one saying not to leave this cursed place"

"I think I'll pick those masks up. I don't mind getting my backpack dirty, remember I'm already carrying some lizard heads and pelts anyway." *picks them and wraps them in some cloth before putting them inside his bag.
Jul 26, 2015 9:49 pm
Alden picks removes two masks from the dead cultists. One of the mask wearers appeared to be an older man, the other a younger one.

As the group prepares to leave the way it came, Lord Delmar speaks "Ahem... there is a more direct route the other direction. It leads to a staircase onto the old Apperson estate and is not as treacherous."
Jul 26, 2015 10:53 pm
You mean the old ruined manor on top of the cliff? How come we never found an access when we were there? Oh well, we didn't really searched or anything, I guess... Very well, lead the way.
Jul 27, 2015 2:20 am
"Hardly, You...Bartholemew? That way." Lord Delmar says as he points over to the natural stone ramp to the southwest.
Jul 27, 2015 4:47 am
Herja follows the rest of he group, hardly able to respond to Esteber's question if she is alright. Her vision has returned but her eyes still sting. It's just as well that they think the tears streaming down her face are because of the poison. In truth they are tears of anger at herself. How could she have been so useless a warrior in the battle against the lake-men? In fact, it had been her fault the lake-men had showed up a all! Clearly, the group sees her as a healer now, though there wasn't a word of thanks for that. She is right back where she started back in her tribe: people expect her to be a healer now. Herja had left the tribe to escape having to live up to expectations but now those expectations have caught up with her. She shakes her head angrily and plods on.
Jul 27, 2015 4:04 pm
Lord Delmar Miles points the way up a stone ramp into another cavern. In the torchlight you see a passage north that opens to a small shrine, complete with a statue of the buxom blue lady. To the south is a portion of cut stone wall with a thick, warped dungeon door.

Delmar sways your attention straight to the west where you see a stone stair leading up.

"There it is! Quickly"
Jul 27, 2015 4:58 pm
It's not trapped or anything else to that effect we should know about before we proceed?
Jul 27, 2015 5:23 pm
"No traps. It will terminate at a stone slab, simply move it aside enough to fit out, do not push it off.
Jul 27, 2015 5:41 pm
Bart nods at the new information, then climbs the stairs. When he reaches the slab he'll push aside like Lord Delmar explained.
Jul 27, 2015 7:17 pm
Bart finds himself in the same mausoleum that the group investigated in that old cemetery on the cliff side. He can feel Lord Miles and retinue piling up behind him in their hurry to leave.
Jul 27, 2015 10:21 pm
Of course, obviously, the mausoleum. I should have thought of that earlier... Well at least we know of another way in which won't require scaling a cliff now. Very well, let's continue to Lord Miles' estate. Now Lena, what was it you were saying about Atarin?
Jul 28, 2015 12:06 am
Esteber gets the feeling that if Lord Miles wasn't in such a hurry to get to his estate, he'd silence Lena. She walks a bit slower, permitting her and Esteber to talk.

"I saw him run down a passage to the north east. Two of those fish-men followed him, but we never saw what happened. Delmar is just frightened. He lost two associates in that place."
Jul 28, 2015 12:10 am
I see. Thank you Lena. Lore Miles, once we reach your estate, may I ask you some sheets of paper and ink so I can write down all of your testimonies, so I can make a report to my employer at the Adventurer's Guild? Feel free to deduct the cost of those from my share of the reward if doing so would trouble you too much... Hmm unless any of you guys have some on you. Bart? Alden? Herja?
Jul 28, 2015 1:19 am
"Just keep moving" the older woman says to Esteber as she collects Lena. It appears the conversation is over.
Jul 28, 2015 4:32 pm
"Har! Paper? I'm not exactly the writing stuff down type. Let's hurry up as the lady said so we can get paid, then get back to the caves to find our missing patron."
Jul 28, 2015 5:14 pm
After Bart's comment, Lord Delmar smiles at one of you for the first time.
Jul 29, 2015 3:17 am
You make your way to the main road and Lord Miles guides you towards his estate. (If someone wishes to talk to (or interrogate) anyone do it now!)
Jul 29, 2015 3:34 am
Before, we begin, Lord Miles, is it safe to use water here or should we refrain from it? Also, now that we're safe, I think you won't mind taking the time, you and your two other friends, to tell us what exactly happened down there, and why we found you rearing blue cultist robes...
Jul 29, 2015 7:04 am
"Oh, and where you lost your own masks, we might need them later..." adds to Esteber's questions.
Jul 29, 2015 2:04 pm
"What we do in the caves is our business..I have hired you to return us to my home, which you have done. I will send my butler for your payment. I can assure you we had nothing to do with that archaeologist's death and I daresay that whatever he was doing in the caverns attracted those beasts who seek to only to desecrate that place."

He then turns to Alden..."I am not concerned with any masks, and they provided no help against those lake-men, I'll tell you."

The butler arrives with a small wooden chest. "You may count it if you wish, I assure you it is all there. I am a man of my word."
Jul 29, 2015 4:39 pm
Very well then.

Esteper pockets his share, counting it.

I say we heal up a bit first since we did not have time to catch our breath and head back there. Herja, could you please hea...

Esteber stops mid-sentence when he finally notices how grumpy Herja is.

Hum, Herja, is everything okay?
Jul 29, 2015 5:07 pm
The blue robed people depart for the estate house, Lena looking back at Esteber briefly. As you rest the butler returns with a bottle of wine and some cheeses wrapped in cloth. "My thanks for returning the master safely"
Jul 29, 2015 5:23 pm
"Now that's gratitude! Bart says as he steals a swig of the wine. He takes a seat to catch his breath, and eat a bit of cheese.

After enough time to rest up,
"Alright then team, let's get to it. We don't need those fish people pulling Atarin into some weird watery orgy of death." Bart stands up with Gertrude ready for action on his shoulder.
Jul 29, 2015 8:27 pm
Save some for me. I,m not particularly thirsty or hungry right now, I'll partake in some wine and cheese later...
Jul 29, 2015 10:41 pm
"I-I'm alright, Esteber...thank you." Uncharacteristically, Herja seems more thoughtful than grumpy. She sees to her companions' wounds.
Jul 29, 2015 10:57 pm
Okay, if you say so.

After she's done tending to their wounds.

Thanks. Alright, now that we're in fighting shape, let's head back there.
Jul 30, 2015 10:13 am
The group makes their way back to the old Apperson estate and into the mausoleum. The sarcophagus turned secret stair leads down into the briny, mildewy dark
Jul 30, 2015 1:11 pm
Esteber relights the torch and acts as torch bearer once again.

So, same order as last time? Bart, Herja, Alden, and then me to close the rank? Ready when you are Bart...
Jul 30, 2015 4:46 pm
"Let's do this" Bart leads the group down the mildewy steps.

OOC: From the most recent map, are we entering from the 'left' side of the map?
Jul 30, 2015 5:17 pm
(yes)

In the torchlight, you are back in a cavern that you rushed through earlier. To your right (the south) you see a single iron-bound wooden door. To your left (north) is a passage leading to what must be a small shrine, as your torchlight catches the image of another big breasted statue of the Blue Lady. To the east you see the natural stair leading down to the cavern where the arga lizards were feasting on the fallen cultists, archaeological staff and their horses.
Jul 30, 2015 6:51 pm
How about we check that door in case we find more survivors hidden behind it? Then we can check out that shrine, assuming we won't have to escort more survivors out of here...
Jul 30, 2015 8:11 pm
Please allow me to check for traps before looking inside. *Alden listens for a moment for any noise behind the door Esteber wants to check and then checks for traps and tries to unlock it (if locked)

Rolls

Listen 10 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Disable traps 18 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Picking locks 18 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jul 31, 2015 12:03 am
Alden puts an ear to the door and hears nothing on the other side. He determines the door must be clear of traps, however it is locked. A quick twist with his picks and it unlocks.
Aug 4, 2015 7:49 am
And Alden readies his bow
Aug 4, 2015 10:16 am
Standing just behind Bart, Herja hefts her axe and shield.
Aug 4, 2015 1:28 pm
Beyond the door is a short hallway, with another door at the southern end of the corridor and one door to your left (east). This area, at one time, must have been very nicely appointed, but now the tapestries are moldy rags upon the ground, the blue painted walls are peeling, and small piles of rotten wood must have once been chairs against the wall.
Aug 4, 2015 4:00 pm
Bart curls his nose up at the moldy tapestries. "Never did like art much... Alden, why don't we try the side door next?"
Aug 4, 2015 8:00 pm
Alden looks at the ruined furniture and tapestries with annoyance. "All this expensive things turned to dust, sigh"

"Sure thing friend I'll check this door"

Rolls

Listen 10 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

(1) = 1

(14) = 14

Aug 4, 2015 11:06 pm
Alden puts an ear to the door, hearing nothing on the other side. He scans the door carefully for traps, and finds none. He checks the door and it is not locked. The group carefully opens the door, the small room beyond is covered with damp, moldering sitting room furniture.
Aug 4, 2015 11:23 pm
"What a waste of a perfectly good room..." Bart walks in to have a quick look around, kicking over broken furniture.

Rolls

(20) = 20

Aug 4, 2015 11:40 pm
Bart goes around the room kicking the piles of rotten furniture, one pile bursts into a writhing mass of beetles! A swarm attacks,

They rush up his legs, covering his torso and weeding through the holes in his armor. He shouts in pain (14pts of damage!)

Rolls

Swarm Attacks Bart = 16 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Aug 4, 2015 11:44 pm
ROUND 1

10 Esteber (HP: 22/22) (DEF: 14) SP: 1
08 Bart (HP:8/24) (DEF: 13) SP: 1
08 Beetle Swarm (HP:40%) (DEF:6)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Bart is in melee
Aug 5, 2015 7:18 am
"Oh, shit, here we go again!"

Alden shoots at the swarm

OOC (not sure if my weapon is very efective with a swam, probably not).

Rolls

Alden attack 16 -1 (Bart on melee) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Beetle Swarm (DEF:16) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Aug 5, 2015 3:41 pm
"Gah!" Bart squeals in alarm as the beetles start to crawl up his leg. He slashes Gertrude at them, trying desperately to dissuade the swarm of beasts.

OOC: For the record, I should be back at initiative 8 with Esteber, as I've got Gertrude again.

Rolls

Attack! MAT: 17 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Defence 16(-4 2H Sword)=12 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Aug 5, 2015 4:56 pm
Bart smashes nearly half of the bugs by bring his sword down flatly upon them. +1 SP to Bart

(Notice the swarm's new defense, folks)
Aug 9, 2015 7:01 pm
(OOC: With my recent purchase of Lightning Reflexes at rank I, I should be at 10 INI.)
Aug 10, 2015 2:43 pm
OOC: Wait, did we level up? I must have missed that :-P
Last edited August 10, 2015 7:45 pm
Aug 10, 2015 6:59 pm
Esteber will swat at the swarm with his sword, trying his best to get those beetles off of Bart without hurting him.

Rolls

Esteber's Attack (MAT 14) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Swarm's DEF (DEF 8) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Aug 12, 2015 1:59 am
Esteber smashes a few beetles with his sword. +1 SP to Esteber
Aug 18, 2015 1:45 am
Beetles attack Bart

and manage to bite for 2 damage

Rolls

Beetles attack Bart CTN 6 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Aug 18, 2015 2:55 am
Herja is disgusted by the beetles but she wades through them to get to Bart. She stumbles as she reaches for him, miscasting the healing spell.
Last edited August 18, 2015 3:41 am

Rolls

Healing Touch Bart TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver 1 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Aug 18, 2015 12:01 pm
ROUND 2

10 Esteber (HP: 22/22) (DEF: 14) SP: 1
08 Bart (HP:8/24) (DEF: 13) SP: 1
08 Beetle Swarm (HP:40%) (DEF:6)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Bart is in melee
Aug 18, 2015 5:31 pm
Alden will spend this turn aiming "I need to be carefull, I don't want to miss my shot and hit Bart"
Aug 18, 2015 6:30 pm
Esteber will swipe at the swarm again.

(OOC: Are you #$% kidding me!? XD)
Last edited August 18, 2015 6:32 pm

Rolls

(10) = 10

Swarm's DEF (DEF 6) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Swarm's DEF Slaying Dice (CTN 6) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Aug 18, 2015 7:15 pm
Bart pushes back the pain and girds his loins (Spending 1 SP to increase DEF +3) and he slams Gertrude down upon the pile of bugs, cursing at them.

Rolls

Bart Attack - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Swarm DEF (6) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Aug 18, 2015 7:18 pm
The last of the bugs scatter away into cracks in the walls as the swarm is reduced to a crunchy paste.

VICTORY

XP: 20 each (17 + recent explored rooms)

All SP are lost
Aug 18, 2015 9:05 pm
Those little critters were sure hungry. hopefully, they bit off more than they could chew... I suggest we let Bart catch his breath, and then have a look around this room, in case we disturb any more of those beetles...
Aug 19, 2015 5:41 pm
Bart removes his armor and shakes his arms and legs, dead beetles slide out of his sleeves and pant legs.

"Dang it! I think one is still in there" He gripes, digging in his rear.

(Catch your breath complete) + 8 HP (now 16/24)
Aug 19, 2015 5:59 pm
Even though Bart insists he is hale enough to continue, he is still bleeding from half a dozen cuts. Herja reaches for him to heal him...as soon as he is done groping his behind, that is!

Rolls

Healing Touch Bart: TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver (1) = CTN (10) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Aug 19, 2015 8:26 pm
Once Herja is done healing Bart, Esteber will start looking around the room, see if he finds anything of worth...

Rolls

Esteber's Search check (CTN8) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Aug 24, 2015 12:30 pm
The room has little else to offer and no other visible exits.
Aug 24, 2015 1:03 pm
"Shall we continue to the next room, fellows?"
Aug 24, 2015 1:45 pm
Very well then Alden, let's check that other door...
Aug 24, 2015 2:22 pm
"Wait just a moment." Herja approaches Bart and lightly touches Gertrude.
OOC: Oh crap, what does a fumble do, turn his weapon to dust? :-P
Last edited August 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Rolls

Enchant Weapon. Not sure which is applicable, SPC=11 or TSC=8 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Changing Spell: MND (8) + IN (2) = CTN (10) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Aug 25, 2015 11:48 pm
You forget your spell and have to roll MND+IN to remember it (roll not req'd outside of combat) but you should state what spell you are remembering for next combat
Aug 26, 2015 5:48 am
Dextolen says:
You forget your spell and have to roll MND+IN to remember it (roll not req'd outside of combat) but you should state what spell you are remembering for next combat
Back to heal bot mode :-D
Aug 26, 2015 6:59 am
Alden goes to check the next door as Esteber suggested.

Rolls

Listen 10 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

(11) = 11

(9) = 9

Aug 28, 2015 2:18 pm
Alen listens to the door and hears nothing beyond. The door is swollen shut, it appears to have been this way for years. THere are faded gilded lettering on the door that reads "Hi h Pr s " Nothing out of the ordinary but it will require a bit of effort to open.

(Feat of Strength BOD+STR+1 (if using crowbar))
Aug 28, 2015 2:27 pm
Bart, I do believe you have a crowbar, how about giving it a try, Just holler if you need help...

(OOC: Which makes my thinks, Have you came up with any rules for "helping others on checks", and if not, mind if I make a proposal?)
Aug 28, 2015 2:34 pm
I have used this -

Helper makes a check (type of check may or may not be the same Attribute/Trait combo) If successful, the character performing the check gets +2 to his CTN. Helpful in situations were there is a penalty.
Aug 28, 2015 2:34 pm
May even be simple as a pep talk (MND+AU) but I would make you roleplay it and if it failed would incur a penalty - otherwise people would do this every check!
Aug 31, 2015 11:55 am
Bart shoulders the door open with the help of the crowbar. - but the door holds tight.

Rolls

Feat of Str 8+4+1 = 13 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Aug 31, 2015 2:35 pm
Alright, let me help you...

Esteber sheathe his sword and hands the torch to Alden before taking position on the other side of the crowbar, pushing while Bart pulls...

Rolls

Esteber's Feat Of Strength check (BOD+ST+Crowbar, CTN 13) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 1, 2015 2:33 am
This door is not giving up. I'll allow a rule from Starslayers, -2 cumulative to try again

Bart spits in his hands and wrenches the door again

Rolls

CTN 12 +1 -2 = 11 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Sep 1, 2015 2:35 am
And the door rips open, stuck after many years.

Esteber waves the torch inside and sees what once was possibly a luxurious bedroom / office. It appears molded and rotted like the rest of the rooms so far. There is a door in the opposite wall, north east.
Sep 1, 2015 6:41 pm
"Har! Told you no door could stand up to me! -- What? Why are you looking at me like that? Let's try the next one." Bart moves carefully into the room checking out all the mouldy furniture.
Sep 1, 2015 8:39 pm
Esteber draws his blade again, taking the torch from Alden, following Bart into the room...
Sep 1, 2015 9:31 pm
This chamber is filled with damp, moldering bedroom furniture. A crumbling locker at the foot of the bed has spilled its contents out onto the floor - a number of strange devices perhaps used in bizarre rituals of the flesh.
Sep 2, 2015 9:40 am
Alden, with visible disgust in his face inspects the contents of the locker.

OOC. the goddess of fortune is an evil bitch, criting with Alden on search rolls and fumbling with Saru in combat....
Last edited September 2, 2015 9:41 am

Rolls

Perception roll, in case is needed 10 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Sep 2, 2015 11:33 am
Alden finds a phallus shaped object made of gold. Could be worth something
Sep 2, 2015 11:46 am
Alden giggles while picking the "artifact" with two fingers "Anyone want to try sense magic on this?"
Sep 2, 2015 11:52 am
Herja grimaces in disgust. "Let's move on, shall we?"
Sep 2, 2015 12:19 pm
"yeah.. sure... what I though...." Alden puts the gilded willie in his backpack "Maybe we can sell this later to an eccentric landlord or lady..."

"sooo... should I check the next door?"
Sep 2, 2015 1:32 pm
The door leading out of this room on the opposite side of the way you entered looks warped and stuck as well.
Sep 2, 2015 1:54 pm
Well Bart, looks like it's crowbar time again. Need a hand?
Last edited September 2, 2015 1:54 pm
Sep 2, 2015 8:52 pm
"I don't need a crowbar!" Bart moves toward the door, and lays a hard kick toward the lock of the door.

Rolls

BOD +STR=12 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 2, 2015 10:18 pm
The warrior feels something SNAP in his leg. It has a sprain. -1 to MR until he rests 8 hours.
Sep 2, 2015 11:17 pm
Herja hurries over to the big man and touches his hurt leg, hoping her meager healing talent will be enough.

Rolls

(7) = 7

Sep 3, 2015 12:13 am
The healing magic takes the pain away but one step reveals that it is still injured (-1 MR)
Sep 3, 2015 1:58 am
Bart, Bart, Bart, you're not supposed to grab the crowbar with your teeth... Here, let me have a go...

Esteber will once again sheathe his sword and hand the torch to Alden. He will borrow Bart's crowbar while Herja attempts to heal him and give it a try himself...

(OOC: This must be karma... XD)
Last edited September 3, 2015 1:58 am

Rolls

Esteber's Feat Of Strength check (BOD+ST+Crowbar, CTN 13) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 3, 2015 3:21 am
The crowbar snaps in Esteber's hands. No longer usable
Sep 3, 2015 4:00 am
This door is obviously cursed. Let's move on...
Sep 3, 2015 5:46 am
Herja gets up from attempting to heal Bart's leg. She looks at the door and gently puts her palm against it.

"Wouldn't it be funny if...nah."
Last edited September 3, 2015 5:47 am

Rolls

Feat Of Strength check (BOD+ST=CTN 11) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 3, 2015 11:25 am
I will permit follow up attempts at -2 (cumulative) per failed attempt (as in Starslayers).
Sep 3, 2015 1:56 pm
Seeing nothing bad happened to Herja, Esteber thinks the door might not be cursed after all and will attempt to open the door one last time...

Hmm, I guess all those attempts must have loosened it. Thanks guys. Well, hopefully there will be nothing behind, otherwise it's quite aware of our presence now...
Last edited September 3, 2015 1:57 pm

Rolls

Esteber's Feat Of Strength check (BOD+ST-2, CTN 10) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Sep 3, 2015 2:14 pm
Beyond the door is a natural cavern tunnel, going northwest and southeast. Both appear to open up into larger areas, you're certain the northern path leads back to the expansive cavern where you came across all that grisly carnage (the smell wafts here in the air), the southern passage...who can tell.
Sep 3, 2015 4:02 pm
"Well done Esteber! I, of course, would have had it, but I'm quite sure I tripped on some form of rodent or something... Anyway, shall we try the southern passage?"

Bart starts to limp his way toward the southern passage, careful to remain in the torchlight.
Sep 3, 2015 4:15 pm
As Bart moves down the passage, it opens into a natural cavern that is dimly lit by phosphorescent lichen. The plants cast a blue hue over the room, which features two natural pools and a statue of the Blue Lady (the more fishy version you may recall from the tome and silver statue found earlier). She is holding her hands out and looking down, as if blessing the waters at her feet and her face looks as loving as a catfish maw could appear.

In one of the pools sits a bloody, rotting rear quarters of a donkey, perhaps one of Atarin's pack animals? The other pool appears to hold some sort of globs of gel. That's all you can make out at this distance. Another passage leads out of the Northeast part of the room, presumably linking back up with the large caverns you've explored.
Sep 3, 2015 5:31 pm
Woah there! Careful guys, remember those fish men can come out of any bodies of water, and we have two pools there... I say we go explore north, I believe there is a passageway we haven't checked yet, as for this room... Well, I guess e can always come back and check it if we run out of options...
Sep 3, 2015 6:41 pm
"Those fish-men were pretty annoying... suit yourself, let's see what else we've missed in here"
Sep 3, 2015 7:26 pm
You avoid going near the pools and move to the other tunnel, which empties out back in the first main cavern you came to after opening the bronze doors. This leaves only twopathways in the north to explore, one of which you think empties in a small shrine to the human looking goddess. The other leads to the unknown...

Rolls

Secret - (1d6)

Sep 3, 2015 10:04 pm
I say we head into the unknown. Last I remember, that shrine roomed looked empty, and our employer Atarin did not looked like he was hiding there. Besides, it's not like the room will sprout legs and run away; we can always come back to it...
Sep 3, 2015 10:08 pm
"Unknown it is! We'll probably want a bath after all this dusty dungeoneering later anyway."
Bart moves along with kalajel toward the unknown area.
Sep 3, 2015 11:42 pm
The passage goes for just a couple of meters when it forks into tunnels, one goes down slightly and the other up, for a while they are a part of the same cavern, creating a shelf like appearance.
Sep 4, 2015 7:16 am
"Should we go up first? to be sure no one jumps on our heads from above."
Sep 4, 2015 2:59 pm
I was thinking up as well. Also, while we walk, I think we really need to come up with a plan to deal with those pools of water in the statue room. Those pools effectively means we can get attacked by endless hordes of lakemen, not a prospect I am looking forward too. I was thinking of pouring lantern oil on top and setting it on fire... Any other ideas?
Sep 4, 2015 3:14 pm
"I have some fish-masks here we can try to wear, maybe they fool the fishmen"

OOC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI
Sep 4, 2015 3:38 pm
Lord Miles said those will not work. Not that I exactly trust him, but then again, if they did worked, we would have found them wearing masks. I'm just saying...
Sep 4, 2015 4:52 pm
"Well, the only plan I had was to twirl my lovely Gertrude around like it were the Harvest festival. But your fire idea sounds solid. Let's see where this high road takes us."
Sep 4, 2015 5:07 pm
You travel for only a couple of meters when you come to a hallway leading right, it opens into a small room. In the torchlight you see once fine furniture now moldering scraps. Beyond is an ironbound wooden door in the east wall is locked and covered with fresh claw marks.

The passage you are on also continues north, and you think it widens into a cavern. In fact, you catch the outline of a lakeman's head among the stalagmites.
Sep 4, 2015 9:27 pm
Esteber whispers as he spots the lakeman in the distance.

Hmm, great, more of those fish faces... That iron-bound door might very well be locked or barred and if we attempt to open it, this guy over there might hear us and get a few of his friends to attack us in that small room with no way out... I'm not really happy about this, but I think we need to take care of that guy, and his possible friends before we do anything with that door...
Sep 4, 2015 9:40 pm
"Alden, think you can sneak around while I keep his attention? Gertrude is aching for a dance"
Sep 5, 2015 10:39 am
"Sure, but what's exactly the plan, big man?"
Last edited September 5, 2015 10:39 am
Sep 5, 2015 5:56 pm
"I go say hi, you stab him in the back? Or I just cut his head off" Barth shrugs and looks toward the Lake man in the other room.
Sep 5, 2015 10:26 pm
He hasn't moved, just looking down the hall in your direction....you can't make out much more than a silhouette...
Sep 6, 2015 2:04 am
We don't even know if he's alone in there... Well anyways, he must've noticed the light of the torch by now... Alright, let's go tell him 'hello"...
Sep 6, 2015 3:26 am
The party races in to confront the lakeman

ROUND 1

10 Esteber (HP: 22/22) (DEF: 14)
01 Lakeman (HP: 100%) (DEF: 20)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Sep 6, 2015 6:46 am
"Well I'm not of the stabby kind anyway. I'm more of the shooting from the hell away kind of scout..." Says Alden while shooting at the fisshman.

Rolls

Attack 16 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Def 20 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Sep 6, 2015 11:20 am
The arrow bounces off of the lakeman, who is unmoved by the attack....
Sep 6, 2015 3:02 pm
Careful everyone, this one looks tough!

Rolls

Esteber's attack (MAT 14) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Lakeman's DEF (DEF 20) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Sep 6, 2015 4:49 pm
Bart dashes up the the lakeman alongside Esteber, drawing Gertrude as he does. He brings the mighty blade around towards the lakeman's neck.

Rolls

MAT 17+weapon paste=18 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Defence =20-4(2h sword) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 6, 2015 7:27 pm
Bart hears the clang of Gertrude striking stone. His sword strike was strong enough to crack the statue and the head topples off. As Esteber and the others follow behind him with the torch, all can see that there are at least 6 realistic statues of lakemen in this natural cavern, all in different poses. A bucket of water sits near some scrub brushes and fine tools at the center of the room. There is an empty space, free of stalagmites next to them.

Someone has made a wooden plank walkway - probably Atarin and his crew. Archaeological tools, brushes, bins of stone and sand are scattered along the wooden walkway that leads to another chamber that looks more recently excavated.
Sep 6, 2015 10:12 pm
Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! We were fighting darn statues all along... Okay, do you guys want to check out this room or go back to the room with the iron-bound door? Also, perhaps we should get rid of this bucket of water before more lakemen pop out of it...
Sep 7, 2015 7:19 am
Alden kicks the water bucket so no more lakemen appear. "I'm sure we'll all laugh about it when we are safe near a fireplace with a beer in our hands and some stew in our bellies."

Alden looks around to try to find Altarin and his people's footsteps (I think the hunter talent applies?).

Rolls

Search roll 12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 8, 2015 12:32 am
No tracks in this area. As the water trickles off the wooden planks and onto the cavern floor, it collects in small pools.
Sep 8, 2015 2:39 am
Hum... I'm not sure this will solve our problem Alden.

Estebers readies himself, fully expecting lakemen to jump out of the puddle...
Sep 8, 2015 3:26 am
"Looks like this is where our patron was working.. Hopefully we won't find his corpse in the next chamber...What is it Esteber? Oh, the puddles, aye we should be ready for company."

Bart draws Gertrude and advances along the planks toward the next chamber.
Sep 8, 2015 4:03 pm
This area appears is made from carved stone rather than natural cavern walls. It is clearly some sort of burial chamber or crypt. There are doors along each wall (1 on the northern wall, 3 on the southern). The first isn't sealed, the rest have stone doors. In the lintels above the sealed doors there are names. The walls are adorned with paintings of men and women sleeping in the bosom of the Blue Lady, who is looking down on them in an uncomfortable mix of sensuality and matronly love.

You'd like to study the room further but running at you is a crazed looking, burly but half starved man in tattered blue robes covered in something foul. "THE FISH MEN - THEY ARE COMING. THEY WILL KILL US ALL. WE MUST JOIN THEM!!!! SUBMIT TO THEIR GODDESS!!!"
Bart is not certain if he's charging past him or at him...
Sep 8, 2015 4:56 pm
Woah there, calm down good friend. We are sent by the Adventurer's Guild to render aid to Atarin. Are you he?
Sep 8, 2015 5:15 pm
Bart grabs the frightened man tightly as he runs by, then waits for him to answer Esteber's query. If he hesitates, Bart will give him a shake to jar his marbles free.
Sep 8, 2015 5:41 pm
"HAVE YOU SEEN THEM? THEY TRAVEL THROUGH WATER! THEY ARE WATER! ONE CAME OUT OF MY PISS ONE TIME! ISN'T THE BODY 98% WATER? COULD COME OUT OF ME RIGHT NOWWWWW!!!!"

Bart can see that he's covered in his own filth, has hardened hands (a life of hard labor of some kind), and his arms have burns on them. He's also very strong and doesn't want to be held.

Contested Feat of Strength : BOD+ST

Rolls

Mad man tries to break free 8+5=13 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Sep 8, 2015 6:08 pm
Bart struggles against the crazed man. "Calm down you fool! Can't you see we're equipped to handle these fish beasts?"

Rolls

BOD +STR=12 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Sep 8, 2015 6:19 pm
The man bursts out of Bart's arms and flees. He runs past Esteber followed by Alden and Herja (unless they wish to do something)
Sep 8, 2015 8:04 pm
"Wait!! we are here to take everyone out of here!! we'll guide outside of this cave to safety! away from those monsters!"
Sep 8, 2015 9:33 pm
Estber will simply trip him.
Sep 8, 2015 10:07 pm
Please make a BOD+ST roll.
Sep 8, 2015 10:31 pm
(OOC: Hmm, I find it odd that putting my leg in his way requires a check, but okay, here goes...)

Rolls

Esteber's Trip attempt (BOD+ST, CTN 12) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Sep 8, 2015 10:35 pm
you could go MOB+AG, but I was thinking more about the push back/push down - probably easier for a fighter.
Sep 8, 2015 10:36 pm
Esteber knocks the man over and he grabs onto Esteber's leg trying to bite him through his boot.
Sep 8, 2015 10:46 pm
Esteber will point the tip of his sword against his face.

Calm down buddy, we mean you no harm, but if you insist on being belligerent, I'll be more than happy to oblige you; I've had a bit of a bad day today... So, we can either calm down, we'll even escort you out of this place if you want, but we need to talk. We are looking for Atarin; guild business...
Sep 9, 2015 3:12 am
"Feisty little blighter, careful his teeth don't find any purchase Esteber, he looks rabid"
Sep 9, 2015 3:19 am
"I'M TURNING INTO A LAKE MAN! GRRRRR" he says, biting at Esteber's boot.
Sep 9, 2015 3:40 am
I have no time for this...

Esteber will try to bop him on the head with the pommel of his sword.

(OOC: Do you like have a rule for pulling your blows / inflicting subdual damage?)

Rolls

Esteber's pommel attack (MAT 14) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 9, 2015 12:05 pm
The crazy man goes "OWW!" and you think perhaps with his fatigue and possible injuries, you send him into unconsciousness.

Rolls

Crazy Man's DEF 8+4=12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 9, 2015 12:07 pm
Herja and Alden (those not immediately occupied with the mad man, please give me either perception checks or MND+AU checks, which ever is better for you.
Sep 9, 2015 12:28 pm
There you go...

Rolls

Perception check 10 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Sep 9, 2015 12:35 pm
Alden is too busy watching this nutcase to detect anything else...
Sep 9, 2015 1:38 pm

Rolls

MND+AU = CTN 11 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 9, 2015 2:16 pm
Yes, that guy is very distracting. Nothing to see here, move along...
Sep 9, 2015 2:41 pm
Alright, let's drag this poor sunvabitch out of here. Maybe he'll be more amenable if he wakes up out of those caves and we'll actually be able to get something out of him...
Sep 9, 2015 2:42 pm
"Sounds like a good plan to me"
Sep 9, 2015 3:13 pm
The abandoned mansion on top of the cliff sounds like a good place. I doubt Lord Miles will be happy to see us back, especially with someone else... Bart, can you carry our friend? I'm already holding the torch, so...
Sep 9, 2015 3:58 pm
Bart steps up and grabs the filthy man, curling his nose at the stink of the man. "Let's get this over with, for a man who's about to become a lake man, I don't think he's been rinsed off in a while."
Sep 9, 2015 4:16 pm
Well, with those things coming out of water, can you really blame him. He must have seen horrible things... Do you really think he was raving when he said they came out of his piss once, or do you think he was telling the truth?
Sep 9, 2015 4:21 pm
"I hope he was raving, though four of the bastards came out of Herja's waterskin, and that wasn't very much water at all."
Sep 9, 2015 4:21 pm
So is the plan to carry the unconscious man back to the mansion?
Sep 9, 2015 4:30 pm
OOC: Take him back and lock him in a tool shed? Or maybe just in the mausoleum?
Sep 9, 2015 4:34 pm
(OOC: Yes Dex. Grendel, can't really lock him in the mausoleum since this is where the stairs come out... Maybe we'll be lucky and find a relatively intact closet at the mansion or something or els we can just hog-tie him... Anyone got rope?)
Sep 9, 2015 5:40 pm
You make your way back up to the ruined mansion. Alden knows of one room with enough door left to lock him in. It has started to rain as you step out of the mausoleum
Sep 9, 2015 5:52 pm
Alright, I hate to leave him alone here, but hopefully he'll be still out for a while longer, and just waiting for him to come to might be a bit of a waste of time. I suggest we head back to camp and try to look among the supplies for lamp oil and rags. We make ourselves some firebombs and keep a few intact for pouring over large puddles of water we find. If they can really come out of any liquid, like that man said, then we'll give them some very special liquid to come out of and give them pause to @#$% with us any longer... Of course, the problem is the camp is right next to the lake...
Sep 9, 2015 6:01 pm
"So we don't stick around too long, lets head down there, find some oil, and do the work of assembling the bombs back in the tomb." Bart grins, "I can't wait to see the look on their fishy faces when we light up their water!"

Rolls

Search roll for when they reach the camp. Base CTN 8 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Sep 10, 2015 7:24 am
Alden starts to look really frightened.
"Fellows....
...it's raining..."
Sep 10, 2015 7:37 am
Herja grits her teeth. "Varl help us."
Sep 10, 2015 1:58 pm
You make your way carefully back to Atarin's camp site. Nothing comes out of the rain, except for you getting wet. When you get to the site. It doesn't appear anyone else has disturbed the camp any further, judging from how it looks. You begin looking for oil...

Bart comes up empty, only finding some soggy bread and a small bag of pipeweed.
Sep 10, 2015 2:19 pm
Esteber will also attempt a Search check.

Rolls

Esteber's Search check (CTN8) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 10, 2015 2:24 pm
Esteber uncovers some undergarments and a jar of pickled pigs feet.
Sep 10, 2015 2:50 pm
"The sooner we find anything the sooner we'll be out of this cursed rain..." Says Alden while having a look at some boxes.

"Nope, nothing, can we get out of here, please?" begs while looking at the lake in abject fear...
Last edited September 10, 2015 2:51 pm

Rolls

Perception check 10 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 10, 2015 3:07 pm
"Any luck Herja?" Bart looks at Alden, "yeah I think I'm sufficiently soaked, let's get back to the murderous Lake monsters."
Sep 10, 2015 3:13 pm
Herja pokes her head up from rummaging among some sacks.

Rolls

Search - MND+IN = CTN 10 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Sep 10, 2015 3:20 pm
Alden finds a coil of rope.
Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm
Dextolen says:
Alden finds a coil of rope.
OOC: well that's useful :)
Sep 10, 2015 3:47 pm
Esteber will keep en eye out for lakemen while ripping the undergarments into cloth strips while the rest of the party looks for lantern oil.

Take your time and keep looking guys, I'm keeping an eye out and preparing the rags for the firebombs...

(OOC: Feel free to make repeated checks...)
Sep 10, 2015 3:52 pm
"Stupid fish-men, making me dig around wet bags..."

" Apparently these people didn't believe in lamps! "
Last edited September 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Rolls

Search CTN 8 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Sep 10, 2015 7:03 pm

Rolls

Search - MND+IN = CTN 10 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Sep 10, 2015 7:09 pm
You feel you've exhausted your inspection of the camp.
Sep 10, 2015 8:21 pm
Really? No lantern oil? Damn, maybe they had the same Idea I had and already used it all fighting those lakemen... Oh well, let's go back to our guest, to see if he woke up and is more willing to talk now...
Sep 14, 2015 2:16 pm
You make your way back up to the room and you find the rope has been cut and the man is gone. He left his soiled robes there, however.
Sep 14, 2015 3:08 pm
"Well hopefully the slippery bastard didn't decide to go back underground. Maybe he'll find his way back to Praern and sing our praises..." Bart looks unconvinced by his own words.

"Let's head back down, I'm getting sick of not trusting puddles by the trail. "
Sep 14, 2015 3:25 pm
The group makes its way back down into the caverns. Please tell me where you are going to first.
Sep 14, 2015 3:36 pm
"Should we continue where we left? the room with all those creepy statues?"
Sep 14, 2015 3:41 pm
Yeah, we can search this room, and then go back with that room with the iron bound door...
Sep 14, 2015 4:45 pm
You pass through the large caverns, past the giant lizard's carnage, up the hall past the room with a door to the cavern with the wood planked floor and lake-men statues - beyond is a carved stone hall with crypts.
Sep 16, 2015 2:33 am
Okay, was there anything you guys wanted to search here?
Sep 16, 2015 5:07 am
"Not me. I'm ready to see what's in there." Bart points with his left hands towards the crypts.

OOC: Bart will lead the way in when everyone is ready.
Sep 16, 2015 2:52 pm
With the sort of day we're having right now, why do I have the feeling we'll end up fighting undeads in there... Alright, when you guys are ready...
Sep 16, 2015 2:57 pm
Alden readies his bow and nods to Bart.
Sep 16, 2015 5:00 pm
There are four tombs in this crypt. Three of which are sealed. One to the southwest is open and unused. Nothing inside the empty space. The one to the Northeast says "LORD CRANDALL APPERSON" above it.
Sep 16, 2015 5:08 pm
Well guys, do your searching... I'll go ahead and stand guard against the inevitable trouble which will invariably befall on us...
Sep 16, 2015 6:50 pm
Bart looks to Alden, "When did he become such of a pessimist? Anyway, this room seems a little anti climatic."

"hmm. Lord Apperson again, to be so rich that your corpse can live in this kind of luxury..."

Rolls

Search CTN 8 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Sep 17, 2015 7:26 am
"An ancestor to the lord Apperson we met before?"

Rolls

Regular search roll 10 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Find traps 18 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

(8) = 8

Sep 17, 2015 10:34 am
Alden hears scratching coming from behind the Apperson tomb door...

(OOC -You met Lord Delmar Miles, young Lena Apperson and two others who never disclosed their names. The mausoleum said Lord Crandall Apperson.
Sep 17, 2015 11:09 am
"There's something behind that door, prepare yourselves"
Sep 17, 2015 11:12 am
The door is really just a bricked up opening. It will require a BOD+CO-2 roll to break it down, if that is desired. I'd give you a crowbar bonus but I think you snapped yours in half, right?
Sep 17, 2015 11:16 am
OOC: Yep, I think we fumbled a str roll with it. Well that's a job for Bart, I'll fail for sure and don't want to start adding mallus to this roll.
Sep 17, 2015 2:06 pm
"Well Esteber, get ready with your 'I told you that was a bad idea...'"
Bart sheathed Gertrude, pulls out it own crowbar and tries to pull down the bricks.

Rolls

BOD +CO =11 +crowbar(2?) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 17, 2015 2:44 pm
Some dust trickles down but the bricks don't budge. You may repeat at -2.
Sep 17, 2015 2:59 pm
With a bellow, Bart tries again, angered that these bricks are making him look weak.

Rolls

BOD +CO =11 +crowbar(2?)-2(repeat) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 17, 2015 3:03 pm
Bart knocks the wall down. Beyond is a room with a large sarcophagus and in the corner a stone pool - but standing in front of you is what appears to be a waterlogged zombie or ghoul - of what once was an old man who clearly has a head injury and broken neck. It gargles an attack cry and moves forward....
Sep 17, 2015 3:05 pm
ROUND 1

10 Esteber (HP: 21/22) (DEF: 14)
05 Lord Apperson/Ashogarr (HP: 100%) (DEF: 20)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Sep 17, 2015 3:12 pm
Alden shoots the zombie while screaming like a little girl.

Rolls

Attack 16 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Def 20 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Sep 17, 2015 4:45 pm
I called it!

Esteber will slash at the thing.

Rolls

(11) = 11

Lord Apperson's DEF (DEF 20) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Lord Apperson's Slayer Dice (CTN 20) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Sep 17, 2015 4:48 pm
Bart drops the crowbar, and dashes in alongside Esteber, bringing sweet Gertrude to bear.

OOC: If drawing Gertrude is a whole action, then disregard my rolls :) I'll still move in.

Rolls

Defence 20-4(2H)=16 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Attack! MAT: 17+1(Weapon Paste)=18 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm
The ashogarr gurgles and attacks Esteber with his soggy claws

Doing 1 pt of damage.

Despite the attack being a mere scratch, Esteber feels his lungs start to fill with water.

Please make a BOD+CO roll to defy poison

Rolls

Ashogarr Attacks CTN 18 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Esteber DEF 14 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Sep 17, 2015 5:14 pm
Esteber attempts to resist the poison.

(OOC: The RGN hates me... -_-)
Last edited September 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Rolls

Esteber's Defy Poison check (BOD+CO, CTN 12) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 17, 2015 5:19 pm
Next round Esteber will begin drowning.(Suffering d20 defendable less armor AV) / round.
Sep 17, 2015 6:52 pm
With a guttural battlecry, Herja charges in, her hatchet swinging.

Rolls

Brutal Blow MAT (12) + BOD (8)= CTN (20) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Enemy DEF 20 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Sep 17, 2015 8:13 pm
ROUND 2

10 Esteber (HP: "21/22) (DEF: 14) SP=1
08 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13) SP=1
05 Lord Apperson/Ashogarr (HP: 93%) (DEF: 20)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Esteber is "drowning"
Sep 18, 2015 9:53 pm
Alden keeps on firing arrow after arrow silent and focused on bringing the monster down.

OOC: oh come on, what are the odds to have exactly the same attack and defense rolls twice in a row?
Last edited September 18, 2015 9:54 pm

Rolls

Attack 16 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Def 20 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Sep 19, 2015 12:58 am
Esteber will continue in his attempt at slashing at the abomination as he starts chocking and spiting out water...

Rolls

Drowning Damage - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Esteber's DEF against Drowning Damage (without armor, DEF 12) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

(14) = 14

Creature's DEF (DEF 20) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Sep 19, 2015 3:21 pm
"Die! Uhh... again you monstrosity!" Bart swings Gertrude with aa vengeance.

Rolls

MAT 17+weapon paste=18 - (1D20)

(7) = 7

Defence =20-4(2h sword) =16 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Sep 19, 2015 3:45 pm
The Ashogarr turns to Bart and reaches a water-logged claw out at him.

Again, the claws just scratch the warrior (2 pts damage) but he feels water building in his lungs!

Make a BOD+CO check or Bart begins to drown.

Rolls

Ashogarr attacks Bart CTN 18 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 20, 2015 4:51 pm
"A lucky shot, fish breath"

Rolls

BOD+CO=11 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Sep 20, 2015 5:43 pm
Herja tries another swing at the creature.

Rolls

MAT (12) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Enemy DEF 20 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Sep 20, 2015 6:06 pm
The drowning feeling subsides within Bart
Sep 20, 2015 6:06 pm
ROUND 3

10 Esteber (HP: "18/22) (DEF: 14) SP=1
08 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13) SP=2
05 Lord Apperson/Ashogarr (HP: 72%) (DEF: 20)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Esteber & Bart are "drowning"
Sep 20, 2015 9:51 pm
Alden continues shooting

Rolls

attack 16 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

def 20 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Sep 22, 2015 3:24 am
(OOC: Sorry, I was waiting for Alden to roll the zombie's slaying dice...)

Esteber continues to cough out water as he attacks the zombie again.

Rolls

Drowning damage. - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Esteber's DEF against drowning damage (CTN12) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

(16) = 16

Zombie's DEF (DEF 20) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 22, 2015 12:21 pm
Esteber continues to drown
Sep 23, 2015 9:20 pm
Bart hefts Gertrude and takes an angry swing at the waterlogged zombie.

Rolls

(15) = 15

(11) = 11

Sep 24, 2015 12:35 am
The Ashogarr claws at Bart in anger, sea foam frothing on its lips. If this had once been a stately Lord he is certainly no longer!

Bart suffers a serious wound 17 pts & feels water welling up in his lungs again! (BOD+CO please)

Rolls

Attacks Bart CTN 18 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 24, 2015 12:42 am
"*gargle**cough*"

OOC: owwwww

Rolls

BOD+CO=11 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 24, 2015 10:38 am
Herja falls back and reaches out to Bart.

Rolls

(3) = 3

Sep 24, 2015 1:42 pm
You can heal 3 damage or stop drowning with that success, your choice
Sep 24, 2015 1:50 pm
Dextolen says:
You can heal 3 damage or stop drowning with that success, your choice
Stop the drowning.
Sep 24, 2015 2:31 pm
The terrifying sensation ceases
Sep 28, 2015 10:19 am
ROUND 4

10 Esteber (HP: 15/22) (DEF: 14) SP=1
08 Bart (HP:7/24) (DEF: 13) SP=3
05 Lord Apperson/Ashogarr (HP: 57%) (DEF: 20)
04 Herja (HP: 6/20) (DEF: 12)SP=2

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Esteber="drowning"
Sep 28, 2015 11:04 am
Another arrow flies from Alden's bow

Rolls

def 20 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Attack 16 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Sep 28, 2015 2:01 pm
Esteber attacks again while fighting back the drowning feeling...

Rolls

Drowning damage - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Esteber's DEF against drowning (CTN 12) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

(10) = 10

Creature's DEF (DEF 20) - (1D20)

(1) = 1

Creature's DEF Slaying Dice (CTN 20) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm
Bart takes a deep breath, grateful that the drowning has stopped. "Thanks Herja"

He steps forward and brings Gertrude around in a wide swing at the zombie Lord.

Rolls

(15) = 15

(11) = 11

Sep 28, 2015 3:04 pm
+1 SP to Bart (that's 3)
Sep 28, 2015 3:39 pm
Dextolen says:
+1 SP to Bart (that's 3)
OOC:wink, wink, nudge, nudge
Last edited September 28, 2015 3:39 pm
Sep 30, 2015 1:32 pm
The Ashogarr, sensing Herja's holy might, steps over and claws at her!

Doing 18 pts of damage!

Herja feels water welling up in her lungs (Please make a Defy Poison check BOD+CO)

Rolls

Attacking CTN 18 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Herja DEF 12 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Sep 30, 2015 2:55 pm
Herja reels back from the ashogarr's onslaught. "Oh mighty Varl, help me!"
OOC: Spending the 1 SP from previous round to ignore 2 damage.

Rolls

Defy Poison check BOD+CO = 10 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Healing Touch Self: TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver (1) = CTN (10) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Sep 30, 2015 4:26 pm
ROUND 5

10 Esteber (HP: 6/22) (DEF: 14) SP=1
08 Bart (HP:7/24) (DEF: 13) SP=3
05 Lord Apperson/Ashogarr (HP: 57%) (DEF: 20)
04 Herja (HP: 6/20) (DEF: 12)SP=1

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Esteber="drowning"
Oct 1, 2015 7:53 am
Alden continues discharging his bow on the monster "For all the gods, this thing is hurting us badly." "Resist! don't let this monster beat you fellows!"

Rolls

Attack 16 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

defense 20 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Oct 1, 2015 1:28 pm
Esteber attacks teh monster again while still fighting back this horrible drowning feeling...

Rolls

Drowning damage. - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Esterber's DEF against drowning (DEF 12) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

(15) = 15

Monster's DEF (DEF 20) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 1, 2015 3:01 pm
With a mighty, Hacking chop of Gertrude, Bart tries to turn the tide in this battle.

OOC: Will spend 1sp to reduce his defence

Rolls

(20) = 20

Defence =20-4(2h sword)-1(SP) =16 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Oct 1, 2015 3:21 pm
Gertrude falls to the ground with a clang!
Oct 1, 2015 3:22 pm
The ashogar reaches for Bart, who blocks it with a swift elbow.

Rolls

Ashogarr Attacks Bart 18 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Oct 1, 2015 3:26 pm
Dextolen sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Oct 1, 2015 3:45 pm
Still reeling in pain from the ashrogarr's attack, Herja sees a vision of her god Varl, holding a hammer. The hammer transforms into two entwined serpents, a symbol of healing... She reaches for Esteber before falling back further, away from the monster's reach.
Last edited October 1, 2015 6:15 pm

Rolls

Healing Touch Esteber: TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver (1) + 2 = CTN (12) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 1, 2015 6:02 pm
Trying to hide his fear Alden continues shooting.

Rolls

attack 16 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

def 20 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 1, 2015 7:15 pm
Esteber will take his SP to grant himself +3 DEF this round. He will attack again, hoping he can finish off this monstrosity and have his life saved...

Rolls

Drowning damage - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Esteber's Drowning DEF (12, +3 SP, total CTN 15) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

(20) = 20

Zombie's DEF (DEF 20) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 2, 2015 10:49 pm
Another weapon hits the floor
Oct 3, 2015 3:11 am
Bart's face goes white at Gertrude sitting cold on the floor, alone. In a flash he rolls to her, picks her up and swings it at the water-logged zombie.

OOC: Spending SP to pick up Gertrude. SO 36 total?
Last edited October 3, 2015 3:12 am

Rolls

(1) = 1

Defence =20-4(2h sword) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

SLAYING DICE!! - (1d20)

(1) = 1

ERMAGERD - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 3, 2015 3:43 am
Bart chops the water-ghoul in half in a spray of ichor and sea water. The two halves of his body slowly dissolve into a watery sludge.

VICTORY!

XP: 25 each

A single healing touch stops Esteber from drowning. While the rest of the group looks around, Herja can heal the party and/or people can take a breather and heal half.

You inspect the tomb and find a sarcophagus with the lid removed. Inside are:

55GP and 38GP and a nice looking two handed sword.

Rolls

TV 2A:16 - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (10) = 10

1d20 : (15) = 15

TV 1W - (1d20, 1d20, 1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (12) = 12

1d20 : (6) = 6

1d20 : (1) = 1

5d20 SP, 5d20 GP - (5d20, 5d20)

5d20 : (3251513) = 38

5d20 : (63181711) = 55

Weapon contd - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (14) = 14

Oct 3, 2015 4:34 pm
Herja inspects the sword, marveling at its workmanship. Then she sees to everyone's wounds.
Last edited October 3, 2015 4:34 pm

Rolls

MND+AU = 11 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

MND+IN = 10 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 3, 2015 4:41 pm
The sword radiates a magical aura, but she cannot determine the exact nature.
Oct 3, 2015 9:09 pm
"Thank you Herja... Now if you'll excuse me..."

Esteber goes and furiously stomps on the remains of the creature a few times, then collects himself...

"Ah, I feel much better now..."
Oct 4, 2015 6:35 am
Alden sits down for a moment trying to catch his breath... "I'm sorry I couldn't be of much use against this creature..." Then shakes his head to make those gloomy thoughts go away and walks beside Esteber to kick the remains of the fallen zombie "You are right, this really makes me feel better"
Oct 4, 2015 5:09 pm
"No problem my sneaky friend.While I was fighting for dear life against this drowning feeling, I also had a lot of difficulty actually hitting the damn thing. Good thing Bart and Herja are in our party. Well, if this two-handed sword is magical, perhaps we should give it to Bart; he could call it Gertrude II..."
Oct 5, 2015 2:45 am
Bart wipes Gertrude clean with a withered old piece of clothing within the sarcophagus. "I'm so sorry I dropped you... Let's never fight again."
Satisfied that the sword has forgiven him, Bart looks over to Esteber just in time to hear his remarks about the sword. Shocked, Bart's jaw drops. "I could never...", then, seeing the sword shine in the dim light, looks sheepishly at Herja, "well, is it magical?"
Oct 5, 2015 7:04 am
"I agree, he should keep it."
Oct 5, 2015 11:28 am
"There's a magical aura from it but the nature of it is beyond me." She concentrates on the sword again but shakes her head. Still, you should keep it.
Last edited October 5, 2015 11:29 am

Rolls

MND+IN = 10 + retry 2 = 12 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 5, 2015 4:00 pm
"Agreed, besides, large unwieldy weapons are not really my taste, and someone needs to hold that torch... Alrigh, how about we go back to the room with the iron-bound door we passed by?"

(OOC: We can each add 23 GP, with 1 GP left over. We can either put it in a "party loot" to be divided later, or one of us can get a 24th GP.)
Last edited October 5, 2015 4:01 pm
Oct 5, 2015 4:39 pm
"Aye, the room with the big iron-bound door sounds good."

Bart pulls out his last vial of weapon paste and applies it carefully to the new Gertrude's gleaming blade. "Ah yes, Gertrude, the two of us will get along famously."

Rolls

Weapon Paste Uses - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 5, 2015 4:56 pm
The group makes its way back through the natural cavern with wooden planked floor into the tunnel that leads south. Turning at the first opportunity, they come again to the iron banded door they had inspected earlier.
Oct 5, 2015 6:59 pm
"Alden, can you check if the door is locked or trapped? And maybe even possibly have a listen if someone's behind it..."
Oct 6, 2015 7:35 am
"Sure, I'll have a look"

Rolls

Regular search roll 10 - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Find traps 18 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

(12) = 12

Lockpicking (if needed) 18 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 7, 2015 9:09 pm
While Alden busies himself with the door Herja attempts to enchant her hatchet. Emboldened by her success she attempts the same on Esteber's sword.
OOC: I know Enchant Weapon has a 1-round cooldown but just in case there's enough time before Alden gets the door open.
Last edited October 7, 2015 9:13 pm

Rolls

Enchant Weapon. TSC=8 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Enchant Weapon (Esteber's sword) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 7, 2015 11:49 pm
"Thanks Herja. How long does this lasts anyways?"
Oct 8, 2015 12:01 am
The door was locked but Alden manages to unlock it. No traps detected. Upon opening, there is a feeble warcry and a crazed looking hermit of an old man rushes at you, walking stick raised in attack.
Oct 8, 2015 12:03 am
ROUND 1

10 Esteber (HP:22/22) (DEF: 14)
06 Crazed Old Man (HP:60%) (DEF: 6)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Esteber and Herja's weapons are Enchanted
Oct 12, 2015 1:20 pm
"Stop where you are" shouts Alden while shooting at the old man's feet.

Rolls

intimidation 9 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 12, 2015 3:48 pm
He must not have heard you over his wailing war cry
Oct 12, 2015 6:13 pm
"Sigh... Here we go again..."

Esteber attempts to whack the old man over the head with the pommel of his sword like he did last time.

"Hey, what the..."
Last edited October 12, 2015 6:13 pm

Rolls

(3) = 3

Old Man's DEF (DEF 6) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Old Man's Slaying Dice (CTN 6) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 12, 2015 6:15 pm
Grinning at the confused gauntlet the team has arranged, Bart decides against sullying Gertrude's blade and throws a heavy haymaker at the crazed man as he approaches.
Last edited October 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Rolls

MAT 14 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Defence - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm
Bart knocks the wind out of the old man's sails who quickly slumps to the ground, panting...
"Oh...you...your...your not Cathla....or cultists.... Are you...from the Adventurer's Guild?" He says, holding his jaw.
Oct 12, 2015 6:53 pm
The old man stands up.

"I am Jerrol Atarin. I'm overjoyed that you have found me, adventurers! We must leave this place quickly, as the Cathla can move through any water supply from a cup to a lake." I need to return to Praern with my findings and bid for additional workers and support...but this place is not safe now."

These chambers appear to have once been a meeting hall or dining room of the cult. On the east wall of the main chamber, a slime covered mural depicts the re-imagined goddess surrounded by a number of robed, praying cultists.

Please make a MND+IN check (add alertness if you have it)
Oct 12, 2015 6:59 pm
Bart scratches his big, dumb chin.

Rolls

MND 5 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Oct 12, 2015 7:53 pm
"Ah, Mr. Atarin. The rumors of your demise have been greatly exaggerated... We are indeed from the Adventurer's Guild. I agree, we should leave this place, I kind of had enough of it... Let us talk on the way out..."

Esteber is not paying much attention as he,s in more of a hurry to get out of here with his charge.
Last edited October 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Rolls

Esteber's MND+IN check (CTN 4) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 12, 2015 8:53 pm
"Wait a minute..."
Last edited October 12, 2015 8:54 pm

Rolls

MND+IN 10 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Oct 12, 2015 11:29 pm
Alden sees a faded mural on one of the room's walls of worshipers gathered around the blue beauty. Alden recognizes similarities in some of the faces. He sees Lord Delmar Miles, a bit younger, of course, as well as the silent woman who was with him. The main priest definitely is (or was) Lord Crandall Apperson - whom you combated as a water-logged ghoul. In Lord Apperson's face, you see a family resemblance in young Lena whom you met in Delmar's care.
Oct 12, 2015 11:30 pm
Before he has time to tell the others you hear a distant gargling shout and a conch shell horn blowing.
Oct 13, 2015 1:00 am
"The hell was that? Maybe Lord Miles is calling us for dinner..."
Oct 13, 2015 1:39 am
"It is the Cathla, they must know you've opened the door - we must flee! They are trying to get me!" Atarin exclaims as he grabs his rucksack, filled with notebooks, tools and small artifacts.
Oct 13, 2015 8:40 am
As the group starts to leave, Herja brings out the flute and shows it to Atarin. "Would you happen to know what this is?"

Rolls

Did Herja notice the mural too? MND+IN = 10 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 13, 2015 1:24 pm
The panicky old man, once concerned about only escape, pauses at looks at the shell speckled instrument. "Oh...a Cathla flute...early period... notice how the holes accommodate the clawed and webbed digits...ah...beautiful specimen..."

In the distance you hear scuttling feet and gurgling, guttural orders being given.
Oct 13, 2015 1:35 pm
"Come on run, we'll have time for that later..."
Oct 13, 2015 2:43 pm
"I agree, let's make haste, and if we end up fighting, we must protect Atarin."
Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm
The group gathers up and races for the exit. Will you try to go the mausoleum or the cliff stairs route?
Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm
"my lord, stay behind Esteber and I, but direct us to the fastest way out of here." Bart grips Gertrude on anticipation.
Oct 13, 2015 3:47 pm
"Well, the castle stair is the closest, but that puts us near the Loch, which is asking for trouble. I think the mausoleum is our route". Atarin says, still marveling at the flute. "Have you tried to play it?"
Oct 13, 2015 4:11 pm
"We can play the flute later, let's get to the mausoleum stairs, now!"
Oct 13, 2015 4:11 pm
Herja shoots back at Esteber, ,"What if it controls them, charms them, or puts them to sleep? Then again, what if it makes them stronger or angrier?" Sge looks at Atarin, "No, I haven't. I'm dying to find out what it does but I'm also afraid."
Last edited October 14, 2015 6:14 am
Oct 13, 2015 4:18 pm
"Tell you what Herja, if we're in a situation where we're pretty much out of options, go ahead and play the flute. But for now, how about we do less talking and more running?"
Oct 13, 2015 5:15 pm
"Warrior, give the flute to me so that you may hold your weapon and shield...you are of Umbarlan stock, no? You have the dress and manner of a jeddak (male warrior) but you are female. Curious case.
Oct 19, 2015 12:10 am
Bart follows along with the group toward the mausoleum stairs.
Oct 19, 2015 5:06 am
Ignoring the old man, Herja puts the flute away and keeps moving. Atarin's mention of her heritage gives her much to think about. "Seek out the fight and never turn from a challenge...Always be prepared to look death in the face. She has done much to dishonor herself recently. But this, running from danger, is most shameful of all.
Oct 19, 2015 12:56 pm
Herja's worries of fleeing a fight are soon put to rest as the group sees 3 lakemen running towards them. One holds a net in addition to his spear. From behind there is the sound of shattering wood, another lakeman emerges from the wooden planked cavern behind them. Surrounded!

"The Cathla!" exclaims Atarin.
Oct 19, 2015 12:59 pm
ROUND 1

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: 100%, 100%, 100%, 100%) (DEF 12)
09 Bart (HP:24/24) (DEF: 13)
04 Atarin (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 8)

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Oct 19, 2015 1:50 pm
"No, not again those watered freaks!" Says Alden while swiftly knocking an arrow and letting it fly.

Rolls

Alden attack 16 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Random lakeman def 12 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Oct 19, 2015 2:13 pm
"We need to protect Atarin!"

Esteber will slash at the lakeman behind them.

Rolls

(15) = 15

Lakeman's DEF (DEF 12) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm
With a cry of "VARL!!!", Herja charges the net-wielding lakeman, her hatchet swinging.

Rolls

Brutal Blow MAT (12) + BOD (8)= CTN (20) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Def 12 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 19, 2015 4:29 pm
Bart runs ahead, while hollering at Atarin, "stay back, we won't let them net you!" Bart runs toward the trio of Lake men and slashes at the net wielder with Gertrude.

Rolls

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

OD 12-5=7 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Defence slaying die - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Oct 19, 2015 6:03 pm
"Are they made of stone again?"
Last edited October 19, 2015 6:04 pm
Oct 20, 2015 1:19 pm
+1 SP to Bart
The lakemen race in. One takes on Bart, one Esteber, one Herja and the other moves on Bart, supporting his comrade with the net "Doing 6 pts of damage to Bart

Rolls

Lakeman Attacks Bart - 12 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Lakeman Attacks Bart - 12 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Lakeman Attacks Esteber - 12 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Esteber DEF 14 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Lakeman Attacks Herja - 12 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Herja DEF 12 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 20, 2015 1:20 pm
ROUND 2

11 Alden (HP: 14/14) (DEF: 4) SP=1
11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: 100%, 100%, 87%, 46%) (DEF 12)
09 Bart (HP:6/24) (DEF: 13) SP=1
04 Herja (HP: 20/20) (DEF: 12) SP=1

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Oct 20, 2015 3:49 pm
Alden shoots at one of the lakemen fighting with Bart.

Rolls

Alden attack 16 (not sure if I have to apply any penalty) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

lakeman def 12 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 20, 2015 6:36 pm
Esteber would very much like help Bart dispatch the one he has wounded already, but is worried that if he leaves teh one currently engaged on him unoccupied, it might decide to attack Atarin instead...

"Die you cat-fish-faced monstrosity!"

Rolls

(19) = 19

Cathla's DEF (DEF 12) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Oct 20, 2015 8:17 pm
Herja hacks at the wounded lake-man.

Rolls

MAT 12 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

DEF 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 20, 2015 9:02 pm
+1 SP to Herja

The lakemen respond in kind...doing 12 pts of damage to Bart

Rolls

Lakeman Attacks Bart 12 - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Lakeman Attacks Bart 12 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Bart DEF 13 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Lakeman Attacks Esteber 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Esteber DEF 14 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Lakeman Attacks Herja 12 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Herja DEF 12 - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Slaying dice 12 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 20, 2015 9:04 pm
ROUND 3

11 Lake-Men (4) (HP: 100%, 100%, 35%, DEAD) (DEF 12)
09 Bart (HP:11/24) (DEF: 13) SP=0
08 Esteber (HP: 11/22) (DEF: 14)
04 Herja (HP: 20/20) (DEF: 12) SP=2

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Oct 20, 2015 9:13 pm
Alden continues shooting arrow after arrow "Come on Alden hit them already..."

Rolls

attack 16 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

def 12 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Oct 20, 2015 10:04 pm
Round 2 action:

"Die fishy! " Bart resumes chopping with Gertrude.

Rolls

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

OD 12-5=7 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Oct 22, 2015 2:48 am
Lakemen strike.

The one on Bart goes in with his webbed claws

The one on Esteber does 11 pts of damage!

Rolls

Lakeman on Bart CTN 12 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Lakeman on Esteber 12 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Esteber DEF 14 - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Lakeman on Herja 12 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Herja DEF 12 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Oct 25, 2015 4:10 pm
Bart continues his aggressive chopping routine through the fish men.

Rolls

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

OD 12-5=7 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Oct 25, 2015 4:17 pm
OOC: Posting in advance as I'm not entirely sure I'll be online later.

Herja falls back and reaches for Bart.

Rolls

(5) = 5

Oct 25, 2015 8:33 pm
OK. Bart's attack does 16 points to the lakeman with the net. He appears near death (+1 SP)

(I assume the other attack was you spending the 3 sp?)

+1 SP to Herja for healing 5pts to Bart

Esteber's Turn and then we can go to the next round.
Oct 25, 2015 10:17 pm
Esteber will slash again at the Cathla engaged with him.

(OOC: the RGN really hates me...)
Last edited October 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Rolls

(8) = 8

(9) = 9

Oct 26, 2015 5:15 pm
ROUND 4

11 Lake-Men (4) (Esteber's HP: 50%, Alden's20%, DEAD, DEAD) (DEF 12)
09 Bart (HP:11/24) (DEF: 13) SP=1
08 Esteber (HP: 11/22) (DEF: 14)
04 Herja (HP: 20/20) (DEF: 12) SP=0

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Oct 26, 2015 5:26 pm
Seeing that Bart is doing good, Alden shoots the lakeman attacking Herja so she can focus on healing.

OOC: rolling my slayer dice, yay!!
Last edited October 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Rolls

def 12 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

attack 16 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

slayer dice - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Oct 26, 2015 6:08 pm
+1 SP to Alden The arrow does a massive 17 pts of damage!
Oct 29, 2015 10:58 pm
The remaining lakemen attack

Slaying die on Herja, 11pts damage in total

Rolls

Lakeman attacks Bart 12 - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Bart Def 13 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Lakeman attacks Esteber 12 - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Esteber DEF 14 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Lakeman vs. Herja 12 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Herja DEF 12 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Slaying dice 12 - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Oct 29, 2015 11:12 pm
Bart retaliates with fury (and Gertrude).

Rolls

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

OD 12-5=7 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Oct 30, 2015 4:23 am
Herja manages to duck under the lakeman's attack." 2SP to Dodge.
Oct 30, 2015 1:29 pm
Esteber will once again attempt to slash at his Cathla...

(OOC: Finally, about @#$% time!)
Last edited October 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Rolls

(9) = 9

(3) = 3

Oct 30, 2015 4:14 pm
+1 SP to Bart who slays the lakeman in front of him.
Oct 30, 2015 9:34 pm
"Bart, after the fight, mind if I borrow Gertrude 1.0? I'll probably need something heavier than a light sword to deal with those fish faces and we have Atarin now who can hold the torch..."
Nov 3, 2015 3:29 am
Herja continues ducking and weaving between the combatants, channeling healing as she goes.

Rolls

(8) = 8

Nov 3, 2015 11:40 am
ROUND 5

11 Lake-Men (4) (Esteber's HP: 43%%, Alden's20%, DEAD, DEAD) (DEF 12)
09 Bart (HP:19/24) (DEF: 13) SP=1
08 Esteber (HP: 5/22) (DEF: 14) SP=1

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Atarin is "grabbed" by a Lakeman.
Nov 3, 2015 12:13 pm
Alden shoots again to the wounded lakeman feeling more confident in his skills.

Rolls

attack 16 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

lakeman def 12 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nov 3, 2015 4:02 pm
One Lakeman attacks Esteber while the other makes a move to grab Atarin in his slimy arms.

Doing 6 pts of damage to Esteber

Despite a worthy effort, the Lakeman bests Atarin and has him in his clutches.

Rolls

Lakeman Attacks Esteber 12 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Esteber DEF 14 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Lakeman grabs Atarin BOD+ST DC 11 - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Atarin Dodge MOB + AG 4 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Nov 3, 2015 5:33 pm
"You slimy fiend!"

Esteber attacks the Cathla again.

Rolls

(13) = 13

(12) = 12

Nov 3, 2015 6:36 pm
"Save Atarin!" Herja yells, as she reaches for Esteber.

Rolls

Healing Touch Esteber: TSC (8) + SM (1) + Caregiver (1) = CTN (10) - - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Nov 3, 2015 6:41 pm
Bart lashes in, eager to deal some damage while the combat is in earnest. He dashes to the nearest Cathla and brings Gertrude down in a heavy swing.

Rolls

MAT 19 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

OD 12-5=7 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Defence slaying die - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Nov 3, 2015 7:30 pm
Even with it's respectable attempt to block, Gertrude II is too much for the cathla holding Atarin, it chops deep into the Cathla's back, and both Atarin and the dead cathla topple over.

+1 SP to Bart
Nov 3, 2015 7:31 pm
Atarin struggles to get out from underneath the dead fish-man

Rolls

Feat of Strength CTN 5 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Nov 3, 2015 7:32 pm
ROUND 6

11 Lake-Men (1) (20%) (DEF 12)
09 Bart (HP:19/24) (DEF: 13) SP=2
08 Esteber (HP: 5/22) (DEF: 14) SP=2

Conditional Modifiers:
Esteber has the torch.
Nov 4, 2015 8:49 am
Seeing that the Lake-men are under control Alden runs to help Atarin get out from under the monster.

Rolls

BOD+ST=4 - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Nov 4, 2015 2:20 pm
No roll needed - Alden pushes the corpse off of the old man "Thank you, my son" he says as you help him up. He appears unharmed.
Nov 5, 2015 5:26 pm
The cathla squawks and retreats to the nearby cavern, stepping into a small puddle, falling into it as if it was a deep pool.
Nov 5, 2015 5:29 pm
VICTORY

80 xp each
Nov 5, 2015 5:37 pm
"Cowards!" Bart grumbles as the last foe flees. "Let's keep moving before they come back. Oh, and Esteber," Bart reaches over his shoulder and draws the former Gertrude, handing it hilt first toward Esteber. "May she treat you well..."
Nov 5, 2015 6:33 pm
"Thank you kindly Bart."

Handing his torch over to Atarin.

"Now you're the designated torch bearer, now let's finish getting out of here before those fish faces come back with even more reinforcements..."
Nov 5, 2015 7:44 pm
"Very good. Now about that instrument, dear...where did you find that?" Atarin asks Herja.
Nov 5, 2015 10:45 pm
"Back there, behind a secret door, along with a book and a silver statue." I had a feeling it might be important. Herja hands the flute to Atarin.

OOC: Does anyone need healing? Doesn't sound like we're catching breath.
Last edited November 6, 2015 6:38 am
Nov 6, 2015 4:01 am
(OOC: No I don't think we are...)
Nov 6, 2015 4:41 am
occ - you guys found a secret door, behind which was a book, the instrument and a silver statue which you left there
Nov 6, 2015 10:12 am
"There's something I have to tell you, friends. Maybe I'm scared and it's just my mind playing tricks on me, but...
...well, In the room where we found Atarin there was a mural depicting some cultists of the water godess and one of them... looked like the strange water zombie we fought earlier... but what is more disturbing... I could also recognize the faces of Lord Delmar and his companions..."
Nov 6, 2015 1:43 pm
Atarin chuckles "I believe a group of nobles found this cavern several decades ago and converted the catha deity into their own sex goddess - giving her a human face. I don't know why they abandoned it or why they are so opposed to me and my team digging here."
Nov 6, 2015 1:57 pm
Answering while still making their way to the ruined estate.

"Well, considering we found said nobles barricaded in a room and dehydrated, I can only assume they abandoned it because the cult backfired on them?"
Nov 6, 2015 6:27 pm
"They had been pestering me and my interns for two weeks. That's why I called for Adventurer's Guild help. They would attack my camp, scaring some of the young men. When the cathla attacked, we at first mistook them for more cultists, but whereas the cultists were just trying to scare us, the cathla were out for our blood. They slew my entire staff. Sent both cultist and archaeologist running. For some reason, the cathla are trying to capture me alive." the old man offers up while trying to keep up with the others.
Nov 6, 2015 11:04 pm
"That is odd indeed. Do you have any idea why they would want you alive? Perhaps you found something they want?"
Nov 7, 2015 1:39 am
"We had just began excavating the cavern before the burial chamber. We had found petrified cathla - we suspected they were victims of transmutative magics - something that had turned them to stone....I washed the statues and we were beset with them"

You make it to the mausoleum exit
Nov 7, 2015 4:30 am
"Yeah, we saw those. We briefly mistook them for live ones... Truly life-like... Well, now we must decide what we do. We should probably think of heading back with Atarin in tow, make our report to the Adventurere's Guild and Atarin to the authorities, but then there is the possibilities there might still be more survivors hidden somewhere in the cave, like that old crazy man we found..."
Nov 7, 2015 4:41 am
"I'm sure our good patron wouldn't be opposed to us asking Lord Delmar a few, pointed, questions before we head back to the guild." Bart grins and absentmindedly fondles Gertrude's blade, drawing drawing a small line of blood on his hand and drawing him out of his momentary daze.
Nov 7, 2015 1:32 pm
"Lord Delmar is a respected noble whose influence extends to Praern. I ask that we head back to the city and allow me to bring my findings to the Archaeologist Guild. I can also authorize your payment. Hopefully, my guild will approve a new group of interns and pay you for guard services."
Nov 7, 2015 3:22 pm
"Indeed, if you wish to continue your dig, you'll need some guards... But anyways, wouldn't this frescoe fo Lord Delmar in the caves help in implicating him in that mess?"
Nov 8, 2015 2:38 am
"I defer to your judgement, but I, quite frankly, could use a hot meal, cold pint and a warm bed." Atarin says to Esteber. He turns to Herja "If you recall where you found this flute, I would like to investigate there, I think I am nearly done in this cavern system and that you found this where I had missed it...very promising..."
Nov 9, 2015 4:16 am
"So, is it back to Praern then? Investigating that room now might mean another tussle with the Cathla, as thirsty as Gertrude is, it might be a good idea to rest up first."
Nov 9, 2015 4:43 am
"Praern it is. I'm afraid we can't offer you much of a meal Atarin. We only have trail rations, and we can use water here for obvious reasons..."
Nov 9, 2015 4:54 pm
The group makes its way out of the caverns and up through the mausoleum without issue. The walk home is as uneventful. When the group no longer sees the loch, tensions relax. Soon you happen upon an community well and are able to fill your waterskins and take rest, drinking some much needed water. Atarin gets a drink and also washes his face, combs his hair and starts looking a bit more academic.

You walk at a pace that suits the old man, guarding his way back to Praern. Once in town he pays you each 10gp - "Let's say it's a week earned. Now I assume you have to report to the Adventurer's Guild and tithe your findings - perhaps you found gold in that place that my team could not?" - he smiles, in reference to the flute. Please, take this - he palms Herja another 10 gold coins. Get a hot meal and a room in White Oak Square, it's a district of Praern that I find pleasant. It's mostly shops and cobblers - get yourself a pair of new boots! There's a great tavern there, the Gray Mule.

It will take me a few weeks to work out what happens next in regard to the Cathla den. I will look for you if I am allowed to return there, if you still need the work! Fairwell for now, at least, and thank you for rescuing me!"
'
Nov 10, 2015 12:35 am
Esteber will head to the Adventurer's Guild to make his report about the attacked camp, the caves, the Cathla, the rescued nobles, the crazy guy who ran away, etc. Once this is done, he'll give Bart Gertrude 1.0 back and head off for some shopping, upgrade his equipment.
Nov 10, 2015 4:05 am
Herja will join Esteber at the guild, pay back the amount advanced to her (5 tokens) and the tithe (1 gold), get a meal and a bath.
Last edited November 10, 2015 4:10 am
Nov 10, 2015 3:37 pm
"Mind if I join? maybe you could talk in my favour in front of the guild."
Nov 10, 2015 3:59 pm
When you arrive at the guild HQ in Praern, you are quickly ushered into a small meeting room where you are asked how your adventuring went. The clerk (the same fellow who signed you up a few weeks ago) seems to only pay half attention to you until you talk treasure or other loot. What do you tell him about?

He is eager to sign Alden up. You are offered 10 guild tokens to buy equipment in town (= to 10gp at weapon, armor and gear shops).
Nov 10, 2015 4:10 pm
"Some stability would be good in my life... what do you say friends?..." says while looking at the group "...mind if I join you in more adventures?"
Nov 10, 2015 4:18 pm
"You could put those guilder tokens towards a new LONG BOW!" the clerk smiles "Aid your friends with more power and range!"
Nov 10, 2015 4:52 pm
"Ah yes, the tithe. Well, let's see, we found some tobacco, a pipe with initials on them... Oh Bart, we completely forgot to ask Atarin if this was his pipe! Hum, some blue cultist robes with fish-men gloves and masks, a flute, about 90 or so gold pieces, and Bart's new magical sword. I assume this tithe will not include money we were paid for service rendered and was only for found treasures? And yes Alden, we don't mind if you continue adventuring with us, in fact we'd be pleased as we will surely need your skills in our missions."
Last edited November 10, 2015 4:52 pm
Nov 10, 2015 5:09 pm
The clerk's face gets longer with each mundane piece of junk that Esteber mentions. Then at word of 90gp.

"That makes 9gp plus one tenth of your weekly pay equates to 12 gp in total for your party's contribution to the guild. Is this all you have to declare? He asks, his eyes fall upon the beautifully inscribed hilt of Gertrude II sticking up behind Bart's back.
Nov 10, 2015 6:47 pm
"Sure, the pipe, and don't forget the tobacco bag..." "Your attention mr clerck, may I call you mr clerck? I'm interested in joining the guild, care to explain that work contract to me?"
Nov 10, 2015 7:47 pm
Esteber will pay his 4 GP right away.
Nov 10, 2015 8:03 pm
"Of course, sir archer..." the clerk says, still looking at Bart's sword. "The Adventurer's Guild supports you, the adventurer, by providing a voice of protection against any unwanted attention from the representatives of trade hailing from Vestrach and Ironhall. It sets you apart from common rabble, proving (via this arm band or pendant) that you are not a criminal, but an adventurer seeking glory, fortune and fame through thwarting the plans of evil men and creatures throughout the Freelands! All that the guild asks in return is a paltry 10% of your treasures, fees, payments or rewards Payable here in Praern or most any major city.

He grabs a scroll from a shelf and it appears to be a contract for you to sign. He also produces a pendant from a drawer.
Nov 10, 2015 8:38 pm
"So you mean I will be considered an adventurer instead of a criminal and that all my spoils will be completely legal as long as they are taken away from an evildoer?"
Nov 13, 2015 11:27 am
"My son, I won't delve into semantics or ethics... that is for your conscience to debate. I think you know what I mean. You act as a point of light in an otherwise dark world. And...give us 10%" he holds out the paperwork expectantly.
Nov 13, 2015 12:58 pm
"I like how it sounds. Count me in" says Alden swiftly signing the contract with smile and a mind full of ideas.
Nov 13, 2015 1:22 pm
You are given your Adventurer's Guild dog tag/bracelet and 10 guild tokens. "Redeemable in local shops for gear, same as gold"
Nov 13, 2015 4:04 pm
His tithe paid and having given Gertrude 1.0 back to Bart, Esteber will go buy some more equipment.
Nov 13, 2015 4:15 pm
"Aye, I found me this new Gertrude and 108 GP with our pay." Bart will count out 21 GP (to pay back his guild coins) , and look expectantly at what sort of valuation the guild man might apply to Gertrude.
Nov 13, 2015 4:15 pm
No need to RP shopping. Assume book prices. Let me know when you are ready for Chapter Two

EXP AWARD
+50 Rescuing Atarin/Completing the Adventure
+10 Putting Lord Apperson to rest
Nov 13, 2015 4:48 pm
OOC: to sell something it's half book price?
Nov 13, 2015 5:15 pm
Ready when you are :)
Nov 13, 2015 11:26 pm
Esteber will be done with his purchase, having replaced his short sword for a broad sword, his wooden shield for a metal one, and his leather armor for some chainmail. He bought a metal helmet and some leather vambraces and greaves to complete his armor, refilled in daily rations, bought some perfume, rope, a tent, healing herbs, some bandages and weapon pastes, and some magic potions.
Last edited November 13, 2015 11:28 pm
Nov 15, 2015 3:39 am
Grendelthebrave says:
"Aye, I found me this new Gertrude and 108 GP with our pay." Bart will count out 21 GP (to pay back his guild coins) , and look expectantly at what sort of valuation the guild man might apply to Gertrude.
The clerk's eyes bulge at the sight of Gertrude the Second. " I would say 50gp would be fair"
Nov 15, 2015 2:33 pm
Herja studies the magical two-handed sword, the clerk values it at 500gp.

Herja is fairly confident he is under valuing the sword by half. Herja thinks it would be worth 1,000gp

Rolls

MND+IN - (1d20)

Nov 15, 2015 3:39 pm
"The man's offer seems fair," Herja says, giving Bart a meaningful look.
Nov 15, 2015 3:42 pm
Bart will frown slightly, but accept the still great deal for the sword. He'll add 50gp to the pile, paying out 71gp total. At least his debt is squared, he'll think to himself.
Last edited November 15, 2015 3:43 pm
Nov 15, 2015 8:22 pm
"Now, will you be staying in the employ of Mr Atarin or are you looking for further work?" The clerk asks as he places the gold into a bag and then down a chute.
Nov 15, 2015 9:44 pm
"Atarin said it might be a while before he can get another dig team ready and be in need of our work. That is if he's actually allowed to resume his work over there... So I guess we can take another job in the meantime."
Nov 16, 2015 1:31 am
"Well, let your former employer settle with his guild and report back if he has no more need for your services. Enjoy some time in town!" the clerk says as he ushers you out of the Adventurer's Guild office.
Nov 16, 2015 8:27 am
"A hearty meal and some wine will be good for our souls. This one is on me to thank you for saving my life back there. Where can we find a good place to eat and rest?"
Nov 16, 2015 11:45 am
(Alden remembers that Atarin recommended the Grey Mule in White Oak Square)

Thread locked