Chapter 1.1 - The Alamo Remembers

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 11, 2015 3:13 pm
You have gathered gear, including a dozen silver rounds for each of your weapons courtesy of the local gunsmith and the Blue Bell's fine silverware. Louis Garderose procured some horses for you along with some worn but serviceable tack. The Blue Bell hotel staff have prepared several days worth of food for your journey and you have canteens of water and oats for the horses.

You'll be traveling North to the Alamo, and while your memories tell you that is supposed to be about 250 miles, you now realize that the distance is much shorter, and you could be there in a hard days ride, or two days if you want to save your horses.

The suns hot rays beat down on you, and as you leave the bustling, ethereal town called Rio Grande City, the horizon shimmers in heat haze. This early in the morning, that's a bad sign. Still, waiting won't make the sun cool, so the four of you ride north.

Back in the Blue Bell hotel, Louis and Clancy meditate, each holding the hand of the chained, unconscious girl. Before the party has even left town, they fade out of sight, disappearing from the room like gunsmoke clearing from a dusty street.
Morrowlife has been absent for a while, so I'm sending Clancy with Louis to have his werewolfedness looked at. If he rejoins the game, then eventually he will rejoin the group, perhaps with a story to share.
Please tell us a story about life in the saddle as you travel north, or write about how your characters act or interact.
Jun 14, 2015 4:10 pm
Diego, appreciative of the trouble that Louis has gone through to provide a mount, won't leave without his trusted Diablo. Loading up some of the extra supplies onto Diablo, he yells to the others, "Should we bring the extra horse along to carry supplies? Spread out the burden a bit, yes?"

Not waiting for a response he mounts up and pulls his hat low to cover his eyes. "Looks like it's going to be hot ride. Hope you gringos can manage it!" he says with a chuckle as gently spurs Diablo into a slow trot.
Jun 16, 2015 7:15 am
The colonel will try to get a military trained horse wich he is used to. I don't know if he can find one in this town.
The Colonel will try to send a telegram ahead to the fort asking the officers there to keep their eyes open and to compile a little information for him. He will also telegraph the sheriff's office in the city of San Antonio announcing his and his companion's presence and asking for information.
He will ride quietly and be on the lookout. He will be testing his newly sharpened senses and try to find out more about his new state of mind.
Probably he will lag a few meters behind the others. On occasion he will pull out his scope and scan the horizon.
As he noticed before the perception of distance seems to have changed since his "awakening".

OOC: Afaik the Alamo is a former missionary station converted to a fort at that time in/nerby the city of San Antonio.
Qralloq: Please check if my information is right with the setting and correct my post as nesscessary. I'm making a lot of assumptions :-)
Jun 16, 2015 1:15 pm
You are correct. After the Mexican invasion about 15 years earlier that made the Fort famous, and following the defeat of Santa Anna's revolutionary forces a month following, the Fort is now home to a military unit. Currently, most Texan military forces are invading Mexico, but there will still be a garrison at Fort Alamo, just outside San Antonio de Béxar.
Jun 16, 2015 2:09 pm
Eli is a bit more subdued and quiet on the trek to the Alamo. "I had some good friends die there in that god-awful massacre. We was all just teenagers then. I've only been there a few time in recent years, and every time it feels like my old mates are reachin' out to me."
Jun 17, 2015 2:32 am
Following the Colonel's suggestion, you make your way to San Antonio de Bexar, a small town near the Alamo. An hour after the sunsets, you ride into town, your mounts blowing with exertion. You rode hard all day, and spoke little, perhaps haunted by your thoughts. A few times, the Colonel fell behind and scanned the horizon. In one instance, his jaw hardened at the sight of what could only be Indians, watching them from a ridgetop, but by their dress he marked them as Bidai and probably not a threat.

The sun beat hard on you throughout the ride, and by the time night falls, you are ready for a cold draught at a saloon in San Antonio. You make a final burst into town, suddenly aware of the silent eyes that may be watching you, and laughing at the thought. Still, your mounts work hard.

San Antonio is in rough shape after the Mexican-American war. Mabye a thousand people call it home, though scorches and unsettled land indicate that the town was recently much larger. Bullet-holes pock mark many buildings, virtually all of which sport some sort of recent repair, the fresh wood standing out clearly against the older, battered original structures.

What do you do?
Jun 18, 2015 2:08 am
"That was a rough ride, Amigos. How about we find ourselves someplace to get a drink." Diego pulls up Diablo's reigns and brings him to a halt and takes a gander around, looking for a saloon.
Jun 18, 2015 9:12 pm
AJ surveys their surroundings, curious about their new awareness with this new but familiar world. Unsure about what to do, AJ waits for someone to take charge before moving around orur doing anything of consequence.
Jun 20, 2015 1:13 am
As you enter the first saloon that you find, having tied your horses up outside, all eyes turn to you. While you're used to such entrances, and expect the ritualistic sizing up of strangers, what is different in this instance is the anger in their gazes. You stop for a moment and then realize, that no, it isn't anger you see, but the hungry look a predator gives to prey.

The are five people playing faro with a dealer at one long table to the left of the swinging doors, a bartender behind the bar straight across from the doors, one bar wench reading a newspaper at the end of the bar, and a couple of cowpokes smoking cigars at each other to the rightside of the doors. All 10 of them are staring at you, and you can feel the hairs rise on the backs of your necks. An empty table near the cowpokes, or stools at the bar seem to be too far through uncertain terrain.
Jun 20, 2015 2:41 am
Diego slowly raises the brim of his sombrero and meets the stares of one of the cigar smoking cowpokes. Without looking back at the others he says, "Looks like there's an open table, amigos", and walks towards the table.
OOC: Diego is trained in Intimidation and Boldness (and Running, just in case the first two don't work out I guess) so the multitude of peepers watching his every move doesn't usually scare him. I'll throw in a roll for each just to keep things interesting.

Rolls

Intimidation [Trained: Staring at the cowpoke] - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Bold [Trained: Resisting fear and intimidation] - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 22, 2015 12:26 am
Following the others into the saloon, AJ stops dead in his tracks when the eyes of everyone inside lock on them. He felt like he was being stared down by hungry wolves. Gripping his rifle in case he needed it quickly, AJ followed Diego inside, rarely taking his eyes off any of the unsocial townsfolk.
Jun 23, 2015 11:46 pm
Diego and AJ enter the saloon. They hungry, baleful eyes of the inhabitants watch you as you make your way to the table, but at Diego's defiant glower, they turn their eyes away and return to what they were doing. Still, you're not sure what drew out their ire, or when it might again return.
Jun 24, 2015 12:08 am
Eli sits down in a location that allows him to observe as many patrons as possible. He orders something to eat and drink, if possible.

Rolls

perception (trained) - observing patrons carefully - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jun 27, 2015 3:21 am
The two of you sit at the table, and order some food and drinks. After the hostess delivers your drinks, plopping them roughly on your table so that some sloshes over the side and down the handle, then demands immediate payment. After that, things get dicey. You sip your drinks, and find the quality below the coin that was asked. As you sit, Diego's initial bravado seems to weigh heavily on the faro players, and the game grinds to a halt. Their heads bunch together and they banter quietly to themselves, turning dark glares your way. They come to some conclusion, and the youngest of them pushes his chair back with a loud scrape, and walks up to Diego.

"Ya sure ya in the righ' plae, 'exican?" he drawls. "Come in 'ere an swagga like it some kinna 'exican church?" He clenches his jaw and readies himself for something.
Your Intimidation check has turned the bar from fear to hate. Take 2 xp, Diego, and give one to another player. Anybody in the room, roll Perception and then Initiative, as this dude is working up to a swing.
Jun 27, 2015 1:13 pm
Looking over at AJ, Diego gives him a quick smile and raises his eyebrows, almost as if he's excited to start what everyone knows is about to happen.

OOC: Slides the extra XP over to his back-to-back fighting partner, AJ.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Initiative [Trained] - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jun 30, 2015 12:57 am
Ooc: I recently rolled Perception so I'll use that.

Eli grasps the hilt of his bowie knife and readies to throw it

Rolls

Initiative (trained) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 30, 2015 1:17 am
Taking Diego's lead, I ready my rifle, but don't raise it to my eyes yet.

Rolls

Initiative (not trained) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jun 30, 2015 2:28 am
Diego and AJ both can intercede before the faro player swings.

Diego notices that he is wearing brass knuckles on his right hand. The other faro players at the table seem to be eagerly anticipating a brawl and are all but rising out of their seats to jump in. The rest of the people in the saloon seem satisfied that a fight is breaking out, but don't seem particularly eager to join in.
Jul 2, 2015 10:00 am
Seeing the man begin to swing at me and Diego, I mumble, "Figures." I quickly raise my rifle to blast this fool.
[OOC: Using free cost Pierce ability for +1 damage. Also, I see I have an ability called "Gunner" that seems to always give +1 damage with guns. Total damage: 8.]
Last edited July 2, 2015 10:01 am

Rolls

Shoot - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jul 2, 2015 2:44 pm
The blast takes the faro player in the chest and he flies backwards and crashes to the floor in front of the other card players. They sit stunned for a John Woo moment and then all roar simultaneously. A bearded guy on the right begins to transform, but after his jaw stretches into a wolf shape, the process reverses and he reverts to normal form, obviously exhausted by the failed effort. The other four draw their weapons and prepare to fire. The man on the floor is badly hurt but not quite out. He'll groan for his action.

All of the NPCs have now acted. Diego and Eli can act, and that will be the end of the round. AJ can also act again before their next actions, so post when you want and I'll resolve them in order.
Jul 2, 2015 4:35 pm
Diego draws his pistol and fires off a round at the closest enemy.

OOC: How do you say 'BALLS!' in Spanish?
Last edited July 2, 2015 4:36 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jul 2, 2015 5:55 pm
"Gal-durn wolfies!!" Instead of grabbing his knife, he draws his silver-bullet laden handgun and blasts at the closest man-beast.

OOC: What the? Both of us roll 1s?? Fix! Anyway, I'm spending my special XP for a re-roll...

OOC: Seriously, a 2 now? Is the dice function working properly??
Last edited July 2, 2015 5:57 pm

Rolls

Attack roll with gun, Pierce (6 damage on a hit) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Re-roll gun attack (XP), with pierce (6 damage on a hit) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jul 2, 2015 6:02 pm
OOC: This is a test only, I'm seriously thinking there is something wrong with the dice roller. This roll will prove or disprove my theory

OOC followup: Ok, sadly the system isn't broken. Just a few really unfortunate lousy rolls in a row.
Last edited July 2, 2015 6:03 pm

Rolls

test only - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 6, 2015 4:45 am
After AJ's rifle blasted off, Diego and Eli both decide that gunplay is called for. However, Diego's pistol is caught on something on his belt and he can't draw it. (Diego: this is a free GM intrusion from your natural '1'. Speed Defense please). Similarly, Eli draws his pistol, aims and fires, but from point blank range he somehow misses.
Jul 6, 2015 9:19 pm
"Son of a..."

Rolls

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 8, 2015 12:45 pm
The saloon has erupted into gunfire and violence. Initially fascinated, indeed craving the impending action, the other patrons of the establishment duck behind their tables or the bar to avoid getting involved. Of course, your

The bearded faro player, gritting at his teeth as Diego fumbles for his gun, jumps forward and swings with a wild haymaker that connects with Diego in the cheek. (Diego takes two points of might damage.) Three of the other faro players have drawn their weapons and begin firing on Diego, Eli and AJ. The man on the ground draws himself to his knees and crawls back toward the table, leaving a streak of blood spatters on the floor behind him.

(The three faro players are shooting at each of the three of you. AJ can still act before they fire, but speed defense checks from each of you to avoid the faro-fire. Then you can all act again. If the Colonel is still involved, he can act at will from the doorway, otherwise he will remain outside.)
Jul 8, 2015 4:29 pm
Eli is undeterred from his misfire, attempting to dodge the hail of bullets and firing off a silver bullet of his own..

Rolls

Speed defense trained) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

attack (handgun) - add 1 pt pierce dmg (5) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 8, 2015 9:34 pm
Spitting blood onto the floor, Diego once again reaches for his pistol in an attempt to defend himself from the soon to be corpse that smacked him.

Rolls

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jul 9, 2015 7:51 pm
I swing my barrel to line up with my next target.
"[OOC: Well look at that. A minor effect. Let's say my shot hits my target so that he drops his weapon. Sound good? ]
Last edited July 9, 2015 8:04 pm

Rolls

Attack (7 damage) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jul 11, 2015 1:36 am
AJ fires and a gun goes flying, the would be gunman's hand spurting blood and fingers, and, for some reason his face is also bleeding. Perhaps a ricochet? He screams.(Gunman 3 takes 7 points of damage and is badly hurt.)

Gunfire erupts from the other two faro players, and Eli takes a slug to the side. (Eli: 3 points of might damage from Gunman 4.)

Diego deftly dodges behind the bearded guy, who takes his faro partners bullet to the back. (3 points to the bearded Gunman 2 from Gunman 5). The bearded guy loses his action from the shock.
AJ can act again before the two faro players can fire again, and the bearded guy can punch Diego again. The guy with the mangled hand looks like he might be out of the fight.
Jul 13, 2015 11:06 pm
Kneeling to steady my aim more, I turn my sights to the next faro player.
ooc: aiming at gunman 4 and expending a level of effort while using Pierce for a total of 8 damage on a hit, costing 3 speed points.
Last edited July 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jul 13, 2015 11:48 pm
Ooc: it's not clear whether my previous 13 to hit actually hit (gunman 4 I assume). He shoots at gunman 4 again if AJ doesn't drop him. Otherwise another nearby target

Eli grunts when the bullet strikes, only slightly blunted by his this coat. He fires another round at his faro-foe.

Rolls

Attack roll (handgun, pierce, 5 dmg) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Speed defense if needed - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 14, 2015 2:10 pm
Diego plugs the bearded guy with a deafening roar from his .44 and the bearded guy spins from the two shots. He grabs the bar on his way down, and pulls a frilly lamp down with him.

AJ and Eli fire and nail a faro player (Gunman 4). He goes flying backwards from the leadstorm and crashes into the faro table. He is clearly dead.

Gunman 5 drops his gun and holds his hands up, backing away. There is a look of fear on his eyes, which also dart furtively towards a door to the backroom.

A hush falls over the saloon. Blood spreads from the wounds of multiple men, and the others have frozen in place like rabbits when an owl is near.

What are you going to do?
Jul 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Noticing the look given to the door to the backroom, I nudge Diego, "I think there's something worthwhile beyond that door." Keeping my rifle trained on everyone else, I prepare to make my way to the door.
Jul 14, 2015 10:18 pm
Diego nods to AJ as he raises his gun towards the man with his hands in the air. "Easy there, Gringo! You'd be dead before you'd ever make it to that door. Why don't you just drop to the ground so no one else gets hurt. Comprende?"

Diego will pull the hammer back on his pistol, just to show he means business as he covers AJ's move towards the door.
Jul 16, 2015 2:08 pm
The last faro player lies down beside the ruined table, his hands palm down by his ears, and his head cocked awkwardly so he can see you.

The bartender chortles from behind the bar. "Friend, you've done me a turn though I reckon you don't know that. Let me do you one in return." His eyes narrow as he looks at the bearded man. "Now, what's behind that door, is pain and hurt, and that's all you gotta know. All this racket has woken it up, and believe you me, when it wakes, it's no kind of fun."
Jul 17, 2015 2:54 pm
Having some idea of what the bartender may be referring to, Diego answers, "Maybe all of you should leave and let me and my amigos handle what's behind the door."
Jul 17, 2015 5:00 pm
While Eli would rather heed the bartenders warning, it seems that his new friend Diego is determined to open Pandora's Door, so he prepares himself for further action..
Jul 18, 2015 12:51 am
I refocus my aim to the crowd and take a step forward to emphasize Diego's point. "Everyone out." And then I cock my rifle. "Now."
Jul 18, 2015 12:58 am
The bartender, the waitress, the dealer, the last faro player and the two cigar smoking cowpokes all head for the door. They assist the wounded card players as well.

The saloon is empty, and the backroom door beckons.
Jul 18, 2015 2:11 am
"Amigos, I think I might have an idea..."

OOC: What does the door look like? Is it barred/locked in any way? Does it look like it's something that we could open quickly and throw something into? I'll make an Intellect roll to see what I can figure out about the door just for kicks.

Rolls

Intellect Roll - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jul 18, 2015 2:09 pm
The door is made of solid wood planks that are fit side to side with virtually no gaps. The door handle is just a wooden U-shaped piece for grasping, and it doesn't appear to have any visible lock on this side. The door fits into the door frame pretty well but there is a small gap around it. You're somewhat certain that there isn't a slidebolt on the other side, but you can't be 100% because of the imperfect light.
Jul 18, 2015 2:43 pm
Diego reaches into his pack and pulls out an old looking snuff box. Holding it out in front of him he says to the others, "If we can open the door rápido, we can throw this in, close the door, and it will blind anything in there. Should make things a might easier to handle."
Jul 21, 2015 4:17 am
As you approach the door, the floor begins to vibrate like a train is passing nearby. The shaking grows louder, even clinking the glasses on a shelf behind the bar. Then it stops, and a light flashes under the door.
Jul 25, 2015 2:31 pm
Diego looks around at the others and holding the snuff box in his right hand says, "Cover me, amigos, I'm going to throw this in."

Slowly approaching the door, he grabs the handle with his left hand and as quickly as he can, opens the door, throws in the device, and slams the door shut again. Once he's sure the device has activated he'll throw open the door and see what's inside.
Jul 25, 2015 2:59 pm
Satisfied the patrons weren't going to be a problem, I cover Diego, curious what his trinket would actually do. "Go for it." I added one of his words with a wry smile, "Amigo."
Jul 25, 2015 4:15 pm
Eli is ready for anything
Jul 26, 2015 2:57 am
After the bomb goes off, Diego throws open the door. AJ an Eli covering him, he stares at an ... empty room? Well, not empty, but there be no people.

The room is partly a store room, with shelves along one wall and wooden boxes of various sundries. There is a small table with several small casks of liquor. A bedroll with a crumpled blanket is laid out in front of a rough, pine desk. What draws the eye, however, is the flaming outline of a door on the wall behind the desk.

A few clues, such as a burning cigar and a still warm cup of coffee, tell you that someone was here moments ago. Based on that, you're fairly certain that the flaming door isn't the product of the flash bomb that Diego set off.
Give me some perception or investigation type rolls. If you have any peculiar skills, or skill with the peculiar, indicate it.
Jul 26, 2015 3:41 am
Diego looks back and gives AJ and Eli a confused glance and then looks back into the room trying to determine what the hell is happening.

Rolls

Perception/Investigation [Not trained in anything useful here] - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jul 26, 2015 11:57 am
Eli gives a thorough look over of all the things described, including the mysterious 'door'.

Rolls

perception (trained) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 26, 2015 12:03 pm
I stared in shock at the flaming doorway for a long moment. "What in the world?"

Rolls

Perception (untrained) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 26, 2015 5:16 pm
Diego stares longingly at the casks of liquor, wondering how valuable they are, and if he could get away with taking them. A glint catches his eye and he finds a small, crystal figurine of a unicorn between the casks. Instinctively, he knows this object is special.

Eli finds that the flames are dying down, and wonder on wonder, have not damaged the wooden wall at all. On the desk, he finds two items, a piece of formed leather that turns out to be a forearm bracer, and a pair of linked finger-rings. Your intuition tells you these items are 'unusual'.

AJ stares at the door, trying to perceive the nature of the room, and his eyes are drawn to a small box on a top shelf that looks uncharacteristically out-of-place. The box is contains some tissue paper, and underneath, a glass bottle with a shimmering, golden liquid, and a silver medallion with a Mexican eagle (on a cactus holding a snake in one claw). Again, you now that these items are special.

Together, Eli and AJ gain a similar understanding of the door before the flames utterly die out leaving no trace. The doorway contains the same 'magic' properties or whatever. Once the flames are gone, that property is gone, leaving a regular wall.

Lastly, on the desk is carved the word Alamo in a weird, strangely angular script.
You all can take two xp - one for the discovery of a portal thingy, and one more just because it seems right to do so. I'll send you pm's in a couple of hours with the nature of the cyphers that you have discovered. Let me know what you want to do next.
Jul 26, 2015 5:49 pm
Diego walks over towards the casks to pick up the crystal figure. "What are you, little unicornio?" Looking about the room a bit more he decides he's earned himself a drink. Taking and opening on of the casks, he puts it to his lips, and takes a nice long sip...
Aug 7, 2015 6:01 pm
Over the next little while, you are able to find little more from the room, the hiding-hole used by whoever created the fiery doorway.

The bartender, Hoss Melman, seems quite worried about this persons return. He tells you that the person, a very large, hairy man (close to 7 feet tall and probably over 400 pounds, little of which is fat) comes and goes as he pleases. The man called himself John Fenris, but kind of seemed like that was a joke somehow, though why he thought was funny is beyond Hoss' reckoning. Hoss knows that Mr. Fenris has a mean temper and a meaner streak a mile wide. He's got them all trained to sort out anyone who comes into the saloon, and pays them to do it, but it's bad work.

Once before, the bartender had thought that John Fenris or whatever his name really is had been in the room, and when he went in to check if he needed anything before Hoss locked up for the night, it was empty. Later Fenris returned (through the street door) saying that he had been at the Alamo gate and Hoss just hadn't seen him leave. He knows for sure that Mr. Fenris was in there just before because Betty over there (points at the lazy barmaid) took him a coffee. "Maybe he's gone and pried up the floor boards or such," Hoss speculates.

Other than that, he tells you that this all started a few weeks ago, when Mr. and Mrs. Fenris arrived and kind of took over the saloon, but they had some kind of drop down, knock 'em fight and she went hightailing it out of town, south he thinks. Her description matches one of the she-devils from the Blue Bell hotel in Rio Grande City. They have been making trips to the Alamo, but Hoss has never figured out why the army puts up with them cuz they clearly aren't army.
Aug 8, 2015 4:09 pm
"You'll have to excuse me, Amigo, but I no comprendo what you mean by 'sort out' people coming into the bar. What was it that this man was having you do exactly?"
Aug 8, 2015 4:45 pm
"That's a phrase he used though I ain't heard it before neither, and I took it to mean, well, just like you folk, we'd mess with 'em, call 'em down, get 'em all riled up, and see what's what. If things went right, then we'd get a good fight on, and Mr. Fenris liked that a real bunch. He right near fed on it, it seemed. Got a real charge, and was always looking for more blood on the floor."

The bartender's eyes look simultaneously excited and disgusted as he talks about this.
Aug 9, 2015 8:15 pm
Diego looks over to the others, "Any ideas, Amigos?"
Aug 17, 2015 10:20 am
"I don't reckon what all that means. But since Mr. Fenris makes a lot of trips to the Alamo, and he ain't here, maybe it's time for us to get back on our horses and go where we're supposed to be. The Alamo!"
Aug 17, 2015 11:07 am
"This don't make any sense, but not much has for a while now. I guess we get ourselves over to the Alamo." I say with a shrug.
Aug 18, 2015 2:05 am
"Got any rooms in this place, Gringo?" Diego asks the barkeep? "Been a long day, could use some sleep before heading out."
Aug 18, 2015 3:08 am
Hoss hands you some keys and says the rooms are around back of the saloon. The keys are iron with wooden toggles attached each with a number. He also offers to bring to the rooms some stew from the kitchen and some beer.
Aug 18, 2015 8:40 am
I don't understand why all the talk of rest until a wave of exhaustion overcomes me, causing me to become unsteady on my feet. "Woah. Nevermind fellas. I need a rest." I brace myself on a table I nearly toppled as I catch my breath.
Last edited August 21, 2015 4:49 pm
Aug 18, 2015 9:38 pm
Diego will grab a set of keys and heads off, "In the morning then, Amigos!"

Finding his room, Diego will first put his ear to the door and take a long listen. "No more surprises for me tonight..."

Rolls

Listening - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Aug 18, 2015 9:52 pm
Following suit with Deigo, I take a set of keys and find a room of my own. After a cursory look around the place, I fall into bed with a deep sigh. It's only after a moment that I grumble and get back up, grumpy from exhaustion. I get ready for sleep by setting my rifle just under the bed on my side, taking off my boots and jacket, and falling back and quickly falling asleep.
Aug 18, 2015 10:29 pm
Door locked, Eli lays down on his back, gun resting next to him, and puts his hat over his face. Sleep comes quickly
Aug 20, 2015 2:56 am
When you wake in the morning, you find a cold meal on the side table. You briefly recall Hoss bringing it by before locking up after himself and leaving you to your rest. While cold, the stew is thick and hearty and does much to restore your strength.

After refreshing yourself, you find each other and the colonel at the bar. Colonel Mortimer tells you that he had the horses cared for last night, and watched them as well. There were some devious fellers afoot and it seemed likely that the horses might find themselves liberated. Still, under his eye, they have remained yours.

With a canteen off water, a loaf and some mixed nuts and berries, you set off too the Alamo. The fort it's only a few miles away, so it doesn't take long. From a copse nearby, you can see the walls glintng in the dawn sunshine. The white masonry walls gleam almost golden in the light. Regardless, you can see damage from the war.

The fort itself seems only partially occupied. There are no men atop the walls, and the gates are open. At the front gate, one rifleman stands a lazy vigil. From your vantage, he looks a poor soldier, slouching hat low, and gruff in dress with an unprofessional beard visible even from this distance.
your pools are all replenished if you spent anything during the fight. Technically you would get some rolls... a quick recharge, a 10 minute recharge, and a one hour recharge IIRC.
Aug 20, 2015 9:39 pm
Even though many years have passed since the end of the Mexican-American war, Diego still has a lingering bitterness towards American soldiers, and he finds the sight of this poor excuse for a soldier particularly irksome. Bringing Diablo next to Eli's mount he whispers, "I'll let you do the talking, Amigo. Don't want to deal with the likes of him this morning."
Last edited August 20, 2015 9:39 pm
Aug 20, 2015 9:42 pm
Eli views the soldier with skepticism, assessing whether the laziness is a ruse or real.

Rolls

perception (trained) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Aug 21, 2015 1:22 am
Eli gets the impression that the man is simply impersonating being a soldier. Still, he seems like he may be capable enough, just doesn't have that sheen of training. He reminds you more of a tough guy at a dude ranch... acting like he's bored but really posing for somebody. But posing for who, Eli wonders?
Aug 21, 2015 1:34 am
Eli says to the "soldier", "You can drop the ruse, fella. I know you're not asleep, and you're no soldier either. Stand up and speak up, and let's all be friendly and honest. I'm Eli Buckholtz, I fought here at the Alamo in those dark days. Who be you, and what's your business?"
Aug 21, 2015 1:58 am
Hearing Eli accuse the man of just pretending to be a soldier, Diego's hand finds the hilt of one of his blades underneath his poncho.
Aug 21, 2015 2:19 am
I could almost feel Diego's reaction before I saw it. My hand went right over Diego's add I have him a look that said "there's no need for that."
Aug 21, 2015 1:36 pm
Up close, you can see that the false guard is covered in dried blood, his uniform torn and shredded as if by claws of some large beast. He smiles at you evilly, his lips raising to reveal oversize fang-like teeth. The smell of rotting flesh in the hot sun reaches you suddenly, overwhelming your gorge.

The Mexican warrior Diego reaches for a weapon, and something about that particular act something awakens inside of each of you...

Inside the compound, small dust zephyrs transform into Texas soldiers standing in parade. The buildings smooth over and repair themselves as numberless bullet holes disappear and shattered masonry becomes whole. Soldiers appear in greater numbers, gathered in the compound before one of them speaking. You see him draw a line in the dusty ground, gesture grandly, and then purposefully step across. One by one, all of the soldiers cross over and join him, filled with pride and grim determination, all except one. The others face the last man and you see in him the embodiment of inevitability, a spectre of the dark fate approaching from the south. The lone remaining man looks hauntingly familiar, if only you could focus, and see him more clearly. Your mind reaches out, drawn into the past even as your new senses scream at you to hang on, remind you of the peril at the gate you're forgetting.
Trapped between two worlds, each of you please roll a d20 to make Intellect defense rolls. At stake is whether you are drawn into the repeating past of the Alamo, or if you can keep your mind in the present. If you wish to spend effort on this roll, say so in advance.
Aug 21, 2015 1:53 pm
It's not right. I know it's not right. The changing scenery confuses me at first. I steadfastly refuse to believe it.
[OOC: Most definitely using Effort here (-3 int).]
[OOC: Fffffffffffff. I am so boned.]
[ooc: Spending 1 xp to reroll. using Effort again. Does that mean I lose 3 Int again?]
Last edited August 21, 2015 4:50 pm

Rolls

Intellect defense - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Intellect defense (reroll) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Aug 21, 2015 1:59 pm
His senses assailed, Eli tries to make sense of it all...

Rolls

Intellect defense roll, 1 level of Effort - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Aug 21, 2015 7:41 pm
OOC: I don't think you lose the 3 INT again, the XP basically gives you a do-over of the entire roll, from my understanding.

Diego shudders as realities seem to be colliding. "Maria Contessa Villa-Lobos better not slap me this time around." is his only thought as he closes his eyes and starts to violently shake his head back and forth. "No, no, no you don't!!!"

OOC: Not sure if Diego's 'Bold' skill applies or not as I'm not sure if this is really a 'fear' situation.
Last edited August 21, 2015 7:42 pm

Rolls

Intelligence Check [Trained in Resisting Fear w/effort] - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Aug 27, 2015 4:40 am
For AJ and Eli, the soldiers seem to fade away, as your mind exerts its will on the scene - the courtyard is empty save for the guard in front of you. Diego's attention, however, remains fixed on the scene unfolding before him. You see the fake guard smile at Diego's misfortune, but with an unintelligible curse of surprise at the clarity in Eli and AJs eyes, he fumbles for his holster.

Diego, you see the events unfolding as the despicable soldiers of the Alamo prepare to defend against the heroic and soon-to-be-triumphant assault by his countrymen. Your understanding of the ensuing 10+ years begins fading from memory as you start to fall into the role of a Mexican scout first breaching the walls well ahead of the army - there will be many guns aimed at you and at none other.
Initiative please. Diego is unaware of the gate guard, AJ and Eli for the time being, unless something can snap him out of the spell he's under.
Aug 27, 2015 8:56 am
"Shit!" I quickly swear at myself as I bring my rifle up. It was foolish of me to think we wouldn't be in danger here. Aiming as I kneel, I don't notice Diego's predicament.

Rolls

(1) = 1

Attack (7 damage) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Aug 27, 2015 9:52 am
"I have my own ghosts of the Alamo, ain't no one gonna make me see any others!" Eli barks at the ghoulish man before him. Quick as ever he draws his gun and fires.

Rolls

(14) = 14

(16) = 16

Aug 27, 2015 8:10 pm
The guard, fumbling for his holster, draws his gun out but takes a slug from Eli in his shoulder. He curses again, saying something that sounds like "shit-sickle", before firing at Eli. Without even waiting too see the results of his shot, he drops the gun and arches his back, growling in pain as his skin begins to sprout fur.

AJs own round catches him in the forehead which explodes outward, splashing the wall behind him. The fur on his skin vanishes as he slides lifelessly down the wall.
Speed defense from Eli, please.
Aug 27, 2015 8:10 pm
The guard, fumbling for his holster, draws his gun out but takes a slug from Eli in his shoulder. He curses again, saying something that sounds like "shit-sickle", before firing at Eli. Without even waiting too see the results of his shot, he drops the gun and arches his back, growling in pain as his skin begins to sprout fur.

AJs own round catches him in the forehead which explodes outward, splashing the wall behind him. The fur on his skin vanishes as he slides lifelessly down the wall.
Speed defense from Eli, please.
Aug 27, 2015 8:18 pm
Eli tries to jump out of the way when the beast aims at him...

Rolls

Speed defense - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Aug 27, 2015 9:09 pm
Eli takes 4 points of might damage from the shot.

Diego, hearing all of the gunfire right beside him that isn't a part of the battle for the Alamo, can make another intellect defense roll to break the spell.
Aug 27, 2015 9:11 pm
Diego dismounts Diablo and prepares to scamper up to the walls as quickly as possible

Rolls

(12) = 12

Aug 27, 2015 9:56 pm
"That's gonna leave a mark" as he digs out the slug and applies some bandages (Ooc recovery roll)

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Aug 29, 2015 6:15 pm
"Where's all the gun fire coming from?"

Rolls

Intellect Roll - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Aug 30, 2015 7:37 pm
Diego feels his mind slipping away, as if sleep were coming on unbidden. His recent experiences slowly seep from him, moving towards rendering him an inactive participant in a recreation of the Battle for the Alamo. However, something strange about the gunfire from his companions draws his attention and he reaches grasping at motes of dust in the wind, as it were. He finds his way slowly back to the present, and the Texan forces fade away. He sees AJ and Eli nearby, eyeing him with some trepidation.

Beyond the walls, you can see the Alamo proper. The chapel in the rear right dominates the eye, but the garrison to the left is larger. The brief gun battle has drawn a few eyes, and several nuns duck into the chapel building. The doors to the garrison open violently and several Texan soldiers charge out. One is pulling his suspenders on, dual pistols strapped to his hips, and three others are carrying rifles. Unlike all Texan soldiers you know of, two of them are women. The four of them look at the gate, and bring their rifles to bear.
Initiative once again please.
Aug 30, 2015 7:57 pm
Questioning his sanity, Diego is unsure what to make of the soldiers charging out of the gate. "Dream or not, I have no intention of dying."

Rolls

(8) = 8

Aug 30, 2015 11:43 pm
"Ain't no rest for the wicked!" He goes to activate his leather arm bracer (in front of these assailants) and then dashes away for cover

Rolls

(16) = 16

Fleet of Foot (action and short move) 3 or higher (trained in running) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Sep 1, 2015 5:11 pm
Seeing the advancing "soldiers", I notice the suspender-wearing dual pistol shooter and take aim on him.

Rolls

(1) = 1

Sep 2, 2015 1:24 pm
Eli activates a cypher and a brief flash occurs in front of the garrison. The man in suspenders transforms into a werewolf, and begins to stalk forward; when he reaches where the flash occurred, he keels over. The rifle-toting men/women fire their guns. Speed defense rolls please.
Sep 2, 2015 2:15 pm
Eli tries to avoid the gunfire barrage...

After the barrage he returns fire

Rolls

Speed defense (with cover? - an asset?) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Handgun 4 damage +1 point of piercing - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 2, 2015 2:42 pm
"Was that another..." Diego only get halfway through is though before it becomes apparent that he needs to find some cover.

Rolls

Speed Defense [w/ Effort] - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Sep 2, 2015 4:38 pm
What was that? I thought as I saw my former target fall from whatever it was Eli did. I dive for cover before taking aim at another "soldier".
[OOC: Giving attack roll even though I know I'm last to go.]
Last edited September 2, 2015 4:39 pm

Rolls

Speed Defense (specialized) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Attack (8 damage w/ free use of Pierce) - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 3, 2015 3:01 am
A hail of bullets chews up the ground behind your footfalls as you run for cover. A bullet even pierces Diego's poncho but misses his skin.

Eli and AJ fire their weapons, Eli's goes wide while AJ hits a rifle-wielding woman between the eyes, killing her instantly.

The suspendered man lies still on the ground. One of the riflemen steps forward toward him, and he, too, falls unconscious. The others exchange worried glances and redouble their fire.
Diego can act before they go again, then speed defenses from Eli and AJ, please. There are two still up, two unconscious, and one nearly headless but fully dead.
Sep 3, 2015 10:55 am
"These things got the bloodlust, no backing down from them.", he sighs as he returns fire.

Rolls

Speed defense (with asset from cover) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

(18) = 18

Sep 3, 2015 5:55 pm
Shocked but happily so by Eli's.. whatever it was he did, I shout over the gunfire to him. "Whoah! Eli, whatever you did, I sure am glad you did it." I take aim and shoot at one of the remaining "soldiers".
[OOC: If there's cover I can dive behind, maybe the kind I can shoot while still mostly behind that cover, I'm going to move for it.]

Rolls

(5) = 5

(15) = 15

Sep 3, 2015 9:23 pm
Diego will draw his pistol and fire at one of the two still firing.

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Sep 4, 2015 1:28 pm
Diego fires his gun but misses. Overwhelmed by the losses they are taking the last two riflemen fire their weapons, also missing their targets, but then drop the weapons and arch their backs in pain. Hair sprouts from their arms and turns to fur, and their jaws jut out unnaturally.

The shifting monsters make for interesting targets and all three of you hit your targets. [+2 dmg for Eli's nat 18]. One of the targets goes down but you can see the change still occurring on him.
Next actions?
Sep 4, 2015 2:03 pm
Cursing himself for missing the first shot, Diego does his best to steady his arm and takes aim and the one monster still standing.

EDIT: BALLS!
Last edited September 4, 2015 2:03 pm

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Sep 4, 2015 3:21 pm
A natural 1 provokes a GM intrusion without the xp award. In this case, Diego's gun misfires and will require an action to free the failed bullet from the weapon before it can be fired again.
Sep 5, 2015 3:10 am
Time to finish these varmints off...

Rolls

Handgun 4pts +1 pierce - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Speed defense if needed - with cover - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Sep 9, 2015 6:14 pm
The wolf-man standing rushes forward, takes a slug from Eli, and then falls to the ground unconscious after passing through the invisible wall. The second wolf-man, who had been gunned down, lies where he fell and twitches on the ground. There is no one currently threatening you.

You think that all three creatures are still alive. Three of them are in wolf-monster form, the other is still human. Lastly, one of the wolf-men, the one that was gunned down, was not rendered unconscious by Eli's cypher, and his wounds are healing.

As to the effect of Eli's cypher, you cannot see it. (Eli can remember where he set it, if he shares that info.)
As an aside: I'm not sure if any of you were using silver rounds, so I have assumed not.
Sep 10, 2015 12:14 pm
OOC: Actually I had assumed my default WAS using silver rounds, since we had acquired a large number of rounds earlier. But that's fine, I'll be explicit next time.

IC: Eli puts down the healing wolf-man with a silver bullet to the head. He looks to his companions, motions ahead of him and says, "Here is the invisible barrier I made to knock out these three. Be careful not to cross it yourself. Now, these beasts have never been ones to reason with, and are filled with bloodlust. I have no problem putting each to their death with a silver bullet, but I don't want to deny you the pleasure of getting into the action." (OOC: He will put down one other, and leave the other two for his companions).
Sep 13, 2015 2:31 pm
Diego curses his luck and tried to clear the jam out of his revolver.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, losing track of where we're at as far as actions our concerned.

Rolls

Clear Jam - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Sep 13, 2015 2:40 pm
Diego clears his jam easily.

As you approach Eli's invisible wall, you can hear a faint crying noise coming from the chapel, which is off to your right. You're near the garrison doors (the garrison is mostly to your left) that these 'soldiers' exited from. The soldiers are wearing uniforms that don't fit very well, and you can see that their weapons are well cared for but not exceptional. One thing that does draw the eye is that one of the male soldiers is wearing a necklace that looks like a snowflake.
Sep 16, 2015 1:41 am
Preferring to work with his blade, Diego approaches one of the wounded 'soldiers' and slowly works his knife through its neck. "Little more messy, but I feel much better detaching this things head from its body!"

Walking up to the edge of the wall, Diego eyes the solder with necklace. "What you think it means, Amigo?"
Sep 17, 2015 3:33 am
I look over to Diego slightly disgusted. "I guess that's what we have to do." I take out my knife and decapitate another "soldier".
Sep 19, 2015 3:08 am
After a brief series of very messy coup-de-gras you find some odd trinkets on the soldiers, but before you get too far into their pockets, you hear the sounds of heavy boots on planks. The sound comes from inside the garrison.

Carefully pushing past the door, you find a long mess hall and to the right, stairs going down. The mess hall is empty, with only a couple of plates set even though there is room for maybe a 100 soldiers too eat at once. From the cellar is where the heavy foot falls sound. From inside, the sound is ominous, and you envision that whoever is making those noises must be huge.

A quick peek down the stairs and you see only darkness.
Sep 19, 2015 5:38 pm
Diego will scan the dinner hall for anything that may work as a source of light.

Rolls

Search - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 19, 2015 5:50 pm
Eli tries to determine the source of the footsteps, cautiously moving down the stairs, gun in hand

Rolls

Perception (trained; specialized when tracking living things) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 19, 2015 9:01 pm
Diego looks around and quickly spots a cupboard near the door and the stairs, and inside are a couple lanterns (nice and full) along with [period appropriate] matches. There is also some assorted rain ponchos, shovels, buckets and other assorted things.

[O.O a critical skill check. So with a 19, I'll give you a success on the perception, and also a minor effect.]. Eli gets the impression that there is one person downstairs moving things about. That person is really heavy, wearing sturdy leather boots, and they're in a deliberate sorta hurry, but they dont shuffle their feet. You're darn near certain they're moving furniture around carefully, tipping tables over and the like. not making much noise at that, but some.
"Any suggestions on the minor effect? We could say you get an asset on initiative (should you decide to draw down on 'em) or your next action towards them, or something similar.

I'm assuming AJ is trailing behind, maybe watching the door, just trying to keep us moving along. Jump in when you want.
Sep 19, 2015 9:22 pm
[OOC: oops! Yeah he's following. Was trying to figure out what to do when I fell asleep.]

I poke my head into the stairwell and whisper to Eli "Whaddya hear? What is that?"
Sep 19, 2015 9:55 pm
Diego will grab a couple of lanterns and some matches and walk quietly over to AJ. "These might help a bit!"
Sep 19, 2015 11:03 pm
"Someone down there is either about to do something bad, or is waiting to ambush us. We should strike now before he gets too fortified!" He leaps down the stairs and prepares to shoot if a clear hostile.

Rolls

Initiative (trained) plus minor effect asset - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Attack roll - with pierce (5 damage) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Sep 20, 2015 9:45 pm
At the bottom of the stairs, the dirt floored passage leads to the left, past some shelves. The passage goes 3 or 4 yards to an archway, beyond which is a dirt walled and floored room the room is lit by some dim, flickering unnatural source that you can't yet see. You see two heavy, wooden tables have been overturned to form a defensive barricade, but it isn't really enough to contain the bulk of the monstrosity behind. The demon is basically man-shaped, but it's skin is covered in short bluish fur. It's head is wolf-like, and you can see its head, shoulders and about half of its chest over the table as it adjusts one of the tables. A brief estimate puts the torso on this thing about the right size for a bull. It's eyes turn toward you, and in them you see a mixture of intelligence and fury.

Eli fires from the bottom of the stairs, and his round hits the creature in the shoulder. Unfortunately, you're not sure that it noticed all that much.
Anyone else who wants to join in should probably roll initiative..
Sep 20, 2015 9:57 pm
Hearing the shot ring out Diego will forego the lamps and rush down the stairs to join his companion.

Rolls

(14) = 14

Sep 20, 2015 11:00 pm
Diego can act before the foe, but he's at the top of the stairs. Normally, you can only move an immediate distance (up to 3 yards) as part of an action, and the stairs will interfere. However, Diego has the Fast descriptor, so he can run a short distance (up to 50 feet) and still attack.

AJ has the Fleet of Foot Move, so he can run the distance with a Speed check diffculty 2. Since he is also Trained in Running, that means he will make it and still act on a 3 or higher. With a failure, AJ would make it most of the way, but wouldn't be able to act until next round.
Sep 21, 2015 6:27 am
Springing into action along with my compatriots, I run gotten the stairs. Once I see the creature, I recognize the furry in his eyes and take aim.
"[OOC: looks like I go last, easily make it down the stairs, and deal +2 (?) damage because of the 18. Right? ]
Last edited September 21, 2015 6:29 am

Rolls

(2) = 2

Speed test - (1d20)

(11) = 11

(18) = 18

Sep 21, 2015 1:14 pm
AJ's action will occur after the beasts, and yup, the 18 gets +2 damage.
Sep 21, 2015 9:41 pm
Diego, just able to make out the beast's form in the shadows, raises his pistol and fires.

Rolls

Attack [Medium Weapon/Pierce] - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Sep 22, 2015 12:54 am
Speed defense please, Eli. Then I'll describe the action.
Sep 22, 2015 9:55 am
Eli sees the beast getting ready to strike and...

Rolls

Speed defense plus 1 level of Effort - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Sep 22, 2015 1:29 pm
Diego races down the stairs and fires off a shot but it plugs harmlessly into the table barricade. The creature raises its fist from below the table, clutching a cannon ball. It hurls the ball at Eli with unbelievable power but he deftly side steps. Meanwhile, the bullet wound from Eli's first shot had begun smoking, and the creature bellows. In an instant, the beast shrinks in size and behind the table you see instead a man with blacked out spectacles and a strangely cut black leather duster.

AJ arrives down the stairs, and raises his weapon. His bullet strikes true, blasting the man onto his back out of sight behind the tables. From his location, you hear the tell tale click of a weapon being cocked, then another.

Eli & Diego » Neo » AJ. Please add speed defense rolls to your action in case you get targeted by.... something.
Eli's damage: 5 + 2 [silver] - 2 [armor] = 5
AJ's damage: 8 + 2 [silver] - 2 [armor] + 2 [natural 18] = 10
Sep 22, 2015 4:33 pm
"If you don't immediately toss that gun over hear, you're as good as dead, sir!"

Assuming no gun is surrendered....

(OOC: here's to hoping I hit him first cuz that 1 is gonna hurt...)
(OOC2: I forgot to ask you about its weakness - if any - via my Find the Flaw ability...)
Last edited September 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Rolls

Handgun attack, with 1 level of Effort (7damage+2 silver) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Speed defense (if necessary) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Sep 22, 2015 4:39 pm
Weakness to silver remains in human form.
Sep 22, 2015 9:28 pm
Diego steadies himself a bit and fires off another round.

Rolls

Attack [Medium Weapon] - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Sep 24, 2015 12:06 am
Eli and Diego each fire a shot but both go wide, though Eli's just barely. The leather duster wearing former beast stands up carrying two strange metal guns and suddenly the air is filled with dozens of bullets! Eli and Diego both catch hell in the flying lead [5 might damage each] while failing to dive out of the way. A frenzied howl of laughter echoes from the man as his guns click empty and small canisters drop out of the bottom.
AJ (also still need a speed defense for this hail if bullets, plus another for next round please) » Eli & Diego » Neo
Sep 24, 2015 12:12 am
"Ugh, son of a..." As Eli copes with his various wounds. He fires back and attempts to take cover.

(Ooc do we get the +1 bonus to hit for ganging up?)
(Ooc 2: that +1 doesn't matter for me anyway... looks like I'm in trouble)
Last edited September 24, 2015 12:13 am

Rolls

Attack roll (silver bullet in handgun +pierce)=7 damage - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Speed defense if needed - with cover(?) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Sep 24, 2015 1:26 am
Rocking back as he feels a bullet tear into his shoulder Diego drops to one knee and grabs the Crystal Unicorn he found earlier and will activate it. (Speed Defense asset for the next hour).

Rolls

Activate Level 4 Cypher (if roll needed - with intellect effort) - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Sep 24, 2015 9:09 am
Dodging out of the way, I take a careful shot before having to dodge the "man's" next attack.

Rolls

(15) = 15

(15) = 15

Attack (8 damage w/ free use of Pierce) + 1 level of Effort - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Sep 24, 2015 2:01 pm
AJ avoids the gunfire and returns fire, striking the man again, causing horrific damage. Eli's bullet booms past his head and sinks into the dirt wall behind him. Diego, possibly suffering from war madness, starts playing with a toy horse. Blood fountains behind the man as he fumbles a new canister into his guns. He snarls and pulls a ball off his chest and a piece of it springs off and goes flying.

"You want my guns? Catch," A hard metal object comes bouncing over the tables at you, and while it doesn't seem familiar in shape, he threw it like a grenade. It explodes amidst the three of you. Shrapnel and smoke fills the area, and your ears ring loudly. Diving to the ground, AJ avoids most of the damage but Eli is flung hard into a wall, a thousand points of pain tearing his skin [5 might damage, spills into speed damage when you run out of might, then into intellect damage].
Need a speed defense roll from Diego (with an asset) for the grenade. Then AJ, then Eli and Diego can all act.
Sep 24, 2015 5:11 pm
Bleeding from multiple wounds, Eli says to AJ, "Don't be worried about what happens next; Trust me, I'll be ready to help out real soon!" He slips on his ring finger-links -- and disappears!

(OOC: Vanishing cypher activated. Eli hops over (or goes around?) the interposing barrier and moves off to the side of the assailant - close enough to shoot him with no cover to aid him, but not too close where he could easily be heard)

Rolls

Stealth check - temporarily specialized + 1 reduced step for Tracker/Hunter ability-results in roll - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Speed defense if necessary - specialized via cypher - results in roll - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 6:47 pm
Eli moves around the barricade and into the room. The man is fumbling with his guns, his back to the barricade. Blood pours from his wounds, and his left arm appears to be useless. He breathes raggedly, blood foaming from his lips.

But to your right, the source of the strange flickering light becomes apparent. You see a devils pentagram lying on the floor, maybe three feet in diameter, cast in bronze, with peculiar symbols engraved in the metal. Above the pentagram, a flickering, black field of nothingness hovers in the air, the edges crackling with static electricity. As your gaze is drawn momentarily to the black field, there seems to be an image, or a window to some other place, visible only like a painting under oil that's bordering on deep enough hide it.

Lastly, Eli registers in the corner of the room is a desk o drawers with a journal and what must be a pen on top. A number of chairs are pushed out of the way along the walls of the room, and a sack of clothes or such is on one chair. There are no other exits.
Sep 24, 2015 9:23 pm
Speed defense...

Rolls

Speed Defense (with asset) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Sep 24, 2015 9:38 pm
I take the opportunity to take another shot while the "man" is distracted.
[OOC: Oops. Guess that speed defense wasn't necessary.]
Last edited September 24, 2015 9:39 pm

Rolls

(4) = 4

(7) = 7

Sep 24, 2015 9:40 pm
Diego activates the cypher, but before he focusses on the battle an explosion flips him end over end, his chin hitting the wall at the same time as his feet hit the roof. He then crashes to the floor.[5 might damage.]
Diego's action, then the machinegunner.
Sep 24, 2015 9:45 pm
AJ waits for a good shot at the man but when he does shot, his rifle shot only tears a piece of the table away, showering the man with splinters.
Sep 24, 2015 9:51 pm
Diego reaches for his pistol, only to find that its been thrown from his holster. Grabbing on of his knives he does his best to fling it at the beast while still on the ground.

OOC: Diego is impaired, so his effort costs one more.

Rolls

Attack Roll (with effort) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 24, 2015 10:05 pm
Diego's blade flies true. As the man dodges AJs shot, Diego anticipates correctly so when he pops up, a blade sinks into his cheek. He falls to the ground, gurgling blood and twitching.
Sep 24, 2015 10:08 pm
I watch the man twitch through the sight on my rifle, wondering if it's really over.
Sep 24, 2015 10:10 pm
Eli, invisibly, steps over the dying were beast a puts a silver bullet in its head.

He then moves back to the desk, searching it and looking for any writing or other clues.
Last edited September 24, 2015 10:10 pm
Sep 24, 2015 10:20 pm
Diego is going to simply lay where he's and try to recover a bit.

Rolls

Recovery Roll [Action] - (1d6+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Sep 24, 2015 10:21 pm
The sudden, final gunshot seems all the louder. It rings like a death knell from a church tower, clear and brought in the still air. Lit only by the flickering electricity surrounding the demonic gateway, Eli searches the desk, and finds a journal that is almost entirely empty except for a couple entries.
August 5, 2015

The inopposite gate lead us to a recursion based on the wild west. We're trapped in some sort of historical reenactment of the battle for the Alamo. The gate opened right in the cellar of the Alamo itself. Luckily, the soldiers were mostly off tearing Mexico a new one. More lucky that the Texans werent being outclassed by the Mexican hoard right when we came through. We killed most of the soldiers, but one was awakened and gave a bit of a stink. Could of jumped him in, but once we got the blood going there was no stopping us, haha. The rest seemed trapped in some kind of hallucination. That dream almost grabbed some of us, too, but a little wolf bite and they were back in their heads.

August 9, 2015

I'm not sure what were doing here. Big John thinks we can make ourselves kings here. There's just enough Strange here to let the Curse work, at least for a little while. But if this gate closes we're not coming here as ourselves, that's for sure. So what's the plan? I say we grab what we can and get out, maybe tear up that dirty little town nearby in a night of teeth and claws and screams. Still, Big John makes the rules, and I guess we just gotta go with it. At least we're not being harassed by bloodsuckers like back in The Gloaming.
Sep 24, 2015 10:47 pm
Eli's final shot signaled my body to finally relax and take the fullest breath I had taken in far too long. Lowering my rifle, I lean against the wall for a moment before heading over to Eli, just now noticing what he's discovered.

Rolls

Recovery roll (action) - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 11:23 pm
Eli points out the journal to his comrades.

"He looks around and grumbles, "People always laughed at me when I said there was a basement in the Alamo. Least I got two witnesses this time".

Then he slowly takes off his hat, coat and shirt, examining his numerous wounds. He sits down gingerly for a rest.

(Ooc: 2 recovery rolls needed. I think u used one earlier, so this time I will need an hour).

Rolls

Recovery x2 - (2d6+2)

(33) + 2 = 8

Sep 25, 2015 12:03 am
Anyone else want to use a longer recovery roll should roll it. Otherwise, what do you do with the hour Eli is spending flat on his back?
Sep 25, 2015 1:21 am
"A rest sound mighty fine." Feeling physically and emotionally drained, I squat down near Eli and quietly discuss what he discovered. "Looks like these creatures were from another world. This ... thing" I motion to the portal, "was their way back." I consider the implications for a minute. "You think there 're more through that?"

Rolls

Recovery roll (1 hr) - (1d6+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Sep 25, 2015 1:40 am
Diego will use his 10 minute recovery roll and spend the rest of the hour looking about the place.

Rolls

Recovery - (1d6+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Searching About - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Sep 25, 2015 4:32 am
Diego finds:
- from the 'man', another grenade (damage 4 in a 15' radius), his two pistol-sized machine-guns (damage 4), with four canisters of ammunition (30 rounds in each), his leather duster (armor 2), and an assortment of personal items that make little sense to you, but 2 of which catch your eye
- a shard of crystal (cypher: Radiation spike, level 9)
- a small, strange scope mounted to one of the guns (cypher: Sniper module, level 5)
- from the desk, you find four more cyphers
- a glass bottle with an eyedropper of silver liquid (cypher: Melt all, level 9)
- a tube of glue (cypher: Glue, level 6)
- a clip-on style earring (cypher: Vanisher, level 8)
- a sticky patch with a removable cover (cypher: Mind meld, level 2)
- from the satchel on the chair, you find a bunch of clothing that looks like it would fit this man, all of strange materials and amazingly high grades of quality, and several books about a wizard living in Chicago
Sep 25, 2015 4:33 am
You can each take 2 xp at this point, one for discovering the portal, and the other for discovering the journal and learning of the wolfpeople's world, The Gloaming.
Sep 25, 2015 10:00 pm
I suppose the question of the day is are you going to: 1) attempt to go through the portal yourselves; 2) attempt to destroy the portal; 3) ignore the portal and leave; or 4) do something else.

As an aside, your characters should have figured out that there are several ways to translate, so this portal isn't unique in that regards. But the journal does suggest that the portal offers some advantage to these wolf-demon hombres.

Lastly, if you want to spend some xp, stuff generally costs 4 xp to get you something permanent. I can elaborate if you don't have the core rule book.
Sep 26, 2015 4:00 am
Diego will add 4 points to his stat pool.
Sep 27, 2015 10:42 pm
After my rest, I go over to Diego with the strange items he's studying. "Whatcha got there buddy?"
[OOC: I have 3 xp total. I want to keep some in order to use them for other things. - LIKE REROLLS.]
Sep 27, 2015 11:22 pm
I examine the items as well. He nods over to the portal and asks, "so what do you think about that thing?"

Ooc I'm going to increase my speed edge
Sep 27, 2015 11:40 pm
"I think it's dangerous and no good can come from it." I look at the crackling black portal suspiciously. "I don't want to see any more of these creatures, but I wonder if it'll take us home."
Sep 28, 2015 12:58 am
Diego looks over the items carefully, trying to determine what might be useful, and discussing the options with the others. "Appears to be some useful things here. The three of us should decide what we take and then get moving." Pocketing the grenade, one of the machine pistols, two canisters of ammo, and the crystal shard. He points at the scope device - "Might work well for one of your rifles..."

Studying the portal Diego responds to AJ, "Home, Amigo? One way to find out..."
Oct 3, 2015 1:23 am
After Diego's trailing sentiment, you stare at each other and the "portal" for what feels like a week. It flickers at you with a mad, erratic pace and you feel that if you stare at it long enough it may begin to make sense. Alas.

Deep within its murky depths, your unflinching gaze makes out a flash as if a lantern suddenly was shone on the other side. The surface of the portal turns into waves and then a small box slides through and lands on the floor. The portal grows still.

From the smell, the box seems like it may contain hot food.
Oct 3, 2015 1:40 am
OOC: "for what feels like a week" - more like five days. :-)

Kneeling by the box, Diego stares at it for a few seconds before picking it up and examining it.

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 3, 2015 1:54 am
"Mmm that smells good. Been a long time since I've had warm food". He cautiously waits for Diego's assessment
Oct 3, 2015 2:17 am
The box, made of a thick sort of strange paper, opens to reveal a number of thick paper boxes ohttp://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/5tmmMVpiB5uhLgfA-J9OpQ/348s.jpgf food. It smells rich, spicy and oddly fruity.
Oct 3, 2015 2:23 am
Diego looks through the smaller boxes and finds something that looks somewhat familiar. "Pequeño burritos!" he exclaims as he grabs one of the rolls and takes a bite. "Not bad. Not a burrito, but not bad..."

Offering some of the boxes to the others he asks, "Do you think there is more food on the other side of that thing?"
Oct 3, 2015 2:26 am
If Diego says they are good, Eli tucks in
Oct 3, 2015 2:44 pm
The food is strange and complex but rich and satisfying. Having rested for a time and eaten, you feel the walls close in on you. Perhaps it's the portal that doesn't allow you to really relax lest some onnery critter come through with bad intentions. Still, Diego's suggestion to mayhaps go through hangs unanswered in the dingy air.

After some time, each of you wading through your thoughts and preparing yourselves to face the unknown, you hear a noise upstairs, the sound of a stallion whinnying loudly when near a mare.
Oct 3, 2015 2:51 pm
With the sound of the horse, Eli snaps out of his dreamlike state, at one point contemplating to possibilities offered by the portal. He grabs his gear and dashes up the stairs towards the sounds
Oct 3, 2015 3:17 pm
(In your gear, had you picked any of the new cyphers?)
Oct 3, 2015 4:03 pm
Diego will follow Eli up the stairs, new machine pistol at the ready.
Oct 3, 2015 4:09 pm
(I had written down some items of interest but hadn't cleared it by my fellow gamers. These include: given my heavy shrapnel, taking the leather duster to replace my own; the grenade; the Sniper module; some clothes; the book on the Chicago wizard, since from the few pages he has read, the person also shares a like for leather dusters).
Oct 3, 2015 4:24 pm
At the top of the stairs, Eli cautiously peers out and find the garrison still empty. At the door, you both peer through and see an alarmingly long rifle pointed at your eyeballs. Fortunately, the old man on the other side of the rifle looks familiar. Louis Garderose lowers the rifle and eyes the leather trenchcoat, then Diego's submachinegun.

He stares at Eli and Diego for a spell, and then pulls a mangled silver cross from around his neck and steps forward. "Son, I gotta touch this here cross to you both, unnerstand? I gotta know." He holds it towards Eli's left hand, shaking slightly with palsy. His rifle is lowered, but his other hand grips it firmly.
Oct 3, 2015 5:19 pm
"I can understand your skepticism, Louis", Eli says, as he grips the silver cross in his hand with conviction.
Oct 3, 2015 5:27 pm
"Not a bad idea, Amigo!" Diego says as he takes his turn with the cross.
Oct 3, 2015 5:35 pm
Louis quickly checks your hand and then places his own hand on the cross as if to feel it's warmth. He nods and then checks Diego and AJ. Again, he seems satisfied with the results.

He shoulders his rifle by the strap, and then looks around. "I came here a short time back and fell into the battle. Some officer lined us all up and said he was gonna fight til the end and everyone should cross some line to agree with that plan. Everyone crossed, everyone cept me. Oh I wanted to fight, but deep down I knew it weren't real, so I stood my ground and they all faded away." He frowns and continued, "I knew it weren't real, but I wanted to. I could feel the call to glory. Ain't right a man should be asked such things if it ain't real. Probably ain't real."

He turns back to you. "Well? Did ya find it?"
Oct 3, 2015 5:50 pm
Later, back downstairs, as you all contemplate the riddle of the portal, he starts telling a story...
A road-worn traveller stepped into the room. His knee length duster blocked most of the light to the dim interior, his round hat starkly breaking his silhouette. He paused, before stepping entirely inside and closing the door behind him. His turned about the room, letting his eyes adjust to the darkness. He soon spotted something that held his attention, and he took two steps forward, standing square in front of an old woman knitting by the fireplace.

"Louis Garderose," he said, his thumbs sliding from chest high down to his hips, pushing the edges of his duster back and showing the modified handles on his Colt revolvers. "Ma’am," he added, a little too slowly. His wrinkled, right hand tipped his bowler hat slightly down his forehead. His hand then ran down his trimmed grey beard thinned with age.

The old woman, dressed much like a puritan, finished her knitting row, while examining Louis with her wrinkled gaze. She finished her row and set the knitting aside. "You a changing one?" she asked suspiciously.

Garderose shifted uncomfortably and shrugged a shiver off of his shoulders. "No, ma’am. I ain’t reckoned I been done changed yet."

She pointed at something above the door. "Lookee yee, there, and tell me what you see."

Garderose turned, and above the door he had just passed under, was a human skull, mounted somewhat like a deerhead. The flesh had dried and pulled pack the mouth into a demonic grimace, made all-the-more baleful for the sharp teeth, long like a wolf’s, that protruded from the top jaw.

Garderose made the sign of the cross, and turned back to the old woman. "I done run into one of them a mess back, outside Fort Alamo. I plugged it with lead square and it done got back up. I hightailed it." He pauses again, his jaw chewing itself. "It caught me up just south of San Antonio. We wrestled some, and I set it afire with a lantern. It kept coming, like it had crawled out from the Abyss with a taste for my soul. Twelve shots, the wounds closed. Kerosene burns, knitting themselves like your scarf there. Outta luck and outta time, I stabbed it with my Jim Bowie, and then it was on me and frothing at my neck."

He pauses once more, and turns back to the skull, before continuing, his voice growing quieter. "All a sudden, it just hollered like I was the devil and it was the prey. On it’s cheek, there glowed a cross like there done be a fire inside. I felt at my throat and there was my wife’s cross, hot like blood." He signs the cross again, and turns to the old woman once more. "Well, I ripped that cross off that chain and I jumped on that beast and I hammered that cross into his head with the butt of my Colt like I was driving a railroad nail. That did it. I guessed it couldn’t take the Lord’s power, ma’am."

She leaned back, rocking in her chair. "Maybe," she said cryptically. "You still got that cross?"

From under his shirt, he pulled out a battered cross, abused harshly but hammered roughly back into shape. It’s silver shine glowing in the light from the fireplace.

"Silver cross." She muttered. "You need to go back to Fort Alamo, and fetch me something."

"I reckon I exactly ain’t welcome back there, ma’am, but I’ll go."

"Best get some people to join you. You ain’t young no more, Moses."
Oct 3, 2015 6:24 pm
"That woman I was talking about is Ida Jericho. She ain't from around here, if you catch my meaning. But she's taken it upon herself to make sure the apples and the oranges don't get to uppity with each other. Like them demons coming here and kickin all the hornets nests they can find. Well, she's against that fer some reason."

He gestures at the portal. "I reckon that's what she sent me for, but you kind folk cleared the way for me." He scratches his balding pate and says, "I just ain't sure how we is supposed to move it."

He watches your eyes, weighing your responses, verbal or otherwise. "It's mighty tempting to just tuck through that and see what's what, I bet. But them demons just don't seem like a whole lotta fun, even if I was all adventurous like. You young folk gotta choice, I reckon. You go through this and I dismantle it from this side, trappin you there til you find your way, or you can come with me. If you want off the Rio Grande, there's other ways and I can show you, just like Ida showed me."

He pauses, then says "I ain't leaving this thing going, if I have any say about it. You go through, you're on your own."
Oct 3, 2015 6:32 pm
Relieved, I quickly offer Louis a clear path to the portal. "Be my guest Mr. Garderose. I don't want to know of anything on that side. If you have another way outta here, I'm all ears."
Oct 3, 2015 6:33 pm
"Louis, you called on us to help you, and help you we have. But our work is clearly not done, and the threats ain't just to ourselves. We have to bring justice down hard on anything that may want to step through this portal with hate in their hearts." He takes a deep breath and continues, "Louis, I think it's best that you take care of business from this side. I have confidence in you in a fight, but you know as well as I that your health ain't what it was. And three of us can lay down the hurt well enough together. So, while I can't speak for my comrades, I'm just gonna say that I'm willing to step through this strange device, and have you stay here to close it behind me."
Oct 5, 2015 4:22 pm
Louis nods at AJ's words, then his eyebrows furrow at Eli's words but he nods as well. Diego stares at nothing, perhaps trying to take it all in and rethink his earlier enthusiasm.

He sits in a chair and wipes his brow. "Well, let's talk about this a bit. There are many places like this place. We call it the Rio Grande, cuz we gotta call it something. The other places are nothing like this one, though. You go through that portal, and you're going to find something like a modern world, a hunnerd fifty years in the future, except where monsters of nightmare walk the streets and prey upon everything. We call that one The Gloaming. But, if I close that gate, there is no getting from there to here, leastwise not directly."

He pauses and takes a sip of water from his canteen. The canteen shakes slightly and some dribbles down his chin but he doesn't seem to notice. "Now, you don't need a gate like this to travel between these places. Back in Rio Grande City, I took Clancy and that she-wolf to a place called Ardeyn. That one's like a land where knights of old fight dragons, and people haven't figured out gunpowder or trains and instead magicians cast spells. I just concentrated and we just kinda faded out of the room at the Blue Bell and showed up in a place called Tombstone Station, and from there I went to where I last was in Ardeyn."

He sips his water again. "I can teach you to do that, but there's no way to travel straightwise between The Gloaming and the Rio Grande. You could go somewhere else, and then maybe jump between worlds to get back here somehows. But you can get to it through Tombstone Station. So if you plan on going through that thing, let me take you to Tombstone Station first, then we can come back here and you can go through that thing."

"Now, lastly, that gate is special. When you travel like I can show ya, you show up kinda like how you'd supposed to be in that world. You're still you, just a little different. You come here, you're going to just know the train schedule and about the Alamo, and how guns work. But you go to Ardeyn, fer example, you're guns are gonna become arrows or spears or swords, and you're going to know how to use 'em, maybe more. We call that Translatin'. This gate, however, don't translate nuthin'. That's why it's dangerous. Them monsters come through and they don't turn inta Mexicans and cowpokes, they stay monsters, and that's trouble."

"So, let's here from all of ya."
Oct 5, 2015 4:37 pm
I eyed Eli like he has two heads. "Jumping into that thing to wherever those creatures are from is suicide! Listen to Mr. Garerose. If you're so keen to leave this place, let's try it his way. That I'm willin' to try."
Oct 5, 2015 5:00 pm
Eli suppresses his power as a sharp-eyed vector with two heads, taking in the full ramifications of what Louis is saying. He says to both AJ and Louis, "Well, some killin' has gotta be done, don't matter where it starts. Too many bad things out there need to be put down. But given that we're all new to these doings and transpirings, maybe it's best to take the path of least resistance first. And that would be to go back to the Blue Bell in Rio Grande, and have our turn at dragons and the like."
Oct 5, 2015 10:14 pm
"What makes any of you Gringos think fighting dragons is going to be any easier than what we been fighting? Sounds like of we go through this door aquí we would know how to fight with what we got - and we start killing now!"

Diego shoves his hands under his poncho and stands quietly for a second before adding, "But.... I'll go back to the Blue Bell if that's what you Gringos want."
Oct 5, 2015 11:41 pm
"Nah, we don't need to go back to the Blue Bell. We can do it here. Just sit here and relax. Imma gonna focus on Tombstone Station and..."

Fifteen minutes later, you're in a metal room. Once the four of you got in sync, your mind just drifted and you could see the metal room in your mind's eye. And then you're there. There is a locked door and one wall is all glass and looks down on a dying star. A jet of stellar plasma is being drawn off the star before circling and then flowing into a much smaller blue star. Somehow, you know that the binary star system is in the final stages of decay before the larger star will detonate in a super nova.

Louis discusses the procedure with you for some time before leading the Translation back to Rio Grande. When you've completed the second Translation, you're back in the cellar of the Alamo.
You're all now fully trained in translating, as described in the rulebook. You can translate to Tombstone Station from recursions that connects to it that you've been to. Right now that's just the Rio Grande.

Take 2xp each. Xp is discovery based in The Strange, and you've learned about Translating as well as Tombstone Station.
Oct 8, 2015 10:55 am
"Let's stop our standin' around and do something with ourselves. Let's go to Tombstone Station, and go from there."
Oct 8, 2015 9:49 pm
Diego looks a little disappointed as he really wanted to try the portal that the strange food came from but agrees with Eli that Tombstone Station is probably a good place to start. "Sí, let's be on your way!"
Oct 15, 2015 5:56 am
"Now that we know how to, uh, Translate, where are we off to?"
Oct 19, 2015 4:22 am
The three of you concentrate on Tombstone Station. It is a long process.

Meanwhile, Louis begins dismantling the portal. The device appears to be the engraved base and once the pieces have been carefully separated (that is, by gun shot) the portal itself vanishes. Louis carefully packs the three sections separately in a satchel and bids you farewell. He reminds you that if you ever need guidance, look up Ida Jericho in just outside the town of Tombstone in this recursion. He then thanks you and leaves by the stairs. Halfway up, he hollers "I'm going to take your horses. I'll take care of them."

After ten minutes of meditation, the Alamo vanishes and you're back on Tombstone Station.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.