5th Section Barracks

Dec 4, 2017 3:11 pm
Seacliff leads you into the headquarters, in the front there are some offices where people are working on the mundane tasks of the Home Guard. She takes you through these offices and upstairs into a long, wide hallway with doorless openings on either side going all the way to the back.

She takes you to the fifth door and motions for you all to enter. Inside is a fairly large room, quite long with a row of beds on either side. The beds are simple with a locker at the foot. On the far wall are two doors and between the doors is a painting of a black dragon.

"Pick a bed," she says. "Doesn't matter which, in the morning you need to make sure the bed looks exactly the same as it does now. We don't work like the army, but the barracks must be spotless. Put your gear in the lockers, washrooms are in the back. Then I'll take you down to the quartermaster and we'll get uniforms."
Dec 4, 2017 3:27 pm
Chastity looks to Devochka, then across the others. Walking along the row, he looks with the eye of someone going through a full inspection. Hmm, this one looks comfortable. Ah, but this one has proper lighting for giving thanks to Gond. Though this one here likely has better airflow. Hmm. I think this bed will be mine! he says, somewhat seriously. He pulls open the door and drops his backpack into the locker. He keeps his walking stick, pistol, and trinket.

He stretches his arms up, moving side to side. Feels good to deload a bit, yes? Hopefully there isn't a need to carry packs everywhere we go.
Dec 4, 2017 4:22 pm
Leothorn studies the bed with all of his attention. After Seacliff leaves the room, he listens to Chastity speak.

This one is very in tune with their environment. Places matter to them. Spaces matter to them. They notice the little things. And a fellow worshipper of Gond? Fantastic!

He introduces himself to the group. "Leothorn of the Unbroken Spine and in the Service of Gond, at your service! Finder of lost knowledge and finder of new friendships if this day be good!"

Leothorn pipes up. "A bed seems like an arbitrary thing to be so concerned about. But, if anyone gets in a pinch in the mornings..."

Leothorn wrinkles his bed and then wrinkles his little nose, and overlays a perfect illusion of a well-made bed on top of the messy one.

"... Ta da! A little trick should do the trick." And with that, he winks a mischievous wink.

"It is a pleasure to be rooming with you all." Leothorn says cheerfully. "These beds will all fit me with room to spare, so I will happily choose last. Oh sorry, I'll just put this one back together." He dispels the illusion and meticulously sets the bed back in place.

He flings open the two doors that flank the black dragon and opens any windows that might be in the room for additional fresh air.

He then begins a thorough examination of the premises, looking under every bed, examining the painting (front and back), and eventually whatever footlocker and bed is left to him.
Last edited December 4, 2017 4:23 pm

Rolls

Searching the room, perception + guidance - (1d20+2, 1d4)

1d20+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

1d4 : (1) = 1

Dec 4, 2017 4:45 pm
The black dragon is painted directly onto the stone wall. The room is very spare, very clean, and lacks any advanced amenities you might find elsewhere in the city of Sambar. The washrooms at the back are two identical rooms, each containing half a dozen toilet stalls, sinks and the same number of shower stalls.
OOC:
Due to the advanced plumbing found in the city, the washroom facilities here are on par with what you might find in most modern homes.
Truth be told there's nothing to find. Leothorn probably gives up before even finishing.
Dec 4, 2017 4:56 pm
I go to the very back of the room, the farthest bed from the entrance. I take note of the bed and unravel my bedroll on top of it. There, this way I won't mess up the bed. I look around the room, taking particular notice of the equipment of my fellow roommates.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Dec 4, 2017 5:09 pm
Currently we have Ryvelli, Leothorn, Orlias, Chastity, Devochka and Kade in the barracks. I imagine Orlias is able to see any equipment that no one is trying to keep secret. There are a dozen beds in the room, six on either side, so no one can be too too far from anyone else.

We do have one character, Chastity, carrying a piece of gear that would definitely draw attention. The pistol that Chastity is carrying is not just any shop-bought pistol it is stamped with the seal of Lantan, which means it was bestowed to an ancestor who performed meritorious service during the aftermath of the catastrophic transit to Abeir. Lantan law dictates that that nothing can seperate this weapon from it's owner. It can only be transfered to a new owner by bequest. There are only a few thousand of these and they are of the highest craftsmanship and confer great honour in society. Each one is recorded and registered in the records of Lantan history. If one of these weapons is damaged beyond repair they are intered with full military honours.
Dec 4, 2017 5:30 pm
After Chastity's decisive decision, Ryvelli wastes no time in opening the locker to the right of Chastity's chosen spot and throwing his backpack in.
Dec 4, 2017 7:27 pm
After Leothorn has shown the illusion Devochka smiles and walks up to him. I think I might like you little man, Leothorn you said? My name is Devochka and I would love to have you sleep over there. She points to the bed besides the one she sits down upon, across from her brother's bed.

She takes off her backpack and after rubbing her shoulders she leaps of the bed and walks over to the door on the left of the painting, points a finger at it and with a small movement and a soft whisper creates a D to appear on it. She turns and looks at the others in the room.
Dream about me all you want, but don't any of you dare to use this bathroom, it's for "dames" only, or at this point Devochka only. Do I see, hear or in any other way notice you inside I'll shoot fire and ice in your face. With a smile she walks back to her bed to put her bag in her locker, before kicking it closed and leaning against it.
Dec 4, 2017 7:51 pm
Seeing that everyone is situated Seacliff returns and instructs everyone to follow her to the quartermaster. Down the opposite end of the hall you came up in there's a flight of stairs going down to a depot where all of the Home Guard's equipment is stored. The quarter master and a dozen subordinate soldiers are waiting for you.

The Home Guard is not as bespoke as the rest of Lantan, nor quite as industrialised as we might be used to so each of you is measured and then uniform pieces are assembled on the spot to fit you. Everyone gets one uniform: olive trousers, olive shirt with maroon sleeves and shoulders and a spare. Boots and underclothes as necessary. Everyone gets a patch on their shoulder that features a '5' and a black dragon, on their sleeve everyone gets one chevron, except Ryvelli who gets two. You all get a maroon beret with a patch of the coat of arms of the Home Guard.

Those in no armour get a leather jerkin (coat, no AC bonus) with the same markings. Those in leather armour get traded for a suit of the same in the appropriate colours with the appropriate markings. Those in metal armour get a surcoat with the appropriate markings and colours.

All this take about an hour. During which Seacliff explains that once you are in uniform you are soldiers of the Home Guard. The Home Guard is not the army and therefore different standards of discipline apply. Furthermore the 5th section is a reconnaissance section. Your purpose will be to be air dropped into unfamiliar territory, usually at night, and perform reconnaissance or surveillance as required. Sergeant Seacliff is you Sergeant that means everything she says goes, you have a problem with that you can talk to her afterwards. Same goes for Master Corporal Warryn, anything he says or does is with the same authority as Seacliff. Both Seacliff and Warryn are non-commissioned officers, so do not 'Ma'am' or 'Sir' them, do not salute them.

Because they are a reconnaissance section discipline might seem relaxed but that is only because while in the field you are to act as though you are in enemy territory at all times. The goal of the Home Guard is to defend Lantan from all threats, so wherever they go in Lantan they must be prepared for danger. In a world of magic and (Lantan) technology your enemy can appear anywhere, at any time, and you must be prepared for it.

You were all sorted into the 5th section because you have unique skills and abilities. These will be tested in your first mission, which will occur tomorrow, details to follow. As such you are expected to be prepared to perform at your best.

"At this time does anyone have any questions or any material they require in order to be prepared to meet their expectations tomorrow?" asks Seacliff in a sunny tone.
Dec 4, 2017 8:48 pm
Sergeant, if it is not too terribly much of a problem, my particular skill sets are best utilized when accented with certain poisons. I say, holding my new armor.
Dec 4, 2017 9:03 pm
Upon arriving at the barracks, Arashi bowed to the room before entering, then surveyed the motley group lounging within. When he spotted the Legacy Pistol worn by the tiefling he inclined his head in recognition of the weapon. There was no time for introductions however, before it was time to see the quartermaster to be fitted for uniforms. Over the course of the hour Arashi learned everyone's names and had the opportunity to introduce himself.

Now as Seacliff invites questions and requests, Arashi listens intently to what the others have to say. He is gauging them one by one, particularly the tiefling called Chastity, and the quiet one named Ryvelli.
Dec 4, 2017 10:00 pm
Seacliff eyes Orlias carefully for a moment and then shoots a glance to the quartermaster, who shrugs. "We'll see what we can do Private Orlias."
Dec 4, 2017 10:22 pm
If we can, I do have a list. Much obliged, sergeant.
Dec 4, 2017 10:59 pm
Kade enters with Arashi, picking a bed near him clearly finding comfort in a familiar face. He takes special care with his backpack, not opening it but putting it into the foot locker. Are their locks we can get for our lockers?
Dec 4, 2017 11:10 pm
Ryvelli leaves Chastity's side and quietly makes his way over to Seacliff "Excuse me, ma..." He begins, in but a whisper, before remembering the rules "Forgive me, Seregant." Still dressed in his robes, he holds the gifted uniforms "I...I cannot wear these." He stammers out, obviously hesitant of going against a higher authority.

HypCo sent a note to mardav
Dec 5, 2017 7:23 am
Leothorn gladly takes Devochka up on her offer and plunks down beside her.

Fire and ice! She's such a hoot! Very different from her brother. What's their story!?

He follows the others for their uniform fitting. To speed up the process, he gladly shares Gond's insight with his fitters, providing them with divine guidance and magical mending. The new uniform fits well enough, although he is considering make his own alterations in the future.

Upon hearing Seacliff ask about questions and requests, he responds:

"Can you tell us more about what we are doing and where we are going? I have to pray to Gond tonight to prepare my spells, but the usefulness of my choices are directly proportional to the amount of information you provide me ahead of time."
Dec 5, 2017 8:15 am
Arashi eyes the bunks Kade selected for the two of them. "You forget that I do not sleep, and take my rest standing up. But this will serve, thank you." The Gondborn places his belongings in the foot locker, lays his jingasa and weapons neatly on the bed, then disrobes* to change into his new uniform. When he sheds his simple clothes, it becomes apparent to anyone looking why Arashi declined the holster belt being offered him at the quartermaster's: his weapons need no sheaths - his pistols clamp into special grooves built into his metallic abdomen, and his sword slides home into a slot in the base of his neck! This Gondborn was built for battle.
OOC:
*Gondborn have no privates to keep private! :-D
Last edited December 7, 2017 2:53 am
Dec 5, 2017 12:24 pm
Chastity grimaces slightly at having to lose his own comfortable clothing for the colorful set provided, however, when he's presented with the set of leather armor his face breaks open into a smile.

Wonderful! My set was getting a little crispy in parts! he says with a grin.

Just remember who you work for. came a soft voice into his mind. Rolling his eyes, he squeezes his hand over the breezy glass trinket on his necklace.

Later, when they've returned to barracks, Chastity sits on his bunk and listens as Leothorn asks about his spells.

You have to pray for your magic? How interesting. he says sincerely, leaning forward, elbows on his knees.
Dec 5, 2017 3:46 pm
The quartermaster provides you all with combination locks.

Seacliff looks at Ryvelli, looks at the uniform and takes him aside away from the others in the depot.

@Leothorn. Once the measurements are done the assisting soldiers zip the uniforms together with huge sewing machines. It goes quite quickly, but they gladly accept Leothorn's asistance.

Seacliff responds to Leothorn by saying: "We'll go over the details of our assignement once we return to our barracks," she says happily.
OOC:
We'll be done here soon
Dec 5, 2017 4:18 pm
Leothorn is absolutely satisfied to watch the sewing machines work in perfect unison.

"Why can't we make machines like this that makes our beds?" He asks to nobody in particular, and starts sketching some ideas for such a machine.
[ +- ] Bed Making Machine
Back in barracks, Leothorn starts working on his bed making machine. He is elated that somebody wants to talk to him. About magic no less!

"Honestly, it can be difficult sometimes. No matter how many books I read on religion or magic, I will never remember the spells unless Gond grants them to me. Even though I have performed these minor miracles a hundred times, like purifying tainted water, I can't for the life of me remember how to do it right now. If I think of my spells as library books I have to sign out to use, it eases my unease."

"There are some minor spells that I never forget, and I love those ones. We forest gnomes can all make illusions, but I can also call upon Gond's genius to help me solve problems, magically mend broken things, and do trunk full of fun tricks like make my voice REALLY LOUD haha!."

Then his tone gets a little more serious.

"But wierdly, from Gond's spell library I always know these 2 spells no matter what. One spell lets me analyze magical people or magical things and see their enchantments. I love that one. But then there's this weird one that lets me say a word and then I can compel a person to obey my word! It seems very un-Gond like to me. I've never used it. It's definitely a mystery!"

Leothorn realizes he's been talking for a long time and pivots on a dime.

"Oh dear, I've gone on too long. Say, you are a purveyor of spells and sorcery too! What kind of magic do YOU have, Chastity? And your sister, where does she get her Face Fire and Face Ice spells?"
Last edited December 5, 2017 4:21 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.