5th Section Barracks

Dec 4, 2017 3:11 pm
Seacliff leads you into the headquarters, in the front there are some offices where people are working on the mundane tasks of the Home Guard. She takes you through these offices and upstairs into a long, wide hallway with doorless openings on either side going all the way to the back.

She takes you to the fifth door and motions for you all to enter. Inside is a fairly large room, quite long with a row of beds on either side. The beds are simple with a locker at the foot. On the far wall are two doors and between the doors is a painting of a black dragon.

"Pick a bed," she says. "Doesn't matter which, in the morning you need to make sure the bed looks exactly the same as it does now. We don't work like the army, but the barracks must be spotless. Put your gear in the lockers, washrooms are in the back. Then I'll take you down to the quartermaster and we'll get uniforms."
Dec 4, 2017 3:27 pm
Chastity looks to Devochka, then across the others. Walking along the row, he looks with the eye of someone going through a full inspection. Hmm, this one looks comfortable. Ah, but this one has proper lighting for giving thanks to Gond. Though this one here likely has better airflow. Hmm. I think this bed will be mine! he says, somewhat seriously. He pulls open the door and drops his backpack into the locker. He keeps his walking stick, pistol, and trinket.

He stretches his arms up, moving side to side. Feels good to deload a bit, yes? Hopefully there isn't a need to carry packs everywhere we go.
Dec 4, 2017 4:22 pm
Leothorn studies the bed with all of his attention. After Seacliff leaves the room, he listens to Chastity speak.

This one is very in tune with their environment. Places matter to them. Spaces matter to them. They notice the little things. And a fellow worshipper of Gond? Fantastic!

He introduces himself to the group. "Leothorn of the Unbroken Spine and in the Service of Gond, at your service! Finder of lost knowledge and finder of new friendships if this day be good!"

Leothorn pipes up. "A bed seems like an arbitrary thing to be so concerned about. But, if anyone gets in a pinch in the mornings..."

Leothorn wrinkles his bed and then wrinkles his little nose, and overlays a perfect illusion of a well-made bed on top of the messy one.

"... Ta da! A little trick should do the trick." And with that, he winks a mischievous wink.

"It is a pleasure to be rooming with you all." Leothorn says cheerfully. "These beds will all fit me with room to spare, so I will happily choose last. Oh sorry, I'll just put this one back together." He dispels the illusion and meticulously sets the bed back in place.

He flings open the two doors that flank the black dragon and opens any windows that might be in the room for additional fresh air.

He then begins a thorough examination of the premises, looking under every bed, examining the painting (front and back), and eventually whatever footlocker and bed is left to him.
Last edited December 4, 2017 4:23 pm

Rolls

Searching the room, perception + guidance - (1d20+2, 1d4)

1d20+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

1d4 : (1) = 1

Dec 4, 2017 4:45 pm
The black dragon is painted directly onto the stone wall. The room is very spare, very clean, and lacks any advanced amenities you might find elsewhere in the city of Sambar. The washrooms at the back are two identical rooms, each containing half a dozen toilet stalls, sinks and the same number of shower stalls.
OOC:
Due to the advanced plumbing found in the city, the washroom facilities here are on par with what you might find in most modern homes.
Truth be told there's nothing to find. Leothorn probably gives up before even finishing.
Dec 4, 2017 4:56 pm
I go to the very back of the room, the farthest bed from the entrance. I take note of the bed and unravel my bedroll on top of it. There, this way I won't mess up the bed. I look around the room, taking particular notice of the equipment of my fellow roommates.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Dec 4, 2017 5:09 pm
Currently we have Ryvelli, Leothorn, Orlias, Chastity, Devochka and Kade in the barracks. I imagine Orlias is able to see any equipment that no one is trying to keep secret. There are a dozen beds in the room, six on either side, so no one can be too too far from anyone else.

We do have one character, Chastity, carrying a piece of gear that would definitely draw attention. The pistol that Chastity is carrying is not just any shop-bought pistol it is stamped with the seal of Lantan, which means it was bestowed to an ancestor who performed meritorious service during the aftermath of the catastrophic transit to Abeir. Lantan law dictates that that nothing can seperate this weapon from it's owner. It can only be transfered to a new owner by bequest. There are only a few thousand of these and they are of the highest craftsmanship and confer great honour in society. Each one is recorded and registered in the records of Lantan history. If one of these weapons is damaged beyond repair they are intered with full military honours.
Dec 4, 2017 5:30 pm
After Chastity's decisive decision, Ryvelli wastes no time in opening the locker to the right of Chastity's chosen spot and throwing his backpack in.
Dec 4, 2017 7:27 pm
After Leothorn has shown the illusion Devochka smiles and walks up to him. I think I might like you little man, Leothorn you said? My name is Devochka and I would love to have you sleep over there. She points to the bed besides the one she sits down upon, across from her brother's bed.

She takes off her backpack and after rubbing her shoulders she leaps of the bed and walks over to the door on the left of the painting, points a finger at it and with a small movement and a soft whisper creates a D to appear on it. She turns and looks at the others in the room.
Dream about me all you want, but don't any of you dare to use this bathroom, it's for "dames" only, or at this point Devochka only. Do I see, hear or in any other way notice you inside I'll shoot fire and ice in your face. With a smile she walks back to her bed to put her bag in her locker, before kicking it closed and leaning against it.
Dec 4, 2017 7:51 pm
Seeing that everyone is situated Seacliff returns and instructs everyone to follow her to the quartermaster. Down the opposite end of the hall you came up in there's a flight of stairs going down to a depot where all of the Home Guard's equipment is stored. The quarter master and a dozen subordinate soldiers are waiting for you.

The Home Guard is not as bespoke as the rest of Lantan, nor quite as industrialised as we might be used to so each of you is measured and then uniform pieces are assembled on the spot to fit you. Everyone gets one uniform: olive trousers, olive shirt with maroon sleeves and shoulders and a spare. Boots and underclothes as necessary. Everyone gets a patch on their shoulder that features a '5' and a black dragon, on their sleeve everyone gets one chevron, except Ryvelli who gets two. You all get a maroon beret with a patch of the coat of arms of the Home Guard.

Those in no armour get a leather jerkin (coat, no AC bonus) with the same markings. Those in leather armour get traded for a suit of the same in the appropriate colours with the appropriate markings. Those in metal armour get a surcoat with the appropriate markings and colours.

All this take about an hour. During which Seacliff explains that once you are in uniform you are soldiers of the Home Guard. The Home Guard is not the army and therefore different standards of discipline apply. Furthermore the 5th section is a reconnaissance section. Your purpose will be to be air dropped into unfamiliar territory, usually at night, and perform reconnaissance or surveillance as required. Sergeant Seacliff is you Sergeant that means everything she says goes, you have a problem with that you can talk to her afterwards. Same goes for Master Corporal Warryn, anything he says or does is with the same authority as Seacliff. Both Seacliff and Warryn are non-commissioned officers, so do not 'Ma'am' or 'Sir' them, do not salute them.

Because they are a reconnaissance section discipline might seem relaxed but that is only because while in the field you are to act as though you are in enemy territory at all times. The goal of the Home Guard is to defend Lantan from all threats, so wherever they go in Lantan they must be prepared for danger. In a world of magic and (Lantan) technology your enemy can appear anywhere, at any time, and you must be prepared for it.

You were all sorted into the 5th section because you have unique skills and abilities. These will be tested in your first mission, which will occur tomorrow, details to follow. As such you are expected to be prepared to perform at your best.

"At this time does anyone have any questions or any material they require in order to be prepared to meet their expectations tomorrow?" asks Seacliff in a sunny tone.
Dec 4, 2017 8:48 pm
Sergeant, if it is not too terribly much of a problem, my particular skill sets are best utilized when accented with certain poisons. I say, holding my new armor.
Dec 4, 2017 9:03 pm
Upon arriving at the barracks, Arashi bowed to the room before entering, then surveyed the motley group lounging within. When he spotted the Legacy Pistol worn by the tiefling he inclined his head in recognition of the weapon. There was no time for introductions however, before it was time to see the quartermaster to be fitted for uniforms. Over the course of the hour Arashi learned everyone's names and had the opportunity to introduce himself.

Now as Seacliff invites questions and requests, Arashi listens intently to what the others have to say. He is gauging them one by one, particularly the tiefling called Chastity, and the quiet one named Ryvelli.
Dec 4, 2017 10:00 pm
Seacliff eyes Orlias carefully for a moment and then shoots a glance to the quartermaster, who shrugs. "We'll see what we can do Private Orlias."
Dec 4, 2017 10:22 pm
If we can, I do have a list. Much obliged, sergeant.
Dec 4, 2017 10:59 pm
Kade enters with Arashi, picking a bed near him clearly finding comfort in a familiar face. He takes special care with his backpack, not opening it but putting it into the foot locker. Are their locks we can get for our lockers?
Dec 4, 2017 11:10 pm
Ryvelli leaves Chastity's side and quietly makes his way over to Seacliff "Excuse me, ma..." He begins, in but a whisper, before remembering the rules "Forgive me, Seregant." Still dressed in his robes, he holds the gifted uniforms "I...I cannot wear these." He stammers out, obviously hesitant of going against a higher authority.

HypCo sent a note to mardav
Dec 5, 2017 7:23 am
Leothorn gladly takes Devochka up on her offer and plunks down beside her.

Fire and ice! She's such a hoot! Very different from her brother. What's their story!?

He follows the others for their uniform fitting. To speed up the process, he gladly shares Gond's insight with his fitters, providing them with divine guidance and magical mending. The new uniform fits well enough, although he is considering make his own alterations in the future.

Upon hearing Seacliff ask about questions and requests, he responds:

"Can you tell us more about what we are doing and where we are going? I have to pray to Gond tonight to prepare my spells, but the usefulness of my choices are directly proportional to the amount of information you provide me ahead of time."
Dec 5, 2017 8:15 am
Arashi eyes the bunks Kade selected for the two of them. "You forget that I do not sleep, and take my rest standing up. But this will serve, thank you." The Gondborn places his belongings in the foot locker, lays his jingasa and weapons neatly on the bed, then disrobes* to change into his new uniform. When he sheds his simple clothes, it becomes apparent to anyone looking why Arashi declined the holster belt being offered him at the quartermaster's: his weapons need no sheaths - his pistols clamp into special grooves built into his metallic abdomen, and his sword slides home into a slot in the base of his neck! This Gondborn was built for battle.
OOC:
*Gondborn have no privates to keep private! :-D
Last edited December 7, 2017 2:53 am
Dec 5, 2017 12:24 pm
Chastity grimaces slightly at having to lose his own comfortable clothing for the colorful set provided, however, when he's presented with the set of leather armor his face breaks open into a smile.

Wonderful! My set was getting a little crispy in parts! he says with a grin.

Just remember who you work for. came a soft voice into his mind. Rolling his eyes, he squeezes his hand over the breezy glass trinket on his necklace.

Later, when they've returned to barracks, Chastity sits on his bunk and listens as Leothorn asks about his spells.

You have to pray for your magic? How interesting. he says sincerely, leaning forward, elbows on his knees.
Dec 5, 2017 3:46 pm
The quartermaster provides you all with combination locks.

Seacliff looks at Ryvelli, looks at the uniform and takes him aside away from the others in the depot.

@Leothorn. Once the measurements are done the assisting soldiers zip the uniforms together with huge sewing machines. It goes quite quickly, but they gladly accept Leothorn's asistance.

Seacliff responds to Leothorn by saying: "We'll go over the details of our assignement once we return to our barracks," she says happily.
OOC:
We'll be done here soon
Dec 5, 2017 4:18 pm
Leothorn is absolutely satisfied to watch the sewing machines work in perfect unison.

"Why can't we make machines like this that makes our beds?" He asks to nobody in particular, and starts sketching some ideas for such a machine.
[ +- ] Bed Making Machine
Back in barracks, Leothorn starts working on his bed making machine. He is elated that somebody wants to talk to him. About magic no less!

"Honestly, it can be difficult sometimes. No matter how many books I read on religion or magic, I will never remember the spells unless Gond grants them to me. Even though I have performed these minor miracles a hundred times, like purifying tainted water, I can't for the life of me remember how to do it right now. If I think of my spells as library books I have to sign out to use, it eases my unease."

"There are some minor spells that I never forget, and I love those ones. We forest gnomes can all make illusions, but I can also call upon Gond's genius to help me solve problems, magically mend broken things, and do trunk full of fun tricks like make my voice REALLY LOUD haha!."

Then his tone gets a little more serious.

"But wierdly, from Gond's spell library I always know these 2 spells no matter what. One spell lets me analyze magical people or magical things and see their enchantments. I love that one. But then there's this weird one that lets me say a word and then I can compel a person to obey my word! It seems very un-Gond like to me. I've never used it. It's definitely a mystery!"

Leothorn realizes he's been talking for a long time and pivots on a dime.

"Oh dear, I've gone on too long. Say, you are a purveyor of spells and sorcery too! What kind of magic do YOU have, Chastity? And your sister, where does she get her Face Fire and Face Ice spells?"
Last edited December 5, 2017 4:21 pm
Dec 5, 2017 6:33 pm
Chastity listens intently, smiling at the image of Leothorn walking up to a god-sized library desk, checking out magical tomes. You could certainly say that I'm a purveyor of sorcery as well. I don't precisely know where it came from. My sister showed a definite affinity for magic early on. I was incredibly jealous. Up to that point, we'd both pretty much been given equal treatment. I prayed to anyone and anything. Then one day, a man approached me and took me into this fabulous forest. He showed me ways to bend magic to my will, but they are always there in my head. Like this... he says, letting his voice slip off into a quick incantation.

Moments later, in his upturned palm, a wavering image of the Feywild appears, with mists swirling through everything.

More than that isn't really safe to show in a place I'd like to stay whole. Obviously you can see that we're devilborn. he says, gesturing to the curling horns on his head. It brings its own magical power, mainly just the ability to make people notice you. Though, with Gond blessing you, I'm very intrigued to see just what fantastical things you can manage!

Casting prestidigitation.
Last edited December 5, 2017 6:44 pm
Dec 5, 2017 6:40 pm
During the fitting session Devochka seems generally happy with the outfit she's provided with, complimenting in the design. Only when presented with the undergarments she seems less pleased, snorting before handing them back. I'm not wearing that... The rest of the hour she divides her attention between listening to the sergeant Seacliff and flirting with the soldiers.

Back upstairs she dives into her washroom and minutes later appears wearing her uniform, baret more to the left side of her head. She flops down on the bed next to Chastity and listens to Leothorn talk and ask questions, smiling at the mention of her spells.

My magic sort of just comes to me, I don't have to study for it from a book either. However I can't change my spells, I know what I know every day... I can shoot fire and ice, give you a shock if I touch you, do a bunch of minor fun stuff like you, like the D on the door, make something clean or dirty, warm or cold, and change my eyes and voice too. My magic isn't always exactly the way I intended​ it, there's this wild power inside me wanting to burst out, sometimes accidents happen...

She wrinkles her nose and looks at her brother. That's why you call me Zabiyaka...

Things get more chaotic in my head when I'm letting my emotions rule my actions, I can really feel the magic pulse within, growing until it breaks free unexpectedly.
Dec 5, 2017 11:27 pm
"Chastity, that is beautiful! How interesting that you cast your spell with a voice other than your own. I guess that's kinda like me too ... they are Gond's spells really, not mine. I just borrow it. Yet, we both get to choose when to cast it, and that is the important thing!"

"Devochka, you can CLEAN with magic?! And change the color of things? Will you teach me? It sounds not unlike my Gnomish illusions but you imprint it into the very fabric of REALITY! I'm so sorry about the accidents that sometimes occur. That doesn't seem fair at all."

"Hey, do you guys want to help me build my machine? It makes the bed! I'm going to go scrounge up some parts!"

Leothorn leaves to search up some pulleys and such, possibly from the uniform stitching place (they must have spare parts!). He goes dressed in his uniform. He won't explicitly steal anything that is clearly off limits, but if he finds some unattended equipment it won't occur to him to ask for permission either.
OOC:
This bed-making machine is a bit of a lark for me as a player, mardav. I'm going to roll some dice to see what happens, but feel free to just dictate if you think its impossible or whatnot. I'm not looking to set a precedent for building contraptions not supported by the rules.

Perception = 14
Investigation = 24
Last edited December 5, 2017 11:30 pm

Rolls

Perception to search for parts to build a bed-making machine w/ Guidance - (1d20+2, 1d4)

1d20+2 : (8) + 2 = 10

1d4 : (4) = 4

Investigation for building said machine w/ Guidance - (1d20+2, 1d4)

1d20+2 : (19) + 2 = 21

1d4 : (3) = 3

Dec 6, 2017 2:27 am
During the fitting mostly stayed to himself ensuring that he could keep eyes on Arashi. More just because he still couldn't believe it, and thought that perhaps if he turned away that the only other surviving member of his previous crew would vanish. Kade tried on his clothes without fuss and actually quite enjoyed the look of himself.

Upon returning to the barracks Kade continued keeping quiet, listening and enjoying the conversation of the people around him. An interesting bunch. A lot of magic in this one room. He started counting, were there 3 or 4 and himself that all could preform magic? Deciding it really didn't matter in the long run, Kade decides to put on his new uniform for good before turning to Arashi.

A proper bicorner Captains hat and I'd finally look the part, eh? He says with a smile hiding a frown.
Dec 6, 2017 4:03 am
I walk over to Chastity and point to the lock on the locker. Mind if I practice? I whip out my lockpick set.
Dec 6, 2017 12:25 pm
Devochka grins at Leothorn, but shakes her head. The colour thing isn't a lasting effect, unfortunately, but look at this! She jumps off the bed and darts towards him, turning and pointing her finger at Chastity, whispering the incantation. A split second later Chastity's uniform is covered in soil.

She looks down at Leothorn, her silver eyes burning happily. Now let's go find parts for your invention. Anything that can make mornings easier is a good thing in my book! Don't know how much help I can be though, but I'll try! She walks with Leothorn, looking around, but not having a clue what to look for.
Dec 6, 2017 2:05 pm
Chastity turns his head as Orlias gestures to his locker. He mutters a few words under his breath and his eyes mist over to pure black orbs.

Yes, I mind very much. If you want to practice such things, do it on your own property. he says, his voice suddenly much colder than it had been as his face darkens.

Suddenly, however, his nose wrinkles, ruining the image as he looks down to see his newly donned uniform covered in muck.

Gond damn you Zabiyaka! a flick of his hand and the dirt disappears. Keep your magic on your own uniform, if you please!
Dec 6, 2017 2:40 pm
I can't practice on my own property, I know the combination, silly. I wink and the walk away. I return to my bunk and scribble a note. I walk over to Zabiyaka and extend my hand. Orlias Lightfoote. I don't think we've been introduced yet.
Bigdogg1990 sent a note to ae_dd
Dec 6, 2017 7:13 pm
Right before exiting the room Devochka is aproached by Orlias. She feels the note in her hand and confused she opens it. While reading it her tail starts to move, twisting and curling around her legs. Deep from within her core magic starts pulsing through her body. Before answering the little man she whispers and her eyes turn white-orange, like glowing coals. She steps up to Orlias, bending her head as she towers over him.
Who do you think you are little man? Bragging about your ability to steal while you just joined the Home Guard? Do you think that impresses me?! If anything from anyone in this room goes missing I'm going to have some fun with you until it returns.
She breathes out slowly​, shoulders relaxing, chin lifting up high and eyes returning to normal. She folds the note and puts it in her bra before continuing out the room like nothing happened.
Dec 6, 2017 7:24 pm
Hmph, no one around here is any fun. I shrug and return to my bunk. Once there, I begin sharpening my daggers.
Dec 6, 2017 9:11 pm
@Leothorn. Sambar is the type of place where gears and tinkering tools can be found almost everywhere. I imagine Leothorn can arrange those materials from the quartermaster. He assembles the contraption like a practiced rigger and when he's done he has a contraption that can definitely make a bed in almost as much time and almost as well as it can be done by hand.

After a while Sergeant Seacliff returns to the barracks with master corporal Warryn. Warryn calls out "Atention!"

Seacliff then says. "Now that you're all in uniform I am your Sergeant and you are my privates," she says with a sunny tone. " I will respect and protect you with my life, and in return I will expect the same from you. Together we are going to protect and defend Lantan from all external threats. If anyone disagrees with that they can leave now. Otherwise I'll outlay our assignement and section designations. How does that sound? "
Dec 6, 2017 9:25 pm
What damnfool nonsense did you get yourself into Chastity? Sure, Opa had great stories. But Opa was an accomplished wizard in his own right. Master Evoker. Hero of Lantan. What are you playing at boy, you're just a warlock with no rights to the magic you sling around. he thinks to himself, looking at the pistol in his hands, his thumb rubbing along the inlaid seal, worn from years of similar motion. The slight crack in the wood from the time he knocked it off the stand in Father's study. The chamber that hadn't seen powder in decades.

He looked across the way at Leothorn and Zabiyaka with their heads together assembling some device to make the beds faster.

I mean, sure, that would work. Just as easy to summon a spectral servant and to have them do it I would imagine. Or just learn to make a bed.

When the call to attention rang out, he leaped to his feet, hastily stowing the pistol in its holster on his hip, spine stiffening.

Sounds good Sergeant! he says, with perhaps a touch too much enthusiasm, worried that he would be seen as a larkabout for laying on his bed while the Sergeant had been away.
Dec 6, 2017 9:43 pm
With the call to attention, I rise slowly and listen intently to the words of the sergeant. Roger that.
Dec 6, 2017 10:19 pm
Leothorn watches Master Corporal Warryn in particular. It would be interesting to talk to him one day and ask him about his experiences as a Gnome in the Home Guard.

"Yes, Sergeant!"
Dec 6, 2017 11:42 pm
Kade slowly rises from his bed, snickering at the word 'private' muttering to himself. "Very wise to protect ones privates."

After a moment of silence, he slowly raises his hand but only to about shoulder height. "What about enemies internal to Lantan?
Or are we exclusively dealing with invasion? I'm fine with either, just asking for clarification."

He wore his uniform smartly, as odd as it was for a sailor type to make a prideful appearance, his uniform didn't hang, every button fastened, he stood tall and straight. His beret cocked to one side, as he saw one of the others do. He did this more out of not being sure how to wear it and thinking that looked good enough. His hair still seeming to float out of the side of it.
Dec 7, 2017 12:11 am
Titan says:
A proper bicorner Captains hat and I'd finally look the part, eh? He says with a smile hiding a frown.
"Indeed." Arashi responds, looking Kade over appraisingly. "Captain or not, I will follow you as I did your father."

Arashi might have said more, or Kade might have responded, but at that moment the Sergeant enters and calls attention. Arashi awaits instructions.
Dec 7, 2017 4:15 pm
While the sergeant speaks Devochka looks at her brother.
This whole thing should be fun, testing the abilities of my magic, hell, just doing something else than standing on the street selling jewelry is reason enough to come with him. But I really don't get why he thinks this will prove he's a man, or whatever this is...

She turns her head and smiles at Sergeant Seacliff when Chastity speaks. Shit! What did I miss? Was she talking about tomorrow? Nice one Dev, just ask Momo later...
Dec 8, 2017 3:38 pm
As everyone is lined up and listening to the Sargent, Leothorn realizes for the first time that there is a Gonborn in the room! His draw drops and he stares obviously.

I ... I don't even know what to say to a living embodiment of Gond's genius!
Dec 8, 2017 5:24 pm
Looking down at Leothorn Devochka stiffles a laugh, bending towards the little man and whispering in his ear.
ae_dd sent a note to lenpelletier
Dec 9, 2017 7:15 am
Leothorn turns a deep shade of red and directs his attention distinctly elsewhere!
Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm
"Private Kade our mandate is to handle any threats that might arise from beyond the shores of Lantan. Beyond that we will act as we are bid by the Ayrorch and beyond that Gond."

"Our mission is as follows. We will be transported by thopter to the inland hills where we will rendez-vous with a tribe of shifters. The shifters have reported something strange and dangerous to the Ayrorch, and we have been dispatched to investogate and handle it. There's some who believe this thing might not be from Lantan, and therefore we must assess where it came form and what we can do about it."

"Private Orlias, you are Information, that means you'll be issued our locfinder and the rangcom, you'll be briefed on their use. I'll talk to you about that."

"Privates Leothorn and Puntah, you are Engineering, that means you'll be liasing with Transpo and then you'll get our field gear prepped and loaded for travel. Master Corporal Warryn will help you with that."

"Privates Ryvelli, Chastity, Devochka, Kade and Arashi, you are all Tactical. For the time being that means your jobs are to be prepared to deliver absolutely the most terror and pain onto Gond's enemies as you can. The opportunity will come too soon and too often. Be ready."

"Furthermore, Master Corporal Warryn will be posting the Section assignements at the back of the room. You'll all be part of a two person fire team. That means you stick with your fire team partner at all times in the field. One of you moves, the other is ready to protect them. We'll cover the basics of the fire team system in the field. Just know that your fire team is your life, without your fire team partner you are dead. If everything goes bad stick with your fire team partner and the Home Guard will always be proud of you," she says with a smile.

She nods towards Master Corporal Warryn, who gives her an inscrutable look. He then slowly licks his thumb and peels a page off his clipboard and walks to the back of the room. He posts the following page on the wall and walks away without saying a word.

"Once you've had a moment to go over your assignements feel free to come and talk to Master Corporal Warryn or I. We have offices just outside your barracks, mine is the right and the Master Corporal's is to the left." She waves goodbye merrily and both she and Warryn leave.
OOC:
Any conversations with Sergeant Seacliff or Master Corporal Warryn will take place in PM, unless we need to open up a full thread for it.
Dec 11, 2017 10:01 pm
I read the list and follow Warryn to his office and knock on the door.
Dec 12, 2017 2:59 am
A gnome in yellow garments, complete with a sombrero and crossed bandoleers of hand tools, slips into the bustling barracks just ahead of Master Corporal Warryn. He trembles visibly when he catches sight of the Gondsman and immediately makes a beeline through the groupings of taller folk, his sunhat knocking askew this way and that as he navigates to the technological wonder. His eyes have a gleam, like one who is awakening into the midst of a peak experience.

"This isn't the droid I was looking for," he murmurs in his little old man voice, "but so awesome..."
Last edited December 12, 2017 3:02 am
Dec 12, 2017 3:10 am
Chastity looks at the list over Orlias's head. Fire team - Charlie. ZABI! We're in Charlie together. Just like raiding the kitchen as kids, yeah? he says when he sees his name marked down next to his sister's. Do we want to talk to Sergeant Seacliff?

Not that I know what exactly we'd need to talk about. Come tomorrow, we're going to thopter into someplace. That's - that's going to be interesting.
Dec 12, 2017 5:28 am
Kade heads over with the rest of the folks going to check out the list of people and their pairings. Wonder who I was paired with. Reads the list.
Dec 12, 2017 6:48 am
"Kade! Looks like we are in a 'fire team' together! Are we going to start a fire or put one out, do you suppose?"
Dec 12, 2017 7:28 am
Arashi reads the list. Private Puntah. Obviously that's the newcomer. The only one he hasn't met yet. He strides over to the white-haired gnome. "Hello. I am Arashi."
Dec 12, 2017 8:14 pm
Devochka grins widely at Chastity. Wicked... But this time our goal will not be mom's perfect cookies.... I have nothing to discuss with her, but if you think it's wise, sure... She shrugs, glad she is put in a fire team with her brother so she can look after him constantly.
Dec 12, 2017 10:59 pm
The tiny gnome's eyes twinkle with delight. He offers his small pink hand, which is calloused and stubby with graying nails.

"Well met, Mr. Arashi! I am Puntah, priest of Gond. I am so pleased we are to be teammates!"
Last edited December 14, 2017 1:06 am
Dec 13, 2017 3:20 am
OOC:
@Leothorn Hollysharp
Kade smiled at Leothorn.Both if we can help it! He extends his hand for a shake.
Dec 13, 2017 7:16 am
Leothorn clasps Kade's big blue hand earnestly!

"I wish we knew more about what we doing tomorrow. I'm going to go knock on Master Corporal Warryn's office. Please join me if you wish to!"

Leothorn scampers to the Master Corporal's office, rapping assertively on the door.

"Yoohoo, Master Corpral Warryn? I'd like to prepare my spells for tomorrow and think I'd be able to contribute more if I had a clue what we were going to get up to. So, can you tell us, please?"
Dec 14, 2017 1:05 am
Puntah isn't exactly sure if Leothorn is inviting him along, since they will be engineers together. However, he decides he'd better follow his kinsman and find out what he can about the work they will be doing.

"Yes," nods the priest excitedly, "and I'd also know what tools to bring..."
Last edited December 14, 2017 1:05 am
Dec 14, 2017 4:56 am
Kades hand seems wet but when you pull yours back it's dry as a bone. Aye, knowing more is always helpful. I will observe I think. Kade follows Leothorn to the office and stands with him, he however, remains silent.
Dec 14, 2017 5:36 am
Arashi watches the others crowding around the Master Corporal's door. What questions could they possibly want to ask that won't be answered tomorrow anyway? All in due time. He hears his fire-team partner say something about tools. Speaking of tools, Arashi had best tend after his. The Gondborn sits seiza on his cot (it groans under his weight) and is soon in a state of deep meditation.
Last edited December 19, 2017 11:32 pm
Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm
OOC:
For our engineers I opened a new thread to cover your meeting with Warryn.
Dec 19, 2017 8:25 pm
That evening you are informed of lights out and encouraged to get your rest.
OOC:
Tomorrow we fly!
Dec 19, 2017 9:51 pm
The hooded figure enters the room, his robe newly adorned with the markings of the Home Guard. He makes his way to the posted list and observes it, sinking further into his cloak--if possible--then returns to his cot and sits quietly.
Dec 19, 2017 11:31 pm
The Gondborn, sitting seiza on his assigned cot, constantly aware of his surroundings even in his inert state, watches the hooded figure.
Dec 20, 2017 12:29 am
Kade a little frustrated with not getting any answers. I guess I'll just have to prepare for everything he thinks to himself.
Upon re-entering the barracks he notices Arashi sitting on his bed and his face instantly goes from stern to relaxed, and he plops himself down at the edge of the bed and lays back taking in the darkness from the room.
Dec 20, 2017 1:24 am
Observing the man, Arashi doesn't find much of interest from his actions; he only sits on his cot with his hood hanging down, most likely staring at his hands. After a moment of watching the man, the hood shifts--simulating head movement--and he props his hand from his lap, resembling a wave directed towards the gondborn.

HypCo sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Dec 20, 2017 2:19 am
Puntah makes his way back to the barracks, having learned very little about his purpose as an engineer with this outfit. However, he is very pleased with the tool kit he has received and can be seen muttering to himself excitedly while he repeatedly opens and closes the transmuting container.

He sits down upon a vacant cot and begins to arrange his belongings, placing his bags just off the right side of the head of his bed. He places his sombrero on the bedpost and hangs up his saffron robes and red sash before sliding under the covers. He pays little attention to those around him, dozing immediately into a deep slumber with bouts of fitful snoring.
Last edited December 20, 2017 3:03 am
Dec 20, 2017 2:45 am
The Gondborn responds to the hooded one's wave with a small nod.
Dec 20, 2017 7:47 am
Leothorn returns holding a technical manual and the case he was given by the Master Corporal. Almost oblivious of his surroundings, ee plunks down on his bed and begins reading it from page one.

"Oh, how rude of me! Puntah, Kade? Would you like to read the document as well?"

He projects an enlarged, illusory copy of the page on the wall for both to see.
Last edited December 20, 2017 7:48 am
Dec 20, 2017 1:40 pm
After putting on her pyjamas in her washroom, Devochka walks over to Chastity, stifling a giggle before whispering in his ear and giggling some more. Trying to be very unsuspicious she points a finger at Orlias's bed and whispers an incantation, chilling his bed as much as possible. After stifling a few more laughs she walks over to her own bed, magically warming it before crawling in, pulling the covers all the way up to her chin.
Goodnight everyone!! Let's have some fun tomorrow!
Dec 20, 2017 2:22 pm
I lay on my bedroll, on top of my sheets so they do not get wrinkled or messed up.
Dec 20, 2017 3:19 pm
"Goodnight everyone!"

Leothorn continues to read his technical manual using his darkvision.
Last edited December 20, 2017 6:27 pm
Dec 20, 2017 3:29 pm
Chastity giggles when Devochka whispers in his ear. He watches with some interest when Orlias lays out on top of his bedroll, however, he quickly loses interest when nothing happens. Instead, he changes into his nightclothes and crawls into his own bed, staring up at the ceiling trying to figure out what tomorrow will bring. The lights go out and he stares through the darkness, chuckling to himself as the funny little inventor sits up with a thick technical manual. He snuggles down into his pillow and slips off to sleep.
Dec 21, 2017 2:54 am
Kade remains silent while the rest of the group settles in. He pulls out a small metallic box, which he opens and closes the lid repeatedly like whatever is inside might change states the next time the lid is opened. He sighs and then pockets the trinket before wrestling his head from the middle of his bed up to his pillow before dozing off.
Jan 2, 2018 10:02 pm
At 0400 the next morning the lights in the barracks all come on at once magically. Sergeant Seacliff begind banging a pot and a pan together.

"Up and at them soldiers of the Home Guard. We are never found wanting and we are never found napping," she hollers merrily.

She tosses her instruments at Arashi. "Bang these together once a second every second for the next sixty seconds."
\
"You have sixty seconds to be ready to go! That means bed made, gear packed, and soldiers presentable at the foot of their bunks!" She proceeds to stand back and watch everyone scramble about.

Master Corporal Warryn joins the scene by yelling at anyone that her percieves as moving too slowly or not doing their jobs well enough. His advice is helpful but also fairly intimidating.

Everyone make a dexterity savin throw.
Jan 2, 2018 10:18 pm
Chastity surges out of bed, head full of banging and a disappointingly interrupted dream.

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Jan 3, 2018 12:41 am
Leothorn wakes up, pealing his face out of his technical manual. He groggily rises and pulls the string on his bed making machine, launching it into action. His bags are already packed from last night, and he pops out of sight for a moment, reappearing dressed to impress at the foot of his bed.
Last edited January 3, 2018 12:51 am

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Jan 3, 2018 12:59 am
"Good morning everyone!" Leothorn chirps.
Jan 3, 2018 2:05 am
Kade does his best to jump to and get out of bed, grabbing for his uniform and throwing it on the best he can as well as make his bed before assuming his stance in front of his rack.

Rolls

Dex - (1D20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jan 3, 2018 2:12 am
Ryvelli stands from the floor next to his cot, moving there sometime during the night, and smooths his bed out. He places a hand on his hip, feeling something, before gathering his belongings from the locker and standing in front of his cot.
Last edited January 3, 2018 2:15 am

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Jan 3, 2018 6:07 am
Arashi keeps perfect time. The pots bang together every second like clockwork. Bang!... Clang!... Bang!... Clang!...

Rolls

Secret Roll

Jan 3, 2018 8:06 am
Leothorn sees how much trouble Kade, his fire team partner, is having.

Kade! Quick, our time is almost up!

He glances at the door, then back to Kade. His mind is made up: he casts minor illusion, covering the surface of Kade's bed in an imaginary yet tidy bed.

He gives a 'I got your back' wink before falling back to attention.
Jan 3, 2018 9:14 am
Devochka grunts loudly, rolling out of bed, staring and mumbling angrily at Chastity while grabbing her stuff and racing off to the washroom to get dressed.

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Jan 3, 2018 9:49 pm
Devochka, Kade, Orlias and Puntah are the last to fall in line, and recieve the harshest of Warryn's rebukes.

"Alright soldiers! Fall in behind me. Ryvelli I want you beside me. Then Fire Team Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Delta and Echo."

Once Ryvelli takes his place beside her she turns her heel and walks out.
Jan 3, 2018 10:35 pm
Leothorn leaps into position as part of Fire Team Beta.

"Sorry Kade," he whispers, "I guess I wasn't sneaky enough to help you out back there."

While everyone is still getting in line, he cups his hands and shows Kade such that only the two of them can see: they contain a tiny, unflattering, illusionary caricature of Seacliff wagging his finger and barking orders. He promptly dispels the illusion once all are lined up, but has more trouble wiping the grin off his face.
Last edited January 3, 2018 10:39 pm
Jan 4, 2018 1:22 am
Arashi grabs his gear and takes his place in the rear with Puntah.
Jan 4, 2018 3:26 am
Puntah's twinkling eyes and constant grin are non-plused by the berating he receives from his superiors.

He giggles heartily when Leothorn evokes the illusory caricature of Seacliff, perhaps endangering his kinsman with getting caught.

"Good morning Mr. Arashi!" he beams. "I do hope you slept well! Oh, I can only imagine the tremendous things we shall learn about today!"

He wrings his hands earnestly, giving his bandoleers of tools a final once-over before they are filed out into the pre-morning graylight. He bounces excitedly on the balls of his feet, causing his wide sombrero to bob and its trim of tassles to weave in alternate pendulating waves.
Jan 4, 2018 5:39 am
Ryvelli's approach is slow, mostly due to him observing Arashi and Chastity. Not wanting to draw to much attention though, he removes his gaze and hustles to the side of Seacliff, without a word, and follows.
Jan 4, 2018 3:32 pm
Kade rushes in place behind Seacliff in order to make up some time with being so slow getting up. It's alright partner, I'll be quicker next time. Kade does his best to keep the snicker to himself but does indeed let out a small snicker.
Jan 4, 2018 3:47 pm
Chastity smiles as Devochka lines up next to him behind Leothorn and Kade. As Warryn leads them out, he leans over to his sister.

So, do ya think they know about Charlie de la Rosa? Is that why we're in fire team charlie? he whispers, a sly smirk spreading across his face.
Jan 4, 2018 7:40 pm
I stand in line and roll my eyes as Warryn rebukes me. I then wait for my turn to follow.
Jan 5, 2018 12:27 am
Sergeant Seacliff leads the section out the hallway to ther stairs in the back and up to the roof.

On the roof is a large metallic dragonfly. The head has large clear bubbles where the eyes would be. The body is larger and thicker than a real dragonfly might be, the legs are drawn up and it is laying on the ground. The Thorax has several openings along the side and you are lead inside.

Inside are pairs of seats with complicated harnesses like a modern airplane seat. You are instructed to sit according to your fireteams and shown where to stow your gear and how to latch yourselves into place. Once you are deated you are each (except Arashi) give a warm pouch with a straw in it. The pouch contains a hearty susbstance that's like a mixture of oatmeal and coffee.

"Orlias, go up and see the pilots. They'll have some info for you," says Seacliff while making sure everyone is strapped in and fed.
Jan 5, 2018 5:18 am
Kade stowed his gear and took his seat, not wanting to be one of the last ones ready again. He turned towards Leothorn This is a very strange vessel. Of course I'm only assuming it is one. What do you specialize in? You said that you were in the service of Gond?How do you serve him? Sorry for all the questions, this is all just making me slightly nervous.
Jan 5, 2018 2:30 pm
Roger Sergeant. I make my way to the front. Sergeant said you had some info for me? I ask the pilots.
Jan 6, 2018 12:48 am
Devochka looks at her brother and rolls her eyes. Ugh, PLEASE! I mean, it's not a secret you sucked his cock harder than I did, but you don't really think anyone here knows about our natural habitat, right?

When arriving at the dragonfly a crooked smile appears on Devochka's face. Wicked... This looks like a proper way of transportation! She puts away her stuff and straps herself in as instructed, looking around, her fingers playing with the little pendant that's hanging on a small chain around her neck absentmindedly.
Jan 6, 2018 6:00 am
Leothorn enthusiastically slurps down his oatmeal Slurpee while admiring every detail of the metallic craft. He has not blinked in a dangerously long time. Kade's voice brings him back.

"Yes, this is a very strange vessel indeed, but not the ocean-going kind I think. Why pattern it after a dragonfly if it does not fly? Oh, we are in for a treat today!

Please don't apologize for asking questions Kade. It is close to blasphemy in the eyes of Gond to not ask a question that is on your mind! Indeed, I am a cleric of the Church of Gond, and I serve the Wonderbringer by recovering lost knowledge. I am a member of the Unbroken Spine"
- he pauses to reveal his badge, then secrets it away again - "an organization that recovers lost books. They might be stolen, or trapped in a hell dimension, or in the tentacled clutches of an unholy aberration!

Honestly, I am pretty new to the calling. My most daring missions have been tracking down late library books at the Library of Gond in Sambar. I believe they have sent me here to 'toughen me up' as they say, but they underestimate my proficiency in fisticuffs!"

He throws a few sharp punches for effect, and then struggles as he gets tangled in his-oversized harnessed that doesn't seem to fit him no matter how much he tightens it.

"How about you, Kade? Tell me about yourself! What did you do before becoming a Home Guardsman - you mentioned a ship? And why did you join?"
Last edited January 6, 2018 12:09 pm
Jan 7, 2018 5:09 am
Kade was quiet for a moment before speaking up. Aye, I was on a ship. The Royale Fortune, Captained by my father Wilhelm Stryker as a privateer against pirates. Seems forever ago Arashi and I had the seas wind in our, er, my hair. He paused a moment smiling seeming to be lost in thought before continuing his face souringAnyway, our prey as often times happens became our hunters. It was an unfair fight to say the least 6 ships on 1, even if we had half the number... Anyway, back to the story, the pirates sailed the red. That meant no prisoners. Even the ones that jumped ship were gunned down by men in boats. I had managed to hide out on the gun deck and slip out through a porthole on the starboard side. Obviously my father was a human, so he isn't my actual father, but the man raised me. I joined the guard to avenge his death and hopefully captain a ship of my own. He stopped talking a moment and took a deep breath before continuing. What brought you to the Clergy of Gond?
Jan 7, 2018 10:56 pm
There are two pilots in the front section when Orlias arrives. Oneis running through checklists while the other turns to face him. "So you're the info tech for this trip?" He looks to the rest of the section, "no medic we die like men, right?" he says enjoying some joke.

"Don't worry rookie, my partner thinks he's funny, I'm sure you'll do fine. Sergeant Seacliff always brings her section home." says the second one.

"Ok, time for business," says the first one. "Hold up your locfinder." he holds up a device similar to a locfinder.

Once Orlias presents the locfinder there's a beam of light that connects the two and then both emit a satisfied tone.

"You locfinder now has the mission info. Once your objectives are complete your Sergeant will instruct you to rangcom with headquarters and we'll be on our way for pick up. Now take your seat ground pounder, we need to bite the sky."

Once everyone is strapped in Seargeant Seacliff informs the pilots and wings lever out fro mthe back of the thopter. They begin to flap like a dragonfly's, the craft begins to lift off and the legs retract. The doors seal up and the thopter takes flight.

Once enough altitude is gained the sun can be seen rising over the ocean, turning the bay into a burning bowl of pinks and golds. Head west, inland, you move away from the sun and disappears again under the horizon. The hills ahead are dark greens and shades of blacks waiting expectantly for dawn.

Sergeant Seacliff unstraps herself and moves to the middle of the craft delicately. "I hope you are all enjoying your first flight. If you have anyquestions now is the time, we have almost two hours before we arrive. I'll also be providing the in-depth mission briefing."
Jan 8, 2018 1:57 am
To say that Puntah is in a state of euphoria would be an understatement. He giggles like a deranged child, his eyes darting here and there, connecting with the faces of the soldiers around him as if he were sharing the most delightful personal joke he'd ever heard.

"This is wonderful, wonderful!" he exclaims over, and over, and over again, to anyone who will take the time to listen, or even make eye contact with the white-bearded gnome.

He leans out over the edge of his seat, allowing the five-point harness to take all of his modest weight, before lurching back to press his cottony head against the headrest and pressing his eyes closed. He seems to be at odds with whether he is more frightened or delighted.

"Alas!" he cries. "My stomach and my heart are at loggerheads. One thinks we are falling. The other knows we are flying!"
Jan 8, 2018 5:27 am
Isn't it though? Reminds of taking waves at speed when we were sailing, hey Arashi? Kade does his best to relax turning his attention towards the Sergeant What is our mission? I think we're all fairly eager to know.
Jan 8, 2018 2:05 pm
Sitting impassively in his seat, it's impossible to tell whether Arashi is enjoying the flight or not. He nods in response to Kade, then turns his attention back to the Sergeant.
Jan 8, 2018 3:27 pm
"Here is the mission. It's a simple creep and peep. Our allies, a tribe of shifters living in the hills, have sent word to the Home Guard that something unusual and dangerous has appeared in their territory. These shifters know their territory like the back of their paws. Time was they might have greeted a section like ours with claws out and teeth bared, but since the Transit we've all been good friends. This mission is proof of that, they need help and they are asking, so we provide, like good friends do. If something dangerous is prowliing their lands and they've called for us to look into it it means they think it might be from outside Lantan. We find this thing and determine it's threat level and origin and then we retreat back to the city. We'll meet with the shifters and see what they have to tell us, then we'll move out to investigate. Any questions?"
Jan 8, 2018 5:08 pm
Titan says:
Kade was quiet for a moment before speaking up. Aye, I was on a ship. The Royale Fortune, Captained by my father Wilhelm Stryker as a privateer against pirates. Seems forever ago Arashi and I had the seas wind in our, er, my hair. He paused a moment smiling seeming to be lost in thought before continuing his face souringAnyway, our prey as often times happens became our hunters. It was an unfair fight to say the least 6 ships on 1, even if we had half the number... Anyway, back to the story, the pirates sailed the red. That meant no prisoners. Even the ones that jumped ship were gunned down by men in boats. I had managed to hide out on the gun deck and slip out through a porthole on the starboard side. Obviously my father was a human, so he isn't my actual father, but the man raised me. I joined the guard to avenge his death and hopefully captain a ship of my own. He stopped talking a moment and took a deep breath before continuing. What brought you to the Clergy of Gond?
Leothorn listens with wide eyes and appropriately sympathetic gestures. He gives Kade a heartfelt Gnome-sized hug by the end of his story, as much as can be allowed by that ridiculous harness.

"Oh, because of my love of books ..." begins Leothorn, but he promptly quiets down as Seacliff explains the mission.
Jan 8, 2018 5:20 pm
As Seacliff describes the mission, Leothorn creates an illusionary board that displays a summary of the information Seacliff is saying. It grows in real-time, and is displayed for all to see.
Quote:
HYPOTHESIS
There is a threat in our Shifter allies' territory.

ORDERS
Overview: 'Creep and Peek'

Step 1: Meet with Shifters and gather information on threat
Step 2: Determine if this threat is real
Step 3: If threat confirmed, determine the level of danger and origin of that threat.
Step 4: Return to city.

PARAMETERS
* Diplomatic: Our mission demonstrates the value friendship.
* Foreign: Threat suspected to originate from outside Lantan.
* Notable absence of engagement orders.
Last edited January 8, 2018 5:21 pm
Jan 8, 2018 6:55 pm
Arashi studies Leothorn's board with interest. A logical breakdown such as this has always been the way the Gondborn's own mind is accustomed to processing information...indeed the world around him. But since his time in the monastery Arashi has been learning how to feel and come to a better understanding of himself as a person rather than a thing, and that persons and things are always more than the sums of their parts. He also notes the absence of engagement orders. Given the number of tactical personnel in this unit it's safe to assume engagement is a very real expectation even if it isn't an objective.
Jan 8, 2018 7:51 pm
Chastity feigns shock at his sister's words for a moment before the briefing starts up. Like Arashi, he studies the magical board with great interest as it grows more and more, the more their sergeant speaks.

Yes sergeant, for us "make all the things feel the pain" types. You've talked about our sneaking and peeping requirements, but not what your expectations are for pain-bringing? I assume defense of my fire team is admissible, but what other conditions do we have to follow for attacking things? At least, conditions that we need to follow if we don't want demerits or beatings or some such? he says, his voice a touch haughtier than he intended at the end.

Damn it to Gond Chastity, don't sound like a total prig.
Jan 9, 2018 1:29 am
Kade accepted the gnomish hug. It has been some time. He added before giving the sergeant his attention and watches as the magical info board grew. Instead of asking questions though he decided to remain silent and listen to the rest of the questiosn and information given.
Jan 9, 2018 6:36 am
In response to Chastity's question, Leothorn nervously adds an additional point to the illusory summation: Beatings for disobedience?
Jan 9, 2018 3:02 pm
That latest addition to the board earns an all but imperceptible response from Arashi that only Kade will recognize: the equivalent of a barely-suppressed chuckle.
Last edited January 9, 2018 4:03 pm
Jan 9, 2018 3:15 pm
Devochka listens to everyone speak, just as the others looking at Leothorn's info board. When he adds the last point she snorts, quickly glancing over to the Sergeant to see her reaction, then shaking her head whispering Men are so weird... Why bring up something like punishment? Why make her think about it?
She then turns her focus to Sergeant Seacliff to hear about any punishment her hotheadedness could bring on herself.
Jan 9, 2018 6:43 pm
The hooded man unbuckles his harness and stands; for most of those in the flying device, this is the first you've heard him speak; for the others that have heard him, this is the loudest you've heard him speak. In what would be considered a normal tone to most, he calls out from his shadowed hood "I will not be apart of something that feels the need to beat their members for any reason."

As if realizing his increased tone and spotlighted attention, the hooded man quickly sits back down, and sinks into his robes becoming a bundled mess of cloth.
Jan 9, 2018 11:30 pm
Leothorn is pleased that people seem to be reading his information board. He idly plays with the kerning and font size in subtle ways to adjust for anyone with dyslexia or nearsightedness.

When the hooded man stands up though, Leothorn wonders about his past.

This person has intrigued me the moment he arrived! What is their sad story? Another mystery!

He unconsciously decreases the size of the word "Beatings" as if to diminish the harm of the word.
Last edited January 9, 2018 11:31 pm
Jan 10, 2018 3:50 pm
Sergeant Seacliff looks confused. "The Home guard does not believe in corporal punishment. It is innapropriate to strike a fellow member of the Home guard, or any Lantanese citizen who is not attempting to harm another. Private Leothorn please remove that note form your otherwise helpful visual aid."

"Regarding use of force the Home Guard uses a doctrine known as the continuum of force. We respond to threats with equal force to those presented by opposite parties. The continuum is: presence, words, weapons, then force and finally lethal force. The means if a potentially hostile party is present so are we. If they are verbally threatening then so are we. If they are physically threatening, demonstrating weapons or suggesting harm, so are we. If they use force, so do we. If they are attempting to kill any Lantanese citizen including one of us then we are allowed to respond in kind. It is the goal of the Home Guard to curb all threats to Lantan. We do, however, try to gather as much information as possible about these threats, and that includes avoiding lethal force where possible so that we can gather information from any hostile actors we encounter."

"This is a lot to lay on you, this is partially a training mission. You were all assessed as being basically capable of defending yourselve, and the Home Guard doesn't care about marching or other pageantry, so we're not spending time training in base. We are going into the field to learn and to do."

"Is there anything else?"
Jan 10, 2018 5:09 pm
Nothing else from me! Chastity says, smiling inwardly that there is no implemented system of corporal punishment. That is, nothing else unless you're taking flavor requests for our next oatmeal pouches. Berry cinnamon would be lovely! he says, with a small chuckle.
Jan 10, 2018 5:26 pm
Leothorn promptly removes the line about beatings, and replaces it with No beatings! followed by a smiley face. He then adds a small info graphic about the Continuum of Force and Berry Cinnamon? in blinking letters.
Jan 11, 2018 5:09 am
Kade remains mostly silent. All in due time I guess. Nothing from me. He took a moment, in particular, to familiarize himself with the continuum.
Jan 11, 2018 3:32 pm
'Corporal punishment leads to strength.' Paraphrasing something from a past life, I suppose. I begin ashamedly playing with one of my daggers. as I take a seat.
Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm
"Alright, now that we've got that settled let's move on. Once we approach our landing spot we are going to exit the thopter in a quick and orderly fashion. These unarmed thopters are at their most vulnerable when they are close to the ground, so we minimise the amount of time it takes before the pilots can lift off. We fan out, fire team alpha will go north, fire team beta goes east, charlie south, delta west and echo hunkers in place until all teams are in cover. Once I determine that there's no immediate threat we will move towards our rendez-vous point, under Orlias' direction. Fire teams always move together. We'll discuss more on the ground."
Jan 15, 2018 9:56 pm
Ryvelli begins to raise his hands but decides against whatever it was he was thinking and quickly lowers it back into his robe folds.
Jan 15, 2018 11:26 pm
Devochka closes her eyes, sure her brother will think of enough comments about Charlie heading south to last the entire mission. She quickly opens them and looks at Seacliff.
Excuse me sergeant, but how would we know where to head? And how far down south are we supposed to go anyway? Immediately regretting her questions, cringing internally when she hears her brother snort loudly.
Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm
Kade nudges Leo. You ready?
Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm
What happens if there is an immediate threat? Are we equipped to eliminate it? I ask, looking around the thopter.
Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm
By this time, a dagger-brandishing Leothorn has reconfigured his harness to better support small-sized humanoids and sits comfortably in his seat, his legs not long enough to dangle off the edge.

Kade, I am ready! I am confident that with Gond's guidance, all problems can be solved! I imagine someone with your experience is more than ready for the task at hand. Do you have any advice that you can share with me?
Jan 18, 2018 5:59 pm
I think the sergeant said it best, return whats given, and don't hesitate about it. Unless it's a trap though, I don't think we'll be needing our expertise right away. He shifted in his seat uncomfortably. Flying was not like sailing. At least I hope he said under his breath.
Jan 20, 2018 8:08 pm
Arashi turns to Puntah "When we set down you and I will be responsible for looking out for threats while the others move into position. I'll watch north and east, you watch south and west. Have you ever been in combat? Don't worry, as long as you and I stick together we'll be fine."
Jan 22, 2018 6:49 pm
When we set down we'll be the first off the boat as it were. I assume it would be just like a landing party. We'll ensure the area is safe for the rest of the party to go ashore. How are you in a fight Leo? He nudges the gnome next to him with a smile.
Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm
Puntah smiles broadly, a shifting of the cottony beard that reveals wide, even teeth.

"We’ll be better than fine! Nothing gets the mind racing better than a good tussle. We gnomes may look gentle of spirit, but fear not. We can throw a good wallop when ‘tis needed."

He winks, knowingly, tapping the hand axe tucked into his belt.
Last edited January 29, 2018 1:24 am
Jan 23, 2018 6:13 am
Leothorn smiles and nods at Puntah.

"Well said Puntah!"

He turns to Kade and anyone else who is listening.

"You have no IDEA how many books about fisticuffs I've read in preparation for this mission†! But if anyone has any pointers or tips, I'd be happy to listen."
† It was 183, which included the Monster Manual for 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons, but don't tell Mardav that.
Last edited January 23, 2018 6:15 am
Jan 23, 2018 1:17 pm
Chastity shifted in his seat, barely able to suppress his snort at Devochka's barb about Charlie.

Yes Zabiyaka, Charlie did prefer my southern trips. Always said you were a little too - ah what was the word - frigid. he said with a smirk as he collected his thoughts in preparation for touching down. Though which way is south would be really good to know. Maybe if we just head where the other groups don't, we'll be good.
Jan 25, 2018 2:00 am
Ryvelli leans into Leothorn and whispers to him
HypCo sent a note to lenpelletier
He leans back and retakes his slouched position in his seat.
Jan 25, 2018 2:09 am
Puntah chuckles, a high-pitched warbling that tapers off into a fading trickle of giggles.

"My tip one would be: Don't take fisticuffs to a sword fight. Tip two is don't take a sword to a gunfight. Tip three: Well, tip three involves fire and explosives..."

He revs up into a second gale of chuckling laughter...
Last edited January 25, 2018 2:10 am
Jan 25, 2018 6:37 am
Len sent a note to HypCo
Leothorn rapidly copies down this torrent of advice in his notebook.
[ +- ] Leothorn's notes
Anyone else?
Last edited January 25, 2018 6:38 am
Jan 26, 2018 1:20 am
HypCo sent a note to lenpelletier
OOC:
I absolutely love Leothorn! He is so adorable, I just want to put him in my pocket and take him everywhere I go.

Len

Jan 26, 2018 5:43 pm
OOC:
[ +- ] Aww shucks
Also, kudos to Cruvis and his portrayal of Puntah! I worried at first I was using up all the Gnome tropes and taking the spotlight from Puntah, but Cruvis has done a great job of differentiating Puntah to be the older, wiser Gnome without losing the mischievous twinkle in his eye. It's probably a less glamorous role to play but requires a lot more skill and I wanted to mention to Cruvis at some point how awesome Puntah is.

Also, Kade has played a great setup man for Leothorn's antics, in addition to telling his own compelling story. I am getting really spoiled here.
Last edited January 26, 2018 5:45 pm
Jan 28, 2018 7:55 pm
Devochka moves her hand, pa first, towards her brother's face, ready to give him some shock therapy when Puntah sums up his tips and she turns her attention to him.
Hmm, fire and explosives, things just got interesting. What about ice and electricity? Where would you place those in your fight analysis?
OOC:
Since yesterday I really REALLY want Leothorn and Puntah to do the "two dwarves in a coat dancing scene"
from Sneeuwwitje. I really see it all happening with Leothorn moving his feet with a bit too much enthusiasm and determination while Puntah's sombrero wobbles around on his head.

And I really love the way the characters are being shown/played/made to come alive. Makes me feel bad about not being able to put more effort in to achieve the same the past few weeks. When I'm done with being in pain I'll bring back my a-game, pinky promise!
Jan 29, 2018 12:42 am
OOC:
Total crap-out here, ae_dd, but who can resist an opportunity to quote Frost?
Puntah pulls his sunhat off his woolly pate and cradles it in his lap, reaching up briefly to scratch at the reddened ring on his forehead created by the irritating hatband. His eyes gleam, as he recites something he once penned, a poem formed and memorized from the words of a revered elder, delved from long-ago memories.

"I once had the extreme priviledge to hear an elder dragon speak about his thoughts on The End Days. Master Niv-Mizzet, he was called. Right brilliant wyrm... I paraphrased it in this rhyme."

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

His aquamarine eyes twinkle with gratitude for the young tiefling. For what gnome would not be completely tickled to have the opportunity to share his idle musings?
OOC:
Thanks all! No effort in role-playing can go anywhere without a solid group of creative writers who create a canvas and palette to tell a story. ae_dd, do not be hard on yourself. We will all experience missed opportunities to create our best examples. Life is just like that. Puntah's character will surely wax and wane throughout this adventure, depending upon where I am in real life any given moment. Cheers!
Last edited January 29, 2018 1:30 am
Jan 29, 2018 6:22 pm
Kade sits in his seat shifting nervously ready to have landed already. Upon hearing Puntah's words he smiles though
Yo, ho, haul together, hoist the colors high.
Yo, ho thieves and beggers, never shall we die.

He sits back in his seat clearly beginning to relax and be at ease hearing his own words and slowly closes his eyes humming.
Jan 30, 2018 2:52 am
The sound of music, even drowned through the torrent of rushing of wind, makes Puntah's eyes sparkle with a rare opportunity, never to be passed up.

"Ye haven't met Dulcinea yet, friends!"

Reaching into a shoulder bag, the tiny gnome wrestles out a silvery, thin-framed, steel, lute-type instrument. In addition to the expected fret-board and strings, this exotic instrument displays an array of white ivory keys, a brassy fly-wheel, and multiple alloy drone strings. A crank at the base of the body fits neatly into the gnome's tiny right hand. He begins spinning the crank in undulating rhythms, creating a synchopated beat, as he accompanies the seaman's simple chanty. His fingers dance and clatter, deftly across the array of rectangular buttons, typing out a bright and lively jig.

He whoops and yelps appreciatively, all the while allowing the sailor to relive a musical moment from his glorious travels at sea.
OOC:
The 'jig' is up! This Priest of Gond is a Divine Bard. ;)
Last edited January 30, 2018 3:00 am
Jan 30, 2018 9:42 pm
Made remains still in his seat. Those listening close enough to his him pick up the soft sound of waves in the distance before he sings another verse.

Now some have died
and some are alive
and others sail on sea
with the keys to the cage
and the Devil to pay
we lay to Fiddler's Green.

His voice sounds as you might expect a pirates to but as he sings his words rise and fall as if they were waves crashing into a shear cliff.
Jan 31, 2018 3:23 pm
Chastity taps his toes as the singing picks up. Far too much water talk for my tastes, I run a bit - hotter - than that. But nice song there Kade! Always helps to keep singing. Just keep singing mate!
Jan 31, 2018 10:40 pm
Devochka smiles at the poetry, but her attention is quickly grabbed by Kade's singing. She shifts a bit in her seat, a predatory hunger burning deep in her eyes. She quirks a corner of her mouth before purring in a smooth and luscious voice, her eyes fixated on Kade. Oh I like to think adding some water to my hotness can only make things - steamy....
Feb 1, 2018 3:44 pm
Leothorn taps his foot to the beat of his comrades' songs, smiling in delight as he realizes this mission is turning into a musical!
Feb 1, 2018 11:55 pm
At Devochka's words, his cheeks start to slowly turn from blue to a darker blue-green color. Are we there yet? Nervousness in his voice.
Feb 3, 2018 8:46 pm
Oh! I know how we can pass the time!"

Leothorn embiggens the Engineer Case that contains the team's supplies. As the Thopter careens dangerously to one side, he pulls out a pair of boxes with blinking lights and four wired helmets apiece. He places one of the cubes in the middle of the cabin and shrinks the case, just in time to allow the Thopter to recover.

As everyone watches, he places one of the four helmets on his head. The box suddenly creates a lovely illusion of Leothorn floating above it, rendered in luminous shades of blue. He is standing in a plain circular room with a diameter of 50 feet.

"It's a training simulator! Anyone want to take on Team Bravo?! Two versus two!" Leothorn nudges a helmet toward Kade to join his 'team'

The second cube is powered down but could easily be picked up by another 4 contestants.
OOC:
Mardav, when you return, feel free to put an end to this mini game and move on with the story.
Feb 3, 2018 9:35 pm
Devochka lunges for one of the other helmets the second Leothorn is done talking. I'm sorry little man but you're going down! Come on Momo, let's show them how it's done!

She puts on her helmet, joining Leothorn in the circular room. Wicked.... So everything I can do in real life I can do here to? How does that work?! Or, you know, I don't think I want to know... Just tell me if I need to do something special!
Feb 4, 2018 1:08 am
You just need to believe, Devochka! Once you do, the magic will discover your abilities and you can use them within the illusory world without depleting your energy in real life.

Just remember, if you die in the game, you die in real life too! Oh wait, it looks like they patched that bug. Nevermind! :D
Feb 5, 2018 11:41 am
Looks like? Are you sure? I don't want to accidentally kill you... Anyway... Let's test this! She closes her eyes for a second, firmly believing the illusion of herself can do everything she can and then imagines Dev2 shoots a fire bolt against the wall about two meters left of Leo2. She opens one eye to see if it worked, grinning widely when she sees the remains of a small burn disappear on the spot she wanted to hit. Leothorn, darling, I don't know where you got this but I need one, for reasons...
Feb 6, 2018 6:01 am
Leo2 claps loudly, saluting Dev2's success!

"Okay, let's test our skills!"

Leothorn activates the device and a booming voice calls out "WELCOME TO THE HEXAGON!"

Our illusionary selves expand to life size, filling the cabin with our illusionary likenesses. An emotionally powerful and beautiful battle hymn fills the Thopter.
[ +- ] Epic Song *
We find ourselves 30 feet apart, 15 feet from the center of the 50-foot wide circular arena. Leothorn hefts his shield, Dustcover, and puts it between him and Devochka. He draws his wavy blue dagger and raises it high in the air in challenge.

"Behold: Papercut!"

"Best of luck Devochka!"
OOC:
Good luck ae_dd! In the world of Hexagon we do not use up our real life resources but in any given battle we are limited to the number of resources we would normally have. Let's roll initiative and begin!

* from the album Pokemon X · Copyright: Writer(s): Tamara Loeffler, John Siegler
Last edited February 6, 2018 7:07 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Feb 6, 2018 6:26 pm
Dev2 takes a relaxed stance, turning her wrists, causing them tho crack and taking a deep breath, ready to strike.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Feb 6, 2018 7:03 pm
Leo2 rolls forward spectacularly, limbs flailing and cloak billowing, calling out a warcry in high celestial:

"Ipsa scientia potestas est!"
Knowledge itself is power!

Papercut extends with utmost dangerocity from behind Dustcover, his shield!

"Quaero!"
Poke!
Last edited February 6, 2018 7:30 pm

Rolls

Attack with Papercut (piercing) - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

1d4+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Feb 6, 2018 8:40 pm
Dev2 staggers a step back, surprised by the little man's attack. Her eyes burn with fury as she moves her hands together, like she's holding a ball.
Confusio is all she says and it seems something explodes in her hands, forcing them apart to reveal a swirling ball of chaos she then shoves in Leo2's direction with both hands.

Casting Chaos Bolt as a first level spell.
1st 1/2
1/7 HP | 11 AC | Inspiration 0 | Hellish Resistance | Tides of Chaos 1

Unable to control the chaotic matter the blast goes straight past Leo2, hitting the floor behind him. A ball of fire bounces back, hitting Dev2 in the face, knocking her straight back, eyes closed.

Game over.

Leo2 1 | 0 Dev2
Last edited February 6, 2018 8:48 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Damage (+type determination) - (2d8+1, 1d6)

2d8+1 : (33) + 1 = 7

1d6 : (2) = 2

Feb 6, 2018 11:27 pm
Leo2 slow walks away from the explosion like a boss!
[ +- ] KABOOM
After, Leothorn pulls off his helmet and opens up the Hexagon.

"Hmm, the fate-weaving magic seems to be a bit unstable still. I don't think that was a fair contest!"

"Does anyone else want to try it?"
OOC:
OMG! ae_dd that was some horrible rolls! TWO NATCH ONES IN A ROW! But I love the picture you painted with it! I laughed so hard!!!!! You really snagged the opportunity to turn a one into fun :)

Again, Mardav feel free to end our shenanigans whenever you're ready.
Last edited February 6, 2018 11:28 pm
Feb 7, 2018 12:41 am
Chastity watches the gameplay between his sister and the gnome with a bemused smirk plastered across his face.
Feb 7, 2018 2:52 pm
Devochka pulls of her helmet as well, shame on her face. Her eyes are on the ground as she thinks over what just happened. I'm sorry. That sometimes happens when I get a little overexcited. There's just so much energy inside and controlling that isn't always easy... I'm glad it happened in there and not out in the real world, that would've sucked!
OOC:
I know right? First I was like "wow, glad I rolled a 1 when it doesn't really matter much." And now I hope all of them are gone so it doesn't happen again:-o!
Feb 7, 2018 3:23 pm
OOC:
So did we all see the display? Or is it in your guys' minds? Or both?
Kade stands to take the helmet. I'll give it a go.
OOC:
Also, to add to Kade's image, I'm giving him a beard. Imagine the avatar with like a fine hairlike green algae in the form of a short trimmed beard.
Last edited February 7, 2018 3:24 pm
Feb 7, 2018 4:05 pm
Sounds good Kade, I think I may see how you do! I've got some things I'd like to try! Chastity says, tossing one of the helmets on. An illusory Chastity stands in the circular room, looking down at his hands.
OOC:
I assumed it was visible to all of us.
lenpelletier says:
As everyone watches, he places one of the four helmets on his head. The box suddenly creates a lovely illusion of Leothorn floating above it, rendered in luminous shades of blue. He is standing in a plain circular room with a diameter of 50 feet.

Rolls

Init? - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Feb 7, 2018 5:07 pm
Kade places a helmet on his head gingerly. As a perfect image of himself is projected in the room with Chastity. Well this is interesting. He says smiling.

Rolls

Roll that beautiful init footage. - (1D20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Feb 7, 2018 5:17 pm
Kades expression turns serious as he concentrates attempting to be the first to get a hit off. Standing in place he lifts a single hand palm towards Chastity muttering an incantation, stringing incoherent words together, the undulation familiar to those who have spent time on a beach listening to the waves. As he speaks the air around Chastity begins to chill to the bone, his breath in a clear fog.
OOC:
Casting frostbite. Need a con save. Disadvantage on next attack and damage for a fail.

Rolls

Damage if con save failed - (1D6)

(6) = 6

Feb 7, 2018 5:31 pm
Chastity shivers slightly as the rime swirls around him. Brrr Kade. Thankfully my blood runs just a bit hotter than that! he quips, sliding the heirloom pistol out of his waistband. Let's see how you enjoy some focused magic of my own design! Pointing the barrel of the arcanopistol at the other figure, a swirl of magical energy forms in the barrel before streaking out in a beam.
OOC:
Con save first. EDIT: assuming a 19 succeeds.
Casting eldritch blast through my Arcanopistol focus!
1st 1/1
9/9 HP | 13 AC | Insp. 0
Last edited February 7, 2018 5:35 pm

Rolls

Con Save - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Eldritch Blast - (1d20+5, 1d10+1)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d10+1 : (7) + 1 = 8

Feb 7, 2018 5:44 pm
OOC:
Hah, yea, 19 passes. Should've added that.
Kades eyes go wide as he realizes he had made a tragic mistake in being confident that he would hit first, just as the blast smashes into his chest sending him flying backward into the air. However, just as his illusionary body is about to hit the ground of the arena it vanishes, and the actual Kade is sent several steps backward before falling onto his behind coughing. Panting he frantically pats at his chest before calming just a tad.
Seems they did work out that kink or whatever it was you said, but it still hurts like hell.
He gets to his feet taking his seat again rubbing his chest. Kudos Chas. Continuing to rub his chest under strained breath.
Last edited February 7, 2018 5:45 pm
Feb 9, 2018 2:49 pm
Chastity smiles and offers a hand to Kade, looking to shake on the contest. That frost may have worked on someone less hot-blooded. By Gond, I could feel my joints starting to seize up! he says with a lopsided smile.
Feb 9, 2018 3:14 pm
Kade takes the offered hand before sitting down. Taking off the helmet Maybe next time He says coughing.
Feb 9, 2018 4:17 pm
"The Hexagon also comes with these!"

Leothorn opens up a small leather case with many grey cartridges in it. He turns it to one side and blows strongly into the cartridge, puffing out a small dust cloud. It says "Owlbear" on the front.

"We can insert these into the Hexagon and fight illusionary monsters as a team!"
Feb 9, 2018 4:32 pm
Chastity perks up as Leothorn mentions other creatures. That would be a great tool to maybe learn some of our combat strengths and weaknesses before we ever touch down in a hostile place Leo! Is it just normal creatures, or do you have other - stranger - things we could battle? How many cartridges can be plugged in at once? he says, feeling himself whip up into excitement.
Feb 9, 2018 9:05 pm
That does sound much more my speed. I'd rather not fight against any of you.
Feb 10, 2018 3:50 am
I’m not much of a combatant, but I’d be willing to try in a group. I chime in.
Feb 10, 2018 5:37 pm
Don't worry, I think we have enough fire power. Kind of curious how we would do as a group though. Wonder if there is a way to get more creatures to fight.
Feb 10, 2018 6:52 pm
"By Gond as my witness, I'm sure we'll figure it out! There looks like there's space to plug in as many cartridges as you like."

He starts tossing cartridges onto the seat in front of him...

"Hmm, Ancient Red Dragon, Kraken, Demogorgon, hmm, what's a Tarasque? I'm sure we'll find something suitable. What should we plug in here?"
OOC:
I'm happy to run a combat while we're waiting for the game to move forward, but maybe we could do it in a 'Hexagon' thread so as not to take the game thread too far off topic?
Last edited February 10, 2018 6:52 pm
Feb 10, 2018 9:25 pm
OOC:
i think a separate thread would be best.
Feb 10, 2018 10:17 pm
OOC:
I'm down. Would be fun.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.