Character Creation

load previous
Jun 27, 2015 5:07 pm
Korag is a former pirate who received a vision from Tyr in the middle of a battle. He switched sides on the spot, and slew enough of his former comrades that the captain of the new ship spared his life, and put him ashore at the nearest port. He knows next to nothing about Tyr, but he has a clear sense of his purpose. Essentially, he's Samuel L Jackson at the end of Pulp Fiction. Minus the jerry curl.

Tyr 25:17 "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you."
Jun 27, 2015 5:10 pm
"But I saw some stuff on the boat this morning made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Greatsword here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous kiester in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that bull ain't the truth. The truth is, you're the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd."
Last edited June 27, 2015 5:11 pm
Jun 27, 2015 7:13 pm
Rolling for HP

Rolls

Hp rolling - (5d8-5)

(48783) - 5 = 25

Jun 27, 2015 8:03 pm
Lysander served as a medic in the army. He was young and ambitious when he signed on. He balked at being relegated to the medic corp. Eventually he learned enough and was assigned to a unit headed to the front lines as it's medic. Once on the front lines the horrors of war truly revealed themselves. Lysander proved his valor time and again, but battle quickly drained his youthful exuberance. Then one night his unit was attacked by something dark and fearsome. What it was Lysander cannot say, he was gravely injured and was bed ridden for many months. While he was recovering a visiting priest inspired him to join the church. After he was ordained he was given the mission of spreading his faith and tending to the needs of the people. The war is now over, Lysander is healthy enough to get back out into the world to adventure. He has fallen back in with [other PC name(s)] from his old unit. They saved his life once, and Lysander has sworn to return the favor.

So, there is the basic concept I have worked up. If anyone wants to be from Lysander's old unit. feel free to work him and these details into your character's story.
Jun 27, 2015 8:53 pm
Well, it's a warhammer, not a greatsword, but yeah. Anyway, it seemed like a perfect line for a OoV paladin, and the whole "You're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men, but I'm trying hard to be the shepherd " bit fits his story to a T. So there.

foolsmask - I like the story. I'd tap in to be a former comrade in arms, but it doesn't really gel with my guy.

Are we rolling hps or doing 1/2 rounded up?

If we're rolling...

Rolls

hps - (5d10+15)

(73269) + 15 = 42

Jun 27, 2015 10:23 pm
Katerina was found at a young age wandering around the Forest of the Ancients muttering nonsense phrases in High Mordentish. The man that found her was Theodore Smith, a widower Lamplighter, while he was investigating bandits that had fled into the area. Not able to turn his back on the young girl nor give up pursuit, so hot on their trail, he strapped the young girl to his back and continued to track the bandits. Lucky he did, as the girl, facing backwards, was able to warn him of an impending ambush when she screamed at bandits that had hidden amongst the trees.
The old soldier took this to be a good omen and raised the girl as his own. As such, and without a wife at home to care for the child, this was the first of many missions that Katerina would be brought along on. The girl was quick and smart, easily learning how best to stay out of the way and be useful by being an extra set of eyes.
However much Old Theodore loves her, the townspeople are wary. The girl is eerily quiet and, in emulation of her foster father, dresses in armor. This is off-putting and most townsfolk only deal with her in deference to Theodore.
While their relationship is good, some things still trouble both Theodore and Katerina. Due to his nature as a Lamplighter, Theodore has never been able to allow the circumstances of Katerina’s strange appearance in the forest to leave his memory. In his mind’s eye he can still see her in the forest, standing there naked except for an empty locket and bits of old, dried paint crusted to her eyelashes and platinum blond hair. Katerina on the other hand has little memory of before she was found. She is happy when she is with Theodore and smiles when he takes her along on missions but sullen otherwise, her green eyes vacant of expression. She still wakes in the night screaming from nightmares of a darkness she can’t remember.
Katerina has recently come of age and her slight frame, easy grace, and porcelain skin have started to attract some of the town’s eligible bachelors. Truly though, only the bravest approach her because pretty as she is, her cold vacancy and masculine dress intimidates them into finding easier wives.
Everything was fine in her life until two weeks ago when Theodore said he had to go on a mission alone. He was investigating a connection to her origins and was certain of the dangers that lurked where he was going. Not wanting to concern Katerina, he told her it was a routine perimeter walk, something that had began to bore her in her later years. But now he hasn’t returned. And no one in the Sheriff’s office has knowledge of the mission he went on. 
Katerina, with the skills and training she has learned under the tutelage of her Lamplighter father, will strap her rapiers to her sides and venture out into the darkness to bring him back.

Katerina is a human fighter urchin who fights with dual rapiers. She wears half plate armour that moves flexibly with her fluid dual weapon fighting style. She represents and values the highest virtues of truth and honor.

Rolls

HP - (5d10+10)

(985103) + 10 = 45

Jun 27, 2015 10:29 pm
... didn't think about it until after I rolled it, but first level is maxed hit die plus another four. But since we all rolled 5dHD, does everyone just want keep that and just go with it?
Jun 27, 2015 11:35 pm
Or use standard HP rolls. Better results
Jun 28, 2015 3:34 am
Spent a good chunk of my day in Photoshop Frankensteining together a Character Potrait for Katerina.
Last edited June 28, 2015 3:34 am
Jun 28, 2015 8:19 am
Nice work themightykobold. I also created a character portrait today, meet Lysander, Half-elf Cleric of Saga
Jun 28, 2015 9:03 am
Holy cow!! 5 stars for effort! Will load them up
Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am
http://s17.postimg.org/8jr1gtcsd/Screenshot_2015_06_28_10_10_25.png

Let's fill this tavern!

Are you all doing traits/ideal/bond/flaw too? Also, do I get to see the character sheets? It's my first time using this forum
Jun 28, 2015 12:13 pm
You do get to see character sheets. I sent you a message though: You need to edit the game page. Under number of players there is a "Characters per Player" setting. Right now it is set to zero characters per player. Just bump that up to one and we can submit our sheets. Also, Foolsmask, your art is decent as hell! I really dig Hijack and what looks to be his control of elemental powers. Really, it all looks really good.

I will do a more formalized traits/ideal/bond/flaw but it's all pretty much in the backstory. The flaw is a bit weak right now but it's a work in progress.
Last edited June 28, 2015 12:22 pm
Jun 28, 2015 1:03 pm
That's the second time I've had to change that. I hope it sticks. And I'm highlighting the relevant parts of the backstory anyway - no need to formalise them if they are implicit in the text. A little more about personality would be good all round
Jun 28, 2015 1:19 pm
https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0377/54/1422758327860.png

Personality Trait 1 = To me, a tavern brawl is a good way to get to know a new city.
Personality Trait 2 = I misquote sacred texts and proverbs in almost every situation.
Ideal = Faith. I trust that my deity will guide my actions. I have faith that if I work hard, things will go well.
Bond = I am guilty of terrible crimes. I hope someday to redeem myself.
Flaw = Once someone questions my courage, I never back down, no matter how dangerous the situation.

More of the above comes from the acolyte background than the sailor, but his transition from pirate to paladin has taken him on a strange journey. He's 5th level, so he's probably had a few adventures since then, but I imagine mostly he's been hunting down criminals and corrupt officials.
He's not too bright, and things are very simple for him. If you kill, steal or oppress people, you're bad. If you're an unnatural monster, you're bad. Tyr wants you to stop being bad, and if that means your brains get splattered all over the floor, so be it.
Last edited June 28, 2015 1:30 pm
Jun 28, 2015 2:18 pm
Personality: There is more to most problems than what originally meets the eyes; Katerina does not let appearances fool her and tries to take account of all aspects of a person or a scene. The Lamplighters' honor, a vivid consciousness of personal dignity and worth, is unimpeachable; Katerina, valuing the duties and privileges of her profession, helps those in need wherever she should find them in this dark land.
Ideal: Justice and Temperance. Katerina believes in fairness in protection of rights and punishment of wrongs. Also that a clear mind is one that sees the full picture.
Bond: To find Theodore, her father, and to unravel the mystery of his disappearance.
Flaw: In Mordent, Lamplighters are universally respected; in the outside world, those that don't recognize the order may not show the same deference. Katerina being inept at social situations will challenge any percieved disrespect to her authority. She is afraid of the dark if she is alone. She is not actually a Lamplighter, though she has been trained as one from youth. If someone outside of Mordentshire called her out, it would stain her honor.
Last edited June 28, 2015 2:57 pm
Jun 28, 2015 2:26 pm
Also for more info about the Lamplighters (which now I'm thinking I should turn into a homebrew Background), you can check out the Ravenloft Gazetteer Volume 3 pg 114-117 here.
Jun 28, 2015 3:46 pm
Jun 28, 2015 3:55 pm
oops .. sorry, I was checking if my avatar was working. But she's cool looking for sure.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.