Character creation, rolling and downtime

load previous
Jul 14, 2015 11:55 pm
You ended up with some nice stats there, but you ended up with the anti dwarf there almost ;-). Strength should be 13 should it?

Strength - (4d6+2)
( 3, 1, 5, 3 ) + 2 = 14

3 + 5 + 3 = 11 + 2 = 13
Jul 15, 2015 5:09 am
I fixed it all when i did the character sheet and i dont care about the stats matching race, being a rogue dwarf will be situationally hilarious
Jul 15, 2015 5:10 am
When I was young, I became a refugee among the ruins of the ancient dwarvish city . My parents were part of a small clan that fled one set of war-torn mountains for what little remained in the next. barely being able to suffice untill one day we stumbled across an abandond mountain with enough supplies to allow us to settle there. The clan scraped out a living among the ruins, restoring some of the mines to operation, and trading with the human village a short ways down the river.

I was enamored with the twisting passages, secret tunnels, and mechanical traps--some of which still worked. I spent my childhood seeking out the secret hiding places that held the previous dwarf-lords' treasures--and I found a few, which were promptly adopted as omens of good fortune for the re-born settlement among the ruins. For years upon years we thrived but the wealth and surplus was not all the mountain brought us for the evils of the world hunger for others success.

One day a dark terror,thursting for our gold, awoke beneath the mountain, laying waste to the bountiful city slaughtering everything in its path. Only three of us escaped ,though i am the only one who kept his sanity. The other two, gromble the transmuter and my close friend plopper, live tougether in a peaceful shire unburdened by the melevolent energy the world holds. No one knows what became of the mountain and no one dares to find out.

The time i spent as a child playing with the forgotten traps and weaving quietly around the lost dungeon helped forge me into who i am now. When the dark force took my home i swore vengance against any and all evil that threatened peace. I trained for years and now i am ready to reek havoc upon the twisted.
Jul 15, 2015 5:13 pm
Nice backstory! Come on in and join the game. I suppose you're walking into town, and you might just notice a halfling paladin with a big neon sign saying "STEALTH!" flashing above his head!
Jul 18, 2015 12:13 am
Is Darf part of the party or is he new in town? Did we already know him?

Edit: nevermind, found my answer
Last edited July 18, 2015 12:14 am
Aug 18, 2015 8:29 pm
Race: human (variant)

Rolls

STR - (4d6)

(6256) = 19

DEX - (4d6)

(1261) = 10

CON - (4d6)

(6145) = 16

INT - (4d6)

(2535) = 15

WIS - (4d6)

(6253) = 16

CHA - (4d6)

(1445) = 14

Aug 18, 2015 8:31 pm
Hmm...not bad. What class does the party need?
Aug 18, 2015 8:32 pm
We have a rogue, sorcerer, paladin, monk at the moment.
We're pretty well covered, so go wild, make something crazy!

Also, those are some seriously awesome stats. Nice rolls
Last edited August 18, 2015 8:33 pm
Aug 20, 2015 2:35 pm
My character is complete. Pending DM's approval. Can't wait to join the adventure!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/cc/c3/fc/ccc3fc341d06ec4ba914e3db21e5f914.jpg

Kaxaon, the Unchained

Level 1 Human (variant), Barbarian, Folk Hero background.

"I led an uprising of slaves. We broke our chains, hanged and burned our overlords, drew our names among their ashes, and sat our children on their thrones."

Trait: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Trait: Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
Ideal: Freedom. Tyrants must not be allowed to oppress the people.
Bond: A proud noble once gave me a horrible beating, and I will take my revenge on any bully I encounter.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.
Last edited August 20, 2015 2:55 pm
Aug 20, 2015 2:39 pm
Awesome, looking forward to having a meat shield to hide behind :)
Aug 20, 2015 3:17 pm
Cool character! I sense some synergy and friction coming up with Anrin! :-)
Aug 22, 2015 4:22 am
Thanks, guys! Looking forward to joining the adventure! It's happening anytime now, I think :-)
Aug 22, 2015 12:28 pm
Just waiting til they finish their short rest :)
Sep 7, 2015 3:16 pm
Thank you for accepting my application! I'm excited to play. I'm using my random character generation table to determine the rest of the character named Danj; I may have questions about options...depending on the rolls.

First roll is race; got a 15, so Danj is human. I generally prefer the stat bonus option to using feats for humans in D&D5, but please let me know if you'd rather I left the attributes alone and chose feats instead.

Now for the attributes.

STR: 11
INT: 12
WIS: 14
DEX: 12
CON: 15
CHR: 11

Next I'll roll a d12 for class. A 12, so Danj is a wizard. My two proficiencies are random; I'll roll those now. OK, Arcana and Investigation.

Next is the random variety of spells that my master deigned to grant me to write in my spell book. I'm going to roll those randomly, too. There are 16 cantrips, so a 3d6 roll will get me a range of 16 numbers (hopefully I won't have to reroll), 3-18 (so you subtract two from the result to get which cantrip you've rolled). Dancing Lights, Light, and Mending. Now for 1st level spells; I get six. There are 30 1st level wizard spells, which is a simple d30 roll six times. Awesome - no repeats! Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Thunderwave, Identify, Magic Missile, Feather Fall, Shield - an unusually lucky set of rolls for a combat-ready character!

Let's see what the really interesting stuff is - the background! There's 13 backgrounds in the PHB, so that's a 4d4 roll. A 10 - I was a hermit! Wonderful! Trait, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw all come next. Searching for spiritual enlightenment, I had an epiphany of a grand struggle between good and evil, and know that the forces of good have plans for me to thwart a tremendous evil. In my solitude, I was lonely, however, and while I have great empathy for others, my struggle is to not always seek companionship with others, and it's easy for me to be led astray by the whims of others. I remain tremendously curious about everything, and investigation is the only way to know and learn. I have an item that I carry with me (trinket), a set of pan pipes that I crafted from the thigh bones of various animals that I trapped and ate in my years of long solitude. I used these pipes to entertain myself, tootling happily away between bouts of scribbling notes about the natural world and the nature of the universe. No one else would recognize it as music, but it was soothing for him. He's accustomed to a wretched lifestyle. While wandering in the wilds, seeking spiritual enlightenment, he would occasionally meet other people: nomadic tribes, rangers, wanderers, vagabonds. But for a long time he was alone, and out of the habit of talking ... so out of practice, that the Hadaras tribe came to refer to his as "Grumble" because of Danj's habit of muttering to himself. One other person he met in the last few years was the prophet Tassergon, a mage with a gift for prophecy who'd been kicked out of magical society for his unpopular dark predictions. Danj took to visiting Tassergon on his rounds of the wild, as Tassergon had insights into Danj's spiritual journey. He ended up doing odd jobs for Tassergon, and his curiosity and helpfulness led Tassergon to try to teach him some small part of his craft. But now that time of his life is ended; Tassergon has helped him interpret his findings, which has convinced Danj to go forth and seek his destiny as a foe to evil back in society.

I won't put passive perception, initiative modifier, or AC yet, because there's the question of whether I will boost the attributes or use feats.
Last edited September 7, 2015 4:15 pm

Rolls

Race - (1d100)

(15) = 15

Strength - (4d6)

(3352) = 13

Intelligence - (4d6)

(1165) = 13

Wisdom - (4d6)

(3165) = 15

Dexterity - (4d6)

(3361) = 13

Constitution - (4d6)

(6623) = 17

Charisma - (4d6)

(1524) = 12

Class - (1d12)

(12) = 12

Proficiencies - (2d6)

(41) = 5

First Cantrip - (3d6)

(351) = 9

Second Cantrip - (3d6)

(114) = 6

Third Cantrip - (3d6)

(434) = 11

1st level 1 spell - (1d30)

(26) = 26

2nd level 1 spell - (1d30)

(28) = 28

3rd level 1 spell - (1d30)

(15) = 15

4th level 1 spell - (1d30)

(20) = 20

5th level 1 spell - (1d30)

(11) = 11

6th level 1 spell - (1d30)

(23) = 23

Background - (4d4)

(2134) = 10

Life of Seclusion - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Personality Traits - (2d8)

(46) = 10

Ideal - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Bond - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Flaw - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Trinket - (1d100)

(75) = 75

Sep 7, 2015 4:05 pm
Rolls involving multiple dice will put you on a bell curve, meaning it favours results in the middle. A 4d4 will come out 10 much more often than it comes out 4

On this forum, you can still roll 1d24 or 1d18 or whatever as you are not limited to real dice. Also be aware that you can separate with brackets on this forum, such as 1d30, 1d30, 1d30, 4d4.

Nice rolls, it could have come out disastrously!
Sep 7, 2015 4:17 pm
I'm accustomed to rolling actual dice, but I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you! Any preference, for human stat bonuses vs. feats?
Sep 7, 2015 5:58 pm
You can of course do either!
Dec 6, 2015 10:42 pm
I have made an edit to the character creation notes, allowing you to build characters with other methods but restricting you to human to compensate (non-variant).

Hopefully we will hear from our new players soon?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.