Pathfinder Second Edition

load previous
Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm
deadpool_qc says:
I didn't play much pathfinder not because it wasn't a good system but more because of the munchkini side of it (I include d&d 3.5 in it as well) that wasn't my preferred style of play. But I'm still curious as what will come out of pathfinder 2nd ed.
Linus says:
Also, what you call subclasses came across to me as a furthering of the archetype system that was already PF. In fact, I felt that D&D only added it because it was one of the most popular parts of PF.
I personally feel like the archetype and the subclasses systems are inspired by the ad&d 2nd edition kits.
I don't remember much about 2E kits. I remember doing most of my character creation ad hoc via the Skills & Powers book. It was like creating your own class every time you made a character. I liked it.
Mar 27, 2018 1:49 am
Interesting. Seems pretty similar to current rogue incarnations in a lot of ways (which is a solid thing, helps hold onto the class identity). I'm looking forward to when we get a chance to see a lot of the feat trees and such to figure out all the different ways that we can put people together.
Mar 27, 2018 3:19 am
I like that instead of just ramping up damage they also added feats that debuff enemies. I'm sure that adds a few customization options to the mix.
Mar 27, 2018 7:47 pm
I think the thing that interests me the most is:
Finally, we have made retraining a core part of the game, allowing you to trade out a feat, skill, or even class choice for another equal option. Retraining occurs during downtime, and can take as little as a week, giving you the flexibility to go on your next adventures with the right tools to succeed.
This makes me feel like we will be able to change our characters that we might have made a bad decision with early on in the game. Hopefully its not just a gimmick and can actually be used.
Last edited March 27, 2018 7:47 pm
Mar 27, 2018 8:36 pm
JoHoover says:
I think the thing that interests me the most is:
Finally, we have made retraining a core part of the game, allowing you to trade out a feat, skill, or even class choice for another equal option. Retraining occurs during downtime, and can take as little as a week, giving you the flexibility to go on your next adventures with the right tools to succeed.
This makes me feel like we will be able to change our characters that we might have made a bad decision with early on in the game. Hopefully its not just a gimmick and can actually be used.
That's already an option in Pathfinder 1e, but it's not in the core rules. I think it was added in Ultimate Campaign... Yep, here it is!
Mar 27, 2018 11:00 pm
I don't understand why it needs to be a part of the official rules. If your character is gimp, then talk to your DM and remake it. Why do you need official rules for something like that?
Mar 27, 2018 11:04 pm
Linus says:
I don't understand why it needs to be a part of the official rules. If your character is gimp, then talk to your DM and remake it. Why do you need official rules for something like that?
If that's the logic, why have rules at all? Having rules for it makes it consistent and fair across the board.
Mar 27, 2018 11:29 pm
The rules for character creation clearly would cover any redo actions that are required because a character is bad enough to justify "retraining" at all. I'm not sure why that implies not having rules at all. Rules for making a character, combat, dungeoneering, social situations, magic, and the rest are helpful when interacting with the game. If you don't want your character to pick locks anymore because you'd rather disable traps, then talk to your DM. If s/he agrees, then just swap it out.
Mar 28, 2018 3:35 am
I see a few things:

1) DMs that strictly adhere to RAW and won't allow players to do that which isn't written in the book.
2) With the increasing popularity of Pathfinder Society and similar structured 'drop in' games, if it's codified in the rulebook from the beginning, it standardizes how that can be managed when you play with a wide variety of DMs.
3) It adds depth to downtime activities, which seems to be a frequent request of players (what do I do when we aren't out adventuring?). Sure, DMs could offer this up on their own, but this helps guide it.
Mar 28, 2018 3:47 am
Retraining feats and skills goes back to 3.5. Hardly new, but always a GM option. Personally, I like characters to be able to change paths mid career, and the 3.5 prestige class system was unforgiving as written. With feats only every third level, PCs were often locked into paths.
Mar 28, 2018 12:26 pm
Ah. Clearly my perspective is biased as someone that doesn't play in sanctioned games like PFS. I can see where people that are in those games would require official rules for it given that it's not a set game with a set DM. Thanks for pointing that out Dramasailor.
Mar 28, 2018 12:55 pm
I agree, Linus, that it's not really necessary, but having it codified makes it easier to use and more consistent across the board without really adding much complexity to gameplay (retraining can be done between sessions or while others are doing different downtime things in town)
Mar 28, 2018 8:47 pm
I see what you mean.

Len

Mar 28, 2018 9:28 pm
Recently heard that PFS wasn't supported initially in the rules, and was more of an afterthought. I think organized play in game shops and conventions is a fantastic way to get players to play your game and buy your books, and this is something that Paizo can do better than Wizards. Adventurer's league is okay, but lots of people complain about the lack of support from the top, especially lacking support for the game stores that execute it. If Paizo can deliver a fantastic organized play experience, including a tight rules system that codifies good DMing practices and incentives for game stores, then look out WotC!

Ultimately, I hope the competition helps improve all organized play, no matter what the game system.
Mar 31, 2018 2:23 am
Interesting on the Crits. I like the system, but like many, wonder how the probability curve works with save or suck attacks (turn to stone, etc). Whole new paradigm, probably takes experience to judge.

Len

Mar 31, 2018 6:03 am
Not sure if this was already linked or not, but there is an audio recording of Paizo's Pathfinder 2nd Edition Seminar at GaryCon on the Plot Points podcast. 1.5 hours
Apr 2, 2018 10:27 pm
A blog post about goblins in Pathfinder 2e. A little bit of lore and flavor and then a small snippet that gives a preview of races and their design philosophy
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.