Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

Jun 22, 2018 1:11 am
For the next few weeks, the Sandpoint guard, with assistance from the party and Shalelu, comb the surrounding region in search of Nualia and Tsuto. After three fruitless weeks of searching, Sheriff Hemlock calls of the search, "Well, I guess there's nothing to be done about it now. We'll find out in time if she just ran or she has some nasty plan for us all..."

Weeks pass by and it warms up, transitioning from spring into summer. The villagers' fear of impending goblin invasion fades and the town is soon filled with vendors on the street, selling fresh fruits, vegetables, and foods of all kinds. Happy children run through the streets, making up games and generally getting in the way of the busy adults. It seems that peace has returned to Sandpoint at last, in no small part due to the actions of the party.
OOC:
I'll leave a chance here for you to roleplay your emotions and reactions to Nualia's disappearance and then we'll continue with Chaper 2!
Jun 26, 2018 12:16 am
Archibald, after learning all he can about Nualia's disappearance, leaves the jail and returns to his room, shooting a glare Ryco's way as he goes. Archie goes about his business after Sheriff Hemlock calls off the search, visiting surrounding villages and selling his wares.
[ +- ] Note for the GM

Rolls

Profession (Alchemist) Week 1 - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Jun 27, 2018 3:20 pm
Gongar helps Sheriff Hemlock as much as he is able with the search for Nualia but when its called off he still wonders if he did enough. He questions whether it was a good idea to let Ryco talk the girl down or if they should have just killed her when they found her. Its possible that she is still an unwilling pawn in whatever is going on but he seriously doubts it.

He returns to making beer and ale for the locals and continues to train with his hammers and whip.

Rolls

Profession (brewer) - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Jun 28, 2018 9:00 am
Shadow feels great guilt in supporting Nuala's innocence, which seems more unlikely than ever. She keeps an eye on Ryco, but spends more and more time alone, brooding.
Jun 28, 2018 10:32 pm
"Can't say I'm surprised, really." Sal comments to Archie. "Would've, uh... would've been nice if she was being authentic, but I guess that's not very likely now, huh?"
Jul 1, 2018 4:45 am
Urthask has better manners than to say "I told you so." In fact, he says very little of anything for the entire three weeks of searching for Nualia and Tsuto.
Jul 2, 2018 2:42 pm
Ryco's positive aura has since been shattered. He is rarely seen without some sort of alcoholic beverage in his hand. The times he is seen without something, is only because he is passed out and it fell out of his grip. Any attempt at communication with him seems to be fruitless and feels like talking to an empty wall. It's unknown which part has him upset but it isn't hard to tell that the Nualia situation has put him heavily down.
Jul 3, 2018 12:05 am
One night as you all sit around your customary table at the Rusty Dragon, Sheriff Hemlock enters the inn, face grim. His eyes instantly lock onto your table and he walks stiffly over and pulls up a chair, waving to one of the servers for a drink.

He sits silently for a few moments, leaning back in his chair and taking a long drink of his whiskey before speaking, "I... I'm afraid that I must ask for your help in a matter of some import..." he says, looking around to make sure no one is listening in to the conversation.
Jul 3, 2018 1:11 am
"Well certainly, Sherriff," Archibald replies as he requests a refill. "How can we be of assistance?"
Jul 3, 2018 2:05 pm
Did you find Nualia? You know my hammers are always at your disposal. Gongar seems concerned but excited that he might actually be able to help with something.
Jul 3, 2018 2:32 pm
Urthask nods wordlessly, his gaze intent on the troubled sheriff.
Jul 3, 2018 6:41 pm
The sheriff quickly drains the rest of his whiskey and begins his tale, "First, let me thank you again for all you've done for Sandpoint. It's fortunate you've proven yourselves so capable, because we've a problem I think you can help us with - a problem I wish I didn't have to involve anyone with, but one that needs dealing with now before the situation grows worse."

"Put simply, we have a murderer in our midst. One who, I fear, has only begun his work. Some of you doubtless remember the Late Unpleasantness, how this town nearly tore itself apart in fear as Chopper's slayings went on unanswered. I'm afraid we might have something similar brewing now."

"Last night, the murderer struck at the sawmill. There are two victims, and they're ... they're in pretty gruesome shape. The bodies were discovered by one of the mill workers, a man named lbor Thorn, and by the time my men and I arrived on the scene, a crowd of curious gawkers had already sprung up. I've got my men stationed there now, keeping the mill locked down, but the thing that bothers me isn't the fact that we have two dead bodies inside. It's the fact that this is actually the second set of murders we've had in the last few days."

"I come to you for help in this matter - my men are good, but they are also green. They were barely able to handle themselves against the goblins, and what we're facing now is an evil far worse than goblins. I need the help. But I'm afraid you'll need the help too. You see, I'm afraid that this particular murderer knows one of you as well."
Jul 3, 2018 6:48 pm
Urthask arches an eyebrow. "Knows one of us? What do you mean?"
Last edited July 3, 2018 6:48 pm
Jul 3, 2018 8:15 pm
At Urthask's prompting, Hemlock pulls a folded bloodstained parchment out from a pocket on the inside of his cloak. He hesitates for a moment before handing it to Urthask.

Looking at the parchment, Urthask can see that the outside has his name on it. Opening it, is a message:
[ +- ] Message
Jul 3, 2018 9:24 pm
Urthask stares at the parchment, reading the message over and over, and looking at his name in disbelief. At length, he drops it on the table in dismay. "I don't understand... what does it mean?!"
Jul 3, 2018 11:18 pm
Archibald picks up the note and looks it over, before quirking an eyebrow and looking at Urthask. "A ploy meant to divide us before we even start investigating? I highly doubt that our large and noble friend knows any of the people involved in this."

The little gnome finishes the mug of Gongar's brew he was sampling before continuing. "I'll head to the sawmill first thing tomorrow. I'd like to take a look at the scene myself and speak with this Thorn. With luck, perhaps we can shine some light on the subject and find the murderer before they strike again."
Jul 4, 2018 12:31 am
"I wonder if the point is not to cast suspicion on our friend in the eyes of the townsfolk. He seems the easiest target of your group due to his heritage," Hemlock says, taking another glass of whiskey from a serving girl.
Jul 4, 2018 12:51 am
Archie nods in agreement. "'Tis entirely possible. I suggest we keep this as quiet as possible, to avoid causing a panic toward you, Urthask."
Jul 4, 2018 5:32 am
"How many people already know of this...thing?" Urthask says, scowling at the parchment. "Is it still safe for me to be about? Safe for the townsfolk, I mean? If a panic has already brewing..." at a loss, Urthask leaves the question hanging.
Jul 4, 2018 5:39 am
Hemlock shakes his head, "Nothing to worry about there," he says, "Myself and another guard are the only ones who know so far. We don't plan on letting it spread any further."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.