Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

load previous
Jul 4, 2018 5:45 am
"Then I will go with you, Archibald. The sooner we get to the bottom of this, the better!"
Jul 4, 2018 9:22 am
Shadow's mouth is set in a line as she adds, "I will come too. I'm not letting you go down on a frame job."
Jul 9, 2018 3:38 pm
Gongar nods with Shadow Agreed, let us put this murderer in their proper place. He looks over at the drunk bard, Ryco, we could use your eyes and ears if you can sobber up long enough to use them. Sal? You in as well my fiery friend?
OOC:
The Sheriff Mentioned and incident called "Chopper's slayings" can you refresh my memory about that. I rolled a knowledge history in case it hasn't come up.
Last edited July 9, 2018 3:42 pm

Rolls

Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am
Gongar can remember the story of Chopper, having heard of it once, quite some years ago here in Sandpoint. The details are fuzzy, but the general story is well-known, though rarely discussed.

Years ago, a series of grisly murders began in Sandpoint, which went on for near to a month. 25 bodies were found, eyeballs and tongues removed, hands and feet stacked neatly near the mutilated torso. The sheriff at the time was unable to do anything about the killings until he found 'Chopper' in an alley, working on his 24th victim. The sheriff confronted him, but was killed before he could take the man down.

Fortunately, the battle with the sheriff had wounded Chopper and a group of guards, led by Hemlock himself, had tracked the man to a nearby island and found the tongues stacked on a sacrificial altar. They ended up killing Chopper, but the town hasn't forgotten the terror that they lived in at that time.
Jul 12, 2018 11:53 pm
Sal pipes up. "Uh, excuse me sir, but I, uh... what about the other murder? You- you said this was the second one?"
Last edited July 12, 2018 11:53 pm
Jul 13, 2018 9:14 pm
Hemlock nods grimly, "Indeed," he says, shaking his head sadly, "The first one was a trio of con-men from Galduria. They were murdered in a barn just outside of town. Their bodyguard survived the attack, but the ordeal drove him quite mad. He's been moved to Habe's Sanatorium, a place for the mentally damaged to have a respite from reality."
Jul 13, 2018 9:23 pm
"We don't really have a huge amount to go on with these most recent murders, but I can tell you all that I know..."

He goes on to give you the following information:
1. The victims are Banny Harker, a local mill operator, and Katrine Vinder, daughter of a successful merchant named Ven Vinder here in town. it seems that the two had been meeting there late at night for some 'extracurricular activities' for some time
2. Ibor Thorn, the mill worker who found the bodies, has already been interrogated and Hemlock suspects that he doesn't know anything about it.
3. Ven Vinder is the only suspect at this point, though Hemlock is certain he's innocent. The only motive he may have is anger at his daughter's 'virtue' being stolen by Harker.
4. There is a strange rune carved into the body of Harker that you'll recognize as the same one that was in Nualia's notes
Jul 16, 2018 8:47 pm
Hemlock leans back in his chair after he finishes relaying this information, giving you all a chance to take it in.
Jul 16, 2018 11:39 pm
"Has anyone checked that the bodyguard is still locked up?" Shadow asks, tapping her chin.
Jul 17, 2018 12:37 am
Archibald furrows his brow in thought when the sheriff mentions the symbol...
OOC:
Is it the same one that's on the medallion that he kept, and the one that was on her journal that was in Lyrie's notes?
Jul 17, 2018 12:42 am
irvanovich says:
Archibald furrows his brow in thought when the sheriff mentions the symbol...
OOC:
Is it the same one that's on the medallion that he kept, and the one that was on her journal that was in Lyrie's notes?
OOC:
Yep and yep
Jul 17, 2018 1:33 am
Archie grabs a pen and parchment and starts to sketch, drawing out the rune before blowing the ink dry and folding the paper closed. He passes the parchment to Hemlock and asks, "Sheriff, is this the symbol you saw on the body of the deceased? If so, I need to speak with Lyrie again, before she leaves for the magistrate. Her knowledge of Thassilonian lore could prove very useful in this case, because this rune," Archie gestures toward the parchment the sheriff is now unfolding, "is linked to the same ruins that Nualia had hired her to study. In addition, Nualia had a medallion with that very symbol on it. I do not know about you, but that is far too many coincidences for my tastes."
Jul 17, 2018 1:51 am
Though he is certain it will be ignored, Urthask is unable to resist shooting a glare in Ryco's direction as the connection to Nualia is revealed.
Jul 24, 2018 1:37 pm
Hemlock nods, "You can speak to her. Good timing, too, since the Magnimar guard is coming to get her for trial in just a couple of days."

Hemlock closes his eyes and leans back for a moment, taking a deep breath, "Well, I knew she wouldn't stay gone for long, though I was hoping that she wouldn't come back in this way..."

As Urthask glares at Ryco, the bard slams his drink down and staggers to his feet, "I've heard enough," he slurs as he tries to focus on Urthask, "I'm going out."

With that, he stumbles away from the table and out the door.
Jul 25, 2018 8:32 pm
Hemlock takes one more drink of his whiskey before setting it down, "Would you like to see the crime scene before you talk to Lyrie?"
Jul 26, 2018 1:11 am
Archie nods to Hemlock as he finishes his drink. "Aye, my friend. Let's take a look at the crime scene before I go to speak with Lyrie."

As Ryco leaves, Archie shakes his head sadly. That one has been affected more than he realizes by Nualia's trickery. She's made fools of us all, but she got him the worst of all. I hope he recovers soon.

"Please let me gather my equipment, and then I'll be ready to go."
Jul 26, 2018 4:51 pm
Aye, best to know what we are dealing with as soon as possible. Gongar follows Archi's gaze toward the bard and frowns. I don't think my brewing efforts have been good to that man. Maybe this tragedy will be enough to bring him out of his stupor.
Jul 26, 2018 6:44 pm
Hemlock rises from his seat and bids you to follow him. He leads you to the mill, located on the shore of the Turandarok River. The mill is a well-built wooden structure with thick walls, a wooden-shingled roof, and simple timber doors. A crowd is gathered outside, being held off by several of the town guard.

As you approach the crowd, the guards create a path for yourselves and the Sheriff to enter, and then go back to holding the crowd away from the scene of the crime. The Sheriff stops before opening the door and turns back to face you, "Brace yourselves... it isn't pretty."
OOC:
I'll make another post either today or tomorrow describing what you find inside. It may take a few minutes. If you'd like, you can each make a Heal, Perception, and Survival check. This will allow me to let you know immediately what you find in the mill
Jul 26, 2018 6:58 pm
OOC:
I have no ranks in Medicine (Heal?). Unsure if I can use untrained and if WIS modifier applies, so just rolled a straight d20.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Survival - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Medicine - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 26, 2018 7:32 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
I have no ranks in Medicine (Heal?). Unsure if I can use untrained and if WIS modifier applies, so just rolled a straight d20.
OOC:
Sorry! It's called Medicine in Starfinder, and that's what I've been looking at a lot more lately! I meant heal and have updated the original post
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.