Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

Jun 22, 2018 1:11 am
For the next few weeks, the Sandpoint guard, with assistance from the party and Shalelu, comb the surrounding region in search of Nualia and Tsuto. After three fruitless weeks of searching, Sheriff Hemlock calls of the search, "Well, I guess there's nothing to be done about it now. We'll find out in time if she just ran or she has some nasty plan for us all..."

Weeks pass by and it warms up, transitioning from spring into summer. The villagers' fear of impending goblin invasion fades and the town is soon filled with vendors on the street, selling fresh fruits, vegetables, and foods of all kinds. Happy children run through the streets, making up games and generally getting in the way of the busy adults. It seems that peace has returned to Sandpoint at last, in no small part due to the actions of the party.
OOC:
I'll leave a chance here for you to roleplay your emotions and reactions to Nualia's disappearance and then we'll continue with Chaper 2!
Jun 26, 2018 12:16 am
Archibald, after learning all he can about Nualia's disappearance, leaves the jail and returns to his room, shooting a glare Ryco's way as he goes. Archie goes about his business after Sheriff Hemlock calls off the search, visiting surrounding villages and selling his wares.
[ +- ] Note for the GM

Rolls

Profession (Alchemist) Week 1 - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Jun 27, 2018 3:20 pm
Gongar helps Sheriff Hemlock as much as he is able with the search for Nualia but when its called off he still wonders if he did enough. He questions whether it was a good idea to let Ryco talk the girl down or if they should have just killed her when they found her. Its possible that she is still an unwilling pawn in whatever is going on but he seriously doubts it.

He returns to making beer and ale for the locals and continues to train with his hammers and whip.

Rolls

Profession (brewer) - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Jun 28, 2018 9:00 am
Shadow feels great guilt in supporting Nuala's innocence, which seems more unlikely than ever. She keeps an eye on Ryco, but spends more and more time alone, brooding.
Jun 28, 2018 10:32 pm
"Can't say I'm surprised, really." Sal comments to Archie. "Would've, uh... would've been nice if she was being authentic, but I guess that's not very likely now, huh?"
Jul 1, 2018 4:45 am
Urthask has better manners than to say "I told you so." In fact, he says very little of anything for the entire three weeks of searching for Nualia and Tsuto.
Jul 2, 2018 2:42 pm
Ryco's positive aura has since been shattered. He is rarely seen without some sort of alcoholic beverage in his hand. The times he is seen without something, is only because he is passed out and it fell out of his grip. Any attempt at communication with him seems to be fruitless and feels like talking to an empty wall. It's unknown which part has him upset but it isn't hard to tell that the Nualia situation has put him heavily down.
Jul 3, 2018 12:05 am
One night as you all sit around your customary table at the Rusty Dragon, Sheriff Hemlock enters the inn, face grim. His eyes instantly lock onto your table and he walks stiffly over and pulls up a chair, waving to one of the servers for a drink.

He sits silently for a few moments, leaning back in his chair and taking a long drink of his whiskey before speaking, "I... I'm afraid that I must ask for your help in a matter of some import..." he says, looking around to make sure no one is listening in to the conversation.
Jul 3, 2018 1:11 am
"Well certainly, Sherriff," Archibald replies as he requests a refill. "How can we be of assistance?"
Jul 3, 2018 2:05 pm
Did you find Nualia? You know my hammers are always at your disposal. Gongar seems concerned but excited that he might actually be able to help with something.
Jul 3, 2018 2:32 pm
Urthask nods wordlessly, his gaze intent on the troubled sheriff.
Jul 3, 2018 6:41 pm
The sheriff quickly drains the rest of his whiskey and begins his tale, "First, let me thank you again for all you've done for Sandpoint. It's fortunate you've proven yourselves so capable, because we've a problem I think you can help us with - a problem I wish I didn't have to involve anyone with, but one that needs dealing with now before the situation grows worse."

"Put simply, we have a murderer in our midst. One who, I fear, has only begun his work. Some of you doubtless remember the Late Unpleasantness, how this town nearly tore itself apart in fear as Chopper's slayings went on unanswered. I'm afraid we might have something similar brewing now."

"Last night, the murderer struck at the sawmill. There are two victims, and they're ... they're in pretty gruesome shape. The bodies were discovered by one of the mill workers, a man named lbor Thorn, and by the time my men and I arrived on the scene, a crowd of curious gawkers had already sprung up. I've got my men stationed there now, keeping the mill locked down, but the thing that bothers me isn't the fact that we have two dead bodies inside. It's the fact that this is actually the second set of murders we've had in the last few days."

"I come to you for help in this matter - my men are good, but they are also green. They were barely able to handle themselves against the goblins, and what we're facing now is an evil far worse than goblins. I need the help. But I'm afraid you'll need the help too. You see, I'm afraid that this particular murderer knows one of you as well."
Jul 3, 2018 6:48 pm
Urthask arches an eyebrow. "Knows one of us? What do you mean?"
Last edited July 3, 2018 6:48 pm
Jul 3, 2018 8:15 pm
At Urthask's prompting, Hemlock pulls a folded bloodstained parchment out from a pocket on the inside of his cloak. He hesitates for a moment before handing it to Urthask.

Looking at the parchment, Urthask can see that the outside has his name on it. Opening it, is a message:
[ +- ] Message
Jul 3, 2018 9:24 pm
Urthask stares at the parchment, reading the message over and over, and looking at his name in disbelief. At length, he drops it on the table in dismay. "I don't understand... what does it mean?!"
Jul 3, 2018 11:18 pm
Archibald picks up the note and looks it over, before quirking an eyebrow and looking at Urthask. "A ploy meant to divide us before we even start investigating? I highly doubt that our large and noble friend knows any of the people involved in this."

The little gnome finishes the mug of Gongar's brew he was sampling before continuing. "I'll head to the sawmill first thing tomorrow. I'd like to take a look at the scene myself and speak with this Thorn. With luck, perhaps we can shine some light on the subject and find the murderer before they strike again."
Jul 4, 2018 12:31 am
"I wonder if the point is not to cast suspicion on our friend in the eyes of the townsfolk. He seems the easiest target of your group due to his heritage," Hemlock says, taking another glass of whiskey from a serving girl.
Jul 4, 2018 12:51 am
Archie nods in agreement. "'Tis entirely possible. I suggest we keep this as quiet as possible, to avoid causing a panic toward you, Urthask."
Jul 4, 2018 5:32 am
"How many people already know of this...thing?" Urthask says, scowling at the parchment. "Is it still safe for me to be about? Safe for the townsfolk, I mean? If a panic has already brewing..." at a loss, Urthask leaves the question hanging.
Jul 4, 2018 5:39 am
Hemlock shakes his head, "Nothing to worry about there," he says, "Myself and another guard are the only ones who know so far. We don't plan on letting it spread any further."
Jul 4, 2018 5:45 am
"Then I will go with you, Archibald. The sooner we get to the bottom of this, the better!"
Jul 4, 2018 9:22 am
Shadow's mouth is set in a line as she adds, "I will come too. I'm not letting you go down on a frame job."
Jul 9, 2018 3:38 pm
Gongar nods with Shadow Agreed, let us put this murderer in their proper place. He looks over at the drunk bard, Ryco, we could use your eyes and ears if you can sobber up long enough to use them. Sal? You in as well my fiery friend?
OOC:
The Sheriff Mentioned and incident called "Chopper's slayings" can you refresh my memory about that. I rolled a knowledge history in case it hasn't come up.
Last edited July 9, 2018 3:42 pm

Rolls

Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am
Gongar can remember the story of Chopper, having heard of it once, quite some years ago here in Sandpoint. The details are fuzzy, but the general story is well-known, though rarely discussed.

Years ago, a series of grisly murders began in Sandpoint, which went on for near to a month. 25 bodies were found, eyeballs and tongues removed, hands and feet stacked neatly near the mutilated torso. The sheriff at the time was unable to do anything about the killings until he found 'Chopper' in an alley, working on his 24th victim. The sheriff confronted him, but was killed before he could take the man down.

Fortunately, the battle with the sheriff had wounded Chopper and a group of guards, led by Hemlock himself, had tracked the man to a nearby island and found the tongues stacked on a sacrificial altar. They ended up killing Chopper, but the town hasn't forgotten the terror that they lived in at that time.
Jul 12, 2018 11:53 pm
Sal pipes up. "Uh, excuse me sir, but I, uh... what about the other murder? You- you said this was the second one?"
Last edited July 12, 2018 11:53 pm
Jul 13, 2018 9:14 pm
Hemlock nods grimly, "Indeed," he says, shaking his head sadly, "The first one was a trio of con-men from Galduria. They were murdered in a barn just outside of town. Their bodyguard survived the attack, but the ordeal drove him quite mad. He's been moved to Habe's Sanatorium, a place for the mentally damaged to have a respite from reality."
Jul 13, 2018 9:23 pm
"We don't really have a huge amount to go on with these most recent murders, but I can tell you all that I know..."

He goes on to give you the following information:
1. The victims are Banny Harker, a local mill operator, and Katrine Vinder, daughter of a successful merchant named Ven Vinder here in town. it seems that the two had been meeting there late at night for some 'extracurricular activities' for some time
2. Ibor Thorn, the mill worker who found the bodies, has already been interrogated and Hemlock suspects that he doesn't know anything about it.
3. Ven Vinder is the only suspect at this point, though Hemlock is certain he's innocent. The only motive he may have is anger at his daughter's 'virtue' being stolen by Harker.
4. There is a strange rune carved into the body of Harker that you'll recognize as the same one that was in Nualia's notes
Jul 16, 2018 8:47 pm
Hemlock leans back in his chair after he finishes relaying this information, giving you all a chance to take it in.
Jul 16, 2018 11:39 pm
"Has anyone checked that the bodyguard is still locked up?" Shadow asks, tapping her chin.
Jul 17, 2018 12:37 am
Archibald furrows his brow in thought when the sheriff mentions the symbol...
OOC:
Is it the same one that's on the medallion that he kept, and the one that was on her journal that was in Lyrie's notes?
Jul 17, 2018 12:42 am
irvanovich says:
Archibald furrows his brow in thought when the sheriff mentions the symbol...
OOC:
Is it the same one that's on the medallion that he kept, and the one that was on her journal that was in Lyrie's notes?
OOC:
Yep and yep
Jul 17, 2018 1:33 am
Archie grabs a pen and parchment and starts to sketch, drawing out the rune before blowing the ink dry and folding the paper closed. He passes the parchment to Hemlock and asks, "Sheriff, is this the symbol you saw on the body of the deceased? If so, I need to speak with Lyrie again, before she leaves for the magistrate. Her knowledge of Thassilonian lore could prove very useful in this case, because this rune," Archie gestures toward the parchment the sheriff is now unfolding, "is linked to the same ruins that Nualia had hired her to study. In addition, Nualia had a medallion with that very symbol on it. I do not know about you, but that is far too many coincidences for my tastes."
Jul 17, 2018 1:51 am
Though he is certain it will be ignored, Urthask is unable to resist shooting a glare in Ryco's direction as the connection to Nualia is revealed.
Jul 24, 2018 1:37 pm
Hemlock nods, "You can speak to her. Good timing, too, since the Magnimar guard is coming to get her for trial in just a couple of days."

Hemlock closes his eyes and leans back for a moment, taking a deep breath, "Well, I knew she wouldn't stay gone for long, though I was hoping that she wouldn't come back in this way..."

As Urthask glares at Ryco, the bard slams his drink down and staggers to his feet, "I've heard enough," he slurs as he tries to focus on Urthask, "I'm going out."

With that, he stumbles away from the table and out the door.
Jul 25, 2018 8:32 pm
Hemlock takes one more drink of his whiskey before setting it down, "Would you like to see the crime scene before you talk to Lyrie?"
Jul 26, 2018 1:11 am
Archie nods to Hemlock as he finishes his drink. "Aye, my friend. Let's take a look at the crime scene before I go to speak with Lyrie."

As Ryco leaves, Archie shakes his head sadly. That one has been affected more than he realizes by Nualia's trickery. She's made fools of us all, but she got him the worst of all. I hope he recovers soon.

"Please let me gather my equipment, and then I'll be ready to go."
Jul 26, 2018 4:51 pm
Aye, best to know what we are dealing with as soon as possible. Gongar follows Archi's gaze toward the bard and frowns. I don't think my brewing efforts have been good to that man. Maybe this tragedy will be enough to bring him out of his stupor.
Jul 26, 2018 6:44 pm
Hemlock rises from his seat and bids you to follow him. He leads you to the mill, located on the shore of the Turandarok River. The mill is a well-built wooden structure with thick walls, a wooden-shingled roof, and simple timber doors. A crowd is gathered outside, being held off by several of the town guard.

As you approach the crowd, the guards create a path for yourselves and the Sheriff to enter, and then go back to holding the crowd away from the scene of the crime. The Sheriff stops before opening the door and turns back to face you, "Brace yourselves... it isn't pretty."
OOC:
I'll make another post either today or tomorrow describing what you find inside. It may take a few minutes. If you'd like, you can each make a Heal, Perception, and Survival check. This will allow me to let you know immediately what you find in the mill
Jul 26, 2018 6:58 pm
OOC:
I have no ranks in Medicine (Heal?). Unsure if I can use untrained and if WIS modifier applies, so just rolled a straight d20.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Survival - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Medicine - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Jul 26, 2018 7:32 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
I have no ranks in Medicine (Heal?). Unsure if I can use untrained and if WIS modifier applies, so just rolled a straight d20.
OOC:
Sorry! It's called Medicine in Starfinder, and that's what I've been looking at a lot more lately! I meant heal and have updated the original post
Jul 27, 2018 12:57 pm
Death never is... Gongar says under his breath as he follows the Sheriff into the building.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Healing - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Perception - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm
Archie ties a cloth over his nose and mouth, ensuring a small mint leaf is crushed against it to overpower the smell of death in the room as he takes in the sights.

Rolls

Heal - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Perception - (1d20+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

Survival - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm
Shadow sets her mouth in a line as she follows her comrades inside.

Rolls

Heal - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Perception - (1d20+11)

(12) + 11 = 23

Survival - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Aug 1, 2018 2:37 pm
Entering the mill, you come upon a horrible scene. The floor of the mill is coated with sawdust intermixed with a large amount of blood. There are many foot prints in the sawdust, showing that a mighty struggle took place here. The smell inside the mill is horrible, smelling like rotting meat much too strongly for it to have come from the recently-deceased bodies.

Two mangled bodies occupy the room; one male and the other female. The horribly-mangled body of Katrine Vinder lies amid a heap of firewood on the floor below the log-splitter. It's quite clear that the woman was pushed into the log-splitter and suffered a horrible death.

Banny Harker's body is affixed to the wall by a number of hooks normally used to hang machinery. His face has been peeled off and his lower jaw is missing entirely. Carved into the bare chest of the man is the seven-pointed rune that's become all too common lately. Shadow's examination of the body reveals a number of claw marks, as though made by claws on a five-fingered, human-sized hand. These claw wounds stink strongly of the same rotting flesh stench that fills the whole building.

Embedded into the floor by the log splitter is a handaxe. Bloody finger marks are on the handle and the blade is caked with rotten flesh and fragments of bone. The blade of the axe smells even worse than the claw marks on the body. To Urthask, it smells like the rotten stench of some corporeal undead monstrosity.

Out on the pier where the timber is delivered from upriver, you find a set of muddy, barefoot footprints leading toward the mill's interior.
OOC:
Sorry for the delay on this! It was quite difficult to find the time to write such a long post where I had to reference the book a dozen times.
Aug 1, 2018 2:59 pm
Urthask studies the size and shape of the handprint on the axe and footprints on the pier to see if they might have been made by the same creature that clawed Banny Harker.
Aug 1, 2018 3:35 pm
Inspecting the handprints more closely, Urthask finds that the size of the handprint on the axe handle matches up with the hand of Katrine.
Aug 1, 2018 3:50 pm
"It looks like these people put up a fight, but they probably didn't stand a chance."

Urthask is loathe to subject Arktos to the powerful stench but he has the bear try to pick up a scent trail where the footprints begin.
Aug 2, 2018 10:02 pm
Shadow shares her findings, covering her nose and mouth with an arm to try and avoid gagging.
Aug 3, 2018 8:09 pm
The footprints lead to the edge of the pier and stop there. Your best guess would be that the person came from the marsh on the other side of the river.
Aug 4, 2018 1:15 am
"Once we're done looking for clues here I say we cross the river and track this murderer down.
Aug 4, 2018 3:39 am
Archie finishes his sketch of the symbol on the corpse's chest, and puts his formula book away. "Before we do, I would speak to Lyrie again. She may be able to tell us why this symbol is being carved into the corpse of man freshly murdered, and give us some insight. A far shot, admittedly, but her knowledge of Thassilonian lore is a resource we had best use whilst we still have it."

The little gnome adjusts the cloth he has tied across his nose, better positioning the mint leaf. "Or, if you like, I can speak with her alone while the rest of you investigate on the far side of the river. I'll be happy to meet back with you here. I do not want any leads we have found here to go cold..."
Aug 8, 2018 4:42 am
OOC:
Are you splitting up?
Aug 8, 2018 11:07 am
"I think we should stick together," Shadow suggests.
Aug 8, 2018 3:36 pm
I doubt we will be able to track whoever is responsible through the swamp unless arktos can pick up the scent of the undead, but its worth checking out. If we do manage to find them your skills would be sourly missed Archibald. Can the research wait until we are out of options on the other side of the river? Gongar looks to the gnome hoping that he will accompany the group across the river in search of the perpetrators.
Aug 10, 2018 12:45 am
Seeing the group consensus, Archibald nods in acquiesence. "Very well. Sheriff, please don't let the magistrate take her until I return! I'll not lose this lead!"
Aug 10, 2018 2:02 am
"I'll make sure she's still here when you get back," Hemlock assures the alchemist.

You are able to make it into the marsh on the other side and begin looking for any clues.
OOC:
Perception checks to see if you find anything!
Aug 10, 2018 7:08 am
While Urthask keeps a lookout for clues, Arktos starts sniffing around for the stench of the undead.

Rolls

Urthask Perception - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Arktos Perception - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm
Stay alert and don't stray to far from the group as we look around. Gongar warns the group as they start looking for the trail or any other clues.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Aug 10, 2018 10:48 pm
Shadow searches the ground and plants for signs of their quarry's passage.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(14) + 11 = 25

Aug 11, 2018 1:33 am
Archie searches the area for any clues that can help solve this mystery.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

Aug 12, 2018 2:36 pm
Shadow, after a short time searching, finally spots some tracks in a muddy patch of ground and it looks like a human footprint. Following it, you find that there are tracks leading into and out of the river. It appears that whoever did this knew well how to hide their path.
Aug 15, 2018 9:40 am
Shadow gestures to her companions, "Over here!" She follows the tracks and mutters quietly, "A clever one, are you?"
Aug 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Not finding anything of interest in his own search Gongar hustles over to Shadow when she calls and tries to aid her in the search for more foot prints.

Rolls

Aid (perception) - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Aug 15, 2018 4:04 pm
Urthask and Arktos join the others, careful not to obliterate any tracks.
Aug 17, 2018 11:48 pm
Aside from the footprints, there's not much else in the marsh that you are able to find.
OOC:
Where to next?

Other Leads:
1. Lyrie
2. Ibor Thorn (the one who came upon the scene first)
3. The bodyguard that survived the first attack
4. Other?
Aug 18, 2018 11:04 am
After the footprints fail to lead them further, Shadow suggests they return to speak to Lyrie, as Archie had questions for her.
Aug 20, 2018 7:15 pm
Heading back to the jail together, you see Lyrie lounging on the bed of her cell in pristine white garments. She stares silently at the ceiling, but a smile flits across her face when glances through the bars of the cell to see Archie and the rest of you.

"What can I help you with," she asks in a friendly manner, "Or did you all come here just to visit?"
Aug 21, 2018 1:29 am
Archie smiles sadly as he sees his academic friend. "I do wish this were a social call, my dear, but I'm afraid I need the insight of a more experienced mind."

The little gnome sighs. "There was a murder recently at the saw mill. The Sihedron Rune was carved into the chest of one of the bodies, and one of our party was mentioned in a note from the perpetrator claiming that they were doing it for them. With Nualia having escaped, we want to know if you can think of any reason the Rune would be carved into a body...any ritualistic reasoning behind it at all?"
Aug 22, 2018 5:32 pm
Lyrie sits up, eyes wide, "By Desna's light..." she whispers, shaking her head, "You don't think it could be Nualia, do you? I had so badly hoped that she had just fled to get away from imprisonment."
Aug 29, 2018 8:56 pm
"I can't think of any ritual purpose that rune could serve," Lyrie says, still visibly upset, "It is just the symbol of the seven virtues of Thassilon, which were later corrupted into the seven vices. Our knowledge of Thassilon is sparse, but none of my research has shown anything in regards to rituals involving the rune..."
Aug 31, 2018 6:52 pm
"I really am sorry that I don't know more," Lyrie laments, "So much of the lore of Thassilon has been lost. I hope to be able to piece as much of it together as I can someday, but as of right now..."
OOC:
Oh no! Dead end. It seems that Lyrie doesn't know anything specific on this.

Other options:
1. Ibor Thorn (the one who came upon the scene first)
2. The bodyguard that survived the first attack
3. Other?
Sep 4, 2018 2:27 pm
Looking at his companions to see if anyone has any other questions for Lyrie and not seeing any, Gongar suggest they talk with the body guard, It might be prudent to talk with the man who survived the attacks next. The killer might try and finish their work before we can talk with him...
Sep 4, 2018 3:35 pm
"Agreed."
Last edited September 5, 2018 4:45 pm
Sep 4, 2018 5:56 pm
Satisfied with what little information Lyrie was able to provider, you head to the sanatorium, where the only living victim of the horrible first murders is being taken care of. On your way out of the jail, you are presented with a letter of introduction written by the sheriff. "The sheriff said that this letter should get you in to see the 'patient'," the guard says as he hands over the letter.

The squat, stone building that serves as the sanatorium has three floors under a stout, stone-flagged roof, and is built in the lee of the limestone escarpment known as Ashen Rise. The whole building is pristine and well-maintained. The walls are all scrubbed, even those on the outside, and dotted with small windows all around, each no more than four inches wide. The windows are wide enough to allow good air flow, but not so wide as to allow the mentally deranged within to get out.

As you climb the steps to the veranda, the boards creak loudly underfoot, but seem sturdy enough. There are two apparent entrances into the building. One appears to be an employee entrance, while the larger one seems to be for visitors.
Sep 10, 2018 2:16 pm
Seeing her companions hesitate, Shadow heads for the visitor entrance.
Sep 10, 2018 4:47 pm
The door opens easily on its well-oiled hinges. This room contains a desk and three chairs - two to the west, one to the east. A cord hangs from a hole in the southern wall above a sign that reads, "Ring for service."
Sep 10, 2018 7:06 pm
Urthask rings the bell smartly and clears his throat.
Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm
A few minutes after ringing the bell, a small, mousy man moves into the room from the door to the south. He looks very irritable and immediately snaps, "What do you need? Can't you see that I'm quite busy?"
Sep 12, 2018 12:18 pm
Without a word, Urthask presents the letter from the sherriff.
Sep 12, 2018 1:03 pm
As he reads the letter, the man sighs, "Well, nothing to be done about it, I suppose..." he says, shrugging and opening the door to the south. This L-shaped room is clean, just like everywhere else, and contains three long tables with bench seats on either side. He motions for you to take a seat, "My name is Erin Habe," he says, introducing himself with a slight bow, before continuing with a slight tremble in his voice, "Forgive my rudeness earlier. I don't often get visitors and I was in the thrall of an absolutely thrilling novel."

There are three doors on the wall to your right as well as two at the opposite end of the room. The room is quite long and turns to the right at the opposite end. Habe heads to the other side of the room and opens to the right-most door on the southern wall, closing it behind him and heading up the stairs within.
OOC:
Anything you'd like to do before he comes back?
Sep 14, 2018 12:16 pm
OOC:
I can't think of anything.
Sep 14, 2018 5:58 pm
After several minutes of waiting, you hear footsteps approaching down the stairs. Moments later, the door opens back up and Habe steps out, holding the arm of a tall, sickly looking man in a straightjacket. The man's skin is pale and looks gangrenous, his hair is
wild, and eyes milky white.

He shuffles in slowly behind Habe, who directs him to a chair where he eventually sits down, head lolling and eyes unfocused.

"This is Grayst. As you can see, he is not well," Habe says, "He's sick and nothing we've tried has worked to heal the man of it. I think that his mind is too far gone that his spirit just no longer accepts the healing magic. Feel free to try to get through to him, though."
OOC:
If you're trained in Heal, feel free to roll me a check to see if you can figure out what's wrong with him
Map
Sep 17, 2018 3:29 pm
Gongar is taken aback by how bad the man looks. If he didn't know any better he would have thought the other man had escorted a zombie into the room. Cautiously approaching the very sick man he will try and ascertain what is afflicting the guard.

Rolls

Healing - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Sep 17, 2018 6:46 pm
Gongar can tell that the man is clearly very close to death at this point. His skin sags and he wobbles unsteadily even as he sits. Hearing movement, he looks up and around at your group.

As his vision move across Urthask, his eyes bulge and he gasps, "He said. He said you would visit me. His Lordship. The one that unmade me said so. He has a place for you. A precious place. I'm so jealous. He has a message for you. He made me remember it. I hope I haven't forgotten. The master wouldn't approve if I forgot. Let me see ... let ... me ... see ... "

He begins to sweat as he grabs his head, trying to remember, before blurting out, "The master said that the bodies you are finding are signs and portents, that when he is done, you shall be remembered forever and the Misgivings shall be your throne!"

Habe's eyes widen and he looks very confused as he moves to the seated patient, "Oh my, I'm so sorry. I had no idea he would react this way. He has barely said a word since he got here... I... I'm so sorry!" he stammers as he tries to calm the very agitated patient.

Rolls

Gongar Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Shadow Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Sep 17, 2018 6:49 pm
As the man speaks, the word "Misgivings" sparks Gongar's memory. As he listens, he remembers hearing stories about the Misgiving, an abandoned estate to the south called Foxglove Manor... But isn't Foxglove the last name of the noble they rescued during the initial goblin attack?

A few moments after speaking, Grayst suddenly collapses to the floor, moaning softly. Habe bends down and checks him over, "I think this was all too much for him. I'd best get him back to his room."
Sep 22, 2018 5:51 pm
"Well that was...disturbing," Shadow says wryly. "Where to next? The witness?"
Sep 23, 2018 7:44 am
Urthask looks long and hard at the man as he is led away. The half-rc clenches and unclenches his fists."I still don't understand how I've become implicated in all this. Who could this master be, and what do they want with me?"
Sep 24, 2018 5:34 pm
"Misgivings" is another name for Foxglove manner that belongs to the nobleman we rescued at the festival. That can't be a coincidence in my opinion. Turning to his friend Urthask, We know you have nothing to do with these killings Urhtask, and the faster we find the person responsible the faster your sward and my hammer can give them a proper send off the the next realm.
Sep 24, 2018 6:03 pm
OOC:
Do you want to wait for Habe to return? Or do you want to do something else now?
Sep 24, 2018 6:21 pm
OOC:
did we get the sense he might have some further information? Maybe its my interpretation of your description of him but he sounded like an airhead to me so I don't know how much use sticking around would be.
Sep 24, 2018 6:29 pm
OOC:
He seems... distracted and annoyed by your presence. It could be the stress of his work or it could be something else altogether.
Sep 24, 2018 8:13 pm
OOC:
Gotta admit I haven't got a clue here.
Sep 24, 2018 8:19 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
Gotta admit I haven't got a clue here.
OOC:
You really aren't supposed to have much idea at this point!

What you know so far:
1. There's been a series of murders in the area, all involving the seven-pointed star that you saw among Nualia's followers
2. The murderer seems to have some knowledge of Urthask and appears to be trying to frame him
3. This Grayst person has mentioned the "Misgivings", which appears to be linked to Aldern Foxglove, the man you saved from the goblins in the initial attack and then went boar hunting with
Sep 24, 2018 11:29 pm
"Did that Habe fellow seem unusually unfriendly? Maybe we should find out if there's other odd things going on around here. Maybe this fellow isn't the only one that's 11 loaves short of a dozen."
Sep 25, 2018 1:34 pm
OOC:
If you want to go check something out, let me know. I'll link the map here so you can see options
Map
Sep 28, 2018 1:52 pm
As you sit and consider your options, your noses picks up the scent of rotten meat.
Sep 28, 2018 2:34 pm
"Do you smell that?" Urthask draws his sword. "The murderer is here. Or was here recently."
Sep 28, 2018 4:26 pm
That can't be good, Quickly see where its coming from!
OOC:
Gongar moves around the room trying to identify the source of the smell.

Rolls

Perception (Smelling) - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm
Shadow does the same.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(6) + 11 = 17

Oct 1, 2018 8:54 pm
You are able to determine that the smell is coming from behind the door that Habe did not take (to go up to the second floor) on the south wall.
Oct 1, 2018 11:22 pm
Shadow tries the door, giving a nervous glance at her companions as she does so.
Oct 1, 2018 11:34 pm
The door opens and reveals stairs leading downward... The smell is stronger within.
Oct 2, 2018 5:54 am
OOC:
How wide are the stairs? Can two walk abreast? I don't suppose Arktos can fit in here?
Oct 2, 2018 12:08 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
How wide are the stairs? Can two walk abreast? I don't suppose Arktos can fit in here?
OOC:
5 ft wide, so one at a time. Arktos can squeeze through if you want to bring him.
Oct 2, 2018 4:27 pm
Gongar draws his hammer and whip and descends the staircase with his companions.
Oct 2, 2018 6:50 pm
Urthask leads the way.
OOC:
Leaving Arktos.
Oct 4, 2018 1:12 am
As you descend the stairs, the smell becomes stronger. Reaching the bottom, the smell only gets stronger and you find yourselves in the cellar. In front of you is a large room with two tables in the center. On the nearest table is what appears to be a body under a sheet. It looks like an alchemist's lab down here, with a number of vials and other instruments scattered about. Beside the next table is a tall man in a blood-stained white jacket poking at a human corpse.

When you get to the bottom, he shouts, "Agh! You do-gooders must be here to stop me!" he says in a high-pitched voice, "Minions, attack!"

With that, zombies begin shuffling out of the room on the right.

Map
OOC:
Initiative order:
Necromancer
Party
Zombies
Oct 4, 2018 1:13 am
Round One: Necromancer
The man launches immediately into spell-casting. As he completes his spell, his form becomes very blurred and he's incredibly hard to see.
[ +- ] Enemies - AC/Touch/Flat-footed
OOC:
Your turn!
Oct 4, 2018 3:05 pm
OOC:
I really want Archie or Sal to head in first with a splash weapon then the rest of us can move in on the front line.
Oct 4, 2018 3:28 pm
OOC:
Urthask is about to charge but I can absolutely imagine the gnomes being much quicker on the draw than the big guys.
Oct 4, 2018 3:32 pm
Round One: Archie
Archie ducks out from behind Urthask and tosses a bomb at Z2. It strikes the zombie in the chest and explodes, sending waves of flame over the horde of zombies.
OOC:
Remaining: Urthask, Gongar, Shadow, Salzabar

Rolls

Bomb attack/Damage - (1d20+5, 2d6+3)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

2d6+3 : (13) + 3 = 7

Oct 4, 2018 6:49 pm
OOC:
Given the room's layout, looks like I don't have enough space for a mechanical charge. Moving to AB10, Power Attack vs. Z1.
Urthask stomps into the room and begins carving a path through the zombies to get at the necromancer.
OOC:
Narratively, wanted to do an Overrun maneuver but those maneuver rules are convolutedas heck!

Rolls

+1 Bastard Sword Power Attack, damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+10)

1d20+7 : (16) + 7 = 23

1d10+10 : (3) + 10 = 13

Oct 5, 2018 1:49 pm
Gongar swiftly follows the big half-orc into the room moving past him as he sees the first zombie fall the his sword. He lashes out with his whip at the necromancer trying to trip him up in his next spell and bashes the second zombie with his warhammer.

Rolls

Necromancer trip and mischance - (1d20+5, 1d100)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d100 : (50) = 50

Zombie attack, regular damage, cold damage - (1d20+6, 1d8+5, 1d6)

1d20+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

1d8+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

1d6 : (6) = 6

Oct 5, 2018 7:02 pm
Round One: Gongar and Urthask
Urthask charges down the stairs and slashes the head right off of Z1. The lifeless corpse falls to the floor and is finally still.

Gongar moves up beside him and lashes out at the necromancer with his whip. He thinks he's on target, but his whip hits nothing but air! Turning his attention to the zombie, Gongar swings his hammer, but barely misses as the failure of his whip messes up his aim.
OOC:
Remaining: Shadow, Salzabar
Oct 5, 2018 11:36 pm
Shadow moves to the corner of the room and draws her shortbow, taking aim at the necromancer.

Rolls

shortbow to hit - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

miss chance (1=miss, 2=hit) - (1d2)

(1) = 1

Oct 6, 2018 12:01 am
Round One: Shadow
Shadow launches an arrow that appears to be flying true, but it passes through the blurred form of the necromancer and shatters against the wall.
OOC:
Going to ignore Salzabar. I don't know enough about Oracles to run one, so he'll be in the background for now

Enemy Turn!
Oct 6, 2018 12:11 am
Round One: Zombies
Z3 and Z4 shamble out of the side room to defend their master.
OOC:
They both had to pass through Gongar's threatened area, so he can take an AoO on one of them
Z2 clubs at Urthask with its arms, groaning softly as it does so. It hits the cavalier in the side of the head, causing him to see stars (Nat 20 vs AC. Damage: 10 bludgeoning)
Map
Oct 6, 2018 12:14 am
Round Two: Necromancer
The necromancer growls, "Die, fools!" he says as you feel a wave of negative energy washing over you and sapping your strength.
OOC:
Everyone: DC 13 Will save or take 12 negative energy damage. Take 6 on a successful save.
Map
OOC:
Your turn!
Oct 8, 2018 3:50 pm
Fustrated with his inability to hit his first two targets Gongar unleashes his warhammer as the zombies try to move past him. Then tries again to trip up the casting necromancer.
OOC:
Sorry didn't mark it in the rolls but the only zombie I can attack with my whip on the necro is Z2.
Last edited October 8, 2018 3:52 pm

Rolls

AoO Z3 (attack, dam, cold) - (1d20+10, 1d8+5, 1d6)

1d20+10 : (16) + 10 = 26

1d8+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d6 : (5) = 5

Whip (Trip) (mischance) - (1d20+5, 1d100)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d100 : (73) = 73

Hammer Attack - (1d20+6, 1d8+5, 1d6)

1d20+6 : (18) + 6 = 24

1d8+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

Oct 9, 2018 5:14 am
Naatkinson says:
Everyone: DC 13 Will save or take 12 negative energy damage. Take 6 on a successful save.
Urthask feels a coldness grip his heart, but it only adds fuel to his fury.
Last edited October 9, 2018 5:15 am

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Oct 9, 2018 9:24 pm
OOC:
Sorry, I knew I was going to forget that.

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 10, 2018 11:33 am
Urthask presses forward with a bestial roar.

Rolls

+1 Bastard Sword Power Attack vs Z4, damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+10)

1d20+7 : (8) + 7 = 15

1d10+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

Oct 10, 2018 4:45 pm
Round Two: Urthask, Gongar
Gongar smashes Z3 with his hammer as it approaches, dropping it with a crushes skull. Lashing out with his whip, it wraps around the ankles of the necromancer. With a tug, he pulls the man off of his feet and he falls to the ground with a heavy thud. His enemy down, he smashes Z2 to the ground as well.

Urthask swings his sword and cleaves Z4 in half, leaving only the necromancer standing.
Map
Oct 11, 2018 9:25 am
Shadow shudders as the cold energy washes over her. Frustrated at her inability to strike the magic wielder, she turns her attention to one of the zombies fighting her friends.

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

bow attack, damage - (1d20+7, 1d4)

1d20+7 : (13) + 7 = 20

1d4 : (2) = 2

sneak attack damage? - (2d6)

(32) = 5

Oct 11, 2018 10:22 pm
Round Two: Shadow
Aiming at the zombies, Shadow sees them all fall, so she turns her bow on the necromancer's prone form. She releases her arrow and strikes the prone man in the thigh.
OOC:
The zombies are all dead :)
Being prone doesn't give a prone target the flat-footed condition, so it won't be a sneak attack
Map
OOC:
Enemy turn next!
Oct 11, 2018 11:24 pm
OOC:
My bad...didn't refresh the page and big gap between reading and posting! Sorry about that. Thanks for retconning what I should have aimed at.
Oct 12, 2018 12:30 am
Round Three: Necromancer
The necromancer staggers to his feet angrily and begins weaving a spell. When he completes it, a cloud of thick noxious fog appears within the room (centered on SC on map)
[ +- ] Stinking Cloud
[ +- ] Fog Cloud
OOC:
Everyone needs to make a DC 17 Fort save or be nauseated for 1d4+1 rds
You also can no longer see further than 5 ft away
[ +- ] Nauseated
Map
OOC:
Your turn!
Oct 12, 2018 3:06 pm
OOC:
I have mixed feeling about whether to kill him or try and take him alive for questioning.
Gongar drops his whip and draws his second hammer on the way over to the necromancer growling and trying not to breath the fumes as he goes.

Rolls

Fort Save - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Frost Hammer (attack, damage, cold dmg, mischance) - (1d20+6, 1d8+5, 1d6, 1d100)

1d20+6 : (19) + 6 = 25

1d8+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d100 : (59) = 59

Cold iron hammer (attack, damage, mischance) - (1d20+4, 1d8+3, 1d100)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d8+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

1d100 : (72) = 72

Oct 12, 2018 7:05 pm

Rolls

Fortitude save - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Oct 14, 2018 9:18 am
Shadow stows her bow and draws her rapier, slowly heading toward where she last saw the necromancer, trying to hold back the bile that threatens to rise up her throat.
Last edited October 14, 2018 9:19 am

Rolls

Fort save - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Oct 14, 2018 11:14 am
Urthask strides over, sheathing his sword on the way, and grabs the necromancer by the throat.

Rolls

Grapple - (1d20+8)

(15) + 8 = 23

Oct 14, 2018 6:20 pm
Whew! Sorry for the extended absence. Life got really busy, and this honestly just dropped off my radar entirely. First things first, let's do those saving throws:

Edit: Yikes; 12 negative energy damage it is. Nauseated roll next:
Last edited October 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Rolls

Will Save - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Fortitude save - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

nausea - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Oct 14, 2018 6:30 pm
Salzibar, a little shaken up by the sight of the butchered bodies earlier and a bit frightened by this whole ordeal thus far, has been standing at the foot of the staircase, peeking around the corner to observe the combat. However, as he's hit by both the negative energy wave and inhales the stinking cloud, he doubles over in pain, one hand against the wall, the other clutching at this stomach, fighting the urge to retch.

HP: 18/30
Last edited October 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Oct 16, 2018 1:10 am
Round Three: Party
Gongar, able to avoid the sickness caused by the cloud, charges the necromancer, striking him in the stomach and then in the side in rapid succession.

Urthask, stumbling out of the cloud, grabs hold of the necromancer by his neck and sticks his tusked face right up against the human's, who stops struggling immediately, "Please don't kill me!"
OOC:
Everyone still within the cloud needs to make a DC 17 Fort save or be nauseated while in the cloud and for 1d4+1 rds after leaving it
You also can no longer see further than 5 ft away
Map
OOC:
Combat over!
Oct 16, 2018 11:27 pm
Salzibar fails to keep his gag reflex in check and vomits all over the floor.
Oct 17, 2018 8:49 am
Still holding the necromancer by the neck, Urthask lifts the man up and slams him angrily against the wall. "You and your abominations murdered all those people! Why should I spare your pathetic life?"
Oct 17, 2018 12:37 pm
The man looks panicked, "I didn't kill anyone, I swear! These men were already dead when I animated them!"
Oct 17, 2018 12:49 pm
"Then you sent them to commit your murders for you! The mill had your stench all over it!"
Oct 17, 2018 12:54 pm
The man begins to sob, "No, I swear, I didn't order anyone killed," he manages to get out.
Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm
"Then I suppose these zombies cook you dinner and wash your clothes, eh? Don't lie to me or I'll feed you to my bear!"
Oct 17, 2018 1:06 pm
OOC:
You can roll insight to see if you can get a read on him
"It's just a hobby," he says, "Something to keep my busy. It's... interesting!"
Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm
As far as Urthask can tell, the man has no idea about any murders. He looks 100% confused
Oct 17, 2018 1:52 pm
Urthask releases the man, but continues to loom menacingly over him. "Perhaps you're telling the truth, but you still attacked my friends and I with your minions, so you're not getting off easy. Start by telling us who you are and what you're doing here."
Oct 17, 2018 2:55 pm
The man sighs, slightly relieves that he's been let go, "Caizarlu Zerren is my name," he says, "I swear to you that I've killed no one. I merely take the already-dead corpses of Habe's patients and use them to advance my arts."
Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm
Urthask's bile rises at what he sees as a desecration of the dead but he reins in his anger. "Why did you attack us then?"
Oct 17, 2018 3:33 pm
"Pre-emptive strike," the man says simply, "I highly doubt you'd have left me to my business even if I'd let you walk away."
Oct 17, 2018 3:50 pm
"Does Habe know what you do here? Does the sheriff?! Never mind. This is what you're going to do for us: you're going to help us get to the bottom of these murders. Tell me: if not you, then who left the stink of undeath at the latest murder scene?"
Last edited October 21, 2018 3:48 pm
Oct 18, 2018 2:26 pm
Gongar stands next to his friend as he interrogates the necromancer, with his hammers still in his hands. He is troubled by the man's apparent lack of any remorse for the evil's he has performed and still wonders if killing him might be the best option.
Oct 21, 2018 4:15 am
Salzabar stands up a little bit, still feeling sick.

"Hey, uh.... if we're just gonna talk, c-could, could we take this upstairs, maybe?" He asks, putting one hand over his face to both cover his nose and wipe at his mouth.
Oct 22, 2018 2:04 pm
"I don't know anything about any murders, I swear!" he says, "What do you need me to do?"
Oct 22, 2018 2:58 pm
"Alright, everyone get upstairs. You too...what is your name anyway? Caizarlu!"

As the group moves: "Have you any idea who else might be messing about with necromancy in the area? Or here's a thought: have any of your...creations ever gone missing?"
Last edited October 22, 2018 3:28 pm
Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm
OOC:
Name was already given :P
As you walk back up the stairs, the necromancer responds, "I've heard... rumors. Ghouls spotted in the farms nearby. I don't know that there's any truth to the rumors, though."

As you reach the top of the stairs, Habe sees your group and the necromancer and his face goes pale white. With a squeak, he turns and begins bolting for the door.
Oct 22, 2018 4:40 pm
OOC:
Sorry changing my post because I didn't refresh
Gongar grabs his whip off the floor and strings it on his belt with his hammers as the group leads the necro up the stairs. When he see's the attendant bolt for the door he immediately gives chase, grabbing his whip from his belt and lashing out trying to trip him up.
Last edited October 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Rolls

Whip (Trip) - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Oct 22, 2018 4:46 pm
Urthask whistles sharply, and in response Arktos moves to menace the man trying escape out the front door.
Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm
As Habe nears the door, Gongar's whip wraps around his ankle and he falls to the ground. When he looks up, he sees Arktos growling in his face and faints on the spot.
Oct 23, 2018 3:12 pm
Caizarlu shakes his head with disgust, "Pathetic..." he mutters.
Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm
"I'll feed you both to the bear if you don't march yourselves to the sheriff right now and tell him all about your little hobby," Urthask growls. Arktos hasn't fed all day."
Oct 24, 2018 1:04 am
OOC:
Are you going to take them both their yourself?
Oct 24, 2018 3:42 am
Gongar re-wraps his whip nodding to Urthask, These two look a bit stringy for a proper meal. He bends over an hoists the unconscious man on his shoulder. Let's go then, the sheriff will have a nice cozy cell waiting for you and you can answer our questions there.
Oct 25, 2018 4:22 am
"Oh yeah..." Salzibar mutters to himself as they move.

"Hey, so, uh... g-great job back there, uh, everyone. Does, uh... does anyone need some... healing?" He asks, taking out his wand of Cure Light Wounds and smiling nervously.
Last edited October 25, 2018 4:22 am
Oct 29, 2018 2:23 pm
Gongar looks to Salzabar, The healing would be greatly appreciated Master Salzabar.
Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm
When you arrive at the jail, you find Hemlock sitting in his chair, rubbing his temples. On the floor just beside the desk, almost hidden from view is a half-empty bottle of whiskey. He doesn't look up as you enter, and his voice sounds tired, "What is it?"
Nov 1, 2018 2:22 pm
Belor, my friend, unfortunately we have another puzzle to solve. We captured a necromamcer who was 'working' at the sanatorium and it seems like Hebe was cooperating with him. We destroyed all of the undead the necro had raised but he might have raised more elsewhere. Gongar unceremoniously drops Hebe on the floor at Belor's desk, Do you have enough cells to keep these two locked up? Do you have anything to silence the necromancer so he can't get up to any more funny business?
Nov 1, 2018 7:27 pm
Belor looks up in surprise at hearing Gongar's voice, then is even more shocked to see Habe and the necromancer, "This just keeps getting worse, doesn't it?" he asks with a sigh, "Regardless, you've done excellent work and we'll secure the spellcaster immediately. Did you gather any evidence from the sanatorium?"
Nov 2, 2018 12:58 pm
"We're not sure. The survivor has gone mad, so we couldn't glean anything from him. The murder scene reeked of undeath, much like this one does," Urthask growls, pointing atCaizarlu "but he insists he knows nothing of the killings."
Nov 3, 2018 8:16 pm
OOC:
Hey, so... I actually realized I have no idea how using wands works hahaha
Nov 5, 2018 4:09 pm
A few guards come in with a gag and special manacles that enclose the hands to prevent spellcasting. The necromancer sighs before being led away and Habe is just now waking up.

"Why don't you take the rest of the day off?" the sheriff suggests, "I'll have some of my men head over to the sanatorium to look for any additional clues."
OOC:
To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for non-humanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.
Nov 7, 2018 2:10 pm
OOC:
Do you plan on resting as the sheriff suggests, or would you rather do something else?
Nov 9, 2018 6:06 am
OOC:
Do I not have to do a use magic device roll or anything? Just point it at someone and expend one use?
Nov 9, 2018 2:44 pm
thedandyman says:
OOC:
Do I not have to do a use magic device roll or anything? Just point it at someone and expend one use?
OOC:
If I remember correctly, you don't need to make any checks if the spell is on your class' spell list. If it's not, then you'd have to make a Use Magic Device check to activate it
Nov 9, 2018 5:37 pm
OOC:
I'm down to rest and heal back up and then see what Belor can tell us in the morning.
Nov 10, 2018 6:25 pm
The next morning, you all arrive back at the sheriff's office and he looks even more exhausted than yesterday. He's reading through a leatherbound book on his desk when you arrive. Looking up, he waves you in, "Come here and look at this..." he says, pushing the book toward you, "It's Caizarlu's journal."
[ +- ] Notable Journal Entries
Nov 10, 2018 6:42 pm
Urthask wrinkles his nose in disgust at the necromancer's macabre notes. "Well it looks like our best chance of finding where these ghouls are coming from is to head back out to the farms."

Peering at the sheriff, Urthask wonders what is troubling the man. Besides the murders, of course! "Say, are youquite alright, sherriff?"

Rolls

Sense Motive if needed - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Nov 12, 2018 12:38 am
OOC:
Was Grayst the dude who survived the attack, that we went to visit?
Nov 12, 2018 1:58 am
marithyme says:
OOC:
Was Grayst the dude who survived the attack, that we went to visit?
OOC:
Yeah, he sure is. The one that freaked out and spoke to Urthask
Nov 12, 2018 4:54 pm
Hemlock sighs and nods in response to Urthask's question, "Just tired is all. So much going on these past few months," he assures the half orc, "I'll be fine, though."
Nov 12, 2018 5:11 pm
After reading the entries in the journal Gongar turns to Belor "If the man has indeed contracted Ghoul fever is there anything to be done for him? Is there anyone else that might have contracted the fever now that we know there have been several cases?"
Nov 13, 2018 4:06 pm
"I have Father Zantus and Malik looking into a cure for the ghoul fever," Belor says, and then shrugs, "As far as more people catching the fever, it's hard to say. I was hoping you could head out to the farms Caizarlu mentioned in his notes and take a look around."
Nov 13, 2018 4:44 pm
"That seems to be the logical next step," Urthask agrees. "We'll head out now unless you need us for something else?"
Nov 13, 2018 6:16 pm
Agreed, I'm sure Arktos will appreciate not having to squeeze for once.
Nov 15, 2018 3:19 pm
With that, you set out from town in the direction of the outlying farms. About an hour out, you see a figure in the distance running in your direction down the road. As he gets closer, you can see he's dressed in the garb of a farmer, though its stained with blood.
Nov 19, 2018 12:24 am
Shadow draws her dagger surreptitiously as she tries to ascertain if he is aggressive or frightened.

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

Nov 20, 2018 2:40 am
The man has a look of pure terror on his face
Nov 20, 2018 10:27 am
It's plain to see Urthask and Arktos are glad to be outdoors. In their element, both bear and rider stand even more proudly than usual. Urthask's banner, bearing his clan emblem flies high.

When the distraught man appears, Urthask doffs his helm. "What is it, man? What's happened?"
Nov 20, 2018 2:06 pm
We are friends, calm yourself, my good man. Gongar makes soothing gestures with his hands.
Nov 20, 2018 2:08 pm
Until Urthask speaks, it seems the man would have passed right by without even noticing you. When he hears the voice, he staggers and falls flat on his face, "Ahh!" he shouts as he falls.

When he finally gets to his feet, he falls on his bottom as he sees a huge bear just in front of him. Seeing that it's not feral, he takes a deep breath and looks up at your group, "I must get to the sheriff! The dead have begun to walk. They killed everyone!" he says and begins to sob, all of the strength leaving his body.
Nov 20, 2018 2:49 pm
"Looks like we're on the right track. I only hope we're not too late!" With that, Urthask points Arktos in the direction the man came from, and the pair speeds off.
Nov 20, 2018 6:05 pm
OOC:
How far out from Sandpoint are we? I would like to tell him to continue on by himself unless we are so far out that he would be in danger if he went on his own. Ill assume he can proceed without our help. Let me know if that is a bad idea.
Go, tell the sheriff that we are trying to clear the undead from this place. Gongar point toward town as he pulls his whip and frost hammer from their slings and races after the foolish half-orc.
Nov 21, 2018 11:56 pm
Shadow moves forward and puts a hand on his shoulder. "Rest a few minutes first," she suggests, "The sheriff needs to know, but if you pass out getting to him it will be no help. Pace yourself. We have your back; we won't let them past."
Nov 22, 2018 2:27 am
The man nods, "Thank you, oh thank you!" he says, "I'll go on to talk to the sheriff. We saw them at the Hambley farm. That's where they killed everyone else..." he says, voice beginning to break with terrified sobs.

He also provides you with directions to the farm
Nov 26, 2018 5:55 pm
You follow the directions that the farmer gave you and arrive at the Hambley farm, passing through paths between the fields, which clearly haven't been tended to in some time.

As you round a curve in the path, you find yourselves facing the farmhouse and the large, L-shaped barn. It is eerily quiet and Arktos crinkles his nose in disgust at something that he can smell. He bares his teeth, clearly sensing a wrongness about the area.
Nov 28, 2018 12:35 am
Shadow heads for the barn, senses alert.
Nov 28, 2018 10:11 pm
As you approach the barn, you can smell the stench of death coming from within. Once inside the L-shaped structure, you see the partially eaten corpses of both people and animals scattered around the floor. In the center of the barn is a massive stone head, overgrown with moss.
Dec 3, 2018 12:03 am
Shadow stands still a moment, listening carefully for any movement.
Dec 3, 2018 4:29 pm
All seems too quiet and Shadow is almost convinced that the barn is empty, but she hears the slightest creak in the wood overlooking the other end of the barn. Could be a wild animal, or it could be something less benevolent.
Dec 6, 2018 1:58 pm
Gongar will move up with Shadow into the entrance to the barn. As he see's the giant stone head he is intrigued by such an odd object being there. If he doesn't sense any danger he will move closer to investigate.
OOC:
Wow those are some spectacular rolls :-(
Last edited December 6, 2018 1:58 pm

Rolls

Perception (danger) - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Perception (stone cunning) - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Dec 10, 2018 5:13 pm
As Gongar moves closer to investigate, he doesn't see anything at all until a trio of ghouls drop down around him, all trying to bite him through his heavy armor.

One of them manages to bite him on the arm, (22 vs AC. Damage: 3)
OOC:
Gongar must make two fortitude saves. The first is a DC 13 save vs disease (outlined below) and the other is a DC 13 save vs paralysis for 3 rounds
[ +- ] Disease: Ghoul Fever
OOC:
Party turn!
Dec 10, 2018 8:06 pm
OOC:
I knew those rolls weren't going to cut it. Ill post my actions if I'm not paralyzed after this roll.

Rolls

Fortitude Save (disease) - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Fortitude Save (paralysis) - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Dec 10, 2018 8:38 pm
Feeling the filth run over his arm Gongar draws his hammers and swings at the ghoul that bit him.

Rolls

Primary attack (Frost Hammer) - (1d20+8, 1d8+6, 1d6)

1d20+8 : (5) + 8 = 13

1d8+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

Secondary Attack (Cold Iron) - (1d20+6, 1d8+4)

1d20+6 : (8) + 6 = 14

1d8+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Dec 15, 2018 12:23 am
Shadow takes aim at the closest ghoul with her bow.
OOC:
Hoping to get flanking?

Rolls

shortbow attack, damage - (1d20+7, 1d4)

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d4 : (2) = 2

sneak attack, if relevant - (2d6)

(14) = 5

Dec 31, 2018 4:32 pm
Gongar's hammer smashes the first ghoul, throwing it to the ground, dead once more. His second hammer swing takes another in the chest just as Shadows steps up and stabs it in the back, ending its un-life.

Urthask and Arktos charge the last one, piercing it through the back. The lance explodes out of the ghouls chest and Urthask raises it up in the air, keeping his companions out of its reach until its death throes end. He then drops it to the ground with a sickening thud.
Jan 2, 2019 2:56 pm
GAH, filthy undead. I should have know better than to rush into dark spaces such as this with undead lurking about. He looks at his companions, Thank you my friends. I appreciate the help.
Jan 6, 2019 9:31 pm
Shadow nods silently as she wipes clean her daggers in the straw.
Jan 7, 2019 5:54 pm
Urthask nods, "Of course," he says, wiping his lance off as well, "Clearly the man on the road was right. This place is infested."
Jan 10, 2019 6:18 pm
OOC:
Bump! Where to next? Exploring the barn more or looking in the main house?
Jan 10, 2019 6:24 pm
OOC:
I believe Gongar wanted to look at the stone head. Urthask will want to check out the other end of the room, make sure it's clear of threats.
Jan 10, 2019 6:36 pm
Gongar is able to tell that the stone head was once a masterful work, but the years and elements have not been kind to it and it is in pretty bad shape.

Looking through the barn, Urthask doesn't find anything of value or any additional clues.
Jan 10, 2019 9:00 pm
After his inspection of the stone head doesn't yield anything of interest he turns to his companions, We should clear any other undead from this place. I would prefer not to be surprised again if we can avoid it.
OOC:
Glad to have you back Jabes!
Jan 10, 2019 9:39 pm
"Let's check the house."
OOC:
Glad to be back! :-)
Jan 11, 2019 9:52 pm
Moving up to the house, it is in a terrible state. Claw marks mar the outside of the home and a horrible smell of death lingers around the house. The door barely hangs in the frame, as if it was ripped off and then haphazardly shoved back into place.
Jan 12, 2019 12:24 am
Shadow eyes the claw marks uncertainly. "Uh...after you?" she suggests to the larger members of their group.
Jan 14, 2019 2:05 pm
Forgoing his whip Gongar hefts both his hammers and nods to Urthask as they prepare to enter the house. you slash, I'll bash?
Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm
Urthask nods, drawing his sword.
OOC:
Is the door big enough to enter mounted? Can Arktos fit at all?
Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm
OOC:
Arktos can squeeze through the doorway if you want to take him in :)
Jan 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Seeing Urthask glance back and forth between Arktos and the door to the house, I would suggest Arktos stay outside for this one, he would be more useful to us watching our backs than trying to squeeze through that door.
OOC:
If Urhtask agrees He will proceed into the house. Looking around to see if anything is going to attack them.
Last edited January 15, 2019 4:49 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Jan 15, 2019 6:22 pm
"Arktos, pelos." Urthask commands, and follows Gongar through the door. The bear rumbles its displeasure but obeys, standing guard outside the door.
Jan 16, 2019 8:30 pm
As you open the door, you are greeted by a ghastly sight. The whole place is a wreck; furniture is shattered, blood covers the walls, and the corpse of a slightly older man lays on the table, shirt ripped open to display the familiar seven-pointed star carved into the flesh. Pinned to the torn remains of his tunic is a note, written in a familiar hand and a key with the Foxglove family crest on it.
[ +- ] Note
Jan 18, 2019 6:41 pm
Bugger this mystery and foul deeds! Gongar exclaims as he reads the note. Looks like we are due for a visit to the Foxglove estate now for sure. Lets check the rest of the area in case there are any filthy undead left in this place.
Jan 19, 2019 9:32 am
"We are being toyed with. I grow weary of this game!" Urthask growls as he follows Gongar's lead checking the place for stray undead.
Last edited January 19, 2019 9:33 am
Jan 21, 2019 9:20 pm
Looking through the rest of the home, you don't find any more undead monsters, but you do find a small chest underneath a loose floorboard in the bedroom. It is locked.
Jan 22, 2019 2:41 am
Shadow, could you work your specific kind of magic on this beauty?
Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm
Shadow, after just a few moments of work, manages to pop the lid of the chest open. Inside are 34 bags, each containing 100 silver pieces.
Jan 23, 2019 4:29 pm
Does it seem to anyone else that this is an excessive amount of silver for a farmer to have stashed under his floorboards?
Jan 24, 2019 2:40 pm
"That is quite an understatement, my friend. I fear the purpose of this cache might be tied up with this whole murder and undead business. Shall be bring it back to the sheriff?"
Last edited January 24, 2019 2:41 pm
Jan 25, 2019 4:07 pm
I believe that is the best course of actions.
OOC:
Is there anything left here at the farmhouse to investigate or can we head back to town?
Jan 25, 2019 4:08 pm
OOC:
You pretty much checked it all out. You would also know that Foxglove Manor is only a few hours from here.
Feb 1, 2019 2:28 pm
OOC:
Is Foxglove on the other side of Sandpoint or are we closer to investigating the manor and would waste time going back to town?
Feb 1, 2019 2:38 pm
JoHoover says:
OOC:
Is Foxglove on the other side of Sandpoint or are we closer to investigating the manor and would waste time going back to town?
OOC:
Foxglove Manor is on this side of town, but heading back wouldn't be a hugely wasted trip. It might be a good idea to let the sheriff and mayor what's going on in case you die :P
Feb 4, 2019 3:09 pm
OOC:
34 bags? I'm quite sure there were only 33.

Rolls

Sleight of hand - (1d20+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Feb 4, 2019 3:41 pm
"Shadow, why don't you load the bags of silver up on Arktos? I forgot to count many bags there were. I'll leaveit up to you to make sure we've got them all."
Last edited February 4, 2019 3:44 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(7) + 8 = 15

Feb 5, 2019 10:47 am
Shadow sighs internally and loads all 34 bags on Arktos.
Feb 5, 2019 10:52 am
OOC:
Haha but why? Urthask totally didn't catch you pilfering!
Feb 5, 2019 10:58 am
OOC:
No, but now she feels guilty. Damn honorable people.
Feb 5, 2019 9:31 pm
You make it back to Sandpoint with no issues. Where do you want to go first?
Feb 9, 2019 12:45 am
Shadow sighs and scuffs the dirt, "Might as well. We have all this bloody gold to give him, after all."
Feb 9, 2019 10:06 pm
You enter the sheriff's office to find three others already inside talking to him. When he spots you, he waves for you to enter, "I'd like to introduce you to some old friends of mine," he says.
OOC:
You three new players, please introduce yourselves!
Feb 10, 2019 11:45 am
Victor Valravn is the name, starts the tall one-eyed elf wearing a traveling cloak over a dingy steel breastplate. He turns his head towards a backpack on a corner with a bow strapped to it and nods. That one is mine, I hope what I bring is found adequate. There is an air humility about the man, certainly made more clear by the naturally arrogant features of an elf and what one might expect. What's more, there doesn't seem to be a single elven made article on him. He rubs his missing eye through the faded scarf. I heard from Belor here that you might need help. I've helped him before. His voice is of a singy type, and has an undercurrent of low self-esteem.
Last edited February 10, 2019 11:45 am
Feb 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Belor nods, "Viktor helped me out with an ogre problem a while back. We've kept in touch ever since," he says, "He's real good in a fight and dependable, too."
OOC:
Bump for the others
Feb 14, 2019 2:45 am
The figure that was leaning against one wall cut a striking figure, with hair that rippled like ebony smoke and skin a deeply burnished brass color. When she turns to face you, a pair of small horns curl up out of the hair, only an inch or two long, just above a delicate looking silver headband. When she speaks, her voice was smooth and silky, with just a touch of smokey etherealness. Hmm, Belor. You didn't mention that the others would be so interesting. Truly an assemblage worthy of song. she says, winking at whichever of the entering party is closest to her. My apologies all, I am Hetris. Singer, chronicler, and student of nearly any subject under the sun or moon.
Feb 14, 2019 2:06 pm
Belor smiles, "You should know by now that all of my friends are interesting," he says, then turns to the party, "Hetris here is one of the most knowledgeable people that I know."
Feb 14, 2019 3:22 pm
OOC:
Just waiting for the third introduction before Urthask responds.
Feb 14, 2019 4:47 pm
If Belor vouches for you, I know you will do right by us and Sandpoint. My name is Gongar and these are my companions Urthask and Shadow. Happy to make your acquaintances. Gongar strides up and extends his hand...
Feb 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Viktor looks the dwarf in the eye and grabs his hand with a friendly grasp. Gods keep you, he says with a serious face. Our kind have not always seen eye to eye with yours. Know that I do not have such thoughts, friend.
Last edited February 14, 2019 8:21 pm
Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm
A large smile breaks out on Gongar's face, Our kind never see eye to eye. You're always too damned tall for that. I've trained with many elves at the sanctuary and unlike most dwarves I very much appreciate having one guarding my back.
Feb 15, 2019 8:01 pm
Viktor fails to keep his calm when Gongar cracks his joke.You said it, the elf says and smiles.
Feb 16, 2019 12:37 pm
Shadow giggles, as she can relate as well.
Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm
OOC:
I haven't heard from ninja_dano in a bit. We'll move on and let him jump in when he gets the chance!
Now that the introductions are over, the sheriff turns to you, "I had a scared farmer in here not long ago and he said he'd met a group on the road that was traveling with a bear," he says, "He told me that you were going to check out the Hambley farm?"
Feb 20, 2019 7:56 pm
Just as the Sheriff begins talking about the Hambley farm, a small, cloaked figure dashes into the room and skids to a halt. Sweeping its hood down with a white-furred hand, you see a diminutive rat-like creature standing at just over four feet tall and smiling broadly. He... or she... seems to never quite stand still and its jittery motions cause the various skulls and bones tied to its belt to clack and clatter.

"Brodert Quink said you wanted to see me?" The ratfolk asks in a serene voice as his nostrils and whiskers twitch to the smells of the others in the room. With an eloquence that clashes in stark contrast to its features, it continues quickly, "Skriz at your service. Apologies for being late, I was studying Zanathyel's A Treatise on the Hellpacts of Old Cheliax and their Influence on Modern Trade Routes and lost track of time. Quite a fascinating book if you have a chance to read it. Chapters fifty-six and fifty-seven have a particular focus on the coastal ruins along the Lost Coast from Magnimar to Riddleport that I find extraordinarily enlightening."

Skriz blinks twice and blurts, "Oh forgive my manners, I didn't give you my bona fides that pertain to why the Mayor wanted me to be here. I am a scholar of ancient Thassilon, a practitioner of magicks and powers arcane (namely in those focusing on death), and an investigator of the unexplained. Brodert Quink and the Stone of the Seers university of magic in Magnimar can vouch for me if you need further references." Almost as though the thought had just now occurred to it, Skriz bows to all in the room.
[ +- ] Skriz, Master of Powers Arcane and Devotee of Death Magicks
Feb 20, 2019 8:09 pm
Urthask doesn't quite know what to make of the little creature. If Belor thinks this little fellow can help, then Urthask will not doubt it. He's just glad he made it in here without Arktos eating him.
Feb 20, 2019 9:50 pm
"Thank you for coming, Skriz," the sheriff says, "It's becoming more and more clear that these... events have some connection to Thassilon, so I thought we might be able to help one another. If you accompany these adventurers, then we get one step closer to fixing our issues and you get a chance to get more data on Thassilon. How does that sound?"
Feb 21, 2019 3:12 am
Hetris quirks an eyebrow at the mention of Thassilon.
[ +- ] Thassilonian
It is good to meet you Skriz, my name is Hetris.
Feb 21, 2019 6:49 am
A rat mage, Victor mumbles to himself, looking genuinely impressed. Viktor.
Last edited February 21, 2019 6:50 am
Feb 21, 2019 2:30 pm
Skriz's unnaturally green eyes flair to the point of glowing though it could almost be explained away by the sunlight coming through the window and reflecting off his face. The small ratfolk steps out from the shadow of the doorway and bows again, his cloak gently flapping out around him and undulating back into place.

"It would be my utmost pleasure to assist the Saviours of Sandpoint! Maybe in time your exploits will be sung in ballads passed down generation to generation, your accolades turned to legend and your legends etched into monuments of old for those like me to study and interpret in aeons to come."

His sharp, green eyes dart from person to person as his whiskers twitch. With a smile belying his intense curiosity and excitment, he asks, "So what seems to be the problem?"
Feb 26, 2019 3:56 pm
Gongar surveys the rat mage and nods appreciatively, turning to Belor My friend, your breadth of associates constantly surprises me. then turns to the new arrivals focusing on Hetris, We've traveled with a bard before. He let himself get waylaid by the evils we have come across in these hard times and is now passed out in a gutter somewhere drunk for weeks on end. I hope your constitution for the travesties we face is stronger than his...

Motioning to Skriz, I'm always glad to welcome any source of information that could help us solve the mysteries that we are facing. Have you had a chance to talk with our captured Thassilonian scribe?
OOC:
Sorry I couldn't remember her name...
Feb 26, 2019 4:04 pm
Worry not my new friend. Not all of us that entertain are meant to experience the world first hand. However, I've found it the single best way to learn. You mention that you have a captured Thassilonian scribe?! That sounds incredibly interesting! Hetris says with a wide grin.
Feb 26, 2019 4:14 pm
We rescued her from a goblin enclave but are still unsure what her part in this mystery is. To error on the side of caution she is currently being held in the town jail until we can confirm that she is not a part of some wider plot. but Belor has been kind enough to have her papers and research on hand for her. She has also provided us with some useful information to this point.
Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
"I must confess that strength of arms and stout hearts have not been enough to puzzle out this mystery. I am glad to have all of you join us."
Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm
OOC:
Her name is Lyrie. Were you going to speak to her first or did you want to head to Foxglove Manor or maybe explain to the sheriff what you found at the Hambley farm?
Feb 27, 2019 4:02 pm
Skriz scratches his whiskered chin thoughtfully and says, "I could talk to this woman you rescued if she is willing to share her knowledge. I might be able to discern more information about what might be going on... though what that is, I still haven't caught the thread. What happened at the farm?
Feb 27, 2019 4:14 pm
I'm also interested in hearing about the farm, for I once helped the Hambley's with some goblins and found them to be decent folk. Viktor nods to Skriz and says I have the feeling you are the right person for that, there is an aura of knowledge about you.
Last edited February 27, 2019 4:14 pm
Feb 27, 2019 6:14 pm
"We found nothing but ghouls at the farm. In the barn was a massive stone head, overgrown with moss, that none of us could explain. Also, underneath the floorboards, was a chest full of money. Shadow here has brought the chest back."
Feb 27, 2019 6:51 pm
"Did the stone head have any markings on it?" Realizing he had his grimoire with him, Skriz fans through the pages until he gets to a long series of meticulous notes next to ancient symbols. "These are some of the Thassilonian symbols I've been researching. Were there any marks like these?" he asks as he taps a sharp claw on the thick page.
Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm
OOC:
Should we role a knowledge check to see if anything matches...
Feb 28, 2019 4:09 pm
OOC:
There were no symbols on the stone head. It was pretty worn down though, so any sort of fine details would be gone by now
Mar 4, 2019 7:31 am
Looking over Skriz' shoulder at the notes, Viktor nods approvingly at the symbols he doesn't understand. Ghoul's and ancient stone heads? This is more serious than I let myself believe. What is your next plan?
Mar 4, 2019 3:09 pm
Aye, its gotten worse for sure. Unfortunately Skriz, the stone head had decayed so much that if there were symbols on it they are no longer there.

Looking back and forth between Belor and Viktor, We have found more evidence that points to the Foxglove Manor. We have been pointed in that direction from each of the events that we have investigated and I believe we might be being drawn into a trap.
Mar 4, 2019 3:09 pm
OOC:
Did we want to stop by Lyrie first?
Last edited March 4, 2019 3:10 pm
Mar 5, 2019 3:10 pm
"Not to worry, I've been in many traps myself. They're not as scary as they seem. We just need to be smarter than the ones who set them," Skriz says matter-of-factly. His whiskers twitch slightly in concern after a few moments as he asks, "Who would be setting the traps in this case?"
Mar 5, 2019 3:12 pm
Viktor grows more serious for a moment. Certainly you are in the right to expect trouble when dealing with the undead, though they seldom make elaborate plans. May I suggest that we take our time so to speak and do some scouting around the manor? See if that old abandoned place has some undue traffic these days?
Mar 7, 2019 4:24 pm
As much as I'd like to speak to this rescued woman, but it sounds as if this Foxglove Manor information may be much more time sensitive. We should pursue it as history will always be available to study. Hetris says, eyes glinting at the possibility of learning more.
Mar 8, 2019 3:20 am
Music to my ears to hear that history will always be there. Skriz glances at Hetris and then back to the group as a whole. "What do we know of this Foxglove manor?"
Mar 8, 2019 3:35 pm
Foxglove Manor is owned by a local noble that Urthask and I saved when the goblins attacked Sandpoint several months ago. but since that point I haven't had any contact with him.
OOC:
I'm including a knowledge local check to see if I know anything else about the Foxglove family, the man in particular or any history around the Manor.

Rolls

Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Mar 9, 2019 3:11 am
Gongar is able to remember quite a few details about the Foxgloves once he takes some time to think about it.

Foxglove Manor is over 80 years old, and has been the seat of the Foxglove family the whole time. Some sort of tragedy struck the family a few decades ago, and no one's lived there since. Common rumor holds that the place is haunted.

Foxglove Manor is known as the "Misgivings" by some locals, particularly by Varisians. It certainly has a bad reputation - sightings of strange lights in the attic windows, muffled sounds of screaming from above and below, and even rumors of a huge bat-winged devil living in the caves below the manor are but a few of the tales told about the place. The Foxglove family lived there as recently as 2 decades ago, but then a fire burned down the servants' building, Cyralie Foxglove was found dead - burnt and dashed on the rocks below the cliffs behind the house - and Traver Foxglove was found in his bedroom, dead by his own hand. The children, including young Aldern Foxglove, were sent away to be raised in Korvosa by distant relations.

Aldern Foxglove recently returned to live in the manor, but he had a hell of a time hiring locals to aid him in the reconstruction and repair of the old building. Until Aldern moved back in, the place was cared for by a man named Rogors Craesby (a retired innkeeper who lost an ear in a bar fight many years ago) who came in 3 days a week from Sandpoint to air the place out, check for squatters, and make minor repairs.

Foxglove Manor was built decades ago by Yore! Foxglove, a merchant prince from Magnimar. He and his family lived there for 20 years before the entire family perished from disease. The surviving Foxgloves of Magnimar shunned the place for 40 years, until Traver Foxglove moved back in.
Mar 9, 2019 7:16 am
"That is quite a history, friend Gongar!" Urthask remarks. "I hate to say it, but these wealthy, 'civilized' folk very nearly always hide skeletons in the closet."
Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm
Shadow nods quietly in agreement.
Mar 11, 2019 5:27 am
Quite a dark history, I might add. Viktor picks up his backpack from the corner of the room and nods at Hemlock before looking at the others.You wanted to see a woman before we decide what to do about Misgivings?
Last edited March 11, 2019 5:32 am
Mar 13, 2019 8:16 pm
OOC:
I think the plan was to go to the Manor first because it's more time sensitive, what with people dying and all :P

But the choice is up to you guys
Mar 13, 2019 9:09 pm
OOC:
Yes that does seem reasonable
Mar 14, 2019 3:42 pm
Let us head to the manor first and do the talking later. With that he motions for the old and new members follow him out of Belor's office. With a wave at his old friend We'll figure out whats happening at Foxglove and report back to you.
Mar 14, 2019 4:44 pm
Viktor nods to Belor and follows Gongar.
Mar 14, 2019 9:02 pm
The walk to Foxglove Manor only takes a couple hours. As you near Foxglove Manor, it almost seems as if nature herself has become sick and twisted. Nettles and thorns grow more prominent, trees are leafless and bent, and the wind seems unnaturally cold and shrill as it whistles through the cliffside crags. The path slowly rises, bending around a steep corner in the cliffs, and then Foxglove Manor looms at the edge of the world.

The strangely cold sea wind rises to a keening shriek as Foxglove Manor comes into view. The place has earned its local nickname of the "Misgivings" well, for it almost appears to loathe its perch high above the ocean, as if the entire house were poised for a suicide leap. The roof sags in many places, and mold and mildew cake the crumbling walls. Vines of diseased-looking gray wisteria strangle the structure in several places, hanging down over the precipitous cliff edge almost like tangled braids of hair. The house is crooked, its gables angling sharply and breached in at least three places, hastily repaired by planks of sodden wood. Chimneys rise from various points among the rooftops, leaning like old men in a storm, and grinning gargoyle faces leer from under the eaves.

Of to the side of the path is a small outbuilding, long ago burned down. It's impossible to tell how many floors the outbuilding that stood here once had, for all that remains are the sooty, scorched stones of its foundation. To the east, a four-foot-wide stone well sits, partially collapsed, in the corner of the ruins.
Mar 14, 2019 9:28 pm
Flail and shield clanking slightly, Victor reaches for his bow. Best be prepared if there really are ghouls roaming these parts. Keep an eye out for the dead. He pulls his coat tighter over his armor and squints at the house and it's surroundings. Truly a horrible sight, a manor so grand left to rot.

Rolls

Perception, anything hiding in sight? - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Mar 15, 2019 4:50 pm
Urthask rides straight-backed astride his loyal steed, pennant fluttering proudly in the chill wind. Arktos plods on bravely, drawing strength from his master, but the bear is obviously agitated by the blighted landscape.
[ +- ] Banner (Ex)
Mar 15, 2019 5:20 pm
Viktor peers around, but doesn't see anything hidden. It's impossible to tell how many floors the outbuilding that stood here once had, for all that remains are the sooty, scorched stones of its foundation. To the east, a four-foot-wide stone well sits, partially collapsed, in the corner of the ruins. There are currently about a dozen ravens sitting atop the foundation stones quietly, staring at you as you approach.
Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm
Skriz twitches his nose as he looks at the ravens. More to himself than anything, he says, "Strange creatures, those. Some say they can talk like a man."
OOC:
Knowledge nature to see if these ravens are normal for their kind.

Rolls

Knowledge: Nature - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

Mar 18, 2019 2:07 pm
As far as Skriz can tell, there's nothing odd about the ravens.
Mar 21, 2019 7:40 pm
Gongar scans the grounds with his new companions alongside him and motions with his hammer at the manor house. I did not think the estate had fallen so far as this... lets check the surroundings before we enter the house so we aren't surprised by some foul undead.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Mar 21, 2019 10:50 pm
Shadow nods and scans the area with Gongar.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(15) + 11 = 26

Mar 22, 2019 12:53 pm
Urthask nods his agreement with Gongar's plan, and guides Arktos accordingly. The great bear sniffs about for the ghoulish stink of undeath.

Rolls

Arktos perception - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Urthask perception - (1d20+8)

(14) + 8 = 22

Mar 22, 2019 1:42 pm
Moving about the grounds, you don't notice any signs of undead in the area at all. Any time he turns toward the manor, Arktos growls and his fur stands on end.
Mar 22, 2019 3:43 pm
Urthask motions towards the manor and leads the group that way.
Mar 22, 2019 5:45 pm
Viktor puts his bow away and straps his shield on, following Urthask to the manor.
OOC:
Is the front door visible and is it closed? Also, are there windows in sight?
Mar 22, 2019 6:48 pm
As you approach the manor, the path continues straight to a set of double-doors and branches off to the left toward another set of doors. There are numerous windows in the building, but all of them are obscured by thick curtains.
Mar 22, 2019 7:55 pm
Urthask rides up the path, dismounts, and knocks heavily on the main doors with his mailed fist.
Mar 23, 2019 10:59 pm
Urthask knocks on the door and waits, but there's no response other than an eerie silence.
Mar 24, 2019 1:08 am
It would seem we are unexpected here. Hetris says, with a quirked smile. Perhaps a song could lure them out?
Mar 25, 2019 3:25 pm
I have the sinking suspicion that the only thing we will find here is the dead... Walking or otherwise. Can your songs draw them out? Gongar hefts his hammers and nods to Hetris.
Mar 27, 2019 6:24 am
Let's see if one of the doors is open, shall we? But quietly. Viktor will try open a door and move inside stealthily, if possible.

Rolls

stealth roll - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Mar 27, 2019 2:05 pm
Knowing his limitations, Skriz places himself squarely in the middle of the group and remains as quiet as possible.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Mar 27, 2019 7:20 pm
The door creaks open ominously. The sound of the house straining and creaking gives this long, high-ceilinged room an additional sense of age and decay. The place smells damp, the unpleasant tinge of mold lacing the air, as surely as it stains the wooden floor, walls, and furniture in pallid patches. Moldering trophies hang on the wall to the northeast: a boar, a bear, a firepelt cougar, and a stag, yet they pale in comparison to the monster on display in the center of the room. Here crouches a twelve-foot-long creature with the body of a lion, a scorpion's tail fitted with dozens of razor barbs, huge bat-like wings, and a deformed humanoid face.

There are two doors in the room, a hallway leading further in that you can't see well past the statue, and stairs leading up to the second floor.

Map
OOC:
You can roll perception too, to see if you notice anything odd
Mar 27, 2019 8:28 pm
Flail and shield at the ready, Viktor gives Gongar and Urthask a serious look and steps inside. What is that thing?

Rolls

Perception, anything odd? - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Arcana, the winged beast? - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Mar 28, 2019 2:19 am
"I have never seen nor heard of such a beast."
Last edited March 28, 2019 2:20 am

Rolls

Urthask's Perception - (1d20+8)

(15) + 8 = 23

Arktos' Perception - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Knowledge: what is that thing? - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Mar 28, 2019 12:47 pm
Hetris thinks on the creature, to see if she can remember anything of the beast.

Rolls

Knowledge (+1 for Arcana, +5 for History or Local) - (1d20+8)

(19) + 8 = 27

Mar 28, 2019 2:11 pm
Hetris and Viktor recognize the creature as a manticore.

Viktor, as he looks around, catches the scent of burning hair and flesh for a moment and then it's gone.

Urthask and Arktos briefly hear what sounds like sobbing from somewhere upstairs,
Mar 28, 2019 3:30 pm
"It sounds like someone upstairs needs help!" Urthask says, pointing Arktos up the stairs.
Mar 28, 2019 3:38 pm
Who in blazes has a giant manticore statue in their entry way?! then hearing Urthask exclaim someone might still be alive in the house Gongar's face goes serious and he nods to his companions. We might still be able to save someone from the evil that infects this place.

He will follow Urthask upstairs.
Last edited March 28, 2019 3:38 pm
Mar 28, 2019 7:27 pm
You move up the stairs and come to a hallway with many different doors. You can no longer hear the sound of sobbing.

Map
Mar 28, 2019 7:34 pm
Arktos sniffs at the first door. Urthask listens. Hearing nothing, Urthask moves on.
Last edited March 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Mar 28, 2019 8:54 pm
Wait, it could be the dead calling us to join them. How long did you say this house has been abandoned? Ten years? Twenty? I am hesitant to trust pleas of help in such a place as this. Be on your guard.
Mar 29, 2019 1:50 am
Skriz feels his fur stand on end as he hears about the sobbing and then Viktor's comment on the dead calling to them. As the group decide what to do, he steps off to the side and takes a quick sketch of the manticore for his own notes.
Mar 29, 2019 1:24 pm
Arktos sniffs at the first door, but can't smell anything worth noting.

Map
Mar 31, 2019 4:38 pm
OOC:
I don't mind checking all the rooms. Just need someone else to open the door and I can charge in if needed. I don't want to dismount unless necessary.
Apr 1, 2019 4:24 am
Ready? Viktor nods to the others and opens the second door, stepping out of the way.
Last edited April 1, 2019 4:24 am
Apr 1, 2019 2:06 pm
Opening the door, you find that it's a child's bedroom. This bedroom features a child-sized bed, a chair next to a toy box, and a looming stone fireplace big enough for a child to get lost in.

Map
Apr 1, 2019 2:28 pm
Naatkinson says:
... a looming stone fireplace big enough for a child to get lost in.
OOC:
That's not ominous at all... you got me super paranoid from Strange Aeons, Naat
Last edited April 1, 2019 2:28 pm
Apr 1, 2019 3:17 pm
OOC:
The sobbing we heard earlier, was it a child or an adult?
Apr 1, 2019 3:29 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
The sobbing we heard earlier, was it a child or an adult?
OOC:
It was barely perceptible. The pitch was slightly higher, so probably either a woman or a child
Apr 1, 2019 5:53 pm
Gongar sweeps the room trying to identify the source of the sobbing. He will move onto the next door. The single one across the hall from the child's room.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Apr 2, 2019 6:29 pm
Viktor takes a quick peek into the big fireplace to make absolutely sure there's nothing hiding in there.

Rolls

perception - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Apr 2, 2019 7:02 pm
Urthask, as you look into the room, you suddenly see your parents in the middle of the room. Both of their faces are twisted with rage and your fathers is covered in festering boils. Your mother swings as lit torch at your father, but he steps back and avoids the attack. Screaming in rage, he steps forth and plunges a long dagger into your mother's chest, pulls it out and stabs again and again. A sort of twisted smile comes over his face as your mother's lifeblood pools on the ground and he turns to you.

"You're such a disappointment to me," he says with the same twisted smile, "It's time for you to die as well."

He steps forward and stabs with his dagger as you, small and meek, cower away. As the blade enters your stomach, the vision fades and you are covered in sweat.
OOC:
Urthask, make me a DC 14 will save or take 4 points of wisdom damage!
Apr 4, 2019 2:28 pm
Urthask's mind reels from the gut-wrenching vision...but he tells himself it's not real.

"What trickery is this?!" Urthask rages.
Last edited April 4, 2019 2:41 pm

Rolls

WIS save vs. DC 14 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Apr 4, 2019 2:46 pm
Skriz cocks his head at Urthask's reaction, his curiosity getting the better of him as he starts to step forward towards the door. "What happened?"
Apr 4, 2019 2:49 pm
Viktor looks into the fireplace and doesn't see anything within.

Opening the door across the hall, the only thing you see is a staircase going down to the first floor.

Map
Apr 4, 2019 3:30 pm
"A vision. Meant to unhinge me." Urthask growls "Steel yourselves. Whatever evil resides here likes to play mind tricks!"
Last edited April 4, 2019 3:31 pm
Apr 4, 2019 7:59 pm
They are among us then. The dead do not take kindly to our intrusion, it seems. Turning to Urthask, he says Truly a blessing that you are strong of mind, Urthask. There's no telling what something like that does to the mind. Viktor opens the double doors on the right, shield and flail ready.
Last edited April 4, 2019 8:00 pm
Apr 4, 2019 8:45 pm
This large room features two padded chairs and a long couch facing a wide alcove lined with stained glass windows. These windows depict a diverse array of animals and plants-from north to south are a large pale and ghostly scorpion, a gaunt man holding out his arms as a dozen bats hang from him, a moth with a strange skull-like pattern on its wings, a tangle of dull green plants with bell-shaped flowers, and a young maiden sitting astride a well in a forest while a spindly spider the size of a dog descends along a string of webbing above her.

Map
Apr 5, 2019 12:10 am
Skriz peeks into the room with the stained glass windows and scrutinizes them.
OOC:
Which knowledge check should I make to see if Skriz can identify the images?
Apr 5, 2019 12:14 am
OOC:
give me arcana
Apr 5, 2019 12:57 am
OOC:
Arcana check incoming!

Rolls

Knowledge (Arcana) - (1d20+13)

(17) + 13 = 30

Apr 5, 2019 1:08 am
Skriz will notice that all of the subjects in the window are classic spell components in necromancy magic (scorpion venom, vampire's breath, the tongues of deathwing moths, belladonna, and the heart of a maiden slain by poison). After thinking for a moment, he also realized that they all have ties to theoretical formulae for the transformation into a lich.
Apr 5, 2019 11:14 am
Skriz scrutinizes the images for a long moment, his face going from curious to troubled. "That is peculiar... why would anyone want to have the recipe to make powerful undead in the windows of their home?" He pulls out his grimoire and begins sketching the images while he continues explaining to the others what he discovered.

"These images are necromantic in nature. They are spell components and if I'm not mistaken, specifically a set of components to theoretically transform oneself into a lich. It's far more complex than that that, but I won't bore you with the details."

After a moment's pause, he continues, "Unless of course you'd like the details..."

Another pause, and then, "It is one of my specialties, you know. Necromancy that is. Along with other esoteric arcana, ancient histories, Thassilonian lore, and..."

He glances back at the others and realizes he's rambling on, stops talking abruptly with a nervous chuckle, and clears his throat.
Apr 5, 2019 12:15 pm
No no, please continue. This is fascinating. Hetris says happily, looking over the materials herself. Perhaps it is another such as yourself, looking to collect the esoterica needed for various spells and arcane formulae? she continues, brain spinning.
Apr 5, 2019 12:56 pm
Urthask scowls, but says nothing. Everything about the room is repulsive to him, as is his new companions' obvious fascination with the subject, but he sees the value of these allies and would not make enemies of them. He backs Arktos out of the room and stands guard in the hallway.

A lich. Is that what they were up against here?
Last edited April 5, 2019 12:58 pm
Apr 7, 2019 4:13 pm
Fascinating indeed, but I'm afraid we'd better move on with the investigation, Viktor says, opting for a middle ground between Urthask and Hetris. Moving to the hallway to open the opposite door, he hesitates a bit. On second thought, go on. Your knowledge might very well prove to be important and useful.

Viktor opens the opposite door.
Last edited April 7, 2019 4:14 pm
Apr 8, 2019 2:07 pm
I'd focus less on the fascinating theory and more on the utilitarian. How would we kill whatever was made from that spell? Gongar moves beside Viktor to back him up as he opens the door. Sweeping the area for anything that might be a threat.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Apr 8, 2019 3:21 pm
Skriz flips through his notes for a moment, mumbling to himself the entire time. "Now mind you, this is all theoretical." He points at the windows and continues, "I don't know if those things would work or not, I just know that it's one theories to make oneself into a lich... maybe. I've never heard or read about a formula like this one working, let alone observed the ritual myself."
OOC:
Knowledge check to see if Skriz knows anything else about the formula or liches in general or if there's any relevance or connection to this place. Use or ignore whatever rolls are applicable.

Rolls

Knowledge (Arcana) for info on the formula or liches - (1d20+13)

(19) + 13 = 32

Knowledge (History) for any relevance to this manor - (1d20+13)

(1) + 13 = 14

Knowledge (Local) if that's more pertinent than History - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

Apr 8, 2019 4:01 pm
Opening the door across the hall, a stone fireplace sits in the northwestern portion of this chamber. Paintings hang on the walls to the north and south, each covered over with a thick sheet of dusty cobwebs that obscures its subject from view. On the opposite side of the room are another set of double-doors.

Aside from what he already knows, Skriz isn't able to determine any more or make any connections between lichdom and the Foxglove family.

Map
Apr 8, 2019 11:28 pm
Shadow quietly follows along behind Viktor and Gongar.
Apr 11, 2019 6:16 am
Viktor seems to relax a bit, his shoulders dropping. I wonder who they were, he mumbles as he solemnly walks to one of the pictures to wipe it clean.
Last edited April 11, 2019 6:17 am
Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm
Wiping away the dust, Viktor can see a portrait of a young boy dressed in clothing that was fashionable in Magnimar years ago. A small plaque on the frame says "Aldern Foxglove"
Apr 12, 2019 5:40 am
Viktor glances at the others and nods towards the picture, possibly about to say something.

Rolls

knowledge local, who's this - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Apr 12, 2019 2:29 pm
Viktor will recognize the name from his new companions mentions of a noble that they had saved during the goblin attack on Sandpoint.
Apr 15, 2019 6:46 am
Ready, Viktor asks before opening the door on the opposite side of the gallery. We all heard the wailing, there must be something here.
Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm
As ready as I'll ever be...
Apr 15, 2019 5:23 pm
The door opens with a loud creak. The furniture in this bedroom, while dusty and unkempt, does not exhibit any major signs of water or mold damage. The one exception is a dark stain on the desk near the northern window

Map
Apr 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Not seeing a foe he can swing a hammer at is starting to get to Gongar, why can't we find anything in this bloody house. Everything we have found so far points to this place and we get here and nothing is here!
OOC:
Does the portrait of Aldern Foxglove seem like he should be much older than he actually is? I wasn't sure if your description of his cloths would be something Gongar would have noticed. Like maybe Aldern is supposed to be like a hundred years old or something.
Last edited April 16, 2019 3:36 pm
Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm
OOC:
Nah, it's more like the fashion 15 years ago
Apr 16, 2019 5:25 pm
Viktor looks around the room, squinting his eyes. The dead can be more subtle than mere clanking skeletons and rotting zombies, Gongar. Pointing at the desk, he continues. Desks have papers and ledgers. They often hold secrets. Viktor moves to inspect the stain and the desk for possible papers and clues.
Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm
OOC:
Viktor, give me a Will save!
Apr 16, 2019 9:51 pm
??

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Apr 18, 2019 1:37 pm
As Viktor moves to the desk to check it out, he spots a dagger that he hadn't noticed before sitting atop the dark stain on the desk. Picking it up, he's overcome by an urge to plunge it into his gut. He feels a horrible pain as the dagger enters his stomach (10 piercing damage and make a fortitude save)
Apr 18, 2019 6:45 pm
Viktor is dead silent until he suddenly cries out in pain and turns slightly to reveal a horrible act bloody of self-mutilation.

Rolls

Fortitude save - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Apr 18, 2019 6:48 pm
Just a moment after the dagger pierces him, Viktor pulls it out in horror and he's holding just a piece of splintered wood in his hands and his blood is running down his stomach and legs.
OOC:
Congrats! It was a DC 20 or die!
Apr 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Urthask is shocked by what he is seeing. What deviltry would force someone to stab himself?
Apr 18, 2019 9:33 pm
Viktor drops the piece of wood and takes a trembling step back, staring wide eyed at his companions. His mouth moves but no words come out as he lowers his gaze at his bloody hands and the fresh wound. After a faltering step, he tries to grab the old desk but his posture gives in and he crumbles to the floor, on his knees. I Don't know what happened... I, I felt I had to do it. He looks at the splintered piece of wood and flails it away from him. It was the dead! They did this to me! His shouting end in a wince, the pain of a near-fatal wound clouding his mind.
Last edited April 18, 2019 9:34 pm
Apr 18, 2019 9:34 pm
deleted
Last edited April 18, 2019 9:34 pm
Apr 19, 2019 2:48 pm
Gods man! if these spirits can turn us on ourselves there is something fouler here than just the dead. Gongar rushes up to Viktor and stanches the bleeding and checks for any infection or poison. Then uses the healing want on him.

Rolls

Heal check - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Wand (cure light wounds) - (1d8+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm
Hetris watches, threads of horror winding through her mind as Viktor's blood pulses out of the wound. She walks to the wood and moves it slightly with her toe. What in the Hells would have caused that? she asks no one in particular as she thinks over the kind of curses that could have led to this. Hmm. Suddenly her eyes glaze over white as she casts her gaze across the room.

Casting detect magic.
Apr 21, 2019 9:00 pm
Viktor sighs as his gaping wound closes shut. He takes hold of the table and gets up, grabbing Gongar by the shoulder. Thank you friend. Thank you, he says, eyes more resolute than before.
Apr 22, 2019 12:13 am
Having dismounted and rushed in alongside Gongar, Urthask swats away the bloodied wooden stake. "I say we leave this room NOW!"
Apr 22, 2019 2:33 pm
Hetris casts her spell and her eyes sweep the room, looking for signs of magic, but she doesn't notice any signs of lingering magic.
Apr 22, 2019 6:32 pm
Do you see something, Hetris? I am inclined to agree with Urthask here, let's push onward while we still have our strength and minds intact.
Apr 22, 2019 7:02 pm
I was searching for things of a magical nature, and sense nothing. Nothing lingering, nothing emanating. Almost as if that echo weren't magical at all, but - yes, I agree. Let's quit this room, and not come back anytime soon. she says, turning to leave.
Apr 25, 2019 4:33 pm
OOC:
Which room next?
Map
Apr 25, 2019 6:28 pm
Let's head back to the hallway, everyone. We have to find the source of the wailing.
OOC:
Viktor heads to B13 and opens the door.
Apr 26, 2019 3:39 pm
Gongar Follows Viktor to the next room muttering about curses and magic.
Apr 26, 2019 3:42 pm
Urthask nods as he gets back in the saddle.
Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm
The door opens to a small bedroom.This entire bedroom is caked with a thick, spongy layer of dark green, blue, and black mold.

Map
Apr 27, 2019 8:28 am
Gods...
OOC:
Knowledge Nature to know if this mold is natural

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm
The mold definitely does not look natural to Viktor.
Apr 29, 2019 6:05 pm
Anyone have some sanctified holy water, Viktor asks, visibly disgusted.
Apr 30, 2019 6:02 am
"Holy water? Are you saying this stuff is demonic in nature?" Urthask covers his nose with a rag so as not to inhale any spores. even natural mold can be deadly. He backs Arktos up. Can't afford to endanger the bear's very sensitive nose.
Apr 30, 2019 9:53 am
I don't know, but it sure ain't natural. I wouldn't rule out any kind of influence in this place. I wonder if this is some kind of undead manifestation?

Rolls

knowledge religion: this mold - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Apr 30, 2019 3:25 pm
The best that Viktor can figure is that this mold is a manifestation of whatever evil infests this place.
Apr 30, 2019 4:10 pm
Skriz peeks into the room, his nostrils twitching as he looks at the mold. "I don't have any blessed waters, but I could take some samples if you'd like me to research this peculiar species of fungus."
May 1, 2019 9:12 am
"I don't think touching it would be a very good idea."
May 1, 2019 1:50 pm
Skriz looks genuinely crestfallen and sighs, but rallies quickly. "It might be, but we will never know if we don't conduct further research. Just let me know when you want me to investigate this fascinating organism further."
May 1, 2019 2:59 pm
I would deem it a good idea if you can do it without touching it for now.
May 1, 2019 3:21 pm
When he hears talk of disturbing the mold, he backs Arktos all the way out of the room and out into the hall.
May 1, 2019 6:49 pm
Skriz sighs again and pulls out his grimoire to take down a few notes and make some sketches before moving along with the rest of the group. "Don't go anywhere, I might be back for you yet!" he says cheerfully to the mold as he continues to follow the others.
May 1, 2019 8:34 pm
This house gets more and more twisted the more we explore... Gongar moves up to the next door wondering what horrors might lay on the other side. Checking to make sure his companions are there with him he opens the door.
OOC:
Opening the door to room B14 if no one has any objections.
May 2, 2019 9:12 am
Viktor is right next to Gongar, looking ready as ever inspite of the harrowing experience. With steely eyes, he nods.
May 2, 2019 12:29 pm
Hetris continues along with the group, not eager to be the first through any of these doors after the wicked dagger incident.
May 2, 2019 2:36 pm
An iron tub sits in the middle of this room, the floorboards around it sagging with the tub's weight.

Map
May 2, 2019 6:15 pm
Fancy, Viktor says before turning away towards the last door.
May 6, 2019 6:58 pm
This once fine chamber has been destroyed. The bed is smashed, mattress torn apart, walls gouged as if by knives, chairs hacked apart, and paintings on the walls torn to pieces-with one exception. A portrait hanging on the northwest wall seems to be untouched, although it hangs backward, its unseen subject facing the wall.

Map
May 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Being an adventurer, Viktor moves in to the room to inspect the painting that seems to have escaped the occupants rage. Slowly, he lifts it from the wall and turns it around for all to see. I have a bad feeling about this, but I want to know what has happened here.
May 11, 2019 4:58 pm
"No, don't touch it!" Urthask warns, but it's too late.
May 13, 2019 3:17 pm
Skriz looks around the door jam from the hall, curious to see what is on the painting that Viktor is inspecting.
May 13, 2019 8:10 pm
Viktor turns the portrait around, which is of a beautiful dark-haired Varisian woman in a thoughtful pose.
OOC:
Will save, Viktor!
May 15, 2019 8:27 am
...?

Rolls

will save - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

May 15, 2019 1:17 pm
As Viktor looks at the picture, he feels a powerful feeling of rage and when he turns to face his companions, he feels a compulsion to strike Hetris, but it passes quickly, leaving him with a feeling of shame.

Map
May 15, 2019 1:38 pm
I felt a compulsion just now, a sort of deep hatred, Viktor says, flustered. This place is one of hate and malice, of this I am sure. Casting a weird look at Hetris he takes a few steps back to inspect the painting. The person who lived here hated her, he says, nodding at the painting. I believe an unquiet spirit tried to project that hate through me. I do not mean to alarm you, but I felt you were the target, Hetris. Viktor keeps his eyes on the painting, not daring to look at his companions.
Last edited May 15, 2019 1:39 pm
May 15, 2019 1:53 pm
OOC:
Would Skriz get any overall insight to what has happened here or what has caused these phenomena with his background in necromancy?
May 15, 2019 2:41 pm
With his specialty in necromancy, Skriz would be able to make an educated guess that the house is haunted by a malevolent spirit. Whether this spirit is mindless in its rage or more cold and calculating is impossible to determine at this time.
May 15, 2019 3:19 pm
Hetris's eyes narrow at the mention of being the target. That's very interesting Viktor, thank you for your openness. We definitely need to tread lightly. Whatever is causing this heinousness, we should purge it.
May 16, 2019 7:25 am
Yes, we cannot leave it here for someone else to find. Do you Skriz have an understanding of how to go about making this place safe? Should we just burn the whole house down?
May 16, 2019 2:03 pm
We still have to find out what links this place to the murderer and why they would link Urthask to them! But I agree that in the end whatever resides here must be put to rest before this place will be safe for anyone besides the dead.
May 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Skriz's furry face scrunches up in surprise at the mention of burning the house down. "Oh no! I wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to study this fascinating phenomena. There's a treasure trove of information to be gleaned from this place." Calming down a bit as his brain begins tackling the problem at hand.

"But I understand your concern. This place is dangerous and needs to be dealt with one way or another. My understanding of haunts like the ones we are experiencing... they have a root cause. We find out what that is, maybe we can begin to rectify the situation. There is a malevolent spirit here.... somewhere. As he talks, he pulls out his oversized grimoire and begins leafing through it, apparently looking something up.

"Do any of you know who the woman is?"
OOC:
Rolls if needed. Skriz is quite knowledgeable in many fields and subjects. The knowledge rolls represent him looking up specific information in his grimoire, which he uses as a repository of notes and musings as well as spells.

Rolls

Knowledge: Arcana (if it applies to rituals to dispel the spirits) - (1d20+13)

(15) + 13 = 28

Knowledge: Religion (as it pertains to haunts, necromancy, and the undead) - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Knowledge: History (as it pertains to this manor, the Foxgloves, and or the woman in the painting) - (1d20+13)

(7) + 13 = 20

Knowledge: Local (if it is more pertinent than Knowledge: History for the same information) - (1d20+9)

(20) + 9 = 29

May 16, 2019 5:14 pm
Thinking on it, Skriz can't think of anything that would work under all circumstances to cleanse the house. Clearing a haunt often requires specific criteria be met that is particular to that haunt.

Skriz looks over the painting and finds a small inscription on it that says, "Iesha Foxglove." He also knows that Iesha was at one point the wife of Aldern, the acquaintance of his companions that owns this home.
May 16, 2019 6:05 pm
Flipping through the pages and speed reading with a clawed finger, Skriz stops and rereads a note. "Iesha Foxglove... she was the wife of an Aldern Foxglove." Looking up at the others, he continues, "I never really met the fellow but I understand some of you did. Anything suspicious from the Foxglove family that any of you could discern?"
May 17, 2019 7:22 am
Murder, suicide and disease is what happened to the previous inhabitants, as Gongar told it. It certainly counts as suspicious in my book that no one has lived here peacefully and that the ocean view was blocked by necromantic window paintings.
May 21, 2019 2:41 pm
OOC:
What now?

You haven't found the source of the crying that brought you upstairs yet. You have determined that place is haunted and there's some fascination that the owner had with lichdom.

The whole first floor is still unexplored and there is one more door on the second floor you haven't touched yet.
Map
May 22, 2019 1:45 pm
OOC:
Can we still hear the crying? Have we seen anything that might point us to what would have started the crying?
As Viktor says nothing stood out about the man himself though we didn't spend much time with him. Let us continue our search. Gongar shrugs his shoulders settling himself after the picture almost took control of Viktor. And moves with the party to the last door on this floor.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

May 22, 2019 2:21 pm
OOC:
There's been no more sobbing since you came upstairs
The final door opens to another set of stairs, this one going up further into the house.

Map
May 22, 2019 2:40 pm
OOC:
Would it have been possible for the sobbing to have come from the 3rd floor or do we get the feeling that it was something closer than that and we just haven't found it on the second floor?
May 22, 2019 2:42 pm
OOC:
It was just a faint sound that was heard, so it could have been from either floor.
May 23, 2019 12:57 pm
Big house, lots of nooks and crannies to search. Let's get to it, Viktor says with a sigh as he starts up the stairs, weapon ready.
May 23, 2019 3:07 pm
You ascend the stairs, which creak loudly under your feet. When you reach the top, you find yourselves in another hallway. Now that you're up the stairs, you can once again hear the sound of a woman sobbing somewhere further down the hallway.

Map
May 23, 2019 4:34 pm
So many doors... We should open but not enter the rooms to make sure we won't be attacked then investigate them once we know there isn't anything to swing a sword at us.
May 23, 2019 6:08 pm
I second your opinion, Gongar, Viktor says as he rubs the magically closed wound on his gut. But then again, I wouldn't count on us being able to detect these things that seem to want us dead.
May 23, 2019 8:36 pm
That is why I want to identify the things we can see that want to kill us before we go poking at things that we can't see. Surveying the rest of his companions Gongar looks to see if anyone has any objections before they move through the long winding hallway.
OOC:
My idea is to move down the hallway opening the doors in succession, looking in from the doorway for anything that might attack us or need our assistance. If none of those are in a room I would move on to the next door. After we have opened up all the door I would suggest going into each room as a group after the smarties have had a chance to identify anything that might be a haunt or other arcane sources.

We could roll 9 perceptions checks or one for looking through the doors and then any knowledge/arcana checks you want Nat.
May 24, 2019 10:45 am
OOC:
sounds like a good idea to me
May 24, 2019 5:04 pm
That sounds like an excellent plan. Anything to keep us from killing ourselves. Hetris says.
OOC:
Agreed.
May 28, 2019 2:33 am
OOC:
Yeah, someone give me some perception checks
May 28, 2019 8:24 am
"I'm beginning to think the sobbing is merely a ruse. A lure." Urthask growls. "I do not enjoy being toyed with. By the living or the dead."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+8)

(13) + 8 = 21

May 28, 2019 2:35 pm
I agree that I would rather have something to smash with my hammer than something attacking my mind. Gongar shudders at the thought of loosing control of himself.
OOC:
I like Urthasks roll better.
Last edited May 28, 2019 2:36 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

May 28, 2019 4:54 pm
You open a few doors in the hallway:

B19 - A large number of wooden planks, rope, and other repair supplies are stored here. The ceiling above sags noticeably; in several areas patches of the sky above are visible.

B20 - Each of these rooms is stacked with old furniture, sheets and linens, boxes and crates, and other bits.

B21 - The ceiling of this room angles down steeply, leaving only four feet of headroom to the southeast. A low cot and a dresser are the room’s only furnishings.

As you open the corner door, you hear a shriek of pain from the furthest door on the right (B24).

Map
May 29, 2019 8:23 pm
Viktor flinches terribly upon hearing the shriek but immediately readies his flail. There, quickly! he says with a voice shaken by the sudden cry. Shield up and afraid, he moves quickly to open the door and confront the thing, unless someone stops him.
May 30, 2019 12:48 pm
Gongar reacts in much the same way. Growling through his fear he is side by side with Viktor as he opens the door.
OOC:
Perception to identify what screamed if its not obvious when we open the door.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

May 30, 2019 1:08 pm
Hetris moves quickly with the others, her silver dagger flashing into her hands.
May 30, 2019 2:55 pm
Following close behind the others, Skriz brings to mind several incantations and begins running through mind focusing techniques.
May 31, 2019 4:32 am
Urthask, uncharactersitically, and only because his player is slow to post, brings up the rear.
Last edited May 31, 2019 4:32 am
May 31, 2019 2:09 pm
You rush down the hall and reach the last door on the right and find that it's locked. You can hear the sobbing much louder now and it's clear that the source is just on the other side of this door.

Map
May 31, 2019 3:31 pm
Can anyone open this lock? Gongar looks to his companions questioningly. He raises his hammer with the intent to bash the door in if no one answers in the affirmative.

Yelling to the person inside, We are here to help you, unlock the door so we can help you!
OOC:
I don't have persuasion. I could roll intimidate or persuasion untrained.
May 31, 2019 3:39 pm
"Out of the way!" Urthask roars, and charges through those crowded around the door to have Arktos crash through it.
May 31, 2019 5:57 pm
Hearing Urthask bellow behind him, Viktor dashes out of the way of the beast and it's master.
May 31, 2019 7:16 pm
Hetris likewise moves to the side, not eager to be the first unto the breach.
Jun 3, 2019 9:39 am
Shadow begins to pull out her lockpicks, only to leap out of the way as Urthask charges through.
Jun 3, 2019 12:55 pm
Arktos crashes through the door, taking both the door and part of the framing around it and turning it into kindling.

This room is cold and damp; an old armoire stands near the east wall. The ceiling slopes down to only four feet high to the northeast, leaving little room for a small window. A full-size mirror in a dark wooden frame of coiling roses leans against these bricks, angled toward the tiny window.

Curled up in the corner, facing away from the mirror is a sobbing female form in a filthy dress. She doesn't react as you enter the room besides to sob a bit louder.

Map
Jun 3, 2019 6:53 pm
Be careful, Urthask! Viktor warns from behind Arktos as he tries to see better into the room and spots the hunched woman.
Jun 6, 2019 6:32 am
Urthask is at a loss. He realizes this could be another illusion, or a trap of the more mundane sort (road bandits have tried the old damsel in distress ploy on him several times - not that he ever fell for it, thanks to Arktos). But still...

"Madam...may we be of some assistance?"
Jun 6, 2019 12:46 pm
Arktos won't let Urthask get too close to the woman for some odd reason, though he keeps sniffing and baring his teeth. The woman doesn't respond to Urthask's inquiry, though she does try to lift her head, but when she sees the mirror, she breaks into louder sobbing. When her face comes into view, it looks rather pale, but it looks familiar to Urthask.
OOC:
Give me an Int check to see if you recognize her
Jun 6, 2019 4:02 pm
That face.... why is it so familiar?

Rolls

INT check - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 6, 2019 4:07 pm
OOC:
That int check applies to anyone close enough to catch that quick glimpse of her face
Jun 6, 2019 4:40 pm
Hmm...

Rolls

Int roll - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Jun 6, 2019 4:48 pm
Very interesting...

Rolls

Intelligence Check - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jun 7, 2019 1:43 pm
Gongar hesitates as Arktos definitely doesn't like the woman's mojo.
OOC:
We are all killing it with these Int. Checks!
Last edited June 7, 2019 1:43 pm

Rolls

Int. Check - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 7, 2019 2:25 pm
Hetris also tries recalling the woman's face.

Rolls

Int? - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Jun 7, 2019 3:26 pm
Viktor and Hetris recognize the woman as Iesha Foxglove, though a lot more pale and gaunt than she looked in the painting downstairs.
Jun 7, 2019 9:11 pm
OOC:
Has Iesha turned into some kind of undead?

Rolls

Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jun 10, 2019 2:14 am
Viktor figures it's possible that she's some sort of undead, but her paler-than-usual state could also be caused by being locked in this room for a long period of time.
Jun 10, 2019 10:37 am
That's the woman from the painting, Iesha. I felt hate when I saw her, somehow I feel she is not an enemy to us. Viktor moves closer and tries to comfort the sobbing woman.
Jun 10, 2019 12:52 pm
Skriz scrutinizes the woman for a moment, trying to discern more about the woman's nature.
OOC:
Knowledge: Religion to see if she's some sort of undead

Rolls

Knowledge: Religion - (1d20+8)

(14) + 8 = 22

Jun 10, 2019 1:20 pm
Skriz comes to the same conclusion. There's no way to tell if she's undead from the short view you've gotten thus far.

Viktor moves up to the woman, who is still sobbing. As he gets close, he can hear her whispering, "The mirror," she sobs, "Oh Gods, what has he done to me?"
Jun 10, 2019 7:18 pm
Viktor glances at the mirror and back at the woman. He kneels by her and touches her shoulder, saying It's alright, we're here to rescue you. Can you tell us who hurt you?
Jun 10, 2019 7:23 pm
Urthask tries to calm Arktos. "What is it, old friend? What's wrong?"

Rolls

Handle Animal - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Jun 11, 2019 1:50 pm
Gongar is getting more and more uncomfortable with how the woman is acting. he readies his hammers in case she isn't what she seems.
Jun 11, 2019 6:36 pm
Hetris leans back against a wall as the others talk with Iesha. Softly, she starts to sing a calming lullaby, not putting any magical force behind it, just going with her voice.

Rolls

Perform (Sing) - (1d20+15)

(16) + 15 = 31

Jun 11, 2019 6:51 pm
The woman stops sobbing for a moment and turns to look at Viktor, "That bastard husband of mine did this to me," she snarls. Now that she's looking at him, he can see that her facial features are sunken in as if she's been malnourished.

Urthask manages to calm Arktos down, but the bear is still glaring at the Iesha suspiciously.

Now that she's more responsive, she reaches over and pushes the mirror away before climbing to her feet. She listens to the song a moment and a ghost of a smile crosses her lips, "Thank you for that," she says, "It's beautiful."

With that, he smile disappears and a strange reddish glow appears in her eyes and she begins moving past you and toward the door, "If you'll excuse me, I have something to attend to."
Jun 11, 2019 7:30 pm
Skriz watches the woman move toward the door and says, "Perhaps we should follow her? What did her husband do to her?"
Jun 11, 2019 11:22 pm
Not sure what was going on in the room, Shadow peered around the legs of the bigger folk and listened to the exchange. When the woman pushes past, she skitters out of the way quickly.
Jun 12, 2019 2:13 am
Aye, we should follow her. The eyes are - not right. Hetris says as Iesha walks off.
Jun 12, 2019 1:41 pm
Viktor watches Iesha get up and leave with ominous looking eyes seemingly full of intent. Yes, let's follow her. I have a feeling we'll learn something new.
Jun 12, 2019 2:48 pm
Iesha moves down the stairs all the way to the first floor, stopping behind the manticore statue where there's a large stain on the carpet. She looks confused for a moment and then screams and begins smashing the floor to pieces. Before you even have time to react, there is a decently-sized hole in the floor, which she climbs into a drops out of sight.

Looking into the whole, the room below looks to have once been some sort of arcane workshop, although it now lies in ruin. A row of soggy books sits on the northern end of a workbench along the western wall. At the other end of the workbench, what looks like three iron birdcages sit, each containing a dead diseased rat. To the east, two stained-glass windows loom. The northern window depicts a thin man with gaunt features drinking a foul-looking brew of green fluid, while the southern one shows the same man but in an advanced state of decay, as if he had been dead for several weeks. His arms raised and head thrown back in triumph, his rotting body turns to smoke and spirals into a seven-sided box.

There are two doors on the southern wall. One of these is a heavy iron door with a heavy lock on it while the other is a normal oak door.

Map
Jun 12, 2019 3:04 pm
OOC:
What is Iesha doing? Is she aggitated or still confused? And how did she break the floor? Just with her hands? Where the floor boards rotted or is she exhibiting super human strength?

So many questions right now!!
Last edited June 12, 2019 3:05 pm
Jun 12, 2019 3:09 pm
OOC:
She broke through it with her bare hands and seemed to have a massive amount of strength. Looking down below, she looks angry, but is looking around as if deciding which way to go.
Jun 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Viktor stares at the woman he was just trying to save in horror. Gathering himself, he tries to reason with the situation. She doesn't seem to be heading outside, the door is right here. I say we stick with following her. Or it, I'm not sure anymore. To Skriz he says, The windows, they do seem to have something to do with the undead, you were right.
Last edited June 13, 2019 5:42 pm
Jun 14, 2019 1:03 pm
As you try to figure out what to do, she finally seems to make a decision about what to do next and starts pounding on the west-most door (the heavy iron one), trying to break through.

Map
Jun 16, 2019 12:00 pm
Shadow eases forward and pulls her lockpicks forth once more. Keeping half an eye on the raging woman, she sets to work on the lock.

Rolls

Disable device - (1d20+13)

(13) + 13 = 26

Jun 17, 2019 11:39 am
Viktor jumps down after shadow with a thump, equipment clattering loudly. He tries to open the eastern door without attracting Iesha's attention or disturbing Shadow's work. First though, he gives an ok sign up to the others to show he's ready.
Jun 17, 2019 12:16 pm
Hetris follows after, careful to stay out of Iesha's way and whatever task she's set herself to.
Jun 17, 2019 12:59 pm
Gongar joins the others and looks to Iesha. What is behind that door? he asks the women. Not really expecting her to answer but asking anyway.
Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm
Iesha begrudgingly lets Shadow begin working on the door. When Gongar addresses her, she narrows her eyes and doesn't look away from the door as Shadow works on opening it, "Him..." she mutters in response.

After a minute or two, Shadow manages to open the door and Iesha pushes past her and heads down the hallway within. You follow her to the next room.

Piles of broken stone, dirt, and a few ruined pickaxes line the edges of this room. The floor in the middle of the room has been torn up to reveal an ancient set of stone spiral stairs, obviously of much older construction than the surrounding basement, winding deep into the bedrock below. A foul stink, like that of rotten meat, wafts up on a cold breeze from the darkness.

Iesha doesn't hesitate before she moves down the stairs.

Map
Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm
"I have a bad feeling she is going to dig up a corpse, and then they will both turn on us."
Last edited June 17, 2019 1:36 pm
Jun 20, 2019 12:34 am
Hetris moves down the stairs after Iesha, carefully observing everything the woman does.
Jun 21, 2019 11:40 pm
The stairs end in a limestone cavern. The walls drip with moisture, and swaths of black and dark blue mold grow in spiraling, tangled patterns on the floor, ceiling, and walls. Rubble and broken bones clutter the floor, and a rhythmic sound-like the breathing of some immense creature-echoes through the cave from three tunnels, one to the north and two to the west. Of the two western tunnels, the southernmost one seems to be a relatively new creation.

She stops and the bottom, looks at the tunnels and then picks the northern passage and begins moving in that direction.
Jun 22, 2019 5:30 am
I too have a bad feeling, and that feeling agrees with yours, Urthask. Viktor observes the passages and tries to listen to any threats. We should follow her, but be wary. We do not know if she is an ally.

Rolls

perception - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm
Following the women making sure to not get in her way, Gongar tries to identify the "breathing" noise and he tires to determine if she is leading us into a trap.

Rolls

Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Sense Motive - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm
You can't seem to figure out what exactly is causing that noise, but it doesn't make you feel comforted as it continues.

Viktor is having a hard time getting a read on Iesha, as she seems to be filled with a single-minded determination. As you begin to follow, you hear a loud scuffle. Peering down the tunnel, you see that Iesha has handily dispatched a trio of ghouls that tried to block her path.

She doesn't even stop long enough to clean her now-bloody hands as she moves down the tunnel. You can tell you are getting close to the sound of the breathing.

When you enter the next chamber, you realize the source of the noise. The cramped tunnel opens into a vertiginous gulf here, a cathedral-like cavern with a roof arching thirty feet overhead and dropping into a sloshing pool of foamy seawater fifty feet below. The surging of the water echoing through causes the sounds. A steep stone ledge winds down to these surging depths, its slope glistening with moisture and mold. A stone door stands in the northwestern wall about halfway down the slope.
Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm
What is this place? Viktor asks no one in particular as he takes in the size of the place, wide eyed. The Foxglove name seems to have not a few secrets to it. I have a feeling we've arrived at the belly of the beast. Viktor tries to peer at Iesha to see where she went and what she's doing. Do you see the pale woman? I don't fancy letting her out of my sight after what she did to those walking corpses...
Last edited June 25, 2019 2:39 pm
Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm
"That's an ominous sight." Urthask remarks. Against his better judgment, he begins leading the way down the ledge.
Jun 25, 2019 3:13 pm
Following Urthask with eyes for only a moment, Viktor starts after him on the slippery ledge. Right behind you.
Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm
Iesha begins moving down the slope alongside Urthask and stops at the door, placing her hand on it and closing her eyes before smiling and opening it.

The air in this damp cavern reeks of a horrific stench - a foul combination of decay, brine, and mold. The cave contains a rickety table, its damp surface cluttered with all manner of what appears to be garbage: empty bottles, bits of clothing, crumpled bits of paper, and more, lying in neatly organized rows. A painting leans against the far side of the table, facing a large leather chair that sits nearby. This chair's high back and cushion are horribly stained by smears of rotten meat and its arms are sticky with blood. A smaller table sits against the southern wall, its surface heaped with plates and platters of rotten, maggot-infested meat. The horrific stench of the room seems strongest to the west, where the cave's wall has been overtaken by a horrific growth of dark green mold and dripping fungi. At the center, a patch of black tumescent fungus grows, its horny ridges and tumor-like bulbs forming what could almost be taken to be a humanoid outline. What appears to have once been an exquisite puzzle box the size of a man's fist lies smashed on the ground at the fungoid shape's feet.

Sitting in the chair is a familiar figure to some of you, Aldern Foxglove, though he is gaunt and pale. His fingers are tipped with claws and sharp teeth fill his mouth. He appears to have been transformed into some sort of ghoul. His mouth drops wide open when Iesha steps through the door.

Aldern tries to stand, but his legs can't hold him and he crawls forward on the ground, reaching hesitantly for Iesha. "I'm sorry, my love," he sobs out, "I failed you and I hurt you so badly. Please forgive me!"

Iesha smiles and stretches her hand out to caress his cheek lovingly, "Of course, my love," she replies, "I will of course forgive you."

What do you do?
Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm
Urthask knows this is a bad place to be, but is honor-bound to see this through. This must be the heart of all the ghoulish killings. But why? And why is he being framed?

He lowers his visor and prepares for a fight, but watches and waits.
Jun 25, 2019 4:39 pm
Viktor drops the rough ball of his flail to dangle by it's chain and moves slightly to the west towards the fungal growths, observing it quickly as he goes and keeping Iesha and Aldern well on the other side of his beaten round shield. How can that horrible ghoul have such life like words? Don't listen to it Iesha! he commands, without thinking further.
Last edited June 26, 2019 6:38 am

Rolls

arcana (fungus) - (1d20+9)

(13) + 9 = 22

religion (fungus) - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

perception - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Jun 25, 2019 4:57 pm
OOC:
I didn't realize Aldern and the fungus-man were one and the same creature. I guess I read that wrong.
Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
I didn't realize Aldern and the fungus-man were one and the same creature. I guess I read that wrong.
OOC:
They aren't. The 'fungus-man' is just an outline in the fungus, so you have no clue what it really is. Aldern is some sort of ghoul separate from the fungus
Jun 26, 2019 6:37 am
OOC:
Sorry if I caused the confusion, I meant that my back is towards the fungal outline and I'm facing Aldern and Iesha.
Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm
Viktor tries to figure out what the fungus might be, but can't recall having seen or heard of anything like it before.

As you watch Iesha and Aldern in trepidation, Iesha suddenly pulls her arm back and strikes Aldern across the face. As he falls to the floor in shock, Iesha screams angrily at him, "You killed me! I loved you and you betrayed me!"

Aldern looks shocked, but then there's a sudden shift in his demeanor. Where it was scared and ashamed before, it is now angry and slightly crazed. He climbs to his feet and smiles maliciously, "I suppose I'll have to kill you again then, won't I?"

He looks for the first time at the party and his eyes lock onto Urthask, "You!" he shouts with a crazed glee, "You live! Well and good, for now I shall have the reward of tasting your heart while it is yet warm. Be patient, I shall get to you next!"

His expression turns to rage and he begins attacking Iesha, war razor in hand now. He scores some nasty hits on Iesha, but she barely notices.

Iesha: 8 damage taken
Aldern: 6 damage taken
OOC:
Your turn!
Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am
Viktor stares at the undead couple arguing just long enough to look like he is at a loss at what to do, until his eyes clear up with a resolute look. Shield raised high, he runs by Aldern, the flail trailing behind. Suddenly he jerks to a stop and flings the mace over his shield and towards Aldern's face.
OOC:
Moving to set up a possible flank for Aldern (not trying to flank with Iesha). AC for the attack of opportunity is 26 with dodge.

Rolls

Acrobatics to move in Aldern's reach - (1d20-2)

(14) - 2 = 12

Attack with light flail (B) - (1d20+8, 1d8+3)

1d20+8 : (5) + 8 = 13

1d8+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm
Urthask has seen and heard enough. He lowers his lance and charges the undead. "It will be your black, ubdead heart that will bleed here!"
OOC:
Lance charge vs. Aldern. If Arktos can attack, it will be vs. Aldern as well. Several of his class abilities affect him and his allies:
[ +- ] Distracting Charge
[ +- ] Banner
[ +- ] Challenge
[ +- ] Cavalier's Charge
Last edited June 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Rolls

Lance charge - (1d20+14, 1d8+5)

1d20+14 : (12) + 14 = 26

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Arktos bite, damage  - (1d20+10, 1d6+4)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Arktos claw 1, damage  - (1d20+10, 1d4+4)

1d20+10 : (3) + 10 = 13

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Arktos claw 2, damage  - (1d20+10, 1d4+4)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d4+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Jun 28, 2019 8:15 pm
Skriz stands motionless for a few more moments than he should, he gaze still taking in all the sights in the room, his mind calculating what it all could mean. Eventually his focus comes back to the ghoul before him, and after a brief formulation, he utters a word and flicks a delicate clawed finger towards the undead man who used to be Aldern. A thin beam, incandescent and glowing with an eerie green light flashes into existence, creating a line between Skriz and the ghoul for a brief second.
OOC:
Casting Scorching Ray vs. Touch AC at Aldern Foxghoul

Rolls

Scorching Ray - (1d20+6, 4d6)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

4d6 : (1434) = 12

Jun 30, 2019 7:55 pm
OOC:
Hetris, Shadow, and Gongar?
Jul 1, 2019 1:33 pm
Gongar is right behind Urthask swinging both hammers.
OOC:
I think I got all of Urthask's bonuses in my attack but here is what I used: Frost hammer, +12 to hit normally, -4 Two weapon fighting, +2 Distracting Charge, +1 Urthask's Challenge for a total +11 to hit. For my Cold Iron hammer, base is +10, -4 Two weapon fighting, +1 Urthask's Challenge for a total +7 to hit.

Rolls

Frost Hammer - (1d20+11, 1d8+6, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (6) + 11 = 17

1d8+6 : (7) + 6 = 13

1d6 : (3) = 3

Cold Iron Hammer (off-hand) - (1d20+7, 1d8+4)

1d20+7 : (12) + 7 = 19

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Jul 1, 2019 7:08 pm
OOC:
Do I still have line of sight for a distance shot? I don't want to risk hitting allies.
Jul 1, 2019 7:11 pm
marithyme says:
OOC:
Do I still have line of sight for a distance shot? I don't want to risk hitting allies.
OOC:
You can see all of this through the door, but there are some allies that will grant cover against your attacks
Jul 1, 2019 7:17 pm
Hetris starts a rousing song, with a driving tempo and a focused message. The language is heavily influenced by dwarven themes of strength and might.

Starting Bardic Performance (Inspire Courage). Allies that can hear me get +2 morale on saving throws against fear and charm, and a +2 competence bonus on attack and damage rolls.
AC: 16 | HP: 32/32 | DR 5/fire |F: 2/R: 7/W: 4
Burning Hands 1/day | Bardic Performance 21/22
Base DC: 14 | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd:3/3
Jul 3, 2019 11:16 pm
Shadow skirts around the edge of the room, holding her fire, as she looks for a better angle while also keeping an eye for new entrants to the fray.
Jul 5, 2019 8:32 pm
Viktor moves by Aldern and then swings his flail, but misses badly.

Urthask charges on Arktos and slams his lance into the undead creature, splitting flesh and spewing ichor all over the floor. Arktos is unable to land a blow on Aldern.

Skriz shoots a ray of scorching energy at the undead being and misses.

Gongar steps up and swings both hammers, missing both times as the supernaturally quick Aldern avoids all of the blows.

Hetris begins singing a song of courage and might, magically enhancing the abilities of her comrades.

Shadow moves around the perimeter of the room, waiting for a better shot to present itself.

Aldern: 14 damage taken

Ongoing Effects: Bardic Performance (Hetris) - Allies that can hear me get +2 morale on saving throws against fear and charm, and a +2 competence bonus on attack and damage rolls.
Jul 5, 2019 8:38 pm
Iesha continues swinging and clawing at Aldern, rage and hate contorting her face. Aldern, against all odds, avoids her furious assault.

Aldern, distracted by Urthask's presence, turns and lashes out at the cavalier atop his mount. He catches Urthask with his war razor (25 vs AC. Damage: 6). He also manages to bite Urthask on the leg (24 vs AC. Damage: 3).
OOC:
Urthask: Time for some Fort saves, DC 17.

1. DC 17 Fort Save or suffer a disease
2. DC 17 Fort Save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rds
Aldern: 14 damage taken

Ongoing Effects: Bardic Performance (Hetris) - Allies that can hear me get +2 morale on saving throws against fear and charm, and a +2 competence bonus on attack and damage rolls.
OOC:
Your turn!
Jul 5, 2019 8:42 pm

Rolls

DC 17 Fortitude save vs. Disease - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

DC 17 Fortitude save vs. Paralysis - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Jul 6, 2019 11:26 am
Viktor takes the miss and works it into another swing at Aldern. Flail swinging wildly over a steady shield, he urges Kill the Ghoul!
OOC:
distracting charge, inspire courage

Rolls

Light Flail - (1d20+12, 1d8+5)

1d20+12 : (5) + 12 = 17

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Jul 6, 2019 2:03 pm
Hetris sways up behind Urthask and brushes his shoulder with her hand as she keeps singing her song of power, keeping him between her and the war razor wielding bastard.

Casting cure light wounds on Urthask while continuing bardic performance. Harmonic Spell let's BP continue without expending a round.
AC: 16 | HP: 32/32 | DR 5/fire |F: 2/R: 7/W: 4
Burning Hands 1/day | Bardic Performance 21/22
Base DC: 14 | 1st: 4/5 | 2nd:3/3
Last edited July 6, 2019 2:03 pm

Rolls

CLW - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 7, 2019 1:10 am
Witnessing the unnatural speed in which the thing that used to be Aldern is moving, Skriz quickly brings another spell to mind to even the field for his companions.
OOC:
Casting Haste on the group (5 targets, no two who are more than 30 feet apart). Skriz will exclude himself to get the other five in the group.
[ +- ] Haste
Jul 7, 2019 11:23 pm
Shadow draws her shortbow and takes aim at Aldern.

Rolls

shortbow attack (add +1 if haste in effect), damage - (1d20+9, 1d4+2)

1d20+9 : (16) + 9 = 25

1d4+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

second attack? (if haste in effect), damage - (1d20+10, 1d4+2)

1d20+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

1d4+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Jul 8, 2019 2:14 am
OOC:
Is Urthask going to take an action?
Jul 8, 2019 3:27 am
OOC:
Oops! Sorry!

Relevant effects:
Challenge: +5 damage. Allies gain +2 to attack.
Power Attack: -2 to hit, +4 to damage
Bardic Performance (Hetris): +2 competence bonus to attack & damage

Rolls

+1 Bastard Sword Power Attack - (1d20+11, 1d10+17)

1d20+11 : (5) + 11 = 16

1d10+17 : (1) + 17 = 18

Arktos bite, damage - - (1d20+11, 1d6+6)

1d20+11 : (16) + 11 = 27

1d6+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

Arktos claw 1, damage - - (1d20+11, 1d4+6)

1d20+11 : (13) + 11 = 24

1d4+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

Arktos claw 2, damage - - (1d20+11, 1d4+6)

1d20+11 : (8) + 11 = 19

1d4+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

Jul 8, 2019 9:24 am
OOC:
also sneak attack if flanking?

Rolls

sneak attack - (2d6)

(61) = 7

Jul 8, 2019 9:51 pm
Viktor once again misses with his flail as he swings again. The ghoul is just far too fast.

Hetris moves forward and casts a spell of healing on Urthask, closing up some of his wounds.

Skriz completes his spell and everyone else feels their movements becoming faster and more precise.

Shadow finds and opening and fires twice, but only one of her shots hit the target.

Urthask and Arktos continue attacking the ghoul. Urthask misses, but Arktos lands a couple solid hits.

Aldern: 37 damage taken

OOC:
Gongar?
Jul 8, 2019 9:57 pm
OOC:
I forgot to make the extra attack from Haste.

Urthask's Challenge is also ongoing (Allies gain +2 to attack rolls vs. Aldern).
Last edited July 8, 2019 10:00 pm
Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm
OOC:
I'll give Gongar one more day before we move on
Jul 12, 2019 5:33 am
OOC:
In case it's not too late to add the extra attack from Haste. If too late, then ignore.

Rolls

+1 Bastard Sword Power Attack - (1d20+11, 1d10+17)

1d20+11 : (19) + 11 = 30

1d10+17 : (3) + 17 = 20

Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm
OOC:
Sorry, was visiting my in-laws and thought i would have internet. Unfortunately Montana had other plans for my online endevours.

Relevant effects:
Challenge: +2 to attack.
Bardic Performance: +2 competence bonus to attack & damage Rolls
Haste: +1 to attack
Dual wield: -4 to attack
Gongar feeling the wave of speed invigorate his hands he swings his hammers at Aldern as fast and as hard as he can.

Rolls

Main Attack (frost hammer) - (1d20+11, 1d8+8, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (12) + 11 = 23

1d8+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

Off-hand Attack (cold Iron hammer) - (1d20+11, 1d8+6)

1d20+11 : (7) + 11 = 18

1d8+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

Haste Attack (frost hammer) - (1d20+11, 1d8+8, 1d6)

1d20+11 : (4) + 11 = 15

1d8+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm
OOC:
Haste grants +1 bonus to attack rolls? I missed that. Ah, Pathfinder. So many things to track.
Jul 16, 2019 2:38 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
Haste grants +1 bonus to attack rolls? I missed that. Ah, Pathfinder. So many things to track.
OOC:
That's no joke with how many buffs this group give each other I feel like I'm slacking over here just swinging my hammers ;-)
Jul 16, 2019 2:59 pm
JoHoover says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
OOC:
That's no joke with how many buffs this group give each other I feel like I'm slacking over here just swinging my hammers ;-)
OOC:
+1 to hit, +1 dodge bonus to AC, +30 feet of movement (whatever that movement style is) up to a maximum of twice your normal speed, and an extra attack on a full attack action at your highest attack bonus (to include that +1 to hit). It's my favorite buff spell in the 3rd level spell slot.

Also a fitting spell for a twitchy rat man
Last edited July 16, 2019 3:01 pm
Jul 18, 2019 2:52 am
OOC:
Crit for Urthask?

Rolls

Crit confirm - (1d20+11)

(17) + 11 = 28

Urthask crit damage - (1d10+17)

(4) + 17 = 21

Jul 18, 2019 2:55 am
Viktor swings his flail again, but misses his foe.

Hetris casts a spell of healing on Urthask, closing up some of the warrior's wounds.

Skriz' spell grants his companions unnatural speed, making them harder to hit and to avoid.

Shadow takes a shot at Aldern and strikes him in the side. He grunts at the impact but shows little other reaction.

Urthask swings his blade twice. His first attack misses, but his second takes a large chunk out of the ghoul-ified Aldern.

Arktos lands a bite and a claw, wounding Aldern badly.

Gongar steps up and strikes Aldern in the side of the head with his hammer, crushing his skull. He falls down motionless and the room is silent aside from your heavy breathing.

Aldern: DEAD

Jul 18, 2019 5:03 am
Flail swinging in a lazy circle, Viktor circles Iesha, keeping his shield half way up. Is it on our side? Are you on our side? He demands.
Jul 18, 2019 12:32 pm
Skriz watches Iesha intentently. He is both fascinated to be near such a being and wary of her at the same time, knowing what he knows of necromancy and his theory about what she might be given the nature of the house.
Jul 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Having struck the killing blow, Gongar realizes maybe to late, that Iesha might not be to fond of the person that 'stole' her kill. Lowering his hammer but no less ready to strike he looks to the women questioningly but does not speak.
OOC:
I'm going to ready an action: If she tries to attack any of us I will try and hit here with the frost hammer.
Last edited July 18, 2019 4:25 pm

Rolls

Sense Motive (is she going to attack) - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jul 18, 2019 11:41 pm
Iesha looks stunned for a moment as Aldern falls and then a true smile appears and she turns to you, "He's dead? He's finally paid for his sins?" she says in shock.
Jul 19, 2019 5:52 am
I believe he has now paid for them with his soul, Viktor says warily. Could... Could you tell us what he did? Viktor realizes he might be pushing it, but he has to know.
Jul 19, 2019 12:35 pm
Feeling that the imminent danger has passed, Skriz curiously starts looking over the body of Aldern, occasionally taking notes in his grimoire.
OOC:
Searching and studying Aldern. Partly to see what he has on him, but also for research sake as Skriz is a scholar of not only Thassilonian studies, but of Necromancy as well. He'll also be casting Detect Magic.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+13)

(11) + 13 = 24

Spellcraft - (1d20+13)

(6) + 13 = 19

Jul 19, 2019 2:25 pm
Urthask's guard is still up. Iesha may or may not be a threat, but she is still undead. "How did Aldern know about me, and why was he framing me for those ghoul killings?"
Jul 20, 2019 3:13 pm
Her expression turns sad, "When we first got married, he was a kind and gentle man. As time went on however, he seemed to grow more agitated and sometimes became violent. One day... he took it too far and ended my life before locking my body in that room and fleeing our home."
Jul 20, 2019 3:36 pm
The small hairs on the back of Hetris's neck stand up at the story, feeling the flames of anger building inside her.

I am glad we were able to end his miserable existence then. Any idea what made him become violent?
Jul 23, 2019 5:03 am
Viktor looks around in the furnished cave, still wary of Iesha. What about this place and the hateful manor up top? He points at the vaguely man-shaped patch of fungus next to the puzzle box, not daring to look at it. What about that?
Jul 23, 2019 11:25 am
Viktor's question pricked at Skriz's ears, making them visibly twitch. "That is a good question..." he replies as he gets up and approaches the the fungus to study it further.
OOC:
As Skriz gets closer to the fungus, he'll use detect magic (all three rounds) to see if he can glean any more insight to this horrible place.
Jul 23, 2019 1:06 pm
Be careful, little one, Viktor offers as he follows the rat mage.
Jul 24, 2019 1:35 am
Skriz moves closer to the fungus and realizes that the humanoid shape within somehow matches himself exactly...
OOC:
Make me a DC 14 Will save!
Iesha shakes her head, suddenly looking weak, "I don't know what drove him to it, but this house is... wrong somehow. I wish I knew how to destroy it..." Lost in thought, she seems to have missed your question about the fungus.

As you peer around the room, you find a letter on the table.
[ +- ] Letter
Jul 24, 2019 11:16 am
OOC:
Skriz will continue to study the fungus with the intention of 1) figuring out if the fungus itself has anything to do with what's going on; 2) taking some research notes; 3) and how to destroy it so it doesn't do whatever it just tried to do to Skriz to anyone else.
Last edited July 24, 2019 11:18 am

Rolls

Will save - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Jul 30, 2019 1:16 am
Skriz continues inspecting the fungus and feels a near-overwhelming urge to consume the fungus. He manages to fight it off and continues inspecting, eventually coming to the conclusion that it's magical in nature and nothing he's ever seen it before.
Jul 31, 2019 10:36 am
Viktor moves to the table and picks up the letter, reading and eyeing Iesha from time to time. As he goes on he seems to become more and more disturbed by the contents. Finally, he places the letter calmly on the table and stares the others. This is... Something is happening. This isn't some stray family feud and a ghoulish curse. He paces a couple of nervous steps before continuing. We must bring to the authorities. And I fear we must also make haste to Magnimar.
OOC:
Breadth of Experience:
You get a +2 bonus on all Knowledge and Profession skill checks, and can make checks with those skills untrained.

Rolls

Local: who are the "Brothers"? - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

History: who are the "Brothers"? - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Nobility: who are the "Brothers"? - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Local: who is "Xanesha"? - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

History: who is "Xanesha"? - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Nobility: who is "Xanesha"? - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Aug 6, 2019 12:34 am
Even with all of his knowledge, the Brothers and Xanesha are unknown to Viktor.
Aug 9, 2019 4:43 pm
I turn to Iesha and ask her Do you know anything of Alderns goings? Does anything from this letter sound familiar? Careful not to get too close, I show her the letter.
Last edited August 9, 2019 4:44 pm

Rolls

diplomacy - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Aug 11, 2019 9:42 pm
Iesha shakes her head, "I knew nothing of these dealings," she says, sounding exhausted, "A good place to start might be our townhouse in Magnimar. If he had dealings with these people, then he may have left some sort of clues there."
Aug 12, 2019 12:59 am
Pondering the letter and the pale woman's words, Viktor speaks carefully. Yes, the letter hinted as much. With shifty eyes, he asks the question he fears the answer to. What now? Where do you belong? In this world, I mean.
Aug 13, 2019 11:22 am
Urthask's grip tightens on his sword hilt as he awaits Iesha's response to Viktor's question.
Aug 13, 2019 6:17 pm
Gongar seeing the tension around the group does the same but hopes Iesha can come to grips with herself and the fact that her reason for remaining in this plane as undead.
Aug 13, 2019 8:30 pm
"I don't think I belong anywhere," Iesha says sadly, "Now that Aldern is dead, I think I can finally rest. When you leave, put this place to the torch and hopefully the evil in this place will burn along with Aldern and I."
Aug 13, 2019 8:58 pm
To the torch, you say. Hetris says with a grin, pulling her hood back to let her flowing hair free. I could stand to burn something.
Aug 14, 2019 2:49 pm
Looking to Hetris You do seem particularly suited for that purpose. This place has been too steeped in evil to let it remain intact. turning to Iesha, I hope you find peace in the cleansing fires, would you prefer a swifter exit from this plane? He makes an offering gesture with his warhammer if she would prefer that to being consumed by the fires.
Aug 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Go in grace, Viktor says hesitantly to the woman, before turning his attention to Alderns remains to see if he still has a key to this townhouse that Iesha mentioned.
Last edited August 14, 2019 7:01 pm
Aug 15, 2019 12:26 am
Iesha looks at the warhammer and shakes her head, "Thank you for the offer, but a fire is more to my liking."

Viktor finds a set of keys under the table. They must have been knocked off in the struggle.
Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am
Viktor lifts up the keys for all to see before pocketing them and making his way back to the door. Before stepping through, he gives Iesha a look that begs forgiveness for something.
OOC:
Viktor goes upstairs to prepare the fire and get away from this existentialist crisis.
Last edited August 15, 2019 10:43 am
Aug 15, 2019 12:16 pm
Urthask sheathes his sword and murmurs a prayer for Iesha in the tongue of his people. He waits for everyone else to leave, then departs the room last.
Aug 15, 2019 2:59 pm
I understand completely. Gongar stows his hammers settles his gear and with a final nod to Iesha exits the house to let Hetris do her work.
Aug 17, 2019 1:34 pm
Hearing Iesha's request to cleanse everything with fire, Skriz gestures at the desk and fungus in the foreboding cave and says, "Shall I start a fire here as well?"
Aug 18, 2019 12:57 am
Burn 'em if you've got 'em Skriz. Hetris says as she looks for a nicely dry area to ignite her burning hands.
Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Gongar stands next to the rest of his companions watching as the manor house is completely consumed in flames. Lets get a move on, we have a townhouse in Magnimar to look over.
Aug 26, 2019 1:37 pm
What a strange place, Viktor mumbles idly. Yes, my friend. We should make probably haste, too.
Aug 26, 2019 1:42 pm
Once the group prepares to leave, Skriz starts a fire making sure to encompass the fungus as much as possible. Once he's satisfied that the fire is doing it's job, he follows Gongar.
Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am
You set small fires in strategic locations before rushing out of the building. It seems to take longer than it should to spread, but eventually the house is totally engulfed in flames as you look on. After quite some time, there is a loud groan as the structure gives in and collapses on itself. The Misgivings are finally destroyed, along with whatever evil lurks within the walls.
Aug 28, 2019 8:54 pm
Viktor is fascinated by the strange beauty of the destruction but eventually finds his way to the horses. Let's report what we found and head on to Magnimar.
Aug 28, 2019 10:14 pm
Good idea Viktor, the Sheriff should know what happened here and why we are absent.
Aug 29, 2019 6:50 pm
You make it back to the sheriff just a few hours later and he looks exhausted, "Ah good, you're back! I trust everything went well?"
Aug 30, 2019 10:04 am
Viktor greets Hemlock like an old friend. Might as well say it like it is. I'm afraid we had to burn down the house. It was infested with evil spirits and the walking dead. He lays an eye on his comrades, expecting backup on his story.
Aug 30, 2019 2:21 pm
Nodding to Viktor, Gongar caries on the story, Unfortunately, Belor, the Manor house had been turned into a pit of evil. Aldern along with his wife had turned into undead. She harbored a deep hatred of her husband for killing her and help us dispatch him, then decided to go to her final rest in the flames of the manor along with all the other spirits that resided there. We did find a new lead that will take us to Magnimar. Apparently Aldern had some contacts there that might have some information on what might be going on.

Gongar loks around to make sure he hasn't forgotten anything then asks, Do you have any idea why Aldern would have been in contact with people in Magnimar?
OOC:
I'm going to roll a local knowledge check to see if Gongar might know the answer to that question.

Rolls

Knowledge (local) - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Sep 5, 2019 12:59 pm
Hemlock shakes his head, "Such a tragedy... The Foxgloves have been in the area as nobles for over a hundred years..."

"Well, Aldern lived in Magnimar," Hemlock says, "So it's not a surprise that his plotting was based there."
OOC:
Gongar would already know that Aldern lived in Magnimar full time
Sep 5, 2019 2:15 pm
Viktor addresses the sheriff with a serious tone. As Gongar said, we have decided to investigate the Foxglove estate in the city. We found some... Disturbing clues while searching the manor and will be travelling there shortly. I hope things there are not as dire as they seem.
Sep 8, 2019 3:07 pm
"I feel like there is a bigger picture here that we are missing. What other evil are these villains up to, and why have they decided to frame me for it?"
Sep 13, 2019 7:32 am
Who can say about the deranged ravings of an undead mad man? The more I ponder this, the more I am convinced that we will learn dark things in Magnimar.
Last edited September 13, 2019 9:07 am
Sep 14, 2019 1:46 am
"I think that's a good course of action for now," the sheriff replies, "I'll keep an eye on things around here while you investigate in Magnimar."
Sep 17, 2019 3:11 pm
Thank you Sheriff, we will return with any information we can gather at Aldern's post and hopefully bring some closure to these murders. gongar will nod to Belor and shake his hand on the way out the door.

Once everyone is outside Well, it looks like we have some travelling on our hands. Everyone gather your things and meet at the edge of town to get a move on. As the group disperses, Gongar will head home and stow all his brewing gear and get his travel pack ready.
OOC:
How many days will it take us to get to Magnamar?
Sep 18, 2019 3:45 am
With a nod, Viktor leaves to ready his horse. The City of Monuments it is then. It must be... at least 40 years since I visited there. I was only a boy then. When he reaches Sandpoint's East gate he is clothed in a travel garb with his shield and armor stoved by the saddle. He greets anyone already there, ready to ride.
Last edited September 18, 2019 3:45 am
Sep 18, 2019 6:26 am
Always fully prepared for a journey, Urthask only makes a quick stop by Daviren Hosk's to let the man know he's headed for Magnimar before meeting the others at the east gate.
Sep 18, 2019 12:35 pm
Skriz returns to his rooms and gathers his belongings. He gets sidetracked reading a book on tribal rituals of Belkzen, which in turn sidetracks him into a treatise on migration patterns of the carrion birds of that area, which then leads him into a set of notes he wrote on a spell that allows you to sprout wings. Unfortunately, sprouting wings didn't convey the actual ability to fly. It only served to give the recipient some dazzling plumage that tending to molt all over the furniture.

After twenty minutes or so of being caught in a research spiral, Skriz snaps out of it, suddenly remembering he was to meet the others on the edge of town and quickly scurries to meet them.
Sep 19, 2019 8:58 pm
Shadow heads for home to say goodbye, then remembers how long those usually take, and instead sends a hastily-scrawled note via urchin.
Sep 23, 2019 2:24 pm
OOC:
I'm assuming we still have Hetris in the group and figured we could start on the journey.
Nodding to each member as they arrive, noting the stoic nature of the group. Hopefully this trip will lay to rest, or at least bear some light on the situation at hand. Bringing the murderer to justice should be our focus but not to the exclusion of any other clues that might help us understand why they are trying to frame Urthask for these crimes.

Gongar check to make sure he has all his gear and that it won't chafe during the journey Lets be off.
Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm
OOC:
Sorry, yes, Hetris is still with the group. She didn't really have anything to tidy up before heading to Magnimar. :) Sorry for the absence in posting.
Yes, let's.
Oct 5, 2019 10:45 pm
The sheriff sees you off and informs you that it's roughly a 50 mile trip to Magnimar so it'll likely take a few days. You set off and make good time on your trip and arrive before dusk on the third day.

Magnimar is a sprawling city on the coast, home to some 16,000 people. The gates are currently closed and a voice calls down, "State your names and business!"
Oct 6, 2019 9:08 pm
My name is Gongar, My companions and I are travelling from Sandpoint, please open the gate so we can enjoy a fine ale and a warm bed tonight. He isn't very keen on giving information about their real purpose while shouting over the walls.
Oct 6, 2019 11:12 pm
Viktor raises his voice to echo the plea.My name is Viktor of Sandpoint, and my friend Gongar here tells the truth. We are but journymen looking for rest.
Last edited October 6, 2019 11:13 pm
Oct 7, 2019 6:44 am
"Urthask, son of Galazur, of the Order of the Bear." Apart from this declaration to maintain his honor, Urthask remains tight-lipped. He has never been comfortable in cities, more often camping outside them rather than entering. Sandpoint was the first large settlement he ever spent much time in, and here now is a much, much larger place with far more people.
Oct 7, 2019 10:38 am
"I am Skriz, scholar and student of the arcane arts. We also have business with the Stone of Seers. I personally know Master Leis Nivlandis and need to consult with him. Now please kindly let a citizen of this great city come in so we might carry out our business."
OOC:
Knowledge: Local to recall the proper procedures to enter the city.
[ +- ] Stone of Seers
Last edited October 7, 2019 10:49 am

Rolls

Knowledge: Local - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Oct 9, 2019 12:19 am
The guard looks at you over the walls and shrugs, "Seems reasonable enough to me," he says, then turns away, "Open the gate!"

With that, the gate opens slowly, revealing the magnificent city of Magnimar. Where would you like to go first?
Oct 9, 2019 1:01 pm
After several days on the road Gongar is more than excited to visit an inn for a hot meal, a tankard of ale and a hot bath. Probably not in that order but as soon as possible. Maybe the ale with the bath first then the meal...

Skriz, do you want to settle in then visit Master Leis Nivlandis? Urthask, why don't you join me at the inn and we'll grab an ale and knock the travel dust off ourselves.
Oct 10, 2019 5:45 am
The inn sounds good to me as well. While we're there, we could ask if anyone knows where the townhouse is.
Oct 10, 2019 11:25 am
"Master Nivlandis? Maybe after we've investigated Aldern Foxglove's dealings here in Magnimar. I'd rather not engage with the Stone of Seers unless we need to." Skriz pauses to look around and get his bearings in the city. "I've heard there's a fantastic inn just a few blocks from here: good food, good ale, good baths."
Oct 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Urthask lets the others lead. The city is overwhelming! The sights, sounds, and smells, the crush of people... he hopes this inn is a relatively quiet place, and that they have ample stabling for Arktos.
Oct 11, 2019 12:59 am
Excellent, sound just right for a group of foot sore travelers. Lead the way Skriz. As they proceed to the inn Skriz describes Gongar will keep an eye out for anyone that seems overly hostile to the group. I think we are a fairly odd bunch though Magnamarian's might be used to it. Hopefully they will be able to carry out their investigation unhindered by the locals.
Oct 12, 2019 3:18 am
The streets of Magnimar are quite busy. Those of you not used to large cities can't help but notice all of the diverse sounds and bright clothing all around you. It's nearly overwhelming, but your more seasoned companions are able to guide you through the throngs of people to an inn not too far from the gate.

Above the front door is an image of a dragon with a tankard of ale gripped in its claws. The sign with the inn's name on it is so faded as to be unreadable, but on the whole it seems to be well maintained.

You enter the crowded place and find that it's more like what you are used to. The boisterous crowds are similar to those you'd see in almost any tavern in a small town (if a bit more diverse in heritage). You find a table not far from the corner and soon have a chance to rest and enjoy a decent drink.
Oct 14, 2019 2:36 pm
Shadow skips along happily in the wake of her larger companions. She puts her hands deep into her pockets to prevent touching all the marvelous things she sees along the way, just hanging there, no one paying attention.
Oct 15, 2019 8:33 pm
Viktor appreciates the change of pace from small Sandpoint, even though he's lived around there most of his life. He's been in Magnimar a couple of times before but those were ages ago. I wonder if that brothel is still in business... Well I suppose it doesn't really matter, surely Mary hasn't been in the business for many, many years.
Oct 24, 2019 11:29 pm
OOC:
Where you would you like to go from here?
Oct 25, 2019 4:06 am
Perhaps a short stop at the inn and then on to the Townhouse that was mentioned in the letter? Viktor asks idly as he walks deeper in to the city.
OOC:
I think the townhouse is our priority at this point.
Oct 26, 2019 10:56 pm
You take some time at the inn to eat and rest from the road before getting directions to the townhouse that was owned by Aldern. It is a three-story home in a good part of town. Oddly, there are boards nailed over the windows on the first floor.
Oct 27, 2019 3:03 pm
That does not bod well for our investigation. Spread out around the house and see if there is anything suspicious about the way this is boarded up. Gongar makes sure his hammer is loose in its loop and then looks around the surrounding building. Trying to Identify anything that might be strange or out of place.
Oct 27, 2019 3:30 pm
Urthask nods, and then he and Arktos go to scout around the house in the opposite direction.

Rolls

Urthask's Perception - (1d20+8)

(7) + 8 = 15

Arktos' Perception - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

Oct 28, 2019 12:11 am
Viktor goes on to investigate the front door. He also would try to see inside from any windows near the door. Be careful, everyone.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Oct 29, 2019 3:23 pm
Skriz pauses a moment, murmuring a short, arcane phrase and his eyes glow faintly green as he scrutinizes the front of the building for any magic traces.
OOC:
Casting Detect Magic
Last edited October 29, 2019 3:23 pm
Nov 2, 2019 1:09 am
You move around the building to see if there's any sorts of clues about why it's boarded up. The back door is boarded up and the windows are boarded up well enough that you can't really see through any cracks. There is no noise coming from the building right now and no magic to be seen about the exterior.
Nov 3, 2019 1:24 pm
Did Aldern leave a key or any clues how to get in when he died? Viktor asks when he circles around and meets the rest
Nov 3, 2019 2:11 pm
"Keys? Who needs keys?" Shadow smiles as she moves forward, pulling out a roll of cloth. She looks over at the others and suggests, "Maybe provide some cover while I do this? Townsfolk are seldom keen on 'unlawful entrance'."

Rolls

disable device - (1d20+13)

(10) + 13 = 23

Nov 4, 2019 10:17 am
Viktor moves in to block the view from the street, standing by the door back towards Shadow. Make it quick, he whispers. You are all too right about the townsfolk's prejudices.
Nov 8, 2019 8:49 pm
The door opens easily to Shadow's skilled hands and the door swings inward, revealing a dusty but well-made home with several doors off of the main room. A moment later you hear the voice of Aldern, "Oh, Iesha, we have guests!" and then he shouts, "Please come to the kitchen and join us for a meal!"
Nov 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Viktor lays an incredulous look at the others at the sound of the man they fought and destroyed not a week ago. Carefully, he raises his finger to his lips as to signal silence as he draws his flail. He nods deeper into the derelict house and advances towards the door that might lead to where the voice came from.
Last edited November 13, 2019 2:50 pm
Nov 13, 2019 3:17 pm
Gognar looking as shocked as Viktor pulls his hammers, muttering to himself about how ghosts should stay dead when they are killed. All the while glancing around the main room for anything out of place as he moves toward the door the call came from.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Nov 18, 2019 10:49 pm
Shadow bravely lets everyone else go first, then closes the door quietly behind them, making sure it is NOT locked.
Nov 19, 2019 1:06 am
Urthask's jaw drops before he grimly clenches his teeth. Hand on his sword hilt, he follows Gongar and strides into the kitchen.
Nov 19, 2019 2:39 am
You move through the home to an opulent kitchen and see Aldern and Iesha sitting at the table talking while a pot sitting on the stove simmers and you can smell a delicious scent coming from it.

"Ah my friends, welcome to our home!" Aldern says with a smile.

Likewise, Iesha smiles, "It's so good to see you!"
Nov 19, 2019 9:35 am
Xanesha sent us, Viktor blurts out, only now lowering his weapon.

Rolls

blatant lie - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Nov 19, 2019 3:06 pm
Skriz, still finding all of this hard to believe given what his companions told him about Aldern Foxglove, and what he witnessed in the manor house with the Skinsaw Man and Iesha tries to make some sense of what is going on here.
OOC:
Skriz would like to detect magic and also try to discern whether this is real or not
Nov 19, 2019 6:38 pm
Aldern looks confused, "Xanesha? Don't think I know that one!"

Skriz detects that there is indeed some magic about the area.
OOC:
if he'd like to continue focusing on it, he can get more info
Nov 19, 2019 8:10 pm
OOC:
Skriz continues to the next round of detect magic.

Rolls

Knowledge: Arcana - (1d20+13)

(8) + 13 = 21

Nov 19, 2019 8:16 pm
OOC:
And make me an Arcana check as well, please
Nov 28, 2019 6:46 am
Viktor tries to get a better look at the supposed Iesha who he spent some time talking to and thinks he would recognize. He inches closer and squints slightly, trying to figure out what is happening.

Rolls

perception - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

Nov 30, 2019 2:00 am
While you talk to the Foxgloves, Skriz is able to sense that the magic in the room is of the transmutation school.

Viktor watches for anything that would clue him in that something is wrong. Other than the fact that he knows these two to be dead, he can't find anything obviously wrong.
Dec 2, 2019 11:09 am
Viktor is visibly uncomfortable as he shakily asks Iesha and Aldern What do you want with us?
Dec 2, 2019 3:14 pm
"There's transmutation magic at work here, though I'm not sure I can figure out quite what it is being used for."
OOC:
Is there a way for Skriz to identify what the spell or effect is? Arcana and Spellcraft below just in case, the bonuses are the same.

Rolls

Arcana or Spellcraft check - (1d20+13)

(7) + 13 = 20

Dec 4, 2019 12:09 am
Iesha smiles, "Just to have dinner with friends, of course!" she replies with a musical laugh.

Skriz can't tell what the exact spell might be, but it clearly has changed the shape of whoever or whatever it is affecting.
Dec 5, 2019 8:18 am
I watched you both die, Viktor says to the two creatures in front of him. Now tell us what you are doing here or this will get dangerous for all of us!
Last edited December 5, 2019 8:19 am
Dec 5, 2019 1:10 pm
Skriz whispers to his companions, "They may be magically shape-shifted or changed somehow, but I don't know what exact spells or magicks they are using to do so."
Dec 5, 2019 2:20 pm
"Are you saying those are NOT, in fact, Aldern and Iesha Foxglove? That this is an illusion? A glamor?"
Last edited December 5, 2019 2:20 pm
Dec 5, 2019 4:50 pm
"Not a glamour or illusion... something else entirely. They're magically changed."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.