Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

load previous
Apr 5, 2019 1:08 am
Skriz will notice that all of the subjects in the window are classic spell components in necromancy magic (scorpion venom, vampire's breath, the tongues of deathwing moths, belladonna, and the heart of a maiden slain by poison). After thinking for a moment, he also realized that they all have ties to theoretical formulae for the transformation into a lich.
Apr 5, 2019 11:14 am
Skriz scrutinizes the images for a long moment, his face going from curious to troubled. "That is peculiar... why would anyone want to have the recipe to make powerful undead in the windows of their home?" He pulls out his grimoire and begins sketching the images while he continues explaining to the others what he discovered.

"These images are necromantic in nature. They are spell components and if I'm not mistaken, specifically a set of components to theoretically transform oneself into a lich. It's far more complex than that that, but I won't bore you with the details."

After a moment's pause, he continues, "Unless of course you'd like the details..."

Another pause, and then, "It is one of my specialties, you know. Necromancy that is. Along with other esoteric arcana, ancient histories, Thassilonian lore, and..."

He glances back at the others and realizes he's rambling on, stops talking abruptly with a nervous chuckle, and clears his throat.
Apr 5, 2019 12:15 pm
No no, please continue. This is fascinating. Hetris says happily, looking over the materials herself. Perhaps it is another such as yourself, looking to collect the esoterica needed for various spells and arcane formulae? she continues, brain spinning.
Apr 5, 2019 12:56 pm
Urthask scowls, but says nothing. Everything about the room is repulsive to him, as is his new companions' obvious fascination with the subject, but he sees the value of these allies and would not make enemies of them. He backs Arktos out of the room and stands guard in the hallway.

A lich. Is that what they were up against here?
Last edited April 5, 2019 12:58 pm
Apr 7, 2019 4:13 pm
Fascinating indeed, but I'm afraid we'd better move on with the investigation, Viktor says, opting for a middle ground between Urthask and Hetris. Moving to the hallway to open the opposite door, he hesitates a bit. On second thought, go on. Your knowledge might very well prove to be important and useful.

Viktor opens the opposite door.
Last edited April 7, 2019 4:14 pm
Apr 8, 2019 2:07 pm
I'd focus less on the fascinating theory and more on the utilitarian. How would we kill whatever was made from that spell? Gongar moves beside Viktor to back him up as he opens the door. Sweeping the area for anything that might be a threat.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Apr 8, 2019 3:21 pm
Skriz flips through his notes for a moment, mumbling to himself the entire time. "Now mind you, this is all theoretical." He points at the windows and continues, "I don't know if those things would work or not, I just know that it's one theories to make oneself into a lich... maybe. I've never heard or read about a formula like this one working, let alone observed the ritual myself."
OOC:
Knowledge check to see if Skriz knows anything else about the formula or liches in general or if there's any relevance or connection to this place. Use or ignore whatever rolls are applicable.

Rolls

Knowledge (Arcana) for info on the formula or liches - (1d20+13)

(19) + 13 = 32

Knowledge (History) for any relevance to this manor - (1d20+13)

(1) + 13 = 14

Knowledge (Local) if that's more pertinent than History - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

Apr 8, 2019 4:01 pm
Opening the door across the hall, a stone fireplace sits in the northwestern portion of this chamber. Paintings hang on the walls to the north and south, each covered over with a thick sheet of dusty cobwebs that obscures its subject from view. On the opposite side of the room are another set of double-doors.

Aside from what he already knows, Skriz isn't able to determine any more or make any connections between lichdom and the Foxglove family.

Map
Apr 8, 2019 11:28 pm
Shadow quietly follows along behind Viktor and Gongar.
Apr 11, 2019 6:16 am
Viktor seems to relax a bit, his shoulders dropping. I wonder who they were, he mumbles as he solemnly walks to one of the pictures to wipe it clean.
Last edited April 11, 2019 6:17 am
Apr 11, 2019 1:45 pm
Wiping away the dust, Viktor can see a portrait of a young boy dressed in clothing that was fashionable in Magnimar years ago. A small plaque on the frame says "Aldern Foxglove"
Apr 12, 2019 5:40 am
Viktor glances at the others and nods towards the picture, possibly about to say something.

Rolls

knowledge local, who's this - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Apr 12, 2019 2:29 pm
Viktor will recognize the name from his new companions mentions of a noble that they had saved during the goblin attack on Sandpoint.
Apr 15, 2019 6:46 am
Ready, Viktor asks before opening the door on the opposite side of the gallery. We all heard the wailing, there must be something here.
Apr 15, 2019 2:08 pm
As ready as I'll ever be...
Apr 15, 2019 5:23 pm
The door opens with a loud creak. The furniture in this bedroom, while dusty and unkempt, does not exhibit any major signs of water or mold damage. The one exception is a dark stain on the desk near the northern window

Map
Apr 16, 2019 3:35 pm
Not seeing a foe he can swing a hammer at is starting to get to Gongar, why can't we find anything in this bloody house. Everything we have found so far points to this place and we get here and nothing is here!
OOC:
Does the portrait of Aldern Foxglove seem like he should be much older than he actually is? I wasn't sure if your description of his cloths would be something Gongar would have noticed. Like maybe Aldern is supposed to be like a hundred years old or something.
Last edited April 16, 2019 3:36 pm
Apr 16, 2019 3:41 pm
OOC:
Nah, it's more like the fashion 15 years ago
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.