Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

load previous
Jul 27, 2018 12:57 pm
Death never is... Gongar says under his breath as he follows the Sheriff into the building.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Healing - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Perception - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jul 27, 2018 3:39 pm
Archie ties a cloth over his nose and mouth, ensuring a small mint leaf is crushed against it to overpower the smell of death in the room as he takes in the sights.

Rolls

Heal - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Perception - (1d20+9)

(18) + 9 = 27

Survival - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Jul 28, 2018 3:28 pm
Shadow sets her mouth in a line as she follows her comrades inside.

Rolls

Heal - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Perception - (1d20+11)

(12) + 11 = 23

Survival - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Aug 1, 2018 2:37 pm
Entering the mill, you come upon a horrible scene. The floor of the mill is coated with sawdust intermixed with a large amount of blood. There are many foot prints in the sawdust, showing that a mighty struggle took place here. The smell inside the mill is horrible, smelling like rotting meat much too strongly for it to have come from the recently-deceased bodies.

Two mangled bodies occupy the room; one male and the other female. The horribly-mangled body of Katrine Vinder lies amid a heap of firewood on the floor below the log-splitter. It's quite clear that the woman was pushed into the log-splitter and suffered a horrible death.

Banny Harker's body is affixed to the wall by a number of hooks normally used to hang machinery. His face has been peeled off and his lower jaw is missing entirely. Carved into the bare chest of the man is the seven-pointed rune that's become all too common lately. Shadow's examination of the body reveals a number of claw marks, as though made by claws on a five-fingered, human-sized hand. These claw wounds stink strongly of the same rotting flesh stench that fills the whole building.

Embedded into the floor by the log splitter is a handaxe. Bloody finger marks are on the handle and the blade is caked with rotten flesh and fragments of bone. The blade of the axe smells even worse than the claw marks on the body. To Urthask, it smells like the rotten stench of some corporeal undead monstrosity.

Out on the pier where the timber is delivered from upriver, you find a set of muddy, barefoot footprints leading toward the mill's interior.
OOC:
Sorry for the delay on this! It was quite difficult to find the time to write such a long post where I had to reference the book a dozen times.
Aug 1, 2018 2:59 pm
Urthask studies the size and shape of the handprint on the axe and footprints on the pier to see if they might have been made by the same creature that clawed Banny Harker.
Aug 1, 2018 3:35 pm
Inspecting the handprints more closely, Urthask finds that the size of the handprint on the axe handle matches up with the hand of Katrine.
Aug 1, 2018 3:50 pm
"It looks like these people put up a fight, but they probably didn't stand a chance."

Urthask is loathe to subject Arktos to the powerful stench but he has the bear try to pick up a scent trail where the footprints begin.
Aug 2, 2018 10:02 pm
Shadow shares her findings, covering her nose and mouth with an arm to try and avoid gagging.
Aug 3, 2018 8:09 pm
The footprints lead to the edge of the pier and stop there. Your best guess would be that the person came from the marsh on the other side of the river.
Aug 4, 2018 1:15 am
"Once we're done looking for clues here I say we cross the river and track this murderer down.
Aug 4, 2018 3:39 am
Archie finishes his sketch of the symbol on the corpse's chest, and puts his formula book away. "Before we do, I would speak to Lyrie again. She may be able to tell us why this symbol is being carved into the corpse of man freshly murdered, and give us some insight. A far shot, admittedly, but her knowledge of Thassilonian lore is a resource we had best use whilst we still have it."

The little gnome adjusts the cloth he has tied across his nose, better positioning the mint leaf. "Or, if you like, I can speak with her alone while the rest of you investigate on the far side of the river. I'll be happy to meet back with you here. I do not want any leads we have found here to go cold..."
Aug 8, 2018 4:42 am
OOC:
Are you splitting up?
Aug 8, 2018 11:07 am
"I think we should stick together," Shadow suggests.
Aug 8, 2018 3:36 pm
I doubt we will be able to track whoever is responsible through the swamp unless arktos can pick up the scent of the undead, but its worth checking out. If we do manage to find them your skills would be sourly missed Archibald. Can the research wait until we are out of options on the other side of the river? Gongar looks to the gnome hoping that he will accompany the group across the river in search of the perpetrators.
Aug 10, 2018 12:45 am
Seeing the group consensus, Archibald nods in acquiesence. "Very well. Sheriff, please don't let the magistrate take her until I return! I'll not lose this lead!"
Aug 10, 2018 2:02 am
"I'll make sure she's still here when you get back," Hemlock assures the alchemist.

You are able to make it into the marsh on the other side and begin looking for any clues.
OOC:
Perception checks to see if you find anything!
Aug 10, 2018 7:08 am
While Urthask keeps a lookout for clues, Arktos starts sniffing around for the stench of the undead.

Rolls

Urthask Perception - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Arktos Perception - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm
Stay alert and don't stray to far from the group as we look around. Gongar warns the group as they start looking for the trail or any other clues.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Aug 10, 2018 10:48 pm
Shadow searches the ground and plants for signs of their quarry's passage.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+11)

(14) + 11 = 25

Aug 11, 2018 1:33 am
Archie searches the area for any clues that can help solve this mystery.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.