Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

load previous
Jun 17, 2019 1:36 pm
"I have a bad feeling she is going to dig up a corpse, and then they will both turn on us."
Last edited June 17, 2019 1:36 pm
Jun 20, 2019 12:34 am
Hetris moves down the stairs after Iesha, carefully observing everything the woman does.
Jun 21, 2019 11:40 pm
The stairs end in a limestone cavern. The walls drip with moisture, and swaths of black and dark blue mold grow in spiraling, tangled patterns on the floor, ceiling, and walls. Rubble and broken bones clutter the floor, and a rhythmic sound-like the breathing of some immense creature-echoes through the cave from three tunnels, one to the north and two to the west. Of the two western tunnels, the southernmost one seems to be a relatively new creation.

She stops and the bottom, looks at the tunnels and then picks the northern passage and begins moving in that direction.
Jun 22, 2019 5:30 am
I too have a bad feeling, and that feeling agrees with yours, Urthask. Viktor observes the passages and tries to listen to any threats. We should follow her, but be wary. We do not know if she is an ally.

Rolls

perception - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm
Following the women making sure to not get in her way, Gongar tries to identify the "breathing" noise and he tires to determine if she is leading us into a trap.

Rolls

Knowledge (Local) - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Sense Motive - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Jun 24, 2019 7:28 pm
You can't seem to figure out what exactly is causing that noise, but it doesn't make you feel comforted as it continues.

Viktor is having a hard time getting a read on Iesha, as she seems to be filled with a single-minded determination. As you begin to follow, you hear a loud scuffle. Peering down the tunnel, you see that Iesha has handily dispatched a trio of ghouls that tried to block her path.

She doesn't even stop long enough to clean her now-bloody hands as she moves down the tunnel. You can tell you are getting close to the sound of the breathing.

When you enter the next chamber, you realize the source of the noise. The cramped tunnel opens into a vertiginous gulf here, a cathedral-like cavern with a roof arching thirty feet overhead and dropping into a sloshing pool of foamy seawater fifty feet below. The surging of the water echoing through causes the sounds. A steep stone ledge winds down to these surging depths, its slope glistening with moisture and mold. A stone door stands in the northwestern wall about halfway down the slope.
Jun 25, 2019 2:36 pm
What is this place? Viktor asks no one in particular as he takes in the size of the place, wide eyed. The Foxglove name seems to have not a few secrets to it. I have a feeling we've arrived at the belly of the beast. Viktor tries to peer at Iesha to see where she went and what she's doing. Do you see the pale woman? I don't fancy letting her out of my sight after what she did to those walking corpses...
Last edited June 25, 2019 2:39 pm
Jun 25, 2019 3:02 pm
"That's an ominous sight." Urthask remarks. Against his better judgment, he begins leading the way down the ledge.
Jun 25, 2019 3:13 pm
Following Urthask with eyes for only a moment, Viktor starts after him on the slippery ledge. Right behind you.
Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm
Iesha begins moving down the slope alongside Urthask and stops at the door, placing her hand on it and closing her eyes before smiling and opening it.

The air in this damp cavern reeks of a horrific stench - a foul combination of decay, brine, and mold. The cave contains a rickety table, its damp surface cluttered with all manner of what appears to be garbage: empty bottles, bits of clothing, crumpled bits of paper, and more, lying in neatly organized rows. A painting leans against the far side of the table, facing a large leather chair that sits nearby. This chair's high back and cushion are horribly stained by smears of rotten meat and its arms are sticky with blood. A smaller table sits against the southern wall, its surface heaped with plates and platters of rotten, maggot-infested meat. The horrific stench of the room seems strongest to the west, where the cave's wall has been overtaken by a horrific growth of dark green mold and dripping fungi. At the center, a patch of black tumescent fungus grows, its horny ridges and tumor-like bulbs forming what could almost be taken to be a humanoid outline. What appears to have once been an exquisite puzzle box the size of a man's fist lies smashed on the ground at the fungoid shape's feet.

Sitting in the chair is a familiar figure to some of you, Aldern Foxglove, though he is gaunt and pale. His fingers are tipped with claws and sharp teeth fill his mouth. He appears to have been transformed into some sort of ghoul. His mouth drops wide open when Iesha steps through the door.

Aldern tries to stand, but his legs can't hold him and he crawls forward on the ground, reaching hesitantly for Iesha. "I'm sorry, my love," he sobs out, "I failed you and I hurt you so badly. Please forgive me!"

Iesha smiles and stretches her hand out to caress his cheek lovingly, "Of course, my love," she replies, "I will of course forgive you."

What do you do?
Jun 25, 2019 3:57 pm
Urthask knows this is a bad place to be, but is honor-bound to see this through. This must be the heart of all the ghoulish killings. But why? And why is he being framed?

He lowers his visor and prepares for a fight, but watches and waits.
Jun 25, 2019 4:39 pm
Viktor drops the rough ball of his flail to dangle by it's chain and moves slightly to the west towards the fungal growths, observing it quickly as he goes and keeping Iesha and Aldern well on the other side of his beaten round shield. How can that horrible ghoul have such life like words? Don't listen to it Iesha! he commands, without thinking further.
Last edited June 26, 2019 6:38 am

Rolls

arcana (fungus) - (1d20+9)

(13) + 9 = 22

religion (fungus) - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

perception - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Jun 25, 2019 4:57 pm
OOC:
I didn't realize Aldern and the fungus-man were one and the same creature. I guess I read that wrong.
Jun 25, 2019 5:12 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
I didn't realize Aldern and the fungus-man were one and the same creature. I guess I read that wrong.
OOC:
They aren't. The 'fungus-man' is just an outline in the fungus, so you have no clue what it really is. Aldern is some sort of ghoul separate from the fungus
Jun 26, 2019 6:37 am
OOC:
Sorry if I caused the confusion, I meant that my back is towards the fungal outline and I'm facing Aldern and Iesha.
Jun 27, 2019 2:30 pm
Viktor tries to figure out what the fungus might be, but can't recall having seen or heard of anything like it before.

As you watch Iesha and Aldern in trepidation, Iesha suddenly pulls her arm back and strikes Aldern across the face. As he falls to the floor in shock, Iesha screams angrily at him, "You killed me! I loved you and you betrayed me!"

Aldern looks shocked, but then there's a sudden shift in his demeanor. Where it was scared and ashamed before, it is now angry and slightly crazed. He climbs to his feet and smiles maliciously, "I suppose I'll have to kill you again then, won't I?"

He looks for the first time at the party and his eyes lock onto Urthask, "You!" he shouts with a crazed glee, "You live! Well and good, for now I shall have the reward of tasting your heart while it is yet warm. Be patient, I shall get to you next!"

His expression turns to rage and he begins attacking Iesha, war razor in hand now. He scores some nasty hits on Iesha, but she barely notices.

Iesha: 8 damage taken
Aldern: 6 damage taken
OOC:
Your turn!
Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am
Viktor stares at the undead couple arguing just long enough to look like he is at a loss at what to do, until his eyes clear up with a resolute look. Shield raised high, he runs by Aldern, the flail trailing behind. Suddenly he jerks to a stop and flings the mace over his shield and towards Aldern's face.
OOC:
Moving to set up a possible flank for Aldern (not trying to flank with Iesha). AC for the attack of opportunity is 26 with dodge.

Rolls

Acrobatics to move in Aldern's reach - (1d20-2)

(14) - 2 = 12

Attack with light flail (B) - (1d20+8, 1d8+3)

1d20+8 : (5) + 8 = 13

1d8+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Jun 28, 2019 1:39 pm
Urthask has seen and heard enough. He lowers his lance and charges the undead. "It will be your black, ubdead heart that will bleed here!"
OOC:
Lance charge vs. Aldern. If Arktos can attack, it will be vs. Aldern as well. Several of his class abilities affect him and his allies:
[ +- ] Distracting Charge
[ +- ] Banner
[ +- ] Challenge
[ +- ] Cavalier's Charge
Last edited June 28, 2019 1:49 pm

Rolls

Lance charge - (1d20+14, 1d8+5)

1d20+14 : (12) + 14 = 26

1d8+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Arktos bite, damage  - (1d20+10, 1d6+4)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Arktos claw 1, damage  - (1d20+10, 1d4+4)

1d20+10 : (3) + 10 = 13

1d4+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Arktos claw 2, damage  - (1d20+10, 1d4+4)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d4+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Jun 28, 2019 8:15 pm
Skriz stands motionless for a few more moments than he should, he gaze still taking in all the sights in the room, his mind calculating what it all could mean. Eventually his focus comes back to the ghoul before him, and after a brief formulation, he utters a word and flicks a delicate clawed finger towards the undead man who used to be Aldern. A thin beam, incandescent and glowing with an eerie green light flashes into existence, creating a line between Skriz and the ghoul for a brief second.
OOC:
Casting Scorching Ray vs. Touch AC at Aldern Foxghoul

Rolls

Scorching Ray - (1d20+6, 4d6)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

4d6 : (1434) = 12

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.