Chapter 2: The Skinsaw Murders

load previous
May 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Being an adventurer, Viktor moves in to the room to inspect the painting that seems to have escaped the occupants rage. Slowly, he lifts it from the wall and turns it around for all to see. I have a bad feeling about this, but I want to know what has happened here.
May 11, 2019 4:58 pm
"No, don't touch it!" Urthask warns, but it's too late.
May 13, 2019 3:17 pm
Skriz looks around the door jam from the hall, curious to see what is on the painting that Viktor is inspecting.
May 13, 2019 8:10 pm
Viktor turns the portrait around, which is of a beautiful dark-haired Varisian woman in a thoughtful pose.
OOC:
Will save, Viktor!
May 15, 2019 8:27 am
...?

Rolls

will save - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

May 15, 2019 1:17 pm
As Viktor looks at the picture, he feels a powerful feeling of rage and when he turns to face his companions, he feels a compulsion to strike Hetris, but it passes quickly, leaving him with a feeling of shame.

Map
May 15, 2019 1:38 pm
I felt a compulsion just now, a sort of deep hatred, Viktor says, flustered. This place is one of hate and malice, of this I am sure. Casting a weird look at Hetris he takes a few steps back to inspect the painting. The person who lived here hated her, he says, nodding at the painting. I believe an unquiet spirit tried to project that hate through me. I do not mean to alarm you, but I felt you were the target, Hetris. Viktor keeps his eyes on the painting, not daring to look at his companions.
Last edited May 15, 2019 1:39 pm
May 15, 2019 1:53 pm
OOC:
Would Skriz get any overall insight to what has happened here or what has caused these phenomena with his background in necromancy?
May 15, 2019 2:41 pm
With his specialty in necromancy, Skriz would be able to make an educated guess that the house is haunted by a malevolent spirit. Whether this spirit is mindless in its rage or more cold and calculating is impossible to determine at this time.
May 15, 2019 3:19 pm
Hetris's eyes narrow at the mention of being the target. That's very interesting Viktor, thank you for your openness. We definitely need to tread lightly. Whatever is causing this heinousness, we should purge it.
May 16, 2019 7:25 am
Yes, we cannot leave it here for someone else to find. Do you Skriz have an understanding of how to go about making this place safe? Should we just burn the whole house down?
May 16, 2019 2:03 pm
We still have to find out what links this place to the murderer and why they would link Urthask to them! But I agree that in the end whatever resides here must be put to rest before this place will be safe for anyone besides the dead.
May 16, 2019 3:42 pm
Skriz's furry face scrunches up in surprise at the mention of burning the house down. "Oh no! I wouldn't want to lose the opportunity to study this fascinating phenomena. There's a treasure trove of information to be gleaned from this place." Calming down a bit as his brain begins tackling the problem at hand.

"But I understand your concern. This place is dangerous and needs to be dealt with one way or another. My understanding of haunts like the ones we are experiencing... they have a root cause. We find out what that is, maybe we can begin to rectify the situation. There is a malevolent spirit here.... somewhere. As he talks, he pulls out his oversized grimoire and begins leafing through it, apparently looking something up.

"Do any of you know who the woman is?"
OOC:
Rolls if needed. Skriz is quite knowledgeable in many fields and subjects. The knowledge rolls represent him looking up specific information in his grimoire, which he uses as a repository of notes and musings as well as spells.

Rolls

Knowledge: Arcana (if it applies to rituals to dispel the spirits) - (1d20+13)

(15) + 13 = 28

Knowledge: Religion (as it pertains to haunts, necromancy, and the undead) - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Knowledge: History (as it pertains to this manor, the Foxgloves, and or the woman in the painting) - (1d20+13)

(7) + 13 = 20

Knowledge: Local (if it is more pertinent than Knowledge: History for the same information) - (1d20+9)

(20) + 9 = 29

May 16, 2019 5:14 pm
Thinking on it, Skriz can't think of anything that would work under all circumstances to cleanse the house. Clearing a haunt often requires specific criteria be met that is particular to that haunt.

Skriz looks over the painting and finds a small inscription on it that says, "Iesha Foxglove." He also knows that Iesha was at one point the wife of Aldern, the acquaintance of his companions that owns this home.
May 16, 2019 6:05 pm
Flipping through the pages and speed reading with a clawed finger, Skriz stops and rereads a note. "Iesha Foxglove... she was the wife of an Aldern Foxglove." Looking up at the others, he continues, "I never really met the fellow but I understand some of you did. Anything suspicious from the Foxglove family that any of you could discern?"
May 17, 2019 7:22 am
Murder, suicide and disease is what happened to the previous inhabitants, as Gongar told it. It certainly counts as suspicious in my book that no one has lived here peacefully and that the ocean view was blocked by necromantic window paintings.
May 21, 2019 2:41 pm
OOC:
What now?

You haven't found the source of the crying that brought you upstairs yet. You have determined that place is haunted and there's some fascination that the owner had with lichdom.

The whole first floor is still unexplored and there is one more door on the second floor you haven't touched yet.
Map
May 22, 2019 1:45 pm
OOC:
Can we still hear the crying? Have we seen anything that might point us to what would have started the crying?
As Viktor says nothing stood out about the man himself though we didn't spend much time with him. Let us continue our search. Gongar shrugs his shoulders settling himself after the picture almost took control of Viktor. And moves with the party to the last door on this floor.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

May 22, 2019 2:21 pm
OOC:
There's been no more sobbing since you came upstairs
The final door opens to another set of stairs, this one going up further into the house.

Map
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.