Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Jan 16, 2017 1:33 pm
"Oh I'll have what they're having. But I could do without the overdramatic mysterious shit using announcement systems, it brings me out in a rash." Serana shakes her head. "You asked what we want to accomplish, so now we're asking you. You people have been shooting at us since we got here so we didn't really get a chance to ask before. What would nuking the city prove?"
Jan 16, 2017 4:03 pm
A pause. "The city? What makes you think I intend to bombard the city? I intend to destroy the space port! Valon cannot be allowed to leave this world alive."

The roof begins to open, dust raining down as the hatch ponderously slides away. The sun beams down into the chamber, banishing shadows left undisturbed for centuries.

"You've made some very questionable assumptions about my motives," the woman shouts, relying on her own formidable lungs instead of the base's speaker system. "Dangerous assumptions. That's not like you at all Serana."

Commander Pirle steps out of the control hub's office and into the light.
[ +- ] The map
Jan 16, 2017 4:35 pm
Serana's voice is quiet and wavering. Others can barely hear her speak.

"Epril....?"

Commander Pirle is Epril Margoyles. Serana's older sister.
Jan 16, 2017 4:43 pm
Seeing Serana's response is unsettling for Pudge. He wants to ask who this lady is and why she has such an affect on Serana, but instead hears himself ask, "So, eh, I guess this isn't a good time to crack a joke about still wanting the steak...?"
Jan 16, 2017 4:48 pm
Serana wrestles with herself. For a moment it seems like she's not going to say anything. Then...

"Her real name is Epril," she says aloud. "she's my sister. But I don't know what she's doing here."
Last edited January 16, 2017 4:49 pm
Jan 17, 2017 3:21 am
Wilhelm shrugs at the situation. After all, it wasn't too dissimilar from his own with Lilen. Lilen... he still wasn't sure what to do about that. She was a witch now, not the little girl he climbed boulders with while their parents were in the mines and fields. But was she not? What was different now that- STOP! That's enough of that. That's what's going to get you killed. What almost got you killed in the fires. Remember how much that burned. That feeling will keep you from stupid thoughts that waste time. "I'll leave you to deal with family matters. I'll go deal with the threats. I don't appreciate having guns pointed at me. Pudge, you got my back?"
Jan 17, 2017 1:44 pm
"Woah. Shit." Pudge didn't know what he was expecting Serana to say, but it sure wasn't that. "Okay, well, tell me what you want me to do." He turns to listen to Wilhelm's reaction, and nods silently in response. Facing Serana again, he adds, "And you better do it quick if you're looking to save the lives of your sister's soldiers."
OOC:
So, my next move would be to try to pinpoint the locations of the snipers that Wilhelm is about to go after. Is there some kind of scanner system that would allow me to do that, maybe something that would look for heat signatures? Or, is that something either I or Reave could do with psionics?
Jan 17, 2017 3:00 pm
OOC:
I suppose since Reave has already accounted for a bunch of minds it's only fair that Pudge can use that knowledge to pinpoint them. DC11 Psi check to reveal people nearby, DC16 for slightly further scanning range.
Jan 18, 2017 1:16 am
"I don't know what I want to do," says Serana. "I didn't even know Epril had joined the Mercenaries League. This doesn't make any sense at all! This doesn't make any..."

Serana notices Wilhelm is looking at something. Serana clicks: Eprils got the team at gunpoint.

"You've got your squad pointing guns at my friends? At me?" Serana punches the nearest column. She cracks the concrete. It falls off and reveals the metal underneath. "Tell your soldiers to lower the weapons Epril. We can talk this out or your soldiers can experience a vibro-scythe up close and personal. You talked about choice, so there's your choice!"
OOC:
I don't think I've ever tried intimidation before but rolling using STR for once. I think Serana is angry enough to try that.

edit - p.s. and if it would make any difference lets say Serana is teamed with Reave and is using her +1 bonus!
Last edited January 18, 2017 1:27 am

Rolls

intimidation - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Jan 18, 2017 2:33 pm
Epril has walked out to the railing. Her hair is auburn rather than blonde but there's a definite family resemblance between the two Margoyles sisters: and it's especially apparent now that she's leaning over the railing and rolling her eyes exaggeratedly.

She jabs a hand in the air. Wilhelm can hear light footsteps retreat down the walkway. Indeed, there might have been even more scouts out there than he first thought.

"There. Happy? We're wasting time, Serana. I've got a job to do and you're getting in my way."

She's wearing Montakon-made powered armour, a lighter and more flexible model compared to an Arbiter's. It's maroon and has a stylised V near the shoulder: the Vigilance Movement's insignia. Epril is working for the Vigil, or at the very least she's posing as one of their Vigilantes.

"Valon is about to leave the planet and this," Epril raises her voice even more, sweeping an arm towards the cannon, "is our only means of stopping him!"

Pudge detects a small power spike. Someone within the control hub is already working on getting the firing system back online.
Jan 21, 2017 5:29 pm
Wilhelm hops off of the tram and turns around. "I'm going to the fire control. Make it clear that any of these spineless cowards who try to stop me will find themselves embodying that term rather fully." He then adjusts his hat and heads for the hub.
Jan 21, 2017 5:46 pm
Serana nods as Wilhelm moves out. "No, not happening Epril. We can't let you do that. That cannons nuclear, thousands of civilians will die if you target the space port! There has to be another way. Hasn't this war of yours already taken enough lives?"
Jan 22, 2017 3:02 pm
"This war of...? Serana, this war started because the idiotic Mercenaries were more worried about their precious treaty than neutralising the Vault." Epril sneers. "If they had listened to reason we wouldn't be here."

"I wanted to blow the Vault up. I approached the League: I had a strategy in mind and I was always very open about the risks. Some Mercs agreed with me, the others said the civilian casualties would be too great." Epril sighs. "Instant civil war. Meanwhile Graves-Burton played both sides. He wanted to open it up and we all know how that turned out.

"You're right, thousands might die and that's tragic. But millions will perish if Valon gets off this planet. You've seen him in action, yes? One man who's a match for an entire Mercenary League division: what happens if he lets his friends out? Picture a dozen Valons. A hundred Valons, rampaging through Alpha Sector in the name of some ancient despot. Surely you and your friends understand what we're trying to do here?"
Jan 25, 2017 11:22 pm
"Epril you've no guarantee he'll do that. You've no guarantee that firing at the star port will even kill him! What if you take the shot and Valon still gets away?"

"You don't know what he'll do. I don't know what he'll do. But at the Vault.. he walked away. He could've killed us and let everyone else come through the gate but he didn't. We are not going to let you kill a thousand civilians for a 'maybe', it's not happening!"
OOC:
trying to persuade her obviously but primary goal is to distract her and her team while Wilhelm/lyra get closer

Rolls

persuasion - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Jan 29, 2017 2:55 pm
"If you're right, we live happily ever after. But what if you're wrong? I would be accountable for unleashing unbelievable horrors on the Sector. I would have done nothing to stop an avoidable tragedy."

Serana knows Epril, and she knows she's getting to her. The commander is as expressionless as her false-faced Major but Serana can recognise the telltale crack in her voice.

"The last time a Vault was found the High Council drowned an entire world in fire. I have seen these 'Ancients' before, Serana. They don't even think of us as the same species. They think of us like vermin gnawing at the remnants of their old empire. They kill us by the thousand, without pause and without effort."
OOC:
Epril is willing to talk. She's distracted: the party can re-position [up to 2 tiles] without her forces immediately reacting, but doing so will immediately end the conversation.
Jan 31, 2017 2:40 am
Pudge lets out an annoyed sigh. "My stars, this is a tired conversation, isn't it? I mean, pretty much throughout the whole of human history, military people have been trying to tell civilization how important it is to preemptively destroy 'the enemy,' right?" Pudge gives air quotes with his fingers.

While Pudge is talking, he's trying to determine if there's a way he can slow or stop the process of powering up the firing system.

"Obviously, we're all going to have different ideas about what kinds and levels of risk should be prevented with murder, and how much collateral damage we think is acceptable in preempting those risks, yeah? No surprise. But, just a second ago you got your might and your will mixed up. You fire that cannon and thousands of people _will_ die. With absolute certainty. Valon leaves the planet and... well, Serana is right, you have no idea what will happen. You can't see the future, and we're charting new territory here, so you're making massive world-altering decisions with super limited information. You've seen 'these ancients' before? Fine. That's not nothing. But we've seen this specific ancient before. We've spoken with him. And we know first-hand that he's not beyond the ability to see reason. Just because he's powerful, more powerful than any of us, all of us combined maybe, doesn't automatically make him the enemy."

At first, Pudge was joining the conversation to continue the distraction, but now he's starting to get caught up in his discourse. "Maybe your military mind decides that yes, his overwhelming power does make him the enemy, and the threat he poses is great enough to straight out murder just so many innocent people: children, families, great-grandparents, young people in love. But, you do need to factor this into your decision: if you try to fire that cannon, we will stop you. And if we don't stop you, it will be because you killed your own sister. Valon roaming the galaxy or not, is that a future you want to live in?"
OOC:
Feels like I should rolls something. What say you?
Jan 31, 2017 9:38 am
OOC:
I would totally argue that that should be a KNO roll. Not just because of bigger modifier (ha) but surely because it also serves as an appeal to logic
Feb 3, 2017 5:34 pm
OOC:
That sounds fair. Pudge can roll KNO as a sort of diplomacy attempt.

Alternatively Pudge can roll KNO+Tech to attempt to lock Epril's hacker out of the cannon's controls but that will be interpreted as an openly hostile act and will end the conversation.
Feb 3, 2017 5:46 pm
OOC:
Diplomacy.

Rolls

Stop the madness! - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Feb 4, 2017 10:28 am
"Of course I don't want to fight my own sister," Epril snapped. "You speak of this as if I planned for her to be here—"

Epril pauses. "Iraniii, isn't it? Well, well. Your father dies fighting an Ancient and yet here you stand, talking to me about sparing an Ancient's life for the sake of family.

"A horrific day. The Vigil didn't cover ourselves in glory. I wasn't even a full Vigilante then, I was just some pampered Councillor's daughter fresh from a stint at a top Montakon academy, a trainee attached to the unit for a routine investigation. Only this investigation involved a Vault." Epril flinches. Perhaps she's shuddering, but it's hard to tell beneath all that armour.

"This... thing... emerged and began to burn everything in sight. Flesh to ash, stone running like water, turning half the planet into a volcanic hellscape." Epril swallows. "We broke. Half of us died instantly and the rest fled like startled birds. But one man, a lone Enforcer, did not turn back.

Epril points down at Pudge. Her finger is trembling. "Your father went toe-to-toe with one of those monsters. He held his ground during the evacuation: his sacrifice stopped the Erdain incident from spreading off-world..."
OOC:
You've all kept Epril talking and may continue to do so.

If you do end the conversation with hostile action, you're still entitled to the free 2-tile surprise movement, and in addition Epril's forces will have a slight roll penalty for their first two turns. You've shaken them.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.