Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Mar 2, 2017 3:55 pm
Wilhelm continues fighting, but when he drops back to posture for another flurry Pudge gets a quick call on comms. "Pudge, can you rig me up something to shut Epril's cybernetics down? I can't avoid killing her much longer or I might end up shredded."

Rolls

Wear her down - (1d20+5, 1d8+5)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d8+5 : (8) + 5 = 13

Mar 2, 2017 11:59 pm
Seeing the hacker trying to get away from her, Serana bodily flings herself at him.

"Don't make this harder than it has to be.. we can't let you stay online. You can walk out of here with broken arms or I can take your damn head off."
OOC:
using Slam encounter power, cant remember if that needs a roll

Rolls

slam! - (1d20+9, 1d10+9)

1d20+9 : (8) + 9 = 17

1d10+9 : (5) + 9 = 14

Mar 5, 2017 12:28 am
OOC:
Can I use Disabling Virus to do something like what Wilhelm is asking?
Mar 5, 2017 1:37 am
OOC:
Hmm, I'll say yes, but you'd either have to end the virus effect on the drones or spend an Edge point to have two active at once. Note that Epril's not quite as heavily augmented as the Major (or Serana for that matter!) so it'll be a heavy debuff, but not complete immobilisation.
Mar 7, 2017 2:25 pm
OOC:
now that I think about it.. could have done that instead of driving all the way to the top of the map. Oh well this hacker is getting stomped either way.
Mar 8, 2017 2:56 pm
*comm crackle* "I'll see what I can do, Wil."

Pudge's adrenaline is pumping full-tilt now, and all his synapses are firing as quickly as ever. As soon as Serana and Reave clear the tram, he trows the thrusters in reverse, hoping to catch the controller-less drones following too closely and clip one or two.

Simultaneously, he locates Epril's command module on the subnet and attempts to insert a few lines of code that will burn out her servos. Unfortunately, given the sheer volume of activity demanding his focus, his code contains a typo rendering it harmless.
Last edited March 8, 2017 2:58 pm

Rolls

Hacking Epril - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Mar 8, 2017 10:34 pm
Epril is unaware of the attempt to disable her implants. She and Wilhelm trade more blows... and she comes off worse. It's clear that she's starting to flag, physically and mentally.

Epril looks to the control terminal and frowns. She's realised that the remote device has been inactive for a while, and correctly deduces that her team's hacker must be otherwise engaged.

The drones' AI seems capable of taking the initiative and responding to new events... except the one at the head of the formation, which for some reason completely fails to respond to the tram hurtling backwards. Military-grade or not it's well out of its weight class: caught between the tram and a support pillar, the drone gets snapped in half, both pieces staying airborne for a split-second before spiralling off in separate directions.

Noting the chaos that Pudge has wreaked, typos notwithstanding, the sniper switches back to her rifle and fires at him. The power setting is low (perhaps she's still heeding Epril's orders) and the tram's improvised armour blocks the worst of it, but Pudge isn't unscathed this time.

Having completely failed to re-assume control of her drones, Loren resorts to her backup plan. She takes up her SMG and prepares to join the fight in person.

Meanwhile her comrade-in-digital-arms has just been picked up and slammed into the cold hard surface of the walkway.

"You could throw him off," Reave suggests to Serana, indicating the drop. "If he breaks his neck he can hardly bring the cannon back online."
OOC:
The two remaining drones are still hacked as the first virus is still active. The map is the same except the tram has reversed one tile.

Wilhelm HP 6/7, EP 1/3
Serana HP 4/6, EP 2/3
Pudge HP 6/8, EP 3/3

Epril HP 8/14, 1 Injury, EP 2/3.

Hacker HP 5/7 (Currently suffering from Knockdown, will miss a turn)

Drones HP 6/9 [3 per unit]

Rolls

Sniper (rifle) - (1d20+5, 1d10+3)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d10+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Drone evasion (DC11 to dodge tram) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (20) + 2 = 22

1d20+2 : (19) + 2 = 21

1d20+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Epril melee - (1d20+3, 1d8+5)

1d20+3 : (13) + 3 = 16

1d8+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Loren KNO check vs virus (DC19) - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Mar 9, 2017 12:06 pm
Wilhelm presses the attack at the first sign of weakness. "Do you really want to die, Epril? Do you want to die with your final act being the failed murder of a million people? You're not a hero. You're not a villain. You're just a sad excuse for a commander that history will forget within the week."
Last edited March 9, 2017 12:07 pm
Mar 9, 2017 1:50 pm
Serana shoots Reave a venomous look although secretly she was thinking the same thing. "He's unarmed and knocked out to boot. I don't think I can do that in good conscience.. unless he gives us reason to."

She puts out a message over comms: "Hacker is neutralised. Reave can stick him in cuffs or something. How's everyone else doing?"
Mar 10, 2017 4:06 pm
"Sorry, Wil. Can't help you with Epril." Pudge says disappointedly. Then responding to Serana, "Cuffs likely won't do it; I'd be surprised if he doesn't have an implant. Assuming I'm right, the second he regains consciousness, he can start hacking again. And, other than just getting shot by that stupid sniper, I'm just fine!" But two can play that game.

Pudge spins the top-mounted cannon around towards the rear, and backs the tram up some more, looking to avoid blowing the whole facility to the moons. He lines up a shot at the sniper who just hit him and hits the trigger.

Rolls

Tram Cannon - (3d6+8)

(655) + 8 = 24

Mar 12, 2017 9:31 pm
Realising how right Pudge is.... Serana shoves the hacker off the walkway. "All right. Took care of the hacker. If he's not dead, he's going to wish he is.."

Rolls

melee plus Reave bonus - (1d20+9)

(14) + 9 = 23

Mar 13, 2017 9:22 pm
The hacker lands heavily. From this far up it's hard to tell if that nasty cracking noise is the sound of broken bone or smashed equipment.

Reave approves. "He won't be tapping into the cannon's controls. And he has a better chance of survival than if you'd cut his head off," she adds, as if concerned that Serana was now regretting her actions.

The Hellfire cannon streaks across the chamber. The sniper's spotter drone, sensing its master's peril, throws itself in front of her. The plasma blasts pop the mech in a burst of flame, squashing it like the bug it resembles so much.
Epril looks at Wilhelm. Then she looks at her communicator, and notes the lack of activity. She nods.

"Tell Serana I'm sorry."

And points her sword at her own neck...

"Oh, I don't think there's any need for that, Epril."

A click, and a wave of energy washes over the control centre, spreading out to the far edges of the chamber. The remote access unit spits sparks and goes dim. Despite their distance from the epicentre, Serana staggers, Pudge flinches. The tram, however, keeps on going. It's too old to be affected by a scrambler. The two surviving drones plummet out of the air. Lyra finds her damaged armour has become even more unresponsive, if that's even possible.

Wilhelm has no implants. His vibro-scythe stutters for a moment but he's otherwise completely untouched.

Epril bore the brunt. Her arm has locked in place, the blade's tip an inch from her throat. Her whole body has frozen. Only her eyes manage to move, shifting to look at the man walking towards her. The man who, somehow, she and Wilhelm had only just noticed.

It's... Moller? The tall, thin, sombre man who'd been part of Graves-Burton's expedition into the vault. The tall, thin, sombre man who activated the phase gate and, not to put too fine a point at it, died at the hands of Valon.

He's dressed all in grey, as are his two companions, who step out of the shadow as if they've always been there. Their hoods are up and their hands are hidden in the sleeves of their robes. Lyra looks completely baffled by their presence, stepping back as if suddenly confronted by demons.

"Valon will have left the planet by now," Moller continues. "So your fight is over, certainly, but neither is there any need to end it with such a meaningless gesture." He holds something up: the device that unleashed the scrambler field. It resembles a baton, or perhaps a sceptre. "And of course you failed to reactivate the cannon in time, so now I don't have to be stingy with this artifact."

Reave sends a broadcast out to Pudge and includes Serana: Let's head to the control centre. I don't like this at all: I can't pick up Wilhelm and Epril's minds anymore.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Pudge accuracy roll [+FOC] - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Mar 14, 2017 2:42 am
Wilhelm turns to the newcomer, leaving Epril to her own frozen state. "What does the dead man want?"
Mar 14, 2017 9:56 am
Rather than walking serana and Reave wait for a lift from Pudge. Together they all make their way to the centre.
OOC:
that's assuming nothing stops us.
Mar 14, 2017 11:09 am
OOC:
There's a stand-off of sorts so yeah, you won't be attacked/ambushed en route. If you prefer we can skip the travel and just assume you two both get to the control room in time to be part of the conversation.
Mar 15, 2017 3:17 pm
Serana expects to find Epril hurt or even dead. She probably wouldnt have given Wilhelm a choice. Instead when Serana walks into the room she sees her sister is a statue. "Sœur... what is going on here?"

Serana recognises the man but assumes she must be mistaken. "Who the hell are these people?"
Mar 16, 2017 7:12 pm
Pudge stands in silence, trying to make sense of the scene, and what happened when the scrambler went off.
Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm
Moller looks from Wilhelm to the others as they step in. "Oh good, you're all here." He appraises the group. "That will save time.

"What I wanted, Falstaff, was to stop Valon getting off-world. But now new plans are necessary. Plans you may all yet prove integral to.

"I represent certain interests within the Distant Order. While we all wish to minimise the impact of psionics on society, my... backers focus on preventing the emergence of pre-Schism psi. Specifically people like Valon. Or artifacts like this," he adds, indicating his sceptre.

"I have been observing you for some time. And I do believe you're the kind of people my backers are looking for, should you be interested in work."
[ +- ] Pudge

Rolls

Pudge: KNO+Tech+Psi+Reave - (1d20+8)

(8) + 8 = 16

Mar 17, 2017 2:34 am
"If your idea of stopping Valon's escape is nuking a population center then I think I'd rather liberate your limbs from the sad excuse for a brain you have. However, if coming under the employ of your 'backers' means that we kill witches our way with expanded resources and enough trust that you stop trying to murder innocent people as a means of hiding your own incompetence... then perhaps I can be persuaded to not destroy whatever minuscule structure you have that resembles a spine."
Mar 17, 2017 7:53 pm
Serana scowls at Moller. "So you're saying all this is your doing? The Mercenaries war, the plan to use the cannon?" She shakes her head. "Not interested."

"Do you have any idea how many people could've died... no, how many people already died? You and your backers can go to hell."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.