Chapter 1 - The Beginning

load previous
Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm
Aelar deftly turns the thug's blade safely away from his body. Keeping the foe's blade away from him Aelar speaks the arcane words of a spell and suddenly the thug feels pain wracking his skull

OOC: Casting Dissonant Whispers on the thug (DC 13 Wisdom Save for half damage. On failed save the foe uses reaction to move full speed away from Aelar. This movement provokes Attack of Opportunity, so I will roll that too. If I hit with the attack of opportunity I will aim to knock him out instead of killing him.

Rolls

Dissonant Whispers Damage - (3d6)

(134) = 8

Potential Attack of Opportunity - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d8+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Oct 12, 2015 11:36 pm
Realizing that she has started a small fire when one of her scorching rays missed its mark Ütés runs to the aid of the Dagger member attempting to put out the fire. She'll have her shield drawn, but weapons are sheathed as she assists with the fire.
Oct 13, 2015 2:24 am
The ruffian engaged with Aelar grabs his head and lets out a roar of pain, but is able to keep control of his senses, despite the instinctive urge to flee that is rattling through his mind.

Utes assist the dagger in dousing the flames that were starting to grow stronger. Together they have doused the fire before it grew out of control within the building.

[ GM: Crolwell and Xadira still have a turn. ]

Damage:
Ruffian 1 (prone) (asleep): 5
Ruffian 2: 0
Ruffian 3 (prone) (asleep): 8
Ruffian 4: 12

Rolls

Wisdom Saving Throw vs DC 13 - (1d20+0)

(18) = 18

Oct 13, 2015 2:41 am
Crolwell will give his axe a graceful twirl as he sends the blade catapulting toward the neck of the ruffian who was engaged with Aelar. "'Ello!" He says cheerfully.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Oct 13, 2015 3:15 am
I duck under a nearby table and aim a frosty beam at the ruffian who last attacked Crolwell (#2).

Rolls

Cast Ray of Frost - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Damage - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Oct 13, 2015 3:30 am
The ruffian engaged with Aelar gets an unhappy surprise when Crolwell's axe indeed connects with his neck.

The man who had been trying to stab wildly at Crolwell is hit with the ray of frost. Ice crackles along his arm and shoulder. In a rage he attempts to upend the entire table with Crolwell on it, however the Old Man is surprisingly heavy for his age and the man simply struggles to try and lift the table.

The other two men snooze peacefully on the ground. It is your team's turn again.

[ GM: Crolwell can add his damage roll for the attack, though I'm fairly certain I know how this outcome is going to go. ]

Damage:
Ruffian 1 (prone) (asleep): 5
Ruffian 2: 8
Ruffian 3 (prone) (asleep): 8
Ruffian 4: (Probably Dead)

Rolls

Strength Check vs DC 15 - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Oct 13, 2015 3:51 am
I release bolts of energy at the same target as before. "Everyone, please let us get out of here before this gets even more out of hand!" I back up slowly as I make my way towards the front door, getting ready to run.

Rolls

Cast Magic Missile - (3d4+3)

(143) + 3 = 11

Oct 13, 2015 4:21 am
The man, still trying to flip the table with Crolwell on it falls as the bolts hit him square in the chest. He doesn't move again. One man has been decapitated, another still smolders with magical burns. The other two are still deep in magical slumber. There are no current threats to you.

"I agree, we should leave quickly", the Dagger members says. He produces a small, but very full, purse of coins that he tosses onto the bar top. "I fear this area may not be the safest for use right now. Let's go to the Inn across the road.", he says as he moves out of the Tavern.
Oct 13, 2015 4:24 am
Aelar shakes his head sadly at the senseless loss of life. Images of slaughter flash through his mind, images from another tavern, images only half-remembered. He shakes his head to clear it and follows the man out before he becomes sick.
Last edited October 13, 2015 4:24 am
Oct 13, 2015 10:00 pm
Having extinguished the fire and hearing Xadira's plea Ütés quickly turns and moves towards the door following the others out.
Oct 14, 2015 1:09 am
Crolwell runs out of the door, quickly following Arc. Once outside he spins around and pokes his head back into the taver. Looking at the innkeeper, Crolwell will say, "Hey, mister. You might want to call the authorities. You don't want those villians waken up on you". With that Crolwell turns and shuffles after everyone else.
Oct 14, 2015 4:28 am
This dagger member leads you to the Inn across the road. At first it seems a poor place to hide out considering it is right across the road from where you just had a bar fight. Instead of bringing you upstairs to where the rooms are he brings you around the corner from the front desk into what looks like a small dead-end nook on the first level of this inn.

He takes out one of his daggers and stabs it into a small slot that is along the far wall here and you hear an audible click noise from behind a bookshelf. He swings the shelf open and a small set of stairs leading down is behind it. Torches line the wall of the stairs as they go down.

"We should be safe here, and can discuss our plans", he says as he gestures for you to enter the secret passage.
Oct 14, 2015 4:30 am
Aelar takes a deep breath and heads down the stairway, keeping an eye out for anything interesting.
Last edited October 14, 2015 4:30 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Oct 14, 2015 4:46 am
Aelar:
As you descend the stairs you find yourself in a small room with a table and some lanterns around it. There are a number of doors off of this room, one is ajar and it looks like they are bunk rooms for dagger members staying here. The main room has the table full of papers and maps of the area and island. There are also a small rack on the wall of mundane weaponry. There is also one more door that leads off from this room that is red, while all the others are green.
Oct 14, 2015 11:09 am
I follow closely behind Aelar and stop to take a long look at the map that is on the main table. Do I recognize the topography?

Rolls

History? - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Oct 14, 2015 11:57 am
Xadira:
In your quick scan of the map you can only determine that this must be the island you are currently on. There are some markings made on the map but they seem to be encoded. It's not any sort of language, more of a symbol based cypher.
Oct 14, 2015 2:47 pm
Crolwell pats the dagger member on his back and smiles. He will then find a place to sit and plop down, exhausted. "You know what, you are a bunch of kids. Take it from this veteran, if you can't skin a cat, then eat it whole".
Oct 14, 2015 10:08 pm
Taking notice of the weapons rack Ütés will move over to take a look. She'll carefully remove a few of the weapons and check for balance and such before placing them back. Grabbing a dagger she flips it in the air a few times before saying, "If you can't skin a cat it's only because you're lacking the proper tool.". Smiling at Crolwell she puts the dagger back where she found it.

Rolls

Investigate [Weapons Rack] - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Oct 15, 2015 6:06 am
Utes:
As you look over the weapons the majority of them seem pretty mundane. Nothing more than standard gear. Though as you are investigating the few long swords they have there there is one that is just a little lighter and better balanced than the rest. It seems to be honed a little sharper as well. You would identify it as a Long Sword +1. The handle has a crest on it that you can't quite identify. It's a little worn as though this blade has been around for a long time.
Oct 15, 2015 11:15 am
I have some time to kill, so while standing there I take out an ink pen and piece of parchment from my pack and attempt to crack the cypher.

Rolls

INT check? - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

load next

Thread locked