Kuldahar

load previous
Sep 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Alalla considers this for a moment, pulling the neck of her shirt aside slightly to scratch at the faint saber-tooth claw scars reaching up toward her collar bone. She had irritated them in her show to Halla.

"What do you think?" she turns the question back on him. "My opinion seems secondary on this. I know little of Erestor and nothing of your mother."
Sep 15, 2018 3:31 pm
"Well, I certainly think it's relevant. Both of them were marked as of interest in the war journal. I was thinking that perhaps we could find and take down Erestor with the others, and then, if possible, find out what's happening inside the city. I really don't want to meet my father alone...and it might provide some resolution for Halla, as well as give us another lead into Poquelin's plan, if it is, indeed, related."
Sep 15, 2018 3:44 pm
Al nods. "Makes sense. Erestor needs to be dealt with, and you need backup. Erevain and I will come with you. We can see if the others are interested. As for Halla... I'm not sure what you told her, but I gathered from our conversation that it was not that we knew about Erestor killing Arundel since before we left. She's really angry, Zenithral." She sighs, running a hand through her hair. "At all of us, but mostly you and me."
Last edited September 15, 2018 3:46 pm
Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm
Jermsy roars with glee as foe after foe falls to his magic. By the end of it, the boy is sweating from the exertion of pointing and yelling. "I did it! Brother Fergy, I beat them all! I want to be a dwarf now. Can I be a dwarf when I grow up?"

He skips along happily beside Fergy on the way back to town. Fergy thinks he sees the spark of true magic at the the boy's fingertips. Whether the day's excitement has sparked an innate talent within the boy, or whether Fergy has truly endowed him with some power, he is not sure.
OOC:
Jermsy is now a level 1 character. I'm thinking variant human rogue with the Magic Initiate feat, but he could also be a Wild Magic sorcerer. It would probably be pretty hard to convince Ilmater to take him as a cleric.
Sep 15, 2018 4:22 pm
After Mirek's declaration the rest of the men cheer. Ug's cautions are met with deaf ear as the men all stand and lift their drinks high.

One drink and our foes will feel our pain.
All hail, all hail, to the brew: Hunter's Bane!

Despite the celebration, Ug sees a deadly determination in the eyes of these men who have lived a rugged life on the frontier. Perhaps in the morning their nerve will have left them, but tonight they seem unified in following their goliath brother to whatever doom he chooses.

Either way, Whitcomb's new local favorite bears the name 'Hunter's Bane'.
Sep 15, 2018 4:46 pm
The not too lucid Ug decided the best bet will be to buy rounds of hunters bane for everyone and get them to pass out.

That’s the last thing he remembers.
Last edited September 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Rolls

All hail all hail DC 18 - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

To the mother of ug - (1d20+7)

(9) + 7 = 16

Sep 15, 2018 5:10 pm
"I'm sorry, what?" Zenithral asks, confused. "I'm fairly certain she was aware Arundel was killed. I told her Erestor specifically was the assassin when we returned, but why should the assassin's identity change anything? I guess that's more of a question for her, I suppose..."
Last edited September 15, 2018 5:10 pm
Sep 15, 2018 5:25 pm
Fergy is surprised by the boy's magic coming alive before his very eyes. Sensing a kindred trickster, Fergy let's the boy in on a little secret.

"Yes, with magic you can be a dwarf when you grow up. In fact I used to be a tiefling. But you did very well today. And if you're going down the path I think you are, let me help you out in last time." Stopping by a smith on the way back Fergy a matching pair of small things daggers (4GP). Perfect for a little rogue. "Here, I'll trade you, give me my old dagger back and you can have these. You should have a pair. That way if you need to throw one, you always have a second. Also, keep them hidden, you don't want to that lady to take them away again do you?"

Trading daggers, they return to the temple grab some food and call it a day. The books of Ilmater long forgotten.
Sep 15, 2018 5:36 pm
Alalla gives Zenithral a flat look. "Are you serious? Her father was murdered and she wants to bring his killer to justice. If you came home to your grandfather's corpse, would you just acknowledge it with a shrug? 'Well, he's dead, and that's enough for me.'" She rolls her eyes. "It's important to her. At best she probably feels like we didn't care enough about her to tell her and at worst she probably thinks we were keeping secrets. He's your father, Zenithral. It looks bad. This is what I was trying to prevent when I told you to tell her!" Al searches his eyes. "Come on, man. You're not that ignorant or callous. What were you thinking?" Her question sounds sincere.
Last edited September 15, 2018 7:48 pm
Sep 15, 2018 6:37 pm
The next day Fergy continues his teaching.

"You've got a good gig here kid. Lucky for you, you probably already know some of Ilmater's teaching. Even if you never follow his teaching, pretending can get you a free place to stay, and free gold. You could probably go to any city, go to a temple and get free stuff. Temples are easy marks. Speaking of easy marks, my big dumb friend Ug has a mission for us. It requires deception, sticky nimble fingers, and probably a distraction. You up for it? Any gold you steal and get away with will go towards some gear for you."
Sep 15, 2018 6:56 pm
Fergy finds Jermsy playing with his two new daggers. The boy looks up and grin splits his face. "Yes! Another adventure! I can be pretty sneaky, you know." He frowns for a moment. "But Ug isn't dumb. He's my friend! He saved me from orcs, even though he was naked." The boy leans forward to whisper loudly. "His bum-cloth doesn't stay on very well."
Sep 15, 2018 7:17 pm
"Ah, so you already know Ug. And yes he's a little dumb. He knows this. It's important to recognize your weaknesses so you can befriend people who make up for them. Ug is strong. Super strong. I am not. Which is why he makes a great friend. Now, since he has saved both our lives, let's head over to the Inn and repay him a bit shall we? He needs us because another thing Ug isn't is sneaky. I'll be the distraction, and you be the sneaky, and we can help out Ug together."

We then head over toward the Inn.
Sep 15, 2018 7:41 pm
Yet another flash of light and column of smoke erupt from the airship. "Geeblagh!"Uncle Oswald cracks open a window and begins airing out the interior of the ship between curses. "Radish-kissing, rothe-herding, snapple-gobbing piece of tinkertrash!"

The gnome turns to Ras, who is sitting quietly nearby. "You know, I'm wondering if this bird even deserves to fly anymore? It's broke, and I can't break it better, not without proper parts. Repairing it properly is going to be costly. Maybe it should just stay here and become a permanent piece of history. Like Granduncle Stu. We just need a medusa to turn me to stone, and I'll stay here with it forever." The older gnome sighs, and for once is completely silent - a rare sign that he is truly considering giving up on the ship.
Sep 15, 2018 7:45 pm
Aldwin sits in his customary place on a high stool, all the better to keep an eye on customers. The halfling is chewing on some stringy meat, fingers laced over his ample belly. When Fergy walks in, Aldwin sits up straight. "A new face in town! Well, you've come to the right spot. 100 gold for the night, friend!"
Sep 15, 2018 8:39 pm
Ug comes in behind fergy and pushes his way through. With a wide smile he picks up the halfling in a bear hug and carries him out of the inn in a rush. "Friend gnome! Ug just saw a full grown Snapple gob outside, you must come see!

Ug grins at Fergy and Jermsy as he runs past
Last edited September 15, 2018 8:54 pm

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Strength advantage - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm
Knowing this was going to be a mission of a pilthering nature, Fergy picked up a set of thieves tools for Jermsy and casts mage armor on both of them on the way to the Inn.

Arriving in short order Fergy and Jermsy see Ug carry out the small owner. Fergy takes the cue and casts major image. Walking over to the back door the illusion of falls over them and the back door/wall. Making it look like Fergy and Jermsy are standing nearby and the door is closed, the real two try to open the back door.
Last edited September 15, 2018 9:11 pm
Sep 15, 2018 9:15 pm
Jermsy's tongue sticks out between a gap in his teeth as he tries to work the thieves' tools, but it seems he's never actually used the large before. Even with Fergy helping, he doesn't seem to quite know how to get it. Once Fergy notices the back door isn't even locked however, it's easy to convince Jermsy he's finally done it. With a push the door opens.

It seems to be a small office room with a desk and some shelves of logbooks. Time to investigate!

Rolls

Jermsy pick lock DC 10 (adv from Fergy) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Sep 15, 2018 9:22 pm
Meanwhile, Aldwin is not pleased about being handled so roughly. "Aah! What is going on? I don't even know what a Snapple Gob is!" Try as he might, the chubby little fellow cannot wriggle out of Ug's grasp.

Rolls

Acrobatics to escape Ug - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Sep 15, 2018 9:30 pm
"I didn't---! ...But---!" Zenithral sighs, opens his mouth a few times, but says nothing, then finally speaks. "Fine...you're right. I didn't want to bring it up because I didn't want her to think less of me just because I happened to be conceived by a murdering scoundrel. Now she probably sees me as a careless liar and son of a murdering scoundrel..." he grumbled. "Simply splendid...Well, if you'll excuse me, I'll be preparing for my apology and perhaps my funeral...and the journey. Maybe this will help matters? Ugh."

Zenithral pauses, then continues with visible effort, not looking Alalla in the eye. "Well...thank you for trying to stop me from being an idiot...and I...am...sorry...for damaging Halla's opinion of you. And the others. Because of my petty fears." He exhales heavily, as if he had just exerted a great deal of effort, then looks up at her, wincing slightly.
Last edited September 15, 2018 9:31 pm
Sep 15, 2018 9:54 pm
Whispering to Jermsy Fergy says, "Help me find some important looking papers and locked places. Drawers, safes, or any false bottoms, loose floorboards, or any good place to hide important papers. Put everything back the way you find it."

Then they quickly search the place.

Rolls

Investigation with help from Jermsy - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

1d20+1 : (6) + 1 = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.